Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The favourite to be next Labour leader has now decided he w

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The favourite to be next Labour leader has now decided he wants Corbyn’s job

I understand that [Dan] Jarvis now wants to be Labour leader – and when a vacancy arises he will go for it. He is not perfect, and he will not be the only candidate. Yet Jarvis can count on more support than he would have had earlier this summer. The question is, in what form will that vacancy arise – in a bloody coup or when Corbyn decides to stand down?

Read the full story here

Comments

• PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Simon Danczuk has already said he's willing to be a "stalking horse" - although he talked about a May 'mandelson' timetable. However, this was before the by-election appeared - so it's possible it could all kick off next week if Labour don't breeze it like they should...
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pauly said:

it's possible it could all kick off next week if Labour don't breeze it like they should...

And it's likely the PLP will do nothing at all.

Again.
  • The seven important words in that paragraph are "he will not be the only candidate". There ain't going to be a coronation if that's right. That would make planning any coup a lot more complicated.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The seven important words in that paragraph are "he will not be the only candidate". There ain't going to be a coronation if that's right. That would make planning any coup a lot more complicated.

Having a unity candidate to stand against Corbyn will be very important.

The MPs need to have a pre-vote to decide who to support, and then all get behind that choice.

Which means all the non-Corbynites working together. Hmmm, I might have found a flaw with the plan.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

The seven important words in that paragraph are "he will not be the only candidate". There ain't going to be a coronation if that's right. That would make planning any coup a lot more complicated.

An important consideration is that if JC quits will another candidate from the left be able to get enough support from MPs to get on the ballot. I think not, and that is why JC wants to stay until the next GE.
  • The seven important words in that paragraph are "he will not be the only candidate". There ain't going to be a coronation if that's right. That would make planning any coup a lot more complicated.

An important consideration is that if JC quits will another candidate from the left be able to get enough support from MPs to get on the ballot. I think not, and that is why JC wants to stay until the next GE.
    Or till he's fixed the eligibility criteria.
    If it is a challenger v Corbyn, then only someone of the 'soft left' would have a chance of pealing away enough Corbyn voters to stand a chance. If it were to be Corbyn v Chukka, then it would be over 60% for JC, for example.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Pauly said:

Simon Danczuk has already said he's willing to be a "stalking horse" - although he talked about a May 'mandelson' timetable. However, this was before the by-election appeared - so it's possible it could all kick off next week if Labour don't breeze it like they should...

A few months ago the Labour Party members elected Corrbyn with a very high mandate to lead the party. How are they going to react to any stalking horse, overthrow etc? I suspect that part is likely to be the messy issue here more than what happens in the PLP.
  • @LOS_Fisher: A trusted Labour mole in Oldham tells me one of Momentum's 5 vast coaches disgorged only 9 activists...

That depends how credible the deselection threats are at that point.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    A little late? :D
  • Apart from an army pension, does Dan Jarvis have any qualities that would make him more electable than the shower who stood last time?

• SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2015
    ‘The PLP is going to have to take one for the team’

They couldn’t get their act together under Brown or Ed, when there were some big beasts within the party. Looking ot the leadership candidates and the front-bench today, the PLP is just a shell of what they were.

Or till he's fixed the eligibility criteria.
    You say fixed, others would say 'democratised'!

@LOS_Fisher: A trusted Labour mole in Oldham tells me one of Momentum's 5 vast coaches disgorged only 9 activists...

Something something ground game?
  • FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    The Tories took over 2 years before moving against IDS. Why does Labour need to rush?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,761
    Dunblane's attempt to win the Davis cup still on target. What a weekend of sport.
    Moses_ said:

Pauly said:

A few months ago the Labour Party members elected Corrbyn with a very high mandate to lead the party. How are they going to react to any stalking horse, overthrow etc? I suspect that part is likely to be the messy issue here more than what happens in the PLP.
    I don't he cares at this point - this is the man openly tweeting pictures of him with Carswell drinking and repeatedly writing newspaper pieces provocative to Corbyn's leadership.
    He's prepared to do it, the question is whether someone sensible will beat him to it.

