Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Symbols for our time

Comments

• Options
    Sky - Trump seriously considering moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem having given it further thought.

He is a mad man - though I think that is a given
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Arch remaining paper - again remainers fighting their lost campaign
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Brom said:
    Its amazing how party activists always seem to be the ones asking the questions on QT.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Meghan Markle to be baptised, confirmed and become a British citizen before a May wedding at Windsor, Palace say.

I wonder if there’s a special immigration procedure for situations like these, or do they just nod things through?
    I think the Secretary of State has discretionary powers to waive any of the usual requirements. Here in the US it's not unheard of for individuals to be granted Green Cards and even citizenship through private Acts of Congress.
  • Options
    Remainers seem in near panic as we are only days away from agreement to move to trade talks
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

On topic, symbolism is something the British do very well, when we put our minds to it. Our monarchy being almost entirely symbolic, after all.

Look back at our acclaimed 2012 Olympic opening ceremony and that could generate a whole list by itself. HMQ 'jumping' from a helicopter. The Olympic Flame being lit, for the first time not by a veteran competitor, but by a group of young upcoming athletes. Etc.

Much as I abhor Cyclefree's mini-me SeanT agenda when it comes to Islam, on the cartoons and free speech I can see that she does have a point.

I had no views on Islam until I saw that book burning and the reaction to it. Read Christopher Hitchens on the Rushdie fatwa in his autobiography. He sums up pretty well how I felt.

My concerns with Islam stem from my belief that liberal values - such as freedom of thought and speech - are a good end in themselves and matter and I don't want them curtailed or removed because we refuse to be clear-sighted about what it means to have a largely credal culture at odds in certain significant ways with Western liberal values, as - say - set out in the ECHR - living in our midst.

Best summarised in this thread header - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/01/29/angels-and-fools-cyclefree-on-trumps-latest-executive-order/.

Neither do I. But we have to strive to make things better, not worse, starting from where we actually are, not where you might wish that we were.
    Agree entirely. So let's focus on properly integrating those who are here and are citizens. Rather than making the problem potentially very much worse by letting in huge numbers more and making the issue of integration that much harder. And let's ensure that we really do insist on Western values applying to citizens of Western countries by not permitting the spread of, for instance, a legal system which is completely at odds with our laws thus depriving English Muslim women of their rights. For instance.
    To help her integration lets get Harry's future wife to spell her name the Welsh way of Megan instead of the American way of Meghan.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Meghan Markle to be baptised, confirmed and become a British citizen before a May wedding at Windsor, Palace say.

No nuns and no priests and no rosary beads, every day is the twelfth of July.
    My birthday.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

Having undergone my bi lateral hernia operation yesterday morning and then told I had to walk to my lift in the car park I reflected on my hernia operation in 1973 with a ten day stay in the local hospital.

After coming round I was offered unlimited tea and a piece of toast then told to get dressed on my own and the family could collect me. Everyone was delightful and by the time I had reached my lift I felt quite pleased with myself and very definitely good practice. Very sore with lots of pain killers and no driving for two weeks but I was very grateful to all the medical staff even though I waited 65 weeks for the operation in labour's Wales NHS.

The news today of an amazing two months in the Spring should lift the Country though Republicans and the hard left will not be amused.

Early April Katherine's third child is due, the middle week of April is the Commonwealth Heads of State conference in London (lots of trade deals) and then in mid May a wedding in Windsor Castle with Union Jack's everywhere.

Following on a good trade deal with the states will put the icing on the cake

Good news! And back on PB already!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Having undergone my bi lateral hernia operation yesterday morning and then told I had to walk to my lift in the car park I reflected on my hernia operation in 1973 with a ten day stay in the local hospital.

After coming round I was offered unlimited tea and a piece of toast then told to get dressed on my own and the family could collect me. Everyone was delightful and by the time I had reached my lift I felt quite pleased with myself and very definitely good practice. Very sore with lots of pain killers and no driving for two weeks but I was very grateful to all the medical staff even though I waited 65 weeks for the operation in labour's Wales NHS.

The news today of an amazing two months in the Spring should lift the Country though Republicans and the hard left will not be amused.

