Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s by-elections: A LAB & CON hold plus a CON loss to

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So.... Macron can't have an opinion on Syria as he hasn't got the facts on the ground

Yet Russia will issue its own report on Saliisbury .......

riiiight
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,093
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

Interesting. From a legal news service I receive:

"The UK government is to launch a legal challenge against Scotland’s Brexit legislation next week at the Supreme Court.

The Attorney General, Jeremy Wright QC MP and the Advocate General for Scotland, Lord Keen of Elie QC are expected to lodge a formal application contesting the legality of the Continuity Bill at the court.

The legislation is intended to ensure repatriated powers vest in Holyrood and not Westminster upon Brexit.

It was passed by MSPs last month as negotiations between the governments reached an impasse.

Contrary to the advice of Presiding Officer Ken Macintosh, who thought the bill was ultra vires, ministers pushed ahead with the legislation, with the Lord Advocate, James Wolffe QC, making an unprecedented defence of it in the Parliament.

Scottish Secretary David Mundell said it was “almost inevitable” the legality of the bill would require to be tested by the Supreme Court.

He said: “When you have that degree of uncertainty, then you know inevitably it needs to be clarified. I don’t regard it as a big deal as such. That’s where the process takes you.”

A Scottish government spokesman said: “The Continuity Bill was passed overwhelmingly by the Scottish Parliament. Scottish ministers are satisfied the bill is within legislative competence.”

Interesting that they have found a way to go directly to the Supreme Court rather than trudging through the Court of Session.

Thank goodness. The government should be much more assertive in countermanding the extraconstitutional actions of the SNP.

Let’s hope the Supreme Court finds for the Government quickly and unanimously.
    Yreah, we don't want to reach the point of having to bash some granny skulls, do we?

Of course the Continuity Bill was also voted for by SLab, SLDs and the Greens, so not just 'extraconstitutional actions of the SNP'.
  • Options
    Wow - can we just throw this fecker out (Russian Ambassador)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Sandpit said:

Nor the Russian trolls who are straight into the comments section saying MI5 did it, Porton Down did it and why should we trust anything the British government say after Bliar and the dodgy dossier.

For the rest of us, and everyone except Russia, it’s clear proof of what happened. There’s a lot of things that have been declassified by Britain to write that letter, a decision that won’t have been taken lightly.
    When boris stated unequivocally that Putin did it and there was no "clarification" from the PMs office, it was crystal clear they had a whole load of evidence (I would guess even more concrete stuff than has released with this letter).
    Absolutely, and we’ll be sharing that with the USA, France and possibly even China to some extent when this is next debated at the UNSC.

Meanwhile there’s increasing worldwide economic and financial sanctions on Russia, and hopefully Eastern Europe is now starting to realise it needs to get fracking yesterday.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/984774902417907712

After seeing it in action at Wembley the other week, I worry about its use in Russia....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

I remember arguing passionately with iSam that - regardless of racism per se - Powell was simply wrong. The streets had not become rivers of blood.

But iSam was insistent Powell was right, just premature about when; within fifteen years from now if not from then we would have mass civil disturbance.

As if to underline what a prize pill Powell was, I've just heard a recording of him on R4, talking in the immediate aftermath of the 1975 referendum about how "the British people didn't mean it", as they had "no understanding" of what they were voting for...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I wonder where this endless fake accounts and trolling will lead for social media and the repercussions for governing.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Stick it up on the big screen as its done in other sports.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Miss Sarissa, would that extend to Turkish planes? Russian planes? Israeli planes?

A no-fly zone would've been difficult to enforce from the start. Now, I suspect it's impossible.

A no-fly zone feels like a 'safe' option. Hey let's do something that isn't too nasty.

Had one been enforced in Northern Syria nearer the start of the conflict, it's conceivable we wouldn't have seen the destruction of Aleppo, and a million or so fewer refugees in Turkey...

(And it was demonstrably successful in containing Saddam, until Bush 2 made his massive strategic miscalculation.)
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

What rubbish. A hopeless party can still split the vote, to the disadvantage of one of the existing parties.
    Since both Labour and the Conservatives are hopeless parties, headed by hopeless leaders, it would a crowning mercy to take votes away from them.

Whether the answer is another hopeless party, headed by Tony Blair et fils - or not as the case may be - I have considerable reservations on that one.

