Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Robinson says the “very widespread expectation in Westmin

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

And there's still more snow than at a drug baron's birthday party.

This is astonishing especially for December.

The snow has just sat over mid Wales and central England all day. It'll make for a fun commute tomorrow.
    I'm walking.

I have already had the email to say the school is open but we should use our discretion as to whether we can get there safely.
    Our 'snowdays' whether at school or work and the accompanied road and rail disruption would be considered absurd in Finland, Norway, Russia, or parts of Canada and New England where today's snowfall is just an average winter day. They have learnt to prepare
    In those places it's worth investing in snow tyres and snow chains because you get deep snow every year for prolonged periods. In England the situation is different.

In my case it doesn't matter, but I don't think I'd want to drive in what is now eight inches of snow partially compacted in an ordinary front-wheel drive car in summer tyres unless I had no other choice.
    No but maybe worth considering at least having one school bus for teachers and pupils with snow tyres and snow chains for those who still want to come in
    Not a lot of help for rural schools which might have 16-20 routes to cover and staff living fifty miles away.

And not necessary in urban schools where the children can walk.

Edit - it's not exactly the work of five minutes to swap the tyres over either, but they deteriorate quickly when used in temperatures above freezing. Chains are a pain too.
    In urban and suburban areas depends on the catchment area. In rural areas just needs each village or market town to ensure it has one snow ready bus
    And who drives it?
    The same bus drivers the council normally provides for its bus service
    How do they get there?
    If they leave from the local village or market town where most of them are likely to live near they walk
    Ok. What that proves is you know nothing about bus drivers.
    How many bus drivers in rural areas live in remote hamlets or houses rented from farmers? Not many I suspect
    Quite. They mostly live in places where there is no room to keep a bus...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    justin124 said:

Completely OT but referencing the previous thread as I have been out most of the day.

I find it completely staggering that anyone could claim that someone who had a child out of wedlock is not fit to be PM. It seems to be an attitude that is so utterly outdated that I can't help but feel it must be a joke.

If Thatcher had had her twins out of wedlock, would that not have affected her leadership prospects in 1975 - and her chances of becoming PM in 1979?

Very probably because attitudes were different in the 1950s. But Angela Rayner is now. She could have had an abortion but chose to keep the child and raise it and, rather than do nothing and live on benefits, learn and work and get on. That is a good example to set to people.

I have no idea how good an MP she is. But if she does well in Parliament and became leader of the Labour Party I don't think the fact that she was a single mother at a young age should count against her.

People make mistakes in life. Or face adversity. But it is a measure of their character how they respond to those mistakes or deal with difficult situations. There may be other reasons for criticising Ms Rayner but raising her son and taking joy in becoming a grandmother is not among them.
  • Options
    Another big win for Theresa - Qatar has confirmed an order for 24 typhoon aircraft from BAE Systems at a cost of 5 billion
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Completely OT but referencing the previous thread as I have been out most of the day.

I find it completely staggering that anyone could claim that someone who had a child out of wedlock is not fit to be PM. It seems to be an attitude that is so utterly outdated that I can't help but feel it must be a joke.

If Thatcher had had her twins out of wedlock, would that not have affected her leadership prospects in 1975 - and her chances of becoming PM in 1979?
    I doubt if Thatcher ever slept with anyone before she married Dennis
    I agree with you. Moreover, I suspect the same could be said of WE Gladstone , Stanley Baldwin , Neville Chamberlain , Churchill, Attlee, Macmillan, Douglas- Home , Wilson, Callaghan - and Theresa May!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

Very probably because attitudes were different in the 1950s. But Angela Rayner is now. She could have had an abortion but chose to keep the child and raise it and, rather than do nothing and live on benefits, learn and work and get on. That is a good example to set to people.

I have no idea how good an MP she is. But if she does well in Parliament and became leader of the Labour Party I don't think the fact that she was a single mother at a young age should count against her.

People make mistakes in life. Or face adversity. But it is a measure of their character how they respond to those mistakes or deal with difficult situations. There may be other reasons for criticising Ms Rayner but raising her son and taking joy in becoming a grandmother is not among them.
    Absolutely
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    nielh said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.
    If anything I think it is to Ms Rayner's credit that she has made something of herself despite having a child at 16. That shows some gumption and is to be admired.

She's done well, I agree. My overwhelming sense though is that that her having a child at 16 is a non issue. People have to overcome all sorts of challenging situations.

