Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In terms of leadership chances Jeremy Hunt emerges as the winn

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Dura_Ace said:

ICAO standards on machine readable passports mean we won't be reverting back to the old carboard ones that looked like they were made by Valerie Singleton with a hangover. They will be just like the current ones except, er, blue.

Yes. Even if the colour hadn’t changed, the British passport would still look the same as it does now because of the international standards for machine readable passports that have taken affect in the meantime. As you say, the latest standard came from an ICAO working group more than a decade ago.
    https://www.ansi.org/news_publications/news_story?menuid=7&articleid=b2322239-a567-436e-a8b4-d6575c76eee6
  • Options

This isn't conservatism, it's reactionary tosh designed to appeal to the charlatans who wear union jack boxer shorts

Union Jack thongs, thank you very much!!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

*raises an eyebrow*

"I don't care about the colour of passports" say people who keep talking about the colour of passports...

Symbols matter. The symbolism here is of a government pandering to reactionary cretins. Not a good look.
    Absolute nonsense.

But, the fact it annoys people like you tells me it is the right thing to do.
    I do not remember the old passports. I do remember having to queue up at the "Aliens" channel when coming back to England with my Italian mother as I travelled on her passport.

"Aliens", for heaven's sake.

Changing the colour of the passports is a triviality. But it seems to matter to people who are nostalgic for a time when this is how Britain appeared to those who were married to and mothers of its citizens. It is, frankly, a nostalgia I can do without.

There are many reasons for being critical of the EU and there are also good reasons for thinking that Britain may be better off, depending on what you value, outside the EU. But doing it because you want to change the colour of your passport is pathetic. In my view.
    It has nothing to do with that. No-one is going to make anyone queue up at an "Aliens" counter again. Not in this day and age.

Well, I hope so.

But some EU nationals here do feel that they have been made to feel alien in a way which they never expected, especially in a country which generally has had a good record in welcoming foreigners. I regret that. It is not a good look, especially if one wants to be proud of British values.

It is why I wrote this header recently - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/15/to-get-the-tone-right-it-has-to-come-from-the-top/
    Your thread headers are always excellent.

My wife was Bulgarian (she considers herself British first, now) and had a not dissimilar experience in the late 1990s. But, she has yet to meet (and I) EU nationals that feel that way. The ones she does are British people who tell her that's how EU nationals feel.

She never hears it directly.

I always make a point of listening to those with very different life experiences to me. Provided they don't do it in a way which annoys me too much, which I admit is perhaps a subjective thing to judge..
    Quite a few of the Spanish, Greek, Austrian and Portuguese that I work with have told me that they feel less at home here post Brexit.

Surely that was a feature not a bug though? Making the country less welcoming to immigrants was substantially the point of Brexit.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Cdr Jane Bond, RNR in a film directed by Kathryn Bigelow might rescue the franchise from the utter creative and artistic irrelevance it has suffered since the 70s.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@seanjonesqc: The red, white and blue #Brexit turns out to be putting the economy in the red to get blue passports to please white people.

A bit too contrived I think. Some people might care too much about passports, but clearly others care too much about peopLe who care about passports.

I care too much about those who care too much about people who care too much about passports. If you follow me.
    Not sure I care at all. But hey, whatever floats their boat.
    I don't think it matters. Even if it is pandering (which it is) it's pandering that harms no one, and as such won't be indicative of how much pandering that might actually matter there will be. No one would think 'we'll I wasn't going to pander and do x, but we did change the passports so we're committed'. It won't affect what else is being done.

On the contrary, someone is probably speculating or hoping this visual change is a distraction to mollify those who care so they don't get worked up about some soft leave concession as they got their damn blue passports back by jingo . I'd think that unlikely, but that's another reason the impact is nil.
    Of course it doesn't matter. But it has remainers calling people "orcish" and "reactionary cretins" this morning as well as suggesting we will be living on rats after Brexit. I sometimes wonder how on earth the vote was as close as it was. Who on earth would want to support a cause backed by people like that?
    Well, the losing side did have the full force of the government, BBC and establishment behind it - the underlying weight of uninfluenced sentiment is likely a little less narrow
  • Options

The old British passport looked like a tallyman's notebook - ghastly thing. I much prefer the smaller burgundy design, which is neat, portable and exudes a kind of understated venerability. We British do seem to have a strange affection for the cheap and nasty.

You prefer it because its mandated by the European Union, and you see the latter as a symbol of Brexit.

That's it.

https://twitter.com/EULondonMark/status/944128297591541760

The old British passport looked like a tallyman's notebook - ghastly thing. I much prefer the smaller burgundy design, which is neat, portable and exudes a kind of understated venerability. We British do seem to have a strange affection for the cheap and nasty.

You prefer it because its mandated by the European Union, and you see the latter as a symbol of Brexit.

