Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting edges a notch away from Trump completing his first

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Very impressive from TMay.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Russia, veto, veto, veto. May laying it out straight for the public.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    For all her faults, May is growing into her role. She is speaking with authority and clarity.

That will be a great contrast to Mr Shouty McShoutface who will get to his feet shortly
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117

'Foreign power with veto on our policy.'

Corbyn in real trouble over this

For the Putin to have a veto, vote Labour.

Has a ring about it.
  • Options

For all her faults, May is growing into her role. She is speaking with authority and clarity.

That will be a great contrast to Mr Shouty McShoutface who will get to his feet shortly

And how.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

If Amber Rudd has to resign who would we expect to replace her?

Dominic Raab?
    Looks like it could be an anagram.
    Man planning to slip barmaid coin? (7,4)
    Brilliant! "Toss" better than "slip", perhaps?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

She was very good in response to the terrorist attacks, fat lot of good it did her.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Dominic Raab?
    Looks like it could be an anagram.
    Man planning to slip barmaid coin? (7,4)
    Don't - I had a shocker with the number series question the other day...
  • Options

And how.
    This is her Falklands moment. A real leader full of duty and conviction
  • Options

She was very good in response to the terrorist attacks, fat lot of good it did her.
    She is still PM.
  • Options
    Best I have seen from Theresa May as PM.

Not a high bar, to be fair, but she cleared it by a mile.
  • Options
    Corbyn wants to enshrine his pacifism into law.

Some might call that noble. I call it cowardice and bordering on treason.
  • Options

And how.
    Snap election? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2018

She is still PM.
    Just...It didn’t do her any good during the GE campaign.

• Options
    Outstanding from May.
  • Options

And how.
    Snap election? :smiley:
    No - don't go there
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Corbyn for PM is the bet.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited April 2018

Has a ring about it.
    For a Russian Bear as the PM’s neighbour - vote Labour.
  • Options
    Corbyn gets it wrong from his first paragraph onwards
  • Options

Corbyn wants to enshrine his pacifism into law.

Some might call that noble. I call it cowardice and bordering on treason.

Putin could get Russia to invade the uk, and him sizing up the curtain in buck palace for his summer house and corbyn would still be wittering in about not being able to launch any military action.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Bercow helping out Corbyn by silencing noisy condemnation.
  • Options
    Bercow having to protect Corbyn

Pathetic
  • Options
    Pretty sure I just heard, when Speaker said May was heard in silence and Jezza isn't, someone shouted 'But she wasn't talking rubbish!"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Has a ring about it.
    Vote labour, get putin...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    No deselection in Leeds Central. The over-enthusiastic elements of the CLP appear to have calmed down.
  • Options

Bercow helping out Corbyn by silencing noisy condemnation.

The armosphere is one of utter contempt for Corbyn
  • Options
    Here we go, whataboutery. Saudia etc etc.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    From some of the comments here, a few PBers might have just run out of Kleenex.
  • Options
    Lots of embarrassed faces on the Opposition benches as Corbyn tries to divert attention by talking about anything but the real matters in hand
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, yes, but Bercow silencing critics shouting at Corbyn means clips on the news will make it appear like genuinely respectful silence.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Has a ring about it.
    Vote labour, get putin...
    We seem to have moved on from 'Vote Labour, Get Lenin'
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

Not me, this time :)
  • Options

BTW I did the new Ordsall Curve in Manchester a week ago, and also the Chester Zoo Monorail on Easter Sunday.
  • Options

Lots of embarrassed faces on the Opposition benches as Corbyn tries to divert attention by talking about anything but the real matters in hand

Hearing the shadow minister on radio 5 yesterday desperately trying to claim that jezza wasn’t doubting the evidence was about as a convincing as a 5 year old trying to lie about if he took a sweetie from the jar (while the wrapper is stuck in their hair).
  • Options
    Well, anyone who says politicians are all the same, will need locking up after this afternoon.
  • Options
    Penny for Watson's thoughts...
  • Options

He charges a lot more than that.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Nor worth spending a penny for.
  • Options
    Vote Labour, vote for gas attacks.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Corbyn should have led on the non-recall of parliament. That is where the PM is weakest.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995

God knows I've taken the piss out of Lammy plenty of times on here, but he was excellent asking about Windrush: https://order-order.com/2018/04/16/rudd-attacks-home-office/

I'm very conflicted about Lammy. He can speak very eloquently and intelligently about certain topics, and obviously cares deeply about others. And then he says stuff that makes me thing "whaaaaat the f****k?"
  • Options
    Ken Clarke 'It takes a real Prime Minister to take these decisions'
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that's people, though. Wise in some areas, dim in others.
  • Options
    Ken now doing Corbyn's job for him on Parliament and votes.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Scott_P said:
    Another from Brandon's troll farm.Tories are at their worst when they're self-righteous and lose their loving feeling.
  • Options

Corbyn should have led on the non-recall of parliament. That is where the PM is weakest.

