Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Brexit impact papers don’t exist what were the redacted

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Laying the favourite rarely fails you in next Conservative leader contests.

Assuming David Davis isn't the next Tory leader it will be an unwelcome hat-trick for David Davis.

He would have been favourite for four consecutive Tory leadership contests, and lost every time.
    Davis isn't favourite anymore, the current favourite is Jacob Rees Mogg
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28051208/market?marketId=1.125574963
    But he's been favourite at various times in the race to succeed Mrs May.
    So has Boris, now it is Mogg
    You are missing the point.

For the last three Tory leadership contests, at various points David Davis has been the favourite to win the race, and he's not won every time, I expect him to make it four out of four.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Labour don't get away without criticism for having no clear strategy or direction on Brexit, but it is much more serious that the Tories appear to still have no bloody clue either.

Exactly. There's nothing enlightened about Labour's approach to Brexit, but it's not the Government, so it matters little.
  • Options
    Must dash.

Off to the cathedral of football to (hopefully) see Liverpool qualify for the knockout stages of the cup with the big ears.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Assuming David Davis isn't the next Tory leader it will be an unwelcome hat-trick for David Davis.

He would have been favourite for four consecutive Tory leadership contests, and lost every time.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28051208/market?marketId=1.125574963

For the last three Tory leadership contests, at various points David Davis has been the favourite to win the race, and he's not won every time, I expect him to make it four out of four.
    He was not favourite in 2001, that was Portillo, in 2003 he was favourite but did not challenge Howard, in 2005 he was favourite and got to the last 2 but lost to Cameron, in 2016 he backed Boris
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Must dash.

Off to the cathedral of football to (hopefully) see Liverpool qualify for the knockout stages of the cup with the big ears.

Have fun, you lucky git.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Completely off topic, wind is currently supplying about twenty one percent of the national grid. And battery storage is improving fast., but it has a way to go yet.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I thought Cameron ran a crap Government, but this lot are beyond disastrous. Even Gordon Brown would have done a lot better.

Bring on Corbyn, this won’t be worse, and might even be better.

It is hard to imagine how Labour could do a worse job of Brexit than the Tories. Neither party has a position, of course, but Starmer v Davis is a no contest.

This the same clueless Starmer who wants to stay in the single market while his boss is still committed to leaving it?

As I said, neither Labour nor the Tories have a Brexit strategy or agreed destination. But unlike Davis, Starmer is prepared to do the hard yards and is not seeking to wing his way through.
    Starmer also has the advantage of not being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He was not favourite in 2001, thatcwas Portillo, in 2003 hecwas favourite buy did not challenge Howard, in 2005 he was favourite and got to the last 2 but lost to Cameron, in 2016 he backed Boris
    1) In 2003 he was favourite to succeed IDS - Didn't succeed IDS

2) In the summer of 2005 he was the 1/2 favourite to succeed Michael Howard, didn't succeed Michael Howard

3) In 2007 he was the favourite to succeed David Cameron, he didn't succeed David Cameron

4) In 2017 he was the favourite to succeed Theresa May - Will David Davis break the habit of the lifetime? My money says no
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He was not favourite in 2001, thatcwas Portillo, in 2003 hecwas favourite buy did not challenge Howard, in 2005 he was favourite and got to the last 2 but lost to Cameron, in 2016 he backed Boris

2) In the summer of 2005 he was the 1/2 favourite to succeed Michael Howard, didn't succeed Michael Howard

3) In 2007 he was the favourite to succeed David Cameron, he didn't succeed David Cameron

4) In 2017 he was the favourite to succeed Theresa May - Will David Davis break the habit of the lifetime? My money says no
    There was no leadership contest in 2007. Mogg is now the favourite to succeed May, Leadsom 2nd, Boris 3rd, Davis now 5th favourite behind Rudd.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Hear Anna Soubry and Ken Clarke voting for Hermon amendment - govt might be in trouble on this one

They were the only two rebels before.
    If there were a real chance of the Government falling to such an amendment, wouldn't it be in Labour's interest to have one or two of its MPs go unexpectedly missing and allow the Government to win?

It's what I would do if I were a Labour Whip, but then I'm a sneaky bugger.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited December 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There was no leadership contest in 2007. Mogg is now the favourite to succeed May, Leadsom 2nd, Boris 3rd, Davis now 5th favourite behind Rudd.
    You don't understand.

