Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An authoritarian Tory government will undo Cameron’s early

Comments

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

Hilary Benn pointedly failing to support appointment of MCDonell

Elements of distress in his voice. He evidently realises and for some reason is shocked that his party has descended into Uni bar politics.

I can hear the nausea in his voice. He must also be aware that every word he utters helps to destroy his credibility and political career.
    Hilary Benn had seemed to be a basically decent man, I'm surprised he's having anything to do with this farce.
    So am I. Am also surprised by Falconer. He has a very well paid job at a US law firm. Why would he need the grief?

It's that party loyalty, and the belief that they/he can ensure any problems are managable or resolved. They might be wrong, there might not be problems (seems unlikely, though possible), or they cannot fix them, but I guess they feel it's worth a shot.
    Or he's getting ready to be kingmaker again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    edited September 2015

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , game over when you are using the Mail as your evidence. Poor billionaire gets upset that a few people have placards outside his house , but JJ happy that he can sack hundreds without giving a hoot and wants to restrict the workers from having any say whatsoever.

Thugs are thugs. Even if they are union thugs or Scottish thugs.
    You last bit is very telling, sore loser you resort to your bigotry. I presume you had their nationality checked out.
    So you're denying that 'Scottish thugs' are not thugs? Are Scottish thugs some form of enlightened higher life form in your mind?

Or are they just lowlife scum, just like English or Welsh thugs?
    I just wondered why you highlighted "Scottish Thugs" all of a sudden when it was never in the discussion. We were talking about people with placards and had never mentioned nationality. From what I saw of the "incident " a few people with placards were on the pavement and did very little so not sure that makes them "THUGS" but even so to get that to "Scottish THUGS " takes some doing even for you.
    Malc, you've obviously missed the many times on here that I've mentioned my love for Scotland and the Scottish people. Something that I doubt you've said about England, the English or particularly London.

And are you saying there are no such things as 'Scottish thugs' ?
    JJ, I have not missed it and of course a Scottish thug is no better than any other nationality of thug. I just wonder how you got from pickets as thugs to them being Scottish thugs. Why did you bring up "Scottish", you never mentioned that in your replies to others.

You really are trying very hard to be aggrieved here. It's quite entertaining.
    If the Nats could bottle (and sell) 'Taking Offence' they'd make a fortune......

Meanwhile James, late of this Parish, ponders on the Corgasm on the SNP's chances:

http://www.thenational.scot/comment/james-kelly-corbyn-will-inject-a-dose-of-unpredictability-into-the-holyrood-race.7550

While David Torrance reviews the death of the SNP's 'Red Tories' meme:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nicola-sturgeon-no-longer-has-a-monopoly-on-authenticity-10499157.html
    Has there ever been a more ill informed comment than the first under James' article??!

(don't say "I could think of almost 16 thousand!")
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

BBC balance Dan Hodges and Lab list both calling Corbyn a crazy. No attempt at political balance.

But its true
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Justine Greening for next Prime Minister, she's got my vote.

How many women will be Tory PMs before Labour get around to it?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    My first post for a few months.

Jeremy Corbyn's appointment as leader of the Labour Party is the most bizzare appointment by a political party in the past century. He will be a unmitigated disaster as leader. And as for the shadow chancellor! A political party with a very left wing agenda cannot win an election in the UK. The lunatics have really taken over the asylum. The tories and lib dems must be like Cheshire Cats today.

I will be amazed of Labour put up with him for more than a year. If he is leader at the next election, Labour could be down to less than 150 seats.
  • Options
    Mr. Ghedebrav, Hunt would be an improvement in the incumbent.

Mr. Eagles, some of us have been saying that for years.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, might it be easier to list MPs who haven't resigned their shadow posts?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Good to see you back, hope business is still on the up.
    currystar said:

Jeremy Corbyn's appointment as leader of the Labour Party is the most bizzare appointment by a political party in the past century. He will be a unmitigated disaster as leader. And as for the shadow chancellor! A political party with a very left wing agenda cannot win an election in the UK. The lunatics have really taken over the asylum. The tories and lib dems must be like Cheshire Cats today.

I will be amazed of Labour put up with him for more than a year. If he is leader at the next election, Labour could be down to less than 150 seats.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , game over when you are using the Mail as your evidence. Poor billionaire gets upset that a few people have placards outside his house , but JJ happy that he can sack hundreds without giving a hoot and wants to restrict the workers from having any say whatsoever.

