Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2015 in General

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First!
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited November 2015
    Looks like RobD wins the prize and John_M is banished to digital limbo...
    @JonathanPlaid: Never thought I'd see the day when Jeremy Corbyn would abstain on a Trident renewal vote
  • A Russian soldier has been killed in the search for the pilots of the downed jet in Syria, the Russian military says.
    @SamCoatesTimes: A veteran Lib Dem told me today the party could get 1% of the vote in the Oldham by-election and canvassers only go round in groups

@HamishP95: .@SamCoatesTimes @stephenkb Lib Dems are Evens at LadBrokes to get under 5% of the vote lump on while you can
  • Nato chief says Russian plane did enter Turkish airspace
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Are we expecting any polls for OW&R?
  • Scott_P said:

@JonathanPlaid: Never thought I'd see the day when Jeremy Corbyn would abstain on a Trident renewal vote

What happened to those famed unshakable unwavering principles?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

What happened to those famed unshakable unwavering principles?

He has others...
    Scott_P said:

Looks like RobD wins the prize and John_M is banished to digital limbo...

Cheque is in the post, OGH!
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Can we all write a collective love letter to Lord Ashcroft, asking very nicely for some by-election constituency polling...
  • Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: A veteran Lib Dem told me today the party could get 1% of the vote in the Oldham by-election and canvassers only go round in groups

@HamishP95: .@SamCoatesTimes @stephenkb Lib Dems are Evens at LadBrokes to get under 5% of the vote lump on while you can

I think I said I could see any result between 3% to 9% - that's significantly below.
  • Scott_P said:

Indeed, - not the first reaction one would expect from the CND vice-president. #sellout.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''A veteran Lib Dem told me today the party could get 1% of the vote in the Oldham by-election and canvassers only go round in groups''

If EVER there was a time, I mean EVER, to get an unpopular spending round full of tough decisions through parliament, it is now.

Osborne is a f8cking idiot if he doesn;t take the opportunity.
  • Scott_P said:

What did Andy "The Spine" Burnham do?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    edited November 2015
    Malcolm Tucker has kindly summed up Comrade Len's words. "If some c*nt can f*ck something up, that c*nt will pick the worst possible time to f*cking f*ck it up cause that c*nt's a c*nt."
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2015
    The one area where Labour and Corbyn are mightily lucky is the collapse in UKIP support as witnessed in local by elections since the GE. Had it not been for that I'd probably make UKIP odds on for Oldham now.
  • Scott_P said:

The LibDems got 0.9% at the Rochester and Strood by-election last November.
  • Can Labour stagger over the line in Oldham West? I've bet on UKIP winning because I think the value lies there. It looks set to be exciting.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Give it a year and Len will be fulminating at Corbyn "hawking his conscience round from body to body asking to be told what to do with it". It's what TGWU bosses do.
  • taffys said:

''A veteran Lib Dem told me today the party could get 1% of the vote in the Oldham by-election and canvassers only go round in groups''

If EVER there was a time, I mean EVER, to get an unpopular spending round full of tough decisions through parliament, it is now.

Osborne is a master strategist and a skilled Chancellor, but he's fully capable of missing an open goal, and having the ball hit the post and ricochet into his face: his emotional antennae are very poorly tuned.
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    scotslass said:

SimonStClare

Forcing the issue of Trident onto the political agenda seems a pretty good day to me.

If the NATS had won the vote it would have removed one of their arguments for indy. As it is they have kept their argument and put Labour on the spot. Pretty good politics if you ask me.

Also the O'Hara guy spoke pretty well I thought. He may be one to watch.

In political terms it was a coup for the SNP, Labour were utterly diminished today and their fate in May is sealed.

In terms of the debate, the SNP really need to smarten up their arguments and end the dog whistle nature of their opposition to Trident.

One of them was describing the UK "deterrent" as capable of destroying the world several times over, when in reality it would struggle to destroy a couple of Russias smaller Federal Subjects - which is why it is no deterrent at all.

