Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB/Polling Matters podcast on Brexit, Article 50 polling, Scot

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB/Polling Matters podcast on Brexit, Article 50 polling, Scotland and the return of GfK

After a momentous day in British politics, Keiran and Rob discuss public opinion on Brexit and  Keiran looks at Scotland’s future with Ipsos Mori Scotland Research Director Mark Diffley. Finally, Keiran talks more about the new GfK political polling that has Corbyn’s approval rating among Brits being as weak as Donald Trump’s. More on that polling (including methodology and data tables here).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    First. And back in Staffordshire after an enjoyable PB meet.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Boring quibble - I'd say the momentous day was in British government, not politics. The momentous day in politics was nine months ago. Today is the governmental implementation of that political decision, largely unchallenged (except by Professor Grayling) because we don't have a serious opposition.

I've often felt we should differentiate more between politics and government, though it is more difficult in the UK than the US, as we have much less of a separation of powers. Apart from anything else, they require different skills. Our system assumes that people who are good at one will be good at the other, but my experience working in government has been that many Ministers aren't talented in governing and indeed some aren't even that interested.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Fishing said:

Boring quibble - I'd say the momentous day was in British government, not politics. The momentous day in politics was nine months ago. Today is the governmental implementation of that political decision, largely unchallenged (except by Professor Grayling) because we don't have a serious opposition.

I've often felt we should differentiate more between politics and government, though it is more difficult in the UK than the US, as we have much less of a separation of powers. Apart from anything else, they require different skills. Our system assumes that people who are good at one will be good at the other, but my experience working in government has been that many Ministers aren't talented in governing and indeed some aren't even that interested.

Excellent post.

It's very telling that Andrew Adonis, who could have gone on to very many things both in wonkdom and beyond, found this politics-vs-government gulf so concerning that he poured his post-ministerial efforts into the Institute for Government.

I wonder if you are in any position to give an informed view of the effectiveness of that institute's work. Looking from the outside and from a great distance, they do seem to put out some quite interesting and clearly carefully thought-through material - whether it actually affects our governance in any meaningful way, I have no idea.
  • Options

I wonder if you are in any position to give an informed view of the effectiveness of that institute's work. Looking from the outside and from a great distance, they do seem to put out some quite interesting and clearly carefully thought-through material - whether it actually affects our governance in any meaningful way, I have no idea.

I am aware of the Institute's work, but I'd say it doesn't really affect day-to-day governance in my experience. (I should say that my experience of ministerial departments was mostly in the Blair/Brown years, so I am perhaps jaundiced by that - not even their greatest admirers like to discuss how they handled the government machine). Quite simply, civil servants are trained to defer to ministers in virtually every instance, unless something is impossible or illegal. This means that politics, in which ministers are trained, experienced, and usually highly skilled, will trump government (about which they too often know nothing) in any issue in which ministers take an interest and have strong opinions. And in the 99% of the department's work in which the ministers are not concerned, the opposite will be the case.

What should be done? I don't have a magic bullet, but here are some ideas:

- appoint ministers with some knowledge of, or experience in, the issues with which their department deals. With the exception of law officers, that is not generally done, e.g. we often have chancellors with no basic training in economcs. It is odd that you are supposed to have a degree, preferably a Master's in economics as the most junior economist in the Treasury, but not as the person who runs the whole thing. The same applies to other departments of course.
    - give all MPs, at least those that want to be ministers, some basic training in what government is and how it works, rather than letting them learn randomly on the job. Even a two-day course would make a great deal of difference.
    - civil servants should answer back more, and not treat ministers as Gods, though they should always accept the minister's final decision. The minister may have the democratic mandate, but they have the expertise.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    @Fishing

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

" Quite simply, civil servants are trained to defer to ministers in virtually every instance, unless something is impossible or illegal. ... civil servants should answer back more, and not treat ministers as Gods, though they should always accept the minister's final decision. The minister may have the democratic mandate, but they have the expertise."

Interesting how perspectives run. "My civil servants were too compliant" is rarely the regret of a former minister. Replace "compliant" with "obstructive", however...

But again, at this distance, I have no way of discerning either whether their complaints are genuine and heartfelt (must be nice to have big fat amorphous unloved civil service to blame for you not having met your promises) or even if it's genuine but a sign their expectations of how everything would work were skewed - did they unreasonably suppose they would be The Boss, able to dictate that X, Y and Z would all happen by tomorrow, before they got some more realistic feedback which they filed under "resistance" in their mental cabinet of grievances? Given how few ministers have experience of running large organisations of any sorts, let alone a country, this wouldn't entirely surprise me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    Trump Russia dossier key claim 'verified'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39435786

No no not that key claim...the less unsurprising one, that the Russian have spys in the US.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

@Fishing

Interesting how perspectives run. "My civil servants were too compliant" is rarely the regret of a former minister. Replace "compliant" with "obstructive", however...

Very true, and indeed Yes Minister got about four dozen episodes out of that one observation. But I think when they thought civil servants were being obstructive, it was generally because what they wanted wouldn't work, but they were too inexperienced or naive in what they were dealing with to understand. Most civil servants bent over backwards to fit in with their ministers. Ministers can often see the first order consequences of a policy, but none but the most exceptional (such as Nigel Lawson or Charles Clarke) will see or even try to see the second or third order consequences, yet these are often more significant. And on more than one occasion in my experience, ministers realised they had cause to be very grateful as they were prevented from doing something very silly, though of course they rarely admitted it in so many words.