Early April Katherine's third child is due, the middle week of April is the Commonwealth Heads of State conference in London (lots of trade deals) and then in mid May a wedding in Windsor Castle with Union Jack's everywhere.

I'm glad everything went well, and sorry you had to wait for such a long time. Take it easy!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

My birthday.
    My late sister had rosary beeds though a life long member of the COE. Mind you the COE high church is fairly near to the Catholic Church

I do question some who are suggesting she has no faith. I do not believe anyone can make such a judgement as faith is a personal matter for the individual
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:
    They are barking up the wrong tree if they think they will ever get anywhere under FPTP. They will be hounded from office if they ever try.
  • Options
    Should we put the Sun down as 'undecided'?:

IRELAND’S outspoken premier was left humiliated today by the resignation of his deputy - but fresh Brexit chaos was diverted by the departure to the delight of Downing Street.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5018617/irelands-prime-minister-leo-varadkar-left-humiliated-by-the-resignation-of-his-deputy-frances-fitzgerald-but-fresh-election-avoided/
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

FF43 said:

But David Davis did claim they had 50+ sectoral reports on many occasions. Ministers are being dishonest about about that fact, maybe even misleading you?

"In excruciating detail", as David Davis would say, here:

http://jackofkent.com/2017/11/the-early-history-of-the-58-brexit-sector-analyses/

Your link confirms my point. Ministers repeatedly said they were doing analyses "of over 50 sectors of the economy", with variants of that phrase. They didn't say they had over 50 separate reports.
    I don't get your distinction between "over 50 separate reports" and, say, "57 sets of analyses". Especially as Davis' department hasn't actually handed over 57 sets of analyses.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I'm glad everything went well, and sorry you had to wait for such a long time. Take it easy!
    Thank you - yes I do intend taking it easy but am blessed with a wonderful wife and a fabulous family
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Congrats and welcome back.
  • Options

IRELAND’S outspoken premier was left humiliated today by the resignation of his deputy - but fresh Brexit chaos was diverted by the departure to the delight of Downing Street.

We should put them down as illiterate, since they seem confused by the difference between 'averted' and 'diverted'.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Yes - amazing the surgery is done in a day and back home to recover.
  • Options
    I wish people on tw@tter would stop doing this shit where they post 100 tweets as a "thread". Just write what you are going to say into a text doc, and link it / screenshot it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

My birthday.
    My late sister had rosary beeds though a life long member of the COE. Mind you the COE high church is fairly near to the Catholic Church

I do question some who are suggesting she has no faith. I do not believe anyone can make such a judgement as faith is a personal matter for the individual
    I am not in the C of E, but Confirmation requires a certain amount of instruction and agreement with the Articles of faith. Only God knows whether anyone truly believes them.

My own NonConformist view is that God is not a stickler for paperwork, and that Baptism/Confirmation or their absence is not a dealbreaker.
  • Options

I wish people on tw@tter would stop doing this shit where they post 100 tweets as a "thread". Just write what you are going to say into a text doc, and link it / screenshot it.
    Or join Medium.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:

My birthday.

I am not in the C of E, but Confirmation requires a certain amount of instruction and agreement with the Articles of faith. Only God knows whether anyone truly believes them.

My own NonConformist view is that God is not a stickler for paperwork, and that Baptism/Confirmation or their absence is not a dealbreaker.
    +1
  • Options

Click on it and have a look, it is rather good :)
  • Options

We should put them down as illiterate, since they seem confused by the difference between 'averted' and 'diverted'.
    Maybe they were right after all. Where has the chaos been 'diverted' to one wonders?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you - yes I do intend taking it easy but am blessed with a wonderful wife and a fabulous family
    You can sit on the prom and gaze at the offshore windmills :smile:

I imagine the Llandudno town band has packed up for the winter, unless they want to get frozen to their instruments...
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Welcome back. Glad it all went well.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Done laproscopically?

Best wishes for a full speedy recovery.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    They are barking up the wrong tree if they think they will ever get anywhere under FPTP. They will be hounded from office if they ever try.
    This party is so wrong. If only they had been the 'Larry the Downing Street Cat for PM' then it would romp home.

