Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Positives for CON, UKIP and the LDs in Sleaford & Hykehem N bu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Positives for CON, UKIP and the LDs in Sleaford & Hykehem N but another bad by-election for LAB

"undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper&&(window.datawrapper={}),window.datawrapper["USpxP"]={},window.datawrapper["USpxP"].embedDeltas={"100":503.8,"200":421.8,"300":367.8,"400":367.8,"500":367.8,"600":340.8,"700":340.8,"800":340.8,"900":340.8,"1000":340.8},window.datawrapper["USpxP"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-USpxP"),window.datawrapper["USpxP"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["USpxP"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["USpxP"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])"USpxP"==b&&(window.datawrapper["USpxP"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px")});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited December 2016
    Another by election on Mrs May's watch where the Tory share of the vote falls.

Just look at how many Tory voters who stayed at home in the second chart.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    No change in Government majority in Commons.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    More MSM bias.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

It's a by election- the whole vote was down, as it always is. Your attempt to read anything particular into that is rather puzzling.
  • Options
    Lib Dem surge.
  • Options
    FPT: Mr. Eagles, that sounds a bit like the Assisted Places scheme that used to happen but which (I think) Labour abolished early on in their last period in office.
  • Options

Do you get paid to spin for George Osborne, or do you just do it for free?
  • Options

FPT: Mr. Eagles, that sounds a bit like the Assisted Places scheme that used to happen but which (I think) Labour abolished early on in their last period in office.

It does. I wonder if the Grammar school fans will support it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,666
    edited December 2016

Another by election on Mrs May's watch where the Tory share of the vote falls

Alternatively:

@MattSingh: Tory vote share down just 2.7 points. Last time they did better than that while in gov't was at Beaconsfield in 1982 (during Falklands war)

So during all Dave's PM by-elections, they did worse......
  • Options
    Strange. David Cameron is watching basketball with George W Bush. And he still looks like Prime Minister, which I assume is from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/806877247051354113
  • Options

I'm pointing out that the by election results are not consistent with polls showing the Tories 16% ahead.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

No, they were out working to increase the GDP this quarter.

The turnout is derisory, and makes any real conclusions impossible to draw. However, in any circumstances the Tory party in power getting 50% + can be represented as a good result.
  • Options

Alternatively:

@MattSingh: Tory vote share down just 2.7 points. Last time they did better than that while in gov't was at Beaconsfield in 1982 (during Falklands war)

DNFTT
  • Options

It's hilariously transparent...I fear TSE is TINO.......(unless the posh boys run it....)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Strange. David Cameron is watching basketball with George W Bush. And he still looks like Prime Minister, which I assume is from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/806877247051354113

Has Nicky Morgan popped up to criticise the cost of his suit?

“If we don’t address the concerns of those economically left behind, we open up our politics to the parties of the extreme left,” he said. And if we don’t address the concerns of those left culturally behind, we open up to the parties of the extreme right.”

Begs the question why did David Cameron walk off the political stage to avoid addressing these concerns.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europe/eu-policy-agenda/economic-affairs/news/81574/david-cameron-rise-populism-cost-me-my-job

Perhaps Cameron is hoping May fouls up and he could return at some point.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

No change in Government majority in Commons.

A disaster for May, obvs.......PM Osborne would have increased it!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,838

I'm pointing out that the by election results are not consistent with polls showing the Tories 16% ahead.
    They never are. It is very unusual for a governing party to put on support in a by election.

But, if there were an election today, the Tories would be looking at 350+ seats.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

This probably does actually. May should have run a soft-Brexit candidate in Richmond. I think she would have won through the middle now.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

A December bye-election where the result was already certain. A posher version of Boston without the same Leave enthusiasm.

No wonder it lacked interest.
  • Options

Alternatively:

Reckon she'll gain as many Tory MPs as Dave did ?