@Fishing

But again, at this distance, I have no way of discerning either whether their complaints are genuine and heartfelt (must be nice to have big fat amorphous unloved civil service to blame for you not having met your promises) or even if it's genuine but a sign their expectations of how everything would work were skewed - did they unreasonably suppose they would be The Boss, able to dictate that X, Y and Z would all happen by tomorrow, before they got some more realistic feedback which they filed under "resistance" in their mental cabinet of grievances? Given how few ministers have experience of running large organisations of any sorts, let alone a country, this wouldn't entirely surprise me.

I'm sure most ministers have unreasonable expectations, and I'm not saying civil servants are without fault. Plenty of them are lazy, indifferent, stubborn or apathetic. Many (doubtless including me) aren't nearly as intelligent as they think they are. And lots don't have any expertise in the areas they deal with. Well, they're human. But most do have a modicum of experience in policy areas while many ministers don't, and most have some experience of translating wishes into reality, which few ministers do. And I think it would greatly help government in this country if all ministers realised that.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

There ain't gonna be an indyref2 until the early-mid 2020s. By then it may feel eerily irrelevant and feel utterly pointless. Bet accordingly.

Seconded!! The SNP juggernaut started to very slowly grind to a halt in late summer of 2015, check the SNP polling before and during the Holyrood election campaign.. I did and bet accordingly that the SNP would narrowly lose their majority. And then check out Nicola Sturgeon's personal poll ratings dive after she launched her personal summer campaign for another Indy Ref in the days following the EU Referendum result....

No one has done more to detoxify the Tory brand in Scotland in the last three decades, and with Jeremy Corbyn as the current UK Labour Leader that is some accolade!! You do not take your eye of your day job, leave a vacuum for a much needed strong Opposition and then ignore the voters when you have a formidable new Opponent as Leader of the main Opposition at Holyrood. Take it from me, Ruth Davidson will be FM.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

First. And back in Staffordshire after an enjoyable PB meet.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to it but I hope everyone had a good time.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    fitalass said:

No one has done more to detoxify the Tory brand in Scotland in the last three decades, and with Jeremy Corbyn as the current UK Labour Leader that is some accolade!! You do not take your eye of your day job, leave a vacuum for a much needed strong Opposition and then ignore the voters when you have a formidable new Opponent as Leader of the main Opposition at Holyrood. Take it from me, Ruth Davidson will be FM.

Interesting post. And of course if her success in Scotland translates to Westminster elections, even in only half a dozen seats, the Conservatives become still more dominant nationally and Labour's position is yet more hopeless.

Still a long way from that, of course.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The argument in the previous thread about security was funny. The idea that EU intelligence is worth more than precisely fuck all is hilarious. We could use French intelligence, but we have a bilateral security treaty with them already. Everyone else is a net beneficiary of UK intelligence. If we said goodbye nothing changes for UK citizens, but EU nations outside of France will suddenly have security agencies scrambling for new sources of intelligence without our networks.

It is absolutely a weapon in our arsenal, the PM should not be afraid to use it or to pull back our forces from the Eastern European border with immediate effect before they have the assets ready/built to replace the withdrawn units.

Like it or not, security, military and intelligence gathering is one of the key strengths of this nation. It is also an area where the EU nations outside of France are notoriously poor after decades of neglect and budget cuts.

If the EU wants to withold the benefits of the single market, that's entirely up to them, but in the same manner the benefits of our superior intelligence networks and military support are entirely within our remit to withold.

The PM was absolutely right to pair economic benefits of trade with security cooperation. I am sure the Eastern European nations, Germany and others have noticed. Hence the wailing of Remainers in this country who have suddenly realised that the UK hand isn't as weak as they were all hoping.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    MaxPB said:

The argument in the previous thread about security was funny. The idea that EU intelligence is worth more than precisely fuck all is hilarious. We could use French intelligence, but we have a bilateral security treaty with them already. Everyone else is a net beneficiary of UK intelligence. If we said goodbye nothing changes for UK citizens, but EU nations outside of France will suddenly have security agencies scrambling for new sources of intelligence without our networks.

It is absolutely a weapon in our arsenal, the PM should not be afraid to use it or to pull back our forces from the Eastern European border with immediate effect before they have the assets ready/built to replace the withdrawn units.

Like it or not, security, military and intelligence gathering is one of the key strengths of this nation. It is also an area where the EU nations outside of France are notoriously poor after decades of neglect and budget cuts.

If the EU wants to withold the benefits of the single market, that's entirely up to them, but in the same manner the benefits of our superior intelligence networks and military support are entirely within our remit to withold.

The PM was absolutely right to pair economic benefits of trade with security cooperation. I am sure the Eastern European nations, Germany and others have noticed. Hence the wailing of Remainers in this country who have suddenly realised that the UK hand isn't as weak as they were all hoping.

No UK Prime Minister will ever knowingly do anything to threaten the security of UK citizens. The idea that refusing to cooperate with intelligence agencies at the current level will not increase the potential threat to the UK's security is ridiculous. Willy-waving is all well and good for Sun headlines, but it is not a serious negotiating position.

• Options

MaxPB said:

No UK Prime Minister will ever knowingly do anything to threaten the security of UK citizens. The idea that refusing to cooperate with intelligence agencies at the current level will not increase the potential threat to the UK's security is ridiculous. Willy-waving is all well and good for Sun headlines, but it is not a serious negotiating position.

There is no additional threat. EU intelligence is worth fuck all to us. It always has been. We have a separate agreement with France and the rest are literally worthless, or sometimes worse than useless because they leak like a sieve (see the recent infiltration of German intelligence by Islamists).

It's not just a headline, it is a hard negotiation position that the PM is right to use. You might not like that decreasing the security of the continent is a useful card to play, but it is definitely within our remit to play it if they force our hand.
  • Options
    It is mind boggling that some people seriously seem to believe that the UK will actively help terrorist organisations and enemy powers in order to get one over long-time friends and allies in a trade negotiation.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It is units.

