Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Surely the time’s come for the media to treat Moggsy’s ERG boy

Comments

• Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Up to 45 Labour MPs could rebel to back Theresa May's Brexit deal if it is “reasonable”, Don Valley MP Caroline Flint tells me

https://t.co/ZWl9xBuZ2P

Only if they want to commit political hari kiri (belly slitting) and antagonise their local CLP, LP supporters and electorate. They will enhance their chances of being deselected in short time, and if there is a quick election, no chance of returning to the best club in London, or red boxes and government cars, and believe me, they are not that stupid, they just look and act like it.
    Maybe they see it in the national interest
    Oh come on, they are politicians...
    Actually I believe TM will get the deal passed by the HOC probbably with good support from sensible labour mps who do not want the risk of an accidental no deal
    Nope. The ERG have boxed in May. There won't be a 'reasonable' deal because the EU will not offer what she has promised; therefore to get a deal she will have to engage in a humiliating climbdown. For example, she will have to accept the backstop is effectively permanent after saying it was not. You can't spin something as fundamental as that as 'reasonable'. It is not, it is a capitulation, and although many hard core Remainers will accept it (even welcome it), moderates will not. It crosses a fundamental red line in giving control over the UK to the EU. Labour will have no need to vote for it.

The chief whip apparently told May that over 100 Tory MPs will rebel if she agrees an NI only backstop. He is right.
    Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph is reporting tonight that the cabinet is taking 1 on 1;s with Mr Cox. They worry that the deal is so bad it will destroy the person who takes over. They will live with the vassal state. There is growing opposition.
    Yes, I have been saying for a week or two that the Cabinet will oust May. Even Gove now seems to be realising that May is trying to sign agreements that will be permanent and remove any ability to ‘improve’ Brexit later.

BTW I hope the people cheering on May’s ‘deal’ realise that she is not even negotiating with Barnier at the moment. Ridiculous behaviour from the Remainers running our Government.
    Keep trying to convince yourself. You have your view but it is a minority view

She will see this through and present the deal to the HOC for them to decide

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Up to 45 Labour MPs could rebel to back Theresa May's Brexit deal if it is “reasonable”, Don Valley MP Caroline Flint tells me

Only if they want to commit political hari kiri (belly slitting) and antagonise their local CLP, LP supporters and electorate. They will enhance their chances of being deselected in short time, and if there is a quick election, no chance of returning to the best club in London, or red boxes and government cars, and believe me, they are not that stupid, they just look and act like it.
    Actually I believe TM will get the deal passed by the HOC probbably with good support from sensible labour mps who do not want the risk of an accidental no deal
    Nope. The ERG have boxed in May. There won't be a 'reasonable' deal because the EU will not offer what she has promised; therefore to get a deal she will have to engage in a humiliating climbdown. For example, she will have to accept the backstop is effectively permanent after saying it was not. You can't spin something as fundamental as that as 'reasonable'. It is not, it is a capitulation, and although many hard core Remainers will accept it (even welcome it), moderates will not. It crosses a fundamental red line in giving control over the UK to the EU. Labour will have no need to vote for it.

The chief whip apparently told May that over 100 Tory MPs will rebel if she agrees an NI only backstop. He is right.
    Its over for ERG
    They are just about to get the Cabinet to declare no deal. I think they are doing ok!
    No they are not, though Leadsom, McVey and Mourdaunt might resign once the inevitable May fudge is confirmed and the backstop is agreed
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph is reporting tonight that the cabinet is taking 1 on 1;s with Mr Cox. They worry that the deal is so bad it will destroy the person who takes over. They will live with the vassal state. There is growing opposition.
    Yes, I have been saying for a week or two that the Cabinet will oust May. Even Gove now seems to be realising that May is trying to sign agreements that will be permanent and remove any ability to ‘improve’ Brexit later.

BTW I hope the people cheering on May’s ‘deal’ realise that she is not even negotiating with Barnier at the moment. Ridiculous behaviour from the Remainers running our Government.
    Been saying for a while that the crunch for May's "deal" will be when she says it must be set in stone for ever. That will finally elicit the response that she should have given the back-stop.

