Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mad Tory Friday part 2…..

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mad Tory Friday part 2…..

2pm update: here are the MPs who have admitted sending letters to Graham Brady pic.twitter.com/go6jDLvB3s

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First. Or 67th if the ERG are counting.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Can this really be the same party that eviscerated Thatch and IDS?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Turd.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    I see Zeffman has helpfully added a running braincell tally along the left hand side of his table.
  • Options
    "A Labour MP’s former head of communications felt “morally and legally” obliged to come forward after reading that the politician had tried to avoid a speeding offence on the night she visited him, a court heard.

Dr Christian DeFeo, who also managed campaigns for Onasanya, said he was compelled to contact police this week to tell them she had driven alone to his home near Thornley on the evening her car was recorded travelling at 41mph in a 30mph zone."
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

First. Or 67th if the ERG are counting.

Bravo on using the utterly tiresome first meme for comic effect :)
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    48th!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Only 21? :p
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    GIN1138 said:

No. It is a pale shadow of that party and filled with spineless narcissists with over-active imaginations and being led by a woman with a tin ear...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

"A Labour MP’s former head of communications felt “morally and legally” obliged to come forward after reading that the politician had tried to avoid a speeding offence on the night she visited him, a court heard.

Dr Christian DeFeo, who also managed campaigns for Onasanya, said he was compelled to contact police this week to tell them she had driven alone to his home near Thornley on the evening her car was recorded travelling at 41mph in a 30mph zone."

Bravo to him
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Turd.

Is that the new name for the Conservative party?

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Floater said:

Bravo to him
    I had wondered why she would have been driving along that road.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Unless I misheard, Steve Baker just said on Sky the Brexiteers would "draw lots" to decide who their leadership candidate is. Draw lots. To determine the Prime Minister. This is lunacy. Dan Hodges

Camelot 4PM? Lucky numbers this week 4 and 8
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Going about as well as that coup against Erdogan did..
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    ‏Verified account @DPJHodges
    2m2 minutes ago

Unless I misheard, Steve Baker just said on Sky the Brexiteers would "draw lots" to decide who their leadership candidate is. Draw lots. To determine the Prime Minister. This is lunacy.

What the actual f**king f**k ????

Just think we could be mere days away from Mad Nad becoming Prime Minister! :D
  • Options

The ERGers do sound quite remarkably rattled. Why the panic, if The Deal is certain to be voted down anyway, as they claim?

I think it's because they are worried about what May might offer (referendum) to win support from Labour (on a second vote if necessary).

They don't think she will simply say, "no deal it is then," in the event that she loses the first vote.
    I don't understand that. Why not wait until after the vote and bung in the letters if she then goes down a route they don't like? By striking now, they risk making her stronger in the short term and more able to withstand pressure for a whole year.

The only rational explanation for their behaviour is that they think the deal might pass in the Commons. (Well, I say 'rational', which might be putting it a bit strongly, but you know what I mean.)
    Yes, I agree with your point on timing.

It could simply be a mistake! Or they might fear support for the deal attaining an unstoppable momentum - the disruption of a leadership challenge drowns out all discussion of the deal. Perhaps that is why it is taking them time to put the letters in, to string out the drama and stop the deal from being considered calmly and on its merits.

Also, May dislikes losing votes more than the average PM (and none like it) so perhaps if she didn't have this to worry about she would be able to make offers to Labour to build a coalition of support for the deal. It's not like the deal is all that far from Labour policy.
  • Options
    Not so much coup as coup-coup.
  • Options
    Please tell me this is true. Please ...

I have read that Andrea Leadsom, Chris Grayling, Liam Fox and Penny Mordaunt are going to form a group inside Cabinet to rewrite the Brexit agreement.

Has anyone else seen this?

What more is there to say?

That is genuinely hilarious.
  • Options

Might Peterborough be an abstention for the big vote ?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    FPT:

The ERGers do sound quite remarkably rattled. Why the panic, if The Deal is certain to be voted down anyway, as they claim?

