Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s reshuffle – the aftermath with more resignations e

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s reshuffle – the aftermath with more resignations expected

Labour MP tells me they hope to see "at least half a dozen" front bench resignations today. Very angry at "cowardly" sacking of Pat McFadden

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his life
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Well this is going well.
  • Options
    The only thing worse than this reshuffle is England's batting in South Africa today.

Absolute shower of shite.
  • Options
    You know the whole thing is a total and utter f##k up when Owen Jones is having to resort to posting Cat videos....
  • Options
    From the Guardian, The Tories won't stop banging on about National Security. Can't imagine why

Karen Lumley, a Conservative, asks David Cameron to promise that condemning terrorist attacks will not be a bar to high office.

Cameron says it should be a condition for holding high office. He says Pat McFadden was right to say what he said. It speaks volumes that he cannot sit in the shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    Well the chaos Labour reshuffle is continuing...England now 116 for 6 in the cricket. They really could lose this.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    It's just so exquisite.

You know the whole thing is a total and utter f##k up when Owen Jones is having to resort to posting Cat videos....

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

The only thing worse than this reshuffle is England's batting in South Africa today.

Mug declaration on day 2. But I didn't expect it to come to this...
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    A resignation during PMQs would just top it off, here's hoping...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 3m3 minutes ago
    Pat McFadden on the backbench - alongside Emma Reynolds, Liz Kendall, Chuka, Chris Leslie and Yvette Cooper

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    As I said on the previous thread, the comments by McFadden, Benn, Reynolds, Doughty and any other Labour MPs with a moral compass and a spine are going to be on every Conservative ad between now and the General Election.

Plus the fact that the Labour leader does not agree.

Labour is being painted as we speak as the Terrorists' Party.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Boycott is going to be insufferable.

Boycott? Insufferable? What am I saying.....
  • Options

I knew it would, I said it reminded me of Adelaide 2006
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KateEMcCann: Corbyn loses his place as he reads out a quote. Doesn't look as confident as he has in previous weeks. #pmqs
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

As I said on the previous thread, the comments by McFadden, Benn, Reynolds, Doughty and any other Labour MPs with a moral compass and a spine are going to be on every Conservative ad between now and the General Election.

Labour. Soft on terrorism, soft on the causes of terrorism....
  • Options
    @STJamesl: Cameron just said a shadow defence minister has resigned - what does he know? #pmqs
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Boycott is going to be insufferable.

Boycott? Insufferable? What am I saying.....
    Hard to imagine.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Pat McFadden on the backbench - alongside Emma Reynolds, Liz Kendall, Chuka, Chris Leslie and Yvette Cooper

That's not the back bench, that's the leper colony...
  • Options
    @Jamin2g: People are resigning on television, Labour are trailing by double digits in most polls. Has the penny dropped now?
    #bbcdp #pmqs
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

They are painting themselves as the Terrorists' Party.

Not that any of this should be a surprise, it follows inexorably from selecting Jeremy Corbyn as leader.
  • Options

That's not the back bench, that's the leper colony...
    a contagious disease i believe!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Jamin2g: People are resigning on television, Labour are trailing by double digits in most polls. Has the penny dropped now?
    #bbcdp #pmqs

One look at twitter feed...Nope...Corbynism sweeping the nation....
  • Options
    Mr Nabavi, thank you for your response on the other thread. In a future thread on the EC I would like to discuss what would push you into a Leave Vote. At that time I would state what would make me vote Remain.
    Meanwhile the megaomnishambles Labour party rolls along. Eagle and Watson sit beside Corbyn as if they have swallowed wasps or just smelt something bad.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not that any of this should be a surprise, it follows inexorably from selecting Jeremy Corbyn as leader.
    Well, looking on the bright side, that's the terrorist vote sewn up.
  • Options
    @BBCLouise: Lab leader @jeremycorbyn calls for cross party group to look at flooding and praises fire and rescue services response to floods #PMQs

@adamboultonSKY: DC When he's worked out how to co-ordinate his own party perhaps he could come and have a word with me.
  • Options
    Actually good PMQs from Corbyn, not a good look for Dave to be replying with partisan jibes whilst people are flooded out.
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Irony is, Jeremy Corbyn is doing a good job on challenging Govt over flooding. The storm his aides are causing will overshadow it
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Actually good PMQs from Corbyn, not a good look for Dave to be replying with partisan jibes whilst people are flooded out.