Meanwhile, in Chichester yesterday, the electors have shown that there is still hope for reasonable people.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Cyclefree said:

The article quoted above is relevant to Philip Collins’ point. Owen Jones may not like it but the far left strand of thought which Corbyn represents provides a very fertile ground for anti-semitism to flourish. It is the Jew as blood-sucking capitalist oppressor strand which flourishes and is intimately linked to this far left view.
    I do wonder whether voters will really understand what they are voting for when the time comes and their pencils hover over the Labour box.
    The Tories are still polling 42/43% in large part to keep Corbyn out
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

To be fair all governments can always find the money for war.This war we are about to engage in , should have a vote in parliament as it needs to be planned and what we hope to be achieved outlined.We are not under immediate attack , so there should be a vote.

Except it is not a war, all it is is a few missiles being lobbed at Assad in response to his using chemical weapons to kill civilians which will be over within 24 hours
    It is war if the Russians as stated attack where the missiles come from Either plane , ship or submarine.Attacking a state , then been attacked , is the definition of war.
    The Russians will be informed beforehand where the missiles are going, they will not be targeted at Russians and the Russians have only said they will try and intercept the missiles, not that they are going to attack US aircraft carriers, submarines etc
    It all sounds a bit like a game and therefore a tad pointless, no? And with all this notice won’t any chemical weapons capability have been moved well out of reach?
    Indeed. Boys with toys playing soldiers. Utterly risible and futile.
    So how do we enforce the CWC? Or should we withdraw from it?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I remember arguing passionately with iSam that - regardless of racism per se - Powell was simply wrong. The streets had not become rivers of blood.

But iSam was insistent Powell was right, just premature about when; within fifteen years from now if not from then we would have mass civil disturbance.

As if to underline what a prize pill Powell was, I've just heard a recording of him on R4, talking in the immediate aftermath of the 1975 referendum about how "the British people didn't mean it", as they had "no understanding" of what they were voting for...
    The 75 cohort DID reversed their decision in 2016 according to all the analysis though.
  • Options
    Floater said:

He is beyond belief and is doing Russia huge damage in this Country.

There is no negotiating with such a malign individual or Country
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited April 2018
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Always an intelligent line of argument, that, but one of the ground rules is that we abide by the terms of treaties into which we have entered. You may think signing up to the CWC was a mistake

Have only ourselves, the US and France signed up to this ?
    Why do we have to play "global policeman" at every opportunity ?
    As ourselves, the US and France are the permanent Western representatives on the UN Security Council
    Ah Good, can you pass me to the passed security council vote/resolution on the matter ?
    Well as Russia will obviously veto it there won't be one.

That does not change the fact the US, France and Iraq are the 3 largest western military powers and the 3 western powers with nuclear weapons and thus will lead any western military action in most cases
    Iraq? The fake news from you gets ever more audacious.
    I said most of the time.

Apart from Iraq 2003, the US, UK and France were all involved in the Gulf War, the Afghanistan War, air strikes in Kosovo, air strikes on Libya and air strikes on ISIS as well as strikes on Assad to come
    "That does not change the fact the US, France and Iraq are the 3 largest western military powers"

Iraq?
    Clearly you have not bothered to read a word I just wrote but as I pointed out beyond Iraq 2003 all 3 powers were involved in 5 out of 6 of the major western interventions since 1990 and will likely be involved together in action against Assad
  • Options
    Floater said:

So.... Macron can't have an opinion on Syria as he hasn't got the facts on the ground

riiiight

The Russians were post-truth well before it even became a concept in the west.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

The 75 cohort DID reversed their decision in 2016 according to all the analysis though.
    Really ?
    I thought the current electorate rather wider than that... and missing more than a few of the '75 vintage.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Floater said:

He's there to represent his country and advance its interests: that's what diplomats do. If he's not doing it very well, then it's for the Russian government to take action, not ours.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Floater said:

riiiight

The Russians were post-truth well before it even became a concept in the west.
    You can hear the incredulity amongst all the journalists at this press conference
  • Options

twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/984774902417907712

After seeing it in action at Wembley the other week, I worry about its use in Russia....
    It’s almost certain there’s going to be at least one key decision in the knockout stages that’s got utterly wrong.

