Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile Corbyn is back as “next PM” favourite on the Betfair

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile Corbyn is back as “next PM” favourite on the Betfair exchange

Data from Betdata.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    first, like Remain in the #peoplesvote
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    I'm always confused by the arguments that we'll get the same or better deals outside the EU than inside. That trade deals will just "roll over". I live under the assumption that we have the somewhat good trade deals we have because the terms are negotiated in bulk, so we can benefit from other economies strengths and put our own strengths to bolster our EU partners. So our deal with NZ may be based on stuff they want from Italy or Poland, so we get the benefit of their desire for their goods, rather than the fact that they don't need much from us and are in competition with us on goods like lamb. So when I increasingly see people say WTO won't be that bad, or "so and so country" will "roll-over" the deal I don't see why.

Why would Canada treat the UK the same as the EU when our economy is different and they may not get the same benefits of that deal than before? Why would the US? Indeed, the US don't like the terms and want to force the UK to worse terms than when we were in the EU; if our supposed "special relationship" means a worse deal and challenges at the WTO what can we expect from others?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Betting on when Jacob Rees-Mogg grows a pair? If he really does control or influence 60 or 100 ERG members, then 48 letters to the 1922 should be within his well-tailored reach.

Of course, May's successor will probably come from the Remain wing, which might explain his reticence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited August 2018
    Corbyn is actually tied with Boris as favourite next PM.

However May could hold them both off if she pulls off a Deal next year in which case she might survive beyond 2019.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Hammond is the obvious choice for May's replacement. I'm surprised he is mentioned so rarely.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited August 2018
    Could this man be the next President of the United States?
    I have taken 100/1 on Betfair. 80/1 at Skybet.
    I await Roger's verdict.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Betting on when Jacob Rees-Mogg grows a pair? If he really does control or influence 60 or 100 ERG members, then 48 letters to the 1922 should be within his well-tailored reach.

Of course, May's successor will probably come from the Remain wing, which might explain his reticence.

If it gets to the membership and a Leaver is on the ballot, the Leaver will likely win
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Bloody well hope that's wrong.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
  • Options

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
    https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1032017750829531142
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Anazina said:

Hammond is the obvious choice for May's replacement. I'm surprised he is mentioned so rarely.

I think you're going to have to share your working there.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I'm always confused by the arguments that we'll get the same or better deals outside the EU than inside. That trade deals will just "roll over". I live under the assumption that we have the somewhat good trade deals we have because the terms are negotiated in bulk, so we can benefit from other economies strengths and put our own strengths to bolster our EU partners. So our deal with NZ may be based on stuff they want from Italy or Poland, so we get the benefit of their desire for their goods, rather than the fact that they don't need much from us and are in competition with us on goods like lamb. So when I increasingly see people say WTO won't be that bad, or "so and so country" will "roll-over" the deal I don't see why.

Why would Canada treat the UK the same as the EU when our economy is different and they may not get the same benefits of that deal than before? Why would the US? Indeed, the US don't like the terms and want to force the UK to worse terms than when we were in the EU; if our supposed "special relationship" means a worse deal and challenges at the WTO what can we expect from others?

The UK has a bigger economy than Canada or New Zealand and we are a bigger market for them than they are for us so we hold some leeway there. That is not the case with the US though which is a bigger economy than the UK and where they are a bigger market for us than we are for them
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    On topic, Corbyn is only favourite because of the decline in Boris' odds (rightly so, though not far enough). The simultaneous decline in JRM and Javid's odds seem odd - you would think that they both might benefit from Boris messing up his resignation.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn is actually tied with Boris as favourite next PM.

However May could hold them both off if she pulls off a Deal next year in which case she might survive beyond 2019.

The figures are rounded. It is Corbyn 14.2% Johnson 13.7%
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    148grss said:

PB mistake #1 - Reason has no place in Brexit.

As long as we have blue passports and can thumb our nose at Johnny Foreigner then everything will be as it should be even if there is an economic disaster. At least any hardship will be self inflicted and that makes it OK because it is not just self-harm, it is British self-harm, the finest kind in the world....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    FPT
    IanB2 said:

Taking a leaf out of OGH's book, I look at the popularity of Brexit similarly to net leader favourability ratings. If we view the poll similarly to asking us if we had a favourable / unfavourable view of Brexit, then the poll would be at -56 for favourability with Labour voters (ignoring don't knows). Now:

Favourability = f1(Like of Policy) + f2(Like of party doing policy) + f3(Like of how policy being done)

I suspect that LibDebs are strongly negative on f1, Labour and SNP voters are strongly negative on f2 and almost all voters are negative on f3.

