Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Blair Impede Brexit Project: Ladbrokes makes it odds-on th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Blair Impede Brexit Project: Ladbrokes makes it odds-on that UK will still be “fully paid-up” member of the EU on Jan 1 2020

@MSmithsonPB pic.twitter.com/DBtOt3sQHk

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Interesting
  • Options
    Tony shouldn't worry about the treason stuff, it's only the same halfwits saying it whose first comment when Jo Cox was attacked was to ask if her attacker had a beard
  • Options
    (a) What's the probability of Article 50 not being triggered by 1/1/18?

(b) If it is, what's the probability of an extension to Britain's membership of the EU being agreed during the Article 50 period?

I'd say the odds on these two are roughly (a) 25% and (b) 40%. That makes the odds of Britain still being in the EU on 1 January 2020 close to the 10/11 offered by Ladbrokes.

Insert your own percentages according to taste.
  • Options
    If Labour don't sort their poop out in a decade's time people will be saying Blair was the only Labour leader to have won a working majority for Labour in the last 60 years.
  • Options
    Is there a book anywhere on whether France or UK will leave first? My money would now be on FR.

Mind you, when FR votes for LePen and leaving, there then won't be an EU for us to leave.
  • Options

(b) If it is, what's the probability of an extension to Britain's membership of the EU being agreed during the Article 50 period?

I'd say the odds on these two are roughly (a) 25% and (b) 40%. That makes the odds of Britain still being in the EU on 1 January 2020 close to the 10/11 offered by Ladbrokes.

What odds would you make it on the government triggering Article 50 and then revoking it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell
    Words and electioneering. Fillon: “France isn’t a multicultural nation. When you come to someone’s house, by courtesy, you don’t take over.” https://t.co/I7QjQxCy2K

Wow! So who are Arab and Muslim citizens of France supposed to vote for in the second round, if it's Fillon versus Le Pen?

It is possible to be so stinky that even if you hand out clothespegs people won't vote for you.

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell
    Words and electioneering. Fillon: “France isn’t a multicultural nation. When you come to someone’s house, by courtesy, you don’t take over.” https://t.co/I7QjQxCy2K

France has never been multicultural, always being explicitly assimilationalist. Indeed this is why it does not collect data on ethnic background and religions of its people. They are simply French.

Arguably this has not worked out very well.
    Many aren't seen as "French" even officially. About half of the Muslim residents in France aren't French citizens. (Source.)
    One of the reasons I think Fillon is too short is I think a lot of Left Wing voters will hold their noses and vote Macron in the first round to avoid Fillon vs Le Pen.
    If it is Macron vs Le Pen though then that would be a fillip to Le Pen who might see Republicans voting for her over Macron.

Fillon vs Le Pen and I don't think Le Pen has a chance. Then again, didn't think Trump had one.
    The problem with that argument is that we have a lot of actual voting evidence from France in the last two years that suggest that Les Republicains voters would rather vote Communist than FN. The FN went backwards in vote share in both the Regional and Departmental elections last year.

Indeed, the only place where there was a tick up in the second round for the FN was in the Pas de Calais Regional election where Marine Le Pen went from 40.6% to 42.2% - just a 1.6% bump.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Never mind this, my vote has just arrived for the yellow peril internal elections.
  • Options

That's a fair way of looking at it (although there is the possibility of either event occurring but not triggering the bet e.g. A50 invoked 31/3/17; extension agreed Dec 2018 until Dec 2019).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Pulpstar said:

Never mind this, my vote has just arrived for the yellow peril internal elections.

Enter into the spirit - wear socks & sandals when you cast your ballot.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Brexit-exit momentum is building.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Is there a book anywhere on whether France or UK will leave first? My money would now be on FR.

Mind you, when FR votes for LePen and leaving, there then won't be an EU for us to leave.

It does give a valid reason for a fresh referendum though. There must be some people who voted to leave the current EU who would want to stay if the French weren't in it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

Wow! So who are Arab and Muslim citizens of France supposed to vote for in the second round, if it's Fillon versus Le Pen?

It is possible to be so stinky that even if you hand out clothespegs people won't vote for you.

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

France has never been multicultural, always being explicitly assimilationalist. Indeed this is why it does not collect data on ethnic background and religions of its people. They are simply French.

