Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The hard way. Gaining votes is not enough

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn got 40% and a hung Parliament last time by squeezing the LDs, Greens, SNP and UKIP rather than winning many Tory converts.

To win 45%+ and a working majority next time he needs to add Tory voters onto that total as well

Or the Tories lose votes to the other parties....
    Most Tories are hardly likely to vote Green or SNP or the ardent Remain LDs, their vote is pretty solid now especially with the UKIP collapse
    Go knock on some doors.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn got 40% and a hung Parliament last time by squeezing the LDs, Greens, SNP and UKIP rather than winning many Tory converts.

To win 45%+ and a working majority next time he needs to add Tory voters onto that total as well

Most Tories are hardly likely to vote Green or SNP or the ardent Remain LDs, their vote is pretty solid now especially with the UKIP collapse
    I don't think voters are nearly as logical as you my friend. I've voted Green, Labour, Lib Dem and Tory in my time, and I can't even remember why in some cases. I did very nearly vote UKIP even though I disagreed with their signature policy because they'd been good sports and were the only ones to campaign in my town.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    The next election all depends on the Brexit outcomes, both the actual and the narrative.

If the Tories can say "we've got us into a good Brexit position, let's carry on" and it's backed up with some solid achievement's, they should win pretty easily.

May could win if she gets the UK to a good place. Even the sainted Maggie only turned her fortune's around on the back of the Falklands victory. May could still turn into the UK version of Merkle's mother of the nation if the cards fall her way.

On Corbyn, I do find it hard to believe his man of piece image surviving another 5 years. If I was in Tory high command, I'd be putting in place a long term image destruction operation in place against the old chap. We've seen he's pretty fragile under any type of real pressure.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Brexiteers are still searching for the killer argument against a second referendum.
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/963430125063888896

Some young people are narcissistic and arrogant enough to think their votes should count for more. I wonder if they’ll think the same when they’re 65+?
    The obvious way for the young to force a second referendum is to support a party actually proposing one.

Which of course they (mainly) refuse to do.

Of course the issue does not arise for me because as far as I am concerned the matter is closed, the war lost.
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/963431353969774592
    I would be happy for the LibDems to put reversing Brexit directly in their manifesto and enforce it without referendum.
  • Options
    The former MP for Rochdale Simon Danczuk will not face criminal charges after a police investigation into his expenses.
    A Crown Prosecution Service spokesperson said on Tuesday: “We received a file of evidence from the Metropolitan police in relation to an allegation contrary to section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act of 2009. We considered the evidential test for prosecution was not met and therefore no charges were authorised.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/13/former-mp-simon-danczuk-not-face-charges-expenses-labour-rochdale
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Brexiteers are still searching for the killer argument against a second referendum.

Some young people are narcissistic and arrogant enough to think their votes should count for more. I wonder if they’ll think the same when they’re 65+?
    The obvious way for the young to force a second referendum is to support a party actually proposing one.

Of course the issue does not arise for me because as far as I am concerned the matter is closed, the war lost.
    I would be happy for the LibDems to put reversing Brexit directly in their manifesto and enforce it without referendum.
    There's no constitutional need for one. And practically speaking if we want to rejoin we need to keep our negotiating position keen by not announcing we are joining before we know the terms. Giving ourselves no room to bargain is a big part of the problem we have now. Just because the Conservatives don't have the first clue how to manage running the country doesn't mean the other parties have to drop to their level.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited February 2018

RoyalBlue said:

There's no constitutional need for one. And practically speaking if we want to rejoin we need to keep our negotiating position keen by not announcing we are joining before we know the terms. Giving ourselves no room to bargain is a big part of the problem we have now. Just because the Conservatives don't have the first clue how to manage running the country doesn't mean the other parties have to drop to their level.
    The EU seems to do these sort of things out in the open. I think it’s unlikely they’d negotiate a deal in secret. It would also be billed as the mother of all betrayals, a (real) secret plot to get the UK back in the EU.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2018
    IanB2 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I went into GE2017 fully intending to vote Lib Dem. I only swung to Labour at the last minute when the polls suggested they might not be doing quite as badly as I thought they were going to. Had Labour been competitive throughout the campaign I'd have switched much sooner. My logic was simple. The government is doing Brexit. Vote for the ones most likely to get rid of them.

Doughnut logic.

If you want to reverse Brexit, you need the Labour centre/right to gain control of the party.

That was rendered impossible by the GE result.
    Nonsense. If public opinion shifts, Labour will follow. The large majority of the MPs are just waiting for such an opportunity
    By the time public opinion has shifted (if it does), it will be too late. We'll have left.