What the poll refers to may therefore reflect a real visceral dislike of the Tories and the messy way Brexit is being handled rather than a definite dislike of the policy. There will be some buyer's regret, but we don't really know how much.

No one much is changing their mind. Dying voters are disproportionately Leave, new voters are disproportionately Remain. By and large everyone else is holding to their point of view for now. There are straws in the wind that suggest that some Leavers are having qualms (there was a poll a while back that showed that Brexit pessimists far outweighed Brexit optimists) but few have so far have had Damascene conversions.
    You're probably right that the referendum and its aftermath have solidified views and stopped the trend for people to become more anti as they get older. The gradual shift toward Remain in the polls most likely reflects actuarial wastage of the leave vote.
    Perhaps one of the reasons that Brexit advocates end up driven to extremes is that it becomes progressively clear that every real-world version of Brexit will not give people what they wanted, so to keep alive the fantasy they have to pretend there's always an easier option.

The real moment of truth will come when No Deal is taken off the table by the force of reality. Will people who currently favour it think "I suppose Chequers isn't so bad after all" or will they think "We'd be better off staying in the EU than any of this".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    For Corbyn to be next PM, that means Mrs May survives until the next general election - whenever that may be.
  • Options

I await Roger's verdict.

He will have to beat Ted Cruz first then take on the likes of Warren and Sanders in 2020 and if Trump is re elected Jo P Kennedy in 2024
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

Survation last year had the Tories polling worse under Hammond than under May, Boris or Davis v Corbyn Labour. The Tories even polled better under Rudd than under Hammond.

Hammond would be better than Gove and maybe Hunt, that is about it
  • Options

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
    It's a great answer but it's not one designed to unseat Trump from the GOP nomination.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anazina said:

Because Leavers are - even by their demanding standard - utterly unhinged about him.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    148grss said:

FTAs and WTO terms are two different things. I don't blame you for being confused, our political masters have only the haziest idea of what they're talking about.

In terms of FTAs, there's two ways of looking at it. The EU has economic heft and is thus an attractive counterparty. On the other hand, witness CETA - the Italians don't like the food protection sections and are threatening to veto it. There are 28 (soon to be 27) sets of national interests and country-based lobbies to satisfy, which is why EU FTAs take so freaking long to negotiate.

A bilateral trade deal should be easier to negotiate, but the appetite for bilateral deals is low, because the benefit from FTAs is surprisingly modest.

We have no FTA with the US (just the GATT accords) and run a modest (£5bn) trade surplus. The EU has no FTA with the US and the proposed vehicle, TTIP, is deader than disco.

We have lodged our proposed WTO schedule with that organisation; they will take effect in three months if there are no objections. I don't know if any country has actually lodged a formal objection, though some country trade bodies have certainly made noises in that direction.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,094

I await Roger's verdict.

If he can boot Ted Cruz in Texas that would get the train rolling. Plus it would be fantastic in and of itself.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Anazina said:

Because Leavers are - even by their demanding standard - utterly unhinged about him.
    What an amusing way of stating it, but accurate :D
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    ITSSSSSS A SMEAR....and the news today is all about Alex Salmond and then tomorrow it will be about something else, and the world will move on. Where as nick an offensive gag out the Guardian about burkas and that is a 7 day news story.

Its sad but true, none of this is going to be a blind bit of difference in regards to Jezza. Outside of the Mail and Sun who are pushing this, the rest of the media seem tired / uninterested in really picking it up, Jezza supporters are true believers and the rest the country appear to not to worry too much about it, rather thinking May and Corbyn are both just a bit crap.

If any other politician had made been found to make a similar statement about another minority group they would be finished, immediately.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited August 2018

I await Roger's verdict.