No-one will notice PMQs when shadow ministers are resigning live on BBC TV
  • Options
    OK, Dave wins PMQs with that Shakespeare tribute.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Reshuffle going into 12th NIght ....comedy of errors, much ado about nothing, love's labour's lost. #pmq ouch.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'I would like to discuss what would push you into a Leave Vote'

A flock of pigs appearing above Big Ben perhaps?

• Options

Cyclefree said:

No, indeed. Plenty of us warned them. But there was a lot of condescending poo-poohing as I recall.

Oh well, as they sowed, so shall they reap.

• Options
    Absolutely sickening to think that the self-evidently true comments of McFadden are now a bar to being in the cabinet of one of our so-called major parties of government. I never thought Labour could sink this low.

Anyone who thinks that terrorists are responsible for their own actions can not vote for that party while Corbyn is leader.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2016
    runnymede said:

'I would like to discuss what would push you into a Leave Vote'
    A flock of pigs appearing above Big Ben perhaps?

I think that it is important that we all have our red lines. Otherwise we agree to flying pigs and wonky bananas.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited January 2016
    Hear my soul speak:
    The very instant that I saw you, did
    My heart fly to your service.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/684710475964264450
  • Options

Mr Nabavi, thank you for your response on the other thread. In a future thread on the EC I would like to discuss what would push you into a Leave Vote. At that time I would state what would make me vote Remain.

Yep, that would be interesting. My main one would be a threat to the City, but I'd want to see what the alternative plan is.

Anyway, for now, back to rubber-necking at the pile-up.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    First time I've seen PMQs for months, surprised at how well Corbyn did and how Flashman is never far from the surface. Dave looked very uncomfortable to me and resorted to irrelevant personal jibes.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Cameron has a point though , doesnt he? Who would trust Corbyn with any disaster such as flooding, or God forbid defence, when he's been utterly incompetent thus far.
  • Options

Absolutely sickening to think that the self-evidently true comments of McFadden are now a bar to being in the cabinet of one of our so-called major parties of government. I never thought Labour could sink this low.

Anyone who thinks that terrorists are responsible for their own actions can not vote for that party while Corbyn is leader.

wasn't mcfadden a key union link person? surely the unions can't continue to stand and watch the total self-destruction of their party?
  • Options

Yep, that would be interesting. My main one would be a threat to the City, but I'd want to see what the alternative plan is.
    Anyway, for now, back to rubber-necking at the pile-up.
    Chins.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The whole Labour conversation is about increasing public spending.

Do they ever mention anything about helping private industry, which is where 83% of workers earn their living?

• Options

Does not say much for those prepared to be in the shadow cabinet. Tainted by association.
  • Options

wasn't mcfadden a key union link person? surely the unions can't continue to stand and watch the total self-destruction of their party?
    So was Dugher.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

#bbcdp #pmqs

Twitter is not the electorate.
  • Options

First time I've seen PMQs for months, surprised at how well Corbyn did and how Flashman is never far from the surface. Dave looked very uncomfortable to me and resorted to irrelevant personal jibes.

What does it matter? Politics is partly about framing the big questions so that the obvious answer is your party. What big question is the Labour party framing?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,303
    FPT

Cyclefree said:

» show previous quotes

You may not want it Mr Nabavi. But the status quo is not really an option, is it? Ever closer union is. And something like a European Federation is what that will lead to.

The choice is not really between Leave - with all the very many uncertainties and difficulties that will entail - and what we have now but between Leave and further integration.

None of what we have been told Cameron has asked for will put a stop to further integration. So if we Remain that is what we will get."

I said:

This is the important part of Cameron's negotiation. It is absolutely obvious and indeed essential that the EZ is going to integrate further. Given that it will hopefully improve their economic performance and demand for our goods and services it is in our interests that they do so.

So what will the relationship be between non EZ members and the EZ bloc? What will be our protections against them using the EU to the advantage of the Euro and the ECB rather than all the members? There needs to be a very good answer to this or we have to try our luck in the EEA and see what we can negotiate from the outside.