Thugs are thugs. Even if they are union thugs or Scottish thugs.
    You last bit is very telling, sore loser you resort to your bigotry. I presume you had their nationality checked out.
    So you're denying that 'Scottish thugs' are not thugs? Are Scottish thugs some form of enlightened higher life form in your mind?

Or are they just lowlife scum, just like English or Welsh thugs?
    I just wondered why you highlighted "Scottish Thugs" all of a sudden when it was never in the discussion. We were talking about people with placards and had never mentioned nationality. From what I saw of the "incident " a few people with placards were on the pavement and did very little so not sure that makes them "THUGS" but even so to get that to "Scottish THUGS " takes some doing even for you.
    Malc, you've obviously missed the many times on here that I've mentioned my love for Scotland and the Scottish people. Something that I doubt you've said about England, the English or particularly London.

And are you saying there are no such things as 'Scottish thugs' ?
    JJ, I have not missed it and of course a Scottish thug is no better than any other nationality of thug. I just wonder how you got from pickets as thugs to them being Scottish thugs. Why did you bring up "Scottish", you never mentioned that in your replies to others.
    Why should I mention it to others?

You really are trying very hard to be aggrieved here. It's quite entertaining.
    Not half as hard as you are at being a plonker. I shall discourse sensibly on serious topics with others rather than entertain you further, I had no idea we were having a jest.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Hilary Benn had seemed to be a basically decent man, I'm surprised he's having anything to do with this farce.

So am I. Am also surprised by Falconer. He has a very well paid job at a US law firm. Why would he need the grief?

There's quite a big difference between temperamental moderates who know Corbyn personally and moderates who don't. A lot of the former, like me, trust him to be reasonable even where they don't agree on something.

Not sending out a good wishes message on Jewish NY is just one example. I am giving the benefit of the doubt to cock-up rather than intent here.

You must have missed it, but Corbyn did send a good wishes message on Jewish NY.

Or has even had Media training?

Perhaps NPexMP can clarify whether that's something back benchers get.....?

No, backbenchers (and for all I know front-benchers) don't get training in ANYTHING. Not even in quite basic things like where the loos are or how to attract the Speaker's eye. You work it out as you go along. Or not.

I had media training when I worked in industry - the first time I saw myself interviewed in a training session it was devastating (and that's what a lot of people say about their training). I never got brilliant at it, but it certainly helped.

• Options

Flint resigns

Not good for Corbyn.

Another no user leaves in a flounce. Invisible and will not be missed.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited September 2015
    I read Gloria de Piero was offered shadow defence.

Four years selling pacifism with 20,000 tory and UKIP voters in your constituency?

Hmmn....

This is just too much fun.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

I can't fathom that at all - he was BFF with Tony. And didn't he *sanction* the Iraq War decision?

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

Hilary Benn pointedly failing to support appointment of McDonell

Elements of distress in his voice. He evidently realises and for some reason is shocked that his party has descended into Uni bar politics.

I can hear the nausea in his voice. He must also be aware that every word he utters helps to destroy his credibility and political career.

It's about not abandoning the Party to the hard left loons.
    He is in danger (as are all Labour moderates) of becoming a useful idiot on behalf of the far left. It is one thing to not abandon the party; it is another to provide them with cover.
  • Options
    Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 3 mins3 minutes ago

Hearing that Luciana Berger will have a job attending shadow cabinet.
    Michael Dugher getting culture.
    Gloria de Piero was offered defence.

Gloria de Piero- Defence?!?!?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

There's quite a big difference between temperamental moderates who know Corbyn personally and moderates who don't. A lot of the former, like me, trust him to be reasonable even where they don't agree on something.

Not sending out a good wishes message on Jewish NY is just one example. I am giving the benefit of the doubt to cock-up rather than intent here.

You must have missed it, but Corbyn did send a good wishes message on Jewish NY.

No, backbenchers (and for all I know front-benchers) don't get training in ANYTHING. Not even in quite basic things like where the loos are or how to attract the Speaker's eye. You work it out as you go along. Or not.

I had media training when I worked in industry - the first time I saw myself interviewed in a training session it was devastating (and that's what a lot of people say about their training). I never got brilliant at it, but it certainly helped.