198: The number of Tory MPs when Dave became leader

331: The number of Tory MPs when Dave's tenure as leader ended
  • Options

Look at the private schools which took part in the Direct Grant Schemes, most were day schools few were boarding schools like Eton.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Alternatively:

Come on TSE, what's really eating you? You know you cannot compare the two on this basis, what is the the real issue?
  • Options
    @MJGoodwin: I suppose obsessing over possible clues in by-elections distracts from the FIFTY SEVEN pt favourability gap in Corbyn v May among over-65s!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2016
    It is possible to read too much into a December by-election in a safe seat. Nevertheless Labour should have been aiming for a solid second. Fourth is not ok.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Alternatively:

The number of Tory MPs could go down, if the boundary changes go through :grin:
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    philiph said:

The turnout is derisory, and makes any real conclusions impossible to draw. However, in any circumstances the Tory party in power getting 50% + can be represented as a good result.
    Amazing lack of media brouhaha over this result compared to metropolitan Richmond I wonder why that is lol. And after 3 by-elections in Tory seats we are left with two MPs supporting a clean Brexit and one apparently easily tongue tied LD referendum denier compared to one self regarding maverick, one remain inclined ex PM and an MP apparently suffering some sort of crisis of conscience. I'm not sure Mrs May is going to be particularly unhappy as she looks back at the overall outcome.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2016

Safe seat by election.

Your hostility to the PM is affecting your analysis, and not for the better
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    I like the graph - a TERRRRRIBLE night for the Conservatives!

Seriously, if all Labour can say is that we are been squeezed between the party of Leave and the party of Remain, it suggest we have learnt nothing from our Scottish wipe-out. We could get a total hammering in next May's locals. Hopefully by 2020, with Brexit a done deal, voters will refocus on other issues.
  • Options
    TSE, you are beginning to sound like Ted Heath.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

I like the graph - a TERRRRRIBLE night for the Conservatives!

Seriously, if all Labour can say is that we are been squeezed between the party of Leave and the party of Remain, it suggest we have learnt nothing from our Scottish wipe-out. We could get a total hammering in next May's locals. Hopefully by 2020, with Brexit a done deal, voters will refocus on other issues.

The situation is potentially worse than Scotland. This time the squeeze is still happening despite the referendum going against the status quo, and it's hitting Labour from both sides so there's nowhere to hide. Labour will get fewer seats than Hague in 2001. Maybe a lot fewer.
  • Options

Ted Heath was the finest PM we've ever had.

He took Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire. No finer achievement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Norm said:

philiph said:

Amazing lack of media brouhaha over this result compared to metropolitan Richmond I wonder why that is lol. And after 3 by-elections in Tory seats we are left with two MPs supporting a clean Brexit and one apparently easily tongue tied LD referendum denier compared to one self regarding maverick, one remain inclined ex PM and an MP apparently suffering some sort of crisis of conscience. I'm not sure Mrs May is going to be particularly unhappy as she looks back at the overall outcome.
    There has been no media brouhaha because Conservatives hold safe seat is not a story.

There would (similarly) be no story if Alistair Carmichael had a heart attack and the LDs were defending Orkney & Shetland. Or if it was a safe Labour seat held comfortably.

Things changing, or potentially changing, sell newspapers (or pageviews). Things not expected to change, and then not changing, do not.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

There has been no media brouhaha because Conservatives hold safe seat is not a story.

There would (similarly) be no story if Alistair Carmichael had a heart attack and the LDs were defending Orkney & Shetland. Or if it was a safe Labour seat held comfortably.

Things changing, or potentially changing, sell newspapers (or pageviews). Things not expected to change, and then not changing, do not.
    Nah. Much simpler.

Newspaper budgets don't stretch to a train ticket that far north these days. Oxfordshire they do on their own time at weekends, and Richmond is just a tube ride.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Good result:
    8/10 Tories. Derisory turnout and losing plenty of votes prevents a 9 or 10.
    7/10 Lib Dems. Gained votes in a difficult area with a poor turnout..

