Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs May has missed an opportunity and it could be costly

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs May has missed an opportunity and it could be costly

It was Abba Eban who said of the Palestinians that “they never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity.” However true this may or may not be of the Palestinians, it is certainly true of Mrs May. One Cabinet resignation does not have to lead to a full-scale reshuffle, of course, particularly if the PM cannot be certain how many of the possible candidates have been guilty of knee touching, knee tremblers or any other variety of sexual activity. But however fearful she may have been of instigating a reshuffle, when presented with the opportunity for one, why the craven timidity? Well, we can all guess why: fear for her job, a loss of confidence ever since her ill-fated General Election gamble, an unwillingness to trust outside a small circle and, probably most important of all, a failure to grasp two important lessons from the election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited November 2017
    First!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Second!
  • Options
    You had me at Abba.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    edited November 2017
    Careful - mention of Abba Eban without concomitant condemnation will bring @Roger out in a muck sweat.
  • Options
    Great header, thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I find myself amazed at thinking that Marx may well have had a point. In its current state, I am not sure our political system is fixable. It may very well need to be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

You had me at Abba.

S.O.S? Or "Lay all your love on me"?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You had me at Abba.

The 2nd one is now banned. Kindly report yourself to Purity Control :D
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You had me at Abba.

Waterloo or Dancing Queen.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You had me at Abba.

Ah.... Take a Chance on Me.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You had me at Abba.

Love isn't Easy (But it Sure is Hard Enough). Coming to a Parliament near you.
  • Options
    Very good article and I was really hoping that Fallon and even Green going would open a window for inspired choice of successors. TM failed the test and, as generally a sympathetic supporter in all her troubles, this has disappointed me
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You had me at Abba.

Ah.... Take a Chance on Me.
    When All Is Said And Done, you will soon be Under Attack
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Is that David Lidington with the awesome nose? I'd never noticed it in profile.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    It would be interesting to have some polling on this new sexual puritanism.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You had me at Abba.

Love isn't Easy (But it Sure is Hard Enough). Coming to a Parliament near you.
    I think the ones in trouble are knowing me knowing you.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I find myself amazed at thinking that Marx may well have had a point. In its current state, I am not sure our political system is fixable. It may very well need to be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up.

This does feel like the farcical repeat of the Major administration, although I recall that as being pretty farcical too.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Quick braintrust question - how much is a decent amount of spending money for someone of modest means about to go on holiday in China for 10 days?

Whereabouts in China are you going ?

You'll need more in a 5* hotel in Hong Kong compared to a hostel in Kunming..
    It's a standard tour deal to beking, shanghai and xian, nice but not fancy hotels I imagine. I'm thinking just how much cash is generally advisable.

brendan16 said:

Yorkcity said:

It was much easier in the last parliament , when you could sack someone for a tweet showing a picture of an England flag.

I think the point in that case was that the shadow foreign secretary was sneering and looking down her nose at people who displayed England flags on their homes.
    Or was she?
    I think she was, although I didn't think she deserved the sack for it.
    stevef said:

I believe there is a massive reconstruction of parties that will come if Corbyn gets his hands on power. It will be the end of the Labour Party. And no, it will not be a rebirth of the Lib Dems -they toxified themselves tenfold in the coalition. But there will be a new party.

People predicting a reconstruction like that, well, it sounds a good idea but I just cannot see it.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    edited November 2017
    Pong said:

There's a poll up on the Yougov website, which shows very big differences in peoples' views over what constitutes some forms of sexual harassment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    I wonder how Abba Eban would have fared today, with his jokes, such as "There's no business like Shoah business."
  • Options
    How much of the tory vote is a not Corbyn vote? Important question. My total guess is it is worth a few percent, but in the right place that can be crucial.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Which is what the Brexiteer Leninists are clearly about. Destroy everything in the hope that something better will arise in its place.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

How much of the tory vote is a not Corbyn vote? Important question. My total guess is it is worth a few percent, but in the right place that can be crucial.

I suspect another key factor will be how the LDs and SNP react to the question of whether they would support Corbyn in minority situation.

