Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Young voters are much more opposed to blue passports being bro

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

calum said:

Brutal day in cryptoland - https://onchainfx.com/v/KApsiV

Reality is a cruel mistress......
    What I find interesting is that amongst all the major cryptocurrencies Bitcoin is actually down the least, a mere 25% (things called Firstcoin and Komodo are down slightly less. Nope, me neither). One hesitates to suggest this is a flight to quality, perhaps a flight to greater liquidity.
    Bitcoin supports the prices of all the other coins. Thing of it as the South Sea Company stock to the stocks for a company That Proposes to a Great Undertaking.
    That was a particularly profitable bubble. We're still spending the proceeds 300 years later :smiley:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2017
    Sandpit said:

Hope everyone who’s sold Bitcoin recently had their transaction confirmed. It possible that by tomorrow there will be no buyers at any price as everything catches up.

Definitely not a bubble.....btw, I have some tulip bulbs I am trying to sell.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    At the 2014 London local elections Labour polled 37%. At the general election they got 55%. That would be a pretty big swing if replicated next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_local_elections,_2014#Results
  • Options
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

calum said:

What I find interesting is that amongst all the major cryptocurrencies Bitcoin is actually down the least, a mere 25% (things called Firstcoin and Komodo are down slightly less. Nope, me neither). One hesitates to suggest this is a flight to quality, perhaps a flight to greater liquidity.
    Bitcoin supports the prices of all the other coins. Thing of it as the South Sea Company stock to the stocks for a company That Proposes to a Great Undertaking.
    That was a particularly profitable bubble. We're still spending the proceeds 300 years later :smiley:
    Have you ever boasted that your fortunes derived from outwitting the Master of the Royal Mint in a financial matter ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

calum said:

"Bubble" is just a word for a bull market that you don't have a (long) position in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On topic. I find this all very strange. I find it downright weird that anyone could actively either be in favour of or oppose changing the colour of a passport. It seems such an entirely non-issue to me either way.

Yet leave were the ones who wanted this change ...
    No. Some people wanted the change and for them it was an issue. Most of us don't really give a toss about the colour. What matters is that we stop being EU citizens.

Personally I think we should go for a bit of flair and get Jean Paul Gaultier to design the next passport colour scheme.
    I think we should do what seen m Sweden does, and allow people to pay extra for different colour passports.
    An excellent idea.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

On topic. I find this all very strange. I find it downright weird that anyone could actively either be in favour of or oppose changing the colour of a passport. It seems such an entirely non-issue to me either way.

No. Some people wanted the change and for them it was an issue. Most of us don't really give a toss about the colour. What matters is that we stop being EU citizens.

Personally I think we should go for a bit of flair and get Jean Paul Gaultier to design the next passport colour scheme.
    I think we should do what seen m Sweden does, and allow people to pay extra for different colour passports.
    Surely their Jackbooted hun overlords would not allow such a deviation from theirdiktats about Burgundy?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Off topic, I've just been to M&S to do some Xmas food shopping. It was a complete disaster zone. Even the queue to pick up orders was a mile long. Now heading to Waitrose to try my luck at finding a non-Turkey bird for 7 people.

We're having our shopping delivered from Sainsbury's tomorrow... So I'm sitting at home nice and relaxed munching on a mince pie.

Just though I'd share that with you! :D
    Sitting there as smug as someone who got on Jeremy Hunt for next leader at better than 100/1.

Merry Christmas.
    No I'm not quite *that* smug...

Congrats and Merry Christmas. :D
    I am double smug, as I had a Sainsbury delivery yesterday AND have Hunt at 110/1.

Merry Christmas everyone!! :smiley:
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

An excellent idea.
    Blue: standard price
    Burgundy: £500 supplement
    Platinum: £5000 supplement
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996

I really should get out more! I belong to a group which has a number of overseas (and British) holiday homes .... no, not timeshare....... and I went onto the users Facebook page and asked them if they cared about the passport colour. I’ve had thirty (at least) replies. The consensus was summed up by someone who said 'I just want a passport that gets me out (and back) with minimal fuss - the colour is irrelevent!’, although two people did say they wanted the blue ones and one or two others wanted other colours.... lime green was mentioned... to brighten up travel! There was a concern too about ‘what are they trying to sneak through while we’re all up in arms about this?'
    Other comments include concern that the blue will show up wine stains, wheres the current one doesn’t. The group is composed of, generally speaking of 45+’s people, probably social class B/C1.

Hope this helps!