That's it.

https://twitter.com/EULondonMark/status/944128297591541760

Why are you telling me that like I didn't already know that?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    stevef said:

Hunt can do radio interviews well, but on television -the medium which all successful politicians since the 1960s have had to master -he appears shifty and uncontrollable. He comes across as a sweaty browed cold fish, and is despised by public sector workers, and his record on the NHS is a gift to the Labour Party. His name also allows his opponents to become "poetic" in their criticisms, and would go down a bomb on university campuses.

His record on the NHS? It's a mystery to me since apparently it's always in crisis, it's unpleasable, but Dr foxinsoxuk, no tory fan, says Hunt is by no means the worst health secretary, so it cannot be that big a gift.

He does look a bit slippery but Blair had a smarmy insincere grin, such things don't always hinder.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited December 2017
    If Boris was so bad a communicator how come he is the only Tory ever to be elected Mayor of London and effectively the key figure in the winning Leave victory? Mogg is an excellent communicator and currently leads the Conservative Home Tory members poll as is Gove who is second . Rudd too did a good job debating for Remain in the EU referendum and stepping in for May in the general election debates. Davis if a deal is finally agreed with the EU will also have a chance.

Hunt had he stuck with the Remain camp may have had a chance being Remainers candidate to succeed May now having disowned the Remain campaign and said he would have backed Leave Rudd will likely be the candidate from that wing while Leaver MPs and members will choose Mogg, Gove, Boris and Davis before they choose him.

There is also no evidence at all yet Hunt appeals to the public and his deep unpopularity with NHS workers is not a good start on that front.

OGH's tip of Hunt is rather like his tip of Kendall in the 2015 Labour leadership race in my view
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Dura_Ace said:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Cdr Jane Bond, RNR in a film directed by Kathryn Bigelow might rescue the franchise from the utter creative and artistic irrelevance it has suffered since the 70s.

Kathryn Bigelow is fantastic and would make a fine Bond director. Fleabag is derivative crap for hipsters that will be forgotten in a year (that's if anyone watched it in the first place).
  • Options

Mortimer said:

*raises an eyebrow*

"I don't care about the colour of passports" say people who keep talking about the colour of passports...

Symbols matter. The symbolism here is of a government pandering to reactionary cretins. Not a good look.
    By the looks of this morning, u-turning on the policy would be pandering to militant Remainers.
    It's not even the right shade of blue. If the government wants to go full reactionary, I could get behind scrapping commemorative stamps and returning to producing only definitive issues. Otherwise, I'd prefer the government to be looking forward rather than harking back to a past that was never as good as nostalgia would have you believe.
    I hate to break it to you, but conservatism is about preserving and respecting history, traditions, and cultural icons, at the human level, just as the left is interested in conversation at the ecological level. Incidentally, the reason the latter hate the former is because they see it as an obstacle to remoulding society to their chosen ideology, and vice-versa. But the human conservative instinct is quite universal.

You can have progress, and be forward-looking, at the same time as cherishing and nurturing the best of your past.

It's not an either-or choice.
    This isn't conservatism, it's reactionary tosh designed to appeal to the charlatans who wear union jack boxer shorts and think that somehow makes them more British than others.

The government has, yet again, missed an opportunity to move on after Brexit. If an entirely new design had been produced for the passport, looking forward to the future, it would have been a sign that the government was looking to build a nation for all the people rather than a few diehards who won't actually get a passport in the first place. But the government's priorities are to appease the extremists rather than unite the country. Foolishly shortsighted.
    You said less than six months ago you didn't care what colour your passport is. Non-committal, agnostic, blase.

Now, it's a disaster.

Personally, I think you are just suspect of any post-Brexit initiative that Leavers warmly welcome, or enjoy. That just cuts right through you.

It's a redesign of a new passport in the traditional colour. Nothing more.

The idea it's extreme is swivel-eyed barmy.
    When have British passports ever been the colour of the EU flag before?
    Lol! Genuinely great attempt at trolling!

Chapeau, Sir.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If you were ever in doubt Mrs May is egregiously unfit for high office....

Theresa May has backed calls for a woman to play James Bond, revealing she was looking forward to watching Jodie Whittaker as the first female Doctor Who on Christmas Day.

The prime minister said she enjoyed watching the BBC programme and heralded the decision to give the iconic role to Whittaker as “girl power”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/leading-lady-theresa-may-calls-for-woman-to-play-james-bond

The James Bond franchise should be put to rest.

If people want a female spy, then create something original.
    The Bond franchise is endlessly adaptable within any given era so should continue. The films just need to be well-made.

I agree on the second point, though that just supports my first: there will always be a market for a good spy / action film but one aspect of that being good is getting the character right. Bond is who he is. If you want a female lead in that sort of film, create a new character.

