Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB MidTerms Prize Competition – did you get closest to the

Comments

• Options

Dura_Ace said:

DD was being touted as a caretaker PM about 3 weeks ago. Which might have actually been 15 minutes or a year due to Brexit time dilation effects.

The comments from Raab and Davis in this thread show perfectly the combination of ignorance, arrogance and lack of realism which pervades the whole Leave prospectus. It's beyond believe that Raab can claim he did not know how dependent the UK is on cross-channel trade and Davis's lack of self-awareness is staggering - the idea that this man is a serious leadership contender shows is symptomatic of the fantasy world in which most senior politicians seem to exist these days.

As we know, our Bucanneers had years and years to learn about all the issues. Not one of them could be arsed to do it.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

The assault on Scruton is interesting. Most of the screen grabs seem to end at very strange points halfway through sentences or paragraphs. They are certainly trying quite hard.

Fox hunting? Meh.

Statement from Professor Sir Roger Scruton:

“Following my appointment as the unpaid chairman of the Government’s advisory committee on Building Better, Building Beautiful, I have been offended and hurt by suggestions I am anti-Semitic or in any way ‘Islamophobic’.

“Nothing could be further from the truth, and I wish to rebut these incorrect assertions...”

https://www.roger-scruton.com/articles/20-latest/550-statement-from-professor-sir-roger-scruton
    The next assault on him will be his views on date rape.

It is all very depressing. All of us are a mixture of good and bad. The very same people who refuse to accept any fault at all in Corbyn over his attitudes to Jews and anti-semitism are all too willing to lob accusations of fascism and anti-semitism at people for not sharing a "received opinion". Most of the people who make these sorts of accusations are almost certainly guilty of the same sort of behaviour they condemn. Look at the vegan lady who received those stupid emails from the Waitrose editor. It turned out that she said "Good!" when seven people died in a Spanish bull run. Celebrating the death of people is, IMO, far more worthy of condemnation than an utterly bad taste joke. Why is it any less worthy of condemnation, for instance, than those idiots burning a model Grenfell Tower last week?

This sort of behaviour is utterly infantile, quite frightening in its implications and far too similar to the sort of behaviour exhibited like Trump for comfort.
    I tend to agree.
    If the post to which he was being appointed had anything to do with social policy, I could entirely understand why he might be thought a totally unsuitable choice. His is, to put it politely, a bit of a plonker, with decidedly eccentric, and erratically argued philosophical views.
    But the built environment ?
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/753671/Building_Better_Commission_Submission_-_ToR.pdf
    I'm not sure how much of an expert he is on this, but he has at least published on the subject, albeit quite some time ago.
    Set against that, surely the chair of anything has to be some sort of consensus figure, and I can see the argument for his not being a great choice to lead something like this, as opposed to contribute to it.
    Having Toby Young (who started ranting paranoically about 'Maoists') on R4 this morning as your advocate probably doesn't help.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

The assault on Scruton is interesting. Most of the screen grabs seem to end at very strange points halfway through sentences or paragraphs. They are certainly trying quite hard.

Fox hunting? Meh.

Statement from Professor Sir Roger Scruton:

“Following my appointment as the unpaid chairman of the Government’s advisory committee on Building Better, Building Beautiful, I have been offended and hurt by suggestions I am anti-Semitic or in any way ‘Islamophobic’.

“Nothing could be further from the truth, and I wish to rebut these incorrect assertions...”

https://www.roger-scruton.com/articles/20-latest/550-statement-from-professor-sir-roger-scruton
    The next assault on him will be his views on date rape.