They could be in coalition with Brian Cox's Rational Quanta Party.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I don't get your distinction between "over 50 separate reports" and, say, "57 sets of analyses". Especially as Davis' department hasn't actually handed over 57 sets of analyses.

A table showing the effect on, say, 20 sectors of manufacturing can appear in one report, and the same report can contain details of consultations with businesses in those 20 sectors. So handing over one report can contain the result of 20 analyses, or more precisely, analysis of 20 sectors, which is the formulation used in nearly all of the ministerial responses which Jack of Kent is so keen to attempt to make political capital of.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Done laproscopically?

Best wishes for a full speedy recovery.
    No - open and thank you to your profession
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    If there’s ‘insufficient progress’ in December, I wonder if May’s joker in the pack could be a referendum on staying in the single market and customs union in Northern Ireland.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Welcome back. Glad it all went well.
    Thank you and glad to be in the recovery phase
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Can't keep a good man down.

I think Welsh rugby needs you!
  • Options

However illiterate the Suns writers may be, their headline writers are in a league of their own.

When a reporter complained how much more they got paid he was despatched to Essex to write about a shortage of library books.

After the story was ready to go to press the editor called him up to see the headline: 'Book Lack in Ongar'......
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

If there’s ‘insufficient progress’ in December, I wonder if May’s joker in the pack could be a referendum on staying in the single market and customs union in Northern Ireland.

Won’t Scotland want one then? And Grimsby?
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. NorthWales. Glad it went well.
  • Options

Maybe they were right after all. Where has the chaos been 'diverted' to one wonders?

I fear it may indeed have been 'diverted' rather than 'averted'.....I'm sure its still out there somewhere.....
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    This party is so wrong. If only they had been the 'Larry the Downing Street Cat for PM' then it would romp home.

Definitely vote dog not cat.

Politicians need to be loyal, obedient and able to bite intruders, not just make themselves comfortable and kill wildlife. Dogs are servants, cats are masters.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I wonder if there’s a special immigration procedure for situations like these, or do they just nod things through?
    No recourse to public funds?
  • Options

Can't keep a good man down.

I think Welsh rugby needs you!
    Thanks but made my eyes water
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    rkrkrk said:

Indeed, it could snowball until people decide they want the whole question of Brexit reopened...
  • Options

+1
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Glad it went well. Best of luck with your recuperation.

And nice to have you back.
    Yes welcome back. Glad to hear it went well
  • Options

Yes thank you but need to be kind to myself for a few weeks
  • Options

"Who said there were going to be 57 more tweets?"

I think the term is 'lol'.

No-one will, mind you.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks - just need recovery time but home is best
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Indeed, it could snowball until people decide they want the whole question of Brexit reopened...
    I think that rather rules it out as an idea for Theresa May then.
    Now could Labour square their circle by offering a referendum on that?
    Perhaps. It would be amusing to rerun the 2015 referendum arguments in reverse...
  • Options
    edited November 2017

"Who said there were going to be 57 more tweets?"

I think the term is 'lol'.

No-one will, mind you.
    I saw the gag, I meant it as a wider point. It is the new "trend" and it is bloody annoying.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

and how better to relax and recover than reading PB threads!!
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    calum said:
    The Telegraph understands that the final figure, which is deliberately being left open to interpretation, will be between €45bn and €55bn.

So lets call it 50bn...so even higher than the 40bn quoted last week.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Politicians need to be loyal, obedient and able to bite intruders, not just make themselves comfortable and kill wildlife. Dogs are servants, cats are masters.
    So cats are the Libertarians of politics? Do what they like, rules don't apply, kill wildlife...
  • Options
    calum said:
    Not a good day for the remainers - we are leaving
  • Options
    calum said:
    Sounds like progress!
    Rumours Big G was not in fact in hospital but instead on a secret diplomatic mission unconfirmed....
  • Options

calum said:
    er, which just leaves Ireland...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Scott_P said:
    Ignore the facts cos you don’t like the source
  • Options
    As an aside - a Brexit figure agreed in euros leaves us on the hook for one helluva exchange rate risk.... or upside I guess if the pound strengthens.
  • Options
    Just about now, someone in Labour HQ is emailing Labour MPs:

