Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There signs are that TMay might have to face a confidence moti

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Boris comment turn me completely off the Brexiteers and if he got anywhere near leader I would resign

My sincere respect to you for that.
    From one faintheart to another.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Just got off a plane. I’ve not missed much, have I? :D

Some bird with big tits fancies a lad with an 8-pack on love island...other than that nought going on.
    For God’s sake man put a spoiler alert on things like that. :o
    Spoiler alert...too late?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Perhaps the Tories must now split. A leadership contest will be held, and the supporters of the losing candidate won’t follow the new leader.

History doesn’t repeat, but it rhymes...

I expect that there will be a leadership contest. And I expect that the Party will unite around the new leader.
    Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again. It's not like if may wins, or someone who backs the deal, that Mogg and co will suddenly be supportive of it.

The party needs to split. It no longer has common cause on the fundamental issue of the day. If the sides cannot agree on a middle way, and they self evidently cannot, they should stop pretending.
    There is no middle way. That is the whole problem. We stay a satrapy of the EU to protect our economy at the price of meaningful independence, or we go for freedom whatever the cost.
    Hence the need for a split. There is not the support for freedom no matter the cost, so if that is what enough tory mps want they need to win the fight or leave.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    SeanT said:

TMay is dead. STICK THE FORK

if Boris goes tomorrow , TM is toast, the party will be looking to 2022 , and know they can't back a loser again.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297

Boris comment turn me completely off the Brexiteers and if he got anywhere near leader I would resign

My sincere respect to you for that.
    Thank you - my party are in crisis and I will not support any hard Brexiteers

In the end this looks like a peoples vote is inevitable as is staying in
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Jonathan said:
    Rich from a man who has seen more than 100 resignations from his shadow team so far
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Perhaps the Tories must now split. A leadership contest will be held, and the supporters of the losing candidate won’t follow the new leader.

I expect that there will be a leadership contest. And I expect that the Party will unite around the new leader.
    Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again.

The party needs to split. It no longer has common cause on the fundamental issue of the day. If the sides cannot agree on a middle way, and they self evidently cannot, they should stop pretending.
    Not really, there are probably about 20 remainer ultras, 20-30 remainer-lites (think May/Hammond), 50-60 Brexit-lite (think Javid) and another 60-80 Brexit-ultras. The rest are somewhere in between and biddable.
    The point is the ultras on either side prevent anything from happening. The pretence that all of them can be made happy has led to the incompetent dithering and can kicking we have seen.

Until they tories fight this out they cannot move on. Whether enough is left to move on after the fight remains to be seen.
    A leadership election will bridge a lot of the gap. If someone like Javid wins then he'll get the support of all groups except the remainer ultras, only around half of those will back whatever vision of brexit he has. The rest won't be happy unless they've undone the public vote, I wouldn't mind dumping them and running a minority.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:
    Rich from a man who has seen more than 100 resignations from his shadow team so far
    That's the luxury of being in oppositon.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Jonathan said:

/twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1016104220594982913
    That was quick, did he know?

Do we think jezza actually does all his own tweets? Or like a lot of headliners at music festivals they have others with access to their account?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    dixiedean said:

To sum up. TMay tried to stamp her authority. She found she didn't have any. She hasn't since last June.

Indeed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

. Deleted as source not reliable.

That Boris statement must surely be a resignation statement if verified? In which case a confidence vote is very likely this week I would have thought
    I am not at all sure that it will be necessary. I think TM will resign as well triggering a leadership campaign
  • Options
    If she carries on with prominent leavers who won the referendum gone, she will be sticking two fingers up to the 17 million who voted leave
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited July 2018

RoyalBlue said:

I think it's an absolute certainty that they'll split. They're not only facing in different directions but pulling strongly in different directions.
    In which case Labour will split soon after, it is straining the elastic to breaking point keeping Umunna and Kendall and Corbyn and McDonnell in the same party.

At least the majority of the Cabinet has not yet resigned unlike the majority of Corbyn's formet Shadow Cabinet
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again.

