Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leadsom leads in new CONHome survey of party members

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Tim_B said:

Chris Evans gone as Top Gear host!!!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36707266

so good I had to post it twice...

How did he last so long and why were they so stupid to pick such a turkey in the first place
  • Options

Smart tactical move by Leadsom to say current EU citizens can stay in UK. Shows a human side and good judgement.

May lacks a human side as demonstatred by saying she would use existing EU citzens in UK as a bargaining chip. Lots of established Conservative members will not welcome this threat by May in my view

Tell that to UK citizens living in the EU. Never mind the negotiations look at my virtue signalling.....
    They have made their bed , let them lie in it
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

tyson said:

tyson said:

So, to be clear, those people (mainly hard-core Leavers) criticising Theresa May and Philip Hammond for making the sensible point that the residence status of EU citizens will depend on the outcome of the outcome of the negotiation are saying that a Romanian who has been here four months and is now working in a hand car-wash has acquired a lifetime right to live here? And that that should remain true even if our EU friends don't extend the same courtesy to Brits living in their countries? Have I got this interpretation of 'getting control of our borders' correct?

Considering most Brits abroad are idle oldies who are tight arses, and have a range of chronic conditions- shut the gates. Give me the Romanian car washer any day, any time, any place.

Leadsom has got it right on this one.

Nabavi- as much as I don't do personal comments here, you never fail to be extremely pompous.
    Proof, if indeed proof is necessary that May has got this one right
    Actually I am rooting for May. She is being too clever by half on this one I'm afraid.

Considering the Tory leadership contest is about my PM (apart from Renzi- a very good chap here)- my choice would be Theresa hands down. She might lack some charisma, but I have always rated her extremely highly.
    And this shows that she has a bit of backbone when it comes to negotiating.
    Paris and Frankfurt will be delighted that City workers from the EU are having their status put in question by the presumptive UK PM.
    Their status was put in question by the vote to LEAVE.
    It was only the REMAIN camp that suggested repatriation of EU citizens if LEAVE won. The LEAVE camp always said there would be no repatriation. Leadsom and Gove sticking with that statement.

Remainer May is threatening repatriation. The moment she lost the chance to be PM.
    If Leave had even hinted at repatriation during the campaign, the Remainers would have gone berserk. It's a funny old world.

However, it's all a minor storm in a teacup. We've got the first round to look forward to tomorrow and Chilcott on Wednesday. I thought I'd be off PB on the 24th June, but the hits just keep on coming :).
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited July 2016
    HaroldO said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

So, to be clear, those people (mainly hard-core Leavers) criticising Theresa May and Philip Hammond for making the sensible point that the residence status of EU citizens will depend on the outcome of the outcome of the negotiation are saying that a Romanian who has been here four months and is now working in a hand car-wash has acquired a lifetime right to live here? And that that should remain true even if our EU friends don't extend the same courtesy to Brits living in their countries? Have I got this interpretation of 'getting control of our borders' correct?

Considering most Brits abroad are idle oldies who are tight arses, and have a range of chronic conditions- shut the gates. Give me the Romanian car washer any day, any time, any place.

Nabavi- as much as I don't do personal comments here, you never fail to be extremely pompous.
    Actually I am rooting for May. She is being too clever by half on this one I'm afraid.

Considering the Tory leadership contest is about my PM (apart from Renzi- a very good chap here)- my choice would be Theresa hands down. She might lack some charisma, but I have always rated her extremely highly.
    Paris and Frankfurt will be delighted that City workers from the EU are having their status put in question by the presumptive UK PM.
    Why couldn't the UK just grant visas for financial workers?
    There are loads of options,but currently the UK has not settle on a negotiating position so committing to one aspect limits future wiggle room.
    I speak as someone who is in a long term relationship with an EU citizen in this country, I am not worried as no one would be stupid enough to throw out current residents...apart from Farage.
    May is the one threatening repatriation as a bargaining chip - Farage has not yet stooped that low. It just shows unbelievably poor judgement.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Unimpressed by Andrea's launch speech which despite being very short, she evidently had to read. She clearly doesn't possess Dave's talent for committing speeches, even very long ones, to memory. Consequently she didn't come across very well by comparison.

