Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB Oldham Prediction and this week’s local by-elections

Comments

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Postal turnout has been poor, too'

Only 20 votes per address instead of 50?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

@Sunil - Yes, see the Khan v Hitler video.

Either this weekend or next weekend, I'm doing a thread on David Hasselhoff

I believe he has dropped the Hassel by deed poll. He's now just the Hoff....
  • Options

Ian Warren

Prediction: Lab: 8,912 (41.9%) / UKIP 7,780 (36.6%) / Con 3,381 (15.9%) / LD 801 (3.8%) / Greens 373 (1.8%). Make that a 14.5% swing. 1/2

If that turns out to be near then its seriously a bad result for Labour.

By comparison some local election data for Oldham West – this is perhaps a more relevant comparison than the general election because of the low turnout:

2008 – when Conservatives led Labour 20% nationally:

Lab 11466 41%
    LD 8127 29%
    Con 6221 22%
    Oth 1995 7%

2012 – the seats which will be up for election next May:

Lab 16422 66%
    Con 3829 15%
    LD 3307 13%
    Oth 1431 6%
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ian Warren

Prediction: Lab: 8,912 (41.9%) / UKIP 7,780 (36.6%) / Con 3,381 (15.9%) / LD 801 (3.8%) / Greens 373 (1.8%). Make that a 14.5% swing. 1/2

I'll take that
    The Tories on 16% :wink:
    Vote Tory, get Corbyn? :lol:
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    viewcode said:

dr_spyn said:

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 56s56 seconds ago
    Betting markets seem convinced Labour has won #OldhamWest . Just taken a £1,000 bet at 1/12.

If the 2015 General Election taught us anything, it's that betting markets are not a good indicator of political results
    that's betting markets who'd been fed dreadfully inaccurate polls.

this time we have no polls so must be nailed on 100% accurate.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Daniel said:

Postal turnout has been poor, too. Things are very interesting now...

That's a a bit of an issue when several hundred are collected by a handful of individuals.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BBC Leaving the possibility of a UKIP win open, which is unusual for them. (BBC 10 oclock)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Labour confident that it has won in Oldham: but have had a wobble over low postal vote turnout, low turnout generally

That's the kind of comment that makes me want to cash out.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    MP_SE said:

As foretold

@DMcCaffreySKY: FROM OLDHAM: Senior UKIP sources tell me party had strong showing today, probably beating Labour but postal ballots may count against them.

"It was going to happen regardless" to quote an official at the Heywood and Middleton by-election.

The senior UKIP sources better be right otherwise they are not close to managing expectations properly.
    I don't think any prominent UKIP figure has predicted a gain here.
  • Options
    Should we expect the result before midnight?

As a Tory I've never wanted Labour to win an election more!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,892
    edited December 2015
    Sky poll

Do air strike against IS in Syria make you feel more safe, less safe, or no difference

Less 43
    More 20
    No Diff 38

54/46 Support them though
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jeremy Corbyn has made his MPs targets for home-grown jihadists in the wake of the vote to back Syrian air strikes, a shadow cabinet minister has warned.

The accusation that MPs are being left open to revenge attacks came as a backbencher made a formal complaint to Labour’s chief whip over Mr Corbyn’s “despicable and deliberate” threats over the Syria vote which he said will lead to “personal violence” against MPs.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12032154/jeremy-corbyn-syria-air-strikes-jihadist-warning.html
  • Options

I've been told to expect the result between 1.30am and 2am
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited December 2015
    Second story on BBC1 10pm News - all about intimidation of Labour MPs, Labour Party divided etc etc - unbelievably damaging stuff in electoral terms.

You literally could not script it to cause any more damage even if you tried.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

No, earliest would be about 1am if it's a clear victory with a low turnout.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    isam said:

Sky poll

Do air strike against IS in Syria make you feel more safe, less safe, or no difference

Less 43
    More 20
    No Diff 38

The war had a 17 point lead just a few days ago with yougov, opinions are changing quickly.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    notme said:

Daniel said:

Postal turnout has been poor, too. Things are very interesting now...

