Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Article 50 Supreme Court hearing will be a live televised

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Article 50 Supreme Court hearing will be a live televised BETTING event

In a couple of weeks time all eyes will be on Britain’s Supreme Court when the 11 eleven justices will decide whether to uphold the government’s appeal against the Divisional court decision that the Royal Preoperative cannot be used to trigger Article 50.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited November 2016
    I'm surprised they have allowed betting on this court case.

In the UK, there have been de facto bets on people being charged with crimes, I recall with fondness the markets on Chris Huhne still being a cabinet minister at the start of the 2011 Lib Dem conference.

Over the pond, I'm fairly certain there were bets available in the UK on the outcome of Bush v Gore
  • Options
    The punters will get it wrong yet again!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I offered a bet on this weeks ago and nobody wanted it :innocent:
  • Options
    How could the court prevent a betting market? Can't see a way to square it as contempt of court and can't think of any other way it could be blocked.
  • Options

How could the court prevent a betting market? Can't see a way to square it as contempt of court and can't think of any other way it could be blocked.

Would you fancy a court system where the judges, and where applicable juries, could profit from a particular verdict ?
  • Options
    Why on earth is this being televised? This just adds to the mounting feeling of irrational hysteria that is starting to surround the whole Brexit carry-on e.g. "Enemy of the people".

Putting it on live TV is just adding fuel to fire and gives the far right and Farage yet another reason to turn up and protest outside.

May should accept the original judgment, which was obviously correct, and put forward the one-line bill that PB has been suggesting for weeks and get the f* on with it.
  • Options

Would you fancy a court system where the judges, and where applicable juries, could profit from a particular verdict ?
    They won't be able to stop it for long, the decentralized crypto-currency markets can't be censored without shutting the internet down.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT @ rcs1000

Robert, I saw an amusing diagram to explain the status of the Trump appointments process.

Candidates: everyone
    Positions: for everything

PS it was in a much better graphic form that than.
  • Options
    ‘live televised BETTING event’ ? - Sounds more like two entirely separate events, unless the court usher is chalking up the odds on a tote board throughout the proceedings....
  • Options

Why on earth is this being televised? This just adds to the mounting feeling of irrational hysteria that is starting to surround the whole Brexit carry-on e.g. "Enemy of the people".

Putting it on live TV is just adding fuel to fire and gives the far right and Farage yet another reason to turn up and protest outside.

May should accept the original judgment, which was obviously correct, and put forward the one-line bill that PB has been suggesting for weeks and get the f* on with it.

Surely, something of this importance to the interpretation of the constitution has to be as transparent as possible. I don't think putting it on TV necessarily adds to transparency, but any attempt to prevent it being on TV would be incendiary.
  • Options
    I predict a Daily Mail headline of 'Are evil EU loving judges going to win money by ignoring the will of the people?'
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited November 2016

I predict a Daily Mail headline of 'Are evil EU loving judges going to win money by ignoring the will of the people?'

"I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people."
    - Derek Jacobi as Senator Gracchus in "Gladiator"
  • Options

LOL.

'Elite judges bet on own judgement in EU super case'
  • Options
    If my memory is correct I believe Paddy Power bet on the court cases of both Oscar Pistorius and O.J. Simpson.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2016
    Mikedq said:

If my memory is correct I believe Paddy Power bet on the court cases of both Oscar Pistorius and O.J. Simpson.

In the former case, complete with the stupendous offer of "Money back if he walks"
  • Options
    Mikedq said:

Paddy Power offer morally dubious bet...never....

Didn't bookies also offer bets on Micheal Jackson trial?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited November 2016

‘live televised BETTING event’ ? - Sounds more like two entirely separate events, unless the court usher is chalking up the odds on a tote board throughout the proceedings....

My Lords, before I speak may I suggest taking the Skybet price boost from 3-1 to 7-2 for this court to overturn the decision.
  • Options
    Have Paddy Power paid out yet…? - Innocent face
  • Options
    This Supreme Court decision is sponsored by Ladbrokes, Paddy Power & William Hill.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My Lords, before I speak may I suggest taking the Skybet price boost from 3-1 to 7-2 for this court to overturn the decision.
    The investment advice offered by the Government notwithstanding, the court finds that 1/4 was massive.
  • Options

Mikedq said:

In the former case, complete with the stupendous offer of "Money back if he walks"
    Yes it was a great offer, for all £1.20 that Paddy let me have on.
  • Options

Mikedq said:

How could I have forgotten that by publicity shy Paddy Power?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

All Supreme Court hearings are streamed live and have been for a number of years ( the first was a tax case I believe). You can find previous hearings on the website.
  • Options
    Paddy Power offers you your money back if the Sun & Mail criticise the judges and verdict.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016

Paddy Power offers you your money back if the Sun & Mail criticise the judges and verdict.