No. Americans are much more nationalistic than Europeans (even than most Brexiteers!). They will not elect a president so comfortable with the disrespect of national symbols.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    148grss said:

The argument (fair or not) is that EU trade deals are tailored to the needs of the EU overall - ("German cars and French wine" to the critics) while a bilateral deal can be more tailored to the UK's and our counter-parties strengths - for example, "UK Services & South African wine" - neither of which get much of a look in when the EU is negotiating for the 28. Whether that turns out to be the case, time will tell. But with Dr Fox leading the charge....
  • Options

Anazina said:

Points in favour of Hammond include:
    1) earlier this week pb'ers were asked to applaud the excellent state of the economy under Hammond
    2) reality will converge on Hammond's Brexit cautions, making him seem a peerless sage
    3) after Brexit, MPs will be looking for a quiet life and safe pair of hands
    4) you can get 66/1 from Betfred
  • Options

I hope he's been paying attention to what's just gone down in Canberra.....
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Anazina said:

Nah. It'll be Boris. The time when UKIP outflanked them on the right still gives the Tories absolute horrors. They never want that to happen again, so only a Farage/Banks-approved candidate will get a look in.
  • Options

Do not be absurd. Australia? Far away from England and full of colonists.....
  • Options

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
    It's a great answer but it's not one designed to unseat Trump from the GOP nomination.
    I presume like most Democrats he probably favours Trump sticking around.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    My big hope is John McDonald :)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
    His delivery is great, he'd probably be v. good on TV which counts for a lot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Survation last year had the Tories polling worse under Hammond than under May, Boris or Davis v Corbyn Labour. The Tories even polled better under Rudd than under Hammond.

Polls, schmols. You yourself banged on endlessly about your hero Boris – supposed saviour of the Tories – as being the only alternative that polled better than May. Then a poll came out a week ago which revealed that he now polled worse than May, and we no longer heard from you about Boris. Things can and do change. Only a fool trusts midterm, hypothetical polling.

Hammond has kept the economy moving despite the best efforts of brexiteers and neobrexiteers like yourself to wreck it. For that, he deserves great credit.
  • Options

148grss said:

As long as we have blue passports and can thumb our nose at Johnny Foreigner then everything will be as it should be even if there is an economic disaster. At least any hardship will be self inflicted and that makes it OK because it is not just self-harm, it is British self-harm, the finest kind in the world....
    Arguing against a caricature of your opponents most extreme argument will get nobody anywhere, cathartic in the short term as it may be.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Yes, his sensible, careful approach conflicts with their determination to push through an extreme version of their wild-eyed scheme whatever the human and economic cost.
  • Options

... Whether that turns out to be the case, time will tell. But with Dr Fox leading the charge....

Is there a name for a charge where the troops never move?
  • Options

148grss said:

The argument (fair or not) is that EU trade deals are tailored to the needs of the EU overall - ("German cars and French wine" to the critics) while a bilateral deal can be more tailored to the UK's and our counter-parties strengths - for example, "UK Services & South African wine" - neither of which get much of a look in when the EU is negotiating for the 28. Whether that turns out to be the case, time will tell. But with Dr Fox leading the charge....
    Yes. The EU and Canada spent seven years making a deal that contained almost nothing on financial services. Maybe we’ll get cheaper maple syrup.
  • Options

Canberra shows why Theresa May still occupies Number 10. There is an unstable equilibrium: any one of half a dozen challengers could end her premiership, as Theresa May would certainly lose a vote of no confidence. But none of her rivals could be certain of winning the subsequent leadership ballot, or even sure their wing of the party would triumph. Always keep tight hold of nurse ...
  • Options

148grss said:

Arguing against a caricature of your opponents most extreme argument will get nobody anywhere, cathartic in the short term as it may be.
    Catharsis is all I want. I have no hope of good outcome for the country.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

FPT

IanB2 said:

Taking a leaf out of OGH's book, I look at the popularity of Brexit similarly to net leader favourability ratings. If we view the poll similarly to asking us if we had a favourable / unfavourable view of Brexit, then the poll would be at -56 for favourability with Labour voters (ignoring don't knows). Now:

Favourability = f1(Like of Policy) + f2(Like of party doing policy) + f3(Like of how policy being done)

I suspect that LibDebs are strongly negative on f1, Labour and SNP voters are strongly negative on f2 and almost all voters are negative on f3.

What the poll refers to may therefore reflect a real visceral dislike of the Tories and the messy way Brexit is being handled rather than a definite dislike of the policy. There will be some buyer's regret, but we don't really know how much.