This sort of behaviour is utterly infantile, quite frightening in its implications and far too similar to the sort of behaviour exhibited like Trump for comfort.
    I tend to agree.
    If the post to which he was being appointed had anything to do with social policy, I could entirely understand why he might be thought a totally unsuitable choice. His is, to put it politely, a bit of a plonker, with decidedly eccentric, and erratically argued philosophical views.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/753671/Building_Better_Commission_Submission_-_ToR.pdf
    I'm not sure how much of an expert he is on this, but he has at least published on the subject, albeit quite some time ago.
    Set against that, surely the chair of anything has to be some sort of consensus figure, and I can see the argument for his not being a great choice to lead something like this, as opposed to contribute to it.
    Having Toby Young (who started ranting paranoically about 'Maoists') on R4 this morning as your advocate probably doesn't help.
    Having TY on R4 doesn't help anything very much.
    Apart from those suffering from unduly low blood pressure, I guess.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    Dura_Ace said:

Scruton is virulently pro fox hunting so he can go and fuck himself. Twice in all holes.
    Being pro-fox hunting is a point in his favour.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No, Davis is right on that.

The EU sell us twice as much in goods as we sell them. That imbalance accounts for the whole of the UK's huge and ultimately unsustainable overall trade deficit. That is not a "success" for the UK.
  • Options

Has this been posted? These quotes from Raab surely can’t be genuine.
    https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1060447868107046912?s=21

Perhaps Raab does not read pb where in the past we have spoken about the need for frictionless trade, of customs unions (and "a" versus "the"), of the gravitational model of international trade, and so on and so forth. We have even often discussed how best to turn Kent into lorry parks. Personally I blame RCS for not having made videos to help the dimmer Cabinet members.

I just hope that when seen in full context, Raab was actually making fun of the headbangers. It is too depressing otherwise.
  • Options

From NYTimes.Arizona.
    Martha McSally
    Republican
    856,848 49.4%
    Kyrsten Sinema
    Democrat
    839,775 48.4
    Angela Green
    Green
    38,978 2.2

Blast,damn and bollocks.

Looks like the Green might have cost the Dems the seat.
    Did I read somewhere that Green had withdrawn & endorsed Sinema, but her name couldn't be taken off the ballot at that stage?
    Apparently so:
    https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/01/green-party-senate-candidate-endorses-democrat-kyrsten-sinema/1851848002/

Quite how they felt running in the election would help anyone but Trump, whose environmental policies are dramatically worse than any differences they might have with the Democrats, is utterly beyond me.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Dura_Ace said:

DD was being touted as a caretaker PM about 3 weeks ago. Which might have actually been 15 minutes or a year due to Brexit time dilation effects.

The comments from Raab and Davis in this thread show perfectly the combination of ignorance, arrogance and lack of realism which pervades the whole Leave prospectus. It's beyond believe that Raab can claim he did not know how dependent the UK is on cross-channel trade and Davis's lack of self-awareness is staggering - the idea that this man is a serious leadership contender shows is symptomatic of the fantasy world in which most senior politicians seem to exist these days.

As we know, our Bucanneers had years and years to learn about all the issues. Not one of them could be arsed to do it.

And it's not only the buccaneers - I was at a presentation by a well-known city fund manager the other day. He gravely opined that, whilst Brexit was an economic negative, the Chequers deal would minimise the impact in sectors other than services. The fact the the EU has comprehensively rejected Chequers seemed to have passed him by.

A lot of people are going to have a very nasty shock in the next few weeks IMO.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

From NYTimes.Arizona.
    Martha McSally
    Republican
    856,848 49.4%
    Kyrsten Sinema
    Democrat
    839,775 48.4
    Angela Green
    Green
    38,978 2.2

Blast,damn and bollocks.

Did I read somewhere that Green had withdrawn & endorsed Sinema, but her name couldn't be taken off the ballot at that stage?
    Apparently so:
    https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/01/green-party-senate-candidate-endorses-democrat-kyrsten-sinema/1851848002/

Quite how they felt running in the election would help anyone but Trump, whose environmental policies are dramatically worse than any differences they might have with the Democrats, is utterly beyond me.