Many aren't seen as "French" even officially. About half of the Muslim residents in France aren't French citizens. (Source.)
    One of the reasons I think Fillon is too short is I think a lot of Left Wing voters will hold their noses and vote Macron in the first round to avoid Fillon vs Le Pen.
    If it is Macron vs Le Pen though then that would be a fillip to Le Pen who might see Republicans voting for her over Macron.

Fillon vs Le Pen and I don't think Le Pen has a chance. Then again, didn't think Trump had one.
    The problem with that argument is that we have a lot of actual voting evidence from France in the last two years that suggest that Les Republicains voters would rather vote Communist than FN. The FN went backwards in vote share in both the Regional and Departmental elections last year.

Indeed, the only place where there was a tick up in the second round for the FN was in the Pas de Calais Regional election where Marine Le Pen went from 40.6% to 42.2% - just a 1.6% bump.
    Last year is an age ago.

ISIS will do their best to make sure LePen wins and thereby cause more mayhem in Europe.

I'm green on this, unless Juppe returns from the dead, and judging by the reviews of the debate last night that's not happening. A Macron win would be a big pay day, but I am stealing myself for LePen.

The EU is on very borrowed time, sad to say.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

I think Macron might struggle against Le Pen. It would be a race fought on the same basis as Clinton vs Trump, at least the cultural and immigration aspects. Now that might not be enough to get Le Pen across the line but in addition to the protectionist and anti-EU/Euro policies it will be a much closer race than Fillon vs Le Pen would ever be. Le Pen being the only nominally right wing choice might be difficult for Macron to handle.
  • Options

It does give a valid reason for a fresh referendum though. There must be some people who voted to leave the current EU who would want to stay if the French weren't in it.
    :lol: Millions.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

A Communist president wouldn't necessarily be a better outcome (not that Macron is but Melenchon is polling around 15%).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think Macron might struggle against Le Pen. It would be a race fought on the same basis as Clinton vs Trump, at least the cultural and immigration aspects. Now that might not be enough to get Le Pen across the line but in addition to the protectionist and anti-EU/Euro policies it will be a much closer race than Fillon vs Le Pen would ever be. Le Pen being the only nominally right wing choice might be difficult for Macron to handle.

Macron might not be narcissistic enough to spend most of the race telling his own base how great they are. (To be fair, he wouldn't have a Stein to worry about either).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    First time poster (be gentle). Thinking about a post-negotiation 2nd referendum. A sensible government might offer 3 options on an AV basis.
    1 Accept terms as negotiated.
    2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.
    This would allow headbangers on both sides to vent. It would also give the greatest chance of the measure being passed (ie, govt terms finish in top 2, win on transfers). It would also show there is no majority for staying in, or for fantasy total isolation from EU, thus diminishing charges of "betrayal", by establishing a new will of the people. It would settle the issue and allow sensible Leavers and Remainers to unite, isolate the nutters and deal with some of the genuine problems we have.
    Long way from here to there though.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Be interesting if France did choose to leave before we had got to the serious point of our exit negotiations, and then the UK and France insisted with the EU that they negotiate Brexit and Frexit a trois.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

A Communist president wouldn't necessarily be a better outcome (not that Macron is but Melenchon is polling around 15%).
    Ok, I'm not green if he wins.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Would anyone like to do a spread bet with me on France? Clearly, there is a substantial minority of people on here that think Marine Le Pen is likely to win. The betting markets have her as a 25% chance.

What I'd like to do is a sell at 42.5% of the Second Round vote (i.e. a 15% victory for her opponent), and I'd like to get about GBP1,000 a percent, divided up by as many people who are comfortable playing.

I reckon my 42.5% is probably generous compared to what's implied in the current 4.0 odds, and offers good upside to anyone who even thinks it's going to be close.

Anyone want to take me up?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

Last year is an age ago.

ISIS will do their best to make sure LePen wins and thereby cause more mayhem in Europe.

I'm green on this, unless Juppe returns from the dead, and judging by the reviews of the debate last night that's not happening. A Macron win would be a big pay day, but I am stealing myself for LePen.

'Steeling', isn't it (unless you're doing something the ownership of which of leaves my mind spinning)?
  • Options

If Labour don't sort their poop out in a decade's time people will be saying Blair was the only Labour leader to have won a working majority for Labour in the last 60 years.