I voted Leave, so am perfectly happy for Remainers to wait for public opinion to shift, and then Labour to shift.

Carry on Waiting, Estragon and Vladimir, Lucky and Pozzo.

Remain lost the referendum, and now they're losing the aftermath ... waiting.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

The EU seems to do these sort of things out in the open. I think it’s unlikely they’d negotiate a deal in secret.
    But nonetheless we can have a more meaningful discussion if keep our options open. Announcing we are leaving come what may has guaranteed we will get a sub optimum offering. But of course Mr Cameron thought he was going to win...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

The former MP for Rochdale Simon Danczuk will not face criminal charges after a police investigation into his expenses.
    A Crown Prosecution Service spokesperson said on Tuesday: “We received a file of evidence from the Metropolitan police in relation to an allegation contrary to section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act of 2009. We considered the evidential test for prosecution was not met and therefore no charges were authorised.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/13/former-mp-simon-danczuk-not-face-charges-expenses-labour-rochdale

He still has a strong personal vote in Rochdale though!!
    Labour 29,305
    Simon Danczuk 883
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

The EU seems to do these sort of things out in the open. I think it’s unlikely they’d negotiate a deal in secret.
    But nonetheless we can have a more meaningful discussion if keep our options open. Announcing we are leaving come what may has guaranteed we will get a sub optimum offering. But of course Mr Cameron thought he was going to win...
    It was hard to keep that one a secret.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018
    The Conservatives polled 43.4% in Britain (or 43.5% if you include John Bercow's votes). The 42.4% figure is for the UK including Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

The argument isn't that their votes should count for more; it's that their votes will be counted again, and again, and again, and again, so if this will ultimately lead to Brexit being reversed, we might as well save ourselves the hassle and cancel it now. (With the bonus for Eurosceptics that we'd keep our opt-outs.)
    Implying that their opinion is fixed. It isn't.
    Do tell me what Leavers are doing to persuade Remain voters to rethink. Because from here it looks like Leavers are simply cementing Remain voters in their original decision.
    The issue was that a small, but influential and vocal group of Remainers started from almost the day after the vote trying to frustrate the vote. Even cases like Gina Miller - and this is setting aside the legal question she was testing - was presented (fairly or not) as an attempt to stop Brexit

Against that backdrop it’s not surprising that Leave voters dug in and became defensive: they had won, unexpectedly and against the odds, and were facing a hideous caterwauling from people with the power to take their prize away from them.

Perhaps they should have been better people and tried to reach out but o can understand why they didn’t
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Metatron said:

Theresa May ran a terrible campaign and if she had run a half-decent campaign she would have got more votes.Labour won seats like Canterbury and Kensington that they never dreamed of winning.
    The biggest factor of the 2017 election was the abysmal performance of the Lib Dems.
    Did any PB readers predict it?
    Not me and I still do not understand why millions of remainers in England did not vote Lib Dem.Or even now why they are still struggling to make any appeal.
    If the tories do not hold a 2nd referendum on Brexit I expect things to change.There will be lots of losers after Brexit and they will blame the Tories if they do not hold a 2nd referendum

If the LD vote had been slightly higher and the Lab vote slightly lower, she would have won a good majority and everyone would have said 43.4% was an excellent vote share, pretty much the same as Blair got in 1997.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Metatron said:

Theresa May ran a terrible campaign and if she had run a half-decent campaign she would have got more votes.Labour won seats like Canterbury and Kensington that they never dreamed of winning.
    The biggest factor of the 2017 election was the abysmal performance of the Lib Dems.
    Not me and I still do not understand why millions of remainers in England did not vote Lib Dem.Or even now why they are still struggling to make any appeal.
    If the tories do not hold a 2nd referendum on Brexit I expect things to change.There will be lots of losers after Brexit and they will blame the Tories if they do not hold a 2nd referendum

If the LD vote had been slightly higher and the Lab vote slightly lower, she would have won a good majority and everyone would have said 43.4% was an excellent vote share, pretty much the same as Blair got in 1997.
    If
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

The argument isn't that their votes should count for more; it's that their votes will be counted again, and again, and again, and again, so if this will ultimately lead to Brexit being reversed, we might as well save ourselves the hassle and cancel it now. (With the bonus for Eurosceptics that we'd keep our opt-outs.)
    Do tell me what Leavers are doing to persuade Remain voters to rethink. Because from here it looks like Leavers are simply cementing Remain voters in their original decision.
    I suspect a decent chunk of Remainers were actually 'statusquoers' - in a future referendum many of them would also vote 'Remain out' - the 15% who want to remain despite the vote are going to have a painful lifetime waiting I'd they think rejoin is ever likely.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