OT. When we had our presentation training, they videoed you, then played it back at 10x speed. Mortifying - it highlighted every tic, wobble, postural mistake and body language fail. It haunts me to this day :).
  • Options
    I'll bet there isn't a shadow minister for Syrian refugees yet. Cameron's always one step head...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

wow Suddenly NNXMPX2 has woken up now he doesn't care for the system that worked so well for his buddies Tone and Gordy ... who,d a thunk it

I've always supported PR, since I think that FPTP delivering governments on 35-40% of the vote is a recipe for permanent trouble. But my point was that it's hypocritical for a government elected on less than 40% of the vote, allowing them to send us to war or do pretty much anything else it likes, to play the "unrepresentative" card against people who want to take industrial action for a couple of days on the same basis.

The point you are missing is that you are not comparing different types of representation. Someone who strikes is breaching their contract. Anyone who breaches a contract is normally liable for damages. That is the law which applies to all. We accept that people should have a right to strike but it is important to have clear rules which ensure that this right to strike - to break one's contract, one's legally binding promise - should be entered into after a fair ballot of the majority because harm is being caused to the employer and others and they are not able to recover damages, unlike other parties to a contract where the other party breaches it.

I am affected when the tube workers go on on strike. I don't get a vote. I don't get compensation for the time and money spent. I don't get back the time I was not able to have with my family.

Unions forget that others are affected and that those others are often much worse off than the strikers or less able to mitigate the damage suffered.

Unions are not on a par with national government though some of the union leaders seem to think they should be.
  • Options

I'm surprised - I'd have thought it was a basic skill the parties would organise. I too had media training in industry - its a LOT harder than it looks! So many pitfalls! I had one colleague whose throwaway remark to the reporter as he was seeing him out the door turn into a front page splash 'I thought the interview was over.....'

• Options
    Flint out
  • Options

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 3 mins3 minutes ago

Hearing that Luciana Berger will have a job attending shadow cabinet.
    Michael Dugher getting culture.
    Gloria de Piero was offered defence.

Gloria de Piero- Defence?!?!?

She'd get the forces vote plus she's a good media performer.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/14/article-2580587-04F5285B0000044D-683_306x423.jpg
  • Options

Good to see you back, hope business is still on the up.

currystar said:

Its been an extraordinairy 2015 business wise!
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    malcolmg said:

Flint resigns

Not good for Corbyn.

Someone ought to publish the collected works of Malcolm McCorbyn.
  • Options
    The Labour Party is seeing more go out than a humiliating cricket collapse.
  • Options
    ''She'd get the forces vote plus she's a good media performer.''

Selling pacifism and ceding the Falklands...???

A turd is a turd, doesn;t matter who polishes it.
  • Options

60 all out bad?
  • Options
    That's very Sir Humphrey!

I'm surprised - I'd have thought it was a basic skill the parties would organise. I too had media training in industry - its a LOT harder than it looks! So many pitfalls! I had one colleague whose throwaway remark to the reporter as he was seeing him out the door turn into a front page splash 'I thought the interview was over.....'

• Options
    Mr. Currystar, huzzah!
  • Options
    taffys said:

You think a leader promising not to get involved with wars will go down badly with the British Armed forces after the last 15 years or so?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Iain Martin @iainmartin1
    Any women allowed to speak? twitter.com/Labourpaul/sta…

Paul Richards @Labourpaul
    Massive Corbyn event tonight at Kentish Town Forum: Arthur Smith, Mark Steel, Jeremy Hardy, Brian Eno, Michael Rosen.

Aren't most of them SWP/Greenies?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Meanwhile, Cameron is Hugging a Refugee, Aw!
  • Options

60 all out bad?
    The Oz PM could be all out soon... They seem to have more party leadership elections than we do.
  • Options
    Another big hitter joins Labour. So that's girlfriend beaters and IRA apologists. Big tent you're building Mr Corbyn

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO24QrSWUAE1iWX.jpg
  • Options
    You think a leader promising not to get involved with wars will go down badly with the British Armed forces after the last 15 years or so?

Absolutely.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

Am just watching the Corbyn long walk to silence video.

Blimey.

Eventually, Mr Corbyn said to a staffer: "There are people bothering me."

It's very North Korean.

?
    http://news.sky.com/story/1552000/labour-leader-corbyns-long-walk-of-silence
    Cue the Last of the Summer Wine theme tune...
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Blimey, HenryG is in a bad way, which is understandable I guess. This article, in all its wrong-headedness, is actually a very good indicator of what a complete mess Labour are it - a mess of which Corbyn is a symptom, not a primary cause.