This profile of Angela Rayner in 2012, when she was a trade union rep, is interesting. Quoted without comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/feb/17/working-life-union-official-unison

"Rayner has a warm relationship with the council leaders, but each knows which side they are on. This is obvious when she talks about grievance processes: "There are times when it's one of my members who has acted badly, but even then I blame management – after all, they recruited that person. Management created the mess, so it is up to management to sort it out, with the best possible result for the member I'm representing."

On the day I spend with Rayner there are no disciplinary hearings, but we do discuss the process over lunch in the council canteen. "You get genuine ones, where an employee has committed fraud or stolen something, and you try and do your best for them, ensure they might get a fair CV instead of a trip to the police station. We look for a corrective response not a punitive one."
    Someone with this attitude to law-breaking is not fit to be in any position of authority, let alone a Member of Parliament.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

I am gobsmacked that this is even something to be debated. It is quite bizarre.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

The snow has just sat over mid Wales and central England all day. It'll make for a fun commute tomorrow.
    I'm walking.

I have already had the email to say the school is open but we should use our discretion as to whether we can get there safely.
    Our 'snowdays' whether at school or work and the accompanied road and rail disruption would be considered absurd in Finland, Norway, Russia, or parts of Canada and New England where today's snowfall is just an average winter day. They have learnt to prepare
    In those places it's worth investing in snow tyres and snow chains because you get deep snow every year for prolonged periods. In England the situation is different.

In my case it doesn't matter, but I don't think I'd want to drive in what is now eight inches of snow partially compacted in an ordinary front-wheel drive car in summer tyres unless I had no other choice.
    No but maybe worth considering at least having one school bus for teachers and pupils with snow tyres and snow chains for those who still want to come in
    Not a lot of help for rural schools which might have 16-20 routes to cover and staff living fifty miles away.

Edit - it's not exactly the work of five minutes to swap the tyres over either, but they deteriorate quickly when used in temperatures above freezing. Chains are a pain too.
    In urban and suburban areas depends on the catchment area. as one snow ready bus
    And who drives it?
    How do they get there?
    If they leave from the local village or market town where most of them are likely to live near they walk
    How many bus drivers in rural areas live in remote hamlets or houses rented from farmers? Not many I suspect
    There is plenty of room in a market town or even a reasonably sized village for a bus
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I agree with you. Moreover, I suspect the same could be said of WE Gladstone , Stanley Baldwin , Neville Chamberlain , Churchill, Attlee, Macmillan, Douglas- Home , Wilson, Callaghan - and Theresa May!
    In the case of Gladstone you would suspect wrongly. Macmillan was not an adulterer but famously lived with one and raised two children not his own. Macdonald was himself illegitimate.

And that's before we even mention Lloyd George, Herbert Asquith and the Duke of Wellington...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Churchill no (as a young man he may even have been bisexual and reportedly once had a brief fling with Ivor Novello), Macmillan no, Wilson no, agree on the rest
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There is plenty of room in a market town or even a reasonably sized village for a bus

Yes - but the driver won't live there. Moreover fuelling and maintenance facilities are a bit more of a stretch.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Lukaku looking worth every penny of the £75 we spent on him. It was £75 wasn’t it?

Tell you what. Send him out on loan this transfer window. Everton need a striker.
    It’s tempting. He was a waste of space up front today with one glorious chance hit straight at the keeper (who in fairness reacted quite brilliantly to the rebound) and he gave away the winning goal. He works hard but so does Fellaini.
    He made two assists today!
  • Options

Another big win for Theresa - Qatar has confirmed an order for 24 typhoon aircraft from BAE Systems at a cost of 5 billion

I am sure the Saudis will be delighted with that. It might prove quite an expensive order.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Churchill no, Macmillan no, Wilson no, agree on the rest
    Technically wasn't Wilson's promiscuity after he married? Or was it both?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

In the case of Gladstone you would suspect wrongly. Macmillan was not an adulterer but famously lived with one and raised two children not his own. Macdonald was himself illegitimate.