2045 TV advert: LibDems, who are they?

• Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

I suspect a decent chunk of Remainers were actually 'statusquoers' - in a future referendum many of them would also vote 'Remain out' - the 15% who want to remain despite the vote are going to have a painful lifetime waiting I'd they think rejoin is ever likely.
    Talk to some young people.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited February 2018
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Go knock on some doors.
    I will be doing plenty of that between now and May and the June 2017 Tory vote is holding up as the polls confirm
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited February 2018

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think voters are nearly as logical as you my friend. I've voted Green, Labour, Lib Dem and Tory in my time, and I can't even remember why in some cases. I did very nearly vote UKIP even though I disagreed with their signature policy because they'd been good sports and were the only ones to campaign in my town.
    At local elections you still get a few Tories who vote LD locally but Tory nationally, for almost all current Tory voters the only Labour leader they have ever voted for, if they have ever voted Labour, was Blair, beyond that most of the former Kippers have returned to the Tory fold
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Metatron said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I went into GE2017 fully intending to vote Lib Dem. I only swung to Labour at the last minute when the polls suggested they might not be doing quite as badly as I thought they were going to. Had Labour been competitive throughout the campaign I'd have switched much sooner. My logic was simple. The government is doing Brexit. Vote for the ones most likely to get rid of them.
    Even though labour are Brexit ing too?
    If you don't like what the government is doing, you punish the government. End of.
    Sure, but thinking further ahead there's little point in punishing it in such a way that the thing you are punishing them about still happens. There are other ways of punishing them, particularly when alternatives proposing to prevent that thing existed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    AndyJS said:

Metatron said:

If the Tory vote lead over LAB had been the same as the polls said a month earlier or the same as Martin Kaboom Boon said it was on eve of poll.

TM would have been a hero amongst Tories instead of a dead woman walking and Jezza would have been long gone instead of a Glastonbury hero.

Fortunately the Electors decided against if
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845

RoyalBlue said:

There is no special merit in the opinions of voters aged 18-24.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

But the fact that the young are so anti-Brexit is nonetheless an important data point. So as a remainer it has no particular salience because we still lost and have no right to overturn the democratic decision. However if you are a leaver you could take the view that although we could go through with it, maybe we really shouldn't. Do you really want to wrench a generation away from something that they value? And in any case will reverse as soon as the opportunity arises? If enough leavers started coming forward saying that kind of thing we might just be able to get ourselves out of it. Search your consciouses guys!
  • Options
    Meanwhile Theresa May's creativity in coming up with ammunition for the Labour Party just in time for the next round of locals remains top notch.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/13/police-numbers-drop-by-1200-in-six-months-as-wage-bill-frozen
  • Options

Meanwhile Theresa May's creativity in coming up with ammunition for the Labour Party just in time for the next round of locals remains top notch.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/13/police-numbers-drop-by-1200-in-six-months-as-wage-bill-frozen

90,000 people are eligible to vote in 14 local by-elections in a couple of days' time, a sort of mini "Super Thursday".
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

But the fact that the young are so anti-Brexit is nonetheless an important data point. So as a remainer it has no particular salience because we still lost and have no right to overturn the democratic decision. However if you are a leaver you could take the view that although we could go through with it, maybe we really shouldn't. Do you really want to wrench a generation away from something that they value? And in any case will reverse as soon as the opportunity arises? If enough leavers started coming forward saying that kind of thing we might just be able to get ourselves out of it. Search your consciouses guys!
    I mean no disrespect, but I don't see why the vote of a random 20 year old who really values EU citizenship counts for more than the vote of a random 50 year old who sees it as an imposition. Their votes are of equal value.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

The issue was that a small, but influential and vocal group of Remainers started from almost the day after the vote trying to frustrate the vote. Even cases like Gina Miller - and this is setting aside the legal question she was testing - was presented (fairly or not) as an attempt to stop Brexit

Against that backdrop it’s not surprising that Leave voters dug in and became defensive: they had won, unexpectedly and against the odds, and were facing a hideous caterwauling from people with the power to take their prize away from them.

Perhaps they should have been better people and tried to reach out but o can understand why they didn’t
    Maybe some Leave voters became defensive because they objected to being derided as bigots, racists and xenophobes, not to mention thick.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018
    Sky and BT paid less for the footy rights,

The £4.46bn figure for 160 games is less Sky and BT paid in the current cycle, where they forked out £5.14bn for 168 live games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43052024
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Young people become older and often change their views. What happened to young pro-marketeers (as they were called) in 1975? There is no evidernce that the population will necessarily become more pro-EU simply as the result of the passage of time
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

There's more than one generation that values things.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2018

Charles said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

Maybe some Leave voters became defensive because they objected to being derided as bigots, racists and xenophobes, not to mention thick.
    You missed off poor, old, uneducated and provincial.