If it gets voted down without them in control then who needs the ERG? They need to look like they are in charge. The problem is, as Mike has pointed out, that if they fail, then they comprehensively prove that they are nothing more than a bunch of fantasists with delusions of grandeur.
    theyre french ?
    The French are looking really good compared to this shower. Maybe the ERG should order up cheese and surrender ....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Just run my eye down the 21. That is one motley crew. It surely boosts TM no end if she has this bunch of bananas wanting rid of her.
  • Options

I have read that Andrea Leadsom, Chris Grayling, Liam Fox and Penny Mordaunt are going to form a group inside Cabinet to rewrite the Brexit agreement.

May (And Barnier) should indulge their little game if this is true - just send Mr Werrity off to Brussels with his "rewritten" document so Barnier can say 'Non' in person to him. Then they might realise !
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2018

It's not a coup. It's using the Conservative party official procedures as JRM has said.

Coup - a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

It's not a coup. It's using the Conservative party official procedures as JRM has said.
    Well this not-a-coup is shambolic.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

I don't know why you are not taking this more seriously. They have prepared thoroughly for this: https://www.partyrama.co.uk/crayons-in-a-box-pack-of-4/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA All&utm_term=1101602799545&utm_content=Ad group #1&gclid=CJH14dGQ2d4CFUtXGwodAEcEXA&gclsrc=ds#fo_c=488&fo_k=e2a943dbee1fed502f6653f2211515e8&fo_s=binggb
  • Options
    Magnificent, it is true. Michael Gove plus the collective brain power of Grayling, Fox, Leadsom and Mordaunt. So, Michael Gove then. Just wonderful :-D
    https://twitter.com/timross_1/status/1063436108703432704?s=21
  • Options
    felix said:

Unless I misheard, Steve Baker just said on Sky the Brexiteers would "draw lots" to decide who their leadership candidate is. Draw lots. To determine the Prime Minister. This is lunacy. Dan Hodges

Camelot 4PM? Lucky numbers this week 4 and 8

Baker said there needs to be a single Brexit candidate to challenge for leadership. So they should go into a room and decide who it should be - by whatever method.
  • Options

I think it's because they are worried about what May might offer (referendum) to win support from Labour (on a second vote if necessary).

They don't think she will simply say, "no deal it is then," in the event that she loses the first vote.
    I don't understand that. Why not wait until after the vote and bung in the letters if she then goes down a route they don't like? By striking now, they risk making her stronger in the short term and more able to withstand pressure for a whole year.

The only rational explanation for their behaviour is that they think the deal might pass in the Commons. (Well, I say 'rational', which might be putting it a bit strongly, but you know what I mean.)

It could simply be a mistake! Or they might fear support for the deal attaining an unstoppable momentum - the disruption of a leadership challenge drowns out all discussion of the deal. Perhaps that is why it is taking them time to put the letters in, to string out the drama and stop the deal from being considered calmly and on its merits.

Also, May dislikes losing votes more than the average PM (and none like it) so perhaps if she didn't have this to worry about she would be able to make offers to Labour to build a coalition of support for the deal. It's not like the deal is all that far from Labour policy.
    I expect Corbyn quite likes the deal actually. Just he prefers being PM more.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    FPT
    stodge said:

I have no evidence for this but my assumption is their assumption is they haven't got enough votes to defeat May but enough to wound.

Nick P asked the question earlier and now I'll ask it - how much of a win does May need? I'd argue that if at least 120 MPs don't vote for her she has to go. I know the rules say 160 supporting is enough but this is politics not a rule book.

Major got 218 votes in 1995 and apparently would have quit had he got less than 214. Thatcher failed the first ballot on the Berkeley rules in 1990 but had it been a straight fight who could have taken her seriously with 170 MPs not supporting her?

Perhaps, as HYUFD has opined and like Corbyn she will play absolutely to the rule book and she has the hide of a rhinoceros (I doubt the latter incidentally) and f she wins 160-158 she will claim victory and carry on but no one will be fooled.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Magnificent, it is true. Michael Gove plus the collective brain power of Grayling, Fox, Leadsom and Mordaunt. So, Michael Gove then. Just wonderful :-D

Good lord. What on earth do they hope to achieve in 1 week? And why didn't they do this say two years ago?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    2m2 minutes ago

Unless I misheard, Steve Baker just said on Sky the Brexiteers would "draw lots" to decide who their leadership candidate is. Draw lots. To determine the Prime Minister. This is lunacy.

