Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Demographics, First They Lift You Up…

Comments

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

""People who deny climate change... I just think it's the most stupid thing ever," Paul Mc Cartney
    Can't argue with that.

I thought it was the anthropogenic part that was denied?
    Still the most stupid thing ever.
    I've just taken a look and UK carbon output per person really isn't so bad. Here are the top nations by absolute output ranked on a per capita basis (+ Qatar)

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Source: http://www.globalcarbonatlas.org/en/CO2-emissions
    Poland is 8.3 tonnes/person, Sweden 4.6, Croatia 4.3, Iceland and Norway both over 10.
    If China is outputting over 20% more than us per capita then well and truly whatever the UK does is a drop in the ocean.
  • Options
    Someone should tell Corbyn the two accused Russians are zionists, just to watch his mind malfunction as he tries to work out what to think.

Mr. Song, mildly amused you agreed with almost everything I said, then ended by indicating you thought I was stupid.

(Agree with you on MMR. At most, on man-made global warming I'm unpersuaded. The alignment of the left, the green movement, and the religious fervour rather than scientific rigour with which debates are often had does more to put me off than persuade me).
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

""People who deny climate change... I just think it's the most stupid thing ever," Paul Mc Cartney
    Can't argue with that.

I've just taken a look and UK carbon output per person really isn't so bad. Here are the top nations by absolute output ranked on a per capita basis (+ Qatar)

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Poland is 8.3 tonnes/person, Sweden 4.6, Croatia 4.3, Iceland and Norway both over 10.
    If China is outputting over 20% more than us per capita then well and truly whatever the UK does is a drop in the ocean.
    Quite

we should really be shifting on to other environmental priorities instead of hammering the crap out of our energy users
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    Whose dream holiday day trip to Salisbury, which they did on more than one occasion...
    I know this is a bit old news but why on earth did the Russian government and or their security services feel the need to bump off some old Russian spy (or traitor in their eyes) who lived in Salisbury with a chemical weapon. Why not just wait for him and shoot him or - wait for him to visit London - and acid attack him. He would have just been another statistic then and would almost certainly be dead now or at least maimed for life.

They arguably put their own lives and risk for what point - when Skripal could have been disposed off with minimal risk to them with a bullet etc. I don't deny it happened but I still don't know why on earth they decided to pursue that risky course. It just doesn't make any sense?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. You wait more than 100 years to win a constituency and then you cause trouble like this.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

According to this article, the two Russian connoisseurs of Early English Gothic architecture have passport numbers which differ only by one digit:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/13/skripals-russia-putin-salisbury-poisoning-suspects-interview

That’s bonkers if true. They didn’t even try to hide themselves.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Like the whole war on plastic stuff - where it is overwhemingly an Asian problem, I'd say we're doing our bit for carbon. Interesting Germany is almost double our output per person, they've a similiar climate, living standard and aren't an oil or mineral economy.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited September 2018
    Mr. 16, might have been to make a point that it was definitely them who took out Skripal, pour encourager les autres.

It reminds me somewhat (in terms of trying to dissuade behaviour disapproved of by the state) of the idiotic actions of the Athenians when they killed all (who went back, a few didn't) of their admirals after they won a naval battle. Some dead Athenian sailors hadn't been retrieved due to the conditions, and this was deemed sufficiently wrong for the admirals to be executed.

Turns out massacring your own military leadership in the middle of a war isn't the smartest move in the world.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Pulpstar, agree entirely with your plastic comments.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    Whose dream holiday day trip to Salisbury, which they did on more than one occasion...
    I know this is a bit old news but why on earth did the Russian government and or their security services feel the need to bump off some old Russian spy (or traitor in their eyes) who lived in Salisbury with a chemical weapon. Why not just wait for him and shoot him or - wait for him to visit London - and acid attack him. He would have just been another statistic then and would almost certainly be dead now or at least maimed for life.