Despite all the epithets from the terminally petulant, we do have to recognise that the vote was very close. May had better take account of that and fend off her lunatic fringe. However, as I have potted plants with better political judgement, she probably won't.

• Options
    The head of Germany's Social Democrats (SPD), Martin Schulz, has resigned to ease preparations for a coalition government with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43052436
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Young people become older and often change their views. What happened to young pro-marketeers (as they were called) in 1975? There is no evidernce that the population will necessarily become more pro-EU simply as the result of the passage of time
    No, they will become more pro-EU as a result of the passage of Brexit.

Brexiteers face an electoral double whammy: a demographic time bomb, and a political backlash.
  • Options
    Israeli police say that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu should be charged over alleged bribery cases.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43051249
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Brexiteers face an electoral double whammy: a demographic time bomb, and a political backlash.
    You may or may not be right. But it is a thin argument to say that Brexit should be abandoned because young people don't like it.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

But Corbyn has been a Brexiteer for decades. Both Cameron and May wanted to stay in the EU. And the UK will leave the EU because the voters in a democratic referendum chose it, it was not imposed by any political party. And what if Brexit is a success?
  • Options

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

How do you know how people will vote in the future?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

I return to my earlier question. What are Leavers doing to persuade Remain supporters to rethink?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

I return to my earlier question. What are Leavers doing to persuade Remain supporters to rethink?
    You could respond to earlier replies...
  • Options
    The chairman of the charity Oxfam International, Juan Alberto Fuentes, has been arrested in Guatemala.

He was detained as part of an investigation into a corruption scandal dating back to his time as Guatemala's finance minister.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43046966
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Very few people deeply value and love the EU. The few I've met have all been very odd and often more than a little bit creepy. For most of my generation voting Remain was probably based on a group mentality and on not wanting to vote the same way as Farage. I doubt they'll care about it in a few years' time.
  • Options
    Nasty racist Brits (apart from most of the rest of Europe)......

http://brilliantmaps.com/europe-relationships/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Except when they agree with Mr Glenn.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    stevef said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

But Corbyn has been a Brexiteer for decades. Both Cameron and May wanted to stay in the EU. And the UK will leave the EU because the voters in a democratic referendum chose it, it was not imposed by any political party. And what if Brexit is a success?
    Corbyn doesn't really care one way or the other. He cares much more about Trident - yet was even willing to compromise on that to hold his party together.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

Talk to some young people.
    I do. Almost all of my pals voted Remain. None of them go on marches. Few ever even comment about it.

The statusquoers were those who bought project fear. The number of committed 'williamglenns' or 'Foxys' in our isles is relatively low.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited February 2018
    BBC reporting on Irish concerns at their economy on Brexit projecting a 7% hit on a no deal. Fergus O'Dowd of Fine Gael said that by 2034 the economy would lose 18 billion and that they want trade to continue much as it does now and why should Ireland suffer and lets work together.

The BBC commented that all the speculation seems that there will be a tech solution to the problem

The idea all the 27 are going to let Barnier sacrifice their economies on a political stance is for the birds
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Very few people deeply value and love the EU. The few I've met have all been very odd and often more than a little bit creepy. For most of my generation voting Remain was probably based on a group mentality and on not wanting to vote the same way as Farage. I doubt they'll care about it in a few years' time.
    Look at the state of this. Now you've made William cry. Go to your room and think about what you've done.
  • Options

Nasty racist Brits (apart from most of the rest of Europe)......

http://brilliantmaps.com/europe-relationships/

Data from before EUref. We'd be a bloody shade of red now. Because, you know.
  • Options
    Spurs 2 down to Juventus in 9 minutes
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Doing my best, Alastair. I just married a Remainer. I can only marry people one at a time.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Look at the state of this. Now you've made William cry. Go to your room and think about what you've done.
    I'd love to go to my room. Unfortunately I'm stuck standing on an effed up train out of Liverpool Street...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

You gave an explanation why they didn’t. That won’t do Leavers much good if in ten years no one has changed their minds. By then demography would ensure that they were in a definite minority.