It would have been interesting if you'd conducted the same experiment before the change was announced, as it appeared to have bothered a fair few people before ...
  • Options
    A nice graph here which shows how dependent the UK economy was on household debt before the recession:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/bulletins/quarterlysectoraccounts/julytoseptember2017#household-debt-rose-by-its-slowest-rate-since-quarter-4-2013

Over half a trillion quid of household borrowing between 2003 and 2007.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited December 2017

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Off topic, I've just been to M&S to do some Xmas food shopping. It was a complete disaster zone. Even the queue to pick up orders was a mile long. Now heading to Waitrose to try my luck at finding a non-Turkey bird for 7 people.

We're having our shopping delivered from Sainsbury's tomorrow... So I'm sitting at home nice and relaxed munching on a mince pie.

Just though I'd share that with you! :D
    Sitting there as smug as someone who got on Jeremy Hunt for next leader at better than 100/1.

Merry Christmas.
    No I'm not quite *that* smug...

Congrats and Merry Christmas. :D
    I am double smug, as I had a Sainsbury delivery yesterday AND have Hunt at 110/1.

Merry Christmas everyone!! :smiley:
    Tell me you didn't have to spend two hours on the dog trying to get everything you wanted delivered?

[face_praying]
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

"Some people" ?

"The passport is routinely redesigned every five years and Eurosceptics view the new contract as a way to ditch the EU burgundy cover in favour of a return to the colour of the past."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-4372688/Tory-MPs-stamp-approval-return-blue-passports-Brexit.html + more.

I'm pi**ed off by this. I like the current colour, and see the change as a backwards, retrograde step.
    In what way will the change of colour make your life any different. You can just get a burgundy passport cover, I'm sure they will have a firesale.
    In what way does changing the colour make the leavers' who screamed about it any different?

Yet, we're going to change, and suddenly all the leavers are staring at their feet and saying: "Not me, guv!"

But to answer your question: I prefer burgundy. All my previous passports have been burgundy. Also, it's an unnecessary change.

Whilst you might laugh at those reasons, they're as valid as the people who wanted to change them back to blue because, well, just because.
    Not all Leavers wanted to change passport colours. Personally I never gave it a moments thought abour it and would be fine with red, green, blue or even purple coloured passports (wI would expect European Union to be taking off it once we leave obviously)

I found Nigel Farage running around the country brandishing his passport one of the the more cringe moments of the referendum (and there were a LOT of those)..
    Fair enough. So why change?
    Don't ask me...

EDIT: But by the same token, why not change?

Who cares.

*shrug*
    I'm an engineer, and slightly small-c conservative in nature. Why change anything if it's not broken?
  • Options
    Well, 110/1 is very nice.

Almost half as good as the 250/1 on Verstappen to win the Spanish Grand Prix, expertly (ahem) tipped by me last year.

Mind you, I've made up for it since [not literally, fortunately].
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

An excellent idea.
    For those who worship at the alter of the iPhone X....Rose Gold...£10k....and it won't work properly all of the time at the automatic passport control booths, especially if you are of Chinese descent.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,986

I really should get out more! I belong to a group which has a number of overseas (and British) holiday homes .... no, not timeshare....... and I went onto the users Facebook page and asked them if they cared about the passport colour. I’ve had thirty (at least) replies. The consensus was summed up by someone who said 'I just want a passport that gets me out (and back) with minimal fuss - the colour is irrelevent!’, although two people did say they wanted the blue ones and one or two others wanted other colours.... lime green was mentioned... to brighten up travel! There was a concern too about ‘what are they trying to sneak through while we’re all up in arms about this?'
    Other comments include concern that the blue will show up wine stains, wheres the current one doesn’t. The group is composed of, generally speaking of 45+’s people, probably social class B/C1.

Hope this helps!

It would have been interesting if you'd conducted the same experiment before the change was announced, as it appeared to have bothered a fair few people before ...
    I didn’t realise Brandon Lewis had so little to do that he did this!
  • Options

Never do the turkey on its own as it's too dry; so cook something like sausage meat as well.

Add bread sauce to lubricate, and cranberry to spice up.

Then it's enjoyable.

Agreed.

Some turkey, some pork and plenty of the little sausages and bacon bits.

Giving plenty of variety in the bland to tasty and dry to moist ranges.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153

rcs1000 said:

An excellent idea.
    Perhaps passports could be personalised?
  • Options

A nice graph here which shows how dependent the UK economy was on household debt before the recession:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/bulletins/quarterlysectoraccounts/julytoseptember2017#household-debt-rose-by-its-slowest-rate-since-quarter-4-2013

An interesting graph here too, on our relative G7 performance.