No one much is changing their mind. Dying voters are disproportionately Leave, new voters are disproportionately Remain. By and large everyone else is holding to their point of view for now. There are straws in the wind that suggest that some Leavers are having qualms (there was a poll a while back that showed that Brexit pessimists far outweighed Brexit optimists) but few have so far have had Damascene conversions.
    You're probably right that the referendum and its aftermath have solidified views and stopped the trend for people to become more anti as they get older. The gradual shift toward Remain in the polls most likely reflects actuarial wastage of the leave vote.
    Perhaps one of the reasons that Brexit advocates end up driven to extremes is that it becomes progressively clear that every real-world version of Brexit will not give people what they wanted, so to keep alive the fantasy they have to pretend there's always an easier option.

The real moment of truth will come when No Deal is taken off the table by the force of reality. Will people who currently favour it think "I suppose Chequers isn't so bad after all" or will they think "We'd be better off staying in the EU than any of this".
    The actuarial trends may be more complex. In 1975, young people were the most EEC-sceptic, voting Yes by about 60/40% instead of 80/20% for older age groups.

So apparently the age group ~61-80 needs to die off. The few left in the 80-100 age group may be more pro-EU than my generation. Does anyone know?
  • Options

Anazina said:

Shared upthread.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

Yes. The EU and Canada spent seven years making a deal that contained almost nothing on financial services. Maybe we’ll get cheaper maple syrup.
    Can you give an example of a trade deal that contains the kind of things on financial services you'd be looking for?
  • Options
    Nothing happens now. Its an elective dictatorship - Jezbollah keeps the job for as long as the Kali Ma want him to.

And why should he quit?
    Most people either don't know about the antisemitism scandals or don't care
    Most people vote on personal self-interest not on high-brow morality, especially when the alternative choice for government is having its own anti-Islam scandal (which most people don't care about...)
    Literally anything could happen politically in the next 12 months, with the prospect of a Labour government with or without a fresh general election very real

So he will stay put.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Polls, schmols. You yourself banged on endlessly about your hero Boris – supposed saviour of the Tories – as being the only alternative that polled better than May. Then a poll came out a week ago which revealed that he now polled worse than May, and we no longer heard from you about Boris. Things can and do change. Only a fool trusts midterm, hypothetical polling.

Hammond has kept the economy moving despite the best efforts of brexiteers and neobrexiteers like yourself to wreck it. For that, he deserves great credit.
    Of the alternatives to May in Parliament Boris still polls best, just most polls show he would not make much difference to what May is polling.

You are exactly the same as Tories in 2015 who argued Liz Kendall was the only way to save Labour at the next general election.

You are a left liberal Remainer so you simply have picked the least Brexity option available.

Most left liberal Remainers would still not vote for a Hammond led Tories just as most Tories would not have voted for a Kendall led Labour Party. The Greens would have benefited most from a Kendall led Labour just as UKIP would benefit most from a Hammond led Tories.
  • Options

If any other politician had made been found to make a similar statement about another minority group they would be finished, immediately.

I had decided that since the Tories were becoming fascism-lite I had no choice but Corbyn, but the recent revelations (or highlighting of past behaviour) has removed that choice too.

There is now no point in voting.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

For Corbyn to be next PM, that means Mrs May survives until the next general election - whenever that may be.

These odds look distinctly odd.

i) I doubt May will try to soldier on to 2022 - I reckon 2019 will be her last Conference, announcing standing down then, giving her successor 2 years to bed in.
    ii) I doubt Boris will get past the MPs to make it on to the final list.
    iii) Ditto squared for JRM the Dutton de nos rives.....
  • Options

... Whether that turns out to be the case, time will tell. But with Dr Fox leading the charge....

Bound to be, the military have a euphemism for every eventuality.
    Offensive consolidation?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

Can you give an example of a trade deal that contains the kind of things on financial services you'd be looking for?
    Yes, I was blinking a bit at that. FTAs are overwhelmingly, tediously about widgets, widget content, widget standards, quotas and mutual recognition of qualifications and certifications. I suppose there's some elements of insurance and liability which would fall under the umbrella of services.

The UK is a service economy par excellence which is probably the reason that Liam Fox as trade minister doesn't keep me awake at night.

As a public service, here's just one document from the TPP. Read it if you're tired of living and seek the sweet peace of oblivion:

https://dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/not-yet-in-force/tpp-11/official-documents/Documents/ch2-national-treatment-and-market-access-for-goods.pdf
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998

Basra.
  • Options
    Anazina is Bobajob, minus one letter.

