Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The poll finding that sums up GE2017 & why it’ll be a CON land

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

bobajobPB said:

Torygraph looks like it might have the story that sets this election alight - but Twitter pic too lo-res to read properly on my phone. Can't get up as cat fast asleep on my leg.

I presume you're talking about this?

Exclusive: 100 moderate Labour MPs to form breakaway group if Jeremy Corbyn stays on after a Tory landslide

Labour faces a historic split after the election with as many as 100 of the party's MPs set to walk out and form their own breakaway group in an attempt to force out Jeremy Corbyn, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Moderate Labour candidates are already in talks with potential donors about a new “Progressives” group forming in Parliament if Mr Corbyn stays on as leader after a Tory landslide.

One potential scenario is for the MPs to resign the Labour whip and become independents grouped together in the Commons under the Progressives banner.

They could then rejoin the Parliamentary Labour Party once Mr Corbyn had been replaced with a leader they supported.

Dan Jarvis, Yvette Cooper and Sir Keir Starmer could be asked to lead the group, although there is no suggestion they have been approached or been involved in the talks.

That's your lot, the rest is behind the paywall.
    The big question; Are they going to be the many or the few?
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    Ave_it said:
    I'm in Vauxhall and would love to give Dolly my vote. However, I feel I have to reward Kate for her integrity, even though it really pains me to add a vote to the Labour tally.

The campaign's getting personal already in the leaflets. The Lib Dems flyer quotes odds from PP to make out it's a two horse race. Can't see it though. The ethnic vote will be solid for Hoey and I doubt the Tories will do much worse than last time. I hope the Lib Dems come third.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Away from Tory surgers and Brexiteers. Tonight was the Eurovision SF1.

Sweden were good and usually score well: 16/1, best ew.

Greece may be worth a dabble ew at 100/1

I liked Moldova at 80/1 but I suspect a bit too weird.

Poland wins the scantily clad buxom blonde award.

Odds with Skybet, which seem best odds apart from the 14/1 that Ladbrokes has on UK nul points. In Brexit year? good value IMO!

Wise punters would take note that my music taste is peculiar!

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2017
    Did Mrs May get on the blower and say Donald could you do me a favour...got any decisions in the pipeline that might make a bit of splash....fancy making them now?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    The CPS will announce its charging decisions over the Tory election fraud tomorrow at 11:00. MPs will be told of the outcome at 10:30. Most MPs Guido has spoken to fully expect no further action to be taken. Craig Mackinlay on the other hand has a nervous night ahead…
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Floater said:
    The CPS will announce its charging decisions over the Tory election fraud tomorrow at 11:00. MPs will be told of the outcome at 10:30. Most MPs Guido has spoken to fully expect no further action to be taken. Craig Mackinlay on the other hand has a nervous night ahead…
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017

isam said:

When I ask about her dealings with the current MP, Labour’s Jack Dromey, there is a pause followed by a long sigh. “I don’t feel like I have much of a choice. Most people around here won’t vote. I would like to vote Labour but things aren’t changing so I feel like I can’t.”

Through Elliott’s eyes, Erdington is increasingly segregated with stark ethnic divides. We walk on to Slade Road, which lies to the south of Erdington in Stockland Green, and on a notepad Elliott divides it into sections where people of different ethnicities live side by side but do not, she says, mix. It is a “tinder box” waiting to be lit, she claims, with tensions between the Polish, Muslim and African-Caribbean communities.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/09/erdington-general-election-id-like-to-vote-labour-but-things-arent-changing

Sounds a lot like Scotland where Labour took their vote for granted...and of course Jezza was all speaker corner ranting this morning about the bankers, the rich, the rigged system, but not a single word on immigration (which is a huge issue to many in Labour traditional seats).

"sections where people of different ethnicities live side by side but do not, she says, mix. It is a “tinder box” waiting to be lit, she claims, with tensions between the Polish, Muslim and African-Caribbean communities."

Who would have thought mass immigration would lead to that?
    Dromey says he's proud of it...
    I wonder how much time Dromey spends in his constituency.
    Is Mr Harman in trouble ??
    I've been betting against him for some time.
  • Options

Did Mrs May get on the blower and say Donald could you do me a favour...got any decisions in the pipeline that might make a bit of splash....fancy making them now?