And that's before we even mention Lloyd George, Herbert Asquith and the Duke of Wellington...
    I was aware of Macdonald's illegitmacy, but am surprised that such a high Churchman as Gladstone would have behaved as you suggest. Dorothy Macmillan's long term liaison with Boothby is common knowledge but have not come across firm evidence that she had illegitimate children.
    I would add Campbell-Bannerman to my list too!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

ISTR in some parts of Germany (all?) you have by law to carry snowchains in your car for part of the year.
    Certainly in West Germany in the 1970’s it was illegal to drive on the public roads without studded tires but they had snow on the ground for months at a time.
    That's the law today too. Of course, now-a-days it's called winter tyres.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I was aware of Macdonald's illegitmacy, but am surprised that such a high Churchman as Gladstone would have behaved as you suggest. Dorothy Macmillan's long term liaison with Boothby is common knowledge but have not come across firm evidence that she had illegitimate children.
    I would add Campbell-Bannerman to my list too!
    When he was a student. He also wrote about his guilty pleasure in masturbating frequently. It later led to a reaction and his famous work saving fallen women.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Churchill no (as a young man he may even have been bisexual and reportedly once had a brief fling with Ivor Novello), Macmillan no, Wilson no, agree on the rest
    I don't think Wilson is likely to have slept with anyone before marrying his wife in January 1940.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    DavidL said:

I am sure the Saudis will be delighted with that. It might prove quite an expensive order.
    Maybe it will prompt the Saudis to order 50 more for themselves.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Wilson always struck me as a ladies man which continued into his premiership, though never confirmed
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    DavidL said:

As I say below, I'd love to know if these 24 planes are 24 of our fairly useless tranche 1 planes. If so, it's probably a blooming good deal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I have been advised that there was never a relationship between him and Marcia.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

ISTR in some parts of Germany (all?) you have by law to carry snowchains in your car for part of the year.
    And a damn sensible rule that would be in the Alps.

But this is the first significant snowfall we have had since I moved to Cannock three and a half years ago. There has been one other fall of about half an inch which wouldn't have stopped a baby's pushchair.

Paying £500 for snow tyres and chains would be excessive.
    I agree with you, and think HYUFD is being a little silly.
    It took you a while to notice that.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Wilson always struck me as a ladies man which continued into his premiership, though never confirmed
    Hate to bring in personal knowledge twice in one day, but an old friend of mine now deceased lived next door to Lady Falkender. He says he used to meet Wilson very frequently while walking the dog in the early morning and got a grunt in reply to his 'Good morning Prime Minister.'

(The friend in question was a Civil Servant and kept quiet.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You are clueless. Utterly clueless. Stop digging.

(A jokey appeal to authority: my sister drives busses as a 'hobby' in a rural area.)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Miliband himself was Jewish - the first and so far only person who wasn't an ethnic Caucasian specifically BritishEuropean male to lead the Labour Party full time.

I likewise would never have dreamed that less than three years later this would be happening.

Edited because come to think of it his father was European.
    Three years ago, I would have dismissed as ridiculous, the idea of being represented by a Labour councillor who openly praised Adolf Hitler.
    The last two MP's for Bradford west have shown where you have to be in certain community's.
    The tone in Labour is set from the top.
    One of those MP's was Mr purr himself of the respect party but if you want to win votes in these places you will probably have to go down the path where some labour people have let themselves down.
    Why do you need to go down the path of anti-semitism to win votes in such places?

Really, why?

If you belong to a party which makes much of its moral stance against racism then that is the last thing you should be doing. It makes a mockery of the morality you claim to espouse and is, to use Mr Meeks' terms, a moral disaster. You should - if you really believe in your principles - be challenging those of your constituents or your would-be constituents who espouse anti-semitic views. You should be saying that if they want to make a fuss about islamophobia and hate crimes and hate speech against them then they need to be held to the same standard and not espouse or spread anti-Semitic tropes and lies and hate against Jews.

And, second, that assumes that the majority of the community you want to appeal to do hold anti-semitic views. I would if I were a member of that community find it insulting, deeply insulting, to have such an assumption made about me.

What this shows is that when push comes to shove many in the Labour Party, do not really hold these principles dear, that they are more than willing to espouse or turn a blind eye to the sort of views which would normally only have been heard in the sort of dark corners where Neo-Nazi groupuscules would congregate. It ought to be a matter of shame and disgust that the Labour Party, of all parties, given the moral high ground it tries to claim, should be so willing to abandon principles in the search for votes. Some in Labour get it - Ms Thornberry, to her credit.