B>A
    o>n
    b>a
    a>z
    j>i
    o>n
    b>a

That's some coincidence.
  • Options

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
    He would be seeking the Dem nomination not the GOP nomination
  • Options

Do not be absurd. Australia? Far away from England and full of colonists.....
    A Conservative Party riven with infighting and right-wingers plotting to bring down the PM, who then shafts their candidate and has his preferred candidate installed.

Nothing to learn there.

Perhaps if they weren't called 'Liberals' some might make the connection....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

B>A
    o>n
    b>a
    a>z
    j>i
    o>n
    b>a

That's some coincidence.

It's always quite clear Anazina/Jobabob was the last Boy scout, but never spotted that hidden in plain sight letter transposition !
  • Options
    Here's a bit more basic background on Beto O'Rourke, for those interested. Beating Cruz would be hugely symbolic, though he might still run for President even if he didn't (he is currently in the House).
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/beto-orourke-is-quickly-becoming-a-national-figure-for-democrats-2018-8?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Of the alternatives to May in Parliament Boris still polls best, just most polls show he would not make much difference to what May is polling.

You are exactly the same as Tories in 2015 who argued Liz Kendall was the only way to save Labour at the next general election.

You are a left liberal Remainer so you simply have picked the least Brexity option available.

Most left liberal Remainers would still not vote for a Hammond led Tories just as most Tories would not have voted for a Kendall led Labour Party. The Greens would have benefited most from a Kendall led Labour just as UKIP would benefit most from a Hammond led Tories.
    A ludicrous pivot padded out by irrelevancies. The fact is that you endlessly parroted polling that showed Boris ahead of May until, well, he was behind May. Oh.
  • Options

I had decided that since the Tories were becoming fascism-lite I had no choice but Corbyn, but the recent revelations (or highlighting of past behaviour) has removed that choice too.

Given the huge ideological differences from the Greens to Corbyn Labour to the LDs to the Tories to UKIP talk of lack of choice is really old hat
  • Options

148grss said:

Arguing against a caricature of your opponents most extreme argument will get nobody anywhere
    Its what some Remain supporters have been doing for over 2 years....and they wonder why so few, if any, are changing their minds....
  • Options

Anazina said:

1) earlier this week pb'ers were asked to applaud the excellent state of the economy under Hammond
    2) reality will converge on Hammond's Brexit cautions, making him seem a peerless sage
    He's also incredibly dull, has as bad a tin ear for politics as Theresa May and is an unreconciled Remainer within a party for whom support for Brexit remains a sine qua non.

66/1 is about right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

B>A
    o>n
    b>a
    a>z
    j>i
    o>n
    b>a

That's some coincidence.

It's always quite clear Anazina/Jobabob was the last Boy scout, but never spotted that hidden in plain sight letter transposition !
    Trop facile!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I await Roger's verdict.

Who is he?
    He would be seeking the Dem nomination not the GOP nomination
    Yes, sorry - confused editing on my part. I should have just said 'unseat Trump'.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Anazina said:

He's also incredibly dull, has as bad a tin ear for politics as Theresa May and is an unreconciled Remainer within a party for whom support for Brexit remains a sine qua non.

66/1 is about right.
    I am just green on Hammond. I very much doubt I will be topping up further.
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    It is highly possible that it will be the economy, stupid, soon enough. Jingoistic nationalism has a relatively short lifespan, as a rule.
  • Options
    John_M said:

148grss said:

the benefit from FTAs is surprisingly modest.
    This has been one of the more tiresome parts of the Brexit debate - the exaggeration of the importance of FTAs when often other 'barriers' are much more important. One businessman was asked what the greatest barrier to trade he encountered - he replied 'language'...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

One example close to me is Dubai International Financial Centre, a Financial free zone operating under British law and containing both local companies and branch offices of British firms. Something like 80% of the Gulf’s financial transactions go through DIFC, generating billions of dollars of revenue for UK companies.