They arguably put their own lives and risk for what point - when Skripal could have been disposed off with minimal risk to them with a bullet etc. I don't deny it happened but I still don't know why on earth they decided to pursue that risky course. It just doesn't make any sense?
    The point of the operation wasn’t to kill the person per se but to demonstrate Russian power and reach.
  • Options
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

You could say the same about the murder of Alexander Litvenenko.

Given the context of the Salisbury attack being in the middle of the Russian election campaign, Putin wanted to let Russians at home and abroad know that he can still do stuff like this and get away with it.

Thankfully, and quite surprisingly, the international reaction has been quite overwhelming in terms of action and sanctions. Hopefully Europe has also received a wake-up call that they need to get fracking and look at energy security as a major issue.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

To make it totally obvious it was Russia.
  • Options
    If Corbyn pulled this kind of crap he’d be rightly pillioried.

Brexit really has demeaned the Tory party.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited September 2018
    Question for writing purposes:

does blood sausage ooze blood if you stab it?

Never had it, but blood sausage fits a section rather nicely.

Edited extra bit: I am genuinely interested in the answer, but depending how things go might use artistic licence to bend the truth.

As an aside, I have had beef in lukewarm blood. I do not recommend it, as the blood coagulating does not feel pleasant.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:
    It just adds to the narrative. TM already quoted Chuka at PMQ to Corbyn
    Corbyn won't be bothered in the slightest by criticism from Mandelson. Practically a Tory or Blairite as they used to be known, rich and working for bankers.

Why, he's the sort of person that might be painted on a mural! (Sarcasm alert).
    It's not that Lord whose said it I believe.... ie wasn't Mandy.

https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/lords/lord-mendelsohn/4286
    He'll be even less bothered by criticism from this Lord, given what is in his register of interests. I think he would be classified as a Zionist and therefore his views would be automatically discounted by Corbyn and co.
  • Options
    RobD said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Presumably also to further dissuade other possible defectors within the Russian security services: if you're found, don't think that you'll eventually be swapped off and live out a comfortable retirement in the West.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, could be wrong, but isn't the Conservative MEP vote on Orban etc down to not wanting the EU to interfere with domestic politics, rather than agreeing/disagreeing with the domestic politics themselves?

Read on Twitter (so, obviously, could be wrong) that that was the reason.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Someone should tell Corbyn the two accused Russians are zionists, just to watch his mind malfunction as he tries to work out what to think.

Mr. Song, mildly amused you agreed with almost everything I said, then ended by indicating you thought I was stupid.

(Agree with you on MMR. At most, on man-made global warming I'm unpersuaded. The alignment of the left, the green movement, and the religious fervour rather than scientific rigour with which debates are often had does more to put me off than persuade me).

On man-made global warning Morris, which part of the cause and effect sequence:
    human activity as caused increased atmospheric CO2 which has led to higher global temperatures
    do you not agree with?
  • Options
    What I'm not sure about is whether Putin is currently humiliating or promoting the two cackhanded assassins, by making them do this interview.

I'm not entirely clear why we haven't reopened investigations into all the other suspicious Russian-related deaths on British soil in the last couple of decades; many of them look like obvious murders. Presumably there are reasons.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, could be wrong, but isn't the Conservative MEP vote on Orban etc down to not wanting the EU to interfere with domestic politics, rather than agreeing/disagreeing with the domestic politics themselves?

Yes wrong.

The Tories are allying themselves with an anti-Semite

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1040275247080132608?s=21
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Countries who produce lots of oil & gas have high carbon emissions shocker.
  • Options
    I once spent under 24 hours in Russia travelling on a tourist visa. The guy who checked my passport as I left clearly knew that I wasn't there primarily to see the sights and had a few stern words for me (in Russian), but let me through. I don't think I'd be repeating that wheeze these days.
  • Options

Yes wrong.

it will be latvian homophobes next
  • Options

Edited extra bit: I am genuinely interested in the answer, but depending how things go might use artistic licence to bend the truth.