Still, the article was a good laugh. I particularly enjoyed the attack on Cameron for calling Corbyn 'a threat to national security'. Err, Henry, has it not occurred to you that the reason we don't expect a Prime Minister to use language like that about the Leader of the Opposition is that this is the first Leader of the Opposition in living memory about whom it's an entirely reasonable thing to say?

I do agree. HG's tribal piece is a demonstration of the extent of Labour denial which still exists amongst what would have been thought of as sensible lefties and seems to be extending if JC's "election" is anything to go by. Policies formulated within a void ignoring history and practicalities produces unworkable policies, like virtually all those extolled by JC.
  • Options
    Joanna Partridge @JoannaPartridge
    Most unexpected freebie seen so far at #TUC in Brighton, @RMTunion condoms. Branded with "Be safe. Be in a union." pic.twitter.com/n8FSp8UeDG
  • Options
    I think it is worth repeating once again what a terrible thing for British politics and for democracy the Corbyn election really is. Whilst we many of us like to joke about him and laugh at the Labour party going down the drain, the fact is that under the current system, Parliamentary democracy needs an effective and electable Opposition party to hold the Government to account. For all the desperate pleas of the Labour faithful, Corbyn and his shadow cabinet cannot provide that. Not now, not ever. Britain - or at least England and Wales, and I believe on balance Scotland as well - is not a radical left wing country and will not vote for a radical left wing Government.

Effectively the Tories have been given carte blanche to pursue their agenda with no fear of effective party based opposition. The only real opposition I can see coming is from individual MPs - both Tory and Labour - who hold service to the country to be more important than service to the party. I fear this will make for not only bad opposition but, as a result, potentially bad government as well.

• Options
    Rees-Mogg
    @JakeReesMogg
    Combined age 235 years. Combined Cabinet experience 9 years.

Very brave.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: I thought long and hard before accepting post as Shadow Health Sec but its important the party comes together - Heidi Alexander
  • Options
    Och Eye In a Syrian refugee camp..where he is planning on bringing 20,000 of them safely back to the UK. Aw Aw..
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, I agree. Labour have buggered themselves, but they've also harmed the body politic in general. We need an opposition that isn't crackers.
  • Options
    WTF
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/applause-speaker-john-bercow-praises-6438978
    "Commons Speaker John Bercow has praised the work of unions hours before he was due to hear MPs debate controversial anti-strike laws later today."
  • Options

TOPPING said:

@TheScreamingEagles

If Dave engages in so much as a smidge of bonhomie or smiles at all at any time unless it is laughing at, not with Jezza on Wednesday at midday I might resign from the Conservative Party.

No Dave has to play it nice with Corbyn on Wednesday. Has to welcome to his role.
    I'm not sure he has to play it nice, though he does have to play it straight and civil. It would be a mistake to go for the man when it's so easily (and proper) to play the ball.
    I suggest he'll leave everything he can and be canny with anything he can't. JC is a change bowler who presents little threat by himself so would be extremely embarrassing to get out to.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

I think it is worth repeating once again what a terrible thing for British politics and for democracy the Corbyn election really is. Whilst we many of us like to joke about him and laugh at the Labour party going down the drain, the fact is that under the current system, Parliamentary democracy needs an effective and electable Opposition party to hold the Government to account. For all the desperate pleas of the Labour faithful, Corbyn and his shadow cabinet cannot provide that. Not now, not ever. Britain - or at least England and Wales, and I believe on balance Scotland as well - is not a radical left wing country and will not vote for a radical left wing Government.

Effectively the Tories have been given carte blanche to pursue their agenda with no fear of effective party based opposition. The only real opposition I can see coming is from individual MPs - both Tory and Labour - who hold service to the country to be more important than service to the party. I fear this will make for not only bad opposition but, as a result, potentially bad government as well.

I think that's absolutely right. And it's terribly sad.
  • Options

I think we'll end up with two oppositions - an ideological opposition (Corbyn) and a practical opposition (MPs scrutinising legislation against local/specialist concerns). Given the constant complaints of 'there's no difference between Labour and Tory' I don't think that's a bad thing. We can have a genuine debate about philosophy and proper scrutiny of policy.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

taffys said:

I can only suppose you don't know many forces people.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Some vox pops from my feedback to give the flavour. Summary - lots of churn. The largest feedback I've had since the election - scores of replies, of which these are a representative sample.