That particular model won’t work everywhere, but it’s the sort of outside-the-box thinking we should be looking to emulate elsewhere, especially in countries with under-developed services and legal industries but that have goods or commodities that we would find useful.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Chancellors (and governments) frequently get too much credit and too much blame. Hammond has done a good job in continuing the deficit reduction while loosening the purse-strings a little. However, I can't think of much he's actively done to 'keep the economy going' since Brexit. Avoiding unforced economic (rather than political) mistakes is the main one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Given the huge ideological differences from the Greens to Corbyn Labour to the LDs to the Tories to UKIP talk of lack of choice is really old hat
    Says the Tory party's PB spokesman ...

The Greens are too far left for me, Corbyn's Labour is not something I want to be associated with nor is your bunch any better with their quotient of rabid nationalists. UKIP I regard as little more than disorganised Nazis. Most of the smaller right-wing parties I regard as one step from being the KKK

The Lib Dems.... :D:D:D

I want a return to the days when the Tories were the sensible economic safe hands and Labour offered half sensible social reforms.
  • Options

Anazina said:

has as bad a tin ear for politics as Theresa May
    Possibly worse - look at yesterday's letter which contained nothing new and could just as easily have been released late Friday to disappear under the Bank Holiday.....
  • Options
    edited August 2018

John_M said:

148grss said:

the benefit from FTAs is surprisingly modest.
    This has been one of the more tiresome parts of the Brexit debate - the exaggeration of the importance of FTAs when often other 'barriers' are much more important. One businessman was asked what the greatest barrier to trade he encountered - he replied 'language'...
    As a former International jet-setting man of mystery, let me toss in 'distance' as well. It's not as important once a deal is done, but fml, setting up a deal outside Europe/US is knackering if you're in a multi-year sales cycle.
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    See point 3. Incredible dullness may seem a virtue after the fireworks of Brexit over the last few years. Hammond could be 2019's John Major.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Basra.
    How did that one work out?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    It is highly possible that it will be the economy, stupid, soon enough. Jingoistic nationalism has a relatively short lifespan, as a rule.
    I disagree, but even if I accepted your point, that only deals with one of the three objections against him.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,301
    Dura_Ace said:

Basra.
    naughty.
  • Options

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Avoiding unforced economic (rather than political) mistakes is the main one.
    That's a vanishingly rare quality in and of itself in modern politics, alas.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

B>A
    o>n
    b>a
    a>z
    j>i
    o>n
    b>a

That's some coincidence.

"P.S. I assume you refer to Plato's teaching that only a small proportion of human beings are engaged by reasoned discourse, but that the multitude are attracted by the telling of stories. " from Abnoabzaijnoab yesterday was what got me thinking.

That was obviously written by somebody pretending not to know who Plato the poster was.
  • Options

FPT

IanB2 said:

I suspect that LibDebs are strongly negative on f1,.

The actuarial trends may be more complex. In 1975, young people were the most EEC-sceptic, voting Yes by about 60/40% instead of 80/20% for older age groups.

So apparently the age group ~61-80 needs to die off. The few left in the 80-100 age group may be more pro-EU than my generation. Does anyone know?
    There is also the possibility of people changing their minds! The swings in polls over the EU have swung about a lot, with peak euroscepticism early eighties and peak europhilia late eighties.

One question is whether the historic pattern of people becoming more Conservative with age continues, and it may be different for Generation Rent and Generation Student Debt. I also think that it may well be not be as true for social and cultural issues as for economic ones.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

The UK has a bigger economy than Canada or New Zealand and we are a bigger market for them than they are for us so we hold some leeway there. That is not the case with the US though which is a bigger economy than the UK and where they are a bigger market for us than we are for them
    But does size matter? I'm a veggie, so the guy wanting my money who offers huge steaks will still lose to the salad man. If smaller economies don't want or need what we offer then might they not have the upper hand? Again, I don't really pretend to understand trade, but from a lay view I can at least understand why collective bargaining would mean a "better deal" and why leaving that would leave others not inclined to just give us the same as what we had before. And that's before politics gets involved; like ex-colonies wanting to prove further independence from us...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

These odds look distinctly odd.

i) I doubt May will try to soldier on to 2022 - I reckon 2019 will be her last Conference, announcing standing down then, giving her successor 2 years to bed in.
    ii) I doubt Boris will get past the MPs to make it on to the final list.
    iii) Ditto squared for JRM the Dutton de nos rives.....
    Yes, the markets for next PM, date of PM’s resignation and next election are all very intertwined.

The circumstances under which Corbyn becomes PM without an election are very far fetched, involving the DUP or a number of Tory MPs crossing the floor to support JC following a VoNC in the government.

