Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Five Questions

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Five Questions

So, I started doing these videos a couple of months ago, and some of them have been very successful. And others are about the Italian economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First? :o

And you look a bit different, Robert. :D
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2018
    FPT:
    Scott_P said:
    Again showing that you need to have the Corbynites AND the ultra-Remainers against you (as Field and Hoey did) in order to be ousted. Just having one faction against you isn't enough.

Stringer is a bit more lefty than the other two, and has been pretty neutral about Corbyn's leadership (publicly at least), so I'd imagine that kept the revolt from the hardcore Corbynites down.
  • Options
    And is it not suspicious that this thread arrived minutes after TSE confirmed his
    culinary selection for tonight? Talk about good time to bury bad news..... :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

And is it not suspicious that this thread arrived minutes after TSE confirmed his
    culinary selection for tonight? Talk about good time to bury bad news..... :p

One of the many perks of the job.
  • Options
    No more shorts in these videos.

Unless you’re a short seller.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FPT:
    John_M said:

John_M said:

For those looking to take fantasy revenge on the pesky { Remainers | Brexiteers } while learning more about nuclear weapons through history, may I recommend:

Are you indulging in Backus-Naur formats? Context-free grammars should be perfect for PB / Brexit :D:D
    I cannot tell a lie. I still have Jeffrey Fiedl's 'Mastering Regular Expressions' in my bookshelf (required reading for anyone who wishes to properly torture one's posterity when writing Perl ;)).
    Regexes are the spawn of the devil, but they are so, so, so useful

Arghh!!!
  • Options
    I am not idea who is bloke on the t'interweb is, but he seems very good...
  • Options

twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1037677252849360898

About that UKIP recovery...
  • Options
    To think the Kippers used to get upset when I said UKIP was flirting with Fascism and outright racism.

UKIP are the BNP in blazers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

To think the Kippers used to get upset when I said UKIP was flirting with Fascism and outright racism.

So much for UKIP being BNP for pussies......
  • Options

So much for UKIP being BNP for pussies......
    I said it was the other way around.

BNP is UKIP for pussies.
  • Options
    Kremlin accuses Britain of doctoring CCTV in latest far-fetched Novichok denial

The Kremlin claimed the timestamps in these photographs had been overlaid as they showed the same time - 16:22:43 - but they were taken at two different gates

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/06/russia-accuses-britain-dirty-tricks-gatwick-images-showing-novichok/

Tin-foil hat time...
  • Options
    Nice cat.
  • Options
    As Labour have tacked hard left, UKIP has tacked hard right. They'll meet round the back somewhere.

Meanwhile, Tories and LibDems slug it out over the centre ground. Except, the LibDems won't fight because they are mostly pacifists.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    Mike Pence denies he wrote 'gutless' anonymous editorial

The theory that Mr Pence wrote the article largely stems from the use of the word "lodestar", a term meaning "star that leads or guides" and one which the vice-president has frequently used.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45436243
  • Options
    Isn't sacrificing your supporters a rather Stalinist trait?

"How many millions shall we sacrifice, oh Lord?"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Very good Robert, something a little different and a brilliant answer to question 4 in particular.

Add a light reflector to your equipment for videos in sunny gardens. ;)
  • Options
    Video -- loved the cat; hated the lighting; not sure about the way it was framed. It is a shame Roger is not around for a professional verdict.

Lightboards seem to be in vogue for Youtube videos now, which allow speakers to write on a glass screen between them and the viewer (and tbh I'm not sure how it is done but suspect mirrors or software inversion must be involved).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

As Labour have tacked hard left, UKIP has tacked hard right. They'll meet round the back somewhere.

Meanwhile, Tories and LibDems slug it out over the centre ground. Except, the LibDems won't fight because they are mostly pacifists.

What was hard left about the 2017 manifesto?

• Options
    Just got back from the Nigel Farage event in Sydney. Highly entertaining as you might expect; Australians are not used to either Conservative politicians or politicians that actually express an opinion on anything so it was much enjoyed by everyone. Farage promised to be back on the bus soon when he get back to the UK campaigning for Leave Means Leave.