Please note our Agreed Position on the Brexit bill has just changed. The previous position of "This Conservative government is risking Britain's economy by refusing to agree the exit bill with the EU, acting as always for the few, not the many." should no longer be used. The new position is "This Conservative government is shamelessly wasting taxpayers' money on the EU exit bill, acting as always for big business, not ordinary people."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
  • Options

Please note our Agreed Position on the Brexit bill has just changed. The previous position of "This Conservative government is risking Britain's economy by refusing to agree the exit bill with the EU, acting as always for the few, not the many." should no longer be used. The new position is "This Conservative government is shamelessly wasting taxpayers' money on the EU exit bill, acting as always for big business, not ordinary people."

Not sure Labour HQ are so quick off the mark.
    Also - they will surely refer to what that money can do in the NHS!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

calum said:
    Sounds like progress!
    Rumours Big G was not in fact in hospital but instead on a secret diplomatic mission unconfirmed....
    I think I may have made a better job than some but big tick for TM if true
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Not sure Labour HQ are so quick off the mark.
    Also - they will surely refer to what that money can do in the NHS!
    I'm available on a zero-hours contract basis if they need a bit of help.
  • Options

calum said:
    We Remainers are completely reconciled to leaving the EU. We just want to see Brexit exposed as an utter disaster so that we're vindicated whilst the Leavers and turncoats like May are humiliated. And so far all that is going swimmingly. Ba ha ha ha!
  • Options

calum said:
    er, which just leaves Ireland...
    The EU takes small countries very seriously.....just ask Greece.....or, indeed, Ireland.....
  • Options

calum said:
    The Telegraph understands that the final figure, which is deliberately being left open to interpretation, will be between €45bn and €55bn.

So lets call it 50bn...so even higher than the 40bn quoted last week.
    I think that is in euros
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Well, that's the easy bit of the negotiations done!

Now the government just need to decide what type of deal they actually want, beyond banal platitudes about "free trade" and "deep and special partnerships".
  • Options
    RobD said:
    You’re rejoicing that we’re paying €55billion in Danegeld to the French and Germans?

I’d call that treason.

Let’s spend that €55 billion on the NHS instead.
  • Options

calum said:

Actually, this is very good news. The sane wing of the Cabinet may have won out after months of haggling with the loons. Now that we have conceded on the money it may mean we will concede on other stuff, too. That means a final trade deal becomes a lot more likely. And that is a whole lot better than a No Deal.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Seems it is irrelevant - if agreement has happened the narrative turns away from the remainers in a big way
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

As an aside - a Brexit figure agreed in euros leaves us on the hook for one helluva exchange rate risk.... or upside I guess if the pound strengthens.

The pound should climb on the back of this.

• Options
    Is Boris whistling right now?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited November 2017

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely
    Having just managed to sign in on a different computer Mr G, can I add my good wishes for you soon to be back to full fighting fitness
  • Options

calum said:
    We Remainers are completely reconciled to leaving the EU. We just want to see Brexit exposed as an utter disaster so that we're vindicated whilst the Leavers and turncoats like May are humiliated. And so far all that is going swimmingly. Ba ha ha ha!
    So you want an utter disaster to befall our Country
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:
    You’re rejoicing that we’re paying €55billion in Danegeld to the French and Germans?

I’d call that treason.

I'm fine with paying our fair share, and maybe a bit extra to grease the wheels ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Scott_P said:

So cats are the Libertarians of politics? Do what they like, rules don't apply, kill wildlife...

We established this some time ago. Cats are Tories.
  • Options

RobD said:

I’d call that treason.

On a serious point. If the settlement is that enormous then I can't see Boris left with any choice other than to resign. His staked his reputation on not paying a penny and the EU having to go whistle. It will expose Boris - as was said about Mussolini - as a vain blustering boaster. Who'd take him seriously again?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I’d call that treason.

I'm fine with paying our fair share, and maybe a bit extra to grease the wheels ;)
    Did we lose a war? If not why are we paying reparations?
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: UK's highest-paid vice-chancellor who gets £451,000 a year retires from University of Bath after pay row
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, because pro-EU politicians got us into a position whereby withdrawing from the EU is a pain in the arse.