FWIW, we're now so far from the time when the originals was written that society has moved on sufficiently to allow for considerably more scope in who can play him. I'd have no problem with a black actor, for example. But the character would still need the same essential background of someone who was both simultaneously from the establishment and a rebel against it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

*raises an eyebrow*

It's not the colour of thedocument itself that's interesting; just that it's one more step in the march toward a particularly tawdry and banal iteration of nationalism espoused by orcish leavers.
    Not really.

It just reminds some Remainers that Brexit is still happening, and they're worried it might be popular.
    I think it's a given that it's going to be popular. Among people who smoke cigarettes and have writing all over their clothes.
    Oh dear - you are the countess Nugee and I dip my white van lights in obeisance.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,605
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

ICAO standards on machine readable passports mean we won't be reverting back to the old carboard ones that looked like they were made by Valerie Singleton with a hangover. They will be just like the current ones except, er, blue.

Yes. Even if the colour hadn’t changed, the British passport would still look the same as it does now because of the international standards for machine readable passports that have taken affect in the meantime. As you say, the latest standard came from an ICAO working group more than a decade ago.
    https://www.ansi.org/news_publications/news_story?menuid=7&articleid=b2322239-a567-436e-a8b4-d6575c76eee6
    And even the colour choice is limited by international agreement:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/surprising-reasons-behind-the-colour-of-your-passport/

Sovereignty...schmovereignty.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Mortimer said:

*raises an eyebrow*

By the looks of this morning, u-turning on the policy would be pandering to militant Remainers.
    It's not even the right shade of blue. If the government wants to go full reactionary, I could get behind scrapping commemorative stamps and returning to producing only definitive issues. Otherwise, I'd prefer the government to be looking forward rather than harking back to a past that was never as good as nostalgia would have you believe.
    I hate to break it to you, but conservatism is about preserving and respecting history, traditions, and cultural icons, at the human level, just as the left is interested in conversation at the ecological level. Incidentally, the reason the latter hate the former is because they see it as an obstacle to remoulding society to their chosen ideology, and vice-versa. But the human conservative instinct is quite universal.

You can have progress, and be forward-looking, at the same time as cherishing and nurturing the best of your past.

It's not an either-or choice.
    This isn't conservatism, it's reactionary tosh designed to appeal to the charlatans who wear union jack boxer shorts and think that somehow makes them more British than others.

The government has, yet again, missed an opportunity to move on after Brexit. If an entirely new design had been produced for the passport, looking forward to the future, it would have been a sign that the government was looking to build a nation for all the people rather than a few diehards who won't actually get a passport in the first place. But the government's priorities are to appease the extremists rather than unite the country. Foolishly shortsighted.
    We can all think of one extremist who it has annoyed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Boris was so bad a communicator how come he is the only Tory ever to be elected Mayor of London and effectively the key figure in the winning Leave victory? Mogg is an excellent communicator and currently leads the Conservative Home Tory members poll as is Gove who is second . Rudd too did a good job debating for Remain in the EU referendum and stepping in for May in the general election debates. Davis if a deal is finally agreed with the EU will also have a chance.

Hunt had he stuck with the Remain camp may have had a chance being Remainers candidate to succeed May now having disowned the Remain campaign and said he would have backed Leave Rudd will likely be the candidate from that wing while Leaver MPs and members will choose Mogg, Gove, Boris and Davis before they choose him.

There is also no evidence at all yet Hunt appeals to the public and his deep unpopularity with NHS workers is not a good start on that front.

OGH's tip of Hunt is rather like his tip of Kendall in the 2015 Labour leadership race in my view

Politicians are a bit like managed funds...
    https://www.ifa.com/articles/past_performance_is_no_guarantee_of_future_results/
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2017

My wife was Bulgarian (she considers herself British first, now) and had a not dissimilar experience in the late 1990s. But, she has yet to meet (and I) EU nationals that feel that way. The ones she does are British people who tell her that's how EU nationals feel.

I always make a point of listening to those with very different life experiences to me. Provided they don't do it in a way which annoys me too much, which I admit is perhaps a subjective thing to judge..

Quite a few of the Spanish, Greek, Austrian and Portuguese that I work with have told me that they feel less at home here post Brexit.

Surely that was a feature not a bug though? Making the country less welcoming to immigrants was substantially the point of Brexit.
    Of course it was. The EU nationals I know are sick with worry that they are eventually going to be asked to leave and feel that London is surrounded by people who want to see them go.
  • Options

They're an image of the past, like steam trains and polio.

It seems like a cr@p, backward-looking change designed to placate people whose idealised memories of the past are better than the present.

And the EU, which has its origins in the 1957 Treaty of Rome?
    Actually, the EU has its origins in the 1951 Treaty of Paris.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    edited December 2017
    Brom said:

Brom said:

*raises an eyebrow*

If I were part of a government wanting to dampen down cries of betrayal and surrender from Brexiteers in advance of the second phase Brexit negotiations blue passports is pretty much exactly what I would come up with.