Correct. K Clarke filling the gap.

OTOH the paradigm case of letting parliament have a say is 2002, and that worked well, didn't it? Not only did it not work, it gave the repulsive Blair carte blanche to do whatever he wanted to a greater extent than if he were acting off his own bat.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, that's people, though. Wise in some areas, dim in others.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a man from the AA who was fixing my car. He said the worst customers were medical doctors, who often insisted that they knew best, and would get frustrated when the AA man - the expert - corrected them.

I fear the same can happen for many MPs, and indeed all of us. We may know a lot about specific area, but it's dangerous to assume that makes us an expert in others.
  • Options
    Mr. Z, and an excuse, by binding MPs to him, by saying it wasn't his decision, but Parliament's.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Dominic Raab?
    Generally Theresa has tried to replace like with like when one of her Ministers has had to resign.

So if Rudd goes I'd expect her to be replaced by another woman. And someone from the REMAIN side of Con.

Which I think rules out Raab on both counts? ;)

Now I've said that watch TM promote Rabb if Rudd quits. :D
    I think if she were to bring a Remain-er into the cabinet (Rory Stewart), and/or promote Penny Morduant at the same time, she would achieve that goal.
  • Options
    What is the point of the SNP spokesman just asking questions that have already been answered?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Correct. K Clarke filling the gap.

OTOH the paradigm case of letting parliament have a say is 2002, and that worked well, didn't it? Not only did it not work, it gave the repulsive Blair carte blanche to do whatever he wanted to a greater extent than if he were acting off his own bat.
    Yebbut Blair was a Tory wasn't he? :lol:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Another from Brandon's troll farm.Tories are at their worst when they're self-righteous and lose their loving feeling.
    Calling a proper journalist a denizen of a party troll farm is as actionable a libel as I've seen on this site. If you have bought in to the mistaken belief that that is OGH's problem, it isn't. It is yours: see the Defamation Act 2013.

Be very afraid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

God knows I've taken the piss out of Lammy plenty of times on here, but he was excellent asking about Windrush: https://order-order.com/2018/04/16/rudd-attacks-home-office/

I'm very conflicted about Lammy. He can speak very eloquently and intelligently about certain topics, and obviously cares deeply about others. And then he says stuff that makes me thing "whaaaaat the f****k?"
    Lammy's biggest quiver in his bow is that he is Tottenham through and through. I think it shows through in that he has an intimate knowledge of his patch and its issues re knife crime and so forth.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Dominic Raab?
    Generally Theresa has tried to replace like with like when one of her Ministers has had to resign.

So if Rudd goes I'd expect her to be replaced by another woman. And someone from the REMAIN side of Con.

I think if she were to bring a Remain-er into the cabinet (Rory Stewart), and/or promote Penny Morduant at the same time, she would achieve that goal.
    It'll be interesting to hear any contribution Rory has to make on this matter.

On another point, the PM has been really family-unfriendly with this statement. It is just after school picking-up time, on the first dry sunny day for some time, and then there is tea to make. Please think of all the stay-at-home dads, and make statement before 15.00. Cheers. ;)

(file under first world fathering silly problems)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Dominic Raab?

It'll be interesting to hear any contribution Rory has to make on this matter.

On another point, the PM has been really family-unfriendly with this statement. It is just after school picking-up time, on the first dry sunny day for some time, and then there is tea to make. Please think of all the stay-at-home dads, and make statement before 15.00. Cheers. ;)

(file under first world fathering silly problems)
    Isn't that what the radio is for? :p
  • Options
    Michael Fallon is worried about giving notice -- does he not follow the Donald's twitter feed?
  • Options
    Yvette avoiding getting Jezza in even more sh*t by concentrating on parliament and being allowed to vote, rather than whether the action was right.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2018

Here's another point in favour of Lammy.

Lammy went to the trouble of finding out about the huge Oxbridge bias against, amongst other things, Welsh students.

In 2016, Cambridge accepted just 57 Welsh students. There are schools in London that -- alone -- sent more to Oxbridge than this.

The only reason data like this -- the overwhelming Oxbridge bias to London, the South and the East -- is more widely known is because of David Lammy.

Labour have tonnes of vacuous, space-wasting Welsh MPs.

None of them have ever managed to raise this issue, which has persisted for decades. It was left to David Lammy to make the running.

I've got a lot of time for David Lammy.
  • Options
    Benn joins Yvette in same argument.