***Thinks*** We'll only miss him when he's gone ...... too true .

Boris is the best speech maker but he is not a candidate.
    All wind and ......??????
  • Options

Smart tactical move by Leadsom to say current EU citizens can stay in UK. Shows a human side and good judgement.

May lacks a human side as demonstatred by saying she would use existing EU citzens in UK as a bargaining chip. Lots of established Conservative members will not welcome this threat by May in my view

She has your standard Tory heart of solid Granite
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    I see the odds on May are shortening again. I hope PBers took advantage of the voodoo ConHome poll to top up on May at 1.55.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Sean_F said:

Surely there is no hope of Leadsom getting her true believer plans through the house? I can't comment on the poll, perhaps we need to see a few more, trend is the friend etc.

How many genuine Tory europhile MPs are there? Ones that have long been on the record about their pro-euness, like Soubry or Clarke? If it's more than 30 they could cause real trouble to any brexit plans anyway (12 to knock out con majority, 7 to cover labour leavers, 8 to cover DUP).

Could depend on if the SNP abstain or not (they may do if it helps their independence cause, but I think they would probably still vote against)

Jobabob said:

@Paristonda

SNP would vote against as Sturgeon won't want to lose credibility. There are probably 30+ Europhile Tories, Damian Green, Geo Osborne (!), David Cameron (!), Clare Perry etc etc

I expect that Conservatives who voted against Brexit now would lose the Whip.
    If it was an EEA type solution from May I can imagine the threat of losing the whip being enough to keep them in line. But if it's a completely out option, with a leader preferred amongst members not MPs, would the europhile's still vote it through? Labour MPs may be useless at rebellions but the Tories generally have a better knack for it!
    It's not in the gift of the House of Commons.

The outcome is the result of negotiation with the EU. Given the end of free movement, if the EU says no deal other than World Trade tariffs then the HoC can not vote for EFTA.
    It is not up to the EU whether we join EFTA. It is up to the EFTA members. Since you are referring specifically to EFTA then bear in mind the EU has absolutely no say whatsoever over the makeup of EFTA.
    But EFTA members (other than Lichtenstein) have to agree free movement.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

Considering most Brits abroad are idle oldies who are tight arses, and have a range of chronic conditions- shut the gates.
    1. There are around 1.2 million British born people living in another EU country, according to figures provided by the UN. Around 800,000 will be workers and their dependants. This is much less than the estimated 3.3 million people born in another EU country who now live in the UK, of which 2.1 million are working.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/354
    There are countless, countless more expat Brits, living in the black, who do not register themselves, who do not comply with local residency requirements and do not care, or try to learn the language, or want to pay the taxes and rely on their health cards to access services.

We blame immigrants for failing to play by the rules. Brits living abroad are often much worse.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

tyson said:

tyson said:

Their status was put in question by the vote to LEAVE.
    It was only the REMAIN camp that suggested repatriation of EU citizens if LEAVE won. The LEAVE camp always said there would be no repatriation. Leadsom and Gove sticking with that statement.

Remainer May is threatening repatriation. The moment she lost the chance to be PM.
    She isn't committing to something, that is totally different. I think Leavers are projecting onto Remainers the their own lack of ability to forsee the unintended consequences of leaving.
    Leadsom wants to commit to a position on one of the biggest aspects of the referendum, before anyone has even started negotiating!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Open question to the floor/particularly Theresa May supporters.

What do you make of her implied threat to use EU citizens already working here as pawns in her negotiations ?

If this had come from Andrea Leadsome today would you be taking the same view ?

Or did I mishear the news today ?

Shows she has her head screwed on when it comes to Negotiations
    Shows she would sell her granny for a pittance more like
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Looks like Brexit may actually push wages down in some areas. We are recruiting at the moment and have been told by agencies that we will have less competition for talent as so many companies have instituted hiring freezes since the referendum.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Hmmm seems like a lot of people are looking for reasons not to like him. Seen it before with other Tory ethnic minorities in the party. Tbh.