That's a a bit of an issue when several hundred are collected by a handful of individuals.
    Sounds like someone forgot to post their designated block of votes.
  • Options
    TedTed Posts: 8
    re Low Turnout. I could be wrong but wasn't Mr Corbyn's USP meant to be re-invigorating politics and bringing back to voting and to Labour all those who hadn't turned out?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Speedy said:

isam said:

Sky poll

Less 43
    More 20
    No Diff 38

The war had a 17 point lead just a few days ago with yougov, opinions are changing quickly.
    Obviously "no difference"
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

Jeremy Corbyn has made his MPs targets for home-grown jihadists in the wake of the vote to back Syrian air strikes, a shadow cabinet minister has warned.

The accusation that MPs are being left open to revenge attacks came as a backbencher made a formal complaint to Labour’s chief whip over Mr Corbyn’s “despicable and deliberate” threats over the Syria vote which he said will lead to “personal violence” against MPs.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12032154/jeremy-corbyn-syria-air-strikes-jihadist-warning.html

Targets for deselection yes, targets for jihadists not, because jihadists are after publicity, unknown Labour MP's are of little publicity value.

The shadow cabinet needs a reshuffle to get rid of those unnamed shadow cabinet ministers.
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    And, yet, we were told last week was "Labour's worst week"

it keeps getting worse and worse.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I always remember the Dunfermline by-election where everyone thought Labour was going to win, even as the candidates walked onto the stage for the result.

I won a packet on that. Too much speculation and assumption, based on little information. The odds for labour winning it looked like value, and bungee money on at about 11ish.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    Ted said:

re Low Turnout. I could be wrong but wasn't Mr Corbyn's USP meant to be re-invigorating politics and bringing back to voting and to Labour all those who hadn't turned out?

True enough. Though the result will probably be a comfortable labour hold (disappointing for Lab, but hardly calamitous), low turnout would refute that sort of claim at least partly.
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Labour confident that it has won in Oldham: but have had a wobble over low postal vote turnout, low turnout generally

Not really sure how the first assertion can be true if the second and third are...

Easy enough - the low postal vote and low turnout generally gives them cause for concern, but they started from such a strong position that their canvassing has them confident it will see them over the line.

I think I had Labour on 45%.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

45 minutes to save Oldham West!

45 minutes have been replaced by 70000 "soldiers" !
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    Alistair said:

viewcode said:

dr_spyn said:

Betting markets seem convinced Labour has won #OldhamWest . Just taken a £1,000 bet at 1/12.

If the 2015 General Election taught us anything, it's that betting markets are not a good indicator of political results

Last time we had inaccurate polls as input.
    This time we have no input at all...
    ...except for Corbyn's ginormous disapproval, it's pissing rain, Labour canvassers tweeted doorstep disapproval, the postal votes are too low, the turnout is too low...
    ...so other than goss, what actual data have we got to say that Labour are winning?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Thanks to Harry once more who is to local government elections what Wisden is to cricket.A couple of one-party states tonight,one Con and one Lab,where it would be interesting to see what an equivalent vote on an STV basis would bring as I'm sure the electorate is best served by competitive,multi-party politics.
  • Options
    For the record I did not predict a UKIP win tonight. I sait it would be Labour by tens or UKIP by hundreds. Good hedging, I thought. I'm hoping for a UKIP win, but I fear they won't do it. You never know, though.
  • Options
    So no exit polls then. :p
  • Options
    I'm looking at photos from the count, the Labour pile is about twice the UKIP pile so far:

Arif Ansari ‏@ArifBBC 6m6 minutes ago
    View from the balcony in Oldham as the by-election count gets underway. An update on @BBCNWT at 2230
  • Options
    @georgeeaton: Source at Oldham count says it's a comfortable win for Labour.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

I'm looking at photos from the count, the Labour pile is about twice the UKIP pile so far:

View from the balcony in Oldham as the by-election count gets underway. An update on @BBCNWT at 2230

Sounds representative. Not.