Nadine was very kind to me, and offered to look after my two year old son while my five year daughter used the bathroom. So, I will always have a soft spot for her.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Not so much a coup as a hiccoup.
  • Options

• Options

Are you not entertained, are you not entertained? As Jon Stewart once asked after the magnificent Dope Diamond sequence.
  • Options
    Mrs May should announce a referendum in Northern Ireland on that part of her plan. I suspect that it would pass by a large margin.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    2m2 minutes ago

Nadine was very kind to me, and offered to look after my two year old son while my five year daughter used the bathroom. So, I will always have a soft spot for her.
    Good job it wasn't David Cameron you asked.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    rcs1000 said:

Mrs May should announce a referendum in Northern Ireland on that part of her plan. I suspect that it would pass by a large margin.

What would the other option in the referendum be?
  • Options

I honestly think they thought she was a gonner yesterday and wanted to claim the credit. But she is tougher than they thought.
  • Options

The meeting is "next week", because we're not under any time pressures here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good lord. What on earth do they hope to achieve in 1 week? And why didn't they do this say two years ago?
    Davis did it two years ago but was undermined and ignored by May.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

May: in Downing Street, but not in power....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I'd guess that May suggested this as something to keep them busy.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We forget but it took a year between stalking horse challenge and ultimately toppling Thatcher. If it takes a couple of weeks here that will still be expedited compared to that.
  • Options

RobD said:

And it reflects poorly on him that he did not resign earlier. If you are the Brexit secretary, and you are being cut out of the loop, you resign to fight your case.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    2m2 minutes ago

Would having a "soft spot" extend to wanting her to become Prime Minister though? :D
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Research of any sort doesn’t seem to be the ERGs strong point.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No deal.
  • Options

48th!!!

We are the Whips and we know where you live. Kind regards.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Unification of Ireland is the neatest method to solving a future relationship. It'd certainly let the DUP know they've overplayed their hand.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    2m2 minutes ago

Good job it wasn't David Cameron you asked.
    :):):):)

She'd had a few glasses of wine, so I didn't take her up on the offer.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

That's genius.
  • Options
    You know, this is actually a huge opportunity for the Conservative party to see off the moon-howling Buccaneers. I know many good Tories and I cannot believe that any of these ERG cretins, charlatans, liars and simpletons speak for them. Get these loons out, get them gone. Learn from labour before it is too late. This could well be your last chance.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    John_M said:

Not so much a coup as a hiccoup.

Chicken coop?
  • Options
    Mr. D, quite agree.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I expect Corbyn quite likes the deal actually. Just he prefers being PM more.
    Yes. Which is why you'd expect May to lose the first vote on the deal, which brings us back to Richard's question on timing for the ERG coup.

If we go back to expectations before the deal was announced, Richard outlined the scenario where positive momentum for the deal made it politically difficult for Labour to vote against. The actions of the ERG have prevented any such positive momentum from being created, making it easy for Labour to vote against.

So Richard is right. The ERG.fear that if they don't strike now the deal could pass the Commons. Their objective appears to be to prevent it going to a vote.

Re-opening negotiations is a red herring to waste time and take us closer to no deal.
  • Options
    Will anyone want to be Brexit Sec or Work and Pensions Sec under May?