People are also going to be much less tolerant of mistakes made by the VAR, who takes his time to look at all the angles and replays, than they are of the man on the pitch who gets one look at it in real time.
  • Options

Floater said:

He's there to represent his country and advance its interests: that's what diplomats do. If he's not doing it very well, then it's for the Russian government to take action, not ours.
    Oddly, when this kicked off it was the Russian ambassador to *Ireland* trolling the nation on BBC radio. My assumption, these being Russians, was that the UK bloke was too drunk to do so.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

To be fair all governments can always find the money for war.This war we are about to engage in , should have a vote in parliament as it needs to be planned and what we hope to be achieved outlined.We are not under immediate attack , so there should be a vote.

Except it is not a war, all it is is a few missiles being lobbed at Assad in response to his using chemical weapons to kill civilians which will be over within 24 hours
    It is war if the Russians as stated attack where the missiles come from Either plane , ship or submarine.Attacking a state , then been attacked , is the definition of war.
    The Russians will be informed beforehand where the missiles are going, they will not be targeted at Russians and the Russians have only said they will try and intercept the missiles, not that they are going to attack US aircraft carriers, submarines etc
    It all sounds a bit like a game and therefore a tad pointless, no? And with all this notice won’t any chemical weapons capability have been moved well out of reach?
    You ask everyone to come round a table and promise to be good, apparently. And they will be, because they said so.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Indeed. And give live audio feed too, so fans know what's being looked at, and why.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Floater said:

I doubt it - they know what they're doing. Same playbook with Litvinenko, MH17, the state doping, Crimea, Georgia, etc etc: throw out a dozen different conspiracy theories and see which sticks. Huge chunks of the electorate will see only that and fix their opinion of the story at that stage.

Think I'm exaggerating? Look at Trump and Corbyn, the conspiracy loon base is strong in both.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. B, so Powell's pillockery is proven by him behaving like a political ancestor of Lord Adonis? :p
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    I thought the current electorate rather wider than that... and missing more than a few of the '75 vintage.
    But people born after 1959 (And thus not able to vote in '75) can't be considered as part of Powell's analysis herein. And there is no doubt those who voted in '75 (To join) a good deal, switching the majority voted to leave in 2016.
    To suggest otherwise would require a staggering amount of deaths in those who voted remain compared to leave in 1975 that is almost certainly statistically impossible.
    Now I voted to remain and was born in 1981. How could he possibly be referring to me ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Indeed. And give live audio feed too, so fans know what's being looked at, and why.
    Indeed. Works well in cricket and rugby, where you can hear the conversations between the man on the field and the man in the TV room, and the ref on the pitch can see the replays on the screen.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

You ask everyone to come round a table and promise to be good, apparently. And they will be, because they said so.
    You missed out 'and have a cup of tea'
  • Options

Mr. B, so Powell's pillockery is proven by him behaving like a political ancestor of Lord Adonis? :p

With added nativism.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    But people born after 1959 (And thus not able to vote in '75) can't be considered as part of Powell's analysis herein. And there is no doubt those who voted in '75 (To join) a good deal, switching the majority voted to leave in 2016.
    To suggest otherwise would require a staggering amount of deaths in those who voted remain compared to leave in 1975 that is almost certainly statistically impossible.
    Now I voted to remain and was born in 1981. How could he possibly be referring to me ?
    And those who survived 40 years later were voting on an entirely different institution. Powell's assertion, as so often, was both arrogant and wrong.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited April 2018
    TGOHF said:
    The full table is more informative:

150% of the increase in house prices was from income growth.

See Table 1 here:

https://twitter.com/TheClobs/status/984780722153119744?s=19
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Floater said:

I doubt it - they know what they're doing. Same playbook with Litvinenko, MH17, the state doping, Crimea, Georgia, etc etc: throw out a dozen different conspiracy theories and see which sticks. Huge chunks of the electorate will see only that and fix their opinion of the story at that stage.

Think I'm exaggerating? Look at Trump and Corbyn, the conspiracy loon base is strong in both.
    No I do not think you exaggerate.