What scamps those Irish fellers are....I remember when they had Bruce Grobbelaar advertising their football bets.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MTimT said:

FPT @ rcs1000

Robert, I saw an amusing diagram to explain the status of the Trump appointments process.

Candidates: everyone
    Positions: for everything

PS it was in a much better graphic form that than.

Here is the link:

https://twitter.com/pbump?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Oops, that link is to his twitter feed in general. The diagram was posted November 17

There is a lot of good stuff. The gif on the winning margins by state in presidential elections since 1916 is great (Nov 18), as is the diagram of when each cabinet position was named for the last 5 transitions (Nov 17).
  • Options
    Mikedq said:

New or returning (1 post). Either way, welcome (back)
  • Options
    It's great to see the Supreme Court recognising the importance of this case and giving its judgment(s) the widest possible audience.
  • Options

LOL.

Posh transvestites sell your future for personal gain.
  • Options

It's great to see the Supreme Court recognising the importance of this case and giving its judgment(s) the widest possible audience.

Something we agree upon!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Have you seen this market?

Marianne Overton is 15/2 to finish second in the Sleaford by election

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2720303
  • Options

The same arguments were put, and rejected (eventually), regarding the televising of parliament.
  • Options
    Will there be a spread on the numbers for Farage's 100k march of the people?
  • Options
    The media must already be salivating over this. All those political correspondents posing outside the Supreme Court, trying to look important. Another day to "bury bad news."
  • Options

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2720303
    The 2-15 for the bookie looks huge to me there.
  • Options
    The value, by the way, is on "overrule High Court". No way is it a 1 in 4 shot. While I regard it as odds against, I'd back it from 6/4 upwards.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Paddy Power are taking the piss with this market (unless I've missed something)

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2720188
  • Options
    Checks betting patterns on game....
  • Options
    I'm surprised and disappointed that No 10 fell into Donald Trump's trap and answered that tweet re Farage. There should have been a phone call to his team, explaining under no circumstances are they going to conduct diplomacy by tweet!

Nigel Farage and his ego are really going to be a pain in the bum for Theresa May. He could do so much damage.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I really dislike the idea of justice as entertainment.

As for the Parliament angle: it's entirely different. Politicians are chosen by and should govern for the people. In court, it's about a judgement, one side versus the other. Those speaking may play to the national gallery. In the US, jurors then giving media interviews are distasteful, and that may follow here. Not to mention the news channels will have tedious saturation coverage.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Paddy Power are taking the piss with this market (unless I've missed something)

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2720188
    I'm not certain UKIP are a 1-4 shoo in for second in Sleaford to be perfectly frank.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    MTimT said:

LOL.

GENDER BENDER JUDGE FUDGE
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Going to be a lot more angry people in America now!
  • Options

MTimT said:

LOL.

we have a winner. :lol:
  • Options
    I can't see a judge being influenced by the returns offered by Paddy Power's maximum stakes.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

I'm surprised and disappointed that No 10 fell into Donald Trump's trap and answered that tweet re Farage. There should have been a phone call to his team, explaining under no circumstances are they going to conduct diplomacy by tweet!

Nigel Farage and his ego are really going to be a pain in the bum for Theresa May. He could do so much damage.

Yes, very true on all counts.
  • Options

I can't see a judge being influenced by the returns offered by Paddy Power's maximum stakes.

... implying that you can see a judge being influenced by a more substantial offer?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Scott_P said:
    Only the ones who haven't thought it through (okay, just like on here that will be most of them)

Nobody is going to survive a Senate nomination hearing as AG, FBI Director etc if they go in with sharpened torches and burning pitchforks.

Dampen this down and make conciliatory noises about letting the doddery old crone go quietly senile on her own in her bathchair. Then in six months time the inquiry into the Clinton Foundation will spontaneously warm up and Trump will say it's the FBI acting independently.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    The most alarming part of that article is the otherwise excellent John Redwood using the torturous non-word "sportspeople".
  • Options
    Mr. M, sounds like calling a mailman a person-person :p
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    dr_spyn said:
    I really don't know what to say to that kind of idiocy. Too many foreigners in the premier league restricting homegrown chance to develop, too much money too young, poor management etc etc etc...nope we are talking about 1 or 2 more privately educated people in the England squad of 24 than demographics suggest there should be...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    If Trump wants to kiss and make up with Hillary maybe he should make her ambassador to the UK?
  • Options

... implying that you can see a judge being influenced by a more substantial offer?
    Everyone has a price, whether they know and accept that or not.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016

If Trump wants to kiss and make up with Hillary maybe he should make her ambassador to the UK?

