Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Time’s person of the year

Comments

• Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    IanB2 said:

I hope she has some better targeted questions down the page

This is Labour's best hope?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    So what did Theresa's trip to the whitehouse & speech to the GOP achieve, exactly?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Reading leavers' Damascene conversion on paying an exit bill has been jolly funny this morning. All the way from "the undemocratic EUSSR shouldn't get a bean" to "it's only fair, we owed it anyway" in such a short space of time...

If only Theresa had known the Brexiteers had the backbone of a soggy cornflake, this could have been resolved months and months ago.

It has finally dawned on them what a no deal Brexit means.

A disaster for the economy and Corbyn as PM.
  • Options
    She sneers and shouts across the ballot box, but there's no substance there. Just looks nasty and hectoring. Questions were crap, no incision. Even the useless Damien Green had no trouble swatting her away.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited November 2017
    Pong said:

So what did Theresa's trip to the whitehouse & speech to the GOP achieve, exactly?

Probably more than Tony Blair's trips to Bush in the run up to the Iraq war.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Reading leavers' Damascene conversion on paying an exit bill has been jolly funny this morning. All the way from "the undemocratic EUSSR shouldn't get a bean" to "it's only fair, we owed it anyway" in such a short space of time...

If only Theresa had known the Brexiteers had the backbone of a soggy cornflake, this could have been resolved months and months ago.

This is a good day for Hammond presumably.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited November 2017
    Anorak said:

It is the last refuge of the hard-of-thinking on this board to do a "PB was saying then/is saying now" straw man. The leaver most articulate on this, rcs1000, has said throughout that obviously and boringly there are accounts to be settled, future liabilities dealt with, etc etc. and I don't recall anyone disagreeing. "Shouldn't get a bean" was Boris, not a poster on here.
    edit: and even Boris limited it to "extortionate" final payments.
  • Options

Anorak said:

A good day for the country too.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I don't understand why people are banging on about this settlement, it's just closing out open account with the EU. Staying in would make the liability unlimited as we are a net contributor.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Hmmm. Still the quantum Irish Border issue.
  • Options
    SNP numpty thinks the government sells arms to Saudi, not arms companies....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited November 2017
    TonyE said:

IanB2 said:

I hope she has some better targeted questions down the page

This is Labour's best hope?
    Some researcher dug out his seventeen year old PMQ and some facts about his local hospital, and Emily failed to stitch them together into a hard hitting line of attack. The first question was totally wasted - she should just have hit him with his old question from the start.

Or, been less keen to pull a stunt and come up with some direct topical questions.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

It is the last refuge of the hard-of-thinking on this board to do a "PB was saying then/is saying now" straw man. The leaver most articulate on this, rcs1000, has said throughout that obviously and boringly there are accounts to be settled, future liabilities dealt with, etc etc. and I don't recall anyone disagreeing. "Shouldn't get a bean" was Boris, not a poster on here.
    edit: and even Boris limited it to "extortionate" final payments.
    Never mentioned on here? We can add amnesia to hypocrisy, xenophobia and economic illiteracy.
  • Options

Anorak said:

We'll shaft Northern Ireland like Thatcher did with the Anglo-Irish agreement.

They'll get upset, but no one else will care.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I don't understand why people are banging on about this settlement, it's just closing out open account with the EU. Staying in would make the liability unlimited as we are a net contributor.

A lot of this is grandstanding by Brexiteers like Boris, who wish to virtue signal to the Tory membership ready for leader election imho.