Like cuts.

If withold.

There is no additional threat. EU intelligence is worth fuck all to us. It always has been. We have a separate agreement with France and the rest are literally worthless, or sometimes worse than useless because they leak like a sieve (see the recent infiltration of German intelligence by Islamists).

It's not just a headline, it is a hard negotiation position that the PM is right to use. You might not like that decreasing the security of the continent is a useful card to play, but it is definitely within our remit to play it if they force our hand.

Sorry Max, there is no way on God's earth we are going to put lives in danger and aid and abet terrorist organisations in order to secure a better trade deal with the EU. If we are not helping European countries to fight terrorism we are helping the terrorist threat to grow. That affects us just as much as it affects anyone else. Whether willy-waving Leavers like it or not this is an interdependent, interconnected world in which what happens in one place can and does have a direct and terrible consequence somewhere else. No UK Prime Minister would ever knowingly increase the threat faced by UK citizens at home or abroad. That is the simple and absolute bottom line. All serious people know this.
  • Options

Sorry Max, there is no way on God's earth we are going to put lives in danger and aid and abet terrorist organisations in order to secure a better trade deal with the EU. If we are not helping European countries to fight terrorism we are helping the terrorist threat to grow. That affects us just as much as it affects anyone else. Whether willy-waving Leavers like it or not this is an interdependent, interconnected world in which what happens in one place can and does have a direct and terrible consequence somewhere else. No UK Prime Minister would ever knowingly increase the threat faced by UK citizens at home or abroad. That is the simple and absolute bottom line. All serious people know this.

We have the virtue of being an island nation. Decreasing the security of the continent doesn't necessarily decrease the security of the UK.

Also, it's not helping terrorists, it is witholding intelligence from foreign agencies. If you feel that way then look to the US who have shared very little with the Europeans for the better part of 50 years. Are you really saying that the US is "helping terrorists"? It may not suit your agenda of the UK not using the strongest​ hand to get a good trade deal but so be it.

Serious people on the continent are now looking very worried at the idea that the UK's vast intelligence gathering networks will no longer be available. That's the bottom line. We retreat to the Five Eyes, keep our existing arrangement with France and let the rest of the continent fend for itself as the US does.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We have the virtue of being an island nation. Decreasing the security of the continent doesn't necessarily decrease the security of the UK.

Also, it's not helping terrorists, it is witholding intelligence from foreign agencies. If you feel that way then look to the US who have shared very little with the Europeans for the better part of 50 years. Are you really saying that the US is "helping terrorists"? It may not suit your agenda of the UK not using the strongest​ hand to get a good trade deal but so be it.

Serious people on the continent are now looking very worried at the idea that the UK's vast intelligence gathering networks will no longer be available. That's the bottom line. We retreat to the Five Eyes, keep our existing arrangement with France and let the rest of the continent fend for itself as the US does.

Of course it's helping terrorists. If you stop fighting them you start aiding them. And you put British lives in increased danger at home and abroad. There is no way round that, I'm afraid.

• Options

It is mind boggling that some people seriously seem to believe that the UK will actively help terrorist organisations and enemy powers in order to get one over long-time friends and allies in a trade negotiation.

Also characterising the witholding of intelligence as actively helping terrorists is disgusting. Why should the burden of continental anti-terror efforts fall on the UK and France? That's what it boils down to, we spend a lot more money on this than the rest of them, they are free to do the same if we withdraw from intelligence sharing agreements. It is the German, Belgian and Dutch governments that have been actively helping terrorists (quite literally in the case of Belgium) by not spending enough money on their own intelligence gathering and putting their begging bowls out to the UK, US and France far too often despite being among the richest nations in the world.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

MaxPB said:

Of course it's helping terrorists. If you stop fighting them you start aiding them. And you put British lives in increased danger at home and abroad. There is no way round that, I'm afraid.

So the US is aiding terror in Europe? That's Obama since 2008 and Bush from 2000-2008? I know you'd say yes to Trump anyway, but Obama carried the same policies as Bush and Clinton before him.

And of course, we will still be fighting them in our own country, as I said we have the virtue of being an island nation which has a hard border with Europe.

Like it or not, the Europeans are stuffed because they spent the last 30 years neglecting their own intelligence gathering networks and became reliant on an outside power who is able to withdraw support at any time.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,001
    MaxPB said:

Also characterising the witholding of intelligence as actively helping terrorists is disgusting. Why should the burden of continental anti-terror efforts fall on the UK and France? That's what it boils down to, we spend a lot more money on this than the rest of them, they are free to do the same if we withdraw from intelligence sharing agreements. It is the German, Belgian and Dutch governments that have been actively helping terrorists (quite literally in the case of Belgium) by not spending enough money on their own intelligence gathering and putting their begging bowls out to the UK, US and France far too often despite being among the richest nations in the world.
    It's perfectly feasible that we'd uncover information about foreign actors during investigation of our own actors. If there's an attack that we could have prevented with that information then yes, that's disgusting.

Also, if both sides share information then connections might be made that are unavailable to only one side.

It's in our interests as well as theirs to work with EU countries on intelligence.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,303
    SeanT said:

There ain't gonna be an indyref2 until the early-mid 2020s. By then it may feel eerily irrelevant and feel utterly pointless. Bet accordingly.

As I said yesterday it will depend on the outcome of the Scottish elections in 2021. If the SNP get a majority or even close so their little green helpers give them control again we will have one in 2022. If they don't it will simply fall off the table.