David Davis was at times favourite to succeed David Cameron, he failed to succeed him. Just like in 2003 and 2005 he was favourite and didn't become leader.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Hear Anna Soubry and Ken Clarke voting for Hermon amendment - govt might be in trouble on this one

They were the only two rebels before.
    If there were a real chance of the Government falling to such an amendment, wouldn't it be in Labour's interest to have one or two of its MPs go unexpectedly missing and allow the Government to win?

It's what I would do if I were a Labour Whip, but then I'm a sneaky bugger.
    I was definitely expecting all sorts of Parliamentary shenanigans from Labour and the SNP, to try and force a symbolic defeat on the government on one the of the EU bill amendments - but so far the opposition whips have played a straight bat and the government whips have been on top of their game.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    On the other hand TSE's sectoral analysis of David Davis has proven to be entirely accurate and reliable.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You don't understand.

David Davis was at times favourite to succeed David Cameron, he failed to succeed him. Just like in 2003 and 2005 he was favourite and didn't become leader.
    Leadership elections which never were or where he did not stand or coronations don't count
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lay the five favourites!,
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited December 2017
    HYUFD said:

Leadership elections which never were or where he did not stand or Coronations don't count

It counts for betting purposes, and you might not have noticed this is a betting website.

Or are you saying people who laid David Davis to be the successor to IDS, Michael Howard, and David Cameron didn't win money doing that?
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Was there ever a bigger arse to hold government office than Davis? I know that the bar is set extremely high with IDS but if Davis had any decency he would apologize for his complete incompetence and resign.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Was there ever a bigger arse to hold government office than Davis? I know that the bar is set extremely high with IDS but if Davis had any decency he would apologize for his complete incompetence and resign.

So he should resign for not publishing hypothetical forecasts of Brexit doom?
  • Options
    This has been going round Twitter all day - a very funny piece of work.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    HYUFD said:

Mr. Eagles, so, your biggest problem with David Davis is his similarity to David Cameron? :p

Mr. Jessop, to be fair, Arausio is not as well-known as it perhaps should be. It featured arguably the highest Roman death toll in any battle (Cannae was probably a little higher, but they were roughly equal).

The two Roman generals disliked one another so much they completed refused to co-operate, which was, er, brave, given they significantly outnumbered by the Cimbri, who, at this stage, had already notched up a series of massive victories over the Romans.

David Davis isn’t fit to lick the dogshit off Cameron’s shoes.
    If Cameron had bothered to do a half decent negotiation we would not have had Brexit in the first place
    This article - https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/the-inside-story-of-how-david-cameron-drove-britain-to-brexit - by Ivan Rogers is very interesting on how Cameron approached the negotiations, what he was trying to achieve and why the deal was dropped during the referendum campaign.

The deal qua deal was not that bad but its main failing was that it simply did not address what, by then, was concerning the British public. In retrospect, it might have been sensible of Cameron to have left a longer period before the referendum for him to make the case both for the deal and to address the public's concerns. All water under the bridge alas.
  • Options
    I've always thought Davis has a good bedside manner. Ironic.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. Eagles, so, your biggest problem with David Davis is his similarity to David Cameron? :p

Mr. Jessop, to be fair, Arausio is not as well-known as it perhaps should be. It featured arguably the highest Roman death toll in any battle (Cannae was probably a little higher, but they were roughly equal).

The two Roman generals disliked one another so much they completed refused to co-operate, which was, er, brave, given they significantly outnumbered by the Cimbri, who, at this stage, had already notched up a series of massive victories over the Romans.

If Cameron had bothered to do a half decent negotiation we would not have had Brexit in the first place
    This article - https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/the-inside-story-of-how-david-cameron-drove-britain-to-brexit - by Ivan Rogers is very interesting on how Cameron approached the negotiations, what he was trying to achieve and why the deal was dropped during the referendum campaign.

The deal qua deal was not that bad but its main failing was that it simply did not address what, by then, was concerning the British public. In retrospect, it might have been sensible of Cameron to have left a longer period before the referendum for him to make the case both for the deal and to address the public's concerns. All water under the bridge alas.
    Cameron rushed it, he should have given the talks at least another year as Crosby advised, especially over FOM
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

At last we're getting somewhere: you realise that the forecasts would be of doom.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

At last we're getting somewhere: you realise that the forecasts would be of doom.
    Just as the Remain campaigns pre Brexit forecasts were of course
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

The penny drop moment was the DP interview with Kate Hoey and Nick Herbert. She asked him what he would do about immigration and answer came there none.