Which will have a pleasing circularity to it.
  • Options

Thoroughly enjoyed "Bohemian Rhapsody" tonight.

So did I, had a few major inaccuracies, but I can live with that.
    Interesting - reviews I have seen have been pretty damning. They have put me off somewhat.
    52% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think I'll wait for Blu-Ray or Netflix :)
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Most of the Cabinet are now Remainers, it is laughable to think they will oust May
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG
    They are just about to get the Cabinet to declare no deal. I think they are doing ok!
    You are losing it
  • Options

Thoroughly enjoyed "Bohemian Rhapsody" tonight.

So did I, had a few major inaccuracies, but I can live with that.
    Interesting - reviews I have seen have been pretty damning. They have put me off somewhat.
    I really can't work out why the reviews have been so snippy. I think they offer as much insight as the reviews of Bohemian Rhapsody itself in the film, which mostly thought it a load of toss. Presumably still plenty of those reviewers still alive, seeing the film and cringing at how badly wrong they got it...

Go see it. You'll enjoy it. Or come back and bollock me for a dodgy review.....
    I did like the bit in the film when they posted the original (unfavourable) reviews of the song Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Regarding 6 minute Queen masterpieces, I'm actually more of an Innuendo man :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Orange booker for me. I expect that group will be hugely overrepresented on pb.

I must be in the Techno-Moron Class because I can’t even open the survey page on my iPad!

:(
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

So what, the LDs, the SNP and probably an equal number if not a majority of Labour MPs would back the NI backstop so it would pass the Commons with a clear majority
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

So what, the LDs, the SNP and probably an equal number if not a majority of Labour MPs would back the NI backstop so it would pass the Commons with a clear majority
    There's not going to be a vote on the backstop, there's going to be a vote on May's deal as a whole and the SNP are going to three line whip go against that. Even if they can live with the backstop.

Their job isn't to think what is best for the UK and if it causes any of a major constitutional crisis, the fall of the government or the re-opening of referendums then so much the better. They're agents of chaos and they would love the deal to be voted down.
  • Options

They're agents of chaos and they would love the deal to be voted down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iwf20t9J1k
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

like it.

Then why not act already?

I gave up on May a long time ago, but then I would have acted a long time ago. Never has Macbeth's maxim been more apt: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well It were done quickly"

The longer the cabinet and other's wait the less plausible any alternative deal becomes.
    I think it is because they know they have one shot at it. They have sat there and watched the Tory remainers vote against the govt and fail time after time after time. The other point is why change now because the EU will not change their stance, instead of May getting a bad deal it will be somebody else getting a bad deal.
    Their strategy may be let May get a bad deal, vote it down, blame May, say now the only deal is no deal with bilaterals for planes, etc. Say we must accept this make a good deal of a bad job by May and move forward with a new PM free from the May baggage.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

There's not going to be a vote on the backstop, there's going to be a vote on May's deal as a whole and the SNP are going to three line whip go against that. Even if they can live with the backstop.

Their job isn't to think what is best for the UK and if it causes any of a major constitutional crisis, the fall of the government or the re-opening of referendums then so much the better. They're agents of chaos and they would love the deal to be voted down.
    Chequers will not be at issue in the vote, the only 'deal' on the table will be the Withdrawal Agreement and the Transition Deal and their terms of citizens rights, the exit bill and the backstop.

Though you are correct No Deal is the SNP's quickest route to indyref2 and a Yes vote for independence
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Of course because they want to reverse the process to remain and if the deal goes, brexit goes with it
  • Options

They're agents of chaos and they would love the deal to be voted down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iwf20t9J1k
    Indeed. That's who I was thinking of when I said it though I prefer this quote.

https://youtu.be/efHCdKb5UWc
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

like it.