Local doctor who voted LibDem in 2010 and Green in 2015:
    "His acceptance speech was brilliant. It was the first time for 20 years+ that I had heard a speech made by a labour leader which was aimed at the Labour party and addressed issues rather than being bland so as not to alienate the Daily Mail. Recognising that he will never appeal to the Mail but could rejuvenate both the Labour Party and get young people involved with politics is inspiring. Interestingly my three 24-29 yo children who are interested but switched off by the lack of choice, were really inspired by him."

Tory who considered voting for me as he did in 2005, but didn't in 2010 or 2015:
    "For all of your rhetoric you are so wrong and confirms my decision for not voting for you in the last election."

David Miliband supporter, voted Lab reluctantly in 2015:
    "I fear that the election of a leader who had the support of only a handful of MPs and under whom several current shadow ministers will refuse to serve, will be a disaster for the party. I know that a week is a long time in politics but with the (almost) demise of the Lib Dems we could be in for a very long period of Tory government before the centre left sorts itself out."

Apolitical local Civic Society member who sometimes doesn't vote:
    "Some sanity needs to come back into politics and he seems a real bloke, not like the majority of who we have now. It will be interesting to see what happens. If nothing else it will show certain factions that the voting public think they all need a big shake up and they need to live in the real world, not the rarefied atmosphere they live in. I think the fools who have stood down and the others that will not back him have shown they have no idea how the public feels about politics and that they can carry on regardless."

• Options
    taffys said:

I wonder if that supposedly shrewd, savvy political operator Tom Watson agreed with the appointment of McDonnell as shadow chancellor.

Stroke of genius

To what extent will TW be playing for himself rather than the team?
  • Options
    John_M said:

taffys said:

I can only suppose you don't know many forces people.
    You would be wrong.
  • Options
    Heidi Alexander on Sky is way out of her depth, poor lady has only been an MP for 5yrs and never held any post - she's all umm err umm err.
  • Options

Spot on. All the things Henry complains about. No-one now cares what Labour has to say about them. A party with no hope of forming an alternative government is irrelevant. The Tory leadership will have to work hard to keep its political radar intact.

As things stand, in 2020 we may be heading to the lowest general election turnout ever.

That said, JC is likely to be long gone by then.

• Options
    In the spirit of balance perhaps the tories might elect Philip Hollobone as leader with Peter Bone as Chancellor
  • Options
    I'm expecting a shadow Shadow Cabinet to operate from the back benches
    TudorRose said:

I think we'll end up with two oppositions - an ideological opposition (Corbyn) and a practical opposition (MPs scrutinising legislation against local/specialist concerns). Given the constant complaints of 'there's no difference between Labour and Tory' I don't think that's a bad thing. We can have a genuine debate about philosophy and proper scrutiny of policy.
  • Options

As far as the latter is concerned I thought you wanted greater MP independence of thought and less of a whipped vote. The Labour Party by electing a 500x rebel is going down the road of doing exactly that.
  • Options
    currystar said:

In the spirit of balance perhaps the tories might elect Philip Hollobone as leader with Peter Bone as Chancellor

Mrs Bone can be the token woman in the cabinet.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: I thought long and hard before accepting post as Shadow Health Sec but its important the party comes together - Heidi Alexander

'Backbench MP with zero experience thinks for about 5 milliseconds before taking chance she'll never get again.'
  • Options

Trouble is, its difficult for good labour MPs to scrutinise the government when they can be discredited with a simple

'and would you agree with your own leader Jeremy Corbyn that...''
  • Options

Yes - though Osborne did set out on a reasonably sensible course in the budget - and if he is in the ascendency may keep the headbangers in check......
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

You seem to be forgetting the Lords, Mr. Tyndall. That will be the place that causes the government to think through hastily drafted and, sometimes, wrong-headed legislation. The elected government will be held to account by the unelected chamber and probably far more effectively than by even a functioning opposition party in the commons.

Had others been granted their wish and the Lords had been abolished then we really would be in an elected dictatorship. As it is we do have some checks and balances in the system.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015
    watford30 said:

Scott_P said:

'Backbench MP with zero experience thinks for about 5 milliseconds before taking chance she'll never get again.'
    Heidi has experience to be Shadow Health Sec by campaigning against one A&E closure. That is a lot of experience compared to the rest around the table.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Absolutely.

