Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Good news for those those who took the 5/1 PB tip that Trump w

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,712

FF43 said:

I think Philip Hammond is safe-ish. Surprisngly so. Those interested in modern Chinese history will see the Conservative Party is in full Maoist Cultural Revolution mode. Hammond is the Zhou Enlai figure who ensured the trains kept running through the chaos.

Hammond is not what we need now. He has a view of Brexit, quite possibly the right one, which means he will never have the freedom he needs to do the job he wants to do. Remain lost the referendum and should get out of the way. Johnson and Gove should be left to deliver the sunlit Brexit uplands with no downsides they promised, Fox should be lining up all the fantastic FTAs we were promised would be ready for the day of EU departure; and they should be held to account if they fail.

I disagree. You have to deal with the world you live in, which surely is the Remainer philosophy? Zhou Enlai was China's most popular politician because he kept the show on the road, although he was a very slippery personality.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,287

rcs1000 said:

OK so he threatens world peace. But have to admit that the Trump Presidency has been hugely entertaining. I assumed that he would at least try to grow into the role (nope) or appoint sensible advisors (nope)

Whoever was President now would have to deal with the legacy of the hugely unentertaining Barack Obama: a nuclear armed North Korea.

"Another shit sandwich, Mister/Madam President?"

As it happens, I doubt Presdient Clinton would have said much different to Trump. She was always quite hawkish. But obviously had little sway for the previous eight years.
    As a matter of interest, what should President Obama have done to prevent North Korea from getting nuclear weapons?
    The simple truth is that Obama was early on seen as a toothless lightweight, a President who could be relied on to never get truly tough. Trump may be crazy, but he is crazy in a way you can't ignore. He has alluded to using his own nukes. And now China has started applying economic sanctions on North Korea. Coincidence?
    Do you think Osama Bin Laden was of that view before his body was dumped in the ocean having been seized in a military operation done in a "friendly" country without the local government's knowledge and consent?
  • Options

Roger said:

It seems the UKIP element of the Conservative Party have now entered their McCarthyist phase We got the first hint from Iain Dale yesterday but now it's been taken up by the Mail and the the right wing faction within the Tory Party.

Philip Hammond is likely to be the first to go but after him expect those who aren't idealogically pure to fall like skittles. The UK brand is being trashed at an astonishing rate and ignoring the politics it's very sad to see..

Punishing the innocent is fairly normal at this stage in a project.

The revolution will eat itself. The country has to wake up in a pool of vomit in piss stained trousers before it can sober up to the realities of Brexit. It has to hit rock bottom for reality to bite.

The Brexit revolution won't be complete until remainers have been stripped of their civil rights and reduced to a helot style servile underclass
    Just a couple of Mail headlines away from rocks thrown through the windows of Aldi & Lidl, Anna Soubry & Gina Miller paraded through the streets, heads shaven, Parris & Cleggy strung up. What larks.
    Well, when there is no more GOT until 2019 what are the alternatives?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

I always liked that Cameron and Osborne seemed in lockstep. Even if didn't like what they were doing, they seemed like a genuine team.

It was so refreshing not having to worry about or second guess or try to read the tealeaves about what was happening behind the closed doors of No. 10. That counted for a lot, nationally, I'd warrant.

Now? Well at least with Blair/Brown it was only Blair/Brown. Now it is everyone.
    The problem is a small number of MPs and a larger group of the media who are in Stop-Brexit-At-Any-Cost mode. They’re showing little sign of giving up - even if their crusade ultimately ends in a no-deal crash out of the EU.
    Their legacy will not be to prevent Brexit, but ultimatley only to inflict a weaker financial settlement for the UK. Trying to tie our negtiators' hands may leave them with a smug self-satisfaction, but it is a dumb thing to do.

They really need to think "WTF are they doing....?"
    As do the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Roger said:

It seems the UKIP element of the Conservative Party have now entered their McCarthyist phase We got the first hint from Iain Dale yesterday but now it's been taken up by the Mail and the the right wing faction within the Tory Party.

Philip Hammond is likely to be the first to go but after him expect those who aren't idealogically pure to fall like skittles. The UK brand is being trashed at an astonishing rate and ignoring the politics it's very sad to see..