Can Labour stagger over the line in Oldham West? I've bet on UKIP winning because I think the value lies there. It looks set to be exciting.

I think it's 50/50. The incumbent party have been far too complacent in a by-election situation, as usual.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34909649

Saw her berthed at Greenwich a couple of years ago. Impressive sight.

HMS Ocean, the "Flagship of the Royal Navy", is to be decommissioned after a multi-million pound refit.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the move would happen in 2018, when HMS Ocean will have "reached the end of her life", despite no mention of it in Monday's Strategic Defence and Security Review.

The Devonport-based helicopter carrier and assault ship, which is Britain's biggest warship, underwent a £65m upgrade in 2014.

Another casualty of the ridiculous, bloated Supercarrier vanity project.

Why use a cheap, inexpensive, effective ship like Ocean when you can roll in a hideously expensive Supercarrier.
    Dair said:

HMS Ocean, the "Flagship of the Royal Navy", is to be decommissioned after a multi-million pound refit.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the move would happen in 2018, when HMS Ocean will have "reached the end of her life", despite no mention of it in Monday's Strategic Defence and Security Review.

The Devonport-based helicopter carrier and assault ship, which is Britain's biggest warship, underwent a £65m upgrade in 2014.

Why use a cheap, inexpensive, effective ship like Ocean when you can roll in a hideously expensive Supercarrier.
    Because Ocean can't handle planes?
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

It's Groundhog Day again, with another thread hijacked in traditional Cyber Nat style by the ranting Dair.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

taffys said:

Osborne is a master strategist and a skilled Chancellor, but he's fully capable of missing an open goal, and having the ball hit the post and ricochet into his face: his emotional antennae are very poorly tuned.
    Osborne is a master strategist

who said comedy's dead ?
    Dair said:

Grossadmiral Dairnitz hat gesprochen.
  • on topic
    Rachel Sylvester in The Times
    ''MPs know they cannot oust Mr Corbyn less than three months after he was elected – as our poll today shows, two thirds of party members think he is doing a good job, rising to 86 per cent of those who voted for him. But they also fear that the longer they leave a coup the more the left will have secured its hold. If Labour fails to win in London, and gets trounced in local, Welsh and Scottish elections next May, they will be ready to act. But will that be too late? This is turning into a race to the death between the MPs who want to throw out their leader and the Corbynistas who want to purge the moderates.''

Where is McDonnell tomorrow?
    He ''is due to speak at a “Keep up the Momentum” meeting of the Labour Representation Committee, Waltham Forest Branch, where left-wingers are trying to seize key party positions and have discussed ousting Stella Creasy, the local MP. It is extraordinary that this should be the shadow chancellor’s priority on the day of the autumn statement.''

I think OGH is optimistic if he thinks the unions are going to pull the plug any time soon. The knives are being sharpened BY the Corbyn Crew not FOR them.
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Because Ocean can't handle planes?
    I never said it could.

The applications for which Ocean is well suited and frequently used will now have to be covered by a Supercarrier, rolling out to humanitarian missions, disaster relief and interdiction support, all of which will continue to be helicopter based.
  • Not too much of a surprise from McCluskey. He wanted Unite to back Andy Burnham but was overturned by the lay members on his Executive. That is a very rare occurrence and demonstrates the strength of feeling of the lay activists in the union.
    taffys said:

I think the LDs are 95% certain to get less than 5% of the vote. I don't understand why the bookies make them evens to reach that level.
  • Can Labour stagger over the line in Oldham West? I've bet on UKIP winning because I think the value lies there. It looks set to be exciting.

Agreed, although I too think Lab will win. The result will be a lot closer than the odds would imply.

Dair said:

.. he cleaned the windows and he swept the floor,
    and he polished up the handle of the big front door.

:D
    watford30 said:

Dair said:

It's Groundhog Day again, with another thread hijacked in traditional Cyber Nat style by the ranting Dair.
    The arguments won't change with every new story that emerges on what the UK's defence is going to lose because of the commitment to the Supercarriers.