They don't really care two hoots what the actual number is.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Not really, it looks as though the EU are happy to proceed without an agreement in advance.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Anorak said:

And this makes it so much more difficult for the government to resist demands for increased public expenditure on things the voters really care about. They are now saying that we can pay the EU £50bn but there's nothing for nurses, police, defence etc etc etc.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    MaxPB said:

Anorak said:

Not really, it looks as though the EU are happy to proceed without an agreement in advance.
    Because it’s impossible to define the border before we know the trade relationship between the UK and EU. Common sense finally prevailing.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Never wise to upset people with caches of rifles and high explosive, and the will to use them. (as I believe Mr Brooke has mentioned before)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

The govt needs to licence the exports

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/935846642066051072
  • Options

Anorak said:

And this makes it so much more difficult for the government to resist demands for increased public expenditure on things the voters really care about. They are now saying that we can pay the EU £50bn but there's nothing for nurses, police, defence etc etc etc.
    Yes but we’re not writing a cheque for that amount, and the payments over time will represent a significant reduction in payments to the EU, therefore allowing more money to be allocated to other government spending or tax cuts.

A sensible Chancellor will make sure that by the time of the next election he can point to the £350m a week increase in the NHS budget since the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Anorak said:

Because it’s impossible to define the border before we know the trade relationship between the UK and EU. Common sense finally prevailing.
    So why did David Davis agree to this sequencing of the talks?

It doesn't speak well about his competence.

I worry that in the final Brexit deal David Davis will sign the UK up to the single currency and Schengen.
  • Options
    calum said:

But they don't get the money.......which is what the SNP chap claimed.....
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Never wise to upset people with caches of rifles and high explosive, and the will to use them. (as I believe Mr Brooke has mentioned before)
    So the Unionists aren't very loyal to the Crown and will resort to violence?

Get rid of them now.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Anorak said:

I worry that in the final Brexit deal David Davis will sign the UK up to the single currency and Schengen.
    So it really was him on Dead Ringers, all along.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Part of the money is in pension liabilities, which will be paid over the next 25-40 years. The rest will paid until we leave and during any transition period. I'd be surprised if our annual net contribution to the EU actually increased over the next 4-5 years. It might even go down and eventually come to an end, or be massively reduced if we only stay in a few programmes.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    calum said:

ttps://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/935846642066051072
    So we shouldn’t sell things to people who might use them?

The products are going to be bought anyway, so do we sell them ourselves or do we let someone else sell them instead?

If a particular conflight was problematic, then the UN is the body that will intervene. SNP MPs ironically supporting the Iran-equipped Yemeni rebels doesn’t really cut it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995
    Off-topic: I just took a quick trip out to my local shop, wearing cream trousers. On the way I passed the local playground, where a council worker was busy pressure washing the cork flooring. As I passed on the footpath outside the playground, the wash got me, covering (literally) my trousers, coats and hand with muck.

He had sorry and I continued on my way. What intrigues me was the reaction to this by an older gentleman who saw this happen: he stopped me and said: "you should sue the council."

Okay, so I need to do some washing now. But sue the council? What the f***?

In addition, it was partially my fault. I could see he was doing some work, and could have diverted off the path - but I didn't want to risk getting my nice trousers dirty on the wet and potentially muddy grass.

Why is the first reaction to sue when something goes even minorly wrong?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Get rid of them now.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4591268/The-terror-links-Ian-Paisley-s-DUP-party.html
  • Options

Anorak said:

Its worse than that. The government is continuing to cut the budget for the likes of the police. Because we don't have any money. I think it was Charles* the other day suggesting that the Tories beastliness towards the disabled was financial necessity. There is always money available is their message. Just not for the likes of you.

Not the best electoral message is it? Hence their last remaining hope being to portray Corbyn as a crap commie. Because if people decide they've cried wolf one too many times on the "Labour are commie" front, that's their last defence gone.

(*with profuse apologies if it wasn't)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

calum said:

The products are going to be bought anyway, so do we sell them ourselves or do we let someone else sell them instead?
    The other realpolitik issue is that if the western allies don't sell it to them then the Russians will, losing us yet more tangible influence in the Middle East. Like it or not we have to deal with the world we have, not the one we want.
  • Options
    "Donald Trump's Twitter account has retweeted three inflammatory videos from a British far-right group.
    The first tweet from Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, claims to show a Muslim migrant attacking a man on crutches.
    This was followed by two more videos of people Ms Fransen claims to be Muslim.
    Britain First was founded in 2011 by former members of the far-right British National Party (BNP)."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42166663
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017

Pong said:

Probably more than Tony Blair's trips to Bush in the run up to the Iraq war.
    She needs to do one of her polished setpiece speeches condemning intolerance and those who incite violence. Make clear the special relationship is between the British & American people, including ordinary Muslims in both countries and we will not be divided. etc etc. A white supremacist US president cannot be allowed to freely shitstir in our domestic politics without comment from the PM.