I gave up on May a long time ago, but then I would have acted a long time ago. Never has Macbeth's maxim been more apt: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well It were done quickly"

The longer the cabinet and other's wait the less plausible any alternative deal becomes.
    I think it is because they know they have one shot at it. They have sat there and watched the Tory remainers vote against the govt and fail time after time after time. The other point is why change now because the EU will not change their stance, instead of May getting a bad deal it will be somebody else getting a bad deal.
    Their strategy may be let May get a bad deal, vote it down, blame May, say now the only deal is no deal with bilaterals for planes, etc. Say we must accept this make a good deal of a bad job by May and move forward with a new PM free from the May baggage.
    No deal will not happen under any leader. The vast weight of opinion will force the government to a second referendum or even cancellation of brexit
  • Options

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

like it.

No deal will not happen under any leader. The vast weight of opinion will force the government to a second referendum or even cancellation of brexit
    Bilaterals for planes etc is a deal of sorts. It is a minimal deal but still a deal.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Since when had anyone with more than half a brain cell taken Rees-Mogg seriously? He's a pantomime act.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Since when had anyone with more than half a brain cell taken Rees-Mogg seriously? He's a pantomime act.

So is Corbyn
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG
    Could be ... hopefully so.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

"He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them."
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I see the Indy has up a questionnaire designed to find people's 'value clan' designed by BMG research, another in a long line of attempts to categorize people. I'm down as 'The Measured Middle', but I feel like I might bias the results somewhat as even though I did not look to see what the 'clans' were beforehand, that is kind of where I would have liked to have ended up, so may have self selected somewhat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/british-political-clan-test-research-uk-general-election-right-wing-left-bmg-a8599586.html

Notting Hill (Tory) Society, apparently. :o
    Global Green. Sounds about right. Citizen of everywhere, you might say.
    I'm Global Green too. Surprising.
  • Options
    Lisa Nandy backing a May style Brexit on QT with a UK wide Customs Union and a NI backstop in opposition to Andrea Jenkyns support for No Deal and Leave means Leave, says she will support the former to move to a stable transition period
  • Options
    geoffw said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG
    There is no Cabinet majority for No Deal, most of them were Remainers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG
    There is hardly any support for the May/Robbins plan in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Labour win in North Lanarkshire.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    HYUFD said:

Lisa Nandy backing a May style Brexit on QT with a UK wide Customs Union and a NI backstop in opposition to Andrea Jenkyns support for No Deal and Leave means Leave, says she will support the former to move to a stable transition period

Sensible
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    FPT...
    Nigelb said:

I notice Belgium has just chosen to buy the F-35 rather than the Eurofighter - on grounds of cost.
    Interesting.

Not just cost, F-35 has better radar, sensor fusion and datalink capabilities. It also gives the Belgians commonality with the Dutch air force with whom they share Benelux air policing. Eurofighter probably has the edge on airframe performance but that comes a very significant cost. The UK has paid almost 40bn quid to end up owning 144 a/c with 97 in the forward fleet. Don't do the maths. It's upsetting.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG
    Thatcher used to say TINA.

I believe there is an alternative but unless or until the cabinet give May the revolver and whiskey there isn't one.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,614
    HYUFD said:

Andrea Jenkyns way out of her depth on #bbcqt. Quite possibly the dimmest MP in the party.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Brexit is the modern day Fall of Singapore meets the Battle of Patay

https://twitter.com/willsheehan68/status/1055555696098455558

Unless and until they have a plane that can come close to matching the Euro fighter I am not sure this is going to matter too much.
    There are 4 x Typhoon and 5 crew at MPA that generate 2 jets for QRA. How long do you think it would take to run those 2 out of missiles? The answer is not very long...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG
    There is over No Deal and as Nandy is showing on QT there is also significant support for it in the Labour Party
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Oh dear. Andrea Jenkyns MP complete and total disaster on QT....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

like it.

SNIP

I gave up on May a long time ago, but then I would have acted a long time ago. Never has Macbeth's maxim been more apt: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well It were done quickly" only deal is no deal with bilaterals for planes, etc. Say we must accept this make a good deal of a bad job by May and move forward with a new PM free from the May baggage.
    Bilaterals for planes etc is a deal of sorts. It is a minimal deal but still a deal.
    Talking about planes - I assume someone has posted about Boeing bringing a new plant to UK?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited October 2018
    "Of course because they want to reverse the process to remain and if the deal goes, brexit goes with it"

The SNP don't want to reverse any process and don't care about if England and Wales remain, in fact I strongly suspect they'd want the hardest possible no deal solution that they can get away with without looking guilty.