But they are still worth stating each time a new story emerges.

Ocean is a very effective ship and has been a mainstay for the bulk of active roles the RN has been involved in over the last 20 years. And now that capability is going. That is bad for the RN and bad for the UK.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Agreed, although I too think Lab will win. The result will be a lot closer than the odds would imply. ''

In his interview with the NS, Bickley hinted the Asian vote may not be as solid for labour as some might expect. DYOR.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    AndyJS said:

taffys said:

I think the LDs are 95% certain to get less than 5% of the vote. I don't understand why the bookies make them evens to reach that level.
    I'm on them to be above 5%, because turnout could likely be very low, and they have flooded the constituency with activists.

If each LibDem activist in OW&R gets out 5 of the voters who voted LD in May, they'll save their deposit. That seems like a fair bet.
    RobD said:

Dair said:

I take it your drooling personal attacks reflect the complete paucity of any argument in favour of the Supercarriers.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/simon-jenkins-our-response-to-paris-plays-straight-into-terrorists-hands-a3121876.html

Superb piece by Simon Jenkins debunking our obsession with spending more billions on "big toys" in the illusion they keep us safe. Doing the small things well is far more effective than strutting around pretending we can buy ourselves safety and security.

Today's events show the hugely complex situation in Syria and the "alliance" against IS operating to very different agendas.

Wasting public money on big ticket defence items at the same time as police numbers are being cut makes no sense at all.

RobD said:

Dair said:

I polished up that handle so carefullee
    That now I am the Ruler of the Nat's Navee!

Can Labour stagger over the line in Oldham West? I've bet on UKIP winning because I think the value lies there. It looks set to be exciting.

My bets are on (a) low turnout; (b) UKIP winning; and (c) on the LDs saving their deposit.

(a) and (b) look better bets right now :-)
  • http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/jeremy-corbyn-media-training-syria-rebellion/31900

The briefing in brief: "A planned lengthy session with a professional coach was much abbreviated and left some members of the team a little exasperated. Mr Corbyn told aides he’d simply forgotten the appointment."
  • Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

The arguments won't change with every new story that emerges on what the UK's defence is going to lose because of the commitment to the Supercarriers.

But they are still worth stating each time a new story emerges.

Ocean is a very effective ship and has been a mainstay for the bulk of active roles the RN has been involved in over the last 20 years. And now that capability is going. That is bad for the RN and bad for the UK.
    Its not a supercarrier even if it is too big for our needs. 3 40,000 tonne ships would have been better, but the costs of building would still be there.
    It is the weapon system we inherited and can be used perfectly adequately. It is just one sytem that we are bringing into service.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

taffys said:

There was a lot of talk that Labour would lose moderate voters to the LD in Oldham.
    However that doesn't stand up, because in Oldham the Labour MP was a hardline leftie so he wouldn't have got many moderate voters in May anyway.

I made a prediction of Labour 55-65, UKIP on around 30 and the Tories at 10 with LD lost deposit long ago.
    Events since then haven't changed that prediction much, perhaps Labour will get closer to 50 than I expected and UKIP to 35.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    So on Monday we had the utter humiliation of the defence review and Jonny nomates. Today we have 20 Labour MPs defying the whip and voting on the SNP motion. Tomorrow we have the Autumn Statement and spending review. We also had a meeting of the PLP that went so well that no one other than McDonnell was allowed to talk about it.

Even by Corbyn standards this is quite a week.
    DavidL said:

So on Monday we had the utter humiliation of the defence review and Jonny nomates. Today we have 20 Labour MPs defying the whip and voting on the SNP motion. Tomorrow we have the Autumn Statement and spending review. We also had a meeting of the PLP that went so well that no one other than McDonnell was allowed to talk about it.

and another four and a half years of it to go !
    Would anyone like to bet me some more money on a LD lost deposit in Oldham?

AndyJS, Speedy, others: money where you mouthes are guys
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Reuters reports hostage situation in Roubaix with some gunshot wounds.
    edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

taffys said:

I'm on them to be above 5%, because turnout could likely be very low, and they have flooded the constituency with activists.