Alternatively, Corbyn plans to stand down before 2020 in time to let yet another centrist go down fighting at the general election, proving once more that Corbyn was right that Tory-lite is not the answer. 2020 will in any case bring more MPs from his wing of the party.
  • RobD said:

@LOS_Fisher: A trusted Labour mole in Oldham tells me one of Momentum's 5 vast coaches disgorged only 9 activists...

Poor IOS

Must say, I prefer the term "debouching".... ;)
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Isn't there some covert campaign to identify an alternative leader using Hillary stuff as camouflage?

Having a unity candidate to stand against Corbyn will be very important.

The MPs need to have a pre-vote to decide who to support, and then all get behind that choice.

Which means all the non-Corbynites working together. Hmmm, I might have found a flaw with the plan.

• Fernando said:

The Tories took over 2 years before moving against IDS. Why does Labour need to rush?

Because the longer Corbyn stays, the more damage he does to Labour.
  • ‘The PLP is going to have to take one for the team’

They couldn’t get their act together under Brown or Ed, when there were some big beasts within the party. Looking ot the leadership candidates and the front-bench today, the PLP is just a shell of what they were.

Precisely. Shadow Cabinet members need to make names for themselves by taking Tory scalps, not posturing against Corbyn. Otherwise when a vacancy does arise, they have nothing to campaign on.
    Fernando said:

The longer they wait the more the Labour brand is tainted. I think it's quite serious personally.
  • @LOS_Fisher: A trusted Labour mole in Oldham tells me one of Momentum's 5 vast coaches disgorged only 9 activists...

Momentums purpose is to campaign against labour MPs, not for them.
    At least no one can rubbish his willingness to defend our country and his patriotism.

Apart from an army pension, does Dan Jarvis have any qualities that would make him more electable than the shower who stood last time?

• runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    who?

I wonder if there are 43 slightly confused people with red rosettes still wandering around the coach park of Stafford services?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2015
    What a surprise that a bunch of lefty Londoners didn't actually want to visit a gritty northern town when it came down to it. Hypocrites.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited November 2015
    AndyJS said:

What a surprise that a bunch of lefty Londoners didn't actually want to visit a gritty northern town when it came down to it. Hypocrites.

The Momentum coaches came from all over the country, so it might not have been the London one, one even came from Sheffield.

Edit: @schneiderhome: Today @PeoplesMomentum have coaches coming from London, Birmingham, Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield to Oldham to campaign for Labour #IbackJim
    I called it virtue-canvassing yesterday - I wonder how many who signed up and didn't show will confess - or are busy using Google Streetview as a crib... :wink:
    AndyJS said:

Moses_ said:

A few months ago the Labour Party members elected Corrbyn with a very high mandate to lead the party. How are they going to react to any stalking horse, overthrow etc?

The three quidders elected Corbyn

Members of longer standing are quitting
    edited November 2015
    Surely Corbyn is safe so long as Uncle Len and others like the FBU support him. They're the money men.
    Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

A few months ago the Labour Party members elected Corrbyn with a very high mandate to lead the party. How are they going to react to any stalking horse, overthrow etc?

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2015
    AndyJS said:

Corbynism sweeping the nation...They were all too busy on twitter to actually leave their homes.

Surely Corbyn is safe so long as Uncle Len and others like the FBU support him.

The FBU support him. Not so sure Len does
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2015
    Labour won't get rid of Corbyn (if doesn't lose the by-election). They just don't do the dirty when it comes to getting rid of leaders, instead they spend their weekends briefing that if only they could get rid. We have heard it all before.
    Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Corbyn won among full members, he didn't have to rely on 3-quidders.