If Leavers want their insurrection to survive, they need to find a way to reach out to their former opponents. For nearly two years they’ve been calling them traitors and saboteurs. Not the best of starts.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    IanB2 said:

stevef said:

Corbyn doesn't really care one way or the other. He cares much more about Trident - yet was even willing to compromise on that to hold his party together.
    +1. Moreover, while Corbyn has criticised the EU for decades, it hasn't been a left-wing cause since the 1980s, because the Thatcher years brought about a realisation,especially among trade unions, that the EU could mitigate right-wing policies in Britain.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Foxy said:

PClipp said:

stevef said:

The interesting thing about the Labour manifesto is that it was not a Corbynista one. Although the sums did not add up, it was quite moderate and mainstream. Corbyn did not have the courage or the honesty to put forward the hard left policies that he has been espousing for decades. A 1983 style manifesto was more apt for him. Apart from the sums, it was a good manifesto. I could easily vote for it. Harold Wilson, Jim Callaghan Neil Kinnock and John Smith could all have put forward such a manifesto -and Corbyn would have accused them of betrayal of socialism for it.

The problem for Labour was the people in charge of the Party at the election. Voters did not want Corbyn as PM, Abbott as home secretary, and McDonnell as chancellor. They do not want a Labour Party controlled by 80s Militant wit a new name. They do not like the nasty people behind the scenes or on the internet threatening, and the fascist tactics.

So yes, the manifesto was good (but you couldnt fund it without raising taxes for most people) but behind it people recognised something really really nasty. Until Labour addresses that it is doomed to defeat.

I didn`t bother to take a fine toothcomb to the Labour manifesto, but I had the distinct impression at the time that they had gone through all the Lib Dem policies of the last thirty years and thrown them all together without further thought or crafting. They even added the standard Lib Dem claim that the policies had been costed (true in the case of the Lib Dems). Most untrue in the case of Labour.

So it is not surprising that it was non-Socialist and appealing. On top of which it never came under scrutiny.

But if we had ended up with a Corbyn government, I agree with Steve F. Its policies would not have looked in the slightest like the manifesto.
    The Labour manifesto was rather a rush job, cut and paste, but mostly by reason of having a snap election. I wouldn't weigh it too seriously.
    Labour will be more moderate in government than in their manifesto.

The realities of govt, their lack of experience at getting legislation through, the fact they have a strong centrist group who will back the manifesto but nothing more radical, opposition in the lords, the possibility of deteriorating public finances making an ambitious domestic agenda infeasible.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Sean_F said:

I mean no disrespect, but I don't see why the vote of a random 20 year old who really values EU citizenship counts for more than the vote of a random 50 year old who sees it as an imposition. Their votes are of equal value.

There is the slightly morbid point that if the next election is not until 2022, there will have been a shift in the electorate from natural causes. When the enthusiastic Corbynites in the 25-49 year old group move towards the next age range, it's an interesting question whether they will become more prone to voting Conservative and/or supporting Brexit.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Seems to me it should be left to the passage of time. If the people now young find that they retain their communal strong desire to be part of the EU, then they will bring up their own children with the mythology of what we lost/threw away.

In 40 years' time, the EU will have come to seem so very desirable that the UK can join it wholeheartedly, as a full member of the emerging USE. Or not - their choice, in their own time.

That, to me, will be a far better outcome than either trying to persuade people to abandon strongly held views on the matter or forcing a union on a population which is so divided.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

PClipp said:

stevef said:

The interesting thing about the Labour manifesto is that it was not a Corbynista one. Although the sums did not add up, it was quite moderate and mainstream. Corbyn did not have the courage or the honesty to put forward the hard left policies that he has been espousing for decades. A 1983 style manifesto was more apt for him. Apart from the sums, it was a good manifesto. I could easily vote for it. Harold Wilson, Jim Callaghan Neil Kinnock and John Smith could all have put forward such a manifesto -and Corbyn would have accused them of betrayal of socialism for it.

The problem for Labour was the people in charge of the Party at the election. Voters did not want Corbyn as PM, Abbott as home secretary, and McDonnell as chancellor. They do not want a Labour Party controlled by 80s Militant wit a new name. They do not like the nasty people behind the scenes or on the internet threatening, and the fascist tactics.

So yes, the manifesto was good (but you couldnt fund it without raising taxes for most people) but behind it people recognised something really really nasty. Until Labour addresses that it is doomed to defeat.

I didn`t bother to take a fine toothcomb to the Labour manifesto, but I had the distinct impression at the time that they had gone through all the Lib Dem policies of the last thirty years and thrown them all together without further thought or crafting. They even added the standard Lib Dem claim that the policies had been costed (true in the case of the Lib Dems). Most untrue in the case of Labour.

So it is not surprising that it was non-Socialist and appealing. On top of which it never came under scrutiny.