Quite, and to think otherwise is to totally misunderstand the people in our armed forces.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, a very sound point on the Lords.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Jim Waterson @jimwaterson
    Understand Tories spending £££ buying YouTube/Facebook ads for this Corbyn attack vid across UK & not just marginals

Clearly going in brutal is the name of the game.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

Flint resigns

Not good for Corbyn.

Someone ought to publish the collected works of Malcolm McCorbyn.
    Watford you are on form today
  • Options

As far as the latter is concerned I thought you wanted greater MP independence of thought and less of a whipped vote. The Labour Party by electing a 500x rebel is going down the road of doing exactly that.
    I did and I had that in mind as I wrote that comment. The problem is that greater independence of MPs requires a change in the system to limit the power of the whips applying to all sides of the House. Having one side implode whilst the other maintains its power within the rules as they currently stand does not achieve anything beyond giving far more effective power to the Government.
  • Options
    Driving to the launderette I hear simon Danczuk on R5...

Called McDonnell 'bonkers'

John mills the donor on next, said he is still going to back labour, but can't have corbyn or McDonnell
  • Options

to be fair that has to be true of anything over 10 but I would suggest that humiliation starts much lower than that, especially if top order is involved.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

I did and I had that in mind as I wrote that comment. The problem is that greater independence of MPs requires a change in the system to limit the power of the whips applying to all sides of the House. Having one side implode whilst the other maintains its power within the rules as they currently stand does not achieve anything beyond giving far more effective power to the Government.
    There was a suggestion in the Economist a few years ago that MPs votes should be secret for a period - say three years. This would mean that whips power would be severely constrained, while still allowing an MPs constituents to see how he/she voted (albeit not immediately).
  • Options
    The Corbyn meltdown is so just predictable ; he never intended to be leader and was never remotely qualified but he got caught up by the messianic gullibility of the Leftist voters ; now he must pay the price ...public humiliation and forced resignation ...Furthermore , I suspect it going to come much sooner than any of us ever imagined
  • Options

taffys said:

I wonder if that supposedly shrewd, savvy political operator Tom Watson agreed with the appointment of McDonnell as shadow chancellor.

Stroke of genius

To what extent will TW be playing for himself rather than the team?
    Watson always plays for himself.
  • Options
    Some MPs are appalled - one told the BBC "it is a disgrace - there's only one thing worse than being ignored in politics and that's being laughed at"
  • Options

taffys said:

Absolutely.

Quite, and to think otherwise is to totally misunderstand the people in our armed forces.
    Well someone has misunderstood...

There was me thinking people in the army were doing it to pay the bills
  • Options
    taffys said:

Trouble is, its difficult for good labour MPs to scrutinise the government when they can be discredited with a simple

Well Tom Watson on TV yesterday publicly disagreed with his leader on defence issues and nobody made a fuss. Possibly that was because too many people were too busy pissing themselves laughing to notice, but even so having a deputy leader say he thought the leader was wrong on a major issue ought to have created a little stir.
  • Options

You seem to be forgetting the Lords, Mr. Tyndall. That will be the place that causes the government to think through hastily drafted and, sometimes, wrong-headed legislation. The elected government will be held to account by the unelected chamber and probably far more effectively than by even a functioning opposition party in the commons.

Had others been granted their wish and the Lords had been abolished then we really would be in an elected dictatorship. As it is we do have some checks and balances in the system.
    I am not really forgetting the Lords Mr Llama. The Lords is supposed to be a scrutinising and amending chamber to make for better, more coherent, law, not an opposing chamber to set out the alternative arguments from a political perspective. The Lords and the Opposition serve very different functions.
  • Options
    Steve Richards waffling on and on and on, on DP BBC2 today adding no insight and of very limited value. Talking about the GE being years away and lots of time.... re Blairites/Progress "I think they are going to keep their heads down and say nothing".
    Really?
  • Options

taffys said:

Well Tom Watson on TV yesterday publicly disagreed with his leader on defence issues and nobody made a fuss. Possibly that was because too many people were too busy pissing themselves laughing to notice, but even so having a deputy leader say he thought the leader was wrong on a major issue ought to have created a little stir.
    It was highlighted on the BBC news at 10 last night.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

to be fair that has to be true of anything over 10 but I would suggest that humiliation starts much lower than that, especially if top order is involved.
    "You're a Turnip" could be the "Keep Calm..." for 2015.
  • Options
    Great account of the Shadow Cabinet formation yesterday. Key point is that Eagle's promotion was basically a panicked reaction to Twitter. Bodes well.