That’s the far left for you.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No, he really isn't.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They hadn't quite understood that it might be important, and in any event, worrying about minor details would be pandering to Project Fear...
  • Options

Perhaps Raab does not read pb where in the past we have spoken about the need for frictionless trade, of customs unions (and "a" versus "the"), of the gravitational model of international trade, and so on and so forth. We have even often discussed how best to turn Kent into lorry parks. Personally I blame RCS for not having made videos to help the dimmer Cabinet members.

I just hope that when seen in full context, Raab was actually making fun of the headbangers. It is too depressing otherwise.
    Maybe routing so much freight through a single port is not a wise idea.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Well, we've got a month or two to sort that one out.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Sean_F said:

No, perhaps we could ask the Netherlands or Germany to move a bit closer so that Dover Calais is not the only short route?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,630
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/ProfBrianCox/status/1060474762936442882
    He doesn't seem to understand JIT which is very worrying. Quote 'particularly for JIT goods whether it be pharmaceutical goods or perishable good like food'. Neither of those are JIT goods and although they are also important issues re timing neither (particularly pharmaceuticals) has the same time issue as JIT.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Routing freight to and from your largest market though the closest port is a great idea.

Telling your largest market to fuck off is not a wise idea, but we voted for it...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

blockquote>

I tend to agree.
    That last is a fair point. But then we have to be consistent. There are many people in public life who have expressed some really quite appalling views but it doesn't stop them being appointed to public positions. Sauce for the goose and all that.

Or we could be grown up and pick people who have something of value to contribute.

Personally I'm fed up with this sort of infantile behaviour. I would like those in charge to have a bit of courage when they make decisions. Do their due diligence before making appointments and then face down, if necessary, those throwing stones from glasshouses. And, if necessary, point out their own utter hypocrisy.

I have no idea whether Scruton is the right person - from an architectural perspective - to chair this committee. But his views on fox-hunting are irrelevant to that. I heard him at a recent IQ debate (on a completely different topic) and he was actually very good in the debate and helped win it.

It would also be good for government to reach out beyond the usual well-known people. I am quite certain that there must be plenty of people with real knowledge of issues who could be co-opted to share their knowledge and perspectives but who don't fall within the usual circle of suspects who seem to get picked up time after time.
  • Options
    kjh said:

He doesn't seem to understand JIT which is very worrying.

None of the Brexiteers seem to have any clue about very much, which is indeed worrying.

It was also obvious before the vote, and dismissed as "Project Fear"
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998

No, perhaps we could ask the Netherlands or Germany to move a bit closer so that Dover Calais is not the only short route?

We can do land reclaimation on the Dogger Bank as a nation building project.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

From NYTimes.Arizona.
    Martha McSally
    Republican
    856,848 49.4%
    Kyrsten Sinema
    Democrat
    839,775 48.4
    Angela Green
    Green
    38,978 2.2

Blast,damn and bollocks.

Apparently so:

That’s the far left for you.

Greens ≠ far left.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

From a strategic point of view, making use of several ports makes sense. Giving the President of France the ability to shut down a substantial part of our foreign trade was not wise.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Don't tell Boris - he'll want to stick an airport on it.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2018
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

From a strategic point of view, making use of several ports makes sense. Giving the President of France the ability to shut down a substantial part of our foreign trade was not wise.
    It's all Bloody Mary's fault. If it wasn't for her, we'd still have Calais.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

From a strategic point of view, making use of several ports makes sense.

Increasing transport costs doesn't make much sense
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's all Bloody Mary's fault. If it wasn't for her, we'd still have Calais.
    All this could be solved by getting the French to honour the Treaty of Troyes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It’s worse than that. He’s formed a union of all our other neighbours and then tricked us into voting to leave it so that we’re isolated.
  • Options
    Scottish not British

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/harris-tweed-in-row-over-scottish-goods-branding-mv229vq9x

Foreigner tries to sell stuff.

Union flag better selling tool than Saltire.