Nuking North Korea would fit the bill... :D
  • Options
    I'm glad we are reaching denouement...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

That's surely a plus when judging Eurovision.
  • Options

Ok, I'll stop now.

Please dont :)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Trump sacks Comey.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

The promised vote on hunting will be another black mark against Hoey in Vauxhall.

The voters won't care. You'll see the full extent of the robot Labour vote there.
    It's not even the case of the robot vote. There's no evidence that Hoey is unpopular with her constituents in general. She's hated by rich left wingers who are angry over Brexit. They exist in Vauxhall, but there aren't enough of them.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    My Con + UKIP * 66% Vs LDs + 3pp has him losing by about 6pp.

His only hope is if Remain-y Labour voters go tactical, while Leavers stay at home. I'd want 4-1 to back him.
    I hope you're topping up in Vauxhall on Hoey at 4-9.
    No. But I just got on at 8/13!
    Who with ?
    Corals
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

Mortimer said:

Fat_Steve said:

GIN1138 said:

Ave_it said:

Fat Steve/moderators - are we having a London pre election PB social event?

If there is a meet up let's hope nobody gets banned over it this time! :open_mouth:

And yes, I'm well thanks. :smiley:
    Good reminder Ave _ It - Thanks

I'll have a think about Venues - DDs has been pretty poor the last couple of times, so I want somewhere central, accessible, and with reasonable volume (not thumping music) - and bookable without a big admin headache. I'll have a think. - But if anyone else has an idea and wants to contact Mike, I'd equally be happy for that to happen.
    Good plan Steve. I'd be up for attending if I can. Truckles were very amenable - don't the same people have another branch near St James?
    Very possible.
    (hint - should anyone wish to take up the mantle of "Unofficial Drinks Organiser" I am happy to pass it on. Best get official clearance).
    I haven't been before but i would love to pop my cherry in an election year !
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

dr_spyn said:

CPS leaking like a sieve once more.

What's it leaked? That there'll be an announcement tomorrow is not a leak. Have they said who, if anyone, will be charged?
    Its creating a profile for the CPS. They should keep their traps shut, and no public announcements to camera EVER.
    Secret justice? Is that really what we want?
    Don't be silly. The bringing of charges is a matter of public record and can never be secret, and should be the subject of a factual press release.
    If the bringing of charges is a matter of public record, where is it published? That there is a court hearing in a case is certainly a matter of public record: anyone can go to the court office and look at the lists.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Who wants to make foxes a protected species?

And who wants to make them extinct in the UK?

Those are basically the options if we properly ban hunting. Foxes are a major pest to free range poultry farmers; they are allowed to, and will, kill them brutally to protect their birds. If they're not 'cultivated' for hunting they will soon die out.

This is all nonsense. Hunting accounted for (and to the extent the law is evaded still accounts for) only a small percentage of fox deaths. It's a sport, not a serious means of fox contol.
    That is simply not true. It is (or rather was) both.
    During the hunting period in the UK, hunting with hounds possibly counted for as little as 5% of fox mortality.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.net/foxhunting/huntban
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,300

Odds with Skybet, which seem best odds apart from the 14/1 that Ladbrokes has on UK nul points. In Brexit year? good value IMO!

Not all Eurovision participants are EU members!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited May 2017
    Sean_F said:

It's not even the case of the robot vote. There's no evidence that Hoey is unpopular with her constituents in general. She's hated by rich left wingers who are angry over Brexit. They exist in Vauxhall, but there aren't enough of them.

Thanks, on for some small maxes with Laddies and Corals now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nuking North Korea would fit the bill... :D
    I would venture the opinion that might be too extreme a distraction, and please never tweet it at President Trump, for I really don't think he understands the nuance behind an emoji smiley face.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hps://twitter.com/mshelicat/status/862063560045858821

Well, it's a step up from 'Babies will die' as headlines go at least.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Roger said:

bobajobPB said:

Torygraph looks like it might have the story that sets this election alight - but Twitter pic too lo-res to read properly on my phone. Can't get up as cat fast asleep on my leg.