I am tending to out because I don't see any sign of an answer. Instead the focus is on comparative trivia like in work benefits for people working in this country. We need them to get on with integrating and still have a say and the right to protect our essential interests. Or we leave. It surely is that simple.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016

Scott_P said:

#bbcdp #pmqs

It was a joke...Well I'm joking...The Maomentum lot of twitter aren't. They just think all the polls are lying and that Corbyn really is popular up and down the land, rather than popular within tiny pockets.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2016
    chestnut said:

The whole Labour conversation is about increasing public spending.
    Do they ever mention anything about helping private industry, which is where 83% of workers earn their living?

They had a shadow city minister who does not believe in capitalism and a shadow secy of state for agriculture who does not believe in people eating meat. Now we also have a shadow SoS for defence that does not believe in us having weapons.
  • Options
    Labour also have a Leader and top team that do not believe in winning General Elections.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Watch shadow minister quit Labour frontbench live on TV https://t.co/umKTbCkFlp https://t.co/4aGPHKJ6cS
  • Options

Cameron has a point though , doesnt he? Who would trust Corbyn with any disaster such as flooding, or God forbid defence, when he's been utterly incompetent thus far.

That is the bigger point of the past few days of reshuffling chaos. Most of the electorate still know little or nothing about Corbyn. Even those who do know something of his politics are still uncertain how far his left wing views can be implemented.

For most, Corbyn is becoming a by-word for fiasco.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Betting, worse than that. The Shadow Defence Secretary doesn't want us to have flags either ;)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Incidentally, if there is a plan (which I consider unlikely given it is Labour involved, but let us pretend for a second that there is), it would be humiliating for the leadership to do a reshuffle that provokes 10 or 15 resignations throughout the day.

If the cabinet couldn't be filled, Corbo would have to resign.

Surely?
  • Options
    the world has gone mad - in the comments section of the guardian Michael White is getting called out as some sort of crypto fascist for suggesting Corbyn is.... err....not that good at politics.

Toynbee et al not pure enough for the true believers. Extraordinary as I dont really remember the old militant stuff.

I know pretty much everyone is sick of the status quo but this?

Labour really looking like two parties now irespective of a formal split.
  • Options
    Ouch, Dave just given Hilary Benn a real kicking there.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Can someone explain why Benn and Eagle haven't walked?
  • Options
    wow from Cameron
    "the question is what are the member for Leeds and other people doing in the shadow cabinet?"
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cam putting the boot in to the new shadow defence secretary - must think Jezza is safe.
  • Options

Labour also have a Leader and top team that do not believe in winning General Elections.

Gen elections are simply events during which the false consciousness of the electorate is demonstrated.
  • Options
    Cameron just comprehensively traduced labour
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, what did he say about Benn?

If it involves the colour of gimp suit zips, I may consult my lawyers.
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: Grim faces along the Labour front bench as David Cameron asks "what on earth" they are doing serving under Jeremy Corbyn. #pmqs
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Dave missed a chance for a "Northern Playhouse" gag there.
  • Options
    @DMcCaffreySKY: Steve Rotheram MP and PPS to Jeremy Corbyn just past his phone to Corbyn during #PMQs - with what message I wonder?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016

Watch shadow minister quit Labour frontbench live on TV https://t.co/umKTbCkFlp https://t.co/4aGPHKJ6cS

Cliff Notes...I am resigning because Jahadi Jez is making the Labour Party look like a bunch of Terrorist Sympathizers.

I hear the TS look is all the rage this year. All the kids are sporting it.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Report Kevan Jones has quit.
  • Options
    Stewart Jackson (late of this parish) fed the dynamite question to Cameron about Thornberry's tainted money.
  • Options

Ouch, Dave just given Hilary Benn a real kicking there.

What did he say?

• Options

Mr. Eagles, what did he say about Benn?

If it involves the colour of gimp suit zips, I may consult my lawyers.

He said Corbyn is the most hard left, unilateralist, big spending etc Labour party in living memory, what is Hilary Benn doing there?
  • Options
    ... another one bites the dust:

cathynewman · 2m2 minutes ago
    Labour's @KevanJonesMP has quit the front bench over #Trident I understand. More front benchers are to follow I'm told. #reshuffle

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, sounds like a statement of fact.

Nice to hear Thornberry getting the attention she deserves as well.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Quick - get word into the Chamber.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited January 2016
    MaxPB said:

Can someone explain why Benn and Eagle haven't walked?