Nats prefer to sell less stuff.....
  • Options
    kjh said:

Scott_P said:

He doesn't seem to understand JIT which is very worrying. Quote 'particularly for JIT goods whether it be pharmaceutical goods or perishable good like food'. Neither of those are JIT goods and although they are also important issues re timing neither (particularly pharmaceuticals) has the same time issue as JIT.

Raab is supposed to be one of the smarter Tory Bucanneers! Can you imagine them negotiating or running anything? They are, quite literally, clueless.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

In fact of course we use a range of ports. This is worth a read:

https://www.britishports.org.uk/system/files/documents/prospects_for_trade_and_britains_maritime_ports.pdf

"Dover is the dominant port for EU trade, accounting for 22% of the total (exports plus imports)."

78% of EU trade goes through ports other than Dover.
  • Options

kjh said:

Scott_P said:

Raab is supposed to be one of the smarter Tory Bucanneers! Can you imagine them negotiating or running anything? They are, quite literally, clueless.

Was he talking at a school visit? Sounds like he's trying to explain it to a bunch of 8 year olds.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It’s worse than that. He’s formed a union of all our other neighbours and then tricked us into voting to leave it so that we’re isolated.
    Alternatively, one could conclude that joining a union that can do you a lot of harm if you try to leave it was not a sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    Luddite here! How do I copy a picture into the comment box please? I used snipping tool and copy and paste, but got nowt.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Dura_Ace said:

Ben, unfair. He's moved on. He'll just want to build a *bridge* to it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Luddite here! How do I copy a picture into the comment box please? I used snipping tool and copy and paste, but got nowt.

Is it a picture off the internet?

If so, switch to vanilla forums, and post it that way.

It gives you an option to add pictures.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ben, unfair. He's moved on. He'll just want to build a *bridge* to it.
    Haha. But no need if you put London's 3rd airport on it. You could just fly there to, er, take a flight... :wink:
  • Options

kjh said:

Scott_P said:

Was he talking at a school visit? Sounds like he's trying to explain it to a bunch of 8 year olds.

He’s explaining it to himself.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Raab is extremely overrated as a politician.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The President of France can’t do that while we’re in the EU.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:
    I stuck a tenner on at 6.2 because it seems way closer than the odds are implying due to historical counting quirks.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

As it happens I think honoring the memory of a Nazi collaborator is a bad thing but I was highly amused by the proximity of Carlotta's posts.

Sorry, I did guess that. I'm intrigued to know why Macron is doing this. Is there a campaign for him to be honoured?
    I wonder if Macron is trying to outflank (or neuter) Le Pen?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Interestingly Tester has extended his lead beyond that which the New York Times originally predicted. It looks like his final margin will be 3.5%.

Interesting but historical news you may say - well not entirely. The Arizona race could follow the same script, with first a slightly widening GOP lead - but as the slower counting Dem city areas (The counties in Az are very large so probably not entirely homogenous) come in,... personally I think it will tighten.

I have £20 at even money on Sinema and I don't believe the bet is dead yet !

Let's see.

Arizona is very very slow at counting too so this will take a while.

In theory we could still end up with no change in the Senate, however unlikely that is.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kjh said:

IANE but... I always find it easier to post without the picture then edit your post straightaway and you get a little image icon at the top of the edit box. Click on that and you can paste the image URL into the box that pops up.

After which you just wave your magic wand while saying 'imageappeario' three times.
  • Options

kjh said:

Scott_P said:

Sadly they are currently "running" the country. Whether the country will survive the experience remains to be seen.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:
    I stuck a tenner on at 6.2 because it seems way closer than the odds are implying due to historical counting quirks.
    I've topped up the same :)
  • Options
    Still struggling with this respiratory infection but just want to say a huge thank you to all the posters who have been so kind in sending their wishes to both my wife and my recovery which slowly continues

Reading through this thread and in particular David Davis and Dominic Raabs comments just makes one despair. They just have not thought this through and it seems we are going to end up in BINO which suits no one.