One anecdote I had not heard before concerned the day after the referendum when the EU Parliament had an emergency debate on Brexit and Farage came into the chamber and was hugged by Junker (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-36648873/brexit-farage-and-juncker-s-close-encounter-in-brussels). According to Farage at least, what Junker was whispering to him in this photo was 'You Bastard'.
  • Options

The theory that Mr Pence wrote the article largely stems from the use of the word "lodestar", a term meaning "star that leads or guides" and one which the vice-president has frequently used.

Of course he does - but he's probably telling the truth.

The article claims that there's already been talk at cabinet-member level of invoking the 25th. If Pence believed not only that Trump was unfit to serve but that his removal from office was an urgent requirement, he'd be ideally placed to canvass opinion among cabinet members as to whether they could trigger the process. Even if someone broke ranks and went to Trump, Trump cannot fire Pence. On the other hand, if talking were already at that level, then a clear lead from the VP that it needed to happen could well swing opinion.

The question then would be who would Congress back? Trump or Pence? If Pence were not sure of that question, that could provide incentive to write the article, undermine Trump and shift opinion, but not yet to initiate removal proceedings.

However, I don't believe it. Firstly, the timing is off. There's no good incentive to do it now, so close to the mid-terms. And secondly, whoever wrote that article is taking a massive personal risk because they may be outed as the author. Were it Pence, then if it became public that it were him, he'd lose all authority to *then* assent to enacting the 25th having not done so beforehand when he could have; he'd have to resign. So either he doesn't agree with the analysis, or if he does, he's better staying quiet until he's confident that any move against Trump will succeed.

As an aside, if Pence were forced to resign and Trump were then also forced out, then the Speaker of the House becomes President. Note that Paul Ryan is not contesting re-election in November.

Note also that the health clauses of the 25th amendment operate on the assumption that there *is* a vice-president; if Pence were forced to resign, Trump is under no compulsion to nominate a new VP, or to nominate someone acceptable to Congress.
  • Options

Just got back from the Nigel Farage event in Sydney. Highly entertaining as you might expect; Australians are not used to either Conservative politicians or politicians that actually express an opinion on anything so it was much enjoyed by everyone. Farage promised to be back on the bus soon when he get back to the UK campaigning for Leave Means Leave.

One anecdote I had not heard before concerned the day after the referendum when the EU Parliament had an emergency debate on Brexit and Farage came into the chamber and was hugged by Junker (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-36648873/brexit-farage-and-juncker-s-close-encounter-in-brussels). According to Farage at least, what Junker was whispering to him in this photo was 'You Bastard'.

Sounds fun! Did he get a good audience, big theatre? Were the audience mainly Brits or Aussies?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not sure you’d get a pair of those in the Soviet Union.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2018
    It's all happening in the Senate. Booker could be kicked out over this. One-upping Harris, coincidentally.
    https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1037700264805859329
  • Options

So there's nothing hard left about the Shadow Chancellor brandishing his copy of Mao's Little Red Book in the Chamber?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

It's all happening in the Senate. Booker could be kicked out over this. One-upping Harris, coincidentally.

I think it's fair to say that Booker is running for President.
  • Options
    JohnRussellJohnRussell Posts: 297
    edited September 2018

So there's nothing hard left about the Shadow Chancellor brandishing his copy of Mao's Little Red Book in the Chamber?
    Would Corbyn et al really argue with an acuusation that they were hard left? I thought they wore it as a badge of honour rather than saw it as a pejorative term
  • Options

Of course he does - but he's probably telling the truth.

The article claims that there's already been talk at cabinet-member level of invoking the 25th. If Pence believed not only that Trump was unfit to serve but that his removal from office was an urgent requirement, he'd be ideally placed to canvass opinion among cabinet members as to whether they could trigger the process. Even if someone broke ranks and went to Trump, Trump cannot fire Pence. On the other hand, if talking were already at that level, then a clear lead from the VP that it needed to happen could well swing opinion.

The question then would be who would Congress back? Trump or Pence? If Pence were not sure of that question, that could provide incentive to write the article, undermine Trump and shift opinion, but not yet to initiate removal proceedings.