But Blair doesn't count, remember. So in a decade's time it will be "Wilson was the only real Labour leader to have won a working majority in 80 years".
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Be interesting if France did choose to leave before we had got to the serious point of our exit negotiations, and then the UK and France insisted with the EU that they negotiate Brexit and Frexit a trois.
    I don't think the EU survives a FR exit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

If Melenchon were to make it through to the final two, I think Le Pen would cruise to victory.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

First time poster (be gentle). Thinking about a post-negotiation 2nd referendum. A sensible government might offer 3 options on an AV basis.
    2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.
    This would allow headbangers on both sides to vent. It would also give the greatest chance of the measure being passed (ie, govt terms finish in top 2, win on transfers). It would also show there is no majority for staying in, or for fantasy total isolation from EU, thus diminishing charges of "betrayal", by establishing a new will of the people. It would settle the issue and allow sensible Leavers and Remainers to unite, isolate the nutters and deal with some of the genuine problems we have.

Welcome. Any AV proposal will always get a warm hearing on here.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

If France voted to leave the EU then the project is finished. They might as well just dissolve it and fall back to EFTA.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

PlatoSaid said:

Robert Kimbell

Last year is an age ago.

'Steeling', isn't it (unless you're doing something the ownership of which of leaves my mind spinning)?
    :cookie:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

What happens with option 3 if the EU refuse it?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well on economics the FN is very far from typical LR voters, they have embraced 'red UKIP' for a long time now. Already against Fillon they are playing the 'he's a heartless capitalist, supports globalisation' card.

If Le Pen wins it will be through left wing voters failing to support Fillon (i'm not sure how many would actively vote for her and how many would just abstain). I think Le Pen has a good chance against Fillon. If she can paint him as basically 'as bad' as her on Islam etc, while being 'thatcherite' on economics, what left wing voter is going to turn out to help Fillon? The difference with the presidential is that it's not generic FN vs other candidate. People will compare the two individuals more than the two parties (incidentally this is why I think if she did win the presidential the FN would still fail to do very well in the parliamentary elections soon after).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Would anyone like to do a spread bet with me on France? Clearly, there is a substantial minority of people on here that think Marine Le Pen is likely to win. The betting markets have her as a 25% chance.

What I'd like to do is a sell at 42.5% of the Second Round vote (i.e. a 15% victory for her opponent), and I'd like to get about GBP1,000 a percent, divided up by as many people who are comfortable playing.

I reckon my 42.5% is probably generous compared to what's implied in the current 4.0 odds, and offers good upside to anyone who even thinks it's going to be close.

I don't think she'll win, but she might force Macron into unfavourable policy positions, such as a Frexit vote because the race will be a lot closer than people realise, even 42.5% for FN in a national election would be a huge result. That's only ~4% off what Trump scored in the US.
  • Options
    Dreadful photo of Blair, makes him looks as though he has jaundice.
  • Options
    Note Mike is one of the twitter heads there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

If France voted to leave the EU then the project is finished. They might as well just dissolve it and fall back to EFTA.
    France under Le Pen wouldn't go to EFTA, they would go full on protectionist.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think she'll win, but she might force Macron into unfavourable policy positions, such as a Frexit vote because the race will be a lot closer than people realise, even 42.5% for FN in a national election would be a huge result. That's only ~4% off what Trump scored in the US.
    I think that the FN will score in the low 30s, I want to make some money.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Phew at least my error was below the line here, not first tweet in a buzzfeed fake news story.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2016
    Edit: beaten to it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I do wonder whether markets (and commenters on here) have overreacted to Trump and Brexit. While MLP certainly has a chance of winning, 3/1 strikes me as a good deal too short given the FN's transfer-unfriendliness.

That said, I think your 42.5% is probably well-pitched given the range of potential candidates in the second round and the scope for 'events' to intercede.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

France under Le Pen wouldn't go to EFTA, they would go full on protectionist.
    Yes, of course. But under Macron who, like Dave, could be forced into offering a referendum on order to win the election, the EU would dissolve and fall back to EFTA minus free movement.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I do wonder whether markets (and commenters on here) have overreacted to Trump and Brexit. While MLP certainly has a chance of winning, 3/1 strikes me as a good deal too short given the FN's transfer-unfriendliness.