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/943861458030481408
  • Options
    Never mind the colour, how quaint is it that passports are still little books made of paper, and how long will that continue to be the case? It surely can't be long before they are cards with chips in them, or bionic implants.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    The argument for changing the passport colour is sound: Brexit is happening anyway, bar an aberration, so with the new European policy let's have a new Britain. This would be a good thing and it won TMay a lot of goodwill. In practice, though, the outcome is galling because reverting to the old colour is a conscious political message saying New Brexit, Old Britain. If the older people don't see why, imagine if joining the EU had involved re-introducing the culture of the 1910s.
  • Options

Snake in a tunnel eh?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited December 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Never mind the colour, how quaint is it that passports are still little books made of paper, and how long will that continue to be the case? It surely can't be long before they are cards with chips in them, or bionic implants.

They ARE cards with chips in them. They just happen to have little booklets attached for these things called 'visas'.

Or are you saying we should treat visas like a Visa?
  • Options
    The Grand Tour: season two review – another lap of spectacle and sexism

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/08/grand-tour-season-two-review-amazon-prime

Translated from Guardian speak....its a return to original mega popular Top Gear...
  • Options
    edited December 2017

twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/943861458030481408
    Seems to me like the trend was downwards way before Brexit, while the others were rising.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,079
    edited December 2017

And what we're now seeing is a long overdue and very necessary rebalancing of the economy.

Which is why both the current account and government budget deficits have fallen sharply while manufacturing has had its longest period of growth for over twenty years.

Of course if you prefer to continue with the Osbrowne economy of ever increasing house prices and ever increasing imported consumer tat 'paid' for by ever increasing debt you're free to say so.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

But paper is useful. I was once behind a someone who needed to explain why there was a page missing from his passport. "Because I needed to give my phone number to someone".
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    So from the comments on this thread, a lot of people seem to have:

1. No strong feelings about the colour of their passport
    2. Some strong feelings about the idea of other people having strong feelings about the colour of their passport.
    3. An unwillingness to distinguish between 1. and 2. in people on the other side of the political divide.
  • Options
    I got a new passport recently. The inside has been compleatly redesigned compared to my old one with different images on each page; I assume this is to make forging one a pain.
  • Options
    EPG said:

The argument for changing the passport colour is sound: Brexit is happening anyway, bar an aberration, so with the new European policy let's have a new Britain. This would be a good thing and it won TMay a lot of goodwill. In practice, though, the outcome is galling because reverting to the old colour is a conscious political message saying New Brexit, Old Britain. If the older people don't see why, imagine if joining the EU had involved re-introducing the culture of the 1910s.

Are there any Brexiteers out there who want to take up the challenge by talking about the culture of international unification and Germany's desire to take over Eastern Europe just prior to the First World War?

None? Oh well, that's a shame. It might have been a vaguely interesting discussion.

It is worth - on a more serious note - pointing out that while in the nineteenth century the pressure was for established nation states to expand outwards via imperial adventures (mostly - Austria was maybe an exception) the twentieth century was about the breaking down of larger units into smaller states. Thus in the 1880s the Imperial Federation League was active in promoting unification of the British Empire into one political unit, in 1931 most of the 'white' Empire was given independence - similarly in 1871 Prussia united most of the German states along with large chunks of Polish, French and Danish areas in the twentieth century they elected to go their own ways (admittedly most of them had no choice in the matter).

Instinct is telling me the EU in trying to form a superstate is going the wrong way. If anything, the smaller blocks are looking for more independence, not to cede it further away. I could be wildly wrong (I often am) but I think the project as set out is going to end in disaster. Meanwhile a continent wide economic area of nation states could be a winner.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists? I can't see how this helps the Conservatives with a hearts and minds campaign for those voters who turned out in droves in June to vote against them.

Anyway, those who don't want a passport are getting to choose the colour for those who do. I'm sure there's a logic there somewhere.

How are Conservatives supposed to appeal to such voters without becoming left-wing and going against Brexit, and thus losing the essence of what they stand for, which, quite apart from being pointless, would also alienate the older voters?

Try not to respond with a dig at Leavers or Conservatives, but a genuine answer.

How?

You've previously said building a message around "rewarding good work" might be the right move, which I found interesting.
    You regard hard truths as digs. But Leave is a moral disaster, is perceived as such by millions and they are neither going to forgive or forget those who implemented it. The Conservatives have probably lost a whole generation as a result for the indefinite future. They certainly deserve to.

A strong Conservative Prime Minister who was trying to be inclusive to those outside the tent would be astonishing the headbangers with her ingratitude, not signalling that she feels they need to be bought off with symbols. Time and again self-described moderate Leavers are failing to distance themselves from the nutters. The only conclusion has to be that they enjoy their company.
    May is bringing back blue passports just to annoy you.
    Anyone who prefers burgundy is a traitor who prefers the colours of the occupier.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists? I can't see how this helps the Conservatives with a hearts and minds campaign for those voters who turned out in droves in June to vote against them.

Anyway, those who don't want a passport are getting to choose the colour for those who do. I'm sure there's a logic there somewhere.