She won't though.

She's Mrs Daily Mail. A disaster for Britain.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

The other realpolitik issue is that if the western allies don't sell it to them then the Russians will, losing us yet more tangible influence in the Middle East. Like it or not we have to deal with the world we have, not the one we want.
    Yup!

There’s also signs of serious social change afoot in Saudi as they deal with decreasing oil revenues. We should be encouraging that change in any way that we can.
  • Options

Get rid of them now.

I know you're trolling, but there is a difference between loyalty to the crown and the government.
  • Options

I have a hunch (nothing more than that, to be clear) that he was overruled on the sequencing point. It would explain why he suddenly switched from 'row of the summer' to accepting the EU position.

From the outside, he seems to be handling the negotiations quite competently, given the huge constraints and the parliamentary arithmetic. Look on the bright side - we might have had Liam Fox or Boris negotiating for us.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Sandpit said:

calum said:

Big order for Zyklon B just came through. Might as well send it, otherwise someone else will...

Hmm.

EDIT: Max's point on maintaining influence in the ME is a much better argument.
  • Options
    Only the religious one actually stands out
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Just put a few quid on Joe Kennedy for Dem candidate for POTUS 2020. Not spectacular odds - 12 on BF sportsbook (exchange doesn't even feature him).

Unlikely at this stage of his career, but just a little feeling I have. DYOR.

He would have to win a Senate seat first and that is unlikely unless Warren is Democratic nominee in 2020 or Sanders' VP nominee. He could then be a contender in 2024 or 2028
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Yes but we’re not writing a cheque for that amount, and the payments over time will represent a significant reduction in payments to the EU, therefore allowing more money to be allocated to other government spending or tax cuts.

A sensible Chancellor will make sure that by the time of the next election he can point to the £350m a week increase in the NHS budget since the Brexit vote.
    The Brexit-induced slowdown in UK economic growth - at a time when world growth is increasing - will deprive the Treasury of far more revenue than the current level of EU contributions. And if the UK wants a 2-year no change transition the EU will insist on no change to the current economic relationship, budget contributions included.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

HYUFD said:

No we are moving onto trade talks by the end of the year, despite endless diehard Remainer whinging we were crashing out without a deal
    And how well do you think those trade talks are going to go for us given that we've capitulated on every aspect of the negotiations so far?

The problem with leaving the EU is not the exit bill - which is trivial compared to annual GDP, it's the economic damage the crap trade deal we are going to get will cause.
    The deal will end free movement, that is the only acceptable trade deal, any trade deal leaving free movement in place e.g. staying in the single market, would be completely unacceptable and disrespect the Leave vote
    The question on the ballot paper was:
    Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or Leave the EU.

The EEA wasn't mentioned. Nor was Freedom of Movement. Campaigns are just that, they constrain nothing. However, the Conservative manifesto is an element in how the deal must be made, because they were elected on the back of it. However, if they don't make it to the end of the talks, all bets are off except 'not being a member of the EU'. At least without another referendum.
    The 2 key reasons for voting to Leave were reclaiming sovereignty and ending free movement and regaining control of British borders. Failing to respect either would be disrespecting the Leave vote
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/
    Good. How do you intend to achieve those aims with no borders in Irealnd / Northern Ireland ?
    Through the FTA largely
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Its worse than that. The government is continuing to cut the budget for the likes of the police. Because we don't have any money. I think it was Charles* the other day suggesting that the Tories beastliness towards the disabled was financial necessity. There is always money available is their message. Just not for the likes of you.