If each LibDem activist in OW&R gets out 5 of the voters who voted LD in May, they'll save their deposit. That seems like a fair bet.
    The cut off for a deposit is around 1400 votes based the on maximum turnout I expect (a little under 40%), the LD got 1589 votes in May, I don't expect them all to turn out for a December by-election in a constituency they don't have many votes anyway and zero chance of winning.
    If Turnout crashes to a bit lower than 20% which is the minimum of my expectations, then the LD have a chance since they would only need 700 votes.
  • taffys said:

who said comedy's dead ?
    He's helped win two general elections, helped gain about 150 net seats over them and vanquished the Lib Dems taking their seats after using them.

If that's not masterful what is?

taffys said:

who said comedy's dead ?
    He's helped win two general elections, helped gain about 150 net seats over them and vanquished the Lib Dems taking their seats after using them.

If that's not masterful what is?
    he didn't win 2010 it was a coalition and Crosby won 2015.

• PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

If you'll offer me 6/4, I'll bite.

:)
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

taffys said:

The cut off for a deposit is around 1400 votes based the on maximum turnout I expect (a little under 40%), the LD got 1589 votes in May, I don't expect them all to turn out for a December by-election in a constituency they don't have many votes anyway and zero chance of winning.
    If Turnout crashes to a bit lower than 20% which is the minimum of my expectations, then the LD have a chance since they would only need 700 votes.
    Come on - a fiver on the deposit?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

on topic
    Rachel Sylvester in The Times
    ''MPs know they cannot oust Mr Corbyn less than three months after he was elected – as our poll today shows, two thirds of party members think he is doing a good job, rising to 86 per cent of those who voted for him. But they also fear that the longer they leave a coup the more the left will have secured its hold. If Labour fails to win in London, and gets trounced in local, Welsh and Scottish elections next May, they will be ready to act. But will that be too late? This is turning into a race to the death between the MPs who want to throw out their leader and the Corbynistas who want to purge the moderates.''

Where is McDonnell tomorrow?
    He ''is due to speak at a “Keep up the Momentum” meeting of the Labour Representation Committee, Waltham Forest Branch, where left-wingers are trying to seize key party positions and have discussed ousting Stella Creasy, the local MP. It is extraordinary that this should be the shadow chancellor’s priority on the day of the autumn statement.''

I think OGH is optimistic if he thinks the unions are going to pull the plug any time soon. The knives are being sharpened BY the Corbyn Crew not FOR them.

67% think he is doing a good job, 86% of those who voted for him, Lab membership number of "a", new members of "b"....has anyone solved the simultaneous equations to find out how many three quidders think he is doing a good job now vs when they joined (when presumably (100% x b) thought he was doing a good job)?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m1 minute ago
    Reuters: Medical services say several people have been wounded in an ongoing hostage situation in the northern French town of #Roubaix
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited November 2015
    Corbyn will stay to 2017.

God willing
    rcs1000 said:

The LD chances are based on Turnout, if it's snowing on by-election day they might make it if their last supporters turn out despite the weather, I'm not willing to risk it over the Met.Office weather predictions 10 days from now.
    Pass.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

Having been of the view, in the immediate aftermath of Paris, that we needed to be part of the bombing campaign against IS (given three of the other Permanent members of the UNSC are already actively involved), I'm now much less certain.

As Jenkins and others have argued, how effective is a purely aerial campaign ? Yes, it supports the indigenous ground troops but so they have what it takes to capture Raqqa, Mosul and Palmyra among other places ?

Today has shown the tensions within the anti-IS grouping and the competing and contradictory agendas at work. Even if IS is destroyed, what then ? Where is the comprehensive political settlement for Iraq and Syria ? We destroyed AQ in Afghanistan only for its diaspora to infect Europe, Asia and Africa. The real battle against IS isn't just around Raqqa and Mosul but is to be fought here, within families and communities.