Vote Cable/Sturgeon, Get Corbyn might well swing some votes.
  • Options
    Can you be reported now for listening to Rock and Roll ( part 1 & 2 ) ?
  • Options

Which is what the Brexiteer Leninists are clearly about. Destroy everything in the hope that something better will arise in its place.
    It is not necessarily Brexit, although that plays its part. The internal devolution mess is not really sorted out either, the Boundary Reviews mess, the Upper House needs sorting, etc.

We seem to have a collection of shambles.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Can you be reported now for listening to Rock and Roll ( part 1 & 2 ) ?

I wonder about the literally seminal song 'I Touch Myself' by The Divinyls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

I had no idea about this song until it was mentioned on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.
  • Options
    Pong said:

It is not really Sexual Puritanism. It is more like "Can you please stop sexually harrassing me?"
  • Options
    Blimey: I'm being quoted by journalists now....... I need to lie down.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

During my first stint as guest editor back in 2012, I had no idea how well I was doing, then John Rentoul tweeted a few of my pieces, and I thought, yup, I'm doing well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,207
    And yet and yet. If they can keep the show on the road somehow, play the long game, get past Brexit without imploding and then select a leader with some popular appeal, I can quite see the tories winning the next GE. They only need a dozen more seats and they will probably be facing someone who I got the strong sense was peaking when he headlined Glastonbury. On the betting, you can lay JC at 5/1 on BF for 'next PM after May' and that IMO is a great trade. You lose only if (i) May leads the tories into the next GE and (ii) she loses it to Corbyn. That double I make more like 12/1.
  • Options
    That is slightly over-stating things by the Greens (quelle surprise)

At 16 you can't get married in England without parental consent. The same applies to joining the Army.

So the top two things on their list, you can't do without your parents agreeing.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Pong said:

It is not really Sexual Puritanism. It is more like "Can you please stop sexually harrassing me?"
    I was being provocative ;)

The polling is the interesting thing.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    kinabalu said:

And yet and yet. If they can keep the show on the road somehow, play the long game, get past Brexit without imploding and then select a leader with some popular appeal, I can quite see the tories winning the next GE. They only need a dozen more seats and they will probably be facing someone who I got the strong sense was peaking when he headlined Glastonbury. On the betting, you can lay JC at 5/1 on BF for 'next PM after May' and that IMO is a great trade. You lose only if (i) May leads the tories into the next GE and (ii) she loses it to Corbyn. That double I make more like 12/1.

Good betting post.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    kinabalu said:

Matt Singh posted some interesting graphs of approval this morning.

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/926423815478968322

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/926428161482592258
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kinabalu said:

And yet and yet. If they can keep the show on the road somehow, play the long game, get past Brexit without imploding

Hold on, I think I see a problem. Yes, right there...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

At 16 you can't get married in England without parental consent. The same applies to joining the Army.

So the top two things on their list, you can't do without your parents agreeing.

So perhaps they should get the vote, but only if their parents agree?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And yet and yet. If they can keep the show on the road somehow, play the long game, get past Brexit without imploding and then select a leader with some popular appeal, .

But the chances of them being able to do any of those things, let alone all of them, is very slim indeed.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

kle4 said:

I suspect another key factor will be how the LDs and SNP react to the question of whether they would support Corbyn in minority situation.

They tried it last time and more. In Scotland, in many seats, the Tories will be hoping that those voting SNP keep on voting SNP. About 20 seats could go Labour from the SNP with 3.5% swing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

And yet and yet. If they can keep the show on the road somehow, play the long game, get past Brexit without imploding

What's to stop Labour imploding over the same issue? Fact is, a heck of a lot of Labour voters voted to Leave. Corbyn knows he has to keep them on side to win the next election, even if it means going against the wishes of most of his core of supporters and wider party membership.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Let's just move everything up to 18 - much easier then.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

They tried it last time and more. In Scotland, in many seats, the Tories will be hoping that those voting SNP keep on voting SNP. About 20 seats could go Labour from the SNP with 3.5% swing.
    It would have to be a more nuanced approach - constituency by constituency. But as the Corbyn threat is now greater than it was - given the exceeding of expectations this year - we will see action in this sort of way.
  • Options

I had no idea about this song until it was mentioned on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

"It was terrible. I moped over you for months. Sitting in my room listening to that Divinyls song "I Touch Myself". Of course, I had no idea what it was about"

• Options
    Indeed, Miss Cyclefree. May, yet again, had an opportunity and screwed it up.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kyf_100 said:

What's to stop Labour imploding over the same issue? Fact is, a heck of a lot of Labour voters voted to Leave. Corbyn knows he has to keep them on side to win the next election, even if it means going against the wishes of most of his core of supporters and wider party membership.