That is quite a long time in political terms but it is difficult, given the state of SLAB, to see how the SNP will not still be dominating Scottish politics at that point. At the moment I would say there is about a 75% chance of an Indyref in 2022 or 2023.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

As I said yesterday it will depend on the outcome of the Scottish elections in 2021. If the SNP get a majority or even close so their little green helpers give them control again we will have one in 2022. If they don't it will simply fall off the table.

That is quite a long time in political terms but it is difficult, given the state of SLAB, to see how the SNP will not still be dominating Scottish politics at that point. At the moment I would say there is about a 75% chance of an Indyref in 2022 or 2023.
    As with almost everything in politics (except possibly Labour's performance in the next GE, and even then...) it all depends on how Brexit turns out, or, more accurately, on perceptions of how it turns out. Which themselves depend to a significant degree on where the economy goes over the next five years, whether influenced by Brexit or not.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So the US is aiding terror in Europe? That's Obama since 2008 and Bush from 2000-2008? I know you'd say yes to Trump anyway, but Obama carried the same policies as Bush and Clinton before him.

And of course, we will still be fighting them in our own country, as I said we have the virtue of being an island nation which has a hard border with Europe.

Like it or not, the Europeans are stuffed because they spent the last 30 years neglecting their own intelligence gathering networks and became reliant on an outside power who is able to withdraw support at any time.
    Why should British tax payers fund intelligence gathering Belgian or German taxpayers won't? It's not our fault their Intelligence Services aren't up to the job. I'm sure if there was an imminent attack we were aware of we'd tell them - but the day to day grind is something they should take care of themselves- and the howls of outrage show Mrs May has hit a mark.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

As with almost everything in politics (except possibly Labour's performance in the next GE, and even then...) it all depends on how Brexit turns out, or, more accurately, on perceptions of how it turns out. Which themselves depend to a significant degree on where the economy goes over the next five years, whether influenced by Brexit or not.
    Brexit has some impact on the Scottish situation but it is mostly peripheral. If the UK gets a proper free trade deal with the EU that would help the SNP argue that we would get such a deal with rUK as well. If the UK has significant NTBs, such as complex customs provisions, that will have an impact the other way.

As someone who is pretty optimistic about our trading relationship with the EU post Brexit I do not think it will have much impact. OTOH we are getting pretty close to being due a recession. It is already 9 years since the last one albeit growth has generally been very restrained. If that recession is blamed on Brexit, and the timing could be unfortunate, then Scots might be persuaded to have a grievance about it. Some of us are rather good at that, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Very (snip) y words.

@Fishing

I'm sure most ministers have unreasonable expectations, and I'm not saying civil servants are without fault. Plenty of them are lazy, indifferent, stubborn or apathetic. Many (doubtless including me) aren't nearly as intelligent as they think they are. And lots don't have any expertise in the areas they deal with. Well, they're human. But most do have a modicum of experience in policy areas while many ministers don't, and most have some experience of translating wishes into reality, which few ministers do. And I think it would greatly help government in this country if all ministers realised that.
    My experience, a mix of direct and indirect, is that the most difficult thing in government (and indeed to a great extent in any large bureaucracy) is getting the organisation to achieve something it doesn't want to do anyway. And officials are experts in keeping politicians' diaries full with a mix of the things they want doing, things they know the politician will enjoy doing, and stuff that doesn't really need their attention at all.

The practical upshot of this is that many politicians are subsumed into and by the job and come and go without having left a personal mark on it at all, with the more determined/focused/capabable needing to focus all of their efforts on the two or three things they absolutely want to achieve. The effort to direct the bureaucracy's attention to these, on top of doing all the politics with colleagues and the public, is immense, but with drive and determination it can be done. But the outcome is as you describe - the politician leaves with these few personal things achieved; the officials get all the other business done as it would have been done regardless.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Why should British tax payers fund intelligence gathering Belgian or German taxpayers won't? It's not our fault their Intelligence Services aren't up to the job. I'm sure if there was an imminent attack we were aware of we'd tell them - but the day to day grind is something they should take care of themselves- and the howls of outrage show Mrs May has hit a mark.
    Is the point not even more fundamental than that? AIUI most of our intelligence comes from the interception and analysis of internet and telephony data by GCHQ. If we do not have agreements or understandings in place how far are we prepared to go to collect such data from, say, Belgium for analysis? I suspect that we would if following a specific person of interest to us but as a generality....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The other issue, which to his credit Cameron at least tried to address, is that ministers come and go whereas officials know their briefs and departments through long service (although at more junior levels even the civil service seems to have something of an obsession with departmental rotation). Having ministers who are always new in the job, whilst ensuring they are fresh and eager, isn't the best approach for good governance; a little experience of the brief goes a long way. Partly due to the different dymanic of coalition, allowing ministers time to grow into their roles during 2010-15 was a good move,

Edit/During the Blair years, ministers were chopped about all the time, which didn't deliver good governance. I suspect this was a lot to do with New Labour's command and control mentality with the top team never wanting to risk anyone below them getting a power base from authority in the job.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's perfectly feasible that we'd uncover information about foreign actors during investigation of our own actors. If there's an attack that we could have prevented with that information then yes, that's disgusting.

Also, if both sides share information then connections might be made that are unavailable to only one side.

It's in our interests as well as theirs to work with EU countries on intelligence.
    The issue is that there is no such thing as "both sides" there's two nations in Europe that have intelligence agencies that are worth a damn and there are 26 nations who have their begging bowls out. We already have an agreement with France on defence and security which is outside of the scope of the EU and the French have indicated that this is not going to change since it is a bilateral agreement.