Middling result
    5/10 UKIP. No inroads made to the Tories, not that great a result in all honesty.

Poor result
    2/10 Labour. Not as bad a vote share as some had forecast.
  • Options

If only he had taken Telford out of Shropshire :-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    A bit meh all round IMO. OK result for Tories in second year of Parliament but vote share down a bit. Not good for UKIP, vote share down in a strong Leave here. OK for LDs but sugests little post-Richmond bump. Not good for Labour but avoiding the embarassmrent of early predictions (losing deposit, coming 5th). It basically turned into the question of who could get postal votes out best, and the Tories were clearly best at that.

Incidentally, the vote column of the header is format as if it were %s (two significant places) and the last column on votes is cut off.
  • Options

This one is.
  • Options
    Not much to see here, really. The Conservatives will be pleased that their vote share remained almost unchanged, a good result in a by-election when in government, but against weak opposition in a safe seat it doesn't signify very much. UKIP should have done better given that this is a by-election, but it's an OK result for them as far as it goes. The LibDems recovered quite well from their 2015 nadir, but not sufficiently well to signify any kind of breakthrough. Labour did poorly, but that's not too unusual in by-election in a safe Conservative seat, especially given that the non-Conservative vote was split fairly evenly four ways.
  • Options

Boro is, and always will be, A Small Town in Yorkshire!

Interestingly, Barnoldswick, which was also re-countied in 1974, still has a Yorkshire flag flying proudly in the town centre.
  • Options

A bit meh all round IMO. OK result for Tories in second year of Parliament but vote share down a bit. Not good for UKIP, vote share down in a strong Leave here. OK for LDs but sugests little post-Richmond bump. Not good for Labour but avoiding the embarassmrent of early predictions (losing deposit, coming 5th). It basically turned into the question of who could get postal votes out best, and the Tories were clearly best at that.

Incidentally, the vote column of the header is format as if it were %s (two significant places) and the last column on votes is cut off.

It's a superb result for the Tories (understandably, given Brexit) and a diabolical one for Labour (understandably, given Brexit & Corbyn).
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

Nah. Much simpler.

Newspaper budgets don't stretch to a train ticket that far north these days. Oxfordshire they do on their own time at weekends, and Richmond is just a tube ride.
    I was going to make a comment about distance from Portland Place... You are surely right.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

Nah. Much simpler.

I thought all the media actually lived in Richmond these days
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

@MJGoodwin: I suppose obsessing over possible clues in by-elections distracts from the FIFTY SEVEN pt favourability gap in Corbyn v May among over-65s!

Some of them will be dead before the next election. I am 61.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    surbiton said:

But their numbers are being topped up as the population ages.... Death is not enough to save Labour..
  • Options
    surbiton said:

...and some in the 60-65 cohort will join the 65+ cohort...remember the facts of life are conservative and people get wiser as they get older...
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

Nah. Much simpler.

Sure, but they expense the price of a tube ticket anyway :lol:
  • Options

Given the current 'investigations' around him, you sure about that?
  • Options
    Clearly a big swing from LEAVE to REMAIN.
  • Options

And, past aborted "investigations".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Pulpstar said:

Good result:

Middling result
    5/10 UKIP. No inroads made to the Tories, not that great a result in all honesty.

Poor result

LibDems only found an extra 106 voters willing to put their heads above the parapet since 2015.... Real winner was the Can't Be Arsed Party. December is a particularly good month for them.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The Labour candidate supported Brexit, having supported Remain. So, no.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

surbiton said:

...and some in the 60-65 cohort will join the 65+ cohort...remember the facts of life are conservative and people get wiser as they get older...
    People get more selfish as they get older !
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

Nah. Much simpler.

No, they couldn't afford it !
  • Options

surbiton said:

Sounds like a good move to be more in tune with the voters. How did he do again?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

An average 65 year old female has two decades ahead of her......a chap around two years less.....so she'll still be voting in 2030......and a good number in 2035......
  • Options

surbiton said:

Who TF is talking about the Labour candidate ? The LD candidate was pro REMAIN. They are now the talk of the town.
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

Nah. Much simpler.