That said, I think your 42.5% is probably well-pitched given the range of potential candidates in the second round and the scope for 'events' to intercede.
    His pitch of 42.5% implies Robert thinks it should be 35% at most :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I think mid-30s vs Fillon and low 40s vs Macron, but she'll force a Frexit vote from Macron which Fillon won't have to give.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

The ball would be back in the EU's court. This could happen anyway with any potential referendum 2. My argument is that an AV vote would be the easiest way to get a reasonable deal passed.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

Tony shouldn't worry about the treason stuff, it's only the same halfwits saying it whose first comment when Jo Cox was attacked was to ask if her attacker had a beard

He shouldn't be put in prison for treason... But he should be arrested and put on trial for his potentially illegal war.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    MaxPB said:

Yes, of course. But under Macron who, like Dave, could be forced into offering a referendum on order to win the election, the EU would dissolve and fall back to EFTA minus free movement.

Any possible referendum in France would *not* be in/out but about the nature of some aspect of the EU (to be decided). That's one thing Segolene Royal was right about when she commented shortly after our vote.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well on economics the FN is very far from typical LR voters, they have embraced 'red UKIP' for a long time now. Already against Fillon they are playing the 'he's a heartless capitalist, supports globalisation' card.

If Le Pen wins it will be through left wing voters failing to support Fillon (i'm not sure how many would actively vote for her and how many would just abstain). I think Le Pen has a good chance against Fillon. If she can paint him as basically 'as bad' as her on Islam etc, while being 'thatcherite' on economics, what left wing voter is going to turn out to help Fillon? The difference with the presidential is that it's not generic FN vs other candidate. People will compare the two individuals more than the two parties (incidentally this is why I think if she did win the presidential the FN would still fail to do very well in the parliamentary elections soon after).
    As it happens, I'm mostly on Macron - simply because I think 20-1 will become 8-1 between now and the election (unless, which would staggered me), Juppe won on Sunday.

Marine Le Pen will get around 30% in the first round, or maybe a little less given that the FN tends to underperform relative to its poll scores.

Here's the thing, Fillon doesn't need to rely on getting any of the Socialist or Left Front voters (even though those people voted LR/UMP in run offs in 2015), the Macron and Bayrou voters alone will send him well above Le Pen.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I think mid-30s vs Fillon and low 40s vs Macron, but she'll force a Frexit vote from Macron which Fillon won't have to give.
    I think she's more likely to force a 'renegotiation' promise out of Macron :)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Any possible referendum in France would *not* be in/out but about the nature of some aspect of the EU (to be decided). That's one thing Segolene Royal was right about when she commented shortly after our vote.
    You hope. I have to say you're an odd sort of person, you support the EU, Le Pen, Trump and Putin. One of those doesn't go with the other three, unless you're a signed up member of the EUSSR club, and view it as a positive.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

The ball would be back in the EU's court. This could happen anyway with any potential referendum 2. My argument is that an AV vote would be the easiest way to get a reasonable deal passed.
    BIT of a dogs dinner then wouldn't.

UK: We want to leave
    EU: OK, leave
    UK: Eerrr can we stay instead
    EU: No

Then what?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    I wonder whether Obama will come on for an encore of the Obama effect.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You hope. I have to say you're an odd sort of person, you support the EU, Le Pen, Trump and Putin. One of those doesn't go with the other three, unless you're a signed up member of the EUSSR club, and view it as a positive.
    I do not support Le Pen in the slightest, but I do feel that many on here are misunderstanding her by seeing her through the lens of British politics.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think it's not inconceivable that Le Pen, Macron and Fillon all end up in the mid 20s, given the FN's habit of underperforming its poll ratings.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

It'd be even huger if she did deliver a Frexit vote. Remember that France-the-people is a good deal less enamoured with the EU than France-the-enarquate. They only barely ratified Maastricht and put the bullet in the European Constitution. Simply holding the vote would be an enormous anti-integrationist step but there's a half-decent chance that it would pass.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    We follow the lead of Sir Winston Churchill and merge with France.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    GIN1138 said:

He shouldn't be put in prison for treason... But he should be arrested and put on trial for his potentially illegal war.
    What part(s) of the Chilcott report are you basing that on?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

If that's all Macron gives then it could be mid 40s for Le Pen. With no promise of any kind I'd put it at TCTC. It wasn't until I spoke to a few friends from France that I realised just how much anger there is in France wrt to the EU and Euro and my colleague who has gone from raging EUphile to sceptic over the last two years.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    It is unlikely it would be an outright No. More likely we'd become another candidate country. As I said. Long way between here and then. 5 months since the vote. At the least 52 months till we leave.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

His pitch of 42.5% implies Robert thinks it should be 35% at most :D
    Yes, and against Juppe it probably would be. But there's no guarantee that it will be him. After last week, anything could happen.