The revolution will eat itself. The country has to wake up in a pool of vomit in piss stained trousers before it can sober up to the realities of Brexit. It has to hit rock bottom for reality to bite.

The Brexit revolution won't be complete until remainers have been stripped of their civil rights and reduced to a helot style servile underclass
    My ticket out is on standby ....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I think Philip Hammond is safe-ish. Surprisngly so. Those interested in modern Chinese history will see the Conservative Party is in full Maoist Cultural Revolution mode. Hammond is the Zhou Enlai figure who ensured the trains kept running through the chaos.

Hammond is not what we need now. He has a view of Brexit, quite possibly the right one, which means he will never have the freedom he needs to do the job he wants to do. Remain lost the referendum and should get out of the way. Johnson and Gove should be left to deliver the sunlit Brexit uplands with no downsides they promised, Fox should be lining up all the fantastic FTAs we were promised would be ready for the day of EU departure; and they should be held to account if they fail.

I disagree. You have to deal with the world you live in, which surely is the Remainer philosophy? Zhou Enlai was China's most popular politician because he kept the show on the road, although he was a very slippery personality.

The Maoists have won. Their theories must be tested to destruction. It is the will of the people.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Your morning tweet to remind you that far too many Leavers are batshit mental:

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/918359682963603456

And the alternative view

https://twitter.com/joewatts_/status/918372494536560640

How long can we continue with the cabinet in open warfare via the press?
    Either a challenge is made to may soon after someone is fired, or she manages to defeat them and the endless briefings stop after a reshuffle. Hard to see the latter happening, everyone is mouthing off.
    Increasingly it looks like either Hammond or Boris will have to be fired and with the latter the more popular of the two with Tory members and voters it looks like it will have to be the Chancellor, Michael Fallon would be a good replacement and a reshuffle could also promote some promising younger MPs.
    Sacking Hammond will be the cue for open revolt by Tory remainers. May won't last 5 minutes.
    80% of Tory voters and members are now Leavers, as are a clear majority of Tory MPs now too if Tory Remainer MPs try and launch a vote of no confidence in May and she loses it she would be replaced by a Leaver like Davis or Boris and they would lose a Remainer PM
    A leadership election with Hammond v Any Leaver in the final ballot, and the Leaver ought to win easily. But if it was Loathsome again, perhaps not...
    Leadsom won't get anywhere near the final 2 this time although if she did even she would beat Hammond amongst the membership
    Don't knock Leadsom - she's a mother remember
    And we're all goodass motherlikers here.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Divvie, please, don't make me say it twice.

Be nice.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

The Maoists have won. Their theories must be tested to destruction. It is the will of the people.
    Yes, because Brexit is just like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution.

Just listen to yourself! Some perspective is required.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    RoyalBlue said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

I always liked that Cameron and Osborne seemed in lockstep. Even if didn't like what they were doing, they seemed like a genuine team.

It was so refreshing not having to worry about or second guess or try to read the tealeaves about what was happening behind the closed doors of No. 10. That counted for a lot, nationally, I'd warrant.

Now? Well at least with Blair/Brown it was only Blair/Brown. Now it is everyone.
    Yes - I think it's wise for leaders to pick a chancellor who is personally very loyal.
    That's why I think choosing McDonnell was a wise decision for Corbyn... even though someone like Angela Eagle was better qualified.
    Angela Eagle? Really? That's like suggesting you get somebody from Norfolk as Chancellor, becuase they have more fingers to count on...
    She'd been a Minister at the Treasury before, been Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, member of Treasury Select Committee, worked at the CBI as well as some trade unions, studied PPE... she is very qualified.
    So no practical experience of working for an organisation that has to survive in a competitive market. Great.
    The CBI is an organization that has to survive in a competitive market.
    There are other groups claiming to represent British business such as the FSB, IOD, British Chambers of Commerce and probably many others I don't know...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Fox should be lining up all the fantastic FTAs we were promised would be ready for the day of EU departure; and they should be held to account if they fail.