That's a reasonable question, except Labour should have imploded multiple times since Corbyn took over and hasn't.

Members will keep voting for the myth they have invested in the man, and voters will keep voting for the brand.

Neither of them need to measure up to reality, apparently.
  • Options
    If I may point out to the Green Party that 5 year olds spending their pocket money on chocolate or ice cream or crisps pay tax.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Sean_F said:

Pong said:

There's a poll up on the Yougov website, which shows very big differences in peoples' views over what constitutes some forms of sexual harassment.
    Thanks. Really interesting.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/6use40wjdi/SexualHarassment_Oct17.pdf

It's frustratingly heterosexual. Female on male harassment questions are absent, too.

Pong wantz proppa data.

A full UK sexual attitudes survey would be awesome.
  • Options

Two days from November the Fifth and you use Marx to exemplify radical parliamentary reform!! Did Michael Gove's reform of the history syllabus die in vain?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

Labour voters are not generally as obsessive about the EU as many Tories. To many Labour leavers their loyalty to Labour trumps their support for leave. It's hardly the world's most closely guarded secret that :Labour favours a much softer approach to Brexit than the Tories.
  • Options

If I may point out to the Green Party that 5 year olds spending their pocket money on chocolate or ice cream or crisps pay tax.

Perhaps I ought to tell my 5 year old nephew that a "Mars a day helps you work, rest and pay for your education."
  • Options

Two days from November the Fifth and you use Marx to exemplify radical parliamentary reform!! Did Michael Gove's reform of the history syllabus die in vain?
    Michael Gove was probably still in short trousers when I last did history in school....
  • Options
    Mr. Pong, that's unsurprising, yet also rather depressing.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Good header CycleFree:

twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/926459965358903301

You are one of the Establishment now. We may need to start attacking you......

:D:D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

This is part of my proposal (or at least option for discussion). Give everyone a vote, but have parents exercise it on their behalf until 18/16 (a half-vote each guardian - a full vote if sole custody).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

That's a reasonable question, except Labour should have imploded multiple times since Corbyn took over and hasn't.

Members will keep voting for the myth they have invested in the man, and voters will keep voting for the brand.

Neither of them need to measure up to reality, apparently.
    Fair point.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

This is part of my proposal (or at least option for discussion). Give everyone a vote, but have parents exercise it on their behalf until 18/16 (a half-vote each guardian - a full vote if sole custody).
    Are you serious? I do not believe giving parents/guardians an extra vote is the way to improve democracy.

18 is a perfectly acceptable age to take on adult responsibilities. I would be quite content to see that extend to most if not all of the things in the Green list.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

tlg86 said:

Wait, that gives parents too many votes :)
  • Options

How so Morris ? I think upto now May has done very well over all the current allegations.It must be difficult to ascertain the veracity of all the allegations.
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: for what it's worth, I've made some early bets with small stakes.

My view is that the Renault engine is critical. If it's on song next year then Alonso at 12 each way (Ladbrokes, odds boosted [weirdly, this is also working for each way bets]) is the best value by a mile. Also backed Vandoorne at 81 each way on the basis that Australia tends to be good for McLaren and whilst he's unlikely to be on terms with Alonso, that equates to 17 to be top 3, which is possible.

I've also backed Bottas at 16 each way. If it's Mercedes versus Ferrari, or if reliability of the Renault is as poor as this year, he's almost nailed on to be top 3 at 4 (as with Vandoorne, that's fifth the odds for top 3).

The short odds on Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo do not appeal. If Hamilton wins, the Bottas bet is likely to come off at better odds. If Renault step up their game, McLaren are far better value than Red Bull.