The position of ambassador to the UK is far too useful to throw away on an old has been.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Is that saying the French are the most self-aware people in the world?

Edit: Football Chant: "You're Shit And You Know You Are"
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

He might take your advice too literally.
  • Options

The position of ambassador to the UK is far too useful to throw away on an old has been.
    John Adams says hello
  • Options
    I reckon there's a Border Agency official that's an Arsenal fan

PSG 'stunned' as Serge Aurier barred from entering Britain for Arsenal clash

Aurier convicted of acting violently towards police in September

PSG believes decision ‘attacks the very integrity of Champions League’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/22/psg-stunned-as-serge-aurier-barred-from-entering-britain-for-arsenal-clash
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    I really don't know what to say to that kind of idiocy. Too many foreigners in the premier league restricting homegrown chance to develop, too much money too young, poor management etc etc etc...nope we are talking about 1 or 2 more privately educated people in the England squad of 24 than demographics suggest there should be...
    It went belly-up after the shutdown of our mines.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Only if we can get rid of an annoying failed politician as ambassador to the USA in return. I wouldn't inflict George Osborne on our American cousins though.
  • Options
    What was it Andy Warhol said, In the future, everyone will be UKIP leader for 15 minutes?

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/801089700379369477
  • Options
    Another u-turn from Trump

@realDonaldTrump: The meeting with the @nytimes is back on at 12:30 today. Look forward to it!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/22/psg-stunned-as-serge-aurier-barred-from-entering-britain-for-arsenal-clash

Wasn't there some spin from PSG re presumption of innocence, yet the guy has a suspended sentence for assault?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Should have paid some guy on Calais to smuggle him in.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:
    Only the ones who haven't thought it through (okay, just like on here that will be most of them)

Nobody is going to survive a Senate nomination hearing as AG, FBI Director etc if they go in with sharpened torches and burning pitchforks.

Dampen this down and make conciliatory noises about letting the doddery old crone go quietly senile on her own in her bathchair. Then in six months time the inquiry into the Clinton Foundation will spontaneously warm up and Trump will say it's the FBI acting independently.
    Removes any temptation that Obama might have to pardon her while he's still in office, as well. But we'll see.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    GeoffM said:

no they don't
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    President-elect Donald Trump should shut down his personal Twitter account, American voters say 59%-35%, according to Quinnipiac poll.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''President-elect Donald Trump should shut down his personal Twitter account, American voters say 59%-35%, according to Quinnipiac poll. ''

Perhaps they don;t want a running commentary.....
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

I really dislike the idea of justice as entertainment.

As for the Parliament angle: it's entirely different. Politicians are chosen by and should govern for the people. In court, it's about a judgement, one side versus the other. Those speaking may play to the national gallery. In the US, jurors then giving media interviews are distasteful, and that may follow here. Not to mention the news channels will have tedious saturation coverage.

I agree in parts. However, here, we're talking about a court comprised of judges alone - no jury - and extremely senior judges at that. Certainly it should not be seen as entertainment and one would hope that the court (or any televised court) would strongly criticise any lawyer playing to an audience beyond the courtroom. But this case does have enormous implications for the governance of the country, as well as more short-term political consequences, and it's probably right that the public be able to see the cases argued.

As for the TV channels, yes, but then if they weren't in the court rooms they'd be reporting from outside.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122

MTimT said:

LOL.

Out-of-touch judges bet on own judgment using mobile phones while driving to EU junket.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Quite right too!
  • Options

GeoffM said:

no they don't
    Everyone has a price, it might just not be money. You could bet a million pounds, kidnap their children/wives/siblings, and tell them they need to decide in your favour.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:
    Contrary to popular opinion, the English team is not far off as successful as it has ever been. This idea of a past golden age is a myth. Yes, there was 1966, when England pre-qualified and then played all their games at Wembley, but that apart, progression beyond the last eight at either World Cup or Euros has been rare. In fact, England's record in qualifying for finals tournaments is better now than it was in the 1970s or 1980s, when English clubs were dominating Europe.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Chris said:

MTimT said:

LOL.