https://twitter.com/ftwestminster/status/918311893886005248
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Yes - I think it's wise for leaders to pick a chancellor who is personally very loyal.
    That's why I think choosing McDonnell was a wise decision for Corbyn... even though someone like Angela Eagle was better qualified.
    Angela Eagle? Really? That's like suggesting you get somebody from Norfolk as Chancellor, becuase they have more fingers to count on...
    She'd been a Minister at the Treasury before, been Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, member of Treasury Select Committee, worked at the CBI as well as some trade unions, studied PPE... she is very qualified.
    https://www.ft.com/content/09dd1fcc-fba3-334e-ac3e-901a38391599 - Angela Eagle hasn't got a clue.
    qualified =/= predicting the financial crisis =/= having a clue.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Everyone just needs to shut up and let the negotiation teams do their job without a minute-by-minute commentary. It’s going to be difficult enough for them to get through everything in the timescale anyway.

It's impossible for them to get through everything, and it is not unpatriotic to say so
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Roger said:

You are not hoping to fly out of the country on Liberation Day are you? No planes. Coracles will be the way to cross the Irish Sea, just like St Columba.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RoyalBlue said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

So no practical experience of working for an organisation that has to survive in a competitive market. Great.
    And the Labour party doesn't fit that description because...? Lab hold Wallasey may not be a seat of the pants, down to the wire result, but standing against Corbyn took guts.

Also, could some "never had a real job" theorist please put up a list of real jobs, or failing that some kind of flowchart thingy so that we can identify them ourselves?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2017
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

The problem is a small number of MPs and a larger group of the media who are in Stop-Brexit-At-Any-Cost mode. They’re showing little sign of giving up - even if their crusade ultimately ends in a no-deal crash out of the EU.
    Their legacy will not be to prevent Brexit, but ultimatley only to inflict a weaker financial settlement for the UK. Trying to tie our negtiators' hands may leave them with a smug self-satisfaction, but it is a dumb thing to do.

Indeed. It’s an extraordinary situation that, as Britain goes through the most difficult negotiation in decades, so many Britons in the media give the impression of trying to actively sabotage the proceedings or to play for the other team.

Everyone just needs to shut up and let the negotiation teams do their job without a minute-by-minute commentary. It’s going to be difficult enough for them to get through everything in the timescale anyway.
    What an unpleasant post.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
    It is too soon to say.
  • Options
    You have to laugh at May. She's berated for not having the strength to bin off Boris and the nutter wing. Now she's berated for not binning off Hammond and the realist wing. meanwhile as one maniac and the other claws at the steering wheel whilst the driver coughs her way through another "I am in charge of steering" statement the UK Titanic continues to plow on towards the Iceberg without even an attempt to steer around it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
    It is too soon to say.
    The story about that comment being about the student riots in the late 60s rather than the French revolution itself was one of the most disappointing ones I have read on here. Some things you just want to be true.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Scott_P said:

Fox should be lining up all the fantastic FTAs we were promised would be ready for the day of EU departure; and they should be held to account if they fail.

Fox’s department has 3,450 employees?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_P said:

Bring back Werritty!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Roger said:

You are not hoping to fly out of the country on Liberation Day are you? No planes. Coracles will be the way to cross the Irish Sea, just like St Columba.
    And the custom check delays on those coracles will be fearsome indeed. Apparently.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
    It is too soon to say.
    :smile:
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

https://www.ft.com/content/09dd1fcc-fba3-334e-ac3e-901a38391599 - Angela Eagle hasn't got a clue.
    qualified =/= predicting the financial crisis =/= having a clue.
    Sneering at the idea there might be a housing crisis and a recession immediately before they happened, as a housing minister, doesn't suggest she'd make a success of being shadow chancellor.
    She had to be imposed on her local party because they didn't want her as their parliamentary candidate. She's a perfect example of New Labour myopia, and always slavishly followed Brown. A perfect example of how the Blair-Brown conflict boosted factionalists rather than talent.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited October 2017

It is too soon to say.

:D
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Roger said:

How disappointing. I was looking forward to manning the trebuchet at Dover with Casino and Sean Fear to send Remainers to the continent as quickly as possible!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    DavidL said:

The story about that comment being about the student riots in the late 60s rather than the French revolution itself was one of the most disappointing ones I have read on here. Some things you just want to be true.