But if we had ended up with a Corbyn government, I agree with Steve F. Its policies would not have looked in the slightest like the manifesto.
    The Labour manifesto was rather a rush job, cut and paste, but mostly by reason of having a snap election. I wouldn't weigh it too seriously.

The realities of govt, their lack of experience at getting legislation through, the fact they have a strong centrist group who will back the manifesto but nothing more radical, opposition in the lords, the possibility of deteriorating public finances making an ambitious domestic agenda infeasible.
    Try selling that at a GE on the grounds 'do not worry about our manifesto as we will not do it'
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

reversed, we might as well save ourselves the hassle and cancel it now. (With the bonus for Eurosceptics that we'd keep our opt-outs.)

You gave an explanation why they didn’t. That won’t do Leavers much good if in ten years no one has changed their minds. By then demography would ensure that they were in a definite minority.

If Leavers want their insurrection to survive, they need to find a way to reach out to their former opponents. For nearly two years they’ve been calling them traitors and saboteurs. Not the best of starts.
    There was fault on both sides

But until it is done then little healing can happen because there are those who insist on picking at the scabs
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

PClipp said:

stevef said:

The issue wouldn't be Labour's pisspoor manifesto, it would be having a national security risk as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Seems to me it should be left to the passage of time. If the people now young find that they retain their communal strong desire to be part of the EU, then they will bring up their own children with the mythology of what we lost/threw away.

In 40 years' time, the EU will have come to seem so very desirable that the UK can join it wholeheartedly, as a full member of the emerging USE. Or not - their choice, in their own time.

That, to me, will be a far better outcome than either trying to persuade people to abandon strongly held views on the matter or forcing a union on a population which is so divided.

Good evening, everybody.
    Good evening Anne.

It might not take forty years. If the UK rejoins the EU, it will do sans opt outs, just as the western Balkan states will. That would be healthier - I don't think there's much future for countries outside the Eurozone.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Charles said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

To be fair Charles, had the referendum gone the other way there would still have been a "small, but influential and vocal group... trying to frustrate the vote", just on the other side.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

BBC reporting on Irish concerns at their economy on Brexit projecting a 7% hit on a no deal. Fergus O'Dowd of Fine Gael said that by 2034 the economy would lose 18 billion and that they want trade to continue much as it does now and why should Ireland suffer and lets work together.

The BBC commented that all the speculation seems that there will be a tech solution to the problem

The idea all the 27 are going to let Barnier sacrifice their economies on a political stance is for the birds

An Irish perspective on how the EU liberated them from being a vassal state of the UKU

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-irexit-would-be-the-end-of-irish-nationalism-1.3389695?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

reversed, we might as well save ourselves the hassle and cancel it now. (With the bonus for Eurosceptics that we'd keep our opt-outs.)

But until it is done then little healing can happen because there are those who insist on picking at the scabs
    You’re missing the point. In two different ways this is Leave’s problem. First, if Brexit is to be anything other than dismal, Leave need some form of consensus and not a divided country. Secondly, their voters will die off quite quickly and unless replaced they will soon be in a minority. Where are the replacements going to come from? Leave hasn’t exactly been conducting a charm offensive.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

An Irish perspective on how the EU liberated them from being a vassal state of the UKU

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-irexit-would-be-the-end-of-irish-nationalism-1.3389695?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true
    That was not the point - the Irish are going to take a heavy hit themselves and for that reason a deal will happen
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

To be fair Charles, had the referendum gone the other way there would still have been a "small, but influential and vocal group... trying to frustrate the vote", just on the other side.
    Not quite - the leavers would have continued to campaign for change but not to overturn the decision.

It’s the difference between supporting a campaign to Rejoin (which is legitimate) and trying to prevent Brexit occurring (which is not)
  • Options
    Essexit said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

PClipp said:

stevef said:

The issue wouldn't be Labour's pisspoor manifesto, it would be having a national security risk as Prime Minister.
    Corbyn would be much less likely to take us into a foreign war.
    And we’d get Liam Fox out of Cabinet too...
  • Options
    John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Good evening, everybody.
    Good evening Anne.

It might not take forty years. If the UK rejoins the EU, it will do sans opt outs, just as the western Balkan states will. That would be healthier - I don't think there's much future for countries outside the Eurozone.
    Britain needs to join the Euro.
    https://youtu.be/7zVfeAkJmU4
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Not quite - the leavers would have continued to campaign for change but not to overturn the decision.

It’s the difference between supporting a campaign to Rejoin (which is legitimate) and trying to prevent Brexit occurring (which is not)
    There is nothing illegitimate about campaigning to prevent Brexit occurring. Of all the Leave tropes, this is the oddest.