I couldn't give a monkeys about passport colour, but I don't understand the frothing anger from some quarters online just because we're changing it. By all means continue to get worked up by more significent aspects of Brexit but if changing the colour of your passport is making you this angry then perhaps it's time to have a long think about your life.

What on earth gives you the impression that I am angry about the colour of my next passport being different? I am much more interested in what my passport allows me to do. And on that front I am a lot more optimistic than I was a few short weeks ago.

Not you in particular, more the Guardian comments section (and maybe Scott P in fairness). To someone of my age it's not iconic and I couldn't care less, but it should not cause this level of resentment.
    The misconception that the burgundy passports were imposed on the UK by the EU certainly seems to have caused a deal of resentment among Brexitty oldsters. If this wasn't the case, there's no way this government would have engineered this very oddly hued squirrel.
  • Options

Theresa May has backed calls for a woman to play James Bond, revealing she was looking forward to watching Jodie Whittaker as the first female Doctor Who on Christmas Day.

The prime minister said she enjoyed watching the BBC programme and heralded the decision to give the iconic role to Whittaker as “girl power”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/leading-lady-theresa-may-calls-for-woman-to-play-james-bond

I tend to agree.
    That any PM should think their opinion on TV or cinema worth voicing is something to be clamped down on ruthlessly.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    HYUFD said:

Davis? Hasn't he gone yet? I thought he was walking when Green was to be thrown under a bus. The bus has come and gone and Green is under it, when is Davis walking?

Hunt or Rudd are the sane options.
  • Options

They're an image of the past, like steam trains and polio.

It seems like a cr@p, backward-looking change designed to placate people whose idealised memories of the past are better than the present.

And the EU, which has its origins in the 1957 Treaty of Rome?
    Actually, the EU has its origins in the 1951 Treaty of Paris.
    So even further back into the 1950s :)
  • Options
    I'll stand up for the Prime Minister in relation to her comments on Doctor Who and James Bond. She's commenting on the desirability of women role models not on artistic merit. That's a matter for public debate and one a woman Prime Minister is well placed to join in on.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Of course it was. The EU nationals I know are sick with worry that they are eventually going to be asked to leave and feel that London is surrounded by people who want to see them go.
    Ah if only you had taken more interest in the views of your compatriots this all could have been avoided
  • Options

Ah if only you had taken more interest in the views of your compatriots this all could have been avoided
    It's quite something to blame me for the unending idiocies that Leavers are subjecting us to.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

Davis? Hasn't he gone yet? I thought he was walking when Green was to be thrown under a bus. The bus has come and gone and Green is under it, when is Davis walking?

Davis came joint top of the last Luntz focus group as to who should succeed May with Mogg (the same Luntz focus group which picked Cameron in 2005). Davis also is not on record anywhere as saying he would resign if Green went and certainly not for misleading statements.

Labour and LD Remainers favour Hunt or Rudd but almost none of them would vote Tory anyway so their opinion is about as useful as Tories for Kendall in 2015.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

I agree - we seem to have a December silly season now - PM opining on female Bonds, furious debates on passport colour. But in fairness remember that interviews are often misreported to give the impression that the interviewee has spontaneously come up with the thought - quite likely the journalist asked her and she (perhaps unwisely) replied.

A bit like Brexit, really. Lots of people had no strong views either way, but as they were asked, they gave an opinion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Davis came joint top of the last Luntz focus group as to who should succeed May with Mogg (the same Luntz focus group which picked Cameron in 2005). Davis also is not on record anywhere as saying he would resign if Green went and certainly not for misleading statements.

Labour and LD Remainers favour Hunt or Rudd but almost none of them would vote Tory anyway so their opinion is about as useful as Tories for Kendall in 2015.
    More chance of me voting for Hunt or Rudd as PM than any of the drongos you have cited.

That said, in the past you have stated the Conservatives don't want my vote anyway.
  • Options

I agree - we seem to have a December silly season now - PM opining on female Bonds, furious debates on passport colour. But in fairness remember that interviews are often misreported to give the impression that the interviewee has spontaneously come up with the thought - quite likely the journalist asked her and she (perhaps unwisely) replied.

A bit like Brexit, really. Lots of people had no strong views either way, but as they were asked, they gave an opinion.
    Far too sensible.
    Nah, they just did what Russian twitter bots told them.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Indeed, rather like Alistair was a swing voter, but seems to have a relative strong feeling 18 months later
  • Options

DavidL said:

I've been saying this for some time. I remember being particularly impressed when he was sent to a R5 Live phone in during the 2015 election as a substitute for Cameron at pretty short notice. He handled difficult questions with the same clarity and at least superficial straightforwardness that we heard yesterday.