But too many others - at the top - do not. A fish rots from the head, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

Certainly in West Germany in the 1970’s it was illegal to drive on the public roads without studded tires but they had snow on the ground for months at a time.
    In the 1970s in Germany you often saw strata of snow by the roadside even at Easter which showed how many heavy falls of snow there had been from the layers of dirt and grit in between them. Don’t know if it is still like that with all this global warming but you never seemed to get much of a melt December to the end of February. Continental weather we called it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

(A jokey appeal to authority: my sister drives busses as a 'hobby' in a rural area.)
    Why? Most market towns have populations into the thousands and several buses
  • Options
    edited December 2017

DavidL said:

As I say below, I'd love to know if these 24 planes are 24 of our fairly useless tranche 1 planes. If so, it's probably a blooming good deal.
    Every plane and every missile we sell to the bloody Royal families are useless. That is why we installed them. From Jordan to the Gulf. Only the Iraqis got rid of theirs.

Didn't Blair had to write that "national security" letter to stop the Al- Yamama corruption trial.

The trick dealing with the Arabian peninsula countries is this: why sell something for £x billion when you can sell for £ (x + y) billion ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Hate to bring in personal knowledge twice in one day, but an old friend of mine now deceased lived next door to Lady Falkender. He says he used to meet Wilson very frequently while walking the dog in the early morning and got a grunt in reply to his 'Good morning Prime Minister.'

That does not actually amount to a lot really. She was his political secretary and accompanied him frequently. It is entirely possible that Mary Wilson was also staying with Falkender. Mary and Marcia are apparently very good friends.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited December 2017
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

Our 'snowdays' whether at school or work and the to prepare

In urban and suburban areas depends on the catchment area. In rural areas just needs each village or market town to ensure it has one snow ready bus
    And who drives it?
    How do they get there?
    Severe snow events such as today only happen once every few years in the largely populated areas of the UK. It is cheaper to just take the occasional economic hit than invest millions in special equipment for heavy snow that stays idle for years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Yes I think there was definitely something there
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Severe snow events such as today only happen once every few years in the largely populated areas of the UK. It is cheaper to just take the occasional economic hit than invest millions in special equipment for heavy snow that stays idle for years.

Just a bit more global warming and it'll never happen again. Now, where's that Independent article.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Not necessarily from us though. Doing business with Qatar at the moment can be categorised as brave.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Every plane and every missile we sell to the bloody Royal families are useless. That is why we installed them. From Jordan to the Gulf. Only the Iraqis got rid of theirs.

Didn't Blair had to write that "national security" letter to stop the Al- Yamama corruption trial.

The trick dealing with the Arabian peninsula countries is this: why sell something for £x billion when you can sell for £ (x + y) billion ?
    We installed the Sauds?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

What this shows is that when push comes to shove many in the Labour Party, do not really hold these principles dear, that they are more than willing to espouse or turn a blind eye to the sort of views which would normally only have been heard in the sort of dark corners where Neo-Nazi groupuscules would congregate. It ought to be a matter of shame and disgust that the Labour Party, of all parties, given the moral high ground it tries to claim, should be so willing to abandon principles in the search for votes. Some in Labour get it - Ms Thornberry, to her credit.

But too many others - at the top - do not. A fish rots from the head, I'm afraid.

It is a choice Labour have made. In 1930 they forced a split with the fascists within their ranks and smashed them to pieces. Sadly the fascists are now leading the party whatever ostensible philosophy they hold.

With that I will love you and leave you as the snow continues to fall. Have a good week. Stay safe.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

In the 1970s in Germany you often saw strata of snow by the roadside even at Easter which showed how many heavy falls of snow there had been from the layers of dirt and grit in between them. Don’t know if it is still like that with all this global warming but you never seemed to get much of a melt December to the end of February. Continental weather we called it.
    Another important distinction. In Germany, you have to by law clear the ice from your driveway to the street. In the UK now we are told not to do it, in case anyone falls and sues you. Mind boggling!
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Hurrah if that means the mendacious, incompetent Davis goes too .
  • Options
    So if TSE's leader is correct, DG has not only [ allegedly ] been watching it, he is using the skills he is learning from it [ again allegedly ].
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

When Marcia had her twins out of wedlock there were plently of knowing winks seeking to imply that Wilson was the father - until it became firmly established that the real father was Walter Terry - political editor of the Daily Mail!
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

You may be surprised that she runs out of people to appoint and Gove becomes DPM.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

It doesn't, if Green resigns Davis likely becomes DPM
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, the Saudis lost one over ?Yemen? earlier in the year, one of three to be lost in a month - including an Italian one at an airshow:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIPKQqwl2Y

I *really* want to know what tranche these Qatari plans will be, and on-line sources currently seem confused. It's important, as Saudi has t2 and t3 planes, which are much more capable than the t1 planes.