I presume you're talking about this?

Exclusive: 100 moderate Labour MPs to form breakaway group if Jeremy Corbyn stays on after a Tory landslide

Labour faces a historic split after the election with as many as 100 of the party's MPs set to walk out and form their own breakaway group in an attempt to force out Jeremy Corbyn, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Moderate Labour candidates are already in talks with potential donors about a new “Progressives” group forming in Parliament if Mr Corbyn stays on as leader after a Tory landslide.

One potential scenario is for the MPs to resign the Labour whip and become independents grouped together in the Commons under the Progressives banner.

They could then rejoin the Parliamentary Labour Party once Mr Corbyn had been replaced with a leader they supported.

Dan Jarvis, Yvette Cooper and Sir Keir Starmer could be asked to lead the group, although there is no suggestion they have been approached or been involved in the talks.

That's your lot, the rest is behind the paywall.
    The big question; Are they going to be the many or the few?
    *APPLAUSE*
    Excellent!
    Indeed, the Bolsheviks v the Mensheviks.
  • Options

I'm tempted by an each way bet on Bulgaria. Not heard any of the songs but have heard good reports about it and Bulgaria were 4th in the public vote last year so they have a lot more friends than we do.
  • Options
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    President Macron; Democrat spinner or romantic spender?
  • Options

We may get a point from the Aussies, but 14/1 is value.
  • Options

The European Broadcast Union is the one True union.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Fingers crossed
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Jeremy Corbyn hoping for Bernie Sanders election endorsement

In an interview with the Guardian, Corbyn said he had “a lot of time for Bernie”. Asked if Sanders would endorse him when he visited Britain, the Labour leader said: “I can’t say. I hope he will. I think he probably will, actually. But we mustn’t predict these things.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/09/jeremy-corbyn-hoping-for-bernie-sanders-election-endorsement

We mustn't predict these things...that I have just predicted....

I wonder if somebody will inform Bernie of Labour slight issue with antisemitism? And Red Ken's views on Hitler?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Sounds like it is all in one go.

Prepare for a prosecution for Thanet. :p
    I'm a little surprised that they're going for it, if this is correct. The CPS had better be very sure of their stuff.

If there are any charges to be brought then I don't think it will be a catastrophe for the Tories (May herself is not, insofar as I am aware, in any way implicated.) But it will be highly embarrassing, of course. On the plus side, it gets the feeding frenzy out of the way before either the manifesto launch or the big TV set-pieces.
    Thanet South is the key-and the i doubt the door will be unlocked tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

If the Lib Dems have any sense, they should focus on Southwark & Bermondsey and the SW London marginals, not this one.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2017

Jeremy Corbyn hoping for Bernie Sanders election endorsement

In an interview with the Guardian, Corbyn said he had “a lot of time for Bernie”. Asked if Sanders would endorse him when he visited Britain, the Labour leader said: “I can’t say. I hope he will. I think he probably will, actually. But we mustn’t predict these things.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/09/jeremy-corbyn-hoping-for-bernie-sanders-election-endorsement

I wonder if somebody will inform Bernie of Labour slight issue with antisemitism?

He should ask for Colonel Sanders endorsement, because he is going to get battered!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Fingers crossed
    They're 4/9 now!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2017

Ishmael_Z said:

Those are basically the options if we properly ban hunting. Foxes are a major pest to free range poultry farmers; they are allowed to, and will, kill them brutally to protect their birds. If they're not 'cultivated' for hunting they will soon die out.

This is all nonsense. Hunting accounted for (and to the extent the law is evaded still accounts for) only a small percentage of fox deaths. It's a sport, not a serious means of fox contol.
    During the hunting period in the UK, hunting with hounds possibly counted for as little as 5% of fox mortality.

Possibly.
  • Options
    At least the CPS news hitting tomorrow will prevent weeks of 'Just wait and see what impact the damning CPS news has' hope and speculation. There may be some movement in the days after, probably small, and after a week we'll know if it has any traction as a story and can move on or build into our expectations.
  • Options

President Macron; Democrat spinner or romantic spender?