Most of the early votes to be counted will be (a) postal votes and (b) from the central part of Oldham, both of which will be much better than average for Labour.
  • Options
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

dr_spyn said:

...except for Corbyn's ginormous disapproval, it's pissing rain, Labour canvassers tweeted doorstep disapproval, the postal votes are too low, the turnout is too low...
    ...so other than goss, what actual data have we got to say that Labour are winning?
    Hardly any data one way or another (someone tweets about disapproval, someone else tweets they think they will still win). So it is all on gut instinct, notoriously wrong though it can be. But Lab losing requires a lot of factors coming together for an enormous change. Not impossible, granted, but in the absence of much evidence at all (barring the turnout I suppose, but people have been arguing how significant that will be) 'incumbent opposition party wins' is the safe option.
  • Options
    Thing looking up for UKIP?

22.28: My Oldham moles were all a bit edgier today than they were earlier in the week. How much of that is polling day nerves remains to be seen.

It seems turnout is a little higher than expected. On Tuesday, I was told we were looking at under 30% – now it seems 35% is likelier.

Unfortunately, that seems to be down to a big turnout of the UKIP vote on the day. There are even whispers that more ‘Kippers turned out to the polling stations than Labour today. However, Labour’s strong postal ballot game should see us through. (labourlist)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    BBC reported 5 Labour MPs were unable to attend last night's vote.

Nobody from any other party was reported to be unable to attend.

Seems strange - hope nobody is seriously unwell.

See link (at bottom of page):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34987921
  • Options
    Speedy said:

They'll still be at verification stage! This isn't Sunderland Central!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

Pretty soon to call it, even if early piles are obvious. Unless it's realllly comfortable for Labour.

Please, Labour party, mix up the boilerplate victory announcement, I implore you.

Otherwise, good luck UKIP - let's hope you run them close at least, keep this interesting.

Good night.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

My Lab MP said last week that his feeling was actually that the Labour vote was holding up reasonably well, but that the reasons for thinking it might be close were (a) Tory voters tactically going UKIP, and (b) the possibility of a low turnout meaning even those people who were saying on the doorstep that they were satisfied enough with Labour not showing on the day.

Time will tell if it was optimistic spin.

That's pretty similar to what Nick Plamer was saying just before GE2015.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BBC reported 5 Labour MPs were unable to attend last night's vote.

Nobody from any other party was reported to be unable to attend.

Seems strange - hope nobody is seriously unwell.

See link (at bottom of page):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34987921

Mike Gapes (Ilford South) is recovering from chest pains and Thangam Debbonaire (Bristol West) is dealing with cancer
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    MikeK said:

now it seems 35% is likelier

Don't like the sound of that

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Hmm

Ian Warrens prediction seems strangely reminiscent of something. Any one know if there has been a survey of interested political punters?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Ann Clwyd (Cynon Valley) - Unable to attend
    Helen Goodman (Bishop Auckland) - Unable to attend
    Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley) - Deputy Speaker
    Mike Gapes (Ilford South) - Unable to attend - was in hospital at weekend
    Natascha Engel (North East Derbyshire) - Deputy Speaker
    Rosie Cooper (West Lancashire) - Unable to attend
    Thangam Debbonaire (Bristol West) - Unable to attend - ongoing breast cancer treatment.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Oh the inhumanity...

"A UKIP van blasting out ‘I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas’ was spotted in Royton.

The Bing Crosby classic was heard blaring from speakers on a van with a poster of UKIP candidate John Bickley on the side.

The song choice has caused outrage among Labour supporters after it was shared on Twitter by Audenshaw councillor Oliver Ryan.

“It’s a really cynical move. They’ll say there’s nothing wrong with playing Christmas songs, but doing something like that is playing with fire.”