It should also be remembered that spares and weapons are a vital part of the combat system. A rather important factor in these sales is that we can stop any war we don't want fairly quickly by withholding sales of (say) the Brimstone missiles. When they've got through their current stock, they're screwed, as the Iranians found in the 1980s.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Not necessarily from us though. Doing business with Qatar at the moment can be categorised as brave.
    Not really. They've ordered the Rafale and the F-15 too. Their spare parts and maintenance management is going to be fun :smile:
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Chris_A said:

You may be surprised that she runs out of people to appoint and Gove becomes DPM.
    There is not normally a DPM at all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.
    If anything I think it is to Ms Rayner's credit that she has made something of herself despite having a child at 16. That shows some gumption and is to be admired.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

When Marcia had her twins out of wedlock there were plently of knowing winks seeking to imply that Wilson was the father - until it became firmly established that the real father was Walter Terry - political editor of the Daily Mail!
    Perhaps but that does not prove she was not having an affair with Wilson too though I doubt we will never know either way
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

We installed the Sauds?
    Have you heard about the Lawrence of Arabia ? Who do you think assisted in removing the Ottomans ?
  • Options
    @xtophercook: I'm not saying this is the stupidest possible thing for a DUP MP to say, but it must be in contention

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/939931260029493249
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

But that could also have been said of Thatcher by becoming a Barrister - had she had her twins out of wedlock. Would she have become the Tory leader in 1975 though - or PM in 1979?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I had moved from Emirates to Qatar Airways as a sign of solidarity. Then thought, they were bastards as well. Now Turkish Airlines. At least, their dictator is not part of a looting family.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Chris_A said:

Attlee, Morrison, Eden, Butler, Howe, Heseltine, Prescott, Clegg, Green all DPMs
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deputy_Prime_Minister_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I had moved from Emirates to Qatar Airways as a sign of solidarity. Then thought, they were bastards as well. Now Turkish Airlines. At least, their dictator is not part of a looting family.
    That's the sort of thinking that makes your Christmas shopping more onerous. Nothing from Amazon etc.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @Cyclefree

I agree with most of what you say but

And second in your comments i would say not anti-semitic but anti israel and that can lead on to other things like -

George Galloway interviewed by police over Bradford 'Israel-free zone' speech

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/19/george-galloway-interviewed-police-bradford-israel-free-zone
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Can anyone name a cabinet member that is half talented and not a lying toerag.

It is simpler than that. Can you name any frontline British politician who is not a lying scumbag? It is a precondition of success in politics.
    Amber Rudd, Justine Greening, Hilary Benn, Alan Johnson, Norman Lamb, Theresa May (on the whole), Jacob Rees Mogg (although he has never been a minister)
    There are at least two of those who are confirmed lying bastards
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? Most market towns have populations into the thousands and several buses
    Well, my sister's town (Uttoxeter) used to have an independent bus company (Stevo's), before one of the two big companies drove them out. The depot was two or three miles out of town, along a B road. So the drivers have to get to the depot (and probably by seven in the morning at the latest), and then have to go along roads that may be blocked by other vehicles yet alone snow to pick the kids up, and then try to get back into town.

That is not easy to guarantee. And if kids are left stranded on busses in the arse-end of beyond, then it just puts more pressure on other services.

For the number of days it occurs for most places, best not to bother and just close the school.

And then there are the teachers: one of my neighbours works at a private school in Cambridge, eight miles away. She'll have a fun journey tomorrow if the slush freezes overnight.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

Another important distinction. In Germany, you have to by law clear the ice from your driveway to the street. In the UK now we are told not to do it, in case anyone falls and sues you. Mind boggling!
    That does not appear to the the official advice in the UK at all, albeit it is not a definitive 'just do it, it'll be fine'.

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

You can clear snow and ice from pavements yourself. It’s unlikely that you’ll be sued or held responsible if someone is injured on a path or pavement if you’ve cleared it carefully.

Reading that, people are encouraged to do it (not told not to do it), but they do need to do it properly to be free from risk.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

But that could also have been said of Thatcher by becoming a Barrister - had she had her twins out of wedlock. Would she have become the Tory leader in 1975 though - or PM in 1979?
    I think Cyclefree is absolutely correct. The same goes for Clare Short, who gave up her son for adoption.