It may well be a forlorn hope, but campaigners are entitled to try to change the public's mind before Britain leaves the EU.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

But the fact that the young are so anti-Brexit is nonetheless an important data point. lue? And in any case will reverse as soon as the opportunity arises? If enough leavers started coming forward saying that kind of thing we might just be able to get ourselves out of it. Search your consciouses guys!

You’re missing the point. In two different ways this is Leave’s problem. First, if Brexit is to be anything other than dismal, Leave need some form of consensus and not a divided country. Secondly, their voters will die off quite quickly and unless replaced they will soon be in a minority. Where are the replacements going to come from? Leave hasn’t exactly been conducting a charm offensive.
    You’ve made quite clear you don’t want to be charmed. The polls suggest a clear majority wants Brexit done (they may not have voted for it but they accept that the majority did)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Who said this!?

“the Taoiseach of Northern Ireland Edna Kelly”.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fintan O’Toole has been incredibly perceptive on the implications of Brexit for the politics of the British Isles in their entirety.

This is a great lecture (the final conclusion is fairly left wing but isn’t central to his argument).
    https://vimeo.com/247411379
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You’ve made quite clear you don’t want to be charmed. The polls suggest a clear majority wants Brexit done (they may not have voted for it but they accept that the majority did)
    I would be one of the many voters who didn't vote for Brexit and who regards it as democratically necessary that it be seen through to its bitter conclusion. Bear that in mind before assuming that the public is phlegmatic about the prospect.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

PClipp said:

stevef said:

The interesting thing about the Labour manifesto is that it was not a Corbynista one. Although the sums did not add up, it was quite moderate and mainstream. Corbyn did not have the courage or the honesty to put forward the hard left policies that he has been espousing for decades. A 1983 style e in charge of the Party at the election. Voters did not want Corbyn as PM, Abbott as home secretary, and McDonnell as chancellor. They do not want a Labour Party controlled by 80s Militant wit a new name. They do not like the nasty people behind the scenes or on the internet threatening, and the fascist tactics.

Try selling that at a GE on the grounds 'do not worry about our manifesto as we will not do it'
    The manifesto was great in my view. I hope it does happen for the most part.
    This isn’t a political selling point - it’s a projection of what I think the reality will be... govts tens to struggle to deliver on their reform agendas in full. They have to compromise etc.

and I suppose maybe I’m making an attempt to reassure the pb.com Tory community not to panic...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

All that one can do is re-state one's arguments. Events will determine how Brexit is seen by future generations of voters. If it's a horror show, no doubt they'll wish to rejoin. If it turns out to be okay, then a natural bias towards the status quo will ensure that staying out of the EU is the received wisdom.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: Nerves in No10 tonight about Boris's big speech tomorrow - two drafts (and counting) have already been submitted for vetting and rewriting. More on it later.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

All that one can do is re-state one's arguments. Events will determine how Brexit is seen by future generations of voters. If it's a horror show, no doubt they'll wish to rejoin. If it turns out to be okay, then a natural bias towards the status quo will ensure that staying out of the EU is the received wisdom.
    That's far too complacent. Leave's conduct before and since the referendum has ensured that many voters will regard it as a horror show, whatever the objective facts. The disgust for Leave is visceral for many.

Leave need to start showing that they have some interest in the large numbers of people who didn't vote for Leave and who so far think it's a mistake.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The Irish see the EU as having liberated them from Catholicism.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

PClipp said:

stevef said:

The interesting thing about the Labour manifesto is that it was not a Corbynista one. Although the sums did not add up, it was quite moderate and mainstream. Corbyn did not have the courage or the honesty to put forward the hard left policies that he has been espousing for decades. A 1983 style e in charge of the Party at the election. Voters did not want Corbyn as PM, Abbott as home secretary, and McDonnell as chancellor. They do not want a Labour Party controlled by 80s Militant wit a new name. They do not like the nasty people behind the scenes or on the internet threatening, and the fascist tactics.

The manifesto was great in my view. I hope it does happen for the most part.
    This isn’t a political selling point - it’s a projection of what I think the reality will be... govts tens to struggle to deliver on their reform agendas in full. They have to compromise etc.

and I suppose maybe I’m making an attempt to reassure the pb.com Tory community not to panic...
    The only way the Country will give labour a real chance of government is to get rid of Corbyn and McDonnell
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I would be one of the many voters who didn't vote for Brexit and who regards it as democratically necessary that it be seen through to its bitter conclusion. Bear that in mind before assuming that the public is phlegmatic about the prospect.
    As long as there is no evidence of anyone changing their mind the decision can't be changed. But I can't see anything illegitimate about attempting to persuade people to change their mind - though I obviously haven't worked out how to actually do it myself yet.
  • Options
    On the subject of Brexit, I already see our fisheries and agriculture policies being much better and more sustainable outside the EU.