Not the best electoral message is it?

Maybe not. But these were already UK obligations - we would have paid them at some stage if we remained in the EU.

If 50bn euros is a deal struck, that's right at the bottom end of possible interpretations of our legal commitments (a range of approx. 25-65bn, plus 20bn for transition).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

The most dramatic difference is on the same-sex marriage question.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Hurrah for the homophobic pensioners. Or is that an ageist remark?

(Actually, my age band isn't that much better)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Get rid of them now.

I know you're trolling, but there is a difference between loyalty to the crown and the government.
    I'd love to do a treatise on the Queen-in-Parliament but I've got to write the afternoon thread now.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Anorak said:

Why do you so dislike the Northern Irish (and Gibraltarians and Falklanders).
  • Options
    45 minutes. Why is the Speaker allowed to just extend the session beyond its limit like this?
  • Options
    TonyE said:

45 minutes. Why is the Speaker allowed to just extend the session beyond its limit like this?

Because he's the Speaker?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

HYUFD said:

No we are moving onto trade talks by the end of the year, despite endless diehard Remainer whinging we were crashing out without a deal
    And how well do you think those trade talks are going to go for us given that we've capitulated on every aspect of the negotiations so far?

The problem with leaving the EU is not the exit bill - which is trivial compared to annual GDP, it's the economic damage the crap trade deal we are going to get will cause.
    The deal will end free movement, that is the only acceptable trade deal, any trade deal leaving free movement in place e.g. staying in the single market, would be completely unacceptable and disrespect the Leave vote

The EEA wasn't mentioned. Nor was Freedom of Movement. Campaigns are just that, they constrain nothing. However, the Conservative manifesto is an element in how the deal must be made, because they were elected on the back of it. However, if they don't make it to the end of the talks, all bets are off except 'not being a member of the EU'. At least without another referendum.
    The 2 key reasons for voting to Leave were reclaiming sovereignty and ending free movement and regaining control of British borders. Failing to respect either would be disrespecting the Leave vote
    Good. How do you intend to achieve those aims with no borders in Irealnd / Northern Ireland ?
    Through the FTA largely
    Why do you keep calling it an FTA? There'll very likely be a TA. Whether there'll be an 'F' (and, some might say, what the F stands for...) remains to be seen and depends on the negotiation.

I expect a deal close to free trade is probably achievable for goods, but I would be surprised on services.
  • Options
    The Queen is the monarch for elderly pensioners as a religious traditionalist, Charles will be the monarch for the late middle aged and younger pensioners as a divorcee and Harry and Meghan will bring the royal family into the 21st century as a mixed race couple.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

Big order for Zyklon B just came through. Might as well send it, otherwise someone else will...

Hmm.

Err, no. Because there’s various international treaties that ban that kind of stuff.

We’re talking about planes and bombs here, not anything banned.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

I love the Gibraltarians and Falklanders, it will pain me if Brexit screws The Rock, I hold Spain and Argentina in the same group as France.

Northern Ireland has brought nothing but grief to the mainland.

So long as Northern Ireland is happy to keep on electing homophobes like Sammy Wilson and Iris Robinson I will keep on disliking them.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

He has to ensure every question on the order paper is asked.

PMQs has extended since Corbyn started asking six speeches.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I can imagine Corbyn retweeting Stalin. After all, he's happy to march below the man's flag and image.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

I love the Gibraltarians and Falklanders, it will pain me if Brexit screws The Rock, I hold Spain and Argentina in the same group as France.

Northern Ireland has brought nothing but grief to the mainland.

So long as Northern Ireland is happy to keep on electing homophobes like Sammy Wilson and Iris Robinson I will keep on disliking them.
    In purely economic terms, does NI contribute anything to the Uk that we really need?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Is Trump retweeting Britain First because he’s not invited to the wedding?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I can imagine Corbyn retweeting Stalin. After all, he's happy to march below the man's flag and image.