Also he was selected in an open primary so has more of a mandate than most Tories in safe seats, he changed his mind on Europe but so have other MP's the criticism has been there since he was selected and it is subtle racism. Deny it or not.

I've met him. He came sniffing around Wealden looking for a safe seat. A remarkable man in many ways, but, let's put it this way, you are 100% wrong.
    OK happy to retract what I said then on Mak specifically.
    A courteous retraction, good on you.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    ToryJim said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

What do you make of her implied threat to use EU citizens already working here as pawns in her negotiations ?

I doubt it's going to be an issue in any negotations. I think it will be cleared out of the way early on as agreed points before getting onto the tricky stuff. It sounds like electioneering to me
    That post-Brexit residency status is an issue up for negotiation isn't electioneering or politicking or using people as pawns/bargaining chips, it is a simple statement of fact. Unless the EU and UK agree a deal regarding status ( which I'm sure they will) then their status will change. It's a direct and foreseeable consequence of voting Leave so it is pretty galling to see Leave politicians queuing up to bash someone else for the consequences of their advocacy.
    But as a starting point I cannot believe we would consider deporting several million people who have been here legally for years. It's all very well being tough in the negotiations but if it's obvious you have no intention of following through on something it won't work.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

There are loads of options,but currently the UK has not settle on a negotiating position so committing to one aspect limits future wiggle room.
    I speak as someone who is in a long term relationship with an EU citizen in this country, I am not worried as no one would be stupid enough to throw out current residents...apart from Farage.
    May is the one threatening repatriation as a bargaining chip - Farage has not yet stooped that low. It just shows unbelievably poor judgement.
    But she isn't though, it is already are bargaining chip as it is an aspect of free movement within the EU that we will have to negotiate going forward.
    I cannot see anyone seriously trying to get anyone to leave, that is not on the table...but currently we have no table.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited July 2016
    Pauly said:

HaroldO said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Farage would have had trouble at chez Farage.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited July 2016
    Cardwell on Sky -- to busy to stand !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Pulpstar

'Open question to the floor/particularly Theresa May supporters.

Or did I mishear the news today ?'

Twitter followers & May supporters .
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I really think May and Hammond have made a mistake with the right to remain issue. It's as though they and other Remainers are still fighting the war and are putting words into the mouths of their opponents. The reality is that their opponent has said categorically that everyone can stay. Perhaps May thinks that the Tory members like the idea of chucking people out of the country and being non committal will work to her advantage. But I really doubt that somehow.

So you'd grant something to EU citizens in the UK that we have no way of knowing will be granted to UK citizens in the EU?
    Absolutely. If the EU wants to start cleansing itself of Brits we should not retaliate. I appreciate that many on here will then be in the position to point and laugh at those of us who have questioned the levels of immigration over the last decade. But I'd rather live with those consequences than start deporting people.
    Oh yes we should retaliate. This is realpolitik, not a time for fluffy emotionalism.
    I think it's only now dawning on some LEAVErs that ending free movement might have "consequences" not all of them simple or easy.
    Not an issue for tax exiles though
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

Chris Evans gone as Top Gear host!!!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36707266

so good I had to post it twice...

How did he last so long and why were they so stupid to pick such a turkey in the first place
    ITV News tweeted this: http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-04/chris-evans-accused-of-sexual-assault/

The resignation and the accusation may or may not be linked.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    #Andrea
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Looks like Brexit may actually push wages down in some areas. We are recruiting at the moment and have been told by agencies that we will have less competition for talent as so many companies have instituted hiring freezes since the referendum.

you just get richer by the day. Cant understand why you didnt vote leave in the first place :-)
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

Fifty fking four

that's the number of asylum seekers all German DAX companies have employed since the crisis

dont give me crap about the great employment opportunities in the EU they dont exist

more likely UK companies will employ more German asylum seekers by the end of the year.
    Hello Alan, LOL , there are some real numpties on here , pontificating on subjects when they know square root of nothing other than what they gleaned from twitter
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,815
    Could May 'lend' some of her MP supporters to one of the other candidates so Leadsom doesn't make the final two?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