It was lost (in my mind) right then.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

No for spending the last year lying that they existed and that the work was being done.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

You are saying that Davis' forecasts would be of doom. We've had the referendum so presumably his forecasts would be free of the bias you believe categorised the Remain campaign's ones.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

No for spending the last year lying that they existed and that the work was being done.
    He said there were sectoral analyses just not forecasts
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

You are saying that Davis' forecasts would be of doom. We've had the referendum so presumably his forecasts would be free of the bias you believe categorised the Remain campaign's ones.
    No, as the Remain forecasts came largely from the Treasury
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't alas at all. When history looks at Brexit, it won't be at these silly squabbles we're all consumed by at the moment - they're not even a hiccough. Our country is inexorably regaining its independence - the importance of that will become apparent with time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

So the Treasury ones were of doom pre-Ref and Davis's ones would be of doom now. At least you agree that the forecasts say or would say the same thing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

So the Treasury ones were of doom pre-Ref and Davis's ones would be of doom now. At least you agree that the forecasts say or would say the same thing.
    We are of course nowhere near the economic apocalypse they were expecting after a Leave vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

We are of course nowhere near the economic apocalypse they were expecting after a Leave vote
    That is not the point.

You are accepting that if Davis had forecasts they would be of doom.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,315
    edited December 2017
    While we've all been chortling away at the discomfiture of various members of the Government, the price on Labour Most Seats has been slowly contracting.

It's now down to 1.81, which feels about right to me. Has been a buy for a long time but the billy bunters seem to have caught up with the political realities now.

The Next PM market remains a larf though. All the favorites are lays until you get down to Amber Rudd, and she's no good thing herself. Corbyn at 5.1 is lay of the century, for reasons that have been aired here many times.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited December 2017

While we've all been chortling away at the discomfiture of various members of the Government, the price on Labour Most Seats has been slowly contracting.

It's now down to 1.81, which feels about right to me. Has been a buy for a long time but the billy bunters seem to have caught up with the political realities now.

The Next PM market remains a larf though. All the favorites are lays until you get down to Amber Rudd, and she's no good thing herself. Corbyn at 5.1 is lay of the century, for reasons that have been aired here many times.

They're a greedy lot, them socialists....

Edit/ you spotted it! 'Most Eats' would have been a much more interesting bet.
  • Options
    There are various Brexit reports with analyses of different sectors but they are not determining the impact of Brexit so can not be described as Impact Papers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Colleen McCullogh summed it up in her Masters of Rome series.

One of the few survivors ( an Italian officer) looks at the carnage and says "So, all this happened because one overbred Roman idiot refused to take orders from an underbred Roman idiot?"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Good week for Trump delivering his campaign promise re Jerusalem and also winning the Travel ban at SCOTUS
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leadership elections which never were or where he did not stand or Coronations don't count

It counts for betting purposes, and you might not have noticed this is a betting website.

Or are you saying people who laid David Davis to be the successor to IDS, Michael Howard, and David Cameron didn't win money doing that?
    Which 2007 leadership contest? Toxic TSE telling porkies! Sad!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

I thought Cameron ran a crap Government, but this lot are beyond disastrous. Even Gordon Brown would have done a lot better.

It is hard to imagine how Labour could do a worse job of Brexit than the Tories. Neither party has a position, of course, but Starmer v Davis is a no contest.

This the same clueless Starmer who wants to stay in the single market while his boss is still committed to leaving it?

As I said, neither Labour nor the Tories have a Brexit strategy or agreed destination. But unlike Davis, Starmer is prepared to do the hard yards and is not seeking to wing his way through.
    The hard yards of not running a government department, and of not negotiating with the EU.

You're stuck in one of your catchy phrase groves again. The hyperbole in no way matches the reality.

Davis thought we could do a trade deal with Germany, that we held all the negotiating cards, that the Irish border was an internal UK one, that German car manufacturers would demand Merkel agree terms with us, that Brexit would deliver all of the benefits of EU membership and none of the downsides. He had years to learn about how the EU works and how FTAs are done, but he never bothered. Unfortunately for us, he is totally out of his depth - as is the PM and most of the cabinet.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Prepared. Ha Ha Ha Ha. Starmer cannot even get out of bed in the morning without changing Labour's line on Brexit

The May and Davis line is clear, a FTA that ends free movement

Today we learned that the government has yet to work out what it wants. They have not yet discussed it.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Prepared. Ha Ha Ha Ha. Starmer cannot even get out of bed in the morning without changing Labour's line on Brexit

Today we learned that the government has yet to work out what it wants. They have not yet discussed it.