A Tory PM went into an alliance with Stalin despite knowing he was the scum of the earth, and was happy to spin the 'Uncle Joe' meme.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    It adds to the amusement of the nation. But it is a bit concerning how someone in public life can contrive to be quite so badly informed about the way the world actually is.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

Hmm.

Err, no. Because there’s various international treaties that ban that kind of stuff.

Woooooosh. Ethics, not legality.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Off-topic: I just took a quick trip out to my local shop, wearing cream trousers. On the way I passed the local playground, where a council worker was busy pressure washing the cork flooring. As I passed on the footpath outside the playground, the wash got me, covering (literally) my trousers, coats and hand with muck.

He had sorry and I continued on my way. What intrigues me was the reaction to this by an older gentleman who saw this happen: he stopped me and said: "you should sue the council."

In addition, it was partially my fault. I could see he was doing some work, and could have diverted off the path - but I didn't want to risk getting my nice trousers dirty on the wet and potentially muddy grass.

Blame the lawyers.... (I thought I'd get that in before someone else did)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

Hmm.

Ethics? That's the county down South, full of chavs who look liked they've been gang banged by wotsits?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    TonyE said:

Because it had been agreed that backbench MP's needed a chance to ask questions in amongst all the party leaders set amount and party planted questions, also to take into account the wasted time by party faithful of both sides shouting and interrupting, and the PM/Leader of the house, waffling....
  • Options
    O/T This looks like a pretty sensible strategy on London housing by Sadiq Khan, although he might be over-doing the mandatory 'affordable' quotas:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/29/london-suburbs-set-for-housing-boom-sadiq-khan

No doubt there will be the usual howls of protest from existing residents, but frankly it's not as though there's a lot of high-quality townscape to protect in places like Croydon, Tower Hamlets and Hounslow.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995

I *always* blame the lawyers. And I can do so safely on here, as there's never any lawyers about during the day, as they're all working so hard ... ;)
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

The most dramatic difference is on the same-sex marriage question.
    It's very age-based. Is this because people of older generations still associate homosexuality more strongly with certain sub-cultures?
  • Options

McDonnell has already quoted Mao
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, are we currently engaged in a global war that poses an existential threat to our continued freedom?

You might also recall (or not, we both know your dubious grasp of history, and now current events too) that Stalin was the leader of our principal opponent in the Cold War.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Yes but unlike the single market a FTA ends free movement
  • Options

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

Hmm.

Ethics? That's the county down South, full of chavs who look liked they've been gang banged by wotsits?
    Amply endowed Essex girl with a lisp visits the doc:
    Doc: Big breaths.
    Girl: They're thuper, aren't they!
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, indeed! Lest we forget the Little Red Book appearing at the dispatch box.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

I *always* blame the lawyers. And I can do so safely on here, as there's never any lawyers about during the day, as they're all working so hard ... ;)
    It's not as easy as you think posting from the golf course.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

It adds to the amusement of the nation. But it is a bit concerning how someone in public life can contrive to be quite so badly informed about the way the world actually is.
    I think Dan comes under the 'collective narcissist' Leaver classification. A man who has spent a lifetime silently raging against the world for not understanding the true exceptionalism of Britain.
  • Options
    Mr. D, a useful counterweight, then, to the metropolitans who are so keen to blame the past and present UK whenever possible.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour asked a point of order about Trump's tweets. They want the Government to make a statement
  • Options
    @krishgm: @jeremycorbyn To those puzzled by my question : if Corbyn ups the pressure by saying this makes a Trump visit to Britain impossible now the PM has to take it more seriously than she has to date
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

Hmm.

Realpolitik.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

HYUFD said:

Through the FTA largely
    Why do you keep calling it an FTA? There'll very likely be a TA. Whether there'll be an 'F' (and, some might say, what the F stands for...) remains to be seen and depends on the negotiation.

I expect a deal close to free trade is probably achievable for goods, but I would be surprised on services.
    Exactly, the Article 50 negotiations have shown how little negotiating power the UK has against the EU. Any trade agreement will be on the EUs terms with the baseline being WTO terms rather than existing arrangement.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

Every time DH opens his mouth, he reveals himself to be another one of those eloquent idiots that predominate in politics these days.