If the PM resigns for any reason she’ll be replaced by a Conservative.

Agree with all three of your points. I guess lay the favourite still holds for this market.
  • Options
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

But does size matter? I'm a veggie, so the guy wanting my money who offers huge steaks will still lose to the salad man. If smaller economies don't want or need what we offer then might they not have the upper hand? Again, I don't really pretend to understand trade, but from a lay view I can at least understand why collective bargaining would mean a "better deal" and why leaving that would leave others not inclined to just give us the same as what we had before. And that's before politics gets involved; like ex-colonies wanting to prove further independence from us...
    Good point on steaks vs salad. How much do we want Australian minerals and coal? And do we want to under cut our own farmers with NZ Lamb?

I believe Iron ore is zero rated, and the NZ Lamb Tarriff free quota underused as it is btw.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    John_M said:

148grss said:

I'm always confused by the arguments that we'll get the same or better deals outside the EU than

FTAs and WTO terms are two different things. I don't blame you for being confused, our political masters have only the haziest idea of what they're talking about.

In terms of FTAs, there's two ways of looking at it. The EU has economic heft and is thus an attractive counterparty. On the other hand, witness CETA - the Italians don't like the food protection sections and are threatening to veto it. There are 28 (soon to be 27) sets of national interests and country-based lobbies to satisfy, which is why EU FTAs take so freaking long to negotiate.

A bilateral trade deal should be easier to negotiate, but the appetite for bilateral deals is low, because the benefit from FTAs is surprisingly modest.

We have no FTA with the US (just the GATT accords) and run a modest (£5bn) trade surplus. The EU has no FTA with the US and the proposed vehicle, TTIP, is deader than disco.

We have lodged our proposed WTO schedule with that organisation; they will take effect in three months if there are no objections. I don't know if any country has actually lodged a formal objection, though some country trade bodies have certainly made noises in that direction.
    You can only lodge an objection at the WTO for damage caused to trade. You can not lodge a complaint based on this may damage trade in the future. So the tariff schedule will stand. However the split of the TRQ's between the EU and the UK based on the proposed schedules is a different matter. For the countries that currently enjoy the TRQ's, they will have to agree to grandfather the current deal the UK gets via the EU agreements, to have the percentage of the TRQ with the UK, if they do not there is no basis for a TRQ with the UK and so they will go legal against the EU saying that the EU must accept all of the TRQ on its own, less the UK.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Of the alternatives to May in Parliament B benefit most from a Hammond led Tories.
    A ludicrous pivot padded out by irrelevancies. The fact is that you endlessly parroted polling that showed Boris ahead of May until, well, he was behind May. Oh.
    Nope, an entirely accurate and correct comment.

You are a Left Liberal Remainer for Hammond in a similar way to Tories for Kendall. In terms of actual voting intention head to heads Boris still is the only Tory candidate to have surpassed May in terms of the Tory performance against Corbyn Labour (the ICM poll was just a more likely to win under question).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

B>A
    o>n
    b>a
    a>z
    j>i
    o>n
    b>a

That's some coincidence.

"P.S. I assume you refer to Plato's teaching that only a small proportion of human beings are engaged by reasoned discourse, but that the multitude are attracted by the telling of stories. " from Abnoabzaijnoab yesterday was what got me thinking.

That was obviously written by somebody pretending not to know who Plato the poster was.
    The old alternate letter name trick...
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    See point 3. Incredible dullness may seem a virtue after the fireworks of Brexit over the last few years. Hammond could be 2019's John Major.
    Major also had a human touch and a sense of humour. I've not seen either with Hammond.

In as far as there could well be a swing against overt ideology, I tend to agree. However, that's not the same as individual dullness.

I'd also mention his age. Hammond is 62 now and would be 66 at the next GE, if in 2022. While that's not a bar - he's several years younger than Corbyn - nor is it a factor that's on his side. As it is, he's the oldest Chancellor since Macmillan and, if he's still there shortly into next year, would become the oldest since 1940.
  • Options
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

The only honest answer is...'it depends'.

We can look at the Single Market (in goods) as an almost Platonic ideal of a Free Trade Area. It's geographically compact, there are no NTBs and so forth. Look at the performance of the economies in the Single Market since its foundation. They vary widely, which indicates that free trade isn't the sine qua non of economic success.
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    I have Hammond covered, but think it unlikely, though not 66/1.
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    Major also had a human touch and a sense of humour. I've not seen either with Hammond.