How are Conservatives supposed to appeal to such voters without becoming left-wing and going against Brexit, and thus losing the essence of what they stand for, which, quite apart from being pointless, would also alienate the older voters?

Try not to respond with a dig at Leavers or Conservatives, but a genuine answer.

How?

You've previously said building a message around "rewarding good work" might be the right move, which I found interesting.
    You regard hard truths as digs. But Leave is a moral disaster, is perceived as such by millions and they are neither going to forgive or forget those who implemented it. The Conservatives have probably lost a whole generation as a result for the indefinite future. They certainly deserve to.

A strong Conservative Prime Minister who was trying to be inclusive to those outside the tent would be astonishing the headbangers with her ingratitude, not signalling that she feels they need to be bought off with symbols. Time and again self-described moderate Leavers are failing to distance themselves from the nutters. The only conclusion has to be that they enjoy their company.
    Anyone who prefers burgundy is a traitor who prefers the colours of the occupier.
    I don't think we were ever occupied by Burgundy. The Simnel conspiracy of 1487 was probably the nearest we came to that, and Burgundy was ruled by an Englishwoman at the time.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited December 2017
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sad, sad sad.

On Christmas eve we usually get ourselves some treats for the evening with just the immediate family before the work of the next day. We get my daughter some Nandos. There is a homeless person who sleeps outside their shop. The last couple of years I have given her £20 and she has been incredibly grateful but I actually feel ashamed about how lucky we are and how easy it is to turn the head and not see.
    The best thing is to give to the charities who try to help. The trouble is that the problem is not simply one of having somewhere to go, but multiple issues of addiction, alcohol, family breakdown, and mental illness. I thought that article captured that well.
    I always give a good donation to the Salvation Army, they are heroes and seem untainted by the shadow that hangs over our charitable sector now. I am not religious but if religions were all like that....

The article does reflect the complexity of the problems. Everything the family gave him sold for drink. Some people are unfortunately very hard to help.
    Yep, Sally Army are great at looking after people who have fallen through the cracks, also give generously to local food banks and a lot of churches get food parcels together at Christmas too.

If anyone sees a paid chugger from Shelter, ask them how many people their charity will be providing shelter for this Christmas. For some reason they don’t know the answer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

They ARE cards with chips in them. They just happen to have little booklets attached for these things called 'visas'.

Well, yes. There is no need for the passport to contain visa information, the scanner at immigration in the issuing country just needs to know to connect the passport with the visa, which is no more complicated than an ATM being able to see whether you have any money to withdraw.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, during that decade we've been at the top thrice and bottom thrice. Our trajectory was not altered at all by the vote.

The graph is no cause for alarm.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Well, yes. There is no need for the passport to contain visa information, the scanner at immigration in the issuing country just needs to know to connect the passport with the visa, which is no more complicated than an ATM being able to see whether you have any money to withdraw.
    So you're saying that technology means traditional passports have their chips?

As I am off to a concert I really do need to get my coat. Have a good evening.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sad, sad sad.

On Christmas eve we usually get ourselves some treats for the evening with just the immediate family before the work of the next day. We get my daughter some Nandos. There is a homeless person who sleeps outside their shop. The last couple of years I have given her £20 and she has been incredibly grateful but I actually feel ashamed about how lucky we are and how easy it is to turn the head and not see.
    The best thing is to give to the charities who try to help. The trouble is that the problem is not simply one of having somewhere to go, but multiple issues of addiction, alcohol, family breakdown, and mental illness. I thought that article captured that well.
    I always give a good donation to the Salvation Army, they are heroes and seem untainted by the shadow that hangs over our charitable sector now. I am not religious but if religions were all like that....

The article does reflect the complexity of the problems. Everything the family gave him sold for drink. Some people are unfortunately very hard to help.
    Yep, Sally Army are great at looking after people who have fallen through the cracks, also give generously to local food banks.

If anyone sees a paid chugger from Shelter, ask them how many people their charity will be providing shelter for this Christmas. For some reason they don’t know the answer.
    Big Issue unfortunately now have serious issues. Rather than genuinely homeless people selling to help them get back on their feet, it has been taken over by racketeering, and the Big Issue don't seem to want to do anything about it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

How?

I don't think we were ever occupied by Burgundy. The Simnel conspiracy of 1487 was probably the nearest we came to that, and Burgundy was ruled by an Englishwoman at the time.
    Don't forget Pimlico!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

EPG said:

Are there any Brexiteers out there who want to take up the challenge by talking about the culture of international unification and Germany's desire to take over Eastern Europe just prior to the First World War?

None? Oh well, that's a shame. It might have been a vaguely interesting discussion.