It really is beyond embarrassing.........
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

</blockquo

Reflecting the situation in the country at large. May be a factor in the unexpectedly robust voting intention figure.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Completely off topic, wind is currently supplying about twenty one percent of the national grid. And battery storage is improving fast., but it has a way to go yet.

If only we had hurricane force winds all the year round...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

This is tedious crap which you just repeat endlessly. Your lot won the referendum and they are the ones to be judged by their statements.

Until £350m a week is being put into the NHS then please keep quiet.
  • Options

There are various Brexit reports with analyses of different sectors but they are not determining the impact of Brexit so can not be described as Impact Papers.

"Impact Assessment" is a term of art.

I am not saying DD has played this well at all but his statements are not technically contradictory.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189

Today I submitted a cost-benefit analysis, but in order to avoid controversy I omitted the costs and did not list the benefits. Davis' Brexit analysis looks equally pointless.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good week for Trump delivering his campaign promise re Jerusalem and also winning the Travel ban at SCOTUS

Good to see Trump recognising Jerusalem as the English national anthem :lol:
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The government wants to negotiate an FTA with the EU without knowing what its objectives are and without any understanding of how it might affect different parts of the UK economy.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302

I'm still reeling from the fact no qualitative impact assessments on leaving the Customs Union were done before leaving the Customs Union the decision was taken by Mrs May.

I have a report like that right in front of me which undertook in March 2016 and have been constantly updating.

Astonishing.

You might even say its unbelievable. In fact, let's just say it. Davis is an incompetent liar and this is not a credible position.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's certainly perplexing.

It makes it easier to understand why nobody in government thought it worthwhile to consult with the DUP on the wording of the draft agreement. It never occurred to any of them tat the DUP might have an opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RoyalBlue said:

@TOPPING we have no dispute when it comes to Sauternes :wink:

EDIT I dread to think how many Brexiteer points I lose by admitting that.

Barsac is better
  • Options
    If David Davis was put in charge of running a bath I would invest all my small pile into ark builders. The only risk would be whether he would actually get any water into it.

It is profoundly depressing that someone so stupid, so lazy and so incompetent can reach so far up the greasy pole of politics. Depressing does not quite cover the incompetence that left this man in charge of our most important negotiation for a generation. It's more like unforgiveable.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    DavidL said:

If David Davis was put in charge of running a bath I would invest all my small pile into ark builders. The only risk would be whether he would actually get any water into it.

It is profoundly depressing that someone so stupid, so lazy and so incompetent can reach so far up the greasy pole of politics. Depressing does not quite cover the incompetence that left this man in charge of our most important negotiation for a generation. It's more like unforgiveable.

He used to be poster boy for the "having a real job before entering politics" crowd, but sitting on his arse at Big Sugar all those years doesn't seem to have done much for him.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Whatever one thinks of the DUP, they do actually read the documents they're given. We'd do better with Nigel Dodds running the negotiations with the EU.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

He used to be poster boy for the "having a real job before entering politics" crowd, but sitting on his arse at Big Sugar all those years doesn't seem to have done much for him.
    If Gove was in charge of the negotiations we would either be in a state of war with the EU or already have a deal. But at least we would know where we were.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

Plus the tax reform bill getting through the Senate. Also, the Mueller investigation turning out to be a let down after all the hype has probably lifted the Trump camp's spirits.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Believe me, I do proof read before posting, yet I don't spot the errors until I post. Why is that? Something to do with Vanilla?

Mind you I have a similar problem when looking for, say, the scissors in a drawer at home. They are invisible until the other half opens the drawer.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Whatever one thinks of the DUP, they do actually read the documents they're given. We'd do better with Nigel Dodds running the negotiations with the EU.
    We'd do better with 3 people chosen at random off Buchanan Street. That's what is so upsetting.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Believe me, I do proof read before posting, yet I don't spot the errors until I post. Why is that? Something to do with Vanilla?