The SNP are like the ERG & DUP in many ways, they are driven by the ideology of constitutional change, at whatever cost. If trashing the Scottish economy is the price of Independence, then it's a price worth paying in their world view.

There's a understanding that chaos brings opportunity, and like the ERG they know that they'll never have a better chance than now.
  • Options

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG

I believe there is an alternative but unless or until the cabinet give May the revolver and whiskey there isn't one.
    A new acronym is needed. TINCO - there is no Chequers option (the EU won't have it).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited October 2018
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Andrea Jenkyns way out of her depth on #bbcqt. Quite possibly the dimmest MP in the party.
    It's a competitive field.

Meanwhile fpt I asked why there is a shortage of radiologists. The article you linked to said it wanted "health chiefs" to fund more of them..?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

She has a politics and international relations degree from Lincoln University and an economics degree from the Open University apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Jenkyns
  • Options
    Seb Payne looks like he is still in 6th form
  • Options
    Modern working life this time for me on that quiz.
    Not watching QT, interesting to hear that Nandy is closer to May on Brexiteers than Jenkyns though. Will have to watch at some point !
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Its over for ERG

A new acronym is needed. TINCO - there is no Chequers option (the EU won't have it).
    Chequers can be left to the transition period when negotiating the future economic relationship
  • Options
    Con hold in Ashford.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    geoffw said:

It doesn't matter. May isn't prepared to walk away so she will sign whatever crap deal Barnier deigns fit to give her. We all know it too and the cabinet knows it yet they've chosen to keep her. Speaks volumes.

May has been let down in her negotiations with Europe by the same critical failure that Cameron had. Neither have been prepared to say no and risk walking out completely.

Cameron had an opportunity to seek reform and laid out good proposals in his Bloomberg speech but the EU knew he was never going to back Brexit (and didn't think the country would) so gave him nothing.
    May had a mandate to seek reform and laid out good proposals in her Lancaster House speech but the EU knew she was never going to walk away and have no deal (and don't think the country will) so have given her nothing.

If May goes and its third time's the charm the only way to actually get a deal with the EU that is meaningful will be to risk not getting one at all.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Dura_Ace said:

There are 4 x Typhoon and 5 crew at MPA that generate 2 jets for QRA. How long do you think it would take to run those 2 out of missiles? The answer is not very long...

Does Argentina even have any planes for them to shoot at these days?

• Options
    slade said:

Labour win in North Lanarkshire.

Remarkably quick counting.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

geoffw said:

It doesn't matter. May isn't prepared to walk away so she will sign whatever crap deal Barnier deigns fit to give her. We all know it too and the cabinet knows it yet they've chosen to keep her. Speaks volumes.

May has been let down in her negotiations with Europe by the same critical failure that Cameron had. Neither have been prepared to say no and risk walking out completely.

Cameron had an opportunity to seek reform and laid out good proposals in his Bloomberg speech but the EU knew he was never going to back Brexit (and didn't think the country would) so gave him nothing.
    May had a mandate to seek reform and laid out good proposals in her Lancaster House speech but the EU knew she was never going to walk away and have no deal (and don't think the country will) so have given her nothing.

If May goes and its third time's the charm the only way to actually get a deal with the EU that is meaningful will be to risk not getting one at all.
    And has been demonstrated repeatedly, it wouldn’t happen. No Deal is simply not a viable option.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile fpt I asked why there is a shortage of radiologists. The article you linked to said it wanted "health chiefs" to fund more of them..?
    There are widespread vacancies in the NHS. There is funding for these posts, just no one wanting them. This affects many fields in Medicine and even more in Nursing. Radiology is particularly short as the demand on imaging services far outstrips availible staff.