It is worth - on a more serious note - pointing out that while in the nineteenth century the pressure was for established nation states to expand outwards via imperial adventures (mostly - Austria was maybe an exception) the twentieth century was about the breaking down of larger units into smaller states. Thus in the 1880s the Imperial Federation League was active in promoting unification of the British Empire into one political unit, in 1931 most of the 'white' Empire was given independence - similarly in 1871 Prussia united most of the German states along with large chunks of Polish, French and Danish areas in the twentieth century they elected to go their own ways (admittedly most of them had no choice in the matter).

Instinct is telling me the EU in trying to form a superstate is going the wrong way. If anything, the smaller blocks are looking for more independence, not to cede it further away. I could be wildly wrong (I often am) but I think the project as set out is going to end in disaster. Meanwhile a continent wide economic area of nation states could be a winner.
    It could be called 'The Common Market.'

And did Imperial Germany desire to take over Eastern Europe ? Economically and militarily dominate it perhaps but did they have any real territorial ambitions ?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I got a new passport recently. The inside has been compleatly redesigned compared to my old one with different images on each page; I assume this is to make forging one a pain.

Grammar police

I doubt it has been "compleatly" redesigned.
  • Options

Grammar police

He may be a Munro climber? Bagging one's final peak is traditional called compleating, spelt thus.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Grammar police

'Tis just the old way to spell it, you know, from before the EU.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compleat_Angler
  • Options

The Grand Tour: season two review – another lap of spectacle and sexism

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/08/grand-tour-season-two-review-amazon-prime

Translated from Guardian speak....its a return to original mega popular Top Gear...

Sounds great. Those three are as sensible as Remainers get.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Sandpit said:

Yep, Sally Army are great at looking after people who have fallen through the cracks, also give generously to local food banks and a lot of churches get food parcels together at Christmas too.

The Sally Army do great work, but no real need to contrast with Shelter, which is a lobby for homeless people rather than a direct aid for homeless people. They do need both, since, like prisoners and refugees, homeless people don't vote or buy newspapers and therefore tend otherwise to get overlooked .
  • Options
    An interesting thread.

Has anybody asked why the UK ditched blue when it did not have to?

Croatian passports are blue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

How?

Thie Englishwoman I assume:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_York

And who, like her elder brother Edward, was over six foot tall.

As she was four years younger than Edward it complicates the Blaybourn the archer theory.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sad, sad sad.

Yep, Sally Army are great at looking after people who have fallen through the cracks, also give generously to local food banks.

Big Issue unfortunately now have serious issues. Rather than genuinely homeless people selling to help them get back on their feet, it has been taken over by racketeering, and the Big Issue don't seem to want to do anything about it.
    I had heard of a big problem in London with Romanian Roma and The Big Issue, but only second hand. Not good if there’s any truth to it, but sadly not uncommon among the charity sector these days.
  • Options

Seems to me like the trend was downwards way before Brexit, while the others were rising.
    The issue is relative performance. Before the Brexit vote we were top of the G7, now we are bottom, but at least we have the promise of blue passports.

I think Brexit will end in a whimper rather than a bang. I think a lost decade of Brexit induced austerity is on the cards.

Less than 2 years now before I call it a day. Once Fox jr is sorted, I shall be off on my adventures.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sad, sad sad.

I had heard of a big problem in London with Romanian Roma and The Big Issue, but only second hand. Not good if there’s any truth to it, but sadly not uncommon among the charity sector these days.
    It is absolutely true, and not isolated to London. One-third of Big Issue sellers are now Romanian.

Basically it works by the big boss turning up at the depot, buying up all available magazines, then "force" individuals in the gang to sell them on their behalf. They aren't homeless, but being forced to work in a gang master type scenario.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

How?

Thie Englishwoman I assume:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_York

And who, like her elder brother Edward, was over six foot tall.

As she was four years younger than Edward it complicates the Blaybourn the archer theory.
    Wow, if she was over six foot then that picture indicates she had a truly enormous head. Like an orange on a toothpick, to borrow from Mike Myers.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, over a decade ago now (I was at university at the time) but I also heard of a Romanian salesman who was just a drug dealer.

The reputation of the charity sector is not what it was.
  • Options
    Can anyone explain why we’re being told we’re going back to the iconic blue when the prototypes show a bright blue passport? For some reason it’s bugging me. I want the old colour back if we’re changing.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

An interesting thread.

Possibly because the burgundy is more stylish? The very very dark blue we used to use wasn't (and still isn't) an option; the blue that was (and is) available is a very Euro colour. In different circumstances I can imagine Farage and the Sun railing against having British passports in such a shade.
  • Options

Can anyone explain why we’re being told we’re going back to the iconic blue when the prototypes show a bright blue passport? For some reason it’s bugging me. I want the old colour back if we’re changing.