"Too soon to say" is a remark that is totally in character for Zhou Enlai. He famously didn't have an opinion on anything, which is how he survived.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rkrkrk said:

One quick thought on the Hammond replacement speculation...

Jeremy Hunt. His conversion to Brexit seems well-timed.
    I wonder if he is angling to get a more senior job, or to go for the leadership itself?

Hunt is also trying to sort out the GP shortage -- including by recruiting foreign doctors, ironically.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41590429

Worth a nibble at 100/1 next PM and 66/1 next leader (Boyles; 50/1 generally) imo because Hunt can inherit the safe pair of hands monicker from Hammond or Fallon, with less baggage.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
    It is too soon to say.
    Yes my world altered irreversibly following that revelation (not revolution).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Indeed. It’s an extraordinary situation that, as Britain goes through the most difficult negotiation in decades, so many Britons in the media give the impression of trying to actively sabotage the proceedings or to play for the other team.

Totally agree. How dare anyone point out, for example, that less than a year ago in the House of Commons David Davis promised a final deal with "the exact same benefits" of EU membership as we have now. It is outrageous that he should be reminded that in 2016 he stated: "Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU."

Anyone who points out that the man responsible for negotiating Brexit has a track record of being totally wrong about Brexit is a traitor. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

"Too soon to say" is a remark that is totally in character for Zhou Enlai. He famously didn't have an opinion on anything, which is how he survived.
    God, you're making it worse. We want some Confucian wisdom in these troubled times.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
    It is too soon to say.
    Agreed, from Confucian sage to cautious, humdrum pol in one fell swoop.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    TOPPING said:

They would be sacking Hammond to rid themselves of the last vestiges of their reputation for economic competence.

Rather depends who they replace him with I'd have thought. For my money though I don't expect any of the major offices of state to change hands just yet because doing nothing looks like the least worst option for May.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited October 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

RoyalBlue said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

And the Labour party doesn't fit that description because...? Lab hold Wallasey may not be a seat of the pants, down to the wire result, but standing against Corbyn took guts.

Also, could some "never had a real job" theorist please put up a list of real jobs, or failing that some kind of flowchart thingy so that we can identify them ourselves?
    Standing against Corbyn took guts! They tried to bully him out without an election and changed a number of election rules on the fly to try and stitch it up. Her CLP voted against having her as PPC in the first place and the central party imposed her on the poor sods.

Edit: https://medium.com/@pitt_bob/how-angela-eagle-got-to-be-mp-for-wallasey-e30d4ad9483
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

You have to laugh at May. She's berated for not having the strength to bin off Boris and the nutter wing. Now she's berated for not binning off Hammond and the realist wing. meanwhile as one maniac and the other claws at the steering wheel whilst the driver coughs her way through another "I am in charge of steering" statement the UK Titanic continues to plow on towards the Iceberg without even an attempt to steer around it.

Hammonds major faults seem to be presentation and communication - he is awful and abjectly negative. I can't recall when he last said anything positive about anything.

He needs to go.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It's impossible for them to get through everything, and it is not unpatriotic to say so
    It’s the EU’s timescale, to which the PM indicated some willingness to be flexible. But the EU side don’t do flexibility, which is a large part of what led to the vote to leave in the first place.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

rkrkrk said:

One quick thought on the Hammond replacement speculation...

Jeremy Hunt. His conversion to Brexit seems well-timed.
    I wonder if he is angling to get a more senior job, or to go for the leadership itself?

Hunt is also trying to sort out the GP shortage -- including by recruiting foreign doctors, ironically.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41590429

Worth a nibble at 100/1 next PM and 66/1 next leader (Boyles; 50/1 generally) imo because Hunt can inherit the safe pair of hands monicker from Hammond or Fallon, with less baggage.
    He cannot inherit the "safe pair of hands" from anyone. There is no such leader in the wings.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,004
    edited October 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