He has many of Cameron's attributes as a communicator. He perhaps doesn't have the extra gears of sheer intellect that Cameron has but I can't think of anyone currently in public life that does. As a very definite Cameroon his star waned somewhat when May took the leadership and he was sidelined to a degree. His enthusiastic support for May yesterday showed how he has overcome that.

For me, he is a class apart from any of the contenders. A remainer determined to make Brexit work, a unifier, a team player with a bit of steel as we saw when he refused to be bullied by the junior doctors, a man who has handled a very difficult brief during the longest period of restraint in health spending since the NHS was formed without it destroying the government. It's not even close.

Cameron’s a huge fan of Hunt too which should help.
    Correction Cameron was a fan of Hunt until Hunt stabbed Cameron in the back and said in retrospect he was wrong to back Remain. Now Cameron will back Rudd as he was all set to do earlier in the year if May had gone if he backs anyone.

Neither Remainers nor Leavers trust Hunt now.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean_F said:

Jane Austen Powers maybe?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Indeed, rather like Alistair was a swing voter, but seems to have a relative strong feeling 18 months later
    I've moved strongly against Leave. I am no more enthused by the EU than I was 2 years ago. The way in which the referendum was won was despicable and Leave proponents have if anything got worse since.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

It's quite something to blame me for the unending idiocies that Leavers are subjecting us to.
    Really ?

you seem quite happy to blame all and sundry for whatever you dont like irrespective of what they actually think
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Thanks again, Dr Palmer, for showing your contempt for public opinion, as you did when you smugly voted through the Lisbon Treaty without a referendum.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

I'll stand up for the Prime Minister in relation to her comments on Doctor Who and James Bond. She's commenting on the desirability of women role models not on artistic merit. That's a matter for public debate and one a woman Prime Minister is well placed to join in on.

They’re the sort of inane questions that journalists love to ask politicians, especially at this time of year.

You are of course completely right that the PM should have an interest in female role models, no matter what we think of her there’s no doubt that having a woman lead the government is a good example to show to our daughters.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More chance of me voting for Hunt or Rudd as PM than any of the drongos you have cited.

That said, in the past you have stated the Conservatives don't want my vote anyway.
    When was the last time you voted Tory at a general election?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYFUD.Your last paragraph is correct in my opinion.Also have to agree with you regarding Boris.He is a proven winner against a left candidate in London.
  • Options

She's perfectly entitled to have her say. It's just a shame that, to me, her answer is the wrong one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I've been saying this for some time. I remember being particularly impressed when he was sent to a R5 Live phone in during the 2015 election as a substitute for Cameron at pretty short notice. He handled difficult questions with the same clarity and at least superficial straightforwardness that we heard yesterday.

He has many of Cameron's attributes as a communicator. He perhaps doesn't have the extra gears of sheer intellect that Cameron has but I can't think of anyone currently in public life that does. As a very definite Cameroon his star waned somewhat when May took the leadership and he was sidelined to a degree. His enthusiastic support for May yesterday showed how he has overcome that.

For me, he is a class apart from any of the contenders. A remainer determined to make Brexit work, a unifier, a team player with a bit of steel as we saw when he refused to be bullied by the junior doctors, a man who has handled a very difficult brief during the longest period of restraint in health spending since the NHS was formed without it destroying the government. It's not even close.

Correction Cameron was a fan of Hunt until Hunt stabbed Cameron in the back and said in retrospect he was wrong to back Remain. Now Cameron will back Rudd as he was all set to do earlier in the year if May had gone if he backs anyone.

Oh, come on - they're all politicians. None of them really trust any of them. You do seem to have a particular animus for Hunt though - why?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYFUD.Your last paragraph is correct in my opinion.Also have to agree with you regarding Boris.He is a proven winner against a left candidate in London.
    Yes we need to get Tory voters and former Tory voters to vote for us not listen to those who would not touch the Tories with a bargepole
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

1) He hasn’t stabbed Dave in the back nor does Dave consider it a back stabbing offence

2) On your past logic, because Dave didn’t publicly and on the record back Rudd it didn’t happen

3) Cameron’s backing off Rudd was because Hunt wasn’t standing
  • Options

In fairness you do come across as someone who rarely steps outside their comfort zone and meets people with different views. I presume you live in London and rarely get out to other parts of the country. It's one thing pointing out the pitfalls of Brexit, but another being dismissive of millions and millions of people.
  • Options

And yet, none of these people exist.

I work with lots of EU nationals in London. Not one has ever said anything of the sort. This is a fantasy of British Remainers.

No doubt if you initiate conversation with them about how terrible Brexit is, they might humour you, but no-one has ever volunteered any concerns to me. Not once.