If/when the Constructors' comes up I'll look at Red Bull, as their driver pairing is the most balanced. It'll be them or Mercedes, in my view.
  • Options
    Mr. City, there's a need for fresh blood.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Can’t pilot a glider without parental consent either, if under 18.

3/5 they’ve got wrong.

As well as vote, you can’t buy cigarettes, alcohol or knives, enter a nightclub, a sex shop or a bookmakers, or sign a contact or take out a mortgage until you’re 18.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

How so Morris ? I think upto now May has done very well over all the current allegations.It must be difficult to ascertain the veracity of all the allegations.
    That misses the point. She had a Minister to appoint and chose the wrong one.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    https://twitter.com/richardjgodwin/status/926426315569483776
    Reminds me of Edwina Currie on This Week yesterday.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    tlg86 said:

Or only if they're married soldiers.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

That misses the point. She had a Minister to appoint and chose the wrong one.
    Maybe I do not know.However Michael Portillo said he still has close contact with the conservative party and they told him they were impressed with the new defence secretary.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    In fairness this article may prove to be a little premature. We need to wait to see what the Sunday papers have to say before we conclude that the cabinet is going to be largely unchanged. If May gets past that with no more collateral damage then she can probably struggle on a bit longer.
  • Options

Mr. City, there's a need for fresh blood.

Morris true but the new defence secretary from what I have seen and heard , seems a bright clever person.
  • Options
    It's an interesting header by Cyclefree but Gavin Williamson ticks nearly all of the suggested boxes. He's 41, only entered parliament 7 years ago, sits for a Staffordshire seat, went to a comprehensive school then a northern redbrick University and study Social Science. Superficially he is exactly the sort of demographic and fresh face Ms Cyclefree thinks should be promoted. He has been and has gone down like the Hindenberg is some quarters. So clearly demographic change alone isn't enough.
  • Options

I am much older than Ms Irwin and I don't give a shrug and ignore this stuff. It's too pat to put it like that. Women who worked in the 1960's and 1970's and 1980's had to put up with a lot and there were lots of battles to fight. It is as a result of those battles that women now are in a better position to fight against this sort of stuff because the climate has changed. Those older women also did their bit to change the climate.

I think it's also true that because you had to put up with stuff that you would not tolerate now you developed a thicker skin and got on with it. Choose your battles is wise advice in lots of walks of life. And in calling out the bad behaviour of others, it's important, IMO, not to let the boundaries of your own life be limited by the word "victim" and all that that entails. It's the actions of those who behave badly who should be constrained not your own life.
  • Options
    The Tories have been split over Europe for decades. They could have resolved it by fighting it out amonsgt themselves but no leader had the courage to lead the charge so they decided to split the country instead.
  • Options

She was wearing someone else's teeth IIRC
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Are you serious? I do not believe giving parents/guardians an extra vote is the way to improve democracy.

18 is a perfectly acceptable age to take on adult responsibilities. I would be quite content to see that extend to most if not all of the things in the Green list.
    Well, serious about discussing it. The point of politics is to take decisions now for both the present and the future, informed by the past. The future seems to be underweighted in our present setup.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm certain Rentoul has quoted you before.
  • Options

Ice cream isn't exempt?!

More seriously the arguments are superficially very convincing.
  • Options

It's an interesting header by Cyclefree but Gavin Williamson ticks nearly all of the suggested boxes. He's 41, only entered parliament 7 years ago, sits for a Staffordshire seat, went to a comprehensive school then a northern redbrick University and study Social Science. Superficially he is exactly the sort of demographic and fresh face Ms Cyclefree thinks should be promoted. He has been and has gone down like the Hindenberg is some quarters. So clearly demographic change alone isn't enough.