I doubt it's going to be an issue in any negotations. I think it will be cleared out of the way early on as agreed points before getting onto the tricky stuff. It sounds like electioneering to me
    That post-Brexit residency status is an issue up for negotiation isn't electioneering or politicking or using people as pawns/bargaining chips, it is a simple statement of fact. Unless the EU and UK agree a deal regarding status ( which I'm sure they will) then their status will change. It's a direct and foreseeable consequence of voting Leave so it is pretty galling to see Leave politicians queuing up to bash someone else for the consequences of their advocacy.
    But as a starting point I cannot believe we would consider deporting several million people who have been here legally for years. It's all very well being tough in the negotiations but if it's obvious you have no intention of following through on something it won't work.
    ...that is a very good point. No one seriously expects people to be forced out, it would be electoral and economic suicide.
    Plus be a stain on the national character....god, there's a phrase I never though I would ever use.
  • Options

Surely there is no hope of Leadsom getting her true believer plans through the house? I can't comment on the poll, perhaps we need to see a few more, trend is the friend etc.

How many genuine Tory europhile MPs are there? Ones that have long been on the record about their pro-euness, like Soubry or Clarke? If it's more than 30 they could cause real trouble to any brexit plans anyway (12 to knock out con majority, 7 to cover labour leavers, 8 to cover DUP).

Could depend on if the SNP abstain or not (they may do if it helps their independence cause, but I think they would probably still vote against)

If the SNP votes down the result of a Brexit referendum it sets a precedent for the UK parliament to vote down the result of any Scotland independence referendum.
    LOL
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    He probably said that at the request of Cameron and Osborne. :D

• Options

So we have a candidate for the leadership of the Conservative Party together with ministers refusing to rule out what would amount to forced repatriation of foreign nationals whom the UK had previous allowed to settle here. Bargaining chip or not, that is far beyond the pale and May ought to be pilloried for it. It is tempting to draw the parallel with the 1960s and 1970s except that the stance of May would go beyond even the voluntary repatriation advocated by Powell.

Moustaches will be the order of the day soon
  • Options

Could May 'lend' some of her MP supporters to one of the other candidates so Leadsom doesn't make the final two?

That would make the whole thing very messy...if the Conservative party votes in Leadsom it deserves to eat itself alive.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    HaroldO said:

ToryJim said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

...that is a very good point. No one seriously expects people to be forced out, it would be electoral and economic suicide.
    Plus be a stain on the national character....god, there's a phrase I never though I would ever use.
    I think it's being badly handled by May - it would acheive the same if she said "I'm sure that we will negotiate a package that includes the right of people already here to stay". That makes the point that it's part of a deal and we'd expect something reasonable in return, but also using reassuring language to make it clear that people don't need to worry themselves sick for two years.

It's pretty obvious that May will win, but she probably needs to work on talking human a bit.
  • Options

Let's hope so.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Fifty fking four

that's the number of asylum seekers all German DAX companies have employed since the crisis

dont give me crap about the great employment opportunities in the EU they dont exist

more likely UK companies will employ more German asylum seekers by the end of the year.
    Hello Alan, LOL , there are some real numpties on here , pontificating on subjects when they know square root of nothing other than what they gleaned from twitter
    Have to admit malc even I was surprised just how few asylum seekers had got jobs with Germany's biggest companies. Having spent the second half of last year listening to some PBers saying how desperate German industry was for workers, the picture to date is anything but.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

ToryJim said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's being badly handled by May - it would acheive the same if she said "I'm sure that we will negotiate a package that includes the right of people already here to stay". That makes the point that it's part of a deal and we'd expect something reasonable in return, but also using reassuring language to make it clear that people don't need to worry themselves sick for two years.

It's pretty obvious that May will win, but she probably needs to work on talking human a bit.
    She appears to be pushing the ruthlessly practical angle currently, she has to have on upside to being dull I suppose and that is where the socially awkward usually go in politics.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited July 2016
    Split in leaving camp. Con home reporting that tonight leave.eu have endorsed Andrea Leadsom and vote leave Michael Gove. Has our politics ever been so crazy ?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @tyson

'There are countless, countless more expat Brits, living in the black, who do not register themselves, who do not comply with local residency requirements and do not care, or try to learn the language, or want to pay the taxes and rely on their health cards to access services.