And, no, they don't know I voted Leave.
  • Options
    Why not have a fight over whether it was Blue or Black (mine looks a very dark blue...)

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/944152860098465797
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

maaarsh said:

I've moved strongly against Leave. I am no more enthused by the EU than I was 2 years ago. The way in which the referendum was won was despicable and Leave proponents have if anything got worse since.
    Presumably some would argue that those advocating remain have got worse (not naming names, obviously)
  • Options
    Brom said:

In fairness you do come across as someone who rarely steps outside their comfort zone and meets people with different views. I presume you live in London and rarely get out to other parts of the country. It's one thing pointing out the pitfalls of Brexit, but another being dismissive of millions and millions of people.
    You presume wrongly. I should imagine I'm in the top 1% of pbers for travelling around different parts of the country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

1) He hasn’t stabbed Dave in the back nor does Dave consider it a back stabbing offence

2) On your past logic, because Dave didn’t publicly and on the record back Rudd it didn’t happen

Cameron does not do betrayal, now Hunt has disowned the Remain campaign he previously backed Cameron will not forgive nor forget.

Cameron only did not back Rudd in June as May stayed if he was going to back anyone and he may stay silent, it would be Rudd.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The Bond franchise is endlessly adaptable within any given era so should continue. The films just need to be well-made.

I agree on the second point, though that just supports my first: there will always be a market for a good spy / action film but one aspect of that being good is getting the character right. Bond is who he is. If you want a female lead in that sort of film, create a new character.

FWIW, we're now so far from the time when the originals was written that society has moved on sufficiently to allow for considerably more scope in who can play him. I'd have no problem with a black actor, for example. But the character would still need the same essential background of someone who was both simultaneously from the establishment and a rebel against it.
    That's a fair comment.

I would have no issue with a black actor playing Bond provided it was because he was the right actor for the part, and not just because he's black in order to make a point about modern Britain.

I suspect, sadly, there be pressure for it to be done for the latter reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

maaarsh said:

Presumably some would argue that those advocating remain have got worse (not naming names, obviously)
    Certainly less self aware about it. It makes them feel better.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Oh, come on - they're all politicians. None of them really trust any of them. You do seem to have a particular animus for Hunt though - why?
    Hunt is a perfectly good Health Secretary in my view as Gove is a perfectly good Cabinet Minister too but my gut tells me neither would have a chance of beating Corbyn.

Neither have enough appeal with Middle England to make up for the loathing of them by the Left and public sector.
  • Options
    One point about Jeremy Hunt which might not be obvious from his public persona is that he is ruthlessly political. At the same time he has an emollient manner and remains polite and controlled. It's a good combination.

He's also conscientious and pays attention to detail.
  • Options

Brom said:

You presume wrongly. I should imagine I'm in the top 1% of pbers for travelling around different parts of the country.
    Do you drive?
    I travel home and away for football and regularly end up in random towns up and down England. I just can't imagine you're as condescending in person to 'hoodwinked' and 'ill informed' leave voters as you sometimes are on here.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2017

I think the sickness may be paranoia, this is treatable or can be helped with treatment.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Considering how many supporters of leaving the EU there are on here, and that quite a number of them do want to end freedom of movement, there are surprisingly few hateful, xenophobic views expressed, given that we're all meant to be evil racists.

The hatred here seems to me to all come from a few rabid remainers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I work with lots of EU nationals in London. Not one has ever said anything of the sort. This is a fantasy of British Remainers.

No doubt if you initiate conversation with them about how terrible Brexit is, they might humour you, but no-one has ever volunteered any concerns to me. Not once.

Since their right to remain has been guaranteed, what's there to worry about?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Cameron does not do betrayal, now Hunt has disowned the Remain campaign he previously backed Cameron will not forgive nor forget.
    When did he 'disown' the Remain campaign? As I've read it his conversion is sheer opportunism a mixture of respect for the vote and a response to the EU's reaction....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

And the plot should show her eating vegan food, reading the Guardian, lamenting Brexit, and cutting off the balls of any men who attempt to seduce her.
  • Options

Brom said:

You don’t strike me as a travelling salesman.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2017 I voted for Alun Cairns as an excellent local candidate who had recently resolved an issue with the DVLA for my eldest son. Technically that then doesn't count, I have never voted for the Conservatives as a party.
  • Options

I would have no issue with a black actor playing Bond

How noble and progressive of you. Idris Elba must be relieved that he has your permission to play Bond.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

*raises an eyebrow*

Absolute nonsense.

I do not remember the old passports. I do remember having to queue up at the "Aliens" channel when coming back to England with my Italian mother as I travelled on her passport.

Changing the colour of the passports is a triviality. But it seems to matter to people who are nostalgic for a time when this is how Britain appeared to those who were married to and mothers of its citizens. It is, frankly, a nostalgia I can do without.