However, I don't believe it. Firstly, the timing is off. There's no good incentive to do it now, so close to the mid-terms. And secondly, whoever wrote that article is taking a massive personal risk because they may be outed as the author. Were it Pence, then if it became public that it were him, he'd lose all authority to *then* assent to enacting the 25th having not done so beforehand when he could have; he'd have to resign. So either he doesn't agree with the analysis, or if he does, he's better staying quiet until he's confident that any move against Trump will succeed.

As an aside, if Pence were forced to resign and Trump were then also forced out, then the Speaker of the House becomes President. Note that Paul Ryan is not contesting re-election in November.

Note also that the health clauses of the 25th amendment operate on the assumption that there *is* a vice-president; if Pence were forced to resign, Trump is under no compulsion to nominate a new VP, or to nominate someone acceptable to Congress.
    Please, please, please nominate Ivanka. Then resign in favour of the first Jewish woman president.

And let everyone's head explode: Democrat because it shoots their fox; Republican because she's not one of them; alt-right and Trump base, because she's really a Democrat. Oh, and Jeremy Corbyn's, just because.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. JohnL, I agree entirely. I may have a tiny sum at daft odds on Ivanka succeeding Trump.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

AFAICS, Mr Cameron was bang on with his description of UKIP as "...fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists"

Perhaps due to entryism adding to the Tories' lunatic fringe, the description might apply a bit more widely than UKIP :o
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The 33s widely available should be gone by this time tomorrow. Probably more like 16s.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sounds fun! Did he get a good audience, big theatre? Were the audience mainly Brits or Aussies?
    I would say about one thousand but hard to tell. Mostly Australians. Very pro Trump audience as well which is a surprise over here. Interesting points made by Farage and students in the audience about the endless left wing propaganda being taught as fact in college and how hard it is to express conservative views - in particular how this means that the left can't articulate their arguments because they usually don't have to justify their beliefs. Overall Farage looked fired up and ready to get back into politics again.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    edited September 2018

AFAICS, Mr Cameron was bang on with his description of UKIP as "...fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists"

Perhaps due to entryism adding to the Tories' lunatic fringe, the description might apply a bit more widely than UKIP :o
    FWIW Farage got asked tonight about 'working class hero' Robinson. His response was that Robinson was very badly treated by the authorities, but you cannot ignore his record for ending up in jail and that he cannot expect to convince people if he keeps breaking the law. He disagreed with his actions in relation to reporting the Court case and said he got it wrong.

Obviously Farage does not have much formal role in UKIP any more.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The 33s widely available should be gone by this time tomorrow. Probably more like 16s.
    25/1 with Paddy Power to be Democrat nominee might be a safer bet and will pay out a bit earlier (or not at all).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It was not cancelled. They just moved the venue. They have done that a lot on this tour. Whether this is due to security or ticket sales I cannot say. Event is very expensive (A$90 minimum) but was very well attended tonight - the room they used was full.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I would say about one thousand but hard to tell. Mostly Australians. Very pro Trump audience as well which is a surprise over here. Interesting points made by Farage and students in the audience about the endless left wing propaganda being taught as fact in college and how hard it is to express conservative views - in particular how this means that the left can't articulate their arguments because they usually don't have to justify their beliefs. Overall Farage looked fired up and ready to get back into politics again.
    Well, he needs the money. Goood to see some suckers are willing to shell out for him.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

25/1 with Paddy Power to be Democrat nominee might be a safer bet and will pay out a bit earlier (or not at all).
    Yup, that's a better bet.
  • Options

FWIW Farage got asked tonight about 'working class hero' Robinson. His response was that Robinson was very badly treated by the authorities, but you cannot ignore his record for ending up in jail and that he cannot expect to convince people if he keeps breaking the law. He disagreed with his actions in relation to reporting the Court case and said he got it wrong.

Farage worked hard to keep EDL-types away from UKIP when he was leader.