Out-of-touch judges bet on own judgment using mobile phones while driving to EU junket.
    I think you need to get the word 'romp' in there somewhere.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1824/trump-game - I've probably been beaten to this, but Trump: The Game has seen something of an upsurge in popularity in the last couple of weeks. Ratings on BGG skewed by supporters/opponents rating it either 10 or 1 in their droves.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

GeoffM said:

no they don't
    Everyone has a price, it might just not be money. You could bet a million pounds, kidnap their children/wives/siblings, and tell them they need to decide in your favour.
    in that sense yes but its then blackmail.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122

Chris said:

MTimT said:

LOL.

I think you need to get the word 'romp' in there somewhere.
    Hmm, yes. Perhaps it should end "... while driving to romp in gay brothel in Brussels"?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Scott_P said:
    President-elect Donald Trump should shut down his personal Twitter account, American voters say 59%-35%, according to Quinnipiac poll.
    So that means the real figure is 78% to 11% in favour of him continuing then?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Quite right too!
    You're an Arsenal fan aren't you?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

no they don't
    Yes we do. And we'll always find a way to rationalise and justify it afterwards, too.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    So that means the real figure is 78% to 11% in favour of him continuing then?
    Heh

I bet alot of that 59% read all his tweets.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

no they don't
    Yes we do. And we'll always find a way to rationalise and justify it afterwards, too.
    What's your price for accepting continuing EU membership? :)
  • Options
    Turns out that's Bobby Sol
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

no they don't
    What's your price for accepting continuing EU membership? :)
    Very high, and in the extreme cases we won't ever know what our own price is unless it is genuinely and realistically offered.

I suspect that mine would involve Kate Upton and Pixie Lott. And whipped cream.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''President-elect Donald Trump should shut down his personal Twitter account, American voters say 59%-35%, according to Quinnipiac poll. ''

Perhaps they don;t want a running commentary.....

Trump means Trump.
    Suck it up, Libtards.
  • Options

Kiss and make up with Hillary and make her ambassador to the UK. That is a hell of a price.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Posh Stella complains about people like her dominating sports....
    http://order-order.com/2016/11/22/stella-creasy-says-englands-footballers-posh/
  • Options
    Just noticed this. Now why has George grassed up Philip?

Guido Quote of the Day
    Rachel Sylvester quotes a Tory MP on the relationship between Philip Hammond and Theresa May:
    “they really didn’t get on, he was forever telling George [Osborne] he couldn’t stand her”
  • Options
    edited November 2016

surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:
    Contrary to popular opinion, the English team is not far off as successful as it has ever been. This idea of a past golden age is a myth. Yes, there was 1966, when England pre-qualified and then played all their games at Wembley, but that apart, progression beyond the last eight at either World Cup or Euros has been rare. In fact, England's record in qualifying for finals tournaments is better now than it was in the 1970s or 1980s, when English clubs were dominating Europe.
    We missed a golden opportunity on June 23rd when, if the result was right, the Germans would have given the third goal to us. Now we will have to wait........
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Anyone who thinks that Civil Court cases can be sold as entertainment was not in Court 8 of the Court of Session today...moving on the Faculty of Advocates is planning to livestream this event onto a large screen and possibly even provide some snacks so a chance to bet on the outcome would just add to the fun. Of course punters need to be aware that this case will almost certainly be taken to avizandum so the written decision will not come out until later.
  • Options

Guido Quote of the Day
    Rachel Sylvester quotes a Tory MP on the relationship between Philip Hammond and Theresa May:
    “they really didn’t get on, he was forever telling George [Osborne] he couldn’t stand her”

Soon no one would have to do it, the way Ma'am is going. Apparently, the Great Repeal Bill is heading for the cliffs.
  • Options

Guido Quote of the Day

Because he's a childish schemer busy shit stirring.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    IS it alt-right or mainstream right now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FhncBnxFY
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    surbiton said:

Guido Quote of the Day

Soon no one would have to do it, the way Ma'am is going. Apparently, the Great Repeal Bill is heading for the cliffs.
    Once again there is a serious lack of tactical co-ordination here. Anyone with half a brain would have realised that the Great Reform Bill (with added repeal of 1972 Act!!) really should be published before this case is heard so the point can be made that Parliament will have plenty of opportunity to debate and decide on these points and address all questions of rights that might arise from the various Acts repealed and amended.

I remain to be persuaded that the government is really trying here which makes the decision remaining undisturbed look quite tempting.
This discussion has been closed.