There are many reasons for being critical of the EU and there are also good reasons for thinking that Britain may be better off, depending on what you value, outside the EU. But doing it because you want to change the colour of your passport is pathetic. In my view.
    It has nothing to do with that. No-one is going to make anyone queue up at an "Aliens" counter again. Not in this day and age.

Well, I hope so.

But some EU nationals here do

It is why I wrote this header recently - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/15/to-get-the-tone-right-it-has-to-come-from-the-top/

No. It was about reestablishing control over the types and numbers. Then, British people will be happy to be generous.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

When did he 'disown' the Remain campaign? As I've read it his conversion is sheer opportunism a mixture of respect for the vote and a response to the EU's reaction....
    I think those two words with a line through say it all
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

How noble and progressive of you. Idris Elba must be relieved that he has your permission to play Bond.

An idiotic comment that's come to be expected on here from an idiotic poster.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Brom said:

Maybe he's like that Mage in the film version of Warcraft who wonders around the world in his own protective shield bubble.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I think those two words with a line through say it all
    You'll be saying he's a 'politician' next.....
  • Options

Except it is not...

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/944005232043814913

But I agree with SO. It is a fairly harmless way to keep Sun readers briefly happy.

It all looks so damn depressing: Which colour blue is represented within the Saltaire. Hampden Park Clown Blue to the left or regal English blue to the right? And who pays the bennies...?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2017 I voted for Alun Cairns as an excellent local candidate who had recently resolved an issue with the DVLA for my eldest son. Technically that then doesn't count, I have never voted for the Conservatives as a party.
    So in that case you voted for the local candidate only anyway
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Since their right to remain has been guaranteed, what's there to worry about?
    I assume some of them don't trust the government. But realistically if there was some toxic fallout in the negotiations that lead to people being sent home (less than 5% chance IMO) I presume they would blame the EU as much as they blame the Tories...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

He's too old and not good enough at acting so that might hold him back a bit
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Brom said:

Not you in particular, more the Guardian comments section (and maybe Scott P in fairness).

What makes you think I am angry?

It's the funniest thing for days. It is ironic that the current purple matches the faces of Brexiteers excited by this sort of stuff more closely than the Excursion Bus blue that the Sun seem to be punting today
  • Options

Except it is not...

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/944005232043814913

But I agree with SO. It is a fairly harmless way to keep Sun readers briefly happy.

It all looks so damn depressing: Which colour blue is represented within the Saltaire. Hampden Park Clown Blue to the left or regal English blue to the right? And who pays the bennies...?
    Saltaire is a fine example of a model industrial village in Yorkshire, rightly granted World Heritage status about 15 years ago (when I represented it on Bradford Council, as it happens).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD doesn't speak for the Conservatives.

They do want your support (and vote)
  • Options
    To be fair, the photo in the Guardian does appear a bit closer to the very dark blue of the old passport:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/british-passports-will-be-navy-blue-after-brexit-says-home-office
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Brom said:

Not you in particular, more the Guardian comments section (and maybe Scott P in fairness).

It's the funniest thing for days. It is ironic that the current purple matches the faces of Brexiteers excited by this sort of stuff more closely than the Excursion Bus blue that the Sun seem to be punting today
    Just because you're getting wound up by it in your posts I guess. I'm not excited by this, burgundy suited me fine, maybe there's a cartoon on twitter that might cheer you up :)
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Brom said:

Maybe he's like that Mage in the film version of Warcraft who wonders around the world in his own protective shield bubble.
    Maybe I just meet different people and listen. Surely the whole point of being an Anywhere rather than a Somewhere is that you travel about quite a bit.

I do find it remarkable how many Leavers on here seem to think that passing gratuitous comment on me somehow advances any discussion. As if I'm the slightest bit important. Still, if they're leaving some other poor bugger alone I suppose it does no harm.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

*raises an eyebrow*

Absolute nonsense.

Changing the .

Well, I hope so.

But some EU nationals here do

My wife ..

No. It was about reestablishing control over the types and numbers. Then, British people will be happy to be generous.
    I think the congruity between those wanting "control" of immigration and those wanting a sharp reduction is very high. I dont think anyone advocates a controlled increase, and as employment rates of EU migrants are very high, clearly there is a great demand for their work, whether skilled or unskilled.

Pretending that "control" means anything other than making a hostile environment for immigrants is just cant. While May has explicitly built a "hostile environment" to illegals, it does carry over to legal migrants.

http://thejusticegap.com/2017/07/creating-hostile-environment-theresa-mays-immigration-record/

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Brom said:

I’m very disappointed they won’t be black. It won’t match my jackboots.
  • Options

Brom said:

I seem to remember you posting that you haven't driven a car since around 1990? If so then your statement almost certainly can't be true. Large parts of the UK are a very long way from a train station.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Just because you're getting wound up by it in your posts

Eh?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I've had another PB crowdfunding idea to reach out to remainers.