No evidence of any resignations in our branch. No influx of Trots either.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited November 2015
    Decrepid..maybe we should just overlook his service in the front line.. he was obviously risking his life just for his pension...duh..
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

I nearly posted this picture last night but couldn't be bothered. Tables full with hungry activists...

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/670668566304317440
  • How's IDS working out?

At least no one can rubbish his willingness to defend our country and his patriotism.

Apart from an army pension, does Dan Jarvis have any qualities that would make him more electable than the shower who stood last time?

@FraserNelson: John McDonnell: Ukip is ‘an evil force within our society’ https://t.co/4y1nC8D2Dp https://t.co/H1qF6p0Nii
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

The truth means nothing to Scott.
    edited November 2015
    It’s too easy to say the party’s woes are down to Jeremy Corbyn. The fault lies with people who are even less easy to remove ...

If Labour actually lose [Oldham], meanwhile, I bet the next poll of party members will show they support Mr Corbyn even more strongly than ever – out of sheer, bloody-minded defiance. They’ll never accept they picked an unsuitable leader. Or that they themselves are out of touch with the wider electorate.

Some Labour MPs are itching to topple their leader. Frankly, they’re dreaming. Do they really imagine that the multitudes who elected Mr Corbyn by a landslide would stand for it? Because remember, he wasn’t just the choice of the casual £3 voters. He was, by some distance, the choice of the party faithful, too.

Labour is a party whose future is unwittingly being ruined by its own members.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12021720/Labour-a-party-being-destroyed-by-its-own-members.html
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Fernando said:

I think Corbyn is doing far more damage to Labour brand than IDS did to the Tory one. (That's to say, I think most of the harm had already been done in the Tories' case.)
    Pauly said:

Moses_ said:

Pauly said:

I don't he cares at this point - this is the man openly tweeting pictures of him with Carswell drinking and repeatedly writing newspaper pieces provocative to Corbyn's leadership.
    He's prepared to do it, the question is whether someone sensible will beat him to it.
    Yes have to agree. Nothing else to lose at this point really. There is going to be some significant fallout though from the grass roots particularly if as mentioned up thread they cannot mange to get another extreme leftie on the ballot as well. The rank and file are not going to like it and I suspect unlike the PLP will not be as compliant and the long term damage and rivalry between term will fester.
  • Off topic, while researching something else I found that John Bickley, the UKIP candidate, does not have a wikipedia page. On closer investigation I found that he had previously had one but that wikipedia had decided to delete it because he was not notable enough.

That seems, to put it mildly given the articles devoted to highly marginal individuals that can be found on there, a surprising editorial decision.
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Off topic, while researching something else I found that John Bickley, the UKIP candidate, does not have a wikipedia page. On closer investigation I found that he had previously had one but that wikipedia had decided to delete it because he was not notable enough.

That seems, to put it mildly given the articles devoted to highly marginal individuals that can be found on there, a surprising editorial decision.

Would be great if he wins and goes off on a rant about that in his victory speech.
    Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Did they have that many 3 quidders to actually make that sort of difference? Fine if they did but wasn't my initial understanding of the vote pattern.
  • Apart from an army pension, does Dan Jarvis have any qualities that would make him more electable than the shower who stood last time?

You could have said that of Cameron in September 2005.

• The crowd at the Davis Cup are putting me off watching it

The crowd at the Davis Cup are putting me off watching it

Are they that ugly? :D
    A guidance document for junior doctors on how to picket discloses plans for army medics to provide cover on strike days http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12022876/Army-poised-to-cover-for-striking-NHS-doctors.html
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    MP_SE said:
    Feel sorry for poor Abby. Most of the corbynistas on that tweet have blamed it a) the media b) lies because they've met loads of people who will now vote Corbyn. The argument over Corbyn and his followers has basically descended into a farce.
  • Off topic, while researching something else I found that John Bickley, the UKIP candidate, does not have a wikipedia page. On closer investigation I found that he had previously had one but that wikipedia had decided to delete it because he was not notable enough.