Still, if we were leaving in a decade it'd be even harder.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely
    Having just managed to sign in on a different computer Mr G, can I add my good wishes for you soon to be back to full fighting fitness
    Everyone is so kind and it reflects so well on PB
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Are we describing the €55 billion as a facilitation payment, or using more honest language?
  • Options

Are we describing the €55 billion as a facilitation payment, or using more honest language?

The same terminology I use for blackmail, ‘Incentive based decision making’
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited November 2017
    Yes, Telegraph says 45bn to 55bn Euros.

Current rate is 1.12 so it's:

£40bn to £49bn

It was pretty obvious we were offering at least £40bn so this looks in line with expectations.
  • Options

calum said:

Actually, this is very good news. The sane wing of the Cabinet may have won out after months of haggling with the loons. Now that we have conceded on the money it may mean we will concede on other stuff, too. That means a final trade deal becomes a lot more likely. And that is a whole lot better than a No Deal.

We should all be relieved as a no deal is a non starter for both sides
  • Options

RobD said:

I’d call that treason.

On a serious point. If the settlement is that enormous then I can't see Boris left with any choice other than to resign. His staked his reputation on not paying a penny and the EU having to go whistle. It will expose Boris - as was said about Mussolini - as a vain blustering boaster. Who'd take him seriously again?

No-one takes him seriously now.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Seems it is irrelevant - if agreement has happened the narrative turns away from the remainers in a big way

Not really - if we are paying £50 billion and on top of that face years of sclerotic growth and falling living standards, followed by a Canada-style deal, the joys of leaving may begin to seem slightly less compelling for at least some.

However, that is by the by, the good news is that the government has seen sense and will have to face down its right flank. Having made the decision to do that, it does open up the possibility of other concessions and the opportunity to get a better Brexit than the worse case scenario. Everyone should welcome that.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    So from we owe them nothing to €50 billion. All for a trade deal. Agreed even before the December 4th deadline.

What would the EU negotiators interpret from this ?

UK wants a trade deal DESPERATELY.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Not really - if we are paying £50 billion and on top of that face years of sclerotic growth and falling living standards, followed by a Canada-style deal, the joys of leaving may begin to seem slightly less compelling for at least some.

However, that is by the by, the good news is that the government has seen sense and will have to face down its right flank. Having made the decision to do that, it does open up the possibility of other concessions and the opportunity to get a better Brexit than the worse case scenario. Everyone should welcome that.

I agree with that - just hope the opposition doesn't play stupid on it
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited November 2017
    Something tells me tonight is going to be a bad night to have date night.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

This followed by letting NI be in the customs union or better still, the UK itself remain in the customs union would be perfect.

Of course, the question would arise : why are we paying 50bn ?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Evening all :)

Symbolic moments - for me, no.1 will always be Neil Armstrong and the Moon landing in 1969 with no.2 the Fall of the Berlin Wall twenty years later and no.3 the second plane hitting the WTC in NYC on 11/9/01.

All three changed the world fundamentally.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    surbiton said:

So from we owe them nothing to €50 billion. All for a trade deal. Agreed even before the December 4th deadline.

What would the EU negotiators interpret from this ?

UK wants a trade deal DESPERATELY.

And so do they

And made my 10,000 posts
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Yes thank you but need to be kind to myself for a few weeks
    Excellent news - and yes, take it easy. We will all try to be nice for 4 weeks before our evil natures resurface :)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    On the financial deal: I. Told. You. So. These negotiations will have numerous scary moments. And breakdowsn. And ultimatums. And then they'll work out. Whether they work out well, and what the electorate makes of them, who knows?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Symbolic moments - for me, no.1 will always be Neil Armstrong and the Moon landing in 1969 with no.2 the Fall of the Berlin Wall twenty years later and no.3 the second plane hitting the WTC in NYC on 11/9/01.

All three changed the world fundamentally.

No.4 - Britain pays £50 billion not to let foreigners in.
  • Options

calum said:

We should all be relieved as a no deal is a non starter for both sides
    The EU side did not seem to be too worried!
This discussion has been closed.