• Options

You know, this is actually a huge opportunity for the Conservative party to see off the moon-howling Buccaneers. I know many good Tories and I cannot believe that any of these ERG cretins, charlatans, liars and simpletons speak for them. Get these loons out, get them gone. Learn from labour before it is too late. This could well be your last chance.

hear hear....
  • Options

I thought Olly Robbins already had the Brexit Sec job?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    RobD said:

To be fair, although there is virtually no wriggle room on the Withdrawal Agreement, there's plenty to discuss on the future relationship, where the document is currently only the broadest of broad outlines. Plus it's actually more important that the Withdrawal Agreement, which relates only to the fairly short-term.
  • Options

I would say the favourite to be Brexit Sec is currently Minister for the Civil Service
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    I don't see what's particularly problematic about that for her. It's not good, clearly, but her problem is she doesn't have the votes for her deal, and if that bunch cannot satisfy themselves, or the EU won't accept their changes, she still doesn't have votes for her deal.
  • Options
    If you are a member of the ERG you should not be permitted to operate heavy machinery, be in any position involving the supervision of children or animals, or be allowed to drive.
  • Options
    felix said:

I'd guess that May suggested this as something to keep them busy.
    OR them to look it into it, and then come back and say TINA. If they produce that, then that also stengthens her hand.
  • Options

RobD said:

And he didn't notice until 1.5 years had elapsed?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

That's genius.
    It'd be a good fireworks night in the fountain were that ever to occur.
  • Options

I would say the favourite to be Brexit Sec is currently Minister for the Civil Service
    Lidders? Well, he was Europe Minster for the entire 2010-15 Parliament.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

rcs1000 said:

Something like this.

Will you:

a. Accept Mrs May's deal.
    b. Be fired into the Sun using Mr Dancer's revolutionary space trebuchet.

It's a win-win.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

And it reflects poorly on him that he did not resign earlier. If you are the Brexit secretary, and you are being cut out of the loop, you resign to fight your case.
    Always a fine balance between staying to fight for the cause and resigning - as Gove is finding.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I have no evidence for this but my assumption is their assumption is they haven't got enough votes to defeat May but enough to wound.

Nick P asked the question earlier and now I'll ask it - how much of a win does May need? I'd argue that if at least 120 MPs don't vote for her she has to go. I know the rules say 160 supporting is enough but this is politics not a rule book.

Major got 218 votes in 1995 and apparently would have quit had he got less than 214. Thatcher failed the first ballot on the Berkeley rules in 1990 but had it been a straight fight who could have taken her seriously with 170 MPs not supporting her?

Perhaps, as HYUFD has opined and like Corbyn she will play absolutely to the rule book and she has the hide of a rhinoceros (I doubt the latter incidentally) and f she wins 160-158 she will claim victory and carry on but no one will be fooled.

I honestly think all she is trying to do right now is ensure MPs do not shirk their responsibility and ensure that they vote on her deal, rather than it never gets to parliament because she is ousted. Whether her deal passes or fails I think it will be the last thing she does as PM (possibly she lasts a couple of months if the deal passes, to see if there is any chance a minority gov would work, which I don't think it would).
  • Options

They don't need the former anyway. The PM makes the calls on Brexit, clearly.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Which nonentity is that then
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Which nonentity is that then
    Lidington?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

No, he's Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Minister for the Civil Service is an ex oficio position
  • Options

They horrify me. They and momentum are one and the same. Extreme to the core and hopefully will be filleted when TM wins her deal or we remain
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited November 2018
    I think it’s getting to the point that May should tell the ERG that if they can’t get the votes by the end of next week for a VONC, and they continue to oppose the government on Brexit, the whip will be withdrawn. If that means a general election that gives Corbyn a majority, thanks to a Tory split, so be it. The ERG, and everyone associated with it, will be finished.

These people are a cancer in the Conservative Party. They must concede or be cut out.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Darn it, I was tricked by the question. That'll be the PM then
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:
    I know according to the Guardian, Superheros are now verboten, but Gove's super power is the ability to start an argument in an empty lift.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Yes, of course...so one T May.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Shesus! Just skimmed through the thread header!

The Tories are an utter shambles!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I think it’s getting to the point that May should tell the ERG that if they can’t get the votes by the end of next week for a VONC, and they continue to oppose the government on Brexit, the whip will be withdrawn. If that means a general election that gives Corbyn a majority, thanks to a Tory split, so be it. The ERG, and everyone associated with it, will be finished.

These people are a cancer in the Conservative Party. They must concede or be cut out.