I see staff recruitment and retention as bigger threats to the NHS than funding. The latter can be found if needed, Consultant Radiologists take 9 years post graduate training.

There are shortages in other areas too:

Emergency departments:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jul/19/nhs-england-urgently-needs-2200-more-ae-consultants

Psychiatrists:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41860343

Indeed 75% of postgraduate training programmes could not fill their posts last year:

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centre/press-releases/2017/september/staffing-crisis-in-nhs-laid-bare

Nursing is even worse. Neither hospitals nor care homes can fill posts with staff of the right calibre.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

There are quite a few contenders for that accolade.
  • Options
    Con hold in South Derbyshire. Caused by the death of the husband of the Con MP.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited October 2018
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

There are widespread vacancies in the NHS. There is funding for these posts, just no one wanting them. This affects many fields in Medicine and even more in Nursing. Radiology is particularly short as the demand on imaging services far outstrips availible staff.

I see staff recruitment and retention as bigger threats to the NHS than funding. The latter can be found if needed, Consultant Radiologists take 9 years post graduate training.

Emergency departments:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jul/19/nhs-england-urgently-needs-2200-more-ae-consultants

Psychiatrists:

Indeed 75% of postgraduate training programmes could not fill their posts last year:

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centre/press-releases/2017/september/staffing-crisis-in-nhs-laid-bare

Nursing is even worse. Neither hospitals nor care homes can fill posts with staff of the right calibre.
    Why so? Not funding, four applicants per vacancy?

Doesn't sound like it is a "shortage of beds"...

Edit: apologies I must to bed (for tomorrow we rise at dawn...) I will def look at your answer in the morning. Thanks.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

There are quite a few contenders for that accolade.
    It is certainly a packed field!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chequers can be left to the transition period when negotiating the future economic relationship

The crux of the matter is that the backstop has to be permanent – otherwise it is meaningless – and the Cabinet will not agree to that. So ineluctably we head for no deal. Which Hammond refused to prepare for, so it will be a shambles but we'll have to muddle through.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

The crux of the matter is that the backstop has to be permanent – otherwise it is meaningless – and the Cabinet will not agree to that. So ineluctably we head for no deal. Which Hammond refused to prepare for, so it will be a shambles but we'll have to muddle through.
    The crux of the matter is that the backstop has to be permanent – otherwise it is meaningless – and the Cabinet will not agree to that. So ineluctably we head for no deal ... and the Cabinet will not agree to that, so they will agree to the permanent backstop afterall.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Emergency departments:

Psychiatrists:

Edit: apologies I must to bed (for tomorrow we fight...) I will def look at your answer in the morning. Thanks.
    Well when you tell a large proportion of the workforce that they're not wanted here and if they deign to stay that'll be at least £65 please....

I notice that Newcastle NHS Trust has written to all is non -British EU staff offering to pay the fees for settled status.
  • Options

geoffw said:

And has been demonstrated repeatedly, it wouldn’t happen. No Deal is simply not a viable option.
    It is a viable option. It's just an uncomfortable one.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

The Cabinet will agree to the 'get out clause' May fudges with Barnier ie the backstop will be permanent but in theory can be ended if a technical solution found to the Irish border. Barely any Cabinet Ministers, certainly not Hunt or Javid or Hinds or Hammond or Clarke or Lewis or Wright or Hancock or Liddington are going to back No Deal. So a deal will be made even if largely on Barnier's terms.

Leadsom, McVey and Mourdaunt may resign but so be it, the ERG may be furious but tough, there is no majority in the Cabinet or in Parliament for No Deal so we head ineluctably for a deal even if it is largely BINO
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Emergency departments:

Psychiatrists:

Edit: apologies I must to bed (for tomorrow we fight...) I will def look at your answer in the morning. Thanks.
    Well when you tell a large proportion of the workforce that they're not wanted here and if they deign to stay that'll be at least £65 please....

I notice that Newcastle NHS Trust has written to all is non -British EU staff offering to pay the fees for settled status.
    Who's been told they're not wanted here? By whom?