I think their rule is that in general, politicians only become notable once elected.
  • RobD said:

The crowd at the Davis Cup are putting me off watching it

Are they that ugly? :D
    The delightful Kim certainly isn't.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Among the Full Members Corbyn came top, but he didn't get over 50%. If it had gone to a second and third round (of members only) Corbyn may still have won but not defiantly, and it would have been close. Almost all of LK and the vast majority of YK voters would have switched to AB. Still that's all in the past now.

What isn't in the past, is the large number of new members that have joined since, some ex 3-quidders, some for many tiny Socialist/Communist/Marxist/Trotskyist/Leninist/Moist groups that still exist. The question I would like speculation on, is, which group will gat tired and board first, the long them and moderate members, or the new and more extreme left wing? the pore tern out on the Momentum busses, makes me think it may be the newer members.

Off topic, while researching something else I found that John Bickley, the UKIP candidate, does not have a wikipedia page. On closer investigation I found that he had previously had one but that wikipedia had decided to delete it because he was not notable enough.

I think their rule is that in general, politicians only become notable once elected.
    Gotta feel sorry for those lords!!
  • RobD said:

Poor IOS
    He may have been one of the 9 who got off the coach.
  • @Jack_Blanchard_: Blimey. Fighting talk from Red Len. "Any attempt to force Labour’s leader out will be resisted all the way by Unite” https://t.co/IODzJSddda
    And the weather is perfect for canvassing! http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/oldham/ol9-6/daily-weather-forecast/329263?day=1#

RobD said:

Poor IOS
    He may have been one of the 9 who got off the coach.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

Gotta feel sorry for those lords!!
    I think so quite often too ....

• isamisam Posts: 40,722
    Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: John McDonnell: Ukip is ‘an evil force within our society’ https://t.co/4y1nC8D2Dp https://t.co/H1qF6p0Nii

He is more crackers than Corbyn
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

He is more crackers than Corbyn
    Almost seasonal then ....

@PolhomeEditor: Labour source: "JC says it's the leader that decides whipping arrangements. That's not true, it's the Shadow Cabinet (which backs bombing)."
  • @Jack_Blanchard_: Blimey. Fighting talk from Red Len. "Any attempt to force Labour’s leader out will be resisted all the way by Unite” https://t.co/IODzJSddda

Tissue Price's quote from Waiting For Godot is going to be the tagline of the Labour party in this Parliament:

"I can't go on like this."
    "That's what you think."
  • SeanT said:

Wikipedia is infested with leftwing editors who slant the site, sometimes quite horribly.

I wrote about it for the Telegraph.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100229154/the-murder-of-stephen-lawrence-and-the-strange-case-of-the-missing-wikipedia-entries/

And check this entry on cultural Marxism - its critics are simply labelled as right wing racist nutters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School#Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory
    Brilliant article Sean
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    GB wins the Davis Cup for the first time since 1936, well done the Murrays!
  • HYUFD said:

True Brits!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited November 2015
    I've just been texted that the police have turned up at CCHQ.
    If Labour has to replace Corbyn they will need to unite around one candidate as the Tories did around Michael Howard, yougov last week had Benn and Jarvis the favoured candidates by party members who voted for Corbyn if Corbyn were to be replaced so Jarvis could certainly be in the mix

Tissue Price's quote from Waiting For Godot is going to be the tagline of the Labour party in this Parliament:

"That's what you think."
    Someone needs to a Lemmings based thread :lol:

What's going down?
  • RobD said:

What's going down?
    Have no idea, but it could be to do with the Mark Clarke/Elliott Johnson story
    edited November 2015

HYUFD said:

True Brits!
    Yes, Andy draped in Union flag despite backing Yes last year
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

A guidance document for junior doctors on how to picket discloses plans for army medics to provide cover on strike days http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12022876/Army-poised-to-cover-for-striking-NHS-doctors.html
    Miss Plato, should, God forbid, I have occasion to visit A & E on one of the Doctors' strike days and meet any pickets then I will summon up if need be the last reserves of my strength to spit in their faces. Should I have the strength I will do violence unto them, maybe a Glasgow Kiss or a simple knee in the nadgers. Anyone who is prepared, in furtherance of their own pay packet, to let the people they are employed to serve lie in pain and even die is in my view so far beyond the pale that to call them scum would be an unnecessary compliment.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/John_Bickley_(UKIP)

RobD said:

What's going down?
    Have no idea, but it could be to do with the Mark Clarke/Elliott Johnson story
    I may or may not have tipped them off that we are overdue an AV magnum opus......