But his responses to the questions are idiotic and will result in incredulity amongst many:

The white helmets are sponsored by the UK and they did the chemical attack

There is no chemical attack

Why has no one seen the Skripals or interviewed them

We have never had Novichok
  • Options
    Journalists openly laughing at him now
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,714
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

The article quoted above is relevant to Philip Collins’ point. Owen Jones may not like it but the far left strand of thought which Corbyn represents provides a very fertile ground for anti-semitism to flourish. It is the Jew as blood-sucking capitalist oppressor strand which flourishes and is intimately linked to this far left view.
    It's a measure of Labour's problem with antisemitism and knee-jerk anti-UK/US attitudes that when Dianne Abbott gives WW2 as an example of a conflict where it was legitimate to use force, people feel able to joke "on which side?".
    We know that some of Corbyn’s advisors who have been Communists most of their life would have done what Communists did at the time, which was not to fight until 1941, having first allied themselves with the Nazis. So not that much of a joke to wonder on which side people like him and Seamus Milne who still admires Stalin and Corbyn who wanted the total rehabilitation of Trotsky and who has been writing for and reading the Morning star all his life would be. I cannot be certain that they would be on Britain’s side. And I am someone who does not think that Britain should automatically do whatever the US asks of us.
  • Options

Andrew said:

Floater said:

But his responses to the questions are idiotic and will result in incredulity amongst many:

I must correct one thing - the white helmets might have assisted but he says it was special forces of unspecified nation - but effectively, us or USA or France.

Corbyn wants to sit down with these people?

• Options
    Strangely Milne and Russia selling the same messaging
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2018
    FF43 said:

The irony of Trump accusing someone of being an untruthful slimeball.

The secondary irony being that Comey tipped the election to him with that last minute announcement.
  • Options
    FF43 said:
    I thought the Don paid good money to see proven LEAKERS in action.
  • Options
    Comeys excuse for the late clinton email announcement isn't very convincing, that he thought clinton would win come what may so it was ok to do it then.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:
    Big slump in PiS popularity in latest polish poll.

Poland, Kantar poll:
    PO+N-EPP/ALDE: 37% (+3)
    PiS-ECR: 33% (-14)
    K'15-*: 11% (+3)
    SLD-S&D: 8% (+3)
    PSL-EPP: 3%
    Field work: 9/04/18 – 10/04/18
    Sample size: 1,000
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    And those who survived 40 years later were voting on an entirely different institution. Powell's assertion, as so often, was both arrogant and wrong.
    Different-ish. "Ever Closer Union" was always a stated objective, as were monetary union (originally slated for 1980 when the UK joined, though that target had been dropped by 1975) and the single market - so the political foundations necessary to support those policy goals was always implicit. The only thing that really might not have been foreseen was the scale of the expansion east.
  • Options

Comeys excuse for the late clinton email announcement isn't very convincing, that he thought clinton would win come what may so it was ok to do it then.

He might have won Don the election. Trump seems very ungrateful.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Two things will stop Assad using chemical weapons: total victory or total defeat. If we’re not prepared to engineer either of those outcomes then it can’t be enforced. Once again there is total disconnect between aspiration and capabilities when it comes to defence matters. Not least among pb.com’s ultracrepidarian chickenhawk tories.
  • Options
    Trump is certainly good for business for news networks, late night talk shows and book publishers!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,714

No. Reading between the lines of a precis of what Comey wrote, it looks like he realised he made a mistake on the Clinton emails case but he's not admitting to it.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

Poland, Kantar poll:
    Is this presidential?

If it's parliamentary we've had several polls showing little or no movement since the last dramatic shfit
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,122

Andrew said:

Floater said:

Forensic science in Russia: a Big Boy did it and Ran Away.

(He was either an American or an Israeli big boy, we can't be sure.)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    Different-ish. "Ever Closer Union" was always a stated objective, as were monetary union (originally slated for 1980 when the UK joined, though that target had been dropped by 1975) and the single market - so the political foundations necessary to support those policy goals was always implicit. The only thing that really might not have been foreseen was the scale of the expansion east.
    All of which was massively played down to the U.K. electorate who were sold a “common market”.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

Poland, Kantar poll:
    So everyone is taking the PiS...vote.
  • Options
    Jaguar Land Rover is to cut 1,000 jobs in the west Midlands, blaming a slump in car sales due to uncertainty over Brexit and the future of diesel vehicles.