I cannot see the comparison with Thatcher. Her twins were not born out of wedlock. Yes, if that had happened, in the seventies she could not have become the leader of the Tory Party. Even today I don't think so.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Not really. They've ordered the Rafale and the F-15 too. Their spare parts and maintenance management is going to be fun :smile:
    Its almost like they are trying to buy some friends isn't it? At least the risk of a backlash is being spread around.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Chris_A said:

Attlee, Morrison, Eden, Butler, Howe, Heseltine, Prescott, Clegg, Green all DPMs
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deputy_Prime_Minister_of_the_United_Kingdom
    Right, not in use for more than half of the post-war years.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

@xtophercook: I'm not saying this is the stupidest possible thing for a DUP MP to say, but it must be in contention

Did he not see the poll showing a majority preferred a united Ireland to a hard border?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/939931260029493249

Do we need a junior minister in the FO to make the boss look more discrete?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

That does not appear to the the official advice in the UK at all, albeit it is not a definitive 'just do it, it'll be fine'.

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

You can clear snow and ice from pavements yourself. It’s unlikely that you’ll be sued or held responsible if someone is injured on a path or pavement if you’ve cleared it carefully.

Reading that, people are encouraged to do it (not told not to do it), but they do need to do it properly to be free from risk.
    But isn't untreated paths more likely to end in injuries ? If anything, you should be sued more. But it certainly is what people think in urban areas , at least.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

We installed the Sauds?
    Have you heard about the Lawrence of Arabia ? Who do you think assisted in removing the Ottomans ?
    LOL. The Ottomans were doing a fine job of removing themselves. One man couldn't do that much damage unless they were already in severe troubles.
  • Options
    Today's match: I haven't seen United being so outclassed since that Champions League final against Barcelona. Barcelona was much better than City though.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

We installed the Sauds?
    LOL. The Ottomans were doing a fine job of removing themselves. One man couldn't do that much damage unless they were already in severe troubles.
    The original sick man of Europe.

They had a good run.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

But isn't untreated paths more likely to end in injuries ? If anything, you should be sued more. But it certainly is what people think in urban areas , at least.

Well it's not your property, so it isn't your responsibility.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    surbiton said:

Today's match: I haven't seen United being so outclassed since that Champions League final against Barcelona. Barcelona was much better than City though.

I can think of a number of times since then, but I guess you're thinking they haven't been challenging for titles for much of that time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

We installed the Sauds?
    The Hashemites who were overthrown by the Sauds in (I think) the 1920s

That's why Jordan is still called "the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan"
  • Options
    surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

I think Cyclefree is absolutely correct. The same goes for Clare Short, who gave up her son for adoption.

I cannot see the comparison with Thatcher. Her twins were not born out of wedlock. Yes, if that had happened, in the seventies she could not have become the leader of the Tory Party. Even today I don't think so.
    I suspect you are correct re- you last sentence.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RoyalBlue said:

nielh said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.

She's done well, I agree. My overwhelming sense though is that that her having a child at 16 is a non issue. People have to overcome all sorts of challenging situations.

This profile of Angela Rayner in 2012, when she was a trade union rep, is interesting. Quoted without comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/feb/17/working-life-union-official-unison

"Rayner has a warm relationship with the council leaders, but each knows which side they are on. This is obvious when she talks about grievance processes: "There are times when it's one of my members who has acted badly, but even then I blame management – after all, they recruited that person. Management created the mess, so it is up to management to sort it out, with the best possible result for the member I'm representing."

On the day I spend with Rayner there are no disciplinary hearings, but we do discuss the process over lunch in the council canteen. "You get genuine ones, where an employee has committed fraud or stolen something, and you try and do your best for them, ensure they might get a fair CV instead of a trip to the police station. We look for a corrective response not a punitive one."
    Someone with this attitude to law-breaking is not fit to be in any position of authority, let alone a Member of Parliament.
    And what's your opinion of lawyers who represent criminals?
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Did he not see the poll showing a majority preferred a united Ireland to a hard border?
    Would serve the bloody DUP right and take the smug smiles off their faces.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

nielh said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.