Mind you I have a similar problem when looking for, say, the scissors in a drawer at home. They are invisible until the other half opens the drawer.
    Its to do with screens. When I published my book on debt collection I had to provide 2 hard copies for the proof readers. The publisher explained that everyone missed too much on screens. I see that in my work too. I look at a document on my lap top, it looks ok, I print it and the enormous typo glares out at me with barely a glance. Its strange.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

If Gove was in charge of the negotiations we would either be in a state of war with the EU or already have a deal. But at least we would know where we were.
    The fundamental problem is that the government does not know what it wants. Beyond the moon on a stick.

Not knowing what it wants it has no idea how to get there.

May is temperamentally incapable of managing the situation and she has appointed incompetent people around her.

Meanwhile the clock is ticking. Sometime in Q1 2018 it will become screamingly obvious that there will be no time to agree anything at all and companies will start implementing their contingency plans.

I expect I will get a lot of flak for this but it seems to me that we might be better off freezing the Art. 50 timetable while we work out what to do. The EU may not like it but they may well realise that waiting for a British government that can actually agree on what it is offering and deliver it is better than one which cannot, frankly, get dressed and out of the house without help. The government would be well advised to bring on board people who actually understand how the EU works and the politics of their approach, no matter where they come from. It certainly needs all the help it can get.

Imagine what all those other countries with whom the UK wants to sign trade deals are thinking as they watch this shambles. And why would anyone invest in a country with this sort of ineptness at the top of government? You may as well invest in Italy. At least the weather's better.

I really would like to be proved wrong. But this is FUBAR territory.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

We'd do better with 3 people chosen at random off Buchanan Street. That's what is so upsetting.
    Frankly, it's an insult to the voters, Leave or Remain.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Toms said:

I believe over the 12 months it averages to something useful, maybe about ten percent. Also I believe I did mention battery storage which will be particularly good for solar power. We need to encourage both sources. And, by the way, to rein in our remarkably silly wastage.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nope it is a well known phenomena which makes it very difficult to edit your own work. Anyone who writes reports professionally will be familiar with it. When you reread a piece you have just written you read what you think you have written instead of what is actually there.

I probably have to edit at least 50% or more of the posts I write on PB because of stupid spelling or grammar mistakes which I know but don't see until I have posted.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Plus the tax reform bill getting through the Senate. Also, the Mueller investigation turning out to be a let down after all the hype has probably lifted the Trump camp's spirits.
    The best news for Trump is that after years of stagnation, Blue Collar wages are rising strongly.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Good to see Trump recognising Jerusalem as the English national anthem :lol:
    I have been thinking all day: does he really want a bigger, better 9/11, but of course the answer is: of course he does. It puts him under the world spotlight to receive condolences and do the statesmanlike schtick, it shores up his core anti-Muslim vote and rallies the undecideds behind the C in C, and he might even get his own little war out of it. I can see no downside.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    kle4 said:

Labour don't get away without criticism for having no clear strategy or direction on Brexit, but it is much more serious that the Tories appear to still have no bloody clue either.

Labour' tactic is to be polite about Brexit but not as wedded to it as the Tories. But the underlying reality is that the majority of Labour MPs (like the majority of Labour voters) aren't really that bothered. In practice that would mean enough flexibility to reach a Brexit reasonably close to membership. The EU's problem is that the current government is a coalition of warring tribes, all of whom feel passionately, and nobody is prepared to make a decision alienating any of them. So the EU genuinely doesn't know what we want - which is not surprising as the Government doesn't know either.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Which part of that comes as a surprise from before the referendum result?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

The fundamental problem is that the government does not know what it wants. Beyond the moon on a stick.

Not knowing what it wants it has no idea how to get there.

May is temperamentally incapable of managing the situation and she has appointed incompetent people around her.

Meanwhile the clock is ticking. Sometime in Q1 2018 it will become screamingly obvious that there will be no time to agree anything at all and companies will start implementing their contingency plans.

I expect I will get a lot of flak for this but it seems to me that we might be better off freezing the Art. 50 timetable while we work out what to do. The EU may not like it but they may well realise that waiting for a British government that can actually agree on what it is offering and deliver it is better than one which cannot, frankly, get dressed and out of the house without help. The government would be well advised to bring on board people who actually understand how the EU works and the politics of their approach, no matter where they come from. It certainly needs all the help it can get.