And the alternative view

https://twitter.com/joewatts_/status/918372494536560640

How long can we continue with the cabinet in open warfare via the press?
    Either a challenge is made to may soon after someone is fired, or she manages to defeat them and the endless briefings stop after a reshuffle. Hard to see the latter happening, everyone is mouthing off.
    Increasingly it looks like either Hammond or Boris will have to be fired and with the latter the more popular of the two with Tory members and voters it looks like it will have to be the Chancellor, Michael Fallon would be a good replacement and a reshuffle could also promote some promising younger MPs.
    Sacking Hammond will be the cue for open revolt by Tory remainers. May won't last 5 minutes.
    80% of Tory voters and members are now Leavers, as are a clear majority of Tory MPs now too if Tory Remainer MPs try and launch a vote of no confidence in May and she loses it she would be replaced by a Leaver like Davis or Boris and they would lose a Remainer PM
    A leadership election with Hammond v Any Leaver in the final ballot, and the Leaver ought to win easily. But if it was Loathsome again, perhaps not...
    Leadsom won't get anywhere near the final 2 this time although if she did even she would beat Hammond amongst the membership
    Don't knock Leadsom - she's a mother remember
    To be fair to Leadsom I doubt she would have approved the dementia tax, raising the assets kept threshold to £100k maybe but not including the family home in personal care cost liability
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It’s the EU’s timescale

The EU didn't trigger Article 50
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yes, because Brexit is just like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution.

Brexit is indeed a big, buccaneering leap into the unknown - backed by many as a way to deliver a hammer blow to the establishment elite. It is the Cultural Revolution without the killing. No-one knows how it will end. But it must be owned completely by those who claim that it will make the UK a fairer, more prosperous and happier land.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997

The Leavers are going full Interahamwe as their dream turns to ashes before them.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Clearly I am the Zhou Enlai of these Brexit days. I pride myself on how close I am with my opinions.
  • Options
    Norm said:

TOPPING said:

They would be sacking Hammond to rid themselves of the last vestiges of their reputation for economic competence.

Rather depends who they replace him with I'd have thought. For my money though I don't expect any of the major offices of state to change hands just yet because doing nothing looks like the least worst option for May.
    I agree. This government seems to be made up of a series of armed camps. May moving against any of them risks the others combining to remove the PM herself. And each of them probably has enough members to bring down the government in the Commons anyway. Paralysis beckons.

• Options
    Mr. Meeks, you have the subtlety of a drunk Antoninus Caracalla.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Roger said:

I will be out before L-day, but if the worst comes to the worst I only have to steal a light aircraft. My licence may be lapsed, but needs must.... :D
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

So who is our Deng?
    TSE Would probably say Osborne. Sent for a spell of healthy labour on the ES collective farm.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

It’s the EU’s timescale, to which the PM indicated some willingness to be flexible. But the EU side don’t do flexibility, which is a large part of what led to the vote to leave in the first place.
    I think the question right now is actually 'Who are we negotiating with'? Potentially, we might be in the position that there is one one or maybe two holdout states in terms of the ability to move on in the negotiation.

I'd suspect that this would be based on states contributions, because support for the leading party would not necessarily survive if there were a major uplift in 2022 in terms of budgetary contribution. It's domestic politics of the big players outweighing the general good of the EU bloc.

So the holdout is 'Financial contribution' -for which this is a one sided agreement. Not up until 2022, which is a fairly easy calculation and generally accepted by all, but beyond - for which there must be some quid pro quo in terms of the future relationship.
  • Options
    The EU its rules and principles are the Iceberg. The UK is the Titanic, with the loons tearing at the tiller as Captain ZombieMay insists she is in charge. You don't need to worry about the Iceberg they say, it needs to move more than we need to steer around.

Then after the crunch tears a hole below the waterline, watertight doors? Well we can't make them here any more after we "rationalised" industry in favour of more coffee shops. And thanks to the drop in FX and the massive delays and costs getting anything imported from the Iceberg I'm afraid we'll have to sink.

But be assured! We took back control! We no longer have to pay any attention to the Iceberg's "steer around" signs as we triumphantly sink to the bottom.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Scott_P said:

Fox’s department has 3,450 employees?
    No wonder Ryanair has run out of pilots
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

We triggered Article 50. We set the whole thing in motion and threw away the only real advantage we had.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The Leavers are going full Interahamwe as their dream turns to ashes before them.
    Even the Queen is not safe.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/918393800623558656
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Brexit is indeed a big, buccaneering leap into the unknown - backed by many as a way to deliver a hammer blow to the establishment elite. It is the Cultural Revolution without the killing. No-one knows how it will end. But it must be owned completely by those who claim that it will make the UK a fairer, more prosperous and happier land.
    Personally I think the lack of killing of tens of millions makes it a somewhat ridiculous comparison, but I am a Brexiteer after all.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hammonds major faults seem to be presentation and communication - he is awful and abjectly negative. I can't recall when he last said anything positive about anything.