(As an aside, the polling for the Republicans primary ought to go down as another shocker).
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Umm. This feels like yet another pointless learn-nothing arguefest.

I'm off to watch Netflix instead. Have fun bickering.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    It is unlikely it would be an outright No. More likely we'd become another candidate country.
    So we'd have to join the Euro? good luck selling that.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The whole Brexit thing is like a gross miscarriage of justice...we all know that we have done the wrong thing (unless you are a loony), and yet the countdown to the execution continues.

Major- the tyranny of the majority. Good old John...I love it....
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    PlatoSaid said:

I'd recommend going through all the box sets/ and movies Plato before you return...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

If that's all Macron gives then it could be mid 40s for Le Pen. With no promise of any kind I'd put it at TCTC. It wasn't until I spoke to a few friends from France that I realised just how much anger there is in France wrt to the EU and Euro and my colleague who has gone from raging EUphile to sceptic over the last two years.
    The Euro especially seems unpopular - I was surprised i'll admit (speaking as a remainer) talking to my girlfriend's family, and to colleagues, after the Brexit vote, at how many of them were against the Euro, and quite sympathetic to the idea of leaving. Someone else mentioned upthread the difference between elite France's pro-europeanism, and actual France's euroscepticism. Probably the biggest gulf among any member state.
  • Options
    Thread - as boring as episode 2 of the grand tour.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Welcome. Any AV proposal will always get a warm hearing on here.
    Yep, hellish warm
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He should have been impeached for misleading parliament into war but the time for legal action has passed. Saying that the war was 'illegal' on Twitter or Facebook (or here) is hardly the same as it actually being illegal. UNSCR 687 gave ample scope, for example, to take action.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    You mean Edward III surely?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    PlatoSaid said:

The voice of alt-PB has spoken!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The Euro especially seems unpopular - I was surprised i'll admit (speaking as a remainer) talking to my girlfriend's family, and to colleagues, after the Brexit vote, at how many of them were against the Euro, and quite sympathetic to the idea of leaving. Someone else mentioned upthread the difference between elite France's pro-europeanism, and actual France's euroscepticism. Probably the biggest gulf among any member state.
    Indeed, which is why I think a Le Pen campaign based on Frexit and battering the elites with a message by voting for Marine (not FN or Le Pen, "Marine") would force a Frexit concession out of Macron, but not Fillon who isn't particularly establishment himself at least not like Juppé or Macron.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    Henry V (and heirs and successors)?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    It is unlikely it would be an outright No. More likely we'd become another candidate country.
    So we'd have to join the Euro? good luck selling that.
    I'm not arguing FOR that. I was pointing out a possible way to get a "softish" Brexit past the irreconcilables!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    tell me more.. why?

• Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    Him too, of course.

It just occurred to me also that if it hadn't been for Bloody Mary, we wouldn't have any argument over where the put the border.
  • Options

They overscripted the whole training camp thing. Should've given them BB guns/paintball guns, and actually watch them try and complete the mission.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    edited November 2016
    @JosiasJessop

Diverting asteroids and comets into Mars would be much cheaper and easier than other methods; if you plan it right you don't need much delta-V.