As for not warning them, I'm sure we would do so if a plot was uncovered, even the Americans go that far. The issue is the day to day surveillance and basic information gathering networks are complete and utter shit on the continent and half of the agencies are riddled with double agents. That is where British agencies are incredibly strong and secure. That all costs money and the UK taxpayer has borne this burden for a very long time, while we were in the EU it made sense, outside of the EU it changes the balance. Not all 27 nations are immediately our allies and not all 27 nations can be trusted. We can and should help prevent active plots just as the Americans do, but base level intelligence sharing? Let's talk trade first.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Is the point not even more fundamental than that? AIUI most of our intelligence comes from the interception and analysis of internet and telephony data by GCHQ. If we do not have agreements or understandings in place how far are we prepared to go to collect such data from, say, Belgium for analysis? I suspect that we would if following a specific person of interest to us but as a generality....
    The hypocrisy has been breathtaking

UK - We're leaving
    EU - OK - you will become a "Third Country" and should expect to be treated as such
    UK - Fair enough - same applies to Intelligence
    EU- OUTRAGEOUS!!!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Brexit has some impact on the Scottish situation but it is mostly peripheral. If the UK gets a proper free trade deal with the EU that would help the SNP argue that we would get such a deal with rUK as well. If the UK has significant NTBs, such as complex customs provisions, that will have an impact the other way.

As someone who is pretty optimistic about our trading relationship with the EU post Brexit I do not think it will have much impact. OTOH we are getting pretty close to being due a recession. It is already 9 years since the last one albeit growth has generally been very restrained. If that recession is blamed on Brexit, and the timing could be unfortunate, then Scots might be persuaded to have a grievance about it. Some of us are rather good at that, unfortunately.
    I put the chance of a post-Brexit shock somewhat higher than you. But your last few sentences summarise what was my point very well.
  • Options

The intelligence might not be directly available to them.

"I'm sure if there was an imminent attack we were aware of we'd tell them"

Intelligence is often about connections as well as 'hard' intelligence. With less information sharing all sides will miss potentially useful connections.

The lack of sharing information would mean that connections between other pieces of information would not be made, and an attempt to perform an atrocity may not be caught in time.

But IANAE, and it would be good to get Yokel's views on this.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The issue is that there is no such thing as "both sides" there's two nations in Europe that have intelligence agencies that are worth a damn and there are 26 nations who have their begging bowls out. We already have an agreement with France on defence and security which is outside of the scope of the EU and the French have indicated that this is not going to change since it is a bilateral agreement.

As for not warning them, I'm sure we would do so if a plot was uncovered, even the Americans go that far. The issue is the day to day surveillance and basic information gathering networks are complete and utter shit on the continent and half of the agencies are riddled with double agents. That is where British agencies are incredibly strong and secure. That all costs money and the UK taxpayer has borne this burden for a very long time, while we were in the EU it made sense, outside of the EU it changes the balance. Not all 27 nations are immediately our allies and not all 27 nations can be trusted. We can and should help prevent active plots just as the Americans do, but base level intelligence sharing? Let's talk trade first.
    Stopping active plots may often come from base-level intelligence sharing. And withdrawing may hurt us as much as them.

"half of the agencies are riddled with double agents"

That's an interesting claim. Do you have a source?
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

UK - We're leaving
    EU - OK - you will become a "Third Country" and should expect to be treated as such
    EU- OUTRAGEOUS!!!
    Indeed, if we are to be treated as an outside nation then that's fine, but let's be consistent about it. The US is an outside nation to the EU and has few to no formal intelligence ties with the continent. Unsurprising given how insecure information is with most of the agencies there.
  • Options
    On intelligence it also has to be recognised that so far at least the sophisticated international conspiracies have been the least of our problems and a pretty minor problem on the continent too. I think all of our terrorists and the vast majority of those on the continent have been home grown and, as our latest attack showed (and the attack on Lee Rigby before that) about as far from sophisticated as you can get.

This requires a different kind of intelligence with the equivalent of boots on the ground trying to weigh which of the nutters mouthing off is actually a threat and which can be safely ignored. I honestly don't know how much help we can be to EU countries in those kinds of assessments. At best we could suggest a list of people who are seriously worth a look.
  • Options

Stopping active plots may often come from base-level intelligence sharing. And withdrawing may hurt us as much as them.

No specific source but it is an open secret. Yokel will be able to elaborate more. It's not even an open secret in Germany, it's open. The German intelligence services are riddled with Turkish double agents and more recently Islamist ones.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/german-intelligence-officer-arrested-islamist-plot-raising-fears/amp/

Stopping a plot is literally just informing them of an imminent attack, it doesn't require much sharing of intelligence. It's what the US does with most of its allies outside of the Five Eyes.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    For the generations to come, nobody should ever be in any doubt about whose fault this is. https://t.co/fzAcCnwf9v
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On intelligence it also has to be recognised that so far at least the sophisticated international conspiracies have been the least of our problems and a pretty minor problem on the continent too. I think all of our terrorists and the vast majority of those on the continent have been home grown and, as our latest attack showed (and the attack on Lee Rigby before that) about as far from sophisticated as you can get.

This requires a different kind of intelligence with the equivalent of boots on the ground trying to weigh which of the nutters mouthing off is actually a threat and which can be safely ignored. I honestly don't know how much help we can be to EU countries in those kinds of assessments. At best we could suggest a list of people who are seriously worth a look.

AIUI British intelligence was the backbone of terror raids in Germany after their summer of attacks. It's internet surveillance which makes a huge difference and our agencies are far, far more sophisticated than anything on the continent. This rubbish about WhatsApp is silly because I'm almost certain that SiS have broken it before now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No specific source but it is an open secret. Yokel will be able to elaborate more. It's not even an open secret in Germany, it's open. The German intelligence services are riddled with Turkish double agents and more recently Islamist ones.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/german-intelligence-officer-arrested-islamist-plot-raising-fears/amp/

Stopping a plot is literally just informing them of an imminent attack, it doesn't require much sharing of intelligence. It's what the US does with most of its allies outside of the Five Eyes.
    One case does not mean 'riddled'. So you have no evidence, although it'd be interesting to hear Yokel's view.