Dominic Grieve on Sky this morning talking absolute sense and it does make you wonder if remain will actually win the day. I am very conflicted on the whole issue
  • Options

kjh said:

Scott_P said:

This notion that Leavers were best placed to manage Brexit because of their 'passion, commitment and belief' has been reduced to a hollow mockery. Remainers, whose legitimate concerns were based on forensic analysis and a sweeping comprehension of the problems ahead, are most qualified. Theresa, just sack Raab. Get Anna Soubry in post. Now!
  • Options

kjh said:

Yes.

I did say Luddite! Vanilla forums?

Thanks TSE - additional info needed though.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @Alistair Which side did you bet in Nevada ? I remember you advocating a position there, were you right ?
  • Options

Still struggling with this respiratory infection but just want to say a huge thank you to all the posters who have been so kind in sending their wishes to both my wife and my recovery which slowly continues

Reading through this thread and in particular David Davis and Dominic Raabs comments just makes one despair. They just have not thought this through and it seems we are going to end up in BINO which suits no one.

Dominic Grieve on Sky this morning talking absolute sense and it does make you wonder if remain will actually win the day. I am very conflicted on the whole issue

Despite what David Davis says, I expect that the Commons will vote in favour of the Withdrawal Agreement, because the alternatives are too unpleasant.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I know that it is deeply depressing to discover that members of the Cabinet have only just discovered we are an island.

But the news that poor Mrs Bibi is still in Pakistan - though out of prison and presumably in hiding from her own government - and not on her way to freedom (as was thought yesterday evening) is even more depressing. She faces death. We just face potential chaos, humiliation and being the butt of others' contempt and pity.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Alistair Which side did you bet in Nevada ? I remember you advocating a position there, were you right ?

I no betted on Nevada but I had been advocating the Democrat if you were going to bet. The party registration and early vote in Clark and Washoe pointed to good Dem performance.

But...

The Republicans were trying a new turnout strategy and the polls hadn't been looking great for the Dems so that's why I'd not bet.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

kjh said:

Scott_P said:

This notion that Leavers were best placed to manage Brexit because of their 'passion, commitment and belief' has been reduced to a hollow mockery. Remainers, whose legitimate concerns were based on forensic analysis and a sweeping comprehension of the problems ahead, are most qualified. Theresa, just sack Raab. Get Anna Soubry in post. Now!
    Anna Soubry is one of the biggest idiots in parliament. Even Cameron overlooked her for any decent roles.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Yes.

See my post below - it does work...

• Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Yes.

Click here.

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2079102/#Comment_2079102

Scroll to the bottom and go to the comment box, just above where it says 'Type your comment' there's a row of buttons, third from the right is the picture box, click that, and post the url of where your picture is, and Robert's your father's brother.

Note, make sure the url is of the website of where just the picture is displayed.

So if you wanted to use the picture atop this Telegraph article use,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/royal-family/2018/11/08/TELEMMGLPICT000178986387_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqoy0UijBRPlBgfQSD9mX1zUYMapKPjdhyLnv9ax6_too.jpeg?imwidth=1400

Not, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2018/11/08/wont-meddling-king-prince-charles-says-speaks-reign-first-time/
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Scott_P said:

The EU sell us twice as much in goods as we sell them. That imbalance accounts for the whole of the UK's huge and ultimately unsustainable overall trade deficit. That is not a "success" for the UK.
    How could Ian Dunt think otherwise? Seems bizarre that these bloggers who purport to be journalists get so much attention on twitter despite having such a basic understanding of European trade.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Despite what David Davis says, I expect that the Commons will vote in favour of the Withdrawal Agreement, because the alternatives are too unpleasant.
    But will the Cabinet manage to vote in favour of the withdrawal agreement, with added vassalage, for that's what they will have to vote for. The EUs position is clear - an indefinite Irish backstop or no deal. Quibbling about legal advice and exact wordings will not change this fundamental.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What's wrong with mocking people who live on housing estates?