Imagine what all those other countries with whom the UK wants to sign trade deals are thinking as they watch this shambles. And why would anyone invest in a country with this sort of ineptness at the top of government? You may as well invest in Italy. At least the weather's better.

I really would like to be proved wrong. But this is FUBAR territory.
    And the food too. Italy has a lot going for it. Well, comparatively.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

I believe over the 12 months it averages to something useful, maybe about ten percent. Also I believe I did mention battery storage which will be particularly good for solar power. We need to encourage both sources. And, by the way, to reign in our remarkably silly wastage.
    Sorry, but rein in. The metaphor is about slowing down horses, not sitting on thrones.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So what exactly is he supposed to have achieved? We are leaving the single market, free movement is non negotiable and we are almost now ready to begin talks for a FTA having effectively settled the exit bill and the citizens rights issue with only the Irish border to be settled in a way that appeases the DUP
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Toms said:

Toms said:

I believe over the 12 months it averages to something useful, maybe about ten percent. Also I believe I did mention battery storage which will be particularly good for solar power. We need to encourage both sources. And, by the way, to reign in our remarkably silly wastage.
    Sorry, but rein in. The metaphor is about slowing down horses, not sitting on thrones.
    Bad one. Nice one. I blame my Dupuytren's contracture.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

This is tedious crap which you just repeat endlessly. Your lot won the referendum and they are the ones to be judged by their statements.

For the record for the umpteenth time I voted Remain (unlike your son) and I am certainly the last person to defend Cuummings absurd position on NHS funding. However the Remain campaign forecast dire economic disaster almost from the result which clearly has not come to fruition
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In a hilarious twist the US Republican Senators accidentally left in the AMT for corporations in the tax bill they passed - massively reducing the huge tax cut they intended to give their top donors.

The only option is for conference and for another round of voting in the house and senate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

kle4 said:

Labour' tactic is to be polite about Brexit but not as wedded to it as the Tories. .
    With respect that seems a generous interpretation of some quite contradictory statements from senior people. It seems much more probable they are simply trying to be all things to all people.

However, as noted that is small fry to the government still being unable to agree a position.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They want a FTA that ends free movement, just as the LDs want to stay permanently in the single market, it is Labour who are utterly clueless as to what they want
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

So what exactly is he supposed to have achieved? We are leaving the single market, free movement is non negotiable and we are almost now ready to begin talks for a FTA having effectively settled the exit bill and the citizens rights issue with only the Irish border to be settled in a way that appeases the DUP
    Just off the top of my head he might have focussed on what our key industries need and want; how that might fit into some sort of overall plan; what the impact on them might be with the alternatives; to have a view about what we want and don't want in transition; I could be here longer than an England opener.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

That is not the point.

You are accepting that if Davis had forecasts they would be of doom.
    They would be doom as they would be written by diehard Remainer civil servants
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

For the record for the umpteenth time I voted Remain (unlike your son) and I am certainly the last person to defend Cuummings absurd position on NHS funding. However the Remain campaign forecast dire economic disaster almost from the result which clearly has not come to fruition
    And you have accepted that Davis's forecasts would say the same thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Just off the top of my head he might have focussed on what our key industries need and want; how that might fit into some sort of overall plan; what the impact on them might be with the alternatives; to have a view about what we want and don't want in transition; I could be here longer than an England opener.
    What they want is a FTA what they want even more and can't have is the single market which requires free movement. The transition has to mirror the single market entirely according to Barnier as long as we are in it. End of discussion.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

I believe over the 12 months it averages to something useful, maybe about ten percent. Also I believe I did mention battery storage which will be particularly good for solar power. We need to encourage both sources. And, by the way, to rein in our remarkably silly wastage.
    I was being sarcastic and apologise for that. I am currently looking at forecasts of 90 knot winds over the next 24 hours and the connection struck me as amusing.

For the record I like wind turbines. I prefer them offshore and really dislike them in national parks but think if we can generate all our power from renewables one day that would be a great thing. I also like all the technological advances that are coming off the sides of the industry. It reminds me of the space race and all the peripheral benefits we got from that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

For the record I like wind turbines. I prefer them offshore and really dislike them in national parks but think if we can generate all our power from renewables one day that would be a great thing.

The Vale of Evesham, some of the most fertile farmland in the country, is sprouting solar panels at an alarming rate.

And offshore wind turbines should be wave machines.