As for your last paragraph, you miss the point: we may not know their is going to be an attack because some of the base-level intelligence required to detect it has not been shared.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

AIUI British intelligence was the backbone of terror raids in Germany after their summer of attacks. It's internet surveillance which makes a huge difference and our agencies are far, far more sophisticated than anything on the continent. This rubbish about WhatsApp is silly because I'm almost certain that SiS have broken it before now.
    During the shutdown of Brussels in the hunt for the Paris attackers Brussels police were getting much more from British Intelligence than they were their own intelligence service.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

For the generations to come, nobody should ever be in any doubt about whose fault this is. https://t.co/fzAcCnwf9v

To be fair, I don't think Cameron deserves all the credit - the EU had a not insignificant role in its duff deal.....
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    I guess intelligence is worth a few billion. About 60?
  • Options
    Education
    Poverty
    NHS

Oh well, at least the SNP can campaign on their infrastructure record:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-39417642

High winds on the East Coast? Who knew?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2017
    Jonathan said:

Actually no.. Its a collective responsibility of past PM's who allowed the UK to be sucked into the European mulch. Lets not forget Gordon Brown's disgraceful behaviour over the Lisbon Treaty.. Eventually when given the chance the Nation said enough is enough. To blame Cameron for allowing a democratic choice is far too simplistic.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A problem is that the government are saying that a large number of terrorist plots have been successfully foiled, but we have little idea where or how the intelligence required to detect them early came from.

It should be remembered that several European mainland terrorist attacks involved men who had moved extensively around Europe and elsewhere before the attacks; we can expect some other would-be terrorists would also have left traces abroad.
  • Options

Education
    Poverty
    NHS

That's unfair. Unless you're volunteering to climb up to remove the cranes?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So him.

Like on an outside power who is able to withdraw support at any time.

We are not going to do anything to put British citizens in increased danger at home or abroad. If what we are threatening to do will not result in that happening we have no leverage. Everyone serious knows this.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    F*cking hell, these leavers are crazy.

What next? Pointing our nukes at Berlin?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Pong said:

F*cking hell, these leavers are nuts.

What's next? Pointing our nukes at Berlin?

I often wonder if France has a couple pointed at us
  • Options
    edited March 2017

DavidL said:

A problem is that the government are saying that a large number of terrorist plots have been successfully foiled, but we have little idea where or how the intelligence required to detect them early came from.

It should be remembered that several European mainland terrorist attacks involved men who had moved extensively around Europe and elsewhere before the attacks; we can expect some other would-be terrorists would also have left traces abroad.

It's a simple train journey from Brussels to London. If a terrorist makes that trip and is not uncovered before committing an atrocity because the British government reduced its levels of cooperation with the Belgians that brings the government down. It's as simple as that. All this willy-waving makes for great newspaper headlines, but as a negotiating position it is a non-starter.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So him.

We are not going to do anything to put British citizens in increased danger at home or abroad. If what we are threatening to do will not result in that happening we have no leverage. Everyone serious knows this.

So Obama put American citizens at risk by not sharing intelligence?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited March 2017

DavidL said:

It's a simple train journey from London to Brussels. If a terrorist makes that trip and is not uncovered because the British government reduced its levels of cooperation with the Belgians that brings the government down. It's as simple as that. And it is not going to happen. All this willy-waving makes for great newspaper headlines, but as a negotiating position it is a non-starter.

Last time we heard the belgian security services didnt even share intelligence with each other, let alone with overseas agencies
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's a simple train journey from Brussels to London. If a terrorist makes that trip and is not uncovered before committing an atrocity because the British government reduced its levels of cooperation with the Belgians that brings the government down. It's as simple as that. All this willy-waving makes for great newspaper headlines, but as a negotiating position it is a non-starter.

An awful lot of people have got terribly upset over a "non-starter"
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So him.

Why Mrs May has hit a mark.

Potentially, yes. But we are threatening to stop doing something that we are doing now and around which processes and protocols have been built.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    ICYMI

There was publication overnight of some Prof Curtice led research in Scotland relating to Brexit conducted by Nat Cen Social research. They largely want the same relationship with the EU that their fellow Britons do.

• Options

DavidL said:

Yes, it's all a bit silly. May's letter yesterday was generally very conciliatory and realistic. The security stuff was unfortunate, but was clearly designed only for use in the way that the Sun has used it. The threat will go away very quickly.

• Options

You keep repeating that but it's not true because removing ourselves from EU intelligence sharing doesn't put the UK at any more risk. It's a one way street.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    chestnut said:

ICYMI

There was publication overnight of some Prof Curtice led research in Scotland relating to Brexit conducted by Nat Cen Social research. They largely want the same relationship with the EU that their fellow Britons do.

If true the implication is that the UK as a whole would also have voted 62% Remain if the campaign had been more effective.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

Education
    Poverty
    NHS

Or was it all the hot air about another referendum that caused the winds?
  • Options

DavidL said:

The upset appears to be amongst the leavers. How *dare* money we spend to protect ourselves also protect others. Intolerable!

;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Potentially, yes. But we are threatening to stop doing something that we are doing now and around which processes and protocols have been built.

"Your money or your lives" as the Sun puts it. I'd just tell us to go fuck ourselves if I was the EU at this point.
    At some level this potentially puts British citizens at potential further risk anyway, and the EU will know that. Fuck em (us) I say.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So him.

Why Mrs May has hit a mark.