As an aside, I have had beef in lukewarm blood. I do not recommend it, as the blood coagulating does not feel pleasant.

Is blood sausage the same as black pudding or boudin noir? In which case the answer is no, they don't leak blood.

Beef in lukewarm blood - how is that different to a rare steak, which has much to recommend it?
  • Options

shouldnt

the blood is cooked to make it a sausage, but if you stab it while it is being prepared it will
  • Options

Yes wrong.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1040280175748022274
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you're saying that Conservative MEPs don't always either abstain or vote against such motions?

If that's the case, then fair enough.

Mr. Pointer, it's not proven. Temperature records also showed signs of being revised consistently upwards (not sure if they're still publicly available), and the false prophecies (most infamously on the future scarcity of snow, before we had two of the worst winters in decades) doesn't persuade me in the predictive power of those who believe.

What's the increase been? From 0.03% to...? 0.04%?

The climate certainly seems more volatile recently. But climate change itself as natural and normal as can be. The climate has always and will always change, it's not some static thing that remains as it ever was. Assuming it's down to us is as human-centric as assuming we're at the centre of the universe.

Anyway, time for me to be off. Be nice, kids, and if you're off to visit a cathedral, don't forget your chemical weapons.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    If you included the embedded CO2 emissions of imports (and deducted them from exports) the UK would be significantly higher up the list.
  • Options

Yes wrong.

westminster bubble stuff, most voters wont even know who he is
  • Options

Mr. Pubgoer, I recall Sega at one time had three out at once (Master System, Mega Drive, and Game Gear, although the latter was a hand-held).

Sorry MD, I was driving home. MSX machines were around in the mid to late 80's timeframe, which may be a tad before your time as iirc you're a bit younger than me. Made by companies like Toshiba and Hitachi etc.
  • Options
    Does this mean that UK government departments have not been engaging with devolved administrations on Brexit hitherto? I'm shocked and disappointed.

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1040263635690508288
  • Options

Yes wrong.

Plus voters expect the Tories to be best mates with the far right. Just look at Thatcher and Pinochet.
  • Options

Mr. 16, might have been to make a point that it was definitely them who took out Skripal, pour encourager les autres.

It reminds me somewhat (in terms of trying to dissuade behaviour disapproved of by the state) of the idiotic actions of the Athenians when they killed all (who went back, a few didn't) of their admirals after they won a naval battle. Some dead Athenian sailors hadn't been retrieved due to the conditions, and this was deemed sufficiently wrong for the admirals to be executed.

Turns out massacring your own military leadership in the middle of a war isn't the smartest move in the world.

I think it's also important that they chose a target in the UK rather than the US or France. It shows that they are not afraid of anything we might do or say in response. We really are a mangy old lion these days.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Charles said:

Went to the democracy road show last night. 57 in favour of open selection 1 against. Newsnight tonight will fail to report that. Desperate to get negative quotes. The young bloke with glasses provided them with an alternative opinion. You couldn't go for a piss without them sticking a microphone in your face. Very bad idea to invite them along methinks.

You’re right. Press TV is a better option
    Or Russia Today

• Options

Yes wrong.

Plus voters expect the Tories to be best mates with the far right. Just look at Thatcher and Pinochet.
    they cant even get that right - Jobbik are the far right in Hungary
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited September 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Like the whole war on plastic stuff - where it is overwhemingly an Asian problem, I'd say we're doing our bit for carbon. Interesting Germany is almost double our output per person, they've a similiar climate, living standard and aren't an oil or mineral economy.
    Don't the Germans burn a lot of lignite for energy? Seem to recall reading that somewhere a while ago.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Don't the Germans burn a lot of lignite for energy? Seem to recall reading that somewhere a while ago.
    They certainly do. So does Australia.
  • Options

I think it's also important that they chose a target in the UK rather than the US or France. It shows that they are not afraid of anything we might do or say in response. We really are a mangy old lion these days.
    I think they've underestimated our diplomatic clout - there are more US sanctions due to come in, and in an issue that will hurt a lot of Putin backers:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6162861/Russian-Debutante-Ball-Mayfair-cancelled.html
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Yes wrong.