He needs to go.

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

And this is after the revolution...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Totally agree. How dare anyone point out, for example, that less than a year ago in the House of Commons David Davis promised a final deal with "the exact same benefits" of EU membership as we have now. It is outrageous that he should be reminded that in 2016 he stated: "Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU."

Anyone who points out that the man responsible for negotiating Brexit has a track record of being totally wrong about Brexit is a traitor. It's as simple as that.
    The Secretary of State for Leaving the EU will of course be accountable for the final deal that he comes back with. A deal which is still very much under negotiation and will be for the next several months.

My point is that if we are to get anything approaching a good deal, then everyone on both sides needs to calm down the hyperbolic rhetoric and channel their efforts into making the negotiations a success.
  • Options

The EU its rules and principles are the Iceberg. The UK is the Titanic, with the loons tearing at the tiller as Captain ZombieMay insists she is in charge. You don't need to worry about the Iceberg they say, it needs to move more than we need to steer around.

Then after the crunch tears a hole below the waterline, watertight doors? Well we can't make them here any more after we "rationalised" industry in favour of more coffee shops. And thanks to the drop in FX and the massive delays and costs getting anything imported from the Iceberg I'm afraid we'll have to sink.

But be assured! We took back control! We no longer have to pay any attention to the Iceberg's "steer around" signs as we triumphantly sink to the bottom.

That famous interchange between the lighthouse and some US Navy ship also probably apocryphal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

He needs to go.

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

And this is after the revolution...
    I'd like to see more Brest-Litovsk analogies. Peace with Germany or revolutionary war tovarishchi?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Dura_Ace said:

Asking a 91-year old woman to walk backwards in heels down a stepped monument is not on. She very nearly caught a heel doing so last year.

I don't recall her mother laying a wreath - it was always done by an equerry.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,086
    edited October 2017
    I'm not a royalist, but this seems pretty wanky. Perhaps the zeitgeist?

Edit: beaten to it I see!

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Personally I think the lack of killing of tens of millions makes it a somewhat ridiculous comparison, but I am a Brexiteer after all.
    The comparison is probably more acute than you think (within the context of course of it being wholly incomparable).

The deaths came because collective owners lied to the government about their production output. So everyone starved because there was no food as the government thought that all was well in the country.

Of course there was the parallel anti-intellectual movement but the deaths came because no one dared to tell Mao that they were starving to death.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    RochdalePioneers - Appledore is making the watertight doors for the New York Metro.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Dura_Ace said:

Asking a 91-year old woman to walk backwards in heels down a stepped monument is not on. She very nearly caught a heel doing so last year.

Seems perfectly sensible to me for Queen to let Charles do it. She has already said she is cutting back on official stuff and Charles and William will take on more.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

That famous interchange between the lighthouse and some US Navy ship also probably apocryphal.
    Just to point out that the stumbling block in that excellent video was the Irish lighthouse keeper. Bl**dy paddys :D:D
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Indeed. "BMW will tell the German government to do a deal" insist the same experts who keep telling me that all my food industry colleagues are wrong about the catastrophic shock to the supply chain that WTO Brexit means.

And yet ze Germans are preparing for how they keep functioning when MINI and the BMW engine plant are caught on the wrong side of the channel and the food industry is wargaming worst case scenarios about how to keep functioning when the 1/3 of food and ingredients that we import gets stuck.

They tell me its no problem. We declare a tariff free zone and open our borders without checks (truly taking back control from the current situation of open borders without checks...). But its not traffic inbound to the UK thats the problem, its outbound. Because WTO means the EU enforces its external border as it does now elsewhere. Which means massively lengthy and expensive customs checks on the EU side of the border. Which massively back up vehicles on our side which means a lack of vehicles coming back through the other way.