Sacrificing our freedom on the altar of intrusive legislation for a vague and unverifiable promise of safety and security can't be all we have to offer ourselves. Cultural and moral battles can't be won by making new laws and enforcing new rules and diktats.
    dr_spyn said:

Reuters: Medical services say several people have been wounded in an ongoing hostage situation in the northern French town of #Roubaix

Belgian ISIS strikes again.

DavidL said:

I know. For a 66 year old you must admire his stamina. A man half his age would be struggling to fit that many fiascos and disasters into a week.
  • I'm moderately interested, as a thought experiment, in working out what I would do if I were a non-Corbinyte Labour MP. I can see what my ultimate goal would be -a credible and popular mainstream Labour leadership challenger. And I can work back a bit to see what the penultimate parts of the process would be. But I can't see a way to get there from here - in short, where to begin ?
    Openly mock Labour's election prospects and wait? Or what ? Organise? Organise what, with whom?
  • This time Clegg beat Farage, Oxford Union voting 283 in favour of staying in the EU, with 73 against.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/23/nick-clegg-eu-referendum-oxford_n_8634084.html
    edited November 2015
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I know. For a 66 year old you must admire his stamina. A man half his age would be struggling to fit that many fiascos and disasters into a week.
    I wish I'd gone in to popcorn manufacturing instead of engineering !
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited November 2015
    stodge said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/simon-jenkins-our-response-to-paris-plays-straight-into-terrorists-hands-a3121876.html

Superb piece by Simon Jenkins debunking our obsession with spending more billions on "big toys" in the illusion they keep us safe. Doing the small things well is far more effective than strutting around pretending we can buy ourselves safety and security.

Today's events show the hugely complex situation in Syria and the "alliance" against IS operating to very different agendas.

Wasting public money on big ticket defence items at the same time as police numbers are being cut makes no sense at all.

Another good post from Mr Stodge. Mrs C and I watched the 10pm News last night with mounting disbelief. Where's all this money come from? Mrs C, who once had Tory sympathies, but is rapidly moving to outflank me on the Left, opined that it was coming from the poor!
    Cameron and Osborne really are a pair of nasty pieces of work.
  • Individual Corbynistas like NickP can enjoy the self-indulgence of perpetual, but pure, opposition. The trade unions cannot. They know that under never-ending Tory government they will be emasculated completely. They need a Labour government. And they are rapidly finding out that under Corbyn and the far left they will never get one. Len may have to bite his tongue and compromise but he cannot afford a dead duck as LOTO.
  • dr_spyn said:

Isn't that right on the Belgian border?

edited November 2015

dr_spyn said:

It's like West Bromwich without the scenic bits.

dr_spyn said:

Pretty much

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I always find popcorn pretty pointless. It and Corbyn are pretty well matched.

I take it you will cheering George on tomorrow as always?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nah I'll leave that til Thursday when we find out all the things he didn't tell us.

The EEF will be pretty downbeat about his contribution.

dr_spyn said:

Well it's only a short way from the ISIS capital, Brussels.
  • dr_spyn said:

It's like West Bromwich without the scenic bits.

Paris-Roubaix - the hell of the north. Watch those cobblestones.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Quinnipiac GOP Iowa

Donald Trump 25% [20%]
    Ted Cruz 23% [10%]
    Ben Carson 18% [28%]
    Marco Rubio 13% [13%]
    Rand Paul 5% [6%]
    Jeb Bush 4% [5%]
    Carly Fiorina 3% [5%]
    Chris Christie 2% [1%]
    Mike Huckabee 2% [2%]
    Rick Santorum 2% [1%]
    John Kasich 1% [3%]
    Jim Gilmore 0% [0%]
    Lindsey Graham 0% [0%]
    George Pataki 0% [0%]
    Undecided – 2% [3%]
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/iowa/release-detail?ReleaseID=2305

• Speedy said:

dr_spyn said:

I have three fun-filled days there next week, hopefully.

edited November 2015
    Police confirm shots fired in Roubaix.

Reuters - several people have gunshot wounds. A bank director and his family maybe taken.