Britain’s biggest carmaker will cut 1,000 temporary contract workers at its plant in Solihull. The factory employs 10,000 workers, including 2,000 contract staff.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/13/jaguar-land-rover-to-announce-1000-job-cuts-next-week?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's a measure of Labour's problem with antisemitism and knee-jerk anti-UK/US attitudes that when Dianne Abbott gives WW2 as an example of a conflict where it was legitimate to use force, people feel able to joke "on which side?".
    We know that some of Corbyn’s advisors who have been Communists most of their life would have done what Communists did at the time, which was not to fight until 1941, having first allied themselves with the Nazis. So not that much of a joke to wonder on which side people like him and Seamus Milne who still admires Stalin and Corbyn who wanted the total rehabilitation of Trotsky and who has been writing for and reading the Morning star all his life would be. I cannot be certain that they would be on Britain’s side. And I am someone who does not think that Britain should automatically do whatever the US asks of us.
    A quarter of Labour Party members think the U.K. is a force for bad in this world.
  • Options

Floater said:

Are you watching your guy, Jeremy?
  • Options

Jaguar Land Rover is to cut 1,000 jobs in the west Midlands, blaming a slump in car sales due to uncertainty over Brexit and the future of diesel vehicles.

Britain’s biggest carmaker will cut 1,000 temporary contract workers at its plant in Solihull. The factory employs 10,000 workers, including 2,000 contract staff.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/13/jaguar-land-rover-to-announce-1000-job-cuts-next-week?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That blame could be 1% Brexit and 99% because they make diesels....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Two things will stop Assad using chemical weapons: total victory or total defeat. If we’re not prepared to engineer either of those outcomes then it can’t be enforced. Once again there is total disconnect between aspiration and capabilities when it comes to defence matters. Not least among pb.com’s ultracrepidarian chickenhawk tories.
    Ultracrepidarian is good, but let me remind you of Clemenceau's words: La guerre! C'est une chose trop grave pour la confier à des militaires. You do not have privileged insight into Assad's mindset, and I refer you to Elgin's burning of the Summer Palace, which seems to have been effective in modifying the behaviour of the Chinese despite not entailing their total defeat.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Professor of industry, David Bailey, from Aston University, said: "With the big turn against diesel engines, Jaguar Land Rover is particularly exposed as more than 90% of its UK sales are diesels.

Given how unpopular diesels are, it's a bit like trying to sell a car with claims that it has been personally detailed by members of the FSB.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Are you really arguing if we let him use them to win he wont use them anymore?

So lets all tear up the CWC - lets build up our own stocks and those of any other banned weapon whilst we are at it.

• Options
    Vladimir Putin has warned Emmanuel Macron against 'ill-considered and dangerous actions' in Syria, the Kremlin has confirmed.

Seems he wants Russia to maintain the monopoly on ill considered and dangerous actions

• Options

JLR were Indian last time you posted about them. It's Andy Murray is British/Scottish all over again.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    All of which was massively played down to the U.K. electorate who were sold a “common market”.
    IIRC correctly political union was always on the horizon. And I spent some time leafleting and, on the day itself, driving a loudspeaker van.
  • Options

Professor of industry, David Bailey, from Aston University, said: "With the big turn against diesel engines, Jaguar Land Rover is particularly exposed as more than 90% of its UK sales are diesels.

Given how unpopular diesels are, it's a bit like trying to sell a car with claims that it has been personally detailed by members of the FSB.
    JLR’s big problem is its sub Eastern Bloc build quality and reliability. They are always bitterly slugging it out with Jeep for the bottom spot on the JD Power survey.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Car sales are down all over Europe, especially in the premium sector, as diesels are subject to increasing regulation by authorities but electric cars aren’t yet up to standard. There’s probably going to be a lull in sales for 2-3 years.

Speaking of which, Tesla are having an almighty row with the NTSB about their latest crash in the US, have been kicked off the investigation for trying to manage and spin releases of information. https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/04/12/2128218/ntsb-boots-tesla-from-investigation-into-fatal-autopilot-crash
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    Weren't we the main drivers of the expansion east?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Floater said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

So lets all tear up the CWC - lets build up our own stocks and those of any other banned weapon whilst we are at it.

Even the premise is false. Assad will stop using chemical weapons if he believes the repercussions he faces for using them are larger than the benefits he gets from using them.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    And our opt out from monetary union...
    Point is that objectives can, and do get modified. To claim that Powell's contemporary dismissal of a democratic vote was somehow justified post hoc by the events of four decades later is tendentious, to say the least.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    Yes. It was a particular policy of Mrs T. IIRC she thought that Poland and (former) Czechoslovakia in particular would be our allies.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Always an intelligent line of argument, that, but one of the ground rules is that we abide by the terms of treaties into which we have entered. You may think signing up to the CWC was a mistake

As ourselves, the US and France are the permanent Western representatives on the UN Security Council
    Ah Good, can you pass me to the passed security council vote/resolution on the matter ?