We could fund a field trip to Hartlepool for Meeks, Roger, Glenn n Eagles so they can personally educate the racist morons there. Maybe buy them Team "I Love EU" tshirts (or how about sandwich boards?) for easier identification. I'm sure they'd all relish the opportunity to spread their EU love.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Cameron only did not back Rudd in June as May stayed if he was going to back anyone and he may stay silent, it would be Rudd.
    Why do you think Cameron's endorsement makes any significant difference?
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Brom said:

I seem to remember you posting that you haven't driven a car since around 1990? If so then your statement almost certainly can't be true. Large parts of the UK are a very long way from a train station.
    You’ve not heard of taxis and chauffeurs?
  • Options

I also know a fair few EU nationals here, mostly London professionals and spouses of friends and neighbours. None of them I've spoken to on the topic seem petrified of being sent home, but practically all of them are upset about Brexit.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

He's too old and not good enough at acting so that might hold him back a bit
    Neither of those factors have traditionally been impediments to getting the part.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Bloody hell I travel all the way back to London and people are still talking about the colour of passports. Isn't there anything else happening today?
  • Options

We could fund a field trip to Hartlepool for Meeks, Roger, Glenn n Eagles so they can personally educate the racist morons there. Maybe buy them Team "I Love EU" tshirts (or how about sandwich boards?) for easier identification. I'm sure they'd all relish the opportunity to spread their EU love.

I spread my EU love last year.

I campaigned for Remain in South and West Yorkshire.

I’m not keen on going to Hartlepool, they have really poor judgement up there, for example they repeatedly elected Peter Mandelson as their MP, they also executed a monkey thinking it was a French spy.

You can’t have a reasoned argument with such people.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

I also know a fair few EU nationals here, mostly London professionals and spouses of friends and neighbours. None of them I've spoken to on the topic seem petrified of being sent home, but practically all of them are upset about Brexit.
    None that I deal with fear being sent home, but a good number have had second thoughts about staying here. Partly this is Brexit related, but also the deteriorating working conditions here, devaluation of Sterling and resurgence of economies in the EZ has combined to reverse the flow, at least in healthcare.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Bloody hell I travel all the way back to London and people are still talking about the colour of passports. Isn't there anything else happening today?

We could talk about the impact analyses...

@Dave99notout: Public Transport:

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    round and round,
    round and round.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    all day long...

#WriteABrexitSectorReport
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    I see Bitcoin is having a bit of a rough day... :D
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

I’m not keen on going to Hartlepool, they have really poor judgement up there, for example they repeatedly elected Peter Mandelson as their MP, they also executed a monkey thinking it was a French spy.

One of my many mistakes in life was failing to 'pursue a relationship’ wsith a girl from Hartlepool.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, the maddest lawsuit of the year - Apple being sued because its software works exactly as it should:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/22/apple-lawsuits-intentional-slowing-older-iphones
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

MaxPB said:

Yes, the maddest lawsuit of the year - Apple being sued because its software works exactly as it should:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/22/apple-lawsuits-intentional-slowing-older-iphones
    What about the bloke who failed to get a First and sued Oford, blaming it’s teaching?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

I see Bitcoin is having a bit of a rough day... :D

@rcs1000 must be selling his last 1%
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

None that I deal with fear being sent home, but a good number have had second thoughts about staying here. Partly this is Brexit related, but also the deteriorating working conditions here, devaluation of Sterling and resurgence of economies in the EZ has combined to reverse the flow, at least in healthcare.
    Exactly. Worth pointing out also that many Europeans here.....also Americans, Australians etc....came here with the intention of going back home some day. For a large variety of reasons. I had a Dutch colleague here who wanted his kids to grow up learning and speaking Dutch....Australian friends who think growing up in Oz is better for the kids. I think Brexit will probably cause many such people to bring forward the date they return home. Their place will largely be filled by Asians and Africans who will live here for good. UKIP and their voters will have replaced a chunk of temporary white Christian immigrants with permanent brown and black ones, quite an irony.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    MaxPB said:

No, little things please little minds.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Welcome from PPrune-land: You sounded brighter over there. Idris Elba has already spoken about how we English treat our past, present and future.

[Did Bagers ban you? I hope not.]

:tumbleweed:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

What about the bloke who failed to get a First and sued Oford, blaming it’s teaching?
    Good point, that's even madder.

An honourable mention should also be given to this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/26/mike-ashley-high-court-pub-deal-jeffrey-blue-sports-direct-newcastle-united
  • Options

One of my many mistakes in life was failing to 'pursue a relationship’ wsith a girl from Hartlepool.
    You can tell when a Hartlepool girls comes because she'll drop her chips.
This discussion has been closed.