AFP - several gunmen have taken hostages. An 'operation' is underway
    edited November 2015
    HYUFD said:

Quinnipiac GOP Iowa

Donald Trump 25% [20%]
    Ted Cruz 23% [10%]
    Ben Carson 18% [28%]
    Marco Rubio 13% [13%]
    Rand Paul 5% [6%]
    Jeb Bush 4% [5%]
    Carly Fiorina 3% [5%]
    Chris Christie 2% [1%]
    Mike Huckabee 2% [2%]
    Rick Santorum 2% [1%]
    John Kasich 1% [3%]
    Jim Gilmore 0% [0%]
    Lindsey Graham 0% [0%]
    George Pataki 0% [0%]
    Undecided – 2% [3%]
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/iowa/release-detail?ReleaseID=2305

Trump and Cruz the only ones gaining traction, 70 days to go till Iowa.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited November 2015

Another good post from Mr Stodge. Mrs C and I watched the 10pm News last night with mounting disbelief. Where's all this money come from? Mrs C, who once had Tory sympathies, but is rapidly moving to outflank me on the Left, opined that it was coming from the poor!

No it's the ~2% of GDP more or less everybody, bar Corbynites, agrees we need to spend on defence.

Not really, they just happen to take defence seriously unlike the comedy "opposition".

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nah I'll leave that til Thursday when we find out all the things he didn't tell us.

I think this is one of his toughest gigs since he was appointed. None of the numbers are moving his way and yet the demands for increased spending are everywhere.

There is a serious risk of an internationally driven slow down next year which will make cutting the deficit even harder. I suspect we might see some tax increases being sneaked through- maybe revisiting fuel duty in light of the fall in the oil price? I really don't see how the numbers add up otherwise.

edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

I'll put £10 on it. What are the odds? (Wrong way round, I know).
    Calm down everyone:

Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 40s40 seconds ago
    UPDATE: Situation in #Roubaix a bank robbery, not terror-related. As such, will end coverage.
    Regarding the Turkmen shooting the descending and defenseless pilots, did they not see The Great Escape and understand what happened to the perpetrators after the war?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think this is one of his toughest gigs since he was appointed. None of the numbers are moving his way and yet the demands for increased spending are everywhere.

There is a serious risk of an internationally driven slow down next year which will make cutting the deficit even harder. I suspect we might see some tax increases being sneaked through- maybe revisiting fuel duty in light of the fall in the oil price? I really don't see how the numbers add up otherwise.

It's not about spending, though it's about reform, If he doesn;t undertake reform now then our motor for growth remains borrowing more. He baulked at this stage in the last Parliament, I can't see chicken george do much differently tomorrow.

HYUFD said:
    "Vote for me, my dad was a bartender"

This is how you do a political ad:

https://www.instagram.com/p/-bz5HWGhXZ/?taken-by=realdonaldtrump
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    Roubaix not terror related, "just" an armed robbery
    Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

I take it your drooling personal attacks reflect the complete paucity of any argument in favour of the Supercarriers.
    I am not an expert in the field, so I probably shouldn't comment as such.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:
    Rubio has such an annoying weak voice. I couldn't imagine him as President on those grounds alone.
    Looks like Seb Coe is in trouble over awarding 2021 world championships to Eugene, Oregon.

He is also a paid 'adviser' to Nike.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Tim_B said:

Looks like Seb Coe is in trouble over awarding 2021 world championships to Eugene, Oregon.