Apart from that...
  • Options

Toms said:

Toms said:

I was being sarcastic and apologise for that. I am currently looking at forecasts of 90 knot winds over the next 24 hours and the connection struck me as amusing.

For the record I like wind turbines. I prefer them offshore and really dislike them in national parks but think if we can generate all our power from renewables one day that would be a great thing. I also like all the technological advances that are coming off the sides of the industry. It reminds me of the space race and all the peripheral benefits we got from that.
    The space race analogy makes one think. Engineering and science need encouragement. There are such possibilities!
  • Options
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

@TOPPING we have no dispute when it comes to Sauternes :wink:

EDIT I dread to think how many Brexiteer points I lose by admitting that.

Barsac is better
    Strange comment.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

For the record I like wind turbines. I prefer them offshore and really dislike them in national parks but think if we can generate all our power from renewables one day that would be a great thing.

The Vale of Evesham, some of the most fertile farmland in the country, is sprouting solar panels at an alarming rate.

And offshore wind turbines should be wave machines.

Apart from that...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_Lagoon_Swansea_Bay
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

So they would be inaccurate then yes, so pointless to do them
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Labour' tactic is to be polite about Brexit but not as wedded to it as the Tories. .
    With respect that seems a generous interpretation of some quite contradictory statements from senior people. It seems much more probable they are simply trying to be all things to all people.

However, as noted that is small fry to the government still being unable to agree a position.
    I see May has now contradicted Hammond on whether we'd meet our financial obligations if we did not in other ways have a deal.

We're losing count of the splits, any one of which would normally lead to a resignation. Are there in fact any two members of the Cabinet who have consistently agreed with each other?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nobody is listening to Labour at the moment so covering all bases seems like a sensible option.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I see May has now contradicted Hammond on whether we'd meet our financial obligations if we did not in other ways have a deal.

We're losing count of the splits, any one of which would normally lead to a resignation. Are there in fact any two members of the Cabinet who have consistently agreed with each other?
    At least the Brexit Secretary and PM agree on the Brexit they want, a FTA that ends free movement, unlike the Labour Leader and his Shadow Brexit Secretary who cannot even agree on whether to stay in the single market and customs union or not
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

kle4 said:

Labour' tactic is to be polite about Brexit but not as wedded to it as the Tories. But the underlying reality is that the majority of Labour MPs (like the majority of Labour voters) aren't really that bothered. In practice that would mean enough flexibility to reach a Brexit reasonably close to membership. The EU's problem is that the current government is a coalition of warring tribes, all of whom feel passionately, and nobody is prepared to make a decision alienating any of them. So the EU genuinely doesn't know what we want - which is not surprising as the Government doesn't know either.
    I get the impression that Tories who support Brexit just metaphorically put their fingers in their ears and whistle when anything inconvenient is asked about what they are doing. I wonder how many days Theresa Mays government has got left: It is going to be torn apart! Mind you I am not that keen on Corbyn being in government, why cannot Labour have someone like Hillary Benn as leader?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited December 2017
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

You’re calling that putt very early.
    Mueller investigation is very very far from being a let down so far.

Also polling suggests the tax reform bill is toxic - less popular than tax rises in America takes some doing (!?)

The Dems need something to run against and this is it - especially if the mandate is set to zero and causes premiums to spiral.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

The point is that you have accepted that Davis's forecasts would have said the same thing as the ones produced pre-vote.

As to their accuracy, Davis's would have been made now or very recently so no one can know how accurate they would or wouldn't have turned out to be.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

kle4 said:

I get the impression that Tories who support Brexit just metaphorically put their fingers in their ears and whistle when anything inconvenient is asked about what they are doing. I wonder how many days Theresa Mays government has got left: It is going to be torn apart! Mind you I am not that keen on Corbyn being in government, why cannot Labour have someone like Hillary Benn as leader?
    If Benn hadnt resigned he would be a front runner post Corbyn.
    As it is I think Thornberry has a very decent shot - and I don’t know that she would be too different to Benn politically.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Torn apart? Most polls have Corbyn heading for a minority government or tiny majority at best
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

The point is that you have accepted that Davis's forecasts would have said the same thing as the ones produced pre-vote.

As to their accuracy, Davis's would have been made now or very recently so no one can know how accurate they would or wouldn't have turned out to be.
    The ones produced pre vote which were wrong yes, as any new ones largely written by the same people would also be wrong
This discussion has been closed.