We blame immigrants for failing to play by the rules. Brits living abroad are often much worse.'

Really ? The figures give a completely different story.

NHS 'Scandal' As UK Pays Millions To EU - Sky News
    news.sky.com/story/1652305/nhs-scandal-as-uk-pays-millions-to-eu

2 Mar 2016 - New figures show the NHS is paying out millions more for EU ... paying four times more to Poland for health care recharges, than they pay to us.

• Options
    HaroldO said:

That would make the whole thing very messy...if the Conservative party votes in Leadsom it deserves to eat itself alive.
    OK- fine HaroldO politically,- but unlike a Brexiter or three quid Tory, I am not a nihilist.
    I want May because at this time we need the most competent person being PM. I wish the Tories had opened up an accessible system to pay for it- I would have joined, and influenced everyone I know to go for May.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

PLP are meeting. Sounds like Kinnock has moved MPs to tears.

Has he told them he knows how to win an election

In fairness I am in tears of laughter at the thought Kinnock thinks he knows how not to have Tories in power for 18 years
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Gove and Fox are both more right-wing than Leadsom on most issues.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Quite: this does need to be negotiated and hopefully everyone will see sense.

The present anger mostly seems to come from people who see EU immigrants - very often their colleagues, of course - as superior to British ex-pats.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HaroldO said:

OK- fine HaroldO politically,- but unlike a Brexiter or three quid Tory, I am not a nihilist.
    I want May because at this time we need the most competent person being PM. I wish the Tories had opened up an accessible system to pay for it- I would have joined, and influenced everyone I know to go for May.
    I actually was considering doing the same in a few years to get her in for 2019 if the field had stayed as it was, and I have no interest in joining a political party at all.
    But the idea of Osborne or Johnson (after turning on Cameron) getting in appalled me, and with the field on the opposite side being Corbyn than I thought they were nailed on.

I think May is the least worst option, I won't be putting bunting out for her or anything like that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444

In fairness I am in tears of laughter at the thought Kinnock thinks he knows how not to have Tories in power for 18 years
    If Corbynistas are only going to listen to election winning leaders, then there's a chap with three election victories with a stonking average of nearly 130 seat majority worth listening to.
  • Options
    The truly wise and me were advising to lay her today.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

If Corbynistas are only going to listen to election winning leaders, then there's a chap with three election victories with a stonking average of nearly 130 seat majority worth listening to.
    Wednesday is nearly here.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

You are Finbarr Saunders and I claim my €5.
  • Options

Unimpressed by Andrea's launch speech which despite being very short, she evidently had to read. She clearly doesn't possess Dave's talent for committing speeches, even very long ones, to memory. Consequently she didn't come across very well by comparison.

***Thinks*** We'll only miss him when he's gone ...... too true .

I'm baffled that you would give a fig about such trivia.

Presentational skills are important, very important. If you don't understand that, you don't know much about politics.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

@Paristonda

SNP would vote against as Sturgeon won't want to lose credibility. There are probably 30+ Europhile Tories, Damian Green, Geo Osborne (!), David Cameron (!), Clare Perry etc etc

I expect that Conservatives who voted against Brexit now would lose the Whip.
    If it was an EEA type solution from May I can imagine the threat of losing the whip being enough to keep them in line. But if it's a completely out option, with a leader preferred amongst members not MPs, would the europhile's still vote it through? Labour MPs may be useless at rebellions but the Tories generally have a better knack for it!
    It's not in the gift of the House of Commons.

The outcome is the result of negotiation with the EU. Given the end of free movement, if the EU says no deal other than World Trade tariffs then the HoC can not vote for EFTA.
    It is not up to the EU whether we join EFTA. It is up to the EFTA members. Since you are referring specifically to EFTA then bear in mind the EU has absolutely no say whatsoever over the makeup of EFTA.
    But EFTA members (other than Lichtenstein) have to agree free movement.
    EFTA is an association of oddball countries in western Europe that aren't members of the EU. The European Economic Area (EEA) is a single market and social area setup between EFTA and the EU. To be part of the EEA a Brexited UK would have to join EFTA and, in practice, get the agreement of the EU
  • Options
    You only need 35% support from MPs to get into the membership ballot. It doesn't matter if the other 65% despise Leadsom.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Off-topic:

The abomination that is the Garden Bridge in London has cost £37.7 million already before any construction has started.