More fool them to rely on an outside actor then.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    chestnut said:

ICYMI

The results will doubtless come as a surprise to many. For it seems that despite the way Scotland voted in the EU referendum, attitudes north of the border towards the shape of Brexit are not so different after all. In particular, rather than endorsing freedom of movement, it seems that most voters in Scotland, just like their counterparts elsewhere, would like to maintain free trade but abandon freedom of movement. As a result, it seems that their position is much closer to that of the UK government than that of the Scottish Government.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2017/03/what-do-voters-in-scotland-want-from-brexit/

Another nail in the "Scotland is different" coffin.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Education
    Poverty
    NHS

Nah, they would have been hurricane-force gales. :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You keep repeating that but it's not true because removing ourselves from EU intelligence sharing doesn't put the UK at any more risk. It's a one way street.

At a very minimum it puts the one million plus British citizens who live in the EU, plus the tens of millions more who visit each year, in increased danger. Given that, we would expect the government to be issuing warnings about the dangers of visiting. I wonder if that will happen :-)

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

ydoethur said:

Education
    Poverty
    NHS

Nah, they would have been hurricane-force gales. :)
    The extra struts might have cancelled it out anyway! :smiley:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Your money or your lives" as the Sun puts it. I'd just tell us to go fuck ourselves if I was the EU at this point.
    At some level this potentially puts British citizens at potential further risk anyway, and the EU will know that. Fuck em (us) I say.

Precisely. How many Brits visit the 27 EU member states each year? How many live in them? Are we seriously suggesting the government is about to put them in increased danger? It is the height of absurdity.

• Options

Pong said:

F*cking hell, these leavers are nuts.

What's next? Pointing our nukes at Berlin?

I often wonder if France has a couple pointed at us
    Yup. They're nuts.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As I said yesterday, many Leavers have no regard for basic human decency. "Your money or your lives" was the slogan of highwaymen.

That said, since Britain has now definitively ruled out by far the optimal negotiating strategy of seeking to play a constructive part in post-Brexit Europe, attempting brute (though relatively much smaller) force is a massively inferior second best - akin to the strategy of the Huns facing the more powerful but more effete approach of the late Roman Empire. Though how Theresa May thinks she's going to get unity behind her on this approach is quite beyond me.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Precisely. How many Brits visit the 27 EU member states each year? How many live in them? Are we seriously suggesting the government is about to put them in increased danger? It is the height of absurdity.

Keep plugging away SO. They might get it eventually.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"doesn't put the UK at any more risk"

You keep repeating that, but I think you're wrong, for the reasons I state below. Intelligence is often about connections, and this change would mean that we might miss many potentially useful connections.

As a perhaps-poor example: person A is of interest to us. Person C is of interest to us. They meet Person B, who is a foreign national. And we now know f'all about whether Person B is someone we should now be paying especial interest in, and whether what might be an innocent meeting is something more sinister. Worse, person B's country won't know that he met with two people of interest to us.

Person B could be a 'clean' distant relative of person A who has come to the UK to visit a mutual sick relative. Or he might be a career criminal with a record of violence and who has been known to meet with others of interest in his own country.

Both sides are weakened by a lack of cooperation.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Hope everyone had a great time last night. Sorry I couldn't make it. Thanks to Mortimer for organising.

I met up with an old Leaver friend in Westminster, where we had ribeye steaks washed down with Chapel Down English champagne.

Delicious. Didn't get back till late. Suffering a bit today.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

At a very minimum it puts the one million plus British citizens who live in the EU, plus the tens of millions more who visit each year, in increased danger. Given that, we would expect the government to be issuing warnings about the dangers of visiting. I wonder if that will happen :-)

Don't got to the Belgian suburbs.
  • Options
    I'd love to have the EU's hand in these negotiations, I'd find ours terribly difficult to play.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd love to have the EU's hand in these negotiations, I'd find ours terribly difficult to play.

It's a very difficult hand being played extraordinarily badly.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Don't got to the Belgian suburbs.

There have been no terrorist attacks in the Belgian suburbs, have there?

• Options
    If we/they have intelligence on a real, deadly and imminent threat in the EU/UK there are no circumstances where it is justifiable for government to sit on it and not act. None.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

I can assure you that they haven't. The technology behind it is based on the Signal protocol, which is extensively academically reviewed (https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/1013.pdf).

The end to end encryption model is robust, which is why nation states have largely moved efforts on to the end point. The message whilst in transmission is unbreakable.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    How does it work with 5 eyes at the moment, if GCHQ discovers an imminent terrorist threat to say Bergen do we rock up to the Stortinget with an invoice to be paid up front ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Everything in the public sphere seems very amateur, almost childish. We can only hope the civil service are better.

The weaknesses of our politicians is being laid bare. They have spent too much time shouting at each other at Westminster and think the world works that way.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

Stop projecting your worst wishes onto the reality of the situation. Anybody who wouldn't use our security position as a chip isn't using the hand they have. If you didn't use certain issues to get the best deal for your client because it made you feel a bit icky, then you either shouldn't be doing the job - or expect to be sued for negligence.

And if you want to use the line that we shouldn't be putting European lives at risk by such a strategy, then a) they are only at risk if the EU holds out against acknowledging our strength and b) we need to get the best deal we can to fund the NHS. The snowflakes can't scream that "Tory cuts to our NHS put lives at risk" - and then bitch when we make the case to get the best financial settlement to, er, help fund the NHS....
  • Options

I think most of the objection to the UK using its strongest card in the negotiation is from those who object to the UK Leaving in principle.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    fitalass said:

SeanT said:

Seconded!! The SNP juggernaut started to very slowly grind to a halt in late summer of 2015, check the SNP polling before and during the Holyrood election campaign.. I did and bet accordingly that the SNP would narrowly lose their majority. And then check out Nicola Sturgeon's personal poll ratings dive after she launched her personal summer campaign for another Indy Ref in the days following the EU Referendum result....