Not really, there are probably about 20 remainer ultras, 20-30 remainer-lites (think May/Hammond), 50-60 Brexit-lite (think Javid) and another 60-80 Brexit-ultras. The rest are somewhere in between and biddable.
    The point is the ultras on either side prevent anything from happening. The pretence that all of them can be made happy has led to the incompetent dithering and can kicking we have seen.

Until they tories fight this out they cannot move on. Whether enough is left to move on after the fight remains to be seen.
    A leadership election will bridge a lot of the gap. If someone like Javid wins then he'll get the support of all groups except the remainer ultras, only around half of those will back whatever vision of brexit he has. The rest won't be happy unless they've undone the public vote, I wouldn't mind dumping them and running a minority.
    There really isn’t time to have a leadership election. The clock is ticking, and I doubt the EU will change their demands based on who is in No 10.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That Boris statement must surely be a resignation statement if verified? In which case a confidence vote is very likely this week I would have thought
    I am not at all sure that it will be necessary. I think TM will resign as well triggering a leadership campaign
    May won't resign, she will cling on if she wins a no confidence vote and attempt to hold on until the end of the transition period
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I really hope so, because with TM Brexit does not mean Brexit, her red lines are not red at all, she is a remainer in leave clothing, she has to go, she has betrayed the democratic will of the British people
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again. It's not like if may wins, or someone who backs the deal, that Mogg and co will suddenly be supportive of it.

There is no middle way. That is the whole problem. We stay a satrapy of the EU to protect our economy at the price of meaningful independence, or we go for freedom whatever the cost.
    No, no ,no we're, going to have or cake and eat it. The EU will be desperate to do a deal with us.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Javid backed May's deal which leaver ultras say is a no go. How does he get their support?

No. Corbyn is a hypocrite given his continual trouble with his MPs, but May is toast and no group in the tories looks strong enough to beat the others outright. An attempt to pretend they are one happy family is the farce we've been subjected to for a year and more. If two leaver ultras are in the final the ultra remainers need to go, if a non ultra leaver gets through and wins the ultra leavers need to go, since there's no chance they play nice if they lose.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2018
    David Davis once replied personally to an email I sent him, although the tone of it was a bit dismissive. So I've never been a big fan of his.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    RoyalBlue said:

Was that really called for? It's unworthy of you.

• Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

There really isn’t time to have a leadership election. The clock is ticking, and I doubt the EU will change their demands based on who is in No 10.
    We need to have a bloodletting, it's the only way for the party to move on. Its been far too long since we all had a massive and open fight over the soul/heart of the party. Right now there's too much sniping and bad blood for a unity candidate and coronation, no one will agree on the candidate.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    edited July 2018
    What I really fail to grasp is how he was appointed in the first place. The task was so far beyond his, admittedly modest, skill set it wasn't even funny. Did May really want the negotiation to be executed poorly?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In which case Labour will split soon after, it is straining the elastic to breaking point keeping Umunna and Kendall and Corbyn and McDonnell in the same party.

At least the majority of the Cabinet has not yet resigned unlike the majority of Corbyn's formet Shadow Cabinet

You keep making the mistake of thinking that I care anything about the Labour Party. I don't... I'm a Liberal Democrat - but I get the impression that we non-Conservatives are all the same to you.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    AndyJS said:

David Davis once replied personally to an email I sent him, although the tone of it was a bit dismissive and rude. So I've never been a big fan of his.

Apparently he went to my Nan's WI meeting years ago and charmed the old dear's a treat. :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

It's no deal. No way the EU just accept May's proposal, at best they'll say more work needed, which may cannot accept even if she wants. There's no time, as you say, for something else after a contest, therefore it's a contest to see if the party will ok no v deal
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Bear in mind that Brexit is far from the only issue that will decide how MPs and members vote. In a leadership contest, they will be electing a prime minister, not writing a manifesto.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

I really hope so, because with TM Brexit does not mean Brexit, her red lines are not red at all, she is a remainer in leave clothing, she has to go, she has betrayed the democratic will of the British people
    This actually makes leave much less likely and TM, to her credit, tried to agree a deal that would have a chance with the EU and the HOC. The end game will now be a Norway style deal or remain
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

What I really fail to grasp is how he was appointed in the first place. The task was so far beyond his, admittedly modest skill set, it wasn't even funny. Did May really want the negotiation to be executed poorly?