As Benn needs a top Shadow Cabinet post to become Labour's Michael Howard and replace Corbyn as leader, if not he becomes Heseltine
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

At least with England you know that if they'll be safe as long as they can make it through to tea.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

Gen elections are simply events during which the false consciousness of the electorate is demonstrated.
    I agree.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Quick - get word into the Chamber.
    Sounds like Cameron knew already.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Did the PM know about Kevan Jones's resignation before #PMQs? He said a defence shadow had resigned, & I thought he'd made a mistake
  • Options
    The junior members of the Labour team might just be hinting that there is a future for the Labour party after all.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    I'm still in denial about what McDonnell said on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently in a free vote Shadow Cabinet members should speak and vote in line with not their own conscience but the views expressed by the party leader. And JJ agrees 100% with what McFadden said about terrorists but apparently McFadden said it in the wrong context, or somesuch.
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: New Shadow Defence Secretary Emily Thornberry not on the Labour frontbench for PMQs. Trying to persuade the rest of her team not to quit?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

#bbcdp #pmqs

No but it might be a half decent guide to the Labour electorate.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The junior members of the Labour team might just be hinting that there is a future for the Labour party after all.

In the past, junior shadow ministers would have been dissuaded from resigning by the big beasts in the shadow Cabinet. But such big beasts as Labour has are mostly already on the backbenches.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited January 2016
    I've just realised who Tom Watson reminds me of during today's PMQs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DAQc0ZY3sC8/TenecaIWRVI/AAAAAAAABfg/vk7s3niKRSE/s1600/SISSY+ADA.jpg
  • Options
    @rustinpeace00: Problem with Corbyn appointing people who aren't crackpot hard leftists is that they keep resigning when they realise what he's about. #PMQs
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Labour's @KevanJonesMP has quit the front bench over #Trident I understand. More front benchers are to follow I'm told. #reshuffle

Not normally one for dramatics, but this is beginning to look seriously bad for Corbyn.
  • Options
    Which member of the Shadow Cabinet does this refer to?

@Wwm_Shakespeare: Be you his eunuch, and your mute I’ll be
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2016
    Ladbrokes next shadow cabinet member to leave
    2/1 Benn

The above is a rotten bet. Hilary will never leave his chair voluntarily, one would need a psychological bulldozer to even lift him an inch.

And if he is kicked out after all this, he will be a broken reed. No one would respect him.
  • Options
    Mr T. Screaming Eagles

Any relation to Angela Eagle or Maria Eagle?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Cam putting the boot in to the new shadow defence secretary - must think Jezza is safe.

Might it not be more to tie him to Corbyn so that if JC does fall then Benn is tainted by association?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

I'm still in denial about what McDonnell said on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently in a free vote Shadow Cabinet members should speak and vote in line with not their own conscience but the views expressed by the party leader. And JJ agrees 100% with what McFadden said about terrorists but apparently McFadden said it in the wrong context, or somesuch.

No - McDonnell said that if front benchers want to speak against the party line in a free vote, they can do so from the back benches rather than the front bench. Justin Webb couldn't grasp this, and thought McDonnell was saying that the shadow minister would have to resign, when all he was saying was he or she would have to sit in a different place to make their speech.
  • Options

DavidL said:

In the past, junior shadow ministers would have been dissuaded from resigning by the big beasts in the shadow Cabinet. But such big beasts as Labour has are mostly already on the backbenches.
    Yes but the cowards who remain in post are really being shown up. Cameron was right to give them a proper kicking.
  • Options

Not normally one for dramatics, but this is beginning to look seriously bad for Corbyn.
    If a cabinet member were belatedly to join in. Doesn't seem likely though?
  • Options
    Reminds of the opening of a certain 'niche' movie I watched in a hotel once.

@RhonddaBryant: I'm grateful for the concern of journalists asking why I'm not at PMQs. I'm sitting in a freezing flat waiting for a boiler engineer.
  • Options
    Just think in 4 years time this lot could be running the country....

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/684713295643852800
  • Options

Oh no they won't!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Couldn't help himself I imagine. Enormous temptation there, and he does like a good jibe.
  • Options

Oh no they won't!
    Oh yes they will...he's behind you....
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, needs a bigger resignation to really hurt.

Bad for Corbyn, but not too serious.
  • Options
    @hopisen: PMQs for next few months:
    Corbyn: *Grumpily peers over glasses* You did a bad thing.
    Cameron: You're Jeremy Corbyn. You _are_ a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.