As a child I used to laugh at all those houses stuck together.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I no betted on Nevada but I had been advocating the Democrat if you were going to bet. The party registration and early vote in Clark and Washoe pointed to good Dem performance.

But...

The Republicans were trying a new turnout strategy and the polls hadn't been looking great for the Dems so that's why I'd not bet.
    Polling wasn't too bad in Nevada.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/nv/nevada_senate_heller_vs_rosen-6304.html#polls

The hoosier state was the only real polling failure this time round that I can see.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    What's wrong with mocking people who live on housing estates?

As a child I used to laugh at all those houses stuck together.
    I am glad I don't watch much TV if this is what is on it.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    1. Bookseller 48.35
    2. Y Bardd Cwsc 48.28
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/nv/nevada_senate_heller_vs_rosen-6304.html#polls

The hoosier state was the only real polling failure this time round that I can see.
    Florida too. The polling only gave a small Democratic lead, but it was consistent.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    Scott_P said:
    Beginning to sound a lot like Cameron's "renegotiation". And as well received......
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But...

Florida too. The polling only gave a small Democratic lead, but it was consistent.
    Wrong.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/fl/florida_senate_scott_vs_nelson-6246.html#polls

A deviation of 2.6 from the polling average is certainly not a failure.

Missouri was however, Ohio too and Tennessee.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

BINO is exactly what the referendum result implied. May should've been honest about that from day one.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Deleted
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Beginning to sound a lot like Cameron's "renegotiation". And as well received......
    Well, I did tell you that Cameron's deal was as good as it gets. Why would anyone expect a negotiation under duress to produce something better?
  • Options
    I can see the campaign posters already.

TRUMP

Vs

Beaten O'Rourke

WH2020
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Sean_F said:

It's all about the Holy Trinity now: Labour leadership, ERG, & DUP.
    There aren't anywhere near enough (Labour) rebels to get the deal through, if all 3 vote against the Deal.
    Although their reasons are different, they all hate the deal enough and are entrenched to make supporting it difficult.

The one I see as impossible to budge is the Labour party; all their groundwork (6 tests etc) has been for voting against, and with no prospect of their tests being met, hatred of the Tories, and the strong movements for a 2nd vote and causing a fresh election, hard to see where any scope for compromise comes from - but the Tories might peel off a rebel or two more. Ultimately Theresa has rejected every attempt to reach out across party in negotiations, and she will reap what she has sown.

The DUP - they've folded over the budget and there are noises off, as well as distractions over the RHI enquiry now being written. I can see them finding reasons to support 'with great reluctance.'

The ERG - seem to have got more coherent over the past few weeks, even though they still don't have a plan that would survive contact outside their meetings, there are only so many pluses you can put after the word 'Canada' before it gets tricky. But there seem to be those set against, so maybe it's about May picking off individuals.

Still hard to see where that Commons majority comes from.

• Options

I can see the campaign posters already.

TRUMP

Vs

Beaten O'Rourke

WH2020

I would expect Trump to call him Betty.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But...

The betting markets were more optimistic for the Dems than the polling was, main reason I didn't bet as I didn't think it looked value.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Surely Raab will have to resign. He's become a laughing stock. Serious question: does Dr David Owen still have all his marbles? He's be a great replacement. Eurosceptic (to appease the wallbangers) but vastly experienced in international negotiations. What's not to like?
  • Options
    After the events of this week in Trumpton and Brexit, can anyone seriously make the case for this not being the darkest timeline...
  • Options
    Hmm - so I don't need to write off my AZ bet quite yet?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But...

Wrong.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/fl/florida_senate_scott_vs_nelson-6246.html#polls

A deviation of 2.6 from the polling average is certainly not a failure.