He was supposed to own it, same with Fox and Boris. They’ve all done miserably.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

I think that just about covers it....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Javid backed May's deal which leaver ultras say is a no go. How does he get their support?

No. Corbyn is a hypocrite given his continual trouble with his MPs, but May is toast and no group in the tories looks strong enough to beat the others outright. An attempt to pretend they are one happy family is the farce we've been subjected to for a year and more. If two leaver ultras are in the final the ultra remainers need to go, if a non ultra leaver gets through and wins the ultra leavers need to go, since there's no chance they play nice if they lose.
    Javid has an out, he was promised no preferential treatment for EU citizens by the PM at Chequers, today that's been walked back. He can easily withdraw his support and resign to force a leadership election. If he does he will pick up a lot of support very quickly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

I think it's an absolute certainty that they'll split. They're not only facing in different directions but pulling strongly in different directions.

The hope of government will keep labour in place. They didn't split when they thought a tory landslide was coming, they won't now.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

Tmay has to go. Fuck her and her weird aspergery hand movements. She is a walking disaster. She is (inter alia) a victim of her own autism. All those red lines so soon? What An Idiot.

Elect a Hard Brexit leader. If it is No Deal Brexit we will cope. We have seen worse. We survived the fucking Blitz. Let the nation unite around Harry Kane and rhubarb crumble.
    SeanT goes overnight from backing the Great May Brexit fudge to backing Davis and Mogg full hard Brexit.

SeanT dithered between Remain and Leave before eventually going for Leave.

Leave narrowly won. On Brexit as SeanT goes so goes the nation?
    Sean T for PM? At least there would be no dithering and we could provide the certainty business needs on day 1!!

We have tried the Chamberlain approach - time for Churchill and rhubarb crumble....?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck off to Frankfurt. GO.

Now is the time for all true Brits to unite. This IS WAR.

WARRRRRRRRR

*finished Meursault*
    Unite behind who?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Bear in mind that Brexit is far from the only issue that will decide how MPs and members vote. In a leadership contest, they will be electing a prime minister, not writing a manifesto.
    Absolutely, and most MPs will vote with 2022 in mind. That's why Theresa would lose. She's a proven loser.
  • Options

Good for you. I honestly take no pleasure in seeing your party in such a state. I used to be a mainly Conservative voter myself until I switched to the Lib Dems and I still have a lot of respect for many of the Conservatives on the more liberal wing of the party. If I had to choose for one of the big two parties to implode/self-destruct it wouldn't be the Conservatives.

• Options
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

Tmay has to go. Fuck her and her weird aspergery hand movements. She is a walking disaster. She is (inter alia) a victim of her own autism. All those red lines so soon? What An Idiot.

Elect a Hard Brexit leader. If it is No Deal Brexit we will cope. We have seen worse. We survived the fucking Blitz. Let the nation unite around Harry Kane and rhubarb crumble.
    SeanT goes overnight from backing the Great May Brexit fudge to backing Davis and Mogg full hard Brexit.

SeanT dithered between Remain and Leave before eventually going for Leave.

Leave narrowly won. On Brexit as SeanT goes so goes the nation?
    Sean T for PM? At least there would be no dithering and we could provide the certainty business needs on day 1!!

We have tried the Chamberlain approach - time for Churchill and rhubarb crumble....?
    Chequers was May’s Norway? :p
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,438
    SeanT said:

Fuck off to Frankfurt. GO.

Now is the time for all true Brits to unite. This IS WAR.

WARRRRRRRRR

*finished Meursault*
    I don’t want to go to Frankfurt.

I’m being forced to go because you voted Leave.

I’d much rather work in the UK but I’ve got a family to look after, sovereignty don’t pay the bills.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Was that really called for? It's unworthy of you.

I suppose it’s not fair to hold a former supporter to the same standard as a party member. Apologies.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

This actually makes leave much less likely and TM, to her credit, tried to agree a deal that would have a chance with the EU and the HOC. The end game will now be a Norway style deal or remain
    I'd say no deal or remain.