I think more changes were needed. Not just one. Maybe more will happen as @DavidL suggests. I think the Tories, when they think about the changes needed, are being very complacent indeed.
  • Options
    Labour activist 'felt isolated' over complaint made against MP

Good job corbyn dealt with this swiftly and didn't promote the guy and cover up the complaint....
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price Some demographics have vastly more children that others. Some people can't have children or have lost their children. Your suggestion means some folk will have 10 votes and others 1. You might as well advocate bring back the Property and University franchises. Or weighting voting power by Gross tax contribution. Or age.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602

Yes, but being virtually unknown, and introduced to the public as a calculating backstabber (possibly one of the more polite things that's been said about him), isn't exactly the best of starts - and political reputations get set in stone quite rapidly.
  • Options
    The Conservatives need to ask themselves what they stand for. Right now I can honestly say that I have no idea what they stand for other than hating the EU.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2017

Ah, but this was not the promotion many were looking for. (Happy to reserve judgment myself!)

A very good header, @Cyclefree. We ought to be able to appeal to the younger generation who have grown up in a world full of technological innovation, new marketplaces and multiple careers. They're not hungering for 1970s style unionised jobs-for-life. True, Brexit is a cultural complication: we need to reassure people that we aren't seeking to re-enact the 1950s either.

But we have to communicate properly using the right people. The working assumption was that there would have been a relatively substantial reshuffle, post-May winning a 50+ majority. It can't be postponed much longer, but the present unedifying spectacle may need to be played out first.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    I flew the votes at 16 idea past PB some some months ago and was astonished by the general hostility to the idea. It's in situ and completely uncontroversial in Scotland with even the Conservatives on board.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    kle4 said:

Ice cream isn't exempt?!

More seriously the arguments are superficially very convincing.
    How about 16 to vote in Local & Devolved - then 18 for GE
  • Options

@Tissue_Price Some demographics have vastly more children that others. Some people can't have children or have lost their children. Your suggestion means some folk will have 10 votes and others 1. You might as well advocate bring back the Property and University franchises. Or weighting voting power by Gross tax contribution. Or age.

Four excellent suggestions!
  • Options

I don't think your comparisons are like-for-like at all (age comes closest). I am simply advocating one person = one vote.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Perhaps 16/17 year olds who go out to work and pay tax should get a vote?

• Options

Missing gender, but you can’t win them all I suppose... :D
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    FF43 said:

I flew the votes at 16 idea past PB some some months ago and was astonished by the general hostility to the idea. It's in situ and completely uncontroversial in Scotland with even the Conservatives on board.
    Cocky of Cameron not to use it in the EU referendum. Obviously thought he would win anyway.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Radio r5 introduced their phone in this morning on this with hilarious impartiality...Do you think 16 years should get the vote? Are you a 16 year old who thinks they are being denied their human right by not being allowed to vote...call us now...

Any mention of the other side of the argument in the preamble...Don't be silly.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Perhaps 16/17 year olds who go out to work and pay tax should get a vote?

Or perhaps they shouldn't pay tax.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FF43 said:

You cannot vote but you can die for your country!
  • Options

Radio r5 introduced their phone in this morning on this with hilarious impartiality...Do you think 16 years should get the vote? Are you a 16 year old who thinks they are being denied their human right by not being allowed to vote...call us now in..

Think of those poor 14 year olds who are being denied their human rights...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

But Scotland - almost alone in the world - has always recognised 16 as the age of majority. Almost all other countries have it at 18 (or occasionally more). If they are too young to execute legally-binding contracts, they are too young to vote, it seems to me.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    GIN1138 said:
    Can’t watch the other kind of AV... :p
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    edited November 2017

The Conservatives need to ask themselves what they stand for. Right now I can honestly say that I have no idea what they stand for other than hating the EU.

The things they are supposed to stand for (small state, individual responsibility) are very much out of favour right now and have been since 2008.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    RobD said:

Missing gender, but you can’t win them all I suppose... :D
    It is true that Britain's decline in the world dates from the enfranchisement of women.

[...ducks for cover...]
  • Options
    Rogers mate is in more trouble...

Kevin Spacey: UK police 'investigate sexual assault claim'

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41857327
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,062
    rkrkrk said:

Cocky of Cameron not to use it in the EU referendum. Obviously thought he would win anyway.

Tactically, a big row about the franchise (particularly relating to EU citizens) would have brought to the fore some important issues much earlier and given the campaigns a different complexion, even if ultimately they'd stuck to the current GE format.
This discussion has been closed.