In case anyone's confused/forgotten, I do anagrams.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    Pong said:

Trump sacks Comey.

Investigation getting too close ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    Anecdote: when I visited Witney on the day of the by-election, I was almost run over by someone in a rickshaw outside a pub in the town centre. I found out later it was being driven by Bernie Sanders' brother, who was the Green candidate at the by-election.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

At least the CPS news hitting tomorrow will prevent weeks of 'Just wait and see what impact the damning CPS news has' hope and speculation. There may be some movement in the days after, probably small, and after a week we'll know if it has any traction as a story and can move on or build into our expectations.

I have wondered why the Tories have been so quiet on Jezza and John the Marxist's back story. I wonder if they have deliberately not fired up the Shit Pumping machine until this decision has been announced?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

If the Lib Dems have any sense, they should focus on Southwark & Bermondsey and the SW London marginals, not this one.
    I can see Hoey doing better with the average Vauxhall voter than her own party members here :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/nprkelly/status/862064611738230785
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pong said:

Thing is, the centre isn't low tax.

It's not triple lock - or at least not for everyone....

I suppose that you do realise that the triple lock is currently a Corbyn/McDonnell commitment for the next parilament, but not a Tory one?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Trump sacks Comey.

I am sure Yokel will be along shortly with some thoughts. Probably just a bit busy at the moment whacking out some margheritas and Hawaiians.
  • Options
    "President Trump acted on the clear recommendation of his willing tools..."
  • Options
    *I make a noise that suspiciously sounds like 'The Saturday Night Massacre'*
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,300

Ishmael_Z said:

Only 5%? So not as bad as it's made out to be?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Repeat post for the evening audience. I beg the moderators' indulgence...

Don Valley Update

Hello everyone, and thanks for the many messages of support both on here and via other communication channels! Canvassing has been encouraging so far though there is a 9,000 vote mountain to climb.

A number of you have asked how to help or donate...

Help - locally or phone canvassing: sign-up here
    Donate: via Crowdfunder here: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/aaron-bell-for-don-valley

If you are considering donating over £100 please let me know privately and we can take it via BACS. All donations over £50 will be checked against the electoral roll for eligibility.

For updates follow me on Twitter or like my Facebook page.

Thanks again.

"We met some wonderful residents and Conservatives"

:smiley:

I shall have words with my agent. Not the most felicitous phrasing :D
    My cousin started a speech at his father's wedding anniversary with "Ladies, Gentlemen and friends of my father".

As his father was still a serving cabinet minister there were some rather surprised looks...
  • Options
    Wow, wonder what the hush money is like. Comey will be enjoying his firing in the Bahamas I guess.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Wow, wonder what the hush money is like. Comey will be enjoying his firing in the Bahamas I guess.

Lifetime free stays at any Trump hotel or resort...
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It was banned to piss off rich country folk, not save foxes.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    NikNak said:

Adrian Trett

I'm confused. What has Adrian got to do with anything? (He's a mate of mine.) If it's the Lib Dem candidate in Vauxhall you are after, it's George Turner.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"The FBI is one of our Nation's most cherished and respected institutions and today... I want to change all that."
  • Options
    ThePondererThePonderer Posts: 23
    Assuming the CPS decision on Wednesday results in a candidate/candidates standing down - the deadline for them to withdraw their nomination and for someone else to be nominated is 4pm on Thursday (May 11). So may be some interesting chopping and changing in that period in between.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

"The FBI is one of our Nation's most cherished and respected institutions and today... I want to change all that."
    How much is missing in that "..."? :p
  • Options
    Welcome ponderer
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MrsB said:

NikNak said:

Adrian Trett

I'm confused. What has Adrian got to do with anything? (He's a mate of mine.) If it's the Lib Dem candidate in Vauxhall you are after, it's George Turner.
    I had earlier commented on the distinctive name of the 2015 candidate Adrian Hyyrylainen-Trett. NikNak was saying Hyyrylainen is his husbands name?
  • Options
    Who would have thought there'd be so much value backing Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party this election !
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It was banned to piss off rich country folk, not save foxes.
    Yes, that was my father's reason to ban it.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Ishmael_Z said:

It proves how useless it is as a control method. It is argued against on the grounds that it is an unnecessarily cruel 'sport' for those unlucky 5% of foxes, not because it is actually culling our fox population.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Comey's firing by Trump is a day late and a dollar short.