The Tories are pretty fucked. Corbyn is laughing right now, he just has to watch them destroy any chance of winning the next election. His own inability to formuulate a policy on brexit doesn't even matter.
  • Options

Good for you. I honestly take no pleasure in seeing your party in such a state. I used to be a mainly Conservative voter myself until I switched to the Lib Dems and I still have a lot of respect for many of the Conservatives on the more liberal wing of the party. If I had to choose for one of the big two parties to implode/self-destruct it wouldn't be the Conservatives.

Maybe it was inevitable but if we go full on hard Brexit I will resign
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

At least he didn’t resign late Friday night.
    Which was kind of

RoyalBlue said:

At least he didn’t resign late Friday night.
    Which was kind of him.

That said, the Three Lions thread would still have worked.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May won't resign, she will cling on if she wins a no confidence vote and attempt to hold on until the end of the transition period
    Actually, she will win the Tory PP vote. But therein lies another conundrum also faced by the 172 Labour MPs in 2015. They thought the people will solve the problem with a landslide Tory win. Not only that did not happen, Corbyn was legitimised totally.

What will the 100 or so Tory Brexiters do if she wins the confidence vote ? Certainly the 75 or so "hard" brexiters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories are pretty fucked. Corbyn is laughing right now, he just has to watch them destroy any chance of winning the next election. His own inability to formuulate a policy on brexit doesn't even matter.
    No way, if we proposed any referendum which has remain on the ballot paper we'd be out of powered for a generation or longer. It would be "the deal" vs "No deal" both options would take us out of the EU.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

No way, if we proposed any referendum which has remain on the ballot paper we'd be out of powered for a generation or longer. It would be "the deal" vs "No deal" both options would take us out of the EU.
    If people voted in a landslide for Remain the party would just have to reorientate itself back to being a pro-EU party and it would be fine.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Not if a leaver becomes PM , calls a GE to get a mandate, with the clock ticking we withdraw from negotiations on the grounds of EU being unreasonable, and go WTO , don't pay the EU a penny more than were have to, with a view to negotiating a FTA with the EU after brexit. We voted to leave the EU, that needs to be enacted.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    David Lidington to replace Davis according to Telegraph Brexit bod Asa Bennett.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Parliament has to agree the wording. The Tory party cannot do this on their own.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

If that’s your view, you’d probably be more comfortable in the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Actually, she will win the Tory PP vote. But therein lies another conundrum also faced by the 172 Labour MPs in 2015. They thought the people will solve the problem with a landslide Tory win. Not only that did not happen, Corbyn was legitimised totally.

What will the 100 or so Tory Brexiters do if she wins the confidence vote ? Certainly the 75 or so "hard" brexiters.
    I doubt she would win. She's made too many enemies and she's a proven loser, MPs will take the opportunity to dump her and take their chances with the next leader for 2022.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    May could do something really cruel and give it to Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Javid has an out, he was promised no preferential treatment for EU citizens by the PM at Chequers, today that's been walked back. He can easily withdraw his support and resign to force a leadership election. If he does he will pick up a lot of support very quickly.
    This is probably not true, but it might work. If he is next to resign he has a chance. Otherwise he is finished as a leadership contender.

Poor Javid - his whole career based on seeing which way the wind blows and now there is a tornado!
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018
    houndtang said:

Suella Braverman has quit too so Lidington will need a whole new team.

Davis's letter has something of the Geoffrey Howe about it. It is devastating in its attack on May.
  • Options

May could do something really cruel and give it to Boris Johnson.
    I literally laughed out loud when I read this. LOL.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

But the tories cannot agree on what deal to ask for. There is no deal to be had now -May's gambit has failed. Therefore there is nothing to put to the people. No deal does not have enough support either. So sonething must be given as an alternative. It will be remain.