I doubt that will be the colour. It's a shot for the media, possibly because it photographs better as a direct contrast to Burgundy.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

The issue is relative performance. Before the Brexit vote we were top of the G7, now we are bottom, but at least we have the promise of blue passports.

I think Brexit will end in a whimper rather than a bang. I think a lost decade of Brexit induced austerity is on the cards.

Less than 2 years now before I call it a day. Once Fox jr is sorted, I shall be off on my adventures.
    No it isn't. With things like this, it is the trend...you can see the trend 2 years before Brexit, it is heading slightly downwards and simply continues along the same trend post Brexit. While other G7, the trend is upwards.

Not every single thing is Brexit and only Brexit.
  • Options

I thought it was just a mock up by the Sun?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The Sally Army do great work, but no real need to contrast with Shelter, which is a lobby for homeless people rather than a direct aid for homeless people. They do need both, since, like prisoners and refugees, homeless people don't vote or buy newspapers and therefore tend otherwise to get overlooked .
    Yes, but a lot of us prefer to give to a charity that actually provides shelter for the homeless, especially at Christmas.

The charity industry (and it has become that) has been taken over by professional organisations with massive overheads and marketing budgets, to the point of drowning out the voices of small local charities in many sectors. In my mind and those of many others, lobbying government shouldn’t really be charitable activity, if it’s the primary activity of an organisation.

(By the way, it’s much better to disagree with polite people than rude ones, as some on the last thread didn’t understand :) )
  • Options

How many of the other G7 countries have had the longest run of manufacturing expansion since the 1990s and manufacturing order books at their highest since the 1980s ?

Its easy to grow the economy, all you have to do is borrow more money and spend it and that's what the UK did for twenty years. The results included the biggest current account defict in the G7 and home ownership levels falling since 2003.

Now to rebalance the economy after all that excess consumption the wealth creating sectors will have to grow faster than the economy as a whole. That will take time and it will mean pain for those people who have become addicted to living beyond their means. But it needs to be done.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

I remember our "blue" passports as being almost black.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, but a lot of us prefer to give to a charity that actually provides shelter for the homeless, especially at Christmas.

The charity industry (and it has become that) has been taken over by professional organisations with massive overheads and marketing budgets, to the point of drowning out the voices of small local charities in many sectors. In my mind and those of many others, lobbying government shouldn’t really be charitable activity, if it’s the primary activity of an organisation.

(By the way, it’s much better to disagree with polite people than rude ones, as some on the last thread didn’t understand :) )
    The other thing I really take issue with, is the spin. You expect politicians to be less than honest and spin stats to their advantage. You hope the charity sector is honest and above board, then you start to hear the likes of Shelter's lobbying efforts, and with a big of digging you find they are being less than honest about some of their claims.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

We're 9 years into the current cycle. A cyclical slowdown or recession is due, anyway, the GDP figures are looking a lot more positive after today's release than they did last week. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1.7-1.9% growth this year once all the data is in. Tax receipts are still growing at well above inflation.

I know this is all pointless because you're unable to see beyond the word Brexit for any issue but hopefully some people will be informed.
  • Options

An interesting thread.

Possibly it was in return for a promised reform of the CAP.

A promised reform of the CAP usually featured whenever the UK moved towards EverCloserUnion.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Turkey is the most boring meat imaginable.

A delicious rib of beef will be consumed in the Cyclefree household on Xmas Day, preceded by tortellini in brodo (proper homemade clear broth, using veal bones). The meat will be accompanied by delicious vegetables - though not Brussel sprouts. And there will be a selection of fine wines.

We also have canapes with our champagne and scrumptious macaroons with coffee.

Oh ..... and I like burgundy as a colour and my burgundy passport.

Have I covered all aspects of today’s important debates?
  • Options

An interesting thread.

A promised reform of the CAP usually featured whenever the UK moved towards EverCloserUnion.
    The move to Burgundy was agreed by Maggie at the Fontanbleu summit, it seems.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

An interesting thread.

It was agreed by Thatcher.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/1984/jun/27/past.eu

President Mitterrand, who presided over the crowning achievement of France's six-month presidency of the Community, was more restrained. But he flourished a burgundy-coloured European passport at his closing press conference to symbolise the human dimension of the more closely integrated Community, which, he believes, he has started to build at Fontainebleau.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, you forgot to announce your smugness, or lack thereof, regarding betting on Hunt to replace May.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We're 9 years into the current cycle. A cyclical slowdown or recession is due, anyway, the GDP figures are looking a lot more positive after today's release than they did last week. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1.7-1.9% growth this year once all the data is in. Tax receipts are still growing at well above inflation.

I know this is all pointless because you're unable to see beyond the word Brexit for any issue but hopefully some people will be informed.
    Though growth seems to be spedding up elsewhere in the world. It is the UK that is slowing.