Missouri was however, Ohio too and Tennessee.
    Fair enough. Indiana was a failure though

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/in/indiana_senate_braun_vs_donnelly-6573.html
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Thanks TSE and Benpointer but I am clearly too stupid.
  • Options

Surely Raab will have to resign. He's become a laughing stock.

The entire UK is a laughing stock due to Brexit. He is very clearly representing the brand
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

After the events of this week in Trumpton and Brexit, can anyone seriously make the case for this not being the darkest timeline...

Farage doesn't have a peerage. That's a definite deviation from the darkest timeline.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    tpfkar said:

Sean_F said:

There aren't anywhere near enough (Labour) rebels to get the deal through, if all 3 vote against the Deal.
    Although their reasons are different, they all hate the deal enough and are entrenched to make supporting it difficult.

The one I see as impossible to budge is the Labour party; all their groundwork (6 tests etc) has been for voting against, and with no prospect of their tests being met, hatred of the Tories, and the strong movements for a 2nd vote and causing a fresh election, hard to see where any scope for compromise comes from - but the Tories might peel off a rebel or two more. Ultimately Theresa has rejected every attempt to reach out across party in negotiations, and she will reap what she has sown.

The DUP - they've folded over the budget and there are noises off, as well as distractions over the RHI enquiry now being written. I can see them finding reasons to support 'with great reluctance.'

The ERG - seem to have got more coherent over the past few weeks, even though they still don't have a plan that would survive contact outside their meetings, there are only so many pluses you can put after the word 'Canada' before it gets tricky. But there seem to be those set against, so maybe it's about May picking off individuals.

I'm not convinced that the ERG will fight to the bitter end, and I think there could be quite a lot of Labour abstentions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited November 2018

Scott_P said:
    Surely Raab will have to resign. He's become a laughing stock. Serious question: does Dr David Owen still have all his marbles? He's be a great replacement. Eurosceptic (to appease the wallbangers) but vastly experienced in international negotiations. What's not to like?
    Dr David Owen.

David Owen was a very self-centred person. He was good-looking, he was intelligent, he had immense charm and all these presents were given to him by the good fairy and then the bad fairy came along and tapped him on the shoulder and said, ‘… but you’ll be a shit.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/07/denis-healey-technicolor-politician-labour-chancellor
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "This deal brings the country back together" is a good bit. I mean, everyone despises it but for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Seeing as Petain is on the menu, is May leading us to a Vichy Brexit?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

So you're expecting the UK to be occupied by German soldiers?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kjh said:

Thanks TSE and Benpointer but I am clearly too stupid.

One further tip is where you see an image you want to post right-click on that image and select 'open image in a new tab', go to that tab and copy the URL, paste that URL into the image box when editing your original post.

Voilà:

• Options
    Is Beto a muslim name?

Was Beto born outside the USA?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited November 2018
    Sean_F said:

tpfkar said:

Sean_F said:

I'm not convinced that the ERG will fight to the bitter end, and I think there could be quite a lot of Labour abstentions.
    You may be right on the ERG - but it looks to me like several Tory posters are convinced there will be lots of Labour abstentions, and the Labour posters aren't.

Are there Labour posters here who can comment - do you think there will be enough Labour votes to see May's deal over the line? Worried it looks like Tory wishful thinking right now.
  • Options

Is Beto a muslim name?

Was Beto born outside the USA?

It's a hispanic diminutive for "Robert".
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Perhaps he's misremembering his John Donne:

Britain is an island, entire of itself...
  • Options
    The Chilcot style inquiry into Brexit is going to shred the reputations of so many politicians, especially the sunlit upland Brexiteers and the ones who thought it would be easy.

https://twitter.com/jason_manc/status/1060497170950950912
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

So you're expecting the UK to be occupied by German soldiers?
    There's a sizable Belgian AF detachment at Otterburn right now. Possible pathfinder force.
This discussion has been closed.