Though Orban is an anti semite too.

Or is it OK to support anti-semites abroad if you have a common enemy?
  • Options

To be fair we managed to rustle up a pretty damn good international response to what happened in Salisbury. Even Chelski FC is now up for sale.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

the UK has been allying itself with all sorts of unsavoury characters for years and will continue to do so. The current hand wringing is just westminster nonsense.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

I don't know, has anyone asked Corbyn?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    If you included the embedded CO2 emissions of imports (and deducted them from exports) the UK would be significantly higher up the list.
    Yes, just as we have off shored our manufacturing and mining, we have off shored our pollution.
  • Options
    You have to wonder about the person or committee whose job it is to spot these terrors. Still upset that I am not allowed to have TT05 SER for my 2005 Mk1 Audi TT. No sense of humour these people!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Yes, just as we have off shored our manufacturing and mining, we have off shored our pollution.
    and in all instances we shouldnt have.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

Doesn't Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    Those are terrible weather conditions. I remember a state of emergency being declared they were that bad.
  • Options
    My parents chose my number plate 23 years ago.

Is very sober.
  • Options

You have to wonder about the person or committee whose job it is to spot these terrors. Still upset that I am not allowed to have TT05 SER for my 2005 Mk1 Audi TT. No sense of humour these people!
    They must so be looking forward to the 69 plates
  • Options

Is very sober.
    P 155 ED ?
  • Options

Is very sober.
    P 155 ED ?
    Reassembles the password to your WiFi.
  • Options

Is very sober.
    Good Muslim boys are always sober.

Happy new year by the way.
  • Options

Is very sober.
    ED15 CIP?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

the UK has been allying itself with all sorts of unsavoury characters for years and will continue to do so. The current hand wringing is just westminster nonsense.
    Just sweet to see the Tories joining Momentumites in the dock.
  • Options

We'll have to use them back to front...
  • Options

A very nice map and accompanying blogpost make a good companion for Robert's video:
    https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1039953072120885252

Egypt's population could reach 100m any time now....
    Ethiopia really surprised me at 107.5m - for some reason I had in mind that it was a sparsely populated country of semi arid uplands.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

In simply stating the obvious and no UK government will do different.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

MD, it is black pudding pure and simple and no blood oozing. Unless of course you are a johnny foreigner.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    and in all instances we shouldnt have.
    Why not? We can breath better and the impoverished across the globe can live better. Win/win.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Is very sober.

Oh bugger is it Muharram?

That’s how good a Muslim boy I am.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

He is a saint compared to some of their best pals
  • Options
    Makes sense to me:

The UK is preparing a post-Brexit immigration regime that will give preferential access to citizens from countries that strike comprehensive trade deals with Britain, according to people briefed on the government’s plans.

The overhaul by the Home Office is partly intended to honour the government’s pledge to end the free movement of people to Britain from the European Economic Area — the EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

However, for countries that strike deep trade deals with the UK, the new immigration regime is expected to offer preferential access rights to their citizens — when seeking to work in Britain, or just visit — compared with people from nations with less comprehensive agreements.

https://www.ft.com/content/e585ee9a-b75f-11e8-b3ef-799c8613f4a1
  • Options
    edited September 2018

69 plates - will they lead to nose to tail traffic?
  • Options

Makes sense to me:

The UK is preparing a post-Brexit immigration regime that will give preferential access to citizens from countries that strike comprehensive trade deals with Britain, according to people briefed on the government’s plans.

The overhaul by the Home Office is partly intended to honour the government’s pledge to end the free movement of people to Britain from the European Economic Area — the EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

However, for countries that strike deep trade deals with the UK, the new immigration regime is expected to offer preferential access rights to their citizens — when seeking to work in Britain, or just visit — compared with people from nations with less comprehensive agreements.