I used to believe that as well, until somebody pointed out that to change an asteroid's orbit involves a shitload of delta-v. If you want to send them to Mars you have to change its existing orbit to a rather odd looking one (think spirograph, if you remember them) that intersects with Mars, and that is a ginormous delta-v. Asteroids are in a stable orbit: you can't just nudge them and they go "Woo-hoo! Let's dive towards the Sun!" You need a very big and sustained push. And before you ask, letting off nukes on the surface won't be enough.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    We should have made sure part of the post World War II settlement was to make sure the French honoured the Treaty of Troyes.
  • Options
    Is it just me, but beyond the age difference, doesn't Blair in that picture look like Judge Rinder?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited November 2016
    More from Brendan

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/fake-news-and-post-truth-the-handmaidens-of-western-relativism/19035#.WDhD9p-nxTd

"Then came the paternalistic solutions. We need new ‘gatekeepers’, columnists claim: professionals who have the resources and brains to work out what’s true and what’s a lie and ensure that people see more of the former. Obama and others suggest Facebook must get better at curating news, sorting truth from falsehood on behalf of its suggestible users. The suggestion is that the internet, having thrown open the world of reportage and commentary to everyone, having enabled anyone with a computer or phone to say their piece, has disoriented truth and democracy and now must be tamed, or at least better managed.

This echoes the elite fears that greeted the invention of the printing press in the 15th century. Then, the religious authorities – the gatekeepers of their day – worried that all sorts of heresy might now find its way into the public’s minds and hearts, unfiltered by their wise, godly counsel. Today’s aspiring gatekeepers panic that fake news will get into and warp the minds of the little people in this era when knowledge filtering has been stripped back even further, so that increasingly the citizen stands alone before the claims and counter-claims of those who publish. And apparently this fake news often contains heresies of its own. In his interview with the New Yorker, Obama strikingly bemoaned the ‘fake news’ of climate-change scepticism, where ‘an explanation of climate change from a Nobel Prize-winning physicist looks exactly the same on your Facebook page as the denial of climate change by somebody on the Koch brothers’ payroll’...
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    tyson said:

The whole Brexit thing is like a gross miscarriage of justice...we all know that we have done the wrong thing (unless you are a loony), and yet the countdown to the execution continues.

No we haven't, and although I have my faults, I wouldn't class myself as "loony".
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited November 2016

GIN1138 said:

Chilcott didn't judge on the legality or otherwise of the war (though he did say the legal "basis" was "far from satisfactory")

And I didn't say the way WAS illegal, I said it was *potentially* illegal, meaning that the case should be tested.

Maybe it was legal... I'm not a legal expert so I'm qualified to judge, but there are certainly enough questions to make a trial worthwhile (not that it'll happen) in my opinion.

That has been my view since 2004 and will always be my view.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    Him too, of course.

It just occurred to me also that if it hadn't been for Bloody Mary, we wouldn't have any argument over where the put the border.
    There were plenty of incompetent Stuarts who followed (indirectly) an incompetent Tudor.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @PlatoSays @Pulpstar FPT

you seem to have misunderstood me.

I'm simply saying that if people receive a windfall (ignoring the demographic factors that @SouthamObserver rightly pointed out) then they are more likely to move in search of a better life as wealth may unlock opportunities that weren't previously available.

I don't believe depopulation of villages and continued urbanisation is in the best interest of existing rural communities.

Drawing a distinction between the best interests of a community and the best interests of the individuals that comprise it is not sneering or snobbery.

(Although it does run counter to the views of your heroine when she said (I paraphrase from memory) "there is no such thing as society. There are just the individuals who comprise it".)

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Chilcott didn't judge on the legality or otherwise of the war (though he did say the legal "basis" was "far from satisfactory)

And I didn't say the way WAS illegal, I said it was potentially illegal, meaning that the case should be tested.

Maybe it was legal... I'm not a legal expert, but there are certainly enough questions to make a trial worthwhile (not that it'll happen) in my opinion.

That has been my view since 2004 and will always be my view.
    I disagree that it was illegal, but thankfully my point doesn't revolve around that.

You can't have a trial for something that *might* be illegal. There has to be a charge, otherwise we're in Constable Savage territory.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@JosiasJessop

Diverting asteroids and comets into Mars would be much cheaper and easier than other methods; if you plan it right you don't need much delta-V.

I used to believe that as well, until somebody pointed out that to change an asteroid's orbit involves a shitload of delta-v. If you want to send them to Mars you have to change its existing orbit to a rather odd looking one (think spirograph, if you remember them) that intersects with Mars, and that is a ginormous delta-v. Asteroids are in a stable orbit: you can't just nudge them and they go "Woo-hoo! Let's dive towards the Sun!" You need a very big and sustained push. And before you ask, letting off nukes on the surface won't be enough.
    Ah, thanks. Is that true for even asteroids with Mars-crossing orbits?