He added: “White Christmas has other connotations. It’s not helpful but it’s what we have come to expect from UKIP in the last three weeks.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ukip-van-playing-bing-crosbys-10546137
  • Options
    Well as the count progresses, a little bit of history, the first TV appearance of a Desktop Computer to count votes on US Election Night 1968 with added amusement from the journalists ( from minute 13 onwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP8XUqe6AJ0
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Newsnight:- John McCain wonderfully dismissive of the point of British airstrikes. "I'm not saying they'll achieve nothing - I'm sure they'll achieve a little something"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

dr_spyn said:

Hardly any data one way or another (someone tweets about disapproval, someone else tweets they think they will still win). So it is all on gut instinct, notoriously wrong though it can be. But Lab losing requires a lot of factors coming together for an enormous change. Not impossible, granted, but in the absence of much evidence at all (barring the turnout I suppose, but people have been arguing how significant that will be) 'incumbent opposition party wins' is the safe option.
    Fair enough. I will continue with my belief that UKIP will win and tomorrow I will look either prescient or foolish...:-)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    From LabourList:

"My Oldham moles were all a bit edgier today than they were earlier in the week. How much of that is polling day nerves remains to be seen. It seems turnout is a little higher than expected. On Tuesday, I was told we were looking at under 30% – now it seems 35% is likelier.

Unfortunately, that seems to be down to a big turnout of the UKIP vote on the day. There are even whispers that more ‘Kippers turned out to the polling stations than Labour today. However, Labour’s strong postal ballot game should see us through."

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/oldham-west-by-election-liveblog/
  • Options

Ian Warren

A win is a win even if it's a short-head.V.good from a pecuniary perspective as points to the Lost Deposits losing their deposit.
  • Options
    I'm often second guessing connotations and implications of things in terms of race and offensiveness, but that's an odd one. Maybe it's the phrasing - if he'd claimed the song 'could' have other connotations, I wouldn't be confused, whether he was right or wrong about the intent, but the blanket statement that it just 'has' other connotations was not something I was aware of.
    JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

"A UKIP van blasting out ‘I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas’ was spotted in Royton.

The Bing Crosby classic was heard blaring from speakers on a van with a poster of UKIP candidate John Bickley on the side.

The song choice has caused outrage among Labour supporters after it was shared on Twitter by Audenshaw councillor Oliver Ryan.

“It’s a really cynical move. They’ll say there’s nothing wrong with playing Christmas songs, but doing something like that is playing with fire.”

He added: “White Christmas has other connotations. It’s not helpful but it’s what we have come to expect from UKIP in the last three weeks.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ukip-van-playing-bing-crosbys-10546137

• Options
    AndyJS said:

From LabourList:

"My Oldham moles were all a bit edgier today than they were earlier in the week. How much of that is polling day nerves remains to be seen.

It seems turnout is a little higher than expected. On Tuesday, I was told we were looking at under 30% – now it seems 35% is likelier.

Unfortunately, that seems to be down to a big turnout of the UKIP vote on the day. There are even whispers that more ‘Kippers turned out to the polling stations than Labour today. However, Labour’s strong postal ballot game should see us through."

Copycat!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

What the hell. Playing Christmas songs is playing with fire.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ann Clwyd (Cynon Valley) - Unable to attend
    Helen Goodman (Bishop Auckland) - Unable to attend
    Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley) - Deputy Speaker
    Mike Gapes (Ilford South) - Unable to attend - was in hospital at weekend
    Natascha Engel (North East Derbyshire) - Deputy Speaker
    Rosie Cooper (West Lancashire) - Unable to attend
    Thangam Debbonaire (Bristol West) - Unable to attend - ongoing breast cancer treatment.

Wes in Ilford North voted against
  • Options
    War has broken out at the top of Ukip after MP Douglas Carswell voted to bomb Syria – despite the anti-intervention stance of party boss Nigel Farage.

The Ukip leader said he “disagreed” with his party’s only MP, but was “not disappointed” as Mr Carswell had notified him at the weekend that he intended to vote to expand British airstrikes against ISIS.....

....Yet a senior party source was far more scathing, telling SunNation: “Douglas has lots of principles.