The media can't afford to live in Richmond. You'd be hard pressed to find a three bedroom semi below £1.5m there.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

bearing in mind the number of postal votes, maybe 1/6 of the electorate bothered to vote on the day. Apathy rules OK!
  • Options
    Shocking performance by Bus Pass Elvis. Last. Is it the end for the party?
  • Options
    Have we done the PISA results for 2015?

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/PISA-2015-United-Kingdom.pdf

• Options

surbiton said:

Sounds like a good move to be more in tune with the voters. How did he do again?
    Momentum will blame the mass resignation of the Shad Cab in the summer for Labour's poor performance.

Maybe if we had fielded a PPE latte-sipper parachuted in from Islington we would have done better. (He says, while drinking a latte!)
  • Options

Shocking performance by Bus Pass Elvis. Last. Is it the end for the party?

A victory for the Militant Elvis Anti-Tesco Popular Front wing of the party... :)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Perhaps they weren't too happy about changing their Audis BMWs and Porsches for second hand Camels
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    surbiton said:

Patrick said:

surbiton said:

and sadly more suffer from dementia and Alzheimers symptoms of which may include a tendency to vote Conservative and UKIP
  • Options
    It's an astonishingly good result for the Conservatives. An unnecessary by-election caused by a sitting MP resigning in a huff over 6 years into a government. A tiny drop in vote share and a swing away from the principal opposition party. And the opposition vote didn't coalesce behind a single challenger . Voters know how to use By-elections and FPTP when they are angry. They weren't angry.

I still think we're in the Brown Bounce stage of May's premiership never the less the hard data from this byelection is very impressive from the Tories.
  • Options

surbiton said:

He was outflanked by people who actually believed in it.
    https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/807153917855494144
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    dr_spyn said:

Look at the private schools which took part in the Direct Grant Schemes, most were day schools few were boarding schools like Eton.
    On the subject of poor kids at schools:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38251413&ved=0ahUKEwiDk5_37ubQAhXFWCwKHT37CZoQqUMIZTAE&usg=AFQjCNEmYGq_yow64vfOOpxeonICJJK0VQ&sig2=YTAoZTPKLWlEVRPZSLFWZQ
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

The LD candidate was pro REMAIN. They are now the talk of the town.
    On 11% of the votes?

The denial is strong in this one.......
  • Options

It's an astonishingly good result for the Conservatives. An unnecessary by-election caused by a sitting MP resigning in a huff over 6 years into a government. A tiny drop in vote share and a swing away from the principal opposition party. And the opposition vote didn't coalesce behind a single challenger . Voters know how to use By-elections and FPTP when they are angry. They weren't angry.

I still think we're in the Brown Bounce stage of May's premiership never the less the hard data from this byelection is very impressive from the Tories.

The contrast between this by-election and Witney and Richmond Park is very striking. The Leave shires are happy. The prosperous south is potentially more mutinous.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, some say Labour can't go on together, with suspicious minds.
  • Options

TSE has very poor taste in Conservative Leaders.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    edited December 2016

Mr. Borough, some say Labour can't go on together, with suspicious minds.

:lol:
  • Options

I am comfortable that influential Labour people such as yourself regard the Labour performance at recent by elections as of little relevance.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Good morning, everyone.

Looks like a clear blue win with the rest all quite similar (although 2nd for UKIP and 4th for Labour may have morale-altering effects on those parties).

Edited extra bit: are the media portraying this as a victory for those who want a 'hard' departure from the EU? Just curious.

The media seem to be just reporting the facts without analysis, which probably means that

1. The result doesn't fit into any pre-existing media narrative, and/or
    2. They haven't decided what it means.
    Or that there isn't anything interesting to say about it. A safe Tory seat was retained easily and the other insignificant parties jockeyed slightly for third and fourth place. Even the BBC who normally reckon to report seriously on political results have the by-election well down their bulletin board.
    But there is quite a bit of interest to say about it.