To put that into context, the Millennium Bridge cost £18.2 million in total, although that was sixteen years ago.

Those involved, from Joanna Lumley down, should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options

Yes but she's shortened since that advice!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    AndyJS said:

You only need 35% support from MPs to get into the membership ballot. It doesn't matter if the other 65% despise Leadsom.
    Of course it does. Where do you think the press briefings are going to come from? The cross-party support?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Of course it does. Where do you think the press briefings are going to come from? The cross-party support?
    The opinion of the membership is what counts.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Can Norwegian citizens who have lived in Britain on and off for 25 years but who haven't ever applied for British citizenship, even when married to British citizens who eventually divorced them, because it might upset their Norwegian families if they settled here, and because their hearts have always been in the fjords and they always piss themselves pining every 17th May, all be deported as soon as possible please. Send immigration officials round to visit them and ask them how come they haven't applied for citizenship if they claim to be "settled" here, and then frogmarch them to the airport and send them the bill. Just saying.
  • Options

Yes but she's shortened since that advice!
    Hush.

I'm looking long term
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I highly doubt she has that. There were only 138 Leavers and a number of those are already on May's side. Plus some will think she just isn't up to it.
  • Options
    I HAVE RESIGNED.

OK!

HAPPY NOW?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I HAVE RESIGNED.

OK!

HAPPY NOW?

False Flag.
  • Options

Wednesday is nearly here.
    A minor mistake by ACL Blair, stop focussing on the negatives and focus on the positives.

He still won a 66 seat majority after Iraq
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@tyson

'There are countless, countless more expat Brits, living in the black, who do not register themselves, who do not comply with local residency requirements and do not care, or try to learn the language, or want to pay the taxes and rely on their health cards to access services.

We blame immigrants for failing to play by the rules. Brits living abroad are often much worse.'

Really ? The figures give a completely different story.

NHS 'Scandal' As UK Pays Millions To EU - Sky News
    news.sky.com/story/1652305/nhs-scandal-as-uk-pays-millions-to-eu

2 Mar 2016 - New figures show the NHS is paying out millions more for EU ... paying four times more to Poland for health care recharges, than they pay to us.

I think you just made my point for me.

I have come across expats who play fast and loose with local rules, mainly to avoid paying taxes. My friend who lives in Spain tells me the same...his lawyer has told him it is common for Brits to pay cash for properties with suitcases filled with Euros. They do not register themselves locally, and use holiday insurance or their EU health cards to access local health services.

But there are many more who rent, and equally do not register themselves. They often do not know how, and have such limited local language, that they are incapable anyway. So, they live under the wire.

It is little surprise that 80% of the registered expats are in work...they have to be registered by their employer....but there are many, many thousands of others who are not registered.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Vote counting has resumed in Australia and with almost 80% counted the L/NP are on 68 seats and the ALP on 67 and others on 5

http://www.abc.net.au/news/

Meanwhile Shorten has said Turnbull is the southern hemisphere's David Cameron
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Faisal Islam Verified account ‏@faisalislam 7m7 minutes ago

At 1922, Theresa May got most vocal backing, as you'd expect. Leadsom won fans, but May's backers seized on A50 timing change...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

May could lend some of her MPs to Crabb and Gove if she has a big enough lead in round 1 to ensure Leadsom does not make the leadership ballot
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

you just get richer by the day. Cant understand why you didnt vote leave in the first place :-)

I am a mere minority shareholder these days, but it's fair to say Brexit hasn't worked out too badly so far :-)

Not sure we're a typical UK company though.

• Options
    How thick is Andrea Leadsom? She couldn't get into Oxford and they let in David Miliband with 3Bs and a D.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tyson said:

tyson said:

Fifty fking four

I understood that asylum seekers in Germany are not allowed to seek employment until their application has been accepted, which takes on average a year.