And yes they probably will be out of power for a generation. Brexit has destroyed it. It held on for a bit, but the sides cannot coexist like this.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

If people voted in a landslide for Remain the party would just have to reorientate itself back to being a pro-EU party and it would be fine.
    No, because no deal would win and we'd be seen as traitors for the rest of time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt she would win. She's made too many enemies and she's a proven loser, MPs will take the opportunity to dump her and take their chances with the next leader for 2022.
    agreed, this would be their last chance to depose her before 2022, they will not want TM running again for the next GE after 2017
  • Options
    houndtang said:

Oh God, she really is suicidal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,438
    houndtang said:

Hoorah for a Sidney old boy.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Who do you think that might be?
    In current circumstances, Gove. I would have said Javid as a strong candidate but I don't think there'll be the trust on Brexit.
  • Options
    "Three of the five Brexit ministers have resigned: David Davis, Steve Baker and Suella Braverman."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/jul/09/david-davis-resigns-as-brexit-secretary-live-updates
  • Options

The resignation letter:

twitter.com/joncstone/status/1016109708304900098

Cheeky, there was no such mandate.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    edited July 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

If that’s your view, you’d probably be more comfortable in the Liberal Democrats.
    Is that the polite Tory way of saying why don't you F___off and join the Tories then?
  • Options

houndtang said:

They don't come much more pro-EU in the Tory party than David Lidington.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    houndtang said:

a remainer
  • Options
    He completely nails the issues and, as I said a bit earlier, the matter of who authorised the NI backstop disaster is going to come front and centre.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

But the tories cannot agree on what deal to ask for. There is no deal to be had now -May's gambit has failed. Therefore there is nothing to put to the people. No deal does not have enough support either. So sonething must be given as an alternative. It will be remain.

And yes they probably will be out of power for a generation. Brexit has destroyed it. It held on for a bit, but the sides cannot coexist like this.
    Nah, you're far too negative on this. We won't split because 20 or so MPs from the 2017 election won't get in line. We might run the clock down on brexit, leave and then go to the public with a new leader.
  • Options

houndtang said:

Hoorah for a Sidney old boy.
    A patsy Remainer who’ll be May’s sock-puppet.

Come on Boris, serve the nation - bring this absurd house of cards crashing down.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

We’ll see how he feels after six months of negotiations :p
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

There's not a majority for no deal Brexit in the Tory parliamentary party, I should think, why is opposing that against party principles ?
  • Options
    houndtang said:

Why doesn't she just promote Anna Soubry and have done with it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Brexit is just an issue. It's a big issue but it's not an existential one; that's what UKIP's for.

Once there has been a contest and a vote, the new leader has the authority of the Party behind him or her and those who don't like it will have much more trouble opposing it than at present. I think the membership will be a lot less understanding of rebels after a clear mandate has been given to a new leader.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RoyalBlue said:

Is that the polite Tory way of saying F___off and join the Tories?
    This Tory would never use that kind of language but I am now in the Grieve, Soubry group propelled there by Boris FO to Airbus
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    So who will replace him? Perhaps, in a radical departure from her previous strategy, May will appoint somebody who is not a clueless drunken old sod. Maybe Gove, the Grima Wormtongue of the cabinet, will be recognised as having the utter lack of principles we need in this terrible situation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

There's not a majority for no deal Brexit in the Tory parliamentary party, I should think, why is opposing that against party principles ?
    There is amongst Tory members and Tory voters
  • Options
    You have to feel sorry for Mrs May, uniting the two wings of the Tory party on Brexit is an almost impossible task.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

GIN1138 said:

Why do it at gone 11pm on a Sunday evening?

Why not wait until the morning when the media are better equipped to cover your flounce?

An even bigger name is resigning in the morning...
    No - if there was and organised plot, Davis would have resigned around 8-9pm, in order to hit the morning papers and the 10pm news slots without giving No 10 much time to respond. Resigning so late is rotten PR tactics. I'd say that he's acting alone, not for the first time.