£65 one-off fee isn't that much relatively, it's from memory less (or comparable) than the cost of a new passport. Though I see no reason why employers shouldn't pay it if they want to.
  • Options

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

The crux of the matter is that the backstop has to be permanent – otherwise it is meaningless – and the Cabinet will not agree to that. So ineluctably we head for no deal ... and the Cabinet will not agree to that, so they will agree to the permanent backstop afterall.
    I think that faced with a choice between a permanent backstop, i.e. the EU in effect annexing part of the UK, and no deal, the Cabinet would opt for the latter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

The Cabinet will agree to the 'get out clause' May fudges with Barnier ie the backstop will be permanent but in theory can be ended if a technical solution found to the Irish border. Barely any Cabinet Ministers, certainly not Hunt or Javid or Hinds or Hammond or Clarke or Lewis or Wright or Hancock or Liddington are going to back No Deal. So a deal will be made even if largely on Barnier's terms.

Leadsom, McVey and Mourdaunt may resign but so be it, the ERG may be furious but tough, there is no majority in the Cabinet or in Parliament for No Deal so we head ineluctably for a deal even if it is largely BINO
    Who determines if a 'technical solution' is found? If its the EU then f##k off.
  • Options
    Lib Dem gain in Hertfordshire. It's in the Lib Dem stronghold of Three Rivers.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

I think that faced with a choice between a permanent backstop, i.e. the EU in effect annexing part of the UK, and no deal, the Cabinet would opt for the latter.
    I hope you're right but think you're wrong. Faced with that choice the Prime Minister should have opted for the latter but hasn't, why will the Cabinet be any better?
  • Options

geoffw said:

An uncomfortable one which the government are in reality completely unprepared for logistically, which could crash the economy and could lead Scotland to vote for independence and NI for a United Ireland.

So despite paying lip service to No Deal May has no intention whatsoever of not agreeing a deal with the EU even if it ends up largely dictated by Barnier
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Who determines if a 'technical solution' is found? If its the EU then f##k off.
    In effect the EU of course but in theory May can still use that as the get out clause to save face and she will
  • Options

slade said:

Rand al'Thor is represented by a Lib Dem?
    and he is a restaurateur (sp?)
  • Options

Chris_A said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Emergency departments:

Psychiatrists:

£65 one-off fee isn't that much relatively, it's from memory less (or comparable) than the cost of a new passport. Though I see no reason why employers shouldn't pay it if they want to.
    Anyone non British or non white has been: Windrush, DNA tests, refusal of visas for conferences, hostile environment, need for £50k salary...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

geoffw said:

To say it is not viable is to miss the point. Compared to what?

We are running out of options.
    Current status, doubtful that is available.
    All in, that may be available if we are committed.
    No deal is obviously available.
    Negotiated settlement not available if it is one that satisfies a majority.
    And chequers. No idea!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Former Australian PM Tony Abbott 'How to Save Brexit' -'Britain has nothing to fear from No Deal'. Looks like Archer is not the only Aussie backing No Deal hard Brexit by the Barbie Down Under

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/10/tony-abbott-how-to-save-brexit/

https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/1055342489702264833?s=20
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

and the Green was a Roan Alder.
  • Options
    Con hold East Dorset.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

I hope you're right but think you're wrong. Faced with that choice the Prime Minister should have opted for the latter but hasn't, why will the Cabinet be any better?
    Because the Attorney General has been apprising them of the deplorable implications of the backstop.
  • Options
    Lib Dem gain in Mendip.
  • Options
    Con hold in Suffolk(just).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    GIN1138 said:

To think people cheered when she beat Ed Balls.
    My mate, her constituent, thinks her local work is much inferior to his too.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Emergency departments:

Psychiatrists:

Edit: apologies I must to bed (for tomorrow we rise at dawn...) I will def look at your answer in the morning. Thanks.
    This was filmed up the road from me in Nottingham:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0657405

Cancelling patients because of bed shortages has been going on all summer in my Trust, with plans to cancel several thousand more operations over the winter, so that the beds and staff can be used for medical admissions. Theatres will sit idle and staff will become demoralised and leave.