Sounds a bit like freedom of movement.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

Hang on. We're the one leaving the EU. It's remainers who want us to stay in a union with Hungary.
  • Options

shouldnt

the blood is cooked to make it a sausage, but if you stab it while it is being prepared it will
    Alan,, it is full of cereals etc and should be solid-ish even before cooking, hard to see blood pouring out unless it is real cheap muck
  • Options

Makes sense to me:

It's all going to be an irrelevance since we're heading for BINO.
  • Options

69 plates - will they lead to nose to tail traffic?
    That would suck.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,000
    edited September 2018
    Major incident declared on Cambridge Guided Busway between Trumpington and Addenbrookes.

Source: BBC News
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Is very sober.

Oh bugger is it Muharram?

That’s how good a Muslim boy I am.
    It was yesterday, but we got the day off work today.
  • Options

Makes sense to me:

Lets hope so
  • Options
    Rory on QT tonight!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Major incident declared on Cambridge Guided Busway between Trumpington and Addenbrookes.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/live-updates-guided-busway-incident-15149207

They don't seem to have done much in the way of vegetation clearance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

A very nice map and accompanying blogpost make a good companion for Robert's video:

Ethiopia really surprised me at 107.5m - for some reason I had in mind that it was a sparsely populated country of semi arid uplands.
    It is once you get about 10 miles away from the Nile.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Can't argue with that.

47.9 Qatar
    19.6 Saudi Arabia
    16.5 Australia
    16.5 USA
    15.5 Canada
    11.7 South Korea
    11.4 Russia
    9.8 Germany
    9.5 Japan
    8.4 S Africa
    8.2 Iran
    7.2 China
    6 Italy
    5.9 UK
    5.3 France
    5.1 Turkey
    Turning of nuclear and replacing it with lignite really is the greening of Germany.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It is once you get about 10 miles away from the Nile.
    That doesn't quite ring true for Ethiopia. Did you mean Egypt?

In the case of Ethiopia the important point to bear in mind is that the west, east and north are all very different.
  • Options

Makes sense to me:

You think?

It's a not inconsiderable carrot......and why shouldn't (for example) Australians have the same rights as Romanians - assuming both countries are parties to comprehensive trade deals?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes wrong.

I did tell everyone just how hypocritical they were being on the subject. I shall await the acknowledgement of my correctness at my leisure.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

I don’t think a bus running to schedule deserves that.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

Makes sense to me:

That's called making a virtue of necessity. Counterparties will insist on good access for their citizens in FTAs with us, particularly for GATS mode 4 exports of services.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Makes sense to me:

I presume it would have to be reciprocal - although who knows with this government. As you say its possibly rather academic.

In anycase we already offer visa free travel for 3-6 months for tourism purposes for pretty much every nation we might think it worthwhile doing a deal with (nearly 60 non EU states) from Nicaragua to Vanuatu to Mauritius - so what exactly would these extra travel rights be?
  • Options
    RobD said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Who else would want to kill a Russian double agent turned UK retiree?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited September 2018
    Note sure if following already discussed over last two days on here.

Did anyone watch BBC2 Politics Live on Tue / Wed - Caroline Flint (Tue) and Lisa Nandy (Wed) both said pretty clearly that they might well vote for a Govt EU deal if it was broadly in line with Chequers.

Maybe not surprising re Flint but I wouldn't have expected Nandy to say something like that.

Does this suggest a whole pile of Lab moderates will ignore party line and vote for a "soft" EU deal? If so, it would basically be game over for the ERG.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Makes sense to me:

That's called making a virtue of necessity. Counterparties will insist on good access for their citizens in FTAs with us, particularly for GATS mode 4 exports of services.
    But better than Labour, who make no link to trade:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/13/diane-abbott-to-announce-labour-plans-to-overhaul-visa-policy
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FF43 said:

Makes sense to me:

Considering that Brexit was (supposedly) about reducing immigration, is the govt now saying that as a result of Brexit it will have to go up?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Makes sense to me:

I presume it would have to be reciprocal - although who knows with this government. As you say its possibly rather academic.