“And if you don’t like these ones, he’s got plenty more…”

http://bit.ly/1lcPqoG
  • Options
    What the hell's wrong with playing the tune "White Christmas?" I bet there aren't any Asians in Oldham who have a problem with it, just trendy leftists in London.
    JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

• Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Targets for deselection yes, targets for jihadists not, because jihadists are after publicity, unknown Labour MP's are of little publicity value.

The shadow cabinet needs a reshuffle to get rid of those unnamed shadow cabinet ministers.

Yes of course you are right, because no Labour MP has ever been stabbed in their own office for having voted for military action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11682732
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    "Representatives need to reflect people in local Labour party" said @johnmcdonnellMP at #Lambeth @PeoplesMomentum launch.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

"Isn't BLACK Friday "racist"?"
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

From LabourList:

"My Oldham moles were all a bit edgier today than they were earlier in the week. How much of that is polling day nerves remains to be seen. It seems turnout is a little higher than expected. On Tuesday, I was told we were looking at under 30% – now it seems 35% is likelier.

I'm having difficulty distinguishing between and "Labour’s strong postal ballot game should see us through..." and "Steiner's assault will bring it under control..."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Manchester Evening News reporting whispers of turnout well bellow 20%:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-oldham-west-royton-election-10546128?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kle4 said:

I'm often second guessing connotations and implications of things in terms of race and offensiveness, but that's an odd one. Maybe it's the phrasing - if he'd claimed the song 'could' have other connotations, I wouldn't be confused, whether he was right or wrong about the intent, but the blanket statement that it just 'has' other connotations was not something I was aware of.

JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

Snow at Christmas is celebrated by climate deniers?
  • Options
    Final note, I'm disappointed in the locals - not a funny Ward name in the bunch.
  • Options
    I despair! How many people have actually been to a count? Polling stops at 10. Then the boxes get collected and brought to the counters. This process alone can take 45 minutes or more. As boxes come in the counters will start the verification process. It is possible to try and pick up sample tallies at this stage, but you have to combine that knowledge with what you know about that particular polling district.
    Only once both postal votes and votes cast have been counted, and there isn't a discrepancy, if there is one, they count again, only then will they be separated into ballots by candidate.

A knowledgable activist with good local nouse can pick up how things are going between 11 and 11:30. But if it is close, you are looking until 1am or longer for a definitive result.
  • Options
    Speedy said:
    Remind me again: who usually benefits from very low turnouts?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Though it seems to have been written out of history, Glorious Leader David Cameron almost lost his first by-election in a Tory-held seat -- he suffered a 14% swing away from him to the Lib Dems in Bromley and Chislehurst in June 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley_and_Chislehurst_by-election,_2006

#justsaying
  • Options
    We're looking; where are the ballots?
    https://twitter.com/ArifBBC/status/672541982229663744
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Final note, I'm disappointed in the locals - not a funny Ward name in the bunch.

Belvoir on South Kesteven.

Belvoir is pronounced "Beaver"

Beaver, fnarr fnarr
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,892
    kle4 said:

JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

Please don't let it be the Jim Davidson version....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Though it seems to have been written out of history, Glorious Leader David Cameron almost lost his first by-election in a Tory-held seat -- he suffered a 14% swing away from him to the Lib Dems in Bromley and Chislehurst in June 2006.

#justsaying

A PBer stood in that by election
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Speedy said:
    Traditionally low turnout is thought of as being bad for Labour, although some people seem to be arguing the opposite as far as this BE is concerned.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

From LabourList:

I'm having difficulty distinguishing between and "Labour’s strong postal ballot game should see us through..." and "Steiner's assault will bring it under control..."
    "All those who predicted a UKIP victory please leave the room..."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MikeK said:

We're looking; where are the ballots?
    https://twitter.com/ArifBBC/status/672541982229663744

On the trays on the low right.
    Don't forget to open the picture rather that just the tweet to get a better look.
    Only those for Table 16 are clearly visible.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

#justsaying

Nigel Farage?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    MikeK said:

BBC Leaving the possibility of a UKIP win open, which is unusual for them. (BBC 10 oclock)

Mike have you left your tinfoil hat in the car?