It was the best Tory by-election performance while in govt since 1989, 1982 or 1971 depending on your metric (respectively: most votes, biggest share, biggest majority/%age lead). That of itself has to be significant.

Other points to note:

- Labour going backwards having started second.
    - Lib Dem recovery continues (though nothing like on the same strength as Witney, which is more comparable than Richmond Park).
    - UKIP fail to make serious inroads into the substantial Leave vote - and notable that Nuttall was talking more about challenging Labour, during the radio interview I heard earlier.

But the big story is the top-line: a huge Con win. Unfortunately, this doesn't gel with the Richmond result or with the internal Con divisions over Europe. Is that as much about collective opposition weakness as Con strength? Probably. I suspect that a Miliband-led Labour would be ahead in the polls right now. But that of itself tells a story.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, by chance, I'm reading the early part of Livy's Rome and Italy. There's discord between the patricians and plebeians which is tearing politics apart.

I'll let you know how it ends :p
  • Options

Have we done the PISA results for 2015?

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/PISA-2015-United-Kingdom.pdf

Scotland & Wales dragging the UK down?
  • Options

The contrast between this by-election and Witney and Richmond Park is very striking. The Leave shires are happy. The prosperous south is potentially more mutinous.
    It's a case of Je ne bregret rien so far in the Leave shires.
  • Options

That might be over-egging the logical pudding. Richmond Park was not a straightforward contest; Zac was standing as an independent and had annoyed some people with what may have been seen as a vanity by-election. Plus it was a former LibDem stronghold, the LibDems threw the kitchen sink at it, and it was clear that the non-Zac vote should coalesce around them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Jonathan said:

It is possible to read too much into a December by-election in a safe seat. Nevertheless Labour should have been aiming for a solid second. Fourth is not ok.

Impossible to read too much into a by-election. Next thing you'll be saying you can read too much into subsamples!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited December 2016

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

surbiton said:

and sadly more suffer from dementia and Alzheimers symptoms of which may include a tendency to vote Conservative and UKIP
    If you ever get these awful problems I'll look back and think of this moment. There will be no pity, only a sense of justice. Dickhead.
  • Options
    Mr Herdson - which Miliband?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Good result:

Middling result

Poor result

LibDems only found an extra 106 voters willing to put their heads above the parapet since 2015.... Real winner was the Can't Be Arsed Party. December is a particularly good month for them.
    But as we're told when turnout is down you expect numbers to be down even if you maintain your percentage. Increasing real votes even when turnout is down is surely a good result at a by-election, albeit it was from a low position.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2016
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Who TF is talking about the Labour candidate ? The LD candidate was pro REMAIN. They are now the talk of the town.
    You must have been if you thought there was a swing from Leave to Remain.
  • Options
    V. interesting, although this has been coming for years. Back in 2007 I visited a mock-up shop in Germany which had the same type of technology, installed as a trial by, I think, SAP. The German system was using RFID tags, which at the time were individually too expensive to place on food stuff like beans which only cost 50p themselves. Looks like Amazon have done it another way, although not quite clear from article.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    surbiton said:

Really? You post like a 16 year old.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, by chance, I'm reading the early part of Livy's Rome and Italy. There's discord between the patricians and plebeians which is tearing politics apart.