Why are they propping Jezza up like this? Get into the meat of the issue. Respond or not?
  • Options
    Dominic Grieve just shafted Corbyn
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Dominic Grieve had some Weetabix this morning.
  • Options
    Grieve goes for Jezza. Big time. At last.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Dominic Grieve just shafted Corbyn

He may be an arch-remainer, but he's a pretty good egg.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter

Paul Waugh@paulwaugh
    Small but important point: Corbyn said Sgt Matt Tonroe was an 'SAS sniper'. PM followed convention of not referring to special forces membership explicitly
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Ridiculous statement. Legality of military action and the role of Parliament are very valid questions.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

Paul Waugh@paulwaugh
    Small but important point: Corbyn said Sgt Matt Tonroe was an 'SAS sniper'. PM followed convention of not referring to special forces membership explicitly

Yep total f***ing idiot.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Ridiculous statement. Legality of military action and the role of Parliament are very valid questions.
    Corbyn would hand our security over to a Russian veto.

This will become the theme and it will result in him never becoming PM
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Well that goes for many of us on here, too...
  • Options
    murali_s said:

No it is isn't. Listen to Grieve's point.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Russia’s disinformation onslaught has cranked up another notch since US, UK and French air strikes this weekend on Syrian chemical weapons targets. According to the Pentagon, there’s been a 2,000 percent increase in Russian troll activity online.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/16/russias-trolls-propagandists-have-turned-soviet-disinformation/

Helps when the leader of the opposition uses the propaganda as the centre piece of his responses.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Paul Waugh@paulwaugh

Yep total f***ing idiot.
    Unless the Russian embassy forgot to pay its newspaper bill, Mr Putin will already have seen this widely reported.
  • Options
    Corbyn, mass murdering dictator's useful idiot.
  • Options

Corbyn, mass murdering dictator's useful idiot.
    Have UNSC also now got a veto over NATO action under a Labour government?

We should be told.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    At last, Chris leslie piles in to Corbyn.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    fitalass said:

Twitter

Paul Waugh@paulwaugh

Why are they telling Corbyn private info, if we cannot keep his mouth shut?

• Options

At last, Chris leslie piles in to Corbyn.

And gets a massive cheer from his own benches......
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Here's another point in favour of Lammy.

Lammy went to the trouble of finding out about the huge Oxbridge bias against, amongst other things, Welsh students.

In 2016, Cambridge accepted just 57 Welsh students. There are schools in London that -- alone -- sent more to Oxbridge than this.

The only reason data like this -- the overwhelming Oxbridge bias to London, the South and the East -- is more widely known is because of David Lammy.

Labour have tonnes of vacuous, space-wasting Welsh MPs.

None of them have ever managed to raise this issue, which has persisted for decades. It was left to David Lammy to make the running.

I've got a lot of time for David Lammy.
    I thought they all went to Jesus, Oxford?
  • Options
    Chris Leslie just stabbed Corbyn in the back
  • Options

fitalass said:

Twitter

Paul Waugh@paulwaugh

Why are they telling Corbyn private info, if we cannot keep his mouth shut?

I do wonder what they tell him in the security briefings...if they aren't giving him all the facts, perhaps we can let him off his InfoWars tendencies...
  • Options
    Leslie and Kendal. The only decent Labour MPs left so far.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Some of us have been highlighting Corbyn's danger for a long time. It's amazing how long it takes for people to wake up to this. And then they forget about it when the crisis passes. In reality, democrats of left, right and centre need to stop this man ever getting in power. Western democracy is too important.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    And now Ben Bradshaw.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Paul Waugh@paulwaugh

Yep total f***ing idiot.
    Unless the Russian embassy forgot to pay its newspaper bill, Mr Putin will already have seen this widely reported.
    Not from someone who has had access to security information, though.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Some of us have been highlighting Corbyn's danger for a long time. It's amazing how long it takes for people to wake up to this. And then they forget about it when the crisis passes. In reality, democrats of left, right and centre need to stop this man ever getting in power. Western democracy is too important.
    There's 4 years to get this message across.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Elliot said:

If you think Jezza is dangerous, McDonnell is another level above that as a) he isn't a moron, b) is willing to be extremely flexible with the truth about his real opinions to get what he wants and c) is even more extreme in his support for terrorists and d) isn't a socialist, he is a Marxist.
  • Options

Someone needed to.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Every time it looks like Corbyn might finally be on the rocks the Tories do something stupid to divert attention.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

murali_s said:

Corbyn would hand our security over to a Russian veto.

This will become the theme and it will result in him never becoming PM
    Maybe but remember that cuts both ways (viz. Israel and the US)).
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

In the front, surely?
  • Options
    Chris Leslie putting Yvette and Hilary to shame
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Elliot said:

There's 4 years to get this message across.
    Part of the problem is many people under 30 get their news from social media and don't watch TV news or read the papers. Social media is utterly dominated by Corbyn supporters. On platforms like reddit they can actually bury the negative stories like this. Though I do wonder how many of those Corbyn supporters are actually Russian accounts.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    AndyJS said:

Every time it looks like Corbyn might finally be on the rocks the Tories do something stupid to divert attention.

And vice versa, I think ?
This discussion has been closed.