That is the charitable view. The less charitable view is that he is deliberately lying to his readership in order to drum up support for a position which is otherwise much more challenging to justify. [I'm not saying it can't be justified, although I happen to be on the other side of the argument - just that it is unlikely to be delivered as this stately, utopian drift from the status quo.]
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, are we currently engaged in a global war that poses an existential threat to our continued freedom?

You might also recall (or not, we both know your dubious grasp of history, and now current events too) that Stalin was the leader of our principal opponent in the Cold War.

To your first point, yes we are.

As for your latter point, you freely admit you have no grasp of modern history.
  • Options
    Has Trump just barred himself from visiting the UK by violating anti-terror laws?
  • Options

I *always* blame the lawyers. And I can do so safely on here, as there's never any lawyers about during the day, as they're all working so hard running up billable hours ... ;)
    Fixed that for you!
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

calum said:

Hmm.

Ahem
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

O/T This looks like a pretty sensible strategy on London housing by Sadiq Khan, although he might be over-doing the mandatory 'affordable' quotas:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/29/london-suburbs-set-for-housing-boom-sadiq-khan

No doubt there will be the usual howls of protest from existing residents, but frankly it's not as though there's a lot of high-quality townscape to protect in places like Croydon, Tower Hamlets and Hounslow.

Your sweeping remarks about suburbia aside, unplanned development will mean the death of the Tory Party in the capital. Is that what you want?

I'm not saying we shouldn't densify, but there are good and bad ways to go about it.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Chuka Umunna MP tells @skynews the State Visit invitation to Donald Trump should be withdrawn immediately:
    “He is normalising hatred.. if we don’t call this out we are going down a very dangerous road”
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

A Tory PM went into an alliance with Stalin despite knowing he was the scum of the earth, and was happy to spin the 'Uncle Joe' meme.
    I'm not sure he entirely shared Corbyn's illusions about the evil Georgian, though....
    “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons...”
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anorak said:

Not the best electoral message is it? Hence their last remaining hope being to portray Corbyn as a crap commie. Because if people decide they've cried wolf one too many times on the "Labour are commie" front, that's their last defence gone.

(*with profuse apologies if it wasn't)
    It wasn't me
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, indeed! Lest we forget the Little Red Book appearing at the dispatch box.

Indeed some extremists are more acceptable than others it seems
  • Options
    @iainjwatson: An amendment to the EU withdrawal bill has been tabled by #labour calling for a vote on the Brexit bill and OBR/NAO scrutiny -will be debated a week today IF called. (Clearly hoping it will unite Remain and some Brexit opponents of the govt)
  • Options
    I've got an afternoon free in London before my flight. Not sure what to do with myself. :/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

Your sweeping remarks about suburbia aside, unplanned development will mean the death of the Tory Party in the capital. Is that what you want?

Err, Sadiq Khan is a Labour politician.
  • Options
    David Miliband sets himself up as the 'Prince over the Water' for Remainers and soft Brexiteers and those who want the UK to stay permanently in the single market in a new tweet
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DMiliband/status/935857894368608256
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Interesting topic.

Viewing figures for the NFL are down this season and the protest movement started by Kaepernick is thought to be the main reason for that. US Veterans in particular have tuned out.

The topic itself appears to be a highly contentious one and American seems to be completely split over it. The team I follow and support once asked the fans in the stadium to link arms in solidarity with the players during the anthem but the majority clearly ignored that and put their hands over their hearts and saluted instead. It seems to be more about how they protest than the actual subject of racial equality that is trying to be raised. To kneel during the anthem to many Americans is a huge sign of disrespect.

Kaepernick didn't just kneel during the anthem, he also wore socks with police pigs on them. That's when he started to lose a lot of support.

I don't know how they pick a person of the year but If Kaepernick gets it will be an interesting choice.
This discussion has been closed.