Surely this is proof that the lefties at the Beeb are setting UKIP up just to be able to slam them when they don't win.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    MP_SE said:

As foretold

@DMcCaffreySKY: FROM OLDHAM: Senior UKIP sources tell me party had strong showing today, probably beating Labour but postal ballots may count against them.

"It was going to happen regardless" to quote an official at the Heywood and Middleton by-election.

The senior UKIP sources better be right otherwise they are not close to managing expectations properly.
    Quite agree. If UKIP do win this then is will be against all their own returns and other parties returns too. Still, nowt so queer as folk!
  • Options
    @tamcohen: Lib Dems are briefing that Labour has 'smashed it' in #OldhamWest
  • Options
    "The Daily Mirror is reporting that Labour’s majority could be reduced to under 1,000. A party figure I spoke to earlier seemed rather more confident than you would expect if that forecast were accurate, but the Mirror figures are broadly in line with this prediction from the elections expert Ian Warren."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/dec/03/oldham-byelection-labour-corbyn-ukip-challenge-in-first-test-of-corbyns-popularity-live
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

#justsaying

Nigel Farage?
    No, another loony.

John Loony
  • Options

Danny565 said:

#justsaying

And he also stood in Croydon North in 2012
  • Options
    I love it: first we hear Labour are confident they've won, then a few minutes later we hear they believe they may have lost the vote on the day itself excluding postal votes.
  • Options
    Interesting consecutive posts from Scott_P and AndyJS.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Labour is now 16/1 on with Ladbrokes.

1/16 you mean?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

justin124 said:

Labour is now 16/1 on with Ladbrokes.

1/16 you mean?
    sorry I thoguht you meant 'on' ladbrokes. Not 16/1 on
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Blimey, the Beeb (Radio 4) just ran a piece on the World Tonight insinuating that Hilary Benn's speech yesterday was 'dangerous rhetoric', comparable to Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech (playing the passage where he said "in 15 or 20 years' time the black man will have the whip hand over the white man"), one of Tony Blair's Iraq speeches, and a particularly partisan Thatcher speech. Even by Beeb standards that's going it a bit.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015
    viewcode said:

Speedy said:
    I'd be gobsmacked if turnout was below 20%.

It'll be low, but not that low.
  • Options
    @faisalislam · 7 mins7 minutes ago
    A source close to one of the campaigns told me that postal vote turnout was just over half, ordinarily 70-80% #OldhamWest
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2015
    QT: FFS Diane Abbott is a populist moron
  • Options
    Anorak said:

news?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

isam said:

Sky poll

Less 43
    More 20
    No Diff 38

Perfectly understandable IMO.

Before airstrikes = lower threat* therefore more gung-ho in support
    After airstrikes = threat higher, it's actually happening, therefore more cautious.

*I don't personally think airstrikes makes us any less safe. It's a matter of degree. If now 101 people want us destroyed vs 100 previously, the concept of "less safe" becomes moot.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

You're new to politics aren't you?
  • Options

@faisalislam · 7 mins7 minutes ago
    A source close to one of the campaigns told me that postal vote turnout was just over half, ordinarily 70-80% #OldhamWest

Probably also a few early senders who wanted to down and reclaim their already submitted postal votes...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    JonathanD said:

Oh the inhumanity...

It's like playing the Horst Wessel Song.
  • Options
    How many postal votes were issued?
  • Options

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

From LabourList:

"All those who predicted a UKIP victory please leave the room..."
    Lol!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

QT: FFS Diane Abbott is an unpopular moron

• Options
    Although Maajid Nawaz speaks a lot of sense, he has something of a (LibDem-esque?) air of sanctimony which puts me off him.
  • Options
    There's been a small but noticeable shift to UKIP with Betfair:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.121439788
  • Options

Danny565 said:

#justsaying

Two PBers, if you count John Loony as well as David Cameron.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    AndyJS said:

There's been a small but noticeable shift to UKIP with Betfair:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.121439788

Trouble at t'mill.
This discussion has been closed.