That does not change the fact the US, France and Iraq are the 3 largest western military powers and the 3 western powers with nuclear weapons and thus will lead any western military action in most cases
    I said most of the time.

Apart from Iraq 2003, the US, UK and France were all involved in the Gulf War, the Afghanistan War, air strikes in Kosovo, air strikes on Libya and air strikes on ISIS as well as strikes on Assad to come
    "That does not change the fact the US, France and Iraq are the 3 largest western military powers"

Iraq?
    Clearly you have not bothered to read a word I just wrote but as I pointed out beyond Iraq 2003 all 3 powers were involved in 5 out of 6 of the major western interventions since 1990 and will likely be involved together in action against Assad
    Clearly you haven't bothered to read what you wrote;

"Well as Russia will obviously veto it there won't be one.

That does not change the fact the US, France and Iraq are the 3 largest western military powers and the 3 western powers with nuclear weapons and thus will lead any western military action in most cases"
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    IIRC correctly political union was always on the horizon. And I spent some time leafleting and, on the day itself, driving a loudspeaker van.
    Lucky you. You were old enough to vote for it. I was past 50 before anyone bothered asking me if I approved. And that sense of one chance, ever, weighed heavily with me.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Floater said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Even the premise is false. Assad will stop using chemical weapons if he believes the repercussions he faces for using them are larger than the benefits he gets from using them.
    So what repercussions would make him stop? Because the $40m worth of Block IV BGM-109C on Shayrat last year did SFA.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2018

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    But people born after 1959 (And thus not able to vot
    No. This is another Europhile myth to pretend that Britain has had decisive influence within the EU, just like how Mrs Thatcher is supposedly responsible for the Single Market. Nothing important in Europe happens without the agreement of France and Germany, who have dispensation to ignore rules when inconvenient (see the Stability and Growth Pact).

In The Great Decepion, North and Booker set out how it was Altiero Spinelli who was the first mover for the Single Market, and that he envisioned it as a two-stage process (Single European Act in 1986 followed by Maastricht Treaty in 1992) from the outset. Mrs Thatcher said she wouldn’t have signed Maastricht, which rather pours cold water on her being responsible for its creation.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Dura_Ace said:

JLR’s big problem is its sub Eastern Bloc build quality and reliability. They are always bitterly slugging it out with Jeep for the bottom spot on the JD Power survey.
    JD Power 2017
    Kia and Volvo rank highest in a tie in vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 83 Problems per 100 vehicles over up to 3 years. Škoda ranks third with 89 PP100, followed by Suzuki with 92 PP100.

Vauxhall has two models (Insignia and Meriva) that receive segment awards. Škoda Fabia, Peugeot 108, Volvo V40 and Jaguar XF also receive a segment award.

The 2017 UK Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 12,000 owners of new vehicles registered from February 2014 through April 2016. The study was fielded from February through April 2017.

The most often reported problem is built-in Bluetooth mobile phone/device frequent pairing/connectivity issues.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Diesel cars are finished. Diesel buses and light vans wont be far behind.

Uk : Oct 2015 diesel cars were 52% of new sales, now 32%.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/electric-buses-china-half-worlds-fleet-public-transport-renewable-energy-a8190651.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Sandpit said:

Nor the Russian trolls who are straight into the comments section saying MI5 did it, Porton Down did it and why should we trust anything the British government say after Bliar and the dodgy dossier.

For the rest of us, and everyone except Russia, it’s clear proof of what happened. There’s a lot of things that have been declassified by Britain to write that letter, a decision that won’t have been taken lightly.
    and Saddam definitely had WMDs

and Libya intervention was definitely the right thing to do.

Whats the post bombing plan for Syria?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/electric-buses-china-half-worlds-fleet-public-transport-renewable-energy-a8190651.html
    Managed to get 70 MPG on the work run this morning, am going to try and keep my diesel running for some years yet :)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Owls, CON Gain Killamarsh parish council - would you Adam and Eve it !
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SAD....
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Managed to get 70 MPG on the work run this morning, am going to try and keep my diesel running for some years yet :)
    How many people will die as a result
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SAD....
    And the FCO and Boris have been right from day one.

Definitely no reason for them to remove any of their tweets on the matter.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Thousands.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Is his driving that bad ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SAD....
    And the FCO and Boris have been right from day one.