"That's what you think."
    Labour certainly has its fair share of diggers, blockers, bombers and bashers.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    viewcode said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/John_Bickley_(UKIP)
    Strangely, Jim McMahon seems worthy of a page longer than most MPs for his work as a councilor.
    SeanT said:

Wikipedia is infested with leftwing editors who slant the site, sometimes quite horribly.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100229154/the-murder-of-stephen-lawrence-and-the-strange-case-of-the-missing-wikipedia-entries/

And check this entry on cultural Marxism - its critics are simply labelled as right wing racist nutters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School#Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory
    It would be more accurate to say it is captured by cliques: left-wing pages by left-wingers, right-wing by right-wingers, and so on.

"That's what you think."
    Labour certainly has its fair share of diggers, blockers, bombers and bashers.
    And has activated suicide mode.
  • @mrianleslie: Corbynites who talk about deselecting Labour MPs should think bigger: the people they really need to replace are the voters.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Shan't spoil the race, but will set about writing the post-race piece. Will do a season review later, probably.

Unlike Burnhamcooperballs, his crapness potential is yet to be measured.

Unlike Burnhamcooperballs, his crapness potential is yet to be measured.
    DJICIPM?
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Worrying news for David Cameron. There are growing calls for his best friend, Lord Feldman, to step down:

The pressure grew as this newspaper established that:

Feldman’s officials launched an inquiry to find out whether Baroness Pidding – who is accused of leaking to Clarke the names of his accusers – had an improper relationship with the shamed aide.

Feldman banned married Clarke and his mistress, Tory aide India Brummitt, from an Election night VIP bash because he was ‘horrified’ by their conduct – but weeks later still gave Clarke a new top Tory job.

Mr Johnson sobbed after being assaulted by Clarke in a pub, and blamed Feldman for failing to curb the activist.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337923/Tory-chairman-terrified-Mark-Clarke-scandal-force-follow-Grant-Shapps-quit-government.html
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Anyone who thinks that ousting Corbyn is the end of this matter may forget it. In many ways it could be the first shot in another conflict entirely.

Having said that, if you wish to execute, do it early.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

Yes, Andy draped in Union flag despite backing Yes last year

The two aren't necessarily contradictory (strange as it might sound given some of the more strident cybernats here). A lot of us have similar feelings.
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

It would be more accurate to say it is captured by cliques: left-wing pages by left-wingers, right-wing by right-wingers, and so on.
    Interesting. Not sure I believe it but willing to be persuaded. Got any links to contentious pages captured by righties?
    Curse you and your requirement for evidence-based argument. I'll have a look.
    edited November 2015
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    edited November 2015
    MP_SE said:
    They will need a lot more than one wagon for that den
    malcolmg said:

MP_SE said:
    Thye will need a lot more than one wagon for that den
    Budget cuts.. they'll have to make a few trips :D
  • MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    HYUFD said:

That's because I stopped listening to it. Every time I put the coverage on, we lost a point. So I switched to Radio 4, thus enabling a Great British victory.

Nothing to do with any Murrays....
  • Mr. Divvie, you mean... you don't think Andy Burnham will be Prime Minister one day?!

[One wishes to remind the site that the view of the Morris Dancer Party has been, since 2007, that Burnham was a lightweight. We are delighted that Burnham has confirmed this assessment at every opportunity].
This discussion has been closed.