Dear Dear , total and utter delusion. A Tory will never be FM whilst the sun shines.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

I think most of the objection to the UK using its strongest card in the negotiation is from those who object to the UK Leaving in principle.
    If we're playing our strongest card on day one, you have to worry what the rest of our hand looks like.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

So what? Better someone looks at things without rose tinted spectacles.

If this is our strongest card, boy are we screwed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Jonathan said:

If we/they have intelligence on a real, deadly and imminent threat in the EU/UK there are no circumstances where it is justifiable for government to sit on it and not act. None.

There are many examples in history of a smaller incident being 'tolerated' in order to prevent a more serious one.

Churchill's actions at Mers-el-Kebir spring to mind.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

How does it work with 5 eyes at the moment, if GCHQ discovers an imminent terrorist threat to say Bergen do we rock up to the Stortinget with an invoice to be paid up front ?

One way we could frame this is to say "we spend x amount on surveillance in these parts of Europe and its allowed us to offer y intelligence. In the future we might not be able spend quite so much on it."

Of course, this assumes that we actually do this and it is actually useful to them. Bottom line is it's something we have going for us so why not use it?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Stop projecting your worst wishes onto the reality of the situation. Anybody who wouldn't use our security position as a chip isn't using the hand they have. If you didn't use certain issues to get the best deal for your client because it made you feel a bit icky, then you either shouldn't be doing the job - or expect to be sued for negligence.

And if you want to use the line that we shouldn't be putting European lives at risk by such a strategy, then a) they are only at risk if the EU holds out against acknowledging our strength and b) we need to get the best deal we can to fund the NHS. The snowflakes can't scream that "Tory cuts to our NHS put lives at risk" - and then bitch when we make the case to get the best financial settlement to, er, help fund the NHS....
    I commend to you, and to all Leavers, Aesop's fable of the Sun and the Wind. It should be required reading for the relevant government ministers and there are versions that will fit any reading age.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2017
    This macho posturing by Max and co is frankly embarrassing. It is little different to the headlines in The Sun when the English football team plays. It shows why the UK is such an ugly partner for our ex Euro allies to deal with.

To appeal to this raw meat tabloid culture even semi sane people are pumping out their chests advising our ex allies 'don't mess with us'.

And all this despite the uncomfortable fact that nearly all our terrorist outrages are home grown. It's the continent who ought to want to quarantine themselves from us.

• Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

UK - We're leaving
    EU- OUTRAGEOUS!!!
    This all comes down to the fact that the EU believe that the UK leaving is both an irrational act, and our problem not theirs. There is no equity.

So they see nothing wrong in being hardline with us, but expect us to be nothing sweetness and light, if we expect anything at all from them, and very grateful for what we do get.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Given the perfidy we have suffered it is no surprise. That anybody wants to be a lapdog to London and be told what they can and cannot do is unbelievable to me. Half our nation are spineless cowards.
  • Options

Do you think that applies to me?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why don't you support your own country?
  • Options
    If our terrorism is so homegrown, why the need for European information?

Similarly, how many of their considerably more frequent and higher impact incidents have been a consequence of our terrorists?

There is either a cross border threat, as Leave always suggested and Remain denied, or there isn't.
  • Options

chestnut said:

ICYMI

The results will doubtless come as a surprise to many. For it seems that despite the way Scotland voted in the EU referendum, attitudes north of the border towards the shape of Brexit are not so different after all. In particular, rather than endorsing freedom of movement, it seems that most voters in Scotland, just like their counterparts elsewhere, would like to maintain free trade but abandon freedom of movement. As a result, it seems that their position is much closer to that of the UK government than that of the Scottish Government.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2017/03/what-do-voters-in-scotland-want-from-brexit/

Another nail in the "Scotland is different" coffin.....
    Yes we only save our differences for "real" voting not bollox surveys and made up merde. 62% says different to that pile of steaming dung
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pulpstar said:

That's a bit abrupt when it comes to doing business.
    Hopefully we ask for half up front and the other half when we show them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Bit grumpy on here.

F1: I was thinking about the Shanghai circuit the other night. More straights, including a big one, than Australia. I suspect McLaren will have a hellish race. Might be relatively poorer for Renault too (I think they're having to use last year's ERS which is costing them quite a few horsepower).
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Pulpstar said:

It would be if you played it thinking that the contract is in no trumps, when in fact it's in spades and you hold most of them including the ace.

The UK has developed a huge and unsustainable trade deficit with the rest of the world, one which dwarfs the scale of previous decades, and almost all of that trade deficit is accounted for by trade with the EU. We're pretty well in balance with the rest of the world, so without EU trade, our trade deficit would virtually disappear. As such, it's overwhelmingly in the EU's interests to continue with the current arrangements, while by contrast the UK can afford to be sanguine over the prospect of some scaling back of the volume of such trade under some tariff and non-tariff barriers, should the EU demand a high price for continuing as now.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pong said:

F*cking hell, these leavers are crazy.

What next? Pointing our nukes at Berlin?

Statistically that's where the danger has come from over the last 100 years.
    We'd be foolish not to have one in the barrel for them.
  • Options

Do you think that applies to me?
    I haven't seen your posts (if you've made them) on the subject, in all honesty.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    On the subject of intelligence gathering would anyone be very surprised if Cheltenham was not crawling all over the phones and inboxes of Brussels and Berlin at the moment? Perhaps Mrs May's letter is based on more than guesswork of the EUs likely reaction.
This discussion has been closed.