All of this is clear to see. Its what the EU already does. Yet the dipshit brigade keep insisting it can't happen here and that no preparation is needed. Its a level of stupidity that is malfeasance in public office...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

The Secretary of State for Leaving the EU will of course be accountable for the final deal that he comes back with. A deal which is still very much under negotiation and will be for the next several months.

My point is that if we are to get anything approaching a good deal, then everyone on both sides needs to calm down the hyperbolic rhetoric and channel their efforts into making the negotiations a success.
    So, you are not worried that the Secretary of State in whose hands our prosperity lies has, to date, talked total tripe that is demonstrably wrong?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Their to do.

Indeed. team.

In a democracy, it's not the job of journalists or individual citizens to be on a side. If the government wants to shut critics up the best way of doing it is to deliver on the promises about Brexit that have been made. "They need us more than we need them", "They will be desperate for a deal" and "Sunlit uplands with no downsides" were surely not contingent on everyone in the UK getting behind David Davis.

• Options
    Mr. Divvie, no, I think Dunn's just a cretin.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Seems perfectly sensible to me for Queen to let Charles do it. She has already said she is cutting back on official stuff and Charles and William will take on more.
    She’s 91, has said she’ll attend the event but probably doesn’t fancy standing outside for more than an hour on a cold November day.

After a lifetime of gracious service, she deserves to be cut some slack in her nineties.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    HYUFD said:

Macron stole a march on May by inviting Trump to Paris for Bastille Day

No he didn’t. The invitation was long standing and issued and accepted long before either men were elected.

• Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Ah, the Trump State visit, yet another example of May's desperately poor political judgement.

The offer was made too soon, but frankly people lost their head over it, particularly since he's been received similarly in other places.
    Of course he has. He is, for good or ill, the President of the United States for goodness sake.
    As one wag observed, Harvey Weinstein’s career Is finished....unless he decides to run for President....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

She’s 91, has said she’ll attend the event but probably doesn’t fancy standing outside for more than an hour on a cold November day.

After a lifetime of gracious service, she deserves to be cut some slack in her nineties.
    She deserves a retirement.

If she's not able to fulfill her duties anymore she can abdicate and retire.
  • Options

All of this is clear to see. Its what the EU already does. Yet the dipshit brigade keep insisting it can't happen here and that no preparation is needed. Its a level of stupidity that is malfeasance in public office...

We are becoming Michael Moorcock's "Granbretan". We have plenty of deranged policies, now all we need are the animal masks....

There is little point in worrying about Corbyn bringing a revolution that will destroy the UK. The revolutionaries are already in charge and they are busy destroying the UK.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Trainers? Or perhaps some nice flats or ballet pumps?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Second! Like Corbyn, Remain & Yes!

Were you not Remain yourself ?
    I was. I am also a democrat.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, I think a gradual shift of duties to Charles makes sense, and will make it easier for him when he becomes monarch.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    TOPPING said:

The comparison is probably more acute than you think (within the context of course of it being wholly incomparable).

The deaths came because collective owners lied to the government about their production output. So everyone starved because there was no food as the government thought that all was well in the country.

Of course there was the parallel anti-intellectual movement but the deaths came because no one dared to tell Mao that they were starving to death.

It depends whether you see the Great Leap Forward (1958-1962) and the Cultural Revolution (active phase 1966 - 1969) as part of the same movement. There was a reaction in the years between. It's the Cultural Revolution that might be compared with the current situation because it was an elite-led anti-establishment political and cultural revolution (which unlike the current situation involved the murder of several hundred thousand people). The country still functioned after a fashion. The mass starvation resulting in the deaths of tens of millions of people and a halving of the live birth rate was in the Great Leap Forward.

The political consequence of the Cultural Revolution was ultimately reactionary. The key concern of Chinese leaders to this day is that nothing like that should ever happen again. That's the takeaway for us, and even more for the Republican Party post-Trump, I think. They will look for leaders that are as unlike Trump as possible: dull, managerial, ideologically sound.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Their to do.

Indeed. team.