In anycase we already offer visa free travel for 3-6 months for tourism purposes for pretty much every nation we might think it worthwhile doing a deal with (nearly 60 non EU states) from Nicaragua to Vanuatu to Mauritius - so what exactly would these extra travel rights be?
    The point is, people want to come to Britain - we should leverage that.

Labour would be 'trade deal blind' in their approach.
  • Options
    matt said:

Someone has died after being hit by a bus.

The Cambridge guided bus has been an absolute debacle in a whole host of ways. Massively over budget, massively under predicted passenger numbers, a little chaotic in operation and IMO operationally unsafe. Worse, the concrete beams are cracking up after only about a decade and many need replacing.
  • Options

Makes sense to me:

You think?

It's a not inconsiderable carrot......and why shouldn't (for example) Australians have the same rights as Romanians - assuming both countries are parties to comprehensive trade deals?
    I can't see it working that way in the case of, say, China or India - the fears across middle England that we might be inudated would be too strong.

I think it's irrelevant because I think we will remain closely tied to the EU for the forseeable (thankfully) and striking our own trade deals will be forever aspirational-unachievable (a bit like the goal of bringing immigration down to <100k has been for the Tories).

It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Makes sense to me:

You think?

We are supposed to be keeping the forriners out so that they do not bleed the NHS dry, occupy all the houses and take all the jobs that Brits do not want to do cos they'd 'ave no one to moan about in the dole queue...

Duh!
  • Options

matt said:

Someone has died after being hit by a bus.

The Cambridge guided bus has been an absolute debacle in a whole host of ways. Massively over budget, massively under predicted passenger numbers, a little chaotic in operation and IMO operationally unsafe. Worse, the concrete beams are cracking up after only about a decade and many need replacing.
    They should have reopened the full-fat railway route IMHO
  • Options
    Nice video, but I have a fundamental issue with how the life expectancy figures are presented.

People didn't get born, live and "drop-dead" in their late 30s in the 17th or 18th or 19th Centuries, as it suggests. There was a very high infant mortality rate but, if you survived to the age of 16, you stood a good chance of making it to aged 60.

So, I'd far prefer for life expectancy figures to be split and presented into infant mortality, and life expectancy for those who made it in adulthood which, I suspect, was probably the mid-late 50s/early 60s for the working class, and late 60s/early 70s for the middle-upper classes.

Otherwise, it doesn't mean very much.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,299
    edited September 2018
    I despair with people like Chuka being content with membership of an "institutionally racist" party...
  • Options

Makes sense to me:

You think?

We are supposed to be keeping the forriners out so that they do not bleed the NHS dry, occupy all the houses and take all the jobs that Brits do not want to do cos they'd 'ave no one to moan about in the dole queue...

Duh!
    I'd put more water in it dear....
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    MikeL said:

Note sure if following already discussed over last two days on here.

Did anyone watch BBC2 Politics Live on Tue / Wed - Caroline Flint (Tue) and Lisa Nandy (Wed) both said pretty clearly that they might well vote for a Govt EU deal if it was broadly in line with Chequers.

Maybe not surprising re Flint but I wouldn't have expected Nandy to say something like that.

Does this suggest a whole pile of Lab moderates will ignore party line and vote for a "soft" EU deal? If so, it would basically be game over for the ERG.

I didn't listen, but this is just sort of realistic. Some form of Brexit needs to take place, and if the spectrum of opinion is bleating equally loudly on both sides then you may as well go with that.

I imagine that this 'noone's happy, but noones very very unhappy' sort of deal is what will happen, and the Chequers' plan is roughly that. However there is the complete unknown of the EU - they're not quite positioned such that the least bad solution will be accepted.
This discussion has been closed.