I see nothing positive about Brexit, just needless misery and grinding austerity. Like yourself, I have had enough of the country for a while.
  • Options

An interesting thread.

President Mitterrand, who presided over the crowning achievement of France's six-month presidency of the Community, was more restrained. But he flourished a burgundy-coloured European passport at his closing press conference to symbolise the human dimension of the more closely integrated Community, which, he believes, he has started to build at Fontainebleau.
    So Mittterand got burgundy passports and Thatcher got tens of billions.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The other thing I really take issue with, is the spin. You expect politicians to be less than honest and spin stats to their advantage. You hope the charity sector is honest and above board, then you start to hear the likes of Shelter's lobbying efforts, and with a big of digging you find they are being less than honest about some of their claims.
    Yes, charities have become much more political. Last time I was in the U.K. in December (a couple of years ago) I remember all the paid chuggers on the streets with their clipboards, trying to sign up direct debits with dodgy slogans were competing against the likes of the Sally Army, local food bank and a couple of churches, all staffed by volunteers trying to get a few quid or some food items that will go to those genuinely in need over the festive period. Those small charities didn’t appear to be winning against the large and professional ones.

As a student two decades ago, I had fond memories of RAG trips to shake a tin in some faraway town centre for shits and giggles on a Saturday. Not long after that the professionals turned up, and it’s all very different these days.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Though growth seems to be spedding up elsewhere in the world. It is the UK that is slowing.

I see nothing positive about Brexit, just needless misery and grinding austerity. Like yourself, I have had enough of the country for a while.
    Well there is now no evidence that growth slowed last year and this year once the data is in growth will be about the same. The US has Trumpian boosters attached to its economy and the EU is bouncing back after 10 years of doing nothing, supported by a record monetary stimulus, just as the Bank is looking raise rates.

Again, it's clearly not going to make a difference, I'm sure if the ONS announced in January that 2017 growth was 2% you'd find something to complain about.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841

No it isn't. With things like this, it is the trend...you can see the trend 2 years before Brexit, it is heading slightly downwards and simply continues along the same trend post Brexit. While other G7, the trend is upwards.

More pertinently, the shifts in headline growth numbers are very small, but the underlying numbers show a shift from consumption to production and exporting.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

An interesting thread.

So Mittterand got burgundy passports and Thatcher got tens of billions.
    Now the deal is reversed. May gets blue passports, and Barnier gets tens of billions.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

More pertinently, the shifts in headline growth numbers are very small, but the underlying numbers show a shift from consumption to production and exporting.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

A delicious rib of beef will be consumed in the Cyclefree household on Xmas Day, preceded by tortellini in brodo (proper homemade clear broth, using veal bones). The meat will be accompanied by delicious vegetables - though not Brussel sprouts. And there will be a selection of fine wines.

I think I disagree with virtually all of that, except the champagne and macaroons.

Oh, and I do like a delicious rib of beef. Just not on Christmas Day.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If you have had enough then leave. You really won't be missed.

You make fatuous statements as if they are a substitute for action. I suspect this is exactly what you did during the referendum campaign as well whilst those of us who actually cared about the issues were out trying to make sure our side - whether Leave or Remain - won.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Which is much better news than the headline figures suggest. The adjustment in the exchange rate in the last 18 months has been hugely positive for manufacturing and export industries.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Sean_F said:

How?

Typical Brexiter.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I think somebody might be looking for a new job after Christmas....I believe somebody once said something about too many tweets, I just can't remember who!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5205059/Ladbrokes-MOCKS-Parkinsons-sufferer-Dave-Clark.html
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sounds great. But, turkey can be very good, with the right bird and cooked in the right way.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    There will be no sodding Turkey at Chez Urquhart on Christmas day, I can tell you that for a fact! We might however be watching that classic Christmas movie, Die Hard.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Which is much better news than the headline figures suggest. The adjustment in the exchange rate in the last 18 months has been hugely positive for manufacturing and export industries.
    There has been a clear economic benefit for industrial towns that voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    A Kelly Bronze cooked quickly on a high heat is delicious!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Regarding Bitcoin and the other crypto currencies. (And I speak as someone who sold 99% of theirs at the weekend, and now is very scared about my credit exposure to Coinbase.)

The only one with any real staying power is Ethereum. Why? Because "mining" Ethereum is not some pointless crpyto task. On the contrary, you can use Ethereum to execute smart contracts, which can be arbitrary code. The "miners" therefore make up a super computer, and the people buying Ether are paying to have their programmes run.

I was put onto it by Edmund in Tokyo, who one of the biggest experts globally. If the crash continues, it might be very interesting.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Regarding Bitcoin and the other crypto currencies. (And I speak as someone who sold 99% of theirs at the weekend, and now is very scared about my credit exposure to Coinbase.)