Leicester actually is better than the national average with social care, despite the East Midlands being the most understaffed region of the whole UK medically, but it is pretty depressing and wasteful.

We have some mothballed wards in the hospitals but cannot staff them. Of our cohort of Spanish nurses from 2 years ago, only one remains. It is pretty grim and unsafe.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Emergency departments:

Psychiatrists:

Cancelling patients because of bed shortages has been going on all summer in my Trust, with plans to cancel several thousand more operations over the winter, so that the beds and staff can be used for medical admissions. Theatres will sit idle and staff will become demoralised and leave.

Leicester actually is better than the national average with social care, despite the East Midlands being the most understaffed region of the whole UK medically, but it is pretty depressing and wasteful.

We have some mothballed wards in the hospitals but cannot staff them. Of our cohort of Spanish nurses from 2 years ago, only one remains. It is pretty grim and unsafe.

Have they gone home to Spain to care for Spanish patients after the Spanish paid for training them?
  • Options
    Con hold in Sutton but a 10% swing to the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

like it.

This is my reading of the situation. The ERG or whoever want to act but they want reason to act. May is very good at saying to people what they want to hear and kicking decision down the road, so she is denying them the opportunity to act with reason. It is foolish to say they won’t act, but to do so without good reason, because of distrust in May, rather than in opposition to a concrete measure risks them being portrayed as unprincipled, or against any deal. May is very resilient, but eventually she wil
    Run out of road
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    philiph said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

There are widespread vacancies in the

Have they gone home to Spain to care for Spanish patients after the Spanish paid for training them?
    Mostly.

The shift in exchange rate, improving Spanish economy, and Brexit have all combined to create an exodus.

Spanish nurses arrived with degrees and enthusiasm, but short on frontline experience. We give them that by the bucketload, and 2 years later they are highly employable in Spain. The postgrad training is done here.

But if they come to train in say breast surgery, or orthopedics and spend their days looking after respiratory or dementia patients, they go elsewhere. I don't blame them. I am planning the same next year.
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

Ah I deleted my comment as I realised it was Two Rivers not Three Rivers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mostly.

The shift in exchange rate, improving Spanish economy, and Brexit have all combined to create an exodus.

Spanish nurses arrived with degrees and enthusiasm, but short on frontline experience. We give them that by the bucketload, and 2 years later they are highly employable in Spain. The postgrad training is done here.

If they want to go home then good luck to them, there's no shame in that for anyone. The danger of relying upon people who by their very nature are prepared to be mobile and move. If they moved once they could move again, just got to be realistic about that.
  • Options

Yes we have more than enough needs but no-one to staff then too. There again we should have moved into our bright shiny new hospital last week. It'll now be be 2022... What a great benefit PFI was and what a saving to the public purse.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Cyclefree said:

I do wonder whether those eminent Parliamentarians so willing to name Philip Green will be equally willing to name - for our benefit and that of staff in Parliamejnt - the names of those MPs and Commons staff who have been accused of sexual harassment and bullying.

I mean, if Green is to be named, then the same rule should apply to MPs. They wouldn’t like us to think that they are using their power to keep their secrets safe, would they?

Today’s Times leads me to conclude (again) that most MPs (a) believe they’re above the law; and (b) when given the choice of rule of law or mob, instinctively defer to mob.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Just joining the thread.

The Archer-Aussie Ergers are all push and no piss.

As I said many days ago.

The letters remain constant at 47.9
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

To think people cheered when she beat Ed Balls.
    My mate, her constituent, thinks her local work is much inferior to his too.
    Jenkyns is another Brexiteer moron. There are many ro spot, around and about.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Mostly.

If they want to go home then good luck to them, there's no shame in that for anyone. The danger of relying upon people who by their very nature are prepared to be mobile and move. If they moved once they could move again, just got to be realistic about that.
    Sure, healthcare has always been high turnover of staff, which is why training is so integral to keeping staffing levels up. Also why the 90% drop in new nurses from the EU is such an issue.