How the stats work out in the end is a bit early to say.

• Options
    HaroldO said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

I actually was considering doing the same in a few years to get her in for 2019 if the field had stayed as it was, and I have no interest in joining a political party at all.
    But the idea of Osborne or Johnson (after turning on Cameron) getting in appalled me, and with the field on the opposite side being Corbyn than I thought they were nailed on.

I think May is the least worst option, I won't be putting bunting out for her or anything like that.
    LOL- I've got my Theresa May kitten coloured bunting at the ready, and a bottle of lemonade (sparkling but non alcoholic to fit our tea totler PM)
  • Options
    USA Today/Suffolk Clinton 39 Trump 35 Johnson 8 Stein 3
    http://www.suffolk.edu/academics/1094.php
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

How thick is Andrea Leadsom? She couldn't get into Oxford and they let in David Miliband with 3Bs and a D.

Time to break the Oxbridge cartel. :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

May could lend some of her MPs to Crabb and Gove if she has a big enough lead in round 1 to ensure Leadsom does not make the leadership ballot
    I flagged up that possibility a few days ago.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Like little Aubry, I shall laugh and laugh till the tears fall from my eyes if Andrea Leadsom becomes PM, just to see the look on TSE's face.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

Faisal Islam Verified account ‏@faisalislam 7m7 minutes ago

At 1922, Theresa May got most vocal backing, as you'd expect. Leadsom won fans, but May's backers seized on A50 timing change...

What is the change of timing?
  • Options
    This is a good read, though probably for anoraks only.

http://www.adamsmith.org/the-liberal-case-for-leave
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    If Leadsom wins and Corbyn is re-elected by the membership, you'd have a situation where most of the MPs from both main parties have a leader they didn't vote for.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

I think Gordon was not Oxbridge. Worked out fine as I recall...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris is standing for US president?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

tyson said:

tyson said:

Fifty fking four

I understood that asylum seekers in Germany are not allowed to seek employment until their application has been accepted, which takes on average a year.

The Franfurter Allgemeine is saying DAX companies have little interest in employing asylum seekers. Of the 54 employed 50 got jobs with Deutsche Post. The German Labour Ministry is reporting 300k asylum seekers are looking for jobs.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/unternehmen/mittelstand-als-hoffnungstraeger-fuer-fluechtlinge-14323607.html
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    AndyJS said:

One cabinet minister said: “only four out of the five contributions we heard tonight were sane.”
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Pauly said:

I think Gordon was not Oxbridge. Worked out fine as I recall...
    Churchill was not Oxbridge, Eden was Oxbridge. Oxbridge are the best 2 universities in the country so they are bound to produce more than their fair share of PMs but just because you went to Oxbridge, or more particularly Oxford (the last Cambridge educated PM was Baldwin), does not mean you are automatically going to be a great PM, nor does the fact you did not go mean you will be a bad one

Going to a major public school though probably helps if you did not go to Oxbridge, Churchill went to Harrow (as Baldwin had a decade before) and he was followed by 3 Etonian PMs
  • Options
    Thank you Crystal Palace!
  • Options

That was the special entrance requirement for sons of Marxist academics living in Notting Hill
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Why I love the Tory party

@faisalislam: fave bit of post '22 briefing: MP 1 "will be no tactical voting - this is much too serious" MP 2 "we're all working out our tactical votes"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Wow, making up an edge case to prove a point? That's almost completely unknown. I'm so surprised to see it happening on PB.
    It's not an edge case. Or at least, the Leavers told us the country was being overrun with low-skill EU immigrants forcing down wages. Are you suggesting they were talking absolute bollocks?
    Richard - the referendum is over. I didn't vote to leave, you didn't vote to leave. But we are where we are.

Again - do you think it acceptable for current EU migrants working and living here to be used as political pawns in May's game ?
    I certainly haven't heard the Spanish come out with anything like this - bringing it up now is both inhumane and poor tactically.
    Do you not think we need just a dash of goodwill when we're negotiating with other EU countries ?
    While in all likelihood this will be sorted sharpish, as has been mentioned, the issue could also be the first taste of "real life" that a post-EU UK will face. Of course we all assume that everyone will be all touchy feely about our departure and that we can have more or less the same deal we had but with fewer foreigners.