http://news.sky.com/story/1552307/corbyns-cabinet-chaos-the-inside-story
  • Options

Toby Young @toadmeister
    Lucy Powell turned down DECC, saying "she wanted something to do with childcare”. So made Shadow Education Secretary bit.ly/1NrobQN
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Germany has upped its estimate of how many migrants will arrive this year from 800,000 to 1,000,000.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/one-million-refugees-could-come-to-germany-this-year-vice-chancellor-sigmar-gabriel/articleshow/48955788.cms

So if we get one in five once passports are given out, we'll get about 200,000 extra on top of the 300,000 net migration we already get.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

But no 'alternative government' opposition.
  • Options

Great account of the Shadow Cabinet formation yesterday. Key point is that Eagle's promotion was basically a panicked reaction to Twitter. Bodes well.

Jeez.... Jez really is just doing all of this on the fly.

Not one clue.
  • Options

Spot on. All the things Henry complains about. No-one now cares what Labour has to say about them. A party with no hope of forming an alternative government is irrelevant. The Tory leadership will have to work hard to keep its political radar intact.

As things stand, in 2020 we may be heading to the lowest general election turnout ever.

I agree with both of you. The Tories may only have a small majority but without any opposition to speak of the right wing loonies could assert themselves. The Euro referendum would be an ideal opportunity for that to happen and Corbyn may even exacerbate that.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

taffys said:

Absolutely.

Somehow, the recruiting slogan of "Army - be the billpayer" does not sound like a winner for getting young men and women into HM Forces..
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Jim Waterson @jimwaterson
    Understand Tories spending £££ buying YouTube/Facebook ads for this Corbyn attack vid across UK & not just marginals

Clearly going in brutal is the name of the game.

It has to be.

Jezza is far from cuddly, far from someone that anyone sane can do business with, and deserves no quarter given. EdM I get as a human being. Jezza? Nope.

I would rejoice if Cam on Weds started with a cold-eyed insult and firmed up from there.

• Options
    We still don't have:

Shadow Defence Secretary ?
    Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary ?
    Shadow Energy Secretary ?
    Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment ?
    Shadow Communities Secretary ?
    Shadow Culture Secretary ?
    Shadow Secretary of State for Transport ?
    Shadow Secretary of State for Wales ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Headline of the Telegraph "Labour leader appoints man who wanted to assassinate Thatcher"

The gift that keeps on giving

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Jeez.... Jez really is just doing all of this on the fly.

Not one clue.
    I liked the way Diane Abbott changed jobs after they realised that someone who claims white people play divide and rule might not do the best for community cohesion in the communities role.
  • Options

We still don't have:

This isn't amateur hour, it's amateur 24 hours.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

What irony there is in that. But that's Britain for you - it may be counterintuitive or silly, but it works (usually)
  • Options

isam said:

taffys said:

Absolutely.

Somehow, the recruiting slogan of "Army - be the billpayer" does not sound like a winner for getting young men and women into HM Forces..
    Having a bloke in charge that ultimately wants there to be no armed forces would be a real boon for them
  • Options
    isam said:

taffys said:

Absolutely.

Yes and the skiing in Cyprus in the morning before a swim in the Mediterranean sunshine in the afternoon - possibly those recruiting ads were before your time. Soldiers like to do soldiering.

• Options
    I'm sure Henry predicted the general response to his piece would be this, but I'm glad for it. I still disagree with its focus, if not the premise in a hypothetical sense, but variety is good.
  • Options

We still don't have:

What's the rush. I think Wales will do ok without a shadow for a few more hours.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Maybe Comrade Corbyn's plan is to destroy the bourgeois Labour party, so the proletariat are left with only one option - Revolution!
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Nick Palmer must be regretting his support now - he'll never live this down :D
  • Options

JC will always be with us in spirit.

PS Yes, I am inordinately amused with the Christ/Corbyn comparison.
  • Options

We still don't have:

I'm not a huge Corbyn fan but if he's running out of people who will take the job I'd be up for anything except the Wales one, assuming it's OK to telecommute.
  • Options

Steve Richards waffling on and on and on, on DP BBC2 today adding no insight and of very limited value. Talking about the GE being years away and lots of time.... re Blairites/Progress "I think they are going to keep their heads down and say nothing".
    Really?

Corbyn is busily messing things up after just a couple of days. He's best left to get on with that.