The Tories will not have or win any majority without their strand of opinion.

But the division has become too deep. Clearly the two sides cannot reconcile over a very critical issue, it is no minor disagreement, and should not be in the same party any longer.

Have the fight, see which side wins, then split.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Moon-howling buccaneeers?

Most ordinary people oppose May's deal and the ERG are representing their views. I realise most people on here want a political class stitch-up to get out of delivering on Brexit, but not everyone shares that view.
  • Options

They horrify me. They and momentum are one and the same. Extreme to the core and hopefully will be filleted when TM wins her deal or we remain
    I really hope that the opportunity is taken to drive these loons out of the party. But first things first. How does Mrs May get her deal? The current threat of talking at people until they agree is very potent but can she drive enough people to tears to carry the House?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018
    https://order-order.com/2018/11/16/baker-confronts-brexit-protestor/

I think if I was Baker I would have then said, "now f##k off and get a job, cos nobody likes you you massive bell-end".

You can hear in the tone of the media just how pissed off with him.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Most ordinary people oppose May's deal and the ERG are representing their views. I realise most people on here want a political class stitch-up to get out of delivering on Brexit, but not everyone shares that view.
    "Most ordinary people oppose May's deal"

Two questions:

1. Is there any evidence for your claim?

2. Should ordinary people get more votes than extraordinary people?
    2a. And how do we distinguish between the ordinary and the extraordinary?
  • Options
    Besides various adamantine Brexiteers, that ,list omits Grant Shapps, who led the last charge to get 48 names, and has enough aliases to muster half a dozen on his own.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    RoyalBlue said:

And that would be the death of the Conservative Party - though that's likely to happen anyway.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

But the division has become too deep. Clearly the two sides cannot reconcile over a very critical issue, it is no minor disagreement, and should not be in the same party any longer.

We won’t win a majority today. I care about the long-term, and association with no deal will be utterly terminal for my party.

Your last sentence doesn’t make sense. There is no need for a fight; the division is already here. They have 40MPs at best. They need to be flushed out and destroyed at an election.

Labour will be in power. So be it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Xenon said:

"...nd the ERG are representing their views"

Urrm, if you hadn't noticed, many people reject the deal from a pro-remain standpoint. The ERG are not representing their views.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Xenon said:

Urrm, if you hadn't noticed, many people reject the deal from a pro-remain standpoint. The ERG are not representing their views.
    If you're going to critique Rees Mogg et all for wanting a proper Brexit then how ridiculous do the likes of Jo Johnson and Sarah Wollaston look with their constant people's vote whining? And I come as that as someone who largely supports May's deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

Two questions:

I am tempted to say that membership of a political party is a good start.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

We won’t win a majority today. I care about the long-term, and association with no deal will be utterly terminal for my party.

Your last sentence doesn’t make sense. There is no need for a fight; the division is already here. They have 40MPs at best. They need to be flushed out and destroyed at an election.

Labour will be in power. So be it.
    What I mean by have the fight is have this vote of no confidence, which is being used as a proxy for brexit, and then split after than demonstrates how many are on each side.

I absolutely agree that Labour in power is something they will all have to contend with, some things are more important than which party is in power. If their party is trying to approve something truly terrible they should not be in it.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Thinking about the ERG's 'maybe next week' - presumably the thinking (assuming there is some) is that MP's will go back to Constituencies over the weekend and take the pulse of the Tory faithful, the local Branch Chairman etc.

In which case - what are those people thinking? I imagine more pro-deal and anti-ERG taking the pulse on here but is that representative?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

Two questions:

Look at the polls about the deal floating about yesterday.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

Two questions:

Such polling as there has been appears to suggest most people do not like the deal, although that includes plenty of remainers hoping to remain of course, and in any case while the public's views are not to be simply dismissed, an opinion poll is not firm evidence of anything, certainly as a fixed opinion as a 20pt lead can remind us all.
  • Options

Xenon said:

And I suppose they are moon-howling buccaneeers as well.

Along with anyone else who doesn't want this deal.
This discussion has been closed.