There is a worldwide shortage of nurses and doctors, a highly mobile workforce. If you want to emigrate to Australasia, get a nursing degree and the visa is yours.
  • Options
    I hope Nandy and other sensible Labour figures with leave constituencies back May's deal that she is pushing for, the customs transition territory is essentially the same as Corbyn's customs union; at least till the next General Election - at which point if Labour win they can simply extend it indefinitely.

It would be absolute madness to risk the possibility of "No deal" for narrow party gain.
  • Options
    I hope the EU are sensible enough to offer it too.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mostly.

Sure, healthcare has always been high turnover of staff, which is why training is so integral to keeping staffing levels up. Also why the 90% drop in new nurses from the EU is such an issue.

There is a worldwide shortage of nurses and doctors, a highly mobile workforce. If you want to emigrate to Australasia, get a nursing degree and the visa is yours.
    Is not the real issue that as a country we can not be bothered to train enough nurses. I can remember listening to the head of the nurses union on the radio a couple of years ago and she said that we needed to train 25K nurses per year and we trained 18K or so. The number of applicants was 100K per year of which 50k had the sufficient skills/qualis.
  • Options
    Just took the 9£ at 34/36 on Nandy. She doesn't deserve to be quite that long for next Labour leader - perhaps 20-1 or so I think.
  • Options
    Good QT performance from her anyhow
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mostly.

Contrariwise Javid tells all but 2% or so of foreign nurses that they're not wanted.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Emergency departments:

Psychiatrists:

Anyone non British or non white has been: Windrush, DNA tests, refusal of visas for conferences, hostile environment, need for £50k salary...
    Why is non EU migration so high with these massive hurdles lol. Is it the old chestnut of err 'family' migration ;p ?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The backstop will never be acceptable. There is nothing ‘moderate’ or ‘pragmatic’ about accepting a giant leap towards the policy goals of Irish nationalists, without even consulting the population of Northern Ireland.

If Theresa May thinks that’s acceptable she shouldn’t be a councillor, let alone PM.
  • Options
    I think we have a very clear landing zone now. We can see the deal. Which leaves us with two variables. #1 How likely is May to be toppled before she signs ? #2 Interchange between the numbers of Flints/Nandys and ERGers.

Given that there is no credible alternative to a Deal and there is no credible alternative Deal you'd have to now bet on May pulling it off. Getting it signed, getting it through the initial stages. Though I'd also say the odds of her going very quickly after that have shorted dramaticlly.
  • Options

I think we have a very clear landing zone now. We can see the deal. Which leaves us with two variables. #1 How likely is May to be toppled before she signs ? #2 Interchange between the numbers of Flints/Nandys and ERGers.

Given that there is no credible alternative to a Deal and there is no credible alternative Deal you'd have to now bet on May pulling it off. Getting it signed, getting it through the initial stages. Though I'd also say the odds of her going very quickly after that have shorted dramaticlly.

Agreed. MPs who have allowed this to progress this far and going to stop now. They're cowards and I'm ashamed of them.
    RoyalBlue said:

The backstop will never be acceptable. There is nothing ‘moderate’ or ‘pragmatic’ about accepting a giant leap towards the policy goals of Irish nationalists, without even consulting the population of Northern Ireland.

If Theresa May thinks that’s acceptable she shouldn’t be a councillor, let alone PM.

That comment applies to this post too.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Talking about planes - I assume someone has posted about Boeing bringing a new plant to UK?

The last four major British military aircraft purchases (P-8, AH-64E, 737AEW&C and CH-47) have gone to Boeing in single source, uncontested procurements. That's about 6-7bn quid and for that handsome sum Boeing are creating 50 jobs in Sheffield.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2018
    I presume the course material isn’t based on his UK work....

https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1055522512094851077?s=21
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

The last four major British military aircraft purchases (P-8, AH-64E, 737AEW&C and CH-47) have gone to Boeing in single source, uncontested procurements. That's about 6-7bn quid and for that handsome sum Boeing are creating 50 jobs in Sheffield.
    How much did each job at BAE Woodford (and RR Deutschland for the engines) cost for 9/10th of FA?
This discussion has been closed.