I made the point about nukes on asteroids on here a couple of weeks ago. ;)
  • Options
    While its a bit long and it probably has holes in it you could sail a dreadnought through, I like the thrust of that Spiked article.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    Him too, of course.

There were plenty of incompetent Stuarts who followed (indirectly) an incompetent Tudor.
    I agree (though I think the Stuarts are generally underrated). I was just being flippant, as usual!
  • Options
    I see @MaxPB has called my a Traitor. I think this particularly word goes beyond PB rough and tumble and needs challenging. It's really very simple. We're a Democracy. They'll be approx. 2 years 9 months between the Referendum result and us finally leaving the EU. What ever the legalities for practical purposes it will be possible not to leave right up to the point we actually do leave. The referendum result was decisive but quite close. It's possible voters will change their minds before we leave. If they do the democratic thing would be not to leave. If they don't we should and I don't don't we will leave. Indeed we are leaving. Numerous processes are already in train.

In a Democracy campaigning to change minds isn't traitorous it's the essence of democracy.

@MaxPB is clearly very clever so his repeated falsehoods about our Rebate and how the Commission President is appointment seems to be lies rather than errors. Perhaps his desire to label political opponents Traitors is part of this pathology.

Or it may simply be that like so many Brexiters he is rattled. After the Brexit Devaluation, the Sovereign Rating downgrade, the emergency money printing and interest cut, the abandonment of the deficit target , the growth downgrades, the secret comfort letter to Nissan and the OBR and IFS assessments all does not look well. The polls show an essential standstill. The direct costs of Brexit to HMG have already hit £500m.

In my view one of ths is enough - yet - to stop Brexit. But the policy vacuum, the Briefing from our negotiating opponents, the perceptible sense of drift...

I am understand exactly why some Brexiters think this could slip from their fingers. But the response to that is to address what's going wrong and face up to how Leave won whch is what the results legitimacy rests on.

Handing out verbal abuse will get you no where. Tick Tock.
  • Options

I see @MaxPB has called my a Traitor. I think this particularly word goes beyond PB rough and tumble and needs challenging. It's really very simple. We're a Democracy. They'll be approx. 2 years 9 months between the Referendum result and us finally leaving the EU. What ever the legalities for practical purposes it will be possible not to leave right up to the point we actually do leave. The referendum result was decisive but quite close. It's possible voters will change their minds before we leave. If they do the democratic thing would be not to leave. If they don't we should and I don't don't we will leave. Indeed we are leaving. Numerous processes are already in train.

In a Democracy campaigning to change minds isn't traitorous it's the essence of democracy.

@MaxPB is clearly very clever so his repeated falsehoods about our Rebate and how the Commission President is appointment seems to be lies rather than errors. Perhaps his desire to label political opponents Traitors is part of this pathology.

Or it may simply be that like so many Brexiters he is rattled. After the Brexit Devaluation, the Sovereign Rating downgrade, the emergency money printing and interest cut, the abandonment of the deficit target , the growth downgrades, the secret comfort letter to Nissan and the OBR and IFS assessments all does not look well. The polls show an essential standstill. The direct costs of Brexit to HMG have already hit £500m.

In my view one of ths is enough - yet - to stop Brexit. But the policy vacuum, the Briefing from our negotiating opponents, the perceptible sense of drift...

I am understand exactly why some Brexiters think this could slip from their fingers. But the response to that is to address what's going wrong and face up to how Leave won whch is what the results legitimacy rests on.

"Perhaps his desire to label political opponents Traitors is part of this pathology."
    Like I said earlier MaxPB is Donald Trump (or at least has bought his book ;-))
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tyson said:

Good old tyson,still insulting people here while living the high life abroad.

Get use to it,we are leaving.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

MaxPB said:

This is all a bit anecdotal. Comparative polls in a series of countries have shown a marked shift to pro-EU sentiment since Brexit, as people recoil from the mess. I've not seen any lately from France, though - in general French polls seems few and far between - so I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some more hard data.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Final result from last night
    Basingstoke Tadley South Con hold 13% swing Con to LD
    Con 456
    LD 342
    Lab 88
    UKIP 41

Vote share for all November by elections with change from last time fought

Con 37.9% plus 4.9%
    Lab 26.2% plus 0.6%
    LDem 17.6% plus 5.1%
    UKIP 4.5% minus 5.6%
    Green 3.3% minus 4.7%
    Nats 9.0% plus 2.4%
    Others 1.6% minus 2.7%
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    edited November 2016

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

2 WTO (hard Brexit).
    3 Negotiate to stay in.

Then what?
    The whole Brexit thing's a dog's dinner. Option (3) wouldn't be "negotiate to stay in", It would be "continue with EU membership on current terms". If the EU doesn't agree, fall back to the second choice: (1) deal as negotiated or (2) hard Brexit.