The only one with any real staying power is Ethereum. Why? Because "mining" Ethereum is not some pointless crpyto task. On the contrary, you can use Ethereum to execute smart contracts, which can be arbitrary code. The "miners" therefore make up a super computer, and the people buying Ether are paying to have their programmes run.

I was put onto it by Edmund in Tokyo, who one of the biggest experts globally. If the crash continues, it might be very interesting.

The problem with Ethereum is still ultimately being able to handle all the traffic, as we saw with CryptoKitties.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Yes, that is a trend I've been seeing for the last three quarters, and in today's data we can see that export growth is definitely seeing an uptick. We've seen decent rates in the recent past, but it was usually a one off. What we're currently seeking is sustained export growth every quarter rather than one off blips. What we really need to see is a sustained fall in importation of finished manufactured goods to make anything stick.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I remember our "blue" passports as being almost black.

Yep, so do I. I had two of them. I didn’t get my first burgundy until the mid/late 90s and am on my third one of those. I also had a few UK one year passports from memory. I think a lot of folk will be disappointed if the new passport is bright blue and looks just like the current one in every other eay.

• Options
    edited December 2017

MaxPB said:

We're 9 years into the current cycle

You make fatuous statements as if they are a substitute for action. I suspect this is exactly what you did during the referendum campaign as well whilst those of us who actually cared about the issues were out trying to make sure our side - whether Leave or Remain - won.
    I did some canvassing for Remain, and a few rallies, but it was an uninspiring campaign. Too much project Fear and little positive vision. I said so here at the time.

I will keep a base here, and will collect my pension here, but with Fox jr off my hands am still young enough to do some of the work that I enjoy. I may go back to the Antipodes for a bit, and to my Mission in Africa. I am fond of Africa, and can live well there on my pension from the UK. Mrs Fox wouldn't want to be away permanently.

I am never bored of Britain, but I do get sick of it occassionally. As a patriot, I do feel quite disillusioned by the backward looking nationalism that is in vogue here.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

The posts of yourself and Edmund have been very informative on this, speaking as someone who was asked to do some basic research a couple of months ago. Ether does look quite different to BTC and a lot of the other copies of it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

MaxPB said:

+1

The guilt of their inaction weights heavy with several on here....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    OK.
    Youth is optimistic and not so anally retentive.
    Let's give them a chance.

Come to think of it, parenthetically, as an oldster I am told that I should be moving politically to the right. But I lodged somewhat to the left after an early youthful mistaken rightist start.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

MaxPB said:

We're 9 years into the current cycle

I did some canvassing for Remain, and a few rallies, but it was an uninspiring campaign. Too much project Fear and little positive vision. I said so here at the time.

I will keep a base here, and will collect my pension here, but with Fox jr off my hands am still young enough to do some of the work that I enjoy. I may go back to the Antipodes for a bit, and to my Mission in Africa. I am fond of Africa, and can live well there on my pension from the UK. Mrs Fox wouldn't want to be away permanently.

I am never bored of Britain, but I do get sick of it occassionally. As a patriot, I do feel quite disillusioned by the backward looking nationalism that is in vogue here.

I’d be wary of retiring in a country with much higher inflation than UK...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

There has been a clear economic benefit for industrial towns that voted for Brexit.
    The places we were told would suffer the most from Leave winning.

Another change to be welcomed has been the reduction in property price growth and the increase in share prices.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

An interesting thread.

Croatia only joined in 2013 - and probably hasn't felt the need to change. As is their right.

And maybe it prefers blue because the Serbian passport is burgundy!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, that is a trend I've been seeing for the last three quarters, and in today's data we can see that export growth is definitely seeing an uptick. We've seen decent rates in the recent past, but it was usually a one off. What we're currently seeking is sustained export growth every quarter rather than one off blips. What we really need to see is a sustained fall in importation of finished manufactured goods to make anything stick.

Surely sustained growth in exports is linked to sustained growth in our biggest overseas markets.

• Options

There will be no sodding Turkey at Chez Urquhart on Christmas day, I can tell you that for a fact! We might however be watching that classic Christmas movie, Die Hard.

No turkey at Chez Rotten either. I am a veggie!
  • Options

No turkey at Chez Rotten either. I am a veggie!
    There'll be sod all food at Chez Jessop on Christmas Day, as we're going to be up north at my parents... ;)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Surely sustained growth in exports is linked to sustained growth in our biggest overseas markets.

Yes, of course. The European economies are finally consuming goods and services again. We've only been waiting for 10 years. Though the Germans are still not pulling their weight and Spain's economy is sitting on a knife edge because of the Catalan situation.
This discussion has been closed.