His interests are FULLY DECLARED
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Quinnipiac GOP Iowa

Donald Trump 25% [20%]
    Ted Cruz 23% [10%]
    Ben Carson 18% [28%]
    Marco Rubio 13% [13%]
    Rand Paul 5% [6%]
    Jeb Bush 4% [5%]
    Carly Fiorina 3% [5%]
    Chris Christie 2% [1%]
    Mike Huckabee 2% [2%]
    Rick Santorum 2% [1%]
    John Kasich 1% [3%]
    Jim Gilmore 0% [0%]
    Lindsey Graham 0% [0%]
    George Pataki 0% [0%]
    Undecided – 2% [3%]

Trump and Cruz the only ones gaining traction, 70 days to go till Iowa.
    Yep
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

This is how you do a political ad:

https://www.instagram.com/p/-bz5HWGhXZ/?taken-by=realdonaldtrump
    Good ad though again too reliant on backstory
    Dan Jarvis is putting his own list of demands to support Cameron over Syria:

http://labourlist.org/2015/11/jarvis-sets-five-tests-for-backing-military-action-in-syria/?utm_source=hootsuite

“First, we need clarity about the difference that extending Britain’s intervention will make to hastening Isis’s defeat. Our role should not solely be justified by solidarity, but on how we can make a practical difference.

“Second, any military action must be accompanied by a diplomatic plan to broker a political agreement to end the conflict in Syria… No adequate long-term solution can have any place for a dictator [President Assad] who has used chemical weapons against his own people…

“In the longer term a presence will be needed on the ground to keep the peace. This needs to be led by troops from the region – otherwise we risk reinforcing Isis’s narrative. Britain must therefore work closely with countries in the region to develop a plan.

“Third, we should be using our economic power as well as military resources. Isis is trading like a state, so we need to follow the money. That should include economic sanctions, cutting off the finances and targeting the human trafficking operations that fund its bloodshed.

“Fourth, the prime minister must provide assurances that post-conflict reconstruction is not being treated as an afterthought. Syria is a failed state with broken institutions, and will need to be rebuilt.”

"Finally the government must include in its plan “measures to strengthen community cohesion, give our police the resources they need, and prevent extremism from finding a voice in our communities.”

I can't see Cameron doing all these, Jarvis probably knows that.
    Some guy called Michael Ventre is planning to swim from NYC to London England in 2017 for charity. He tried swimming the channel and almost made it.

http://www.newyorktolondonswim.com/
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Speedy said:

I have three fun-filled days there next week, hopefully.

I'll be there on Tuesday for a couple of meetings. We can meet and share thoughts on Jeremy :-)

Tim_B said:

His interests are FULLY DECLARED
    Declared or not it's a conflict of interest. The BBC has emails proving that he discussed the bid with at least one Nike executive.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's not about spending, though it's about reform, If he doesn;t undertake reform now then our motor for growth remains borrowing more. He baulked at this stage in the last Parliament, I can't see chicken george do much differently tomorrow.

What sort of reform?

In this Parliament and the last we have seen a major increase in apprenticeships, we have seen steps taken to reform benefits, we have seen improved regulation by the Bank of financial institutions, we have seen decent growth (admittedly driven in part by continuing borrowing), we are starting to see significant increases in productivity, we have seen simply stunning increases in employment, we have seen an end to spurious UD claims and we have seen innovative steps taken to force the rich and the international companies to pay more.

I would like to see NI and IT combined, a massive simplification of the tax code, reductions in regulation (held up by Cable), less current spending and more capital investment but these are easy things to wish for and very hard things for a Chancellor with no money to ease delivery to provide.

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

I'll put £10 on it. What are the odds? (Wrong way round, I know).
    Evens! So we're both getting slightly better odds than the bookies (who are offering 5/6)
  • Scott_P said:

I thought that we were assured that the Lib Dems were going to do far better than their GE showing in Oldham due to all the effort that the party could now focus on the seat? Fact is - as the Lib Dems well know - at by-elections particularly, when the turnout's low and so those who do vote are proportionately more tuned-in - if you're not in the running then you're likely to get squeezed if it looks tight at the top.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,609
    glw said:

No it's the ~2% of GDP more or less everybody, bar Corbynites, agrees we need to spend on defence.

Not really, they just happen to take defence seriously unlike the comedy "opposition".
    Its worth noting that the SDSR lays out plans to spend £178Bn over ten years. The Welfare bill for *this* year is £171Bn.

The total for Welfare + NHS + Education + Housing is north of £330Bn. Per year.
This discussion has been closed.