It could work but I'm not sure what problem this second referendum would be solving. Presumably we are hoping for "(1) negotiated terms" that are better than both (3) continued membership of the EU and the (2) no deal default.

If we decide that the (1) negotiated terms are worse than (3) EU membership, the first referendum is moot and it would be simpler to run the question again, "Do you wish to remain in the EU?".

If we decide the (1) negotiated terms are even worse than (2) no deal, but still better than (3) EU membership, option (2), becomes option (1), our preferred exit choice.
  • Options

Con 456
    LD 342
    Lab 88
    UKIP 41

Con 37.9% plus 4.9%
    Lab 26.2% plus 0.6%
    LDem 17.6% plus 5.1%
    UKIP 4.5% minus 5.6%
    Green 3.3% minus 4.7%
    Nats 9.0% plus 2.4%
    Others 1.6% minus 2.7%

Cons up a surprising amount and the greens down, strong LDs as expected and poor UKIP again as expected.
  • Options

Con 456
    LD 342
    Lab 88
    UKIP 41

Con 37.9% plus 4.9%
    Lab 26.2% plus 0.6%
    LDem 17.6% plus 5.1%
    UKIP 4.5% minus 5.6%
    Green 3.3% minus 4.7%
    Nats 9.0% plus 2.4%
    Others 1.6% minus 2.7%

UKIP continue downward trend and Libdems revival continues. The surprise is an uptick in the Tories share. Might be luck of the draw in seats becoming vacant.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MaxPB said:

This is all a bit anecdotal. Comparative polls in a series of countries have shown a marked shift to pro-EU sentiment since Brexit, as people recoil from the mess. I've not seen any lately from France, though - in general French polls seems few and far between - so I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some more hard data.
    Mess?.. you mean the "mess" created by the EU and successive UK Govts in forcing legislation down the nation's throats without any serious consultation. Eventually something had to give and the Nation told the EU to F OFF, and not altogether surprisingly really.

The mess if there is one is the one the EU is in. Once one nation tells the EU to F OFF, others might well follow..
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Common sense stays we should be in the E U. The hearts of some may say No. The Government is probably hoping to find a way to stay in. Economic bad news, however presented, is its best bet, they seem to have made a start on that this week.
  • Options

You want to block the democratic will of the people in the unelected chamber. That seems like the behaviour of someone who has the interests of the EU rather than the UK in mind. You have previously called yourself a commited EUphile. You support the EU, not this country. Overthrowing a democratic decision with the votes of unelected Lords is traitorous. I note that most other remainers aren't in favour of blocking Brexit like you are.

On the rebate, I was mistaken. Hands up.
  • Options

viewcode said:

@JosiasJessop

Ah, thanks. Is that true for even asteroids with Mars-crossing orbits?

I made the point about nukes on asteroids on here a couple of weeks ago. ;)
    Here's something I just found from Dr Zubrin:

Orbital transfer of very massive bodies from the outer solar system can be accomplished using nuclear thermal rocket engines using the asteroid's volatile material as propellant. Using major planets for gravity assists, the rocket DV required to move an outer solar system asteroid onto a collision trajectory with Mars can be as little as 300 m/s. If the asteroid is made of NH3, specific impulses of about 400 s can be attained, and as little as 10% of the asteroid will be required for propellant. Four 5000 MWt NTR engines would require a 10 year burn time to push a 10 billion tonne asteroid through a DV of 300 m/s. About 4 such objects would be sufficient to greenhouse Mars.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mfogg/zubrin.htm
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@JosiasJessop

As I intimated on the other thread, it may be possible to trade delta-V for journey duration for some asteroids. By applying small nudges at the appropriate times, it should be possible to move an asteroid along the Interplanetary Transportation Network with relatively little force. The downside? It could take an awfully long time.
This discussion has been closed.