In as far as there could well be a swing against overt ideology, I tend to agree. However, that's not the same as individual dullness.

I'd also mention his age. Hammond is 62 now and would be 66 at the next GE, if in 2022. While that's not a bar - he's several years younger than Corbyn - nor is it a factor that's on his side. As it is, he's the oldest Chancellor since Macmillan and, if he's still there shortly into next year, would become the oldest since 1940.
    In fairness, I wasn’t aware he was of such advanced years. He doesn’t look it.
  • Options

148grss said:

Arguing against a caricature of your opponents most extreme argument will get nobody anywhere
    Its what some Remain supporters have been doing for over 2 years....and they wonder why so few, if any, are changing their minds....
    Those who are incandescent over the referendum result have been given a glimpse into the world of the poorest in society in a way no social experiment could have achieved. The pressure that a lack of control brings was given an outlet for the latter by the referendum. "Wow this a small taste of how people less fortunate than me have felt for decades" rather than "I want my old life back, racist thicko's" might be a better way to look at things perhaps.

Try to be empathetic, see the best in people rather than assume base motives. Think about the Room 101 chapter in 1984. Winston loves Julia, she is the one chink of light in his life, but when trapped with his worst fears, he behaves as he thought he never could. No one wants to betray a loved one, but can we all say we wouldn't crack in a nightmarish situation? If their lives were free from the rats in the cage - extreme money worries, job stability, access to hospital places, reliance on the state and so on, people may not have been attracted to a campaign considered so distasteful
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    Foxy said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

There is also the possibility of people changing their minds! The swings in polls over the EU have swung about a lot, with peak euroscepticism early eighties and peak europhilia late eighties.

One question is whether the historic pattern of people becoming more Conservative with age continues, and it may be different for Generation Rent and Generation Student Debt. I also think that it may well be not be as true for social and cultural issues as for economic ones.
    Polls for and against EU membership have swung around wildly over the years.

But, at a basic level, British Social Attitudes have shown an inexorable rise in Euroscepticism over the course of the last 25 years.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jeremy Corbyn’s chances rest mainly on Theresa May fighting the next election. That doesn’t seem all that promising a bet to me. Even her allies are hinting that she is preparing her exit after Brexit.

I have a hunch that the winning candidate does not feature on the chart.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

B>A
    o>n
    b>a
    a>z
    j>i
    o>n
    b>a

That's some coincidence.

The old alternate letter name trick...
    Just so, Enwx.
    (can't be arsed doing Theuniondivvie)
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.
    It's unlikely the Conservatives would want someone even less charismatic than Theresa May.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

But, at a basic level, British Social Attitudes have shown an inexorable rise in Euroscepticism over the course of the last 25 years.
    In the UK generally or Greater England specifically?
  • Options

Anazina said:

66/1 is about right.

In Theresa's notoriously disastrous conference speech* a year ago, I think that Hammonds kind act and gentle humour came out when he passed her a cough sweet. The act was more remarkeable for it coming from someone she had been briefing against.

* What can she do to top it this year?
  • Options

FPT

IanB2 said:

I expect that people aged 81-100 just became very disillusioned with the EU, and voted accordingly in 2016
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

In the UK generally or Greater England specifically?
    Wales voted Leave too as did a majority of Northern Irish Protestants
  • Options

148grss said:

Those who are incandescent over the referendum result have been given a glimpse into the world of the poorest in society in a way no social experiment could have achieved. The pressure that a lack of control brings was given an outlet for the latter by the referendum. "Wow this a small taste of how people less fortunate than me have felt for decades" rather than "I want my old life back, racist thicko's" might be a better way to look at things perhaps.

Try to be empathetic, see the best in people rather than assume base motives. Think about the Room 101 chapter in 1984. Winston loves Julia, she is the one chink of light in his life, but when trapped with his worst fears, he behaves as he thought he never could. No one wants to betray a loved one, but can we all say we wouldn't crack in a nightmarish situation? If their lives were free from the rats in the cage - extreme money worries, job stability, access to hospital places, reliance on the state and so on, people may not have been attracted to a campaign considered so distasteful
    Very good posts today, Mr Russell.
This discussion has been closed.