Definitely no reason for them to remove any of their tweets on the matter.
    SAD....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstars car more dangerous than Assads WMDs
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817
    RoyalBlue said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    But people born after 1959 (And thus not able to vot
    No. This is another Europhile myth to pretend that Britain has had decisive influence within the EU, just like how Mrs Thatcher is supposedly responsible for the Single Market. Nothing important in Europe happens without the agreement of France and Germany, who have dispensation to ignore rules when inconvenient (see the Stability and Growth Pact).

In The Great Decepion, North and Booker set out how it was Altiero Spinelli who was the first mover for the Single Market, and that he envisioned it as a two-stage process (Single European Act in 1986 followed by Maastricht Treaty in 1992) from the outset. Mrs Thatcher said she wouldn’t have signed Maastricht, which rather pours cold water on her being responsible for its creation.
    ... right.
    Um. Okay...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

Poland, Kantar poll:
    But, nine minutes later, another pollster gives Law and Justice 55%, to 19% for Civic Platform.

No one could accuse them of herding,.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

A quarter of Labour Party members think the U.K. is a force for bad in this world.
    Well of course! That is Tory foreign policy for you.

Under different management we need not be a force for bad. It is why we need change.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

Poland, Kantar poll:
    But, nine minutes later, another pollster gives Law and Justice 55%, to 19% for Civic Platform.

No one could accuse them of herding,.
    I was trying to work out if some are presidential and some parliamentary
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Actually, conservatives, socialists and liberals all favoured the eastward expansion of the EU for their own selfish reasons.

Conservatives thought the addition of ex-Communist states would act as a bulwark against Franco-German federalism as these states, having been part of one supra-national institution against their will, would baulk at joining another. They were wrong.

Socialists thought the admission of ex-Communist states would guarantee a large influx of left-wing voters which would guarantee the dominance of centre-left politics and policies within the EU. They were wrong.

Liberals hoped the admission of the ex-Communist states would force the EU to reform internally and become more representative. They were wrong.

We should have held the ex-Communist states as associate members until their GDP reached levels more akin to western and southern Europe. The west European nations would invest heavily and help build a new economic and political culture within these countries that in time would pave the way for full EU membership.

Meanwhile, we should have internally reformed the EU and made it ready to become a much larger supra-national organisation with a limited central executive working with and assisting European national Governments in collaborative activities.

I would have been wrong.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    There were two sides in the referendum. Benn, Powell and the rest of the Leave (No?) crew could have made the point.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Really ?
    The eastern states themselves were the main drivers but Britain was very keen on them joining - but that was a post-1989 development; it wasn't foreseeable in 1975.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I said most of the time.

Iraq?
    "That does not change the fact the US, France and ***IRAQ*** are the 3 largest western military powers"
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

JD Power 2017
    Kia and Volvo rank highest in a tie in vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 83 Problems per 100 vehicles over up to 3 years. Škoda ranks third with 89 PP100, followed by Suzuki with 92 PP100.

Vauxhall has two models (Insignia and Meriva) that receive segment awards. Škoda Fabia, Peugeot 108, Volvo V40 and Jaguar XF also receive a segment award.

The 2017 UK Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 12,000 owners of new vehicles registered from February 2014 through April 2016. The study was fielded from February through April 2017.

The most often reported problem is built-in Bluetooth mobile phone/device frequent pairing/connectivity issues.
    I’ve got a Fabia and there are pairing connectivity issues. In particular, sometimes the sound drops out on the satnav.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Actually, conservatives, socialists and liberals all favoured the eastward expansion of the EU for their own selfish reasons.

Conservatives thought the addition of ex-Communist states would act as a bulwark against Franco-German federalism as these states, having been part of one supra-national institution against their will, would baulk at joining another. They were wrong.

Socialists thought the admission of ex-Communist states would guarantee a large influx of left-wing voters which would guarantee the dominance of centre-left politics and policies within the EU. They were wrong.

Liberals hoped the admission of the ex-Communist states would force the EU to reform internally and become more representative. They were wrong.

We should have held the ex-Communist states as associate members until their GDP reached levels more akin to western and southern Europe. The west European nations would invest heavily and help build a new economic and political culture within these countries that in time would pave the way for full EU membership.

Meanwhile, we should have internally reformed the EU and made it ready to become a much larger supra-national organisation with a limited central executive working with and assisting European national Governments in collaborative activities.

I would have been wrong.

Agree about having the Ex-Communist states as associate members.
This discussion has been closed.