Trump knows what is coming and unless this frightens a lot of people into backing off, then its all too late.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    kle4 said:

MrsB said:

NikNak said:

Adrian Trett

I had earlier commented on the distinctive name of the 2015 candidate Adrian Hyyrylainen-Trett. NikNak was saying Hyyrylainen is his husbands name?
    OK - being busy with election work, didn't have time to read whole thread.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Comey's firing by Trump is a day late and a dollar short.

Trump knows what is coming and unless this frightens a lot of people into backing off, then its all too late.

Hope you're correct. There's a strong whiff of bananas coming from the republic.

• Options
    On Fox Hunting, I'm against on balance. It's a definite English tradition but when you get down to it it's also pretty barbaric.

More to the point it's a massive waste of parliamentary time.
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    williamglenn

'It can't be long until we get stories trailing a potential 'government of all the talents' to work together to get the best Brexit deal. Liam Fox out, Peter Mandelson in.'

A joke right?

Mandelson has already said he would just hand the €60 billion over to the EU without any negotiation.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Just seen SkyBets 80/1 on UK nul points, but probably better value is UK last place at 20/1
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It proves how useless it is as a control method. It is argued against on the grounds that it is an unnecessarily cruel 'sport' for those unlucky 5% of foxes, not because it is actually culling our fox population.
    It deliberately sustains the fox population. They're 'culled' for fun. Otherwise they have to be protected, or led to extinction. It's a tough call.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AndyJS said:

Anecdote: when I visited Witney on the day of the by-election, I was almost run over by someone in a rickshaw outside a pub in the town centre. I found out later it was being driven by Bernie Sanders' brother, who was the Green candidate at the by-election.

I thought that sounded a bit strange so Googled it and yes there it is, my apologies for doubting you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Sanders_(politician)
  • Options

How does this compare to TSE's leaflet delivery tips?

https://twitter.com/dollytheis/status/855388277104365568

I see she's skimped on the gold on her signet ring....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

I can see Hoey doing better with the average Vauxhall voter than her own party members here :p
    Unfortunately for the fragrant Dolly, Kate Hoey is one of very few Labour MPs that will get tactical votes from Leaver Tories against the Lib Dems. I'm sure she'll have fun standing though.
  • Options

Craig Mackinlay has a nervous few months ahead
  • Options
    NikNak said:

is his real name. His first half of his double barrelled name is his husband's

Then it's part of his "real name"

Unless you are suggesting his husband should be airbrushed out for some reason?
  • Options
    NikNak said:

is his real name. His first half of his double barrelled name is his husband's

Then it's part of his "real name"

Unless you are suggesting his husband should be airbrushed out for some reason?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Skybet appears to me to have it at 80/1, what am I missing?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Trump fires FBI's Comey

Misleading Congress is a biggie
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Fat_Steve said:

Mortimer said:

Fat_Steve said:

GIN1138 said:

Ave_it said:

Fat Steve/moderators - are we having a London pre election PB social event?

If there is a meet up let's hope nobody gets banned over it this time! :open_mouth:

And yes, I'm well thanks. :smiley:
    Good reminder Ave _ It - Thanks

I'll have a think about Venues - DDs has been pretty poor the last couple of times, so I want somewhere central, accessible, and with reasonable volume (not thumping music) - and bookable without a big admin headache. I'll have a think. - But if anyone else has an idea and wants to contact Mike, I'd equally be happy for that to happen.
    Good plan Steve. I'd be up for attending if I can. Truckles were very amenable - don't the same people have another branch near St James?
    Very possible.
    (hint - should anyone wish to take up the mantle of "Unofficial Drinks Organiser" I am happy to pass it on. Best get official clearance).
    I haven't been before but i would love to pop my cherry in an election year !
    I turned up for the 2015 election meet with a girlfriend but never actually managed to put profile names to faces - the japanese party downstairs looked interesting though. It was a good night - especially the result!
This discussion has been closed.