I have no problem with professionals carrying out their roles in the criminal justice process. Trying to evade that process is a different matter.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    (deleted text)

___

____

That does not appear to the the official advice in the UK at all, albeit it is not a definitive 'just do it, it'll be fine'. https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

____

____

In Vancouver too (same legal system as England) you must clear it
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ice-snow-sidewalks-1.3389037
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited December 2017
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

It is simpler than that. Can you name any frontline British politician who is not a lying scumbag? It is a precondition of success in politics.
    Amber Rudd, Justine Greening, Hilary Benn, Alan Johnson, Norman Lamb, Theresa May (on the whole), Jacob Rees Mogg (although he has never been a minister)
    If you believe they are 'confirmed' you must know the precise number :wink:

EDIT: No PB contributions for 37mins - has snow stopped play?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    edited December 2017

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

That doesn't make sense. He might know two for sure and suspect some others ;)
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited December 2017
    @The_Apocalypse I would like to apologise for the cultist comment the other day. It was stupid and unfair. You're a very good poster here, and you add far more to this website than I do.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595
    Alabama's Senior Republican senator refuses to vote for, let alone endorse Moore:
    http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/richard_shelby_on_roy_moore_th.html

This might just tip the election against the alleged serial teen molester.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Lukaku looking worth every penny of the £75 we spent on him. It was £75 wasn’t it?

Tell you what. Send him out on loan this transfer window. Everton need a striker.
    It’s tempting. He was a waste of space up front today with one glorious chance hit straight at the keeper (who in fairness reacted quite brilliantly to the rebound) and he gave away the winning goal. He works hard but so does Fellaini.
    tbf We used to wonder what he did at Everton too.
    What he did was play every game and score 20+ a sesason.
    He will do the same at United. The problem is he scores in streaks.
    When he isn't scoring he offers little.
    Then he hits a hot streak as he did at the start of the season.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

In which case two, and only two, are confirmed :smile:
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Ok you win :)
  • Options
    I'm a little disappointed that I can't find a Perth cricket correspondent called the WACA Mole
  • Options
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Thanks. It's a hollow victory (bit like Leave?) because we all knew what RCS meant :smile:
  • Options

@The_Apocalypse I would like to apologise for the cultist comment the other day. It was stupid and unfair. You're a very good poster here, and you add far more to this website than I do.

Forgot to add, completely uncalled for too. I'm sorry, you didn't deserve it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    You mean the Guardian is not completely persuaded? Shocked I am, shocked.
  • Options
    Bbc great error, they think ian dale was in the jungle.....

I'm A Celebrity 2017 winner revealed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42284022
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,761
    edited December 2017

I've been working. I have however now clocked off and am ready to bang on about laptops, Star Trek: Discovery vs the Orville, whether the first MCU Captain America film is underrrated, that Brexit thing you guys keep going on about, pineapple on pizza (yummy!) or (my usual speciality) useless pedantry
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,761

Although I have frequently accused May, Davis and Fox of incompetence, indecision and foolishness, I never got the sense they were deliberately misrepresenting what they believed to be true. Contrast to Gove, BoJo or Hannan, who I think do do that.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

nielh said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.

I have no problem with professionals carrying out their roles in the criminal justice process. Trying to evade that process is a different matter.
    The criminal justice system is something we've created as a society to help us get along in as fair a way as we can. Trade unions are another. Okay they aren't the same thing. But they are the same sort of thing. Neither works perfectly and both can have perverse effects from time to time. But I'd argue we are better off with both of them than without them. I'd regard Angela Rayner's work as a pretty good background for being an MP.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Although I have frequently accused May, Davis and Fox of incompetence, indecision and foolishness, I never got the sense they were deliberately misrepresenting what they believed to be true. Contrast to Gove, BoJo or Hannan, who I think do do that.
    Yes, Davis's utter indifferent to facts probably means he's incapable of deliberate misrepresentation ?

• Options

Forgot to add, completely uncalled for too. I'm sorry, you didn't deserve it.
    Good for you for making so full an apology, JJ.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

No snow here in the NE. However, as an assimilated Geordie, I did put on a jumper before my 3 mile walk.
  • Options
    "I didn't vote for Roy Moore. I wouldn't vote for Roy Moore. I think the Republican Party can do better," Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala. today.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    viewcode said:

I've been working. I have however now clocked off and am ready to bang on about laptops, Star Trek: Discovery vs the Orville, whether the first MCU Captain America film is underrrated, that Brexit thing you guys keep going on about, pineapple on pizza (yummy!) or (my usual speciality) useless pedantry
    If you aren’t going to talk about the Second Punic Wars, then why bother?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    That's a very eloquent apology from JonnyJimmy to Apocalypse down the thread - nice to see.
This discussion has been closed.