I put that almost entirely down to Gove.

It's telling that when the Government has competent ministers with vision, who can paint a picture of what'll be different and how it'll be be better, Brexit looks far more positive.

Theresa May is not that person - far too technocratic - but it looks very much to me like Government policy is converging on high alignment in manufactured goods with intercontinental supply chains, and divergence in services and future digital tech.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Nerves in No10 tonight about Boris's big speech tomorrow - two drafts (and counting) have already been submitted for vetting and rewriting. More on it later.

Boris speaking about Brexit... what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Spurs are now giving Juventus a real going over. Now 2 - 1
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

But h your consciouses guys!

Yes I agree.
    I suspect a moderately negative impact on the UK would still not lead us to rejoin.

But also I think perceptions will likely matter. An unrelated recession (especially if focused in UK) would still be bad news for Brexit sticking. A global upturn in growth will really help keep us out.
  • Options

On the subject of Brexit, I already see our fisheries and agriculture policies being much better and more sustainable outside the EU.

It's telling that when the Government has competent ministers with vision, who can paint a picture of what'll be different and how it'll be be better, Brexit looks far more positive.

Theresa May is not that person - far too technocratic - but it looks very much to me like Government policy is converging on high alignment in manufactured goods with intercontinental supply chains, and divergence in services and future digital tech.

Genuine question Casino - what makes you say that about our post-EU fisheries and agriculture policies? Do you have a link to some information?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alastair, with the greatest of respect, you are neither representative of, nor understand, the British people
  • Options

Er... 2-1 to Juve?
  • Options

Er... 2-1 to Juve?
    Yes - my earlier quote had juventus 2 spurs 0
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

£350m a week for the NHS...

KIDDING !!!
  • Options

Which if true is a bloody nuisance if you are a small business that does manufacturing and selling services related to that manufacturing. Like I do.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Who said this!?

“the Taoiseach of Northern Ireland Edna Kelly”.
    Well it wouldn't have been the DUP!

I think Brexit has woken up a lot of previously fairly indifferent people to how much they want to Remain part of the European mainstream, as well as a large number who very much do not.

As cultural values persist longer than economics, I think there will be a grudge against the Brexiteers on the Tory side for at least as long as against Tories in mining areas or Scotland. Several decades, and an active Rejoin campaign whatever the economic results. The grass is always greener.

Demographics may be key, as youngsters age and fertile EU citizens naturalise.
  • Options

Er... 2-1 to Juve?
    Ah yes, sorry I missed that one (bit like Higuain with his penalty!)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

That's far too complacent. Leave's conduct before and since the referendum has ensured that many voters will regard it as a horror show, whatever the objective facts. The disgust for Leave is visceral for many.

Leave need to start showing that they have some interest in the large numbers of people who didn't vote for Leave and who so far think it's a mistake.
    I think that Theresa May's government will win over Remain voters like Carlotta Vance, HYUFD, John O, Ydoethur. I don't think that there is anything they could do to win over you, or voters who share your beliefs.
  • Options

Genuine question Casino - what makes you say that about our post-EU fisheries and agriculture policies? Do you have a link to some information?
    Scottish Fishermen have been anti EU throughout. I remember the anger of my father in law, a highly successful Scottish skipper, before we joined the EU
  • Options

Er... 2-1 to Juve?
    Ah yes, sorry I missed that one (bit like Higuain with his penalty!)
    +1
  • Options

Scottish Fishermen have been anti EU throughout. I remember the anger of my father in law, a highly successful Scottish skipper, before we joined the EU
    South coast fisherman have always been opposed to it as well. And I can see their point. Never worked out why so many farmers are anti-EU though. I am sure someone on here can enlighten me.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

I think that Theresa May's government will win over Remain voters like Carlotta Vance, HYUFD, John O, Ydoethur. I don't think that there is anything they could do to win over you, or voters who share your beliefs.
    Theresa May’s government currently has the support of those Conservatives who prize Conservative government over all else. But it has lost at least as many Leave voters as it has gained Remain voters.

Where are the next batch of recruits coming from? It isn’t even trying.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

TM is likely to win over 65%+ when she does a deal, which she will. The extremes on both sides will exist and some will quite properly campaign to re-join which may or may not happen but probably not in my lifetime
This discussion has been closed.