In a democracy, it's not the job of journalists or individual citizens to be on a side. If the government wants to shut critics up the best way of doing it is to deliver on the promises about Brexit that have been made. "They need us more than we need them", "They will be desperate for a deal" and "Sunlit uplands with no downsides" were surely not contingent on everyone in the UK getting behind David Davis.
    Indeed. They’re trying to deliver on their promises and I think they should be allowed to do what they were instructed to via a referendum, without the majority of the Establishment trying to prevent it. (See Clegg, N and Bercow, J for examples downthread).

Maybe we should look to rejoin the EU in the future, I don’t know. But to try and stop us leaving is overriding the expressed will of the people.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Scott_P said:
    Ouch.

Hard brexit costing us £12k per worker by 2030.

What's that in hospitals?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The political consequence of the Cultural Revolution was ultimately reactionary. The key concern of Chinese leaders to this day is that nothing like that should ever happen again. That's the takeaway for us, and even more for the Republican Party post-Trump, I think. They will look for leaders that are as unlike Trump as possible: dull, managerial, ideologically sound.

Tough on Brexit. Tough on the causes of Brexit.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

And she wants to be with her husband who has retired.....what a totally wanky tweet.....
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Simples, she can wear flats.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Dura_Ace said:

What an ridiculous and offensive thing to say. Quite apart from the fact that the Queen has dedicated herself to a lifetime of public service with a work ethic that would put Stakhanov to shame, actually took part in a small way in a war effort and has, I suspect, met more veterans than Tom Newton-Dunn has had hot dinners, I don't see any merit in forcing very old ladies to perform like trained monkeys to satisfy the whims of tabloid journalists.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    Retreating under sustained heavy fire:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/918405928466165760
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

There is little point in worrying about Corbyn bringing a revolution that will destroy the UK. The revolutionaries are already in charge and they are busy destroying the UK.
    Exactly so. The prospect of a Corbyn government might be unnerving but it is nowhere near as frightening as jumping off the cliff with Boris and Theresa.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:
    Very well put. It's not the dogma. It's the implementation. One advantage for such people is that they are never wrong ! It is always someone else's fault!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

It depends whether you see the Great Leap Forward (1958-1962) and the Cultural Revolution (active phase 1966 - 1969) as part of the same movement. There was a reaction in the years between. It's the Cultural Revolution that might be compared with the current situation because it was an elite-led anti-establishment political and cultural revolution (which unlike the current situation involved the murder of several hundred thousand people). The country still functioned after a fashion. The mass starvation resulting in the deaths of tens of millions of people and a halving of the live birth rate was in the Great Leap Forward.

I would see the two as the same elements of that overall, purification movement (and in fact it continued in lesser forms for at least a decade afterwards - witness the campaigns against spiritual pollution and then bourgeois liberalisation).

But yes, the actual starvations came in the GLF. And yes also, today's Chinese leaders are pragmatists, something the West often misunderstands and yes also x2 the last thing they want is a Trump-like ideologue (if indeed you can categorise Trump is such); even Jezza would be too far out there for them.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,086
    edited October 2017
    calum said:
    The old 'unintended offence' weasel worded reverse ferret.

That's enough mustelidae, otter know better. Ed
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stop stealing my posts!
  • Options
    If the Queen’s not up to performing her duties, she should abdicate.

Anyone back under my bridge.
  • Options
    Wow. Unless Tom Clacy got it wrong or things have changed I believe there is a basic rule that a President cannot authorise a nuclear strike without confirmation from a suitable senior official. You'd hope no-one is as crazy as the President...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Trainers? Or perhaps some nice flats or ballet pumps?
    I’ll take a guess that she’s probably not 100% sure of how she’ll be feeling on the day, and given the amount of planning that goes into the service doesn’t want to change anything or generate headlines at the last minute.

She’d rather be happily watching from the balcony than needing a stick or a chair on the street. I imagine this will be first of many engagements which will be planned differently to accommodate HM in her advancing years.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stop stealing my posts!
    As PB’s shoe expert, it was my duty to comment.
  • Options

calum said:

I'm guessing old Tom has never actually served his country so presumably needs to be seen to be more patriotic than those who have and who are very happy indeed with HMQ not being on parade.

cf. PB Leavers desperate to show their patriotic fervour by calling everyone who disagrees with them "traitors".
  • Options
    edited October 2017

calum said:

I think it’s to differentiate intended offence....this is The Sun, after all....
This discussion has been closed.