I'll let you know how it ends :p

I'm 14% through your new book. It's not what I expected.
  • Options

That might be over-egging the logical pudding. Richmond Park was not a straightforward contest; Zac was standing as an independent and had annoyed some people with what may have been seen as a vanity by-election. Plus it was a former LibDem stronghold, the LibDems threw the kitchen sink at it, and it was clear that the non-Zac vote should coalesce around them.
    Sleaford was an optional by-election too. But the barometer didn't move when tapped. The other two showed 20% swings to the Lib Dems (and I'm not accepting that Zac Goldsmith was an independent; he had abundant numbers of Conservative MPs treading the streets for him). And you haven't explained the big swing in Witney.
  • Options

It's a case of Je ne bregret rien so far in the Leave shires.
    If the Leave shires are content with 6 months of prevaricating on Brexit and don't take the opportunity to vote UKIP to 'send a message', the real lesson might be that Theresa May doesn't need to worry about what kind of Brexit she gives them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984

FF43 said:

Good morning, everyone.

Looks like a clear blue win with the rest all quite similar (although 2nd for UKIP and 4th for Labour may have morale-altering effects on those parties).

Edited extra bit: are the media portraying this as a victory for those who want a 'hard' departure from the EU? Just curious.

The media seem to be just reporting the facts without analysis, which probably means that

1. The result doesn't fit into any pre-existing media narrative, and/or
    2. They haven't decided what it means.
    Or that there isn't anything interesting to say about it. A safe Tory seat was retained easily and the other insignificant parties jockeyed slightly for third and fourth place. Even the BBC who normally reckon to report seriously on political results have the by-election well down their bulletin board.
    But there is quite a bit of interest to say about it.

It was the best Tory by-election performance while in govt since 1989, 1982 or 1971 depending on your metric (respectively: most votes, biggest share, biggest majority/%age lead). That of itself has to be significant.

Other points to note:

- Labour going backwards having started second.
    - Lib Dem recovery continues (though nothing like on the same strength as Witney, which is more comparable than Richmond Park).
    - UKIP fail to make serious inroads into the substantial Leave vote - and notable that Nuttall was talking more about challenging Labour, during the radio interview I heard earlier.

But the big story is the top-line: a huge Con win. Unfortunately, this doesn't gel with the Richmond result or with the internal Con divisions over Europe. Is that as much about collective opposition weakness as Con strength? Probably. I suspect that a Miliband-led Labour would be ahead in the polls right now. But that of itself tells a story.
    Tory candidate was local, too, and fougfht a neighbouring seat in the GE, so would have been in the local press. Makes a difference, especially when they are in a reasonably well trusted profession. He husband is described in the Telegraph as a local farmer and businessman.
  • Options
    Mr. Senior, that's an uncalled for remark. Alzheimer's affects a huge number of people, both directly and those who care for them, and is a horrendous disease.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

surbiton said:

But their numbers are being topped up as the population ages.... Death is not enough to save Labour..
    It never ceases to amaze me that otherwise moderately intelligent people seem to believe that the age benefit for the Tories is temporary as the old die out more quickly.
  • Options
    From the PISA results:

The share of immigrant students in OECD countries increased from 9% in 2006 to 12% in 2015...

• In the United Kingdom, the proportion of students with an immigrant background increased from 9% in 2006 to 17% in 2015

So the OECD share of immigrant students increased by 33% - in the UK it nearly doubled.....
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Really? You post like a 16 year old.
    I think it would be amusing to compare peoples' perceived ages with their actual ages. For instance I tend to equate poshness with older, patrician types, so anyone who seems posh I mentally picture in their 60s, generally.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    I think there's a mini story developing in the by-elections, including the council ones. Safe Tory seats are staying solid. There's no trend. Presumably Conservative voters are happy both with Brexit and their party's handling of it. The situation in marginals is very fluid however. Labour doing well in some seats and not others. Ditto Lib Dems and UKIP.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

philiph said:

Nah. Much simpler.

The news papers must be in dire financial straights if that is the case.

I have a mate who lives in North Hyekham who I visit regularly. A first class, booked in advance, ticket from Hassocks to Newark (15 minute taxi ride away) costs me £42.80 each way, with free booze and lunch thrown in.

• Options

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

surbiton said:

You're full of seasonal good will this morning.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

surbiton said:

oooh - the nasty side of the LD comes out when they lose.
This discussion has been closed.