This the meeting?
    https://twitter.com/BillPounder/status/1037643076582367233/photo/2
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

rcs1000 said:

Yup, that's a better bet.
    All £1.25 of it.
  • Options

Is that a permanent kicking out?
  • Options

It makes sense. The hard-Right on both sides of the Atlantic love their Tommy, so UKIP could get some much needed approbation by having him as their mascot. (Yes, they had Farage, but I imagine he was rather too camp for many a Kipper, preferring as they do sinewy forearms, spheroid biceps and trunk-like thighs...)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farage worked hard to keep EDL-types away from UKIP when he was leader.

This the meeting?
    https://twitter.com/BillPounder/status/1037643076582367233/photo/2
    Looks like an annoyingly shaped venue
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Sandpit said:

Well, he needs the money. Goood to see some suckers are willing to shell out for him.
    I wonder if he turned up as a Pearly King to remind everyone of the "real" England?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Time to bring out this quote from Albert Camus, who had the measure of Corbynistas.

"Mistaken ideas always end in bloodshed but in every case it is someone else's blood . That is why some of our thinkers feel free to say just about anything."
  • Options

That's how I've read it on Twitter, though not seen anything definitive.
  • Options
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Scott_P said:
    It was not cancelled. They just moved the venue. They have done that a lot on this tour. Whether this is due to security or ticket sales I cannot say. Event is very expensive (A$90 minimum) but was very well attended tonight - the room they used was full.
    Enormous opportunity for increasing average Australian IQ missed, I fear.
  • Options

Just got back from the Nigel Farage event in Sydney.

That's odd - there are reports it was cancelled.

Edit - it was moved to a smaller venue:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/nigel-farage-sydney-tour-date-cancelled-1-5683923
  • Options

It makes sense. The hard-Right on both sides of the Atlantic love their Tommy, so UKIP could get some much needed approbation by having him as their mascot. (Yes, they had Farage, but I imagine he was rather too camp for many a Kipper, preferring as they do sinewy forearms, spheroid biceps and trunk-like thighs...)
    I always preferred the phrase "BNP in tweed", or possibly "The Parochial BNP"
  • Options
    A touch of the Finbar Saunders about this tweet from OJ?

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1037630818431188995
  • Options

I always preferred the phrase "BNP in tweed", or possibly "The Parochial BNP"
    That said, I am not sure many are too worried about being called out as fascists, they already know they are, in the same way Corbyn and his fawning brethren know they are anti-Semites. They froth with faux outrage when accused, but underneath they see it as an epithet they don't want to publically wear, but are quite happy to suffer on behalf of the Great Cause. Zeig Heil Comrade
  • Options

Socialism and anti-semitism. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

yes, extremists do seem unusually preoccupied with phallic symbols, or am I getting mixed up with their fallacies?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

All they need to do is mix in a nice bit of nationalism to complete the cocktail. SNP alliance perhaps?
  • Options
    I’m guessing those asterisks were implying sarcasm?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Cyclefree said:

I don’t understand why opinion writers who consistently fail to surprise continue to be employed. Is there a class of reader who likes reading the same reheated opinion time and time again? I assume so, but looking at circulation, it doesn’t seem to be a market that people will pay for.
  • Options
    Sounds pretty authentic as it states that "Now he's working out how to get HIMSELF out of the mess". He's not bothered about the country, just himself.
  • Options
    matt said:

I don’t understand why opinion writers who consistently fail to surprise continue to be employed. Is there a class of reader who likes reading the same reheated opinion time and time again? I assume so, but looking at circulation, it doesn’t seem to be a market that people will pay for.

Dan Hodges has cornered this market.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Colonel Saunders has been told that other chicken vendors say KFC is the best!

The only thing I remember from History GCSE is to check the source for bias, you are like a case study!
  • Options

Sounds pretty authentic as it states that "Now he's working out how to get HIMSELF out of the mess". He's not bothered about the country, just himself.
    Matt Kelly been talking to Cameron eh?
  • Options

Matt Kelly been talking to Cameron eh?
    Good call. Quite likely.
  • Options
    matt said:

Cyclefree said:

"Is there a class of reader who likes reading the same reheated opinion time and time again?"