But this is real politik and geopolitical reality. Nations negotiate to gain advantage. Although we might all want a group hug, what guarantee is there that France or Spain will agree to the existing circumstances? Because we hope or want them to? Much will be gained by hard-nosed negotiation and if I was a Brit living abroad in the EU I would be spitting feathers at being told that the UK had gone solo on allowing EU citizens to stay in the UK with absolutely zip in return.

An indication of how much growing up Brexiteers have to do is that on DP today, the Moggster said that as from June 23rd, ie two weeks ago, or very soon if not then, no EU citizen should have the right to remain in the UK. What do you suppose the leaders of EU27 would do or think or implement if Moggster's man, or Leadsom if she thinks the same, became PM in a matter of weeks?

This shit just got real.
    As a Brit living abroad I concur!!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Would you like a body guard for the next PB meet? – my rates are very cheap :lol:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I flagged up that possibility a few days ago.
    It is very possible, if I were May I would do it, IDS used such tactics to knock-out Portillo though he almost knocked out himself. Cameron also used them to knock-out Fox
  • Options
    Apparently Leadsom was wriggling on the whole UKIP/leave.eu/Aaron Banks thing and did not go down well.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Some of this stuff from the 22 sounds like May backers just trying to trash A Leadsome tbh.
  • Options
    If Leadsom picks up all of Fox's support and 75% of Gove's she'd be on about a third of Tory MPs, using Guido's list. That only includes MPs who've declared so far.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Some of this stuff from the 22 sounds like May backers just trying to trash A Leadsome tbh.

And? :D
  • Options
    May seems to be setting out a negotiating stance with EU - perhaps unavoidable as front runner whereas Leadsom is staking out a vision. I know which I find more appealing.

A further concern - does May actually have a vision of where she would like to take the UK? She seems to be someone who wants power "to be" rather than "to do".
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    tyson said:

Good grief.... Don't do "personal comments on here" seriously?

You have been calling a number of people on here xenophobic racists for months now and even apologists for racism. One poster even threatened you with lawyers of you attempted it again.

You are certainly a leading candidate for the " total lack of self awareness" award that's for sure.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

AndyJS said:

One cabinet minister said: “only four out of the five contributions we heard tonight were sane.”
    That they are briefing against Leadsom makes me think they are worried about her. They need to be careful not to make it too obvious if they do decide to stitch her up.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    HYUFD said:

That was the special entrance requirement for sons of Marxist academics living in Notting Hill
    She's of the age when the oxbridge entrance exams still existed. Past that and you could take upper 6 off as all you needed was your 2 E's for a grant...
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

So, to be clear, those people (mainly hard-core Leavers) criticising Theresa May and Philip Hammond for making t?

Fifty fking four

The Franfurter Allgemeine is saying DAX companies have little interest in employing asylum seekers. Of the 54 employed 50 got jobs with Deutsche Post. The German Labour Ministry is reporting 300k asylum seekers are looking for jobs.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/unternehmen/mittelstand-als-hoffnungstraeger-fuer-fluechtlinge-14323607.html
    I am not disputing the figures, but there are plenty of barriers to employment for asylum seekers, including dispersal and legal bars to employment before their status is settled.

Afriend of mine (Iraqi) has a brother in Germany who has been there eight years as an asylum seeker, but not yet permitted to work.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris is standing for US president?
    Yes putting his US birthright to use already! (No, it is actually Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Pulpstar said:

And? :D
    Do you think Tory Mps are swayed by such obvious nonsense ?>
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

AndyJS said:

That could be talking about any one of four of the candidates...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

That's no doubt true, but the same is equally true in reverse of the synthetic fuss about residency rights.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

That they are briefing against Leadsom makes me think they are worried about her. They need to be careful not to make it too obvious if they do decide to stitch her up.
    And briefing that she gave a poor hustings is all grist to that particular mill.
This discussion has been closed.