That said, immense pressure now on Boris, Fox and the rest to follow up. Especially Boris, given what was leaked. Interesting question, mind, as to who leaked it. Boris had nothing to gain from that but nor did May. The natural assumption is that it was a different Brexiteer, possibly one who had his or her eye on the leadership and certainly one who wishes harm on Boris.
    Actually, waiting to resign was a great move. Anything yesterday would have been drowned out by the World Cup and would have played into May's 'taxi' narrative. It would also have looked impulsive. Now he can claim he considered it, asked for clarifications from May and when they were not forthcoming he resigned. They have clear press air Monday and Tuesday and May has to face the 1922 tomorrow. That should be fun.
    I cannot see how she survives, although this does have a feeling of 2008/2009 and the Labour Party trying to get rid of Gordon Brown. Will the Tory Party be more successful at removing an ill suited leader. I’ve long tipped Javid for leader, and if they could manoeuvre him into position they could be alright. First thing needed would be a large number of Civil Servants working out what no deal looks like, which should have been our base negotiating position all along.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

What I really fail to grasp is how he was appointed in the first place. The task was so far beyond his, admittedly modest skill set, it wasn't even funny. Did May really want the negotiation to be executed poorly?

He was supposed to own it, same with Fox and Boris. They’ve all done miserably.
    It was a trap set by May and it worked until now.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

Graham Brady’s inbox is going to be filling up.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

So who will replace him? Perhaps, in a radical departure from her previous strategy, May will appoint somebody who is not a clueless drunken old sod. Maybe Gove, the Grima Wormtongue of the cabinet, will be recognised as having the utter lack of principles we need in this terrible situation.

No, she needs a patsy who doesn't mind being undermined by Remainer Robbins.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Nah, you're far too negative on this. We won't split because 20 or so MPs from the 2017 election won't get in line. We might run the clock down on brexit, leave and then go to the public with a new leader.
    They might not split. But they should. And it's more than 20. What if someone who backs the deal wins? Then you've got 60 plus who won't get in line. It's become a joke. The party needs to decide what it's stance is already.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

The nation voted to leave. If we can’t get an acceptable deal, we should leave without one. The Tory MPs who don’t accept that are the ones going against party principles.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Big_G would certainly be very welcome and valued in the Lib Dems if he ever decided to make such a move. I'm not suggesting that it's in his thoughts at all but I'm certainly more comfortable there myself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exactly
  • Options
    Reminder of the latest Brexit poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    11h11 hours ago

UK, Survation poll:

EU membership referendum

Remain: 52% (-1)
    Leave: 48% (+1)

Field work: 7/7/18
    Sample size: 1,007"
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RoyalBlue said:

Is that the polite Tory way of saying why don't you F___off and join the Tories then?
    I think Moggites will soon join Corbynites in telling a lot of their Remainer and Blairite MPs to F off and join the LDs
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

You have to feel sorry for Mrs May, uniting the two wings of the Tory party on Brexit is an almost impossible task.

She shouldn't have taken the job. Nobody even today knows what she actually stands for.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

They might not split. But they should. And it's more than 20. What if someone who backs the deal wins? Then you've got 60 plus who won't get in line. It's become a joke. The party needs to decide what it's stance is already.
    If it gets to the membership then it will be whoever is more sceptic. Both final candidates will use May's insipid deal as a starting point and atrip away or add to it what they want, though.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Brexit is just an issue. It's a big issue but it's not an existential one; that's what UKIP's for.

Once there has been a contest and a vote, the new leader has the authority of the Party behind him or her and those who don't like it will have much more trouble opposing it than at present. I think the membership will be a lot less understanding of rebels after a clear mandate has been given to a new leader.
    Come on David. The majority Brexit-supporting membership won’t be bought off with fine words after this fiasco.

The Brexiteer who gets to the final two will win.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

We’ll see how he feels after six months of negotiations :p
    if she puts a remainer in charge of DExEu she will find 48 letters tomorrow disagreeing
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Curious Davis says it is possible may is right and he is wrong. Why include that phrasing? Seems unnecessary wording given what he is saying.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited July 2018
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

We need to have a bloodletting, it's the only way for the party to move on. Its been far too long since we all had a massive and open fight over the soul/heart of the party. Right now there's too much sniping and bad blood for a unity candidate and coronation, no one will agree on the candidate.
    Which is all fine and dandy for the Tory Party. The country may come to feel that p*ssing about with an internal civil war less than nine months before the country falls over a cliff edge is less than responsible.

And lets not forget: the current status of the deal is no deal and it will remain that way until something is actually agreed.
This discussion has been closed.