Surely everyone on here is typing "I'm Spartacus!"?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I wonder how the Brexiters are going to try and spin this bit of news? Where is "Alanbrooke" (aka Comical Ali) when you need him for entertainment?
  • Options

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

"Is there a class of reader who likes reading the same reheated opinion time and time again?"

Surely everyone on here is typing "I'm Spartacus!"?
    I am Brian and so is my wife
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Time to bring out this quote from Albert Camus, who had the measure of Corbynistas.

"Mistaken ideas always end in bloodshed but in every case it is someone else's blood . That is why some of our thinkers feel free to say just about anything."
    Camus. A towering figure of the 20th century. He would have thing or two to say about Le Pen.
  • Options

The only thing I remember from History GCSE is to check the source for bias, you are like a case study!
    Quite so, but the behaviour of Mr Johnson makes this piece highly believable, which may not even be a shock to his most gullible of followers
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It's not always true that it's someone else's blood, though. It may start that way, but in many cases it ends up being bloodshed which engulfs the revolutionaries themselves.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Camus. A towering figure of the 20th century. He would have thing or two to say about Le Pen.
    and those other great philosophers of the 20th Century; Palin, Jones, Chapman Idle, one of whom who wrote:

"Reg, our glorious leader and founder of the P.F.J., will be coordinating consultant at the drain head, though he himself will not be taking part in any terrorist action, as he has a bad back."

Genius
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Quite so, but the behaviour of Mr Johnson makes this piece highly believable, which may not even be a shock to his most gullible of followers
    Johnson regrets it? BFD. He is a **** and I hope he ponders the view that on his terms (of course we are excluding the possibility that he wants the best for the country) had he supported Cameron, with Cameron looking to step down in the then near future, he would have been well-placed to take over with a resounding majority of the party. He could have positioned himself to the ERG-loons as a more in sorrow than anger promise to keep fighting The Man EU candidate and they would have loved it.

Of course I realise he is favourite or near-favourite now but he has a dramatically split party behind him with some MPs who viscerally dislike him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Increasingly likely UK-EU will reach Canada-style free trade agreement
  • Options

People seizing on tweets that they are desperate to believe are the 21st Century's old ladies going to Clairvoyants
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Increasingly likely UK-EU will reach Canada-style free trade agreement
    Lets hope so !
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Pulpstar said:
    I wonder how the Brexiters are going to try and spin this bit of news? Where is "Alanbrooke" (aka Comical Ali) when you need him for entertainment?
    It would be great for our business, given we export a majority of what we make.

There that wasn't hard.
  • Options

People seizing on tweets that they are desperate to believe are the 21st Century's old ladies going to Clairvoyants
    Unless they have a time machine no one really cares what he says or feels. It is interesting for betting purposes, however, if he is going to position himself as Mr Soft Brexit to try to detoxify the brand a bit.
  • Options
    Breaking: world leaders back UK:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45439388

Well, under the current government, anyway.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Watch the video especially the bit about the US-China trade war. The exchange rate is not a virility symbol.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    TOPPING said:

Unless they have a time machine no one really cares what he says or feels. It is interesting for betting purposes, however, if he is going to position himself as Mr Soft Brexit to try to detoxify the brand a bit.
    Yeah but when the tweet comes from someone who makes a living out of turning every story into Brexit Doom, is it really telling you anything? If Nigel Farage says he has heard David Cameron is now in favour of Leaving the EU, how much credit would you give that? The anti/pro Brexit brigade, or anyone in any argument really, would do themselves a lot of favours by being rigorous with who they quote to back them up. They should be looking for things that sharpen their argument. Instead they are like someone who eats comfort food to feel good rather than going to the gym.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591

Cyclefree said:

and those other great philosophers of the 20th Century; Palin, Jones, Chapman Idle, one of whom who wrote:

"Reg, our glorious leader and founder of the P.F.J., will be coordinating consultant at the drain head, though he himself will not be taking part in any terrorist action, as he has a bad back."

Genius
    And a prescient reference to the dear leader's love of manhole covers ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It's not always true that it's someone else's blood, though. It may start that way, but in many cases it ends up being bloodshed which engulfs the revolutionaries themselves.
    The revolutionaries deserve it. It’s the innocents who suffer I’m concerned about.

Camus was writing about people like Sartre who gloried in his Communist views and image as some sort of revered guru in the West while ignoring those like Havel and others who suffered the realities of Communist rule. The latter were furious at the deliberate ignorance and moral cowardice of people like Sartre who refused to speak up and gave a veneer of respectability to the barbarism of Communism.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yeah but when the tweet comes from someone who makes a living out of turning every story into Brexit Doom, is it really telling you anything? If Nigel Farage says he has heard David Cameron is now in favour of Leaving the EU, how much credit would you give that? The anti/pro Brexit brigade, or anyone in any argument really, would do themselves a lot of favours by being rigorous with who they quote to back them up. They should be looking for things that sharpen their argument. Instead they are like someone who eats comfort food to feel good rather than going to the gym.
    I don't know about comfort food but I have been known to read pizza delivery leaflets from top to bottom, front and back including the terms and conditions, to delay going to the gym.

But as to your point - the mass of tweets doesn't really tell us anything individually but if there is a trend then that is interesting and who's to say we won't hear more of this about Johnson in the days or weeks to come.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I think he would have used a single word. (Existentialists are economical with words.)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I don't know about comfort food but I have been known to read pizza delivery leaflets from top to bottom, front and back including the terms and conditions, to delay going to the gym.

But as to your point - the mass of tweets doesn't really tell us anything individually but if there is a trend then that is interesting and who's to say we won't hear more of this about Johnson in the days or weeks to come.
    Decent eye exercise.

Depends where the mass of tweets come from, the source of the info often tells us more about the veracity of the story than anything else. This tweet looked interesting until I found out it was from someone at The New European, when it became noise.

It's the same with the rush to do down any poll that shows disagreement with ones opinion, the same people rarely scrutinise those that confirm their bias. There should be a quick & easy term for that!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

On the topic of pizza... only two hours to go until the big moment!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591

That's how I've read it on Twitter, though not seen anything definitive.
    I presume you mean kicking out of the Kavanaugh hearing, rather than the Senate ?

In any event, the released documents sound as though the ought not to have been kept confidential - for example:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/06/kavanaugh-leaked-docs-roe-wade-809129
    One of those confidential documents, obtained by POLITICO, shows Kavanaugh leaving the door open to the high court overturning Roe v. Wade. “I am not sure that all legal scholars refer to Roe as the settled law of the land at the Supreme Court level since [the] Court can always overrule its precedent, and three current Justices on the Court would do so,” President Donald Trump’s nominee wrote in 2003...

Why on earth should that not be made public in the context of Supreme Court nomination hearings ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I think he would have used a single word. (Existentialists are economical with words.)
    CBT therapist to client: How are you?
    Existential phenomenologist therapist to client: Are you?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It was notable that Boris Johnson's most recent "chuck Chequers" article didn't advocate a different kind of Brexit. Most people made the usual criticism that it showed he didn't have a plan, but maybe the plan is hidden in plain sight.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It was notable that Boris Johnson's most recent "chuck Chequers" article didn't advocate a different kind of Brexit. Most people made the usual criticism that it showed he didn't have a plan, but maybe the plan is hidden in plain sight.
    A flow chart where everything leads to the same conclusion in written form
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    He could say he has changed his mind, it is all more difficult than he thought, and start campaigning for a people's vote on the outcome of the UK/EU negotiations?

Not sure that would cut the mustard though.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

La Peste?
  • Options

He could say he has changed his mind, it is all more difficult than he thought, and start campaigning for a people's vote on the outcome of the UK/EU negotiations?

Not sure that would cut the mustard though.
    That might be a smart strategy if he also switched from trying to become the next leader of the Conservative Party to trying to become the next leader of the LibDems. Otherwise, not so smart!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Obviously co-incidence but the header of the top of the page is an advertisment for the Conservatives. It says 'Blue Wave Launching soon, urges the 'chucking of Chequers' and goes on to advertise conservatives.com and leave.eu/get involved

Highly regrettably there are photographs of Priti Patel, JRM and BoJo.
This discussion has been closed.