Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his count

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his country for his career.

Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his country for his career. Super story by @ShippersUnbound pic.twitter.com/P20Z44xBUh

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First and Yawn
  • Options

First and Yawn

Indeed. Goodnight.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    The Sunday Times admits that Boris's Remain argument was weaker than his Leave argument.

I wouldn't have expected that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    US Betting Post

I got on Dems in Ohio at Evens. They are now down to 1.39/1.5 on Betfair. I have cashed out as I think it looks like Hilary will win without Ohio.

All my other state bets remain.
  • Options

First and Yawn

Indeed. Goodnight.
    We are very close to the same number of posts
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299
    edited October 2016
    Sixth like Boris
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @joeyfjones: It would seem Boris was having both cakes and eating them too. That's a lot of cake.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

US Betting Post

I got on Dems in Ohio at Evens. They are now down to 1.39/1.5 on Betfair. I have cashed out as I think it looks like Hilary will win without Ohio.

Hills had 3/1 on the GOP in Ohio which I thought was value. Alas I have forgotten my log in (it's around here somewhere...)
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

You'll feel better when you grieve and move on

Trust me

(Also please tell Mike there's no imminent Lib Dem resurgence. Love you bye)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Interesting thread. Especially Crosby's advice for Boris to back Brexit once Cameron had ignored his plea for delay. So, Cameron ignored both Osborne and Crosby's advise that the referendum would be a disaster.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The pb.com story from that article is that Jim Messina thought Andrew Cooper, Cameron's pollster, as "the worst I've ever worked with" for getting his forecasts so wrong.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I guess that Sir Ivan Rogers and Tom Scholar won't be getting Christmas cards from Dave.
  • Options

Alistair said:

US Betting Post

Hills had 3/1 on the GOP in Ohio which I thought was value. Alas I have forgotten my log in (it's around here somewhere...)
    Yes, I'm considering zeroing out my Dems green to have a free bet on Trump in Ohio. Going tobwaitbfor a bit more early voting data first.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

The pb.com story from that article is that Jim Messina thought Andrew Cooper, Cameron's pollster, as "the worst I've ever worked with" for getting his forecasts so wrong.

:D
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Interesting thread. Especially Crosby's advice for Boris to back Brexit once Cameron had ignored his plea for delay. So, Cameron ignored both Osborne and Crosby's advise that the referendum would be a disaster.

Lynton or Rod?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

:D
    Jim Messina definitely comes off the better of that anecdote...

I'm looking forward to Shipper's book.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

I have moved on, my morning piece opens with this

Despite all the hype and bluster, the court case, and Parliamentary scrutiny, the United Kingdom will be leaving the European Union within the next few few years, and both will rapidly change because of Brexit.
  • Options

If think most people here couldn't fathom the rush when Dave had until the end of 2017.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

Despite all the hype and bluster, the court case, and Parliamentary scrutiny, the United Kingdom will be leaving the European Union within the next few few years, and both will rapidly change because of Brexit.
    Absolutely accept this statement.
  • Options
    glw said:

If think most people here couldn't fathom the rush when Dave had until the end of 2017.
    1) He didn't want most of this Parliament to be dominated by the Referendum (oh the irony, in hindsight)

2) He didn't want to renegotiate in 2017 whilst the French and Germans had their elections.

3) As a rule governments and PMs get more unpopular the longer they've been in office, so by 2017 the government and he would have been unpopular, he didn't want the referendum to be about kicking an unpopular PM and government

I was told a few other reasons, but I've forgotten
  • Options

glw said:

1) He didn't want most of this Parliament to be dominated by the Referendum (oh the irony, in hindsight)

2) He didn't want to renegotiate in 2017 whilst the French and Germans had their elections.

3) As a rule governments and PMs get more unpopular the longer they've been in office, so by 2017 the government and he would have been unpopular, he didn't want the referendum to be about kicking an unpopular PM and government

Maybe the one you forgot was that he never thought he would lose
  • Options

Which would make sense if he'd won. Instead he screwed his career up as it turns out the public were quite happy to give the government a kick up the arse in 2016. In fact as a rule of thumb people quite like giving governments a kick up the arse and that should be factored into all planning.

Frankly it serves Dave right.
  • Options

glw said:

He wanted to give the party time to heal before the 2020 election.

Party before country.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

Or will it? We'll see. Once the economic disaster becomes obvious, enough of the public will change their minds. You may be losing faith a little too early Mr TSE.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

Or will it? We'll see. Once the economic disaster becomes obvious, enough of the public will change their minds. You may be losing faith a little too early Mr TSE.
    Wait until you see my conclusion.....
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

The only way to reverse the vote would be to hold another one as per the dicktat of the EU if they don't agree with a Nations democracy. Just isn't going to happen
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Not for the first time the King of the North and the Sage of the South are in full accord.

(Now about Mrs May.....)

Hah, I did a Populus poll at lunchtime, one of the questions was I was satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the unelected PM Mrs May was doing her job,.

This was my response.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/787311343250571264
    why?
    Theresa May is a bit too nanny-statist for my liking, but she's a pretty mainstream Conservative, I'd say.
    I very much like her politics. We had plenty of nanny-statism on sugar tax, social policy and heavy flirting with minimum alcohol pricing during the Cameron years.
    Ministers have watered down the UK’s long-awaited childhood obesity strategy, dropping proposed curbs on junk food television advertisements and focusing instead on the importance of school sport in moves seen as a victory for the food industry over health campaigners.

https://www.ft.com/content/b945afac-6499-11e6-8310-ecf0bddad227

Now I happen to think we need to do more on childhood obesity (probably starting with parental education) but to criticise May for on one hand 'nanny statism' then on the other 'watering down guidelines' seems a bit confused....
    It would be interesting to see a few chars on this: obesity rates over time, average calorie intake over time, and average activity per day over time.

I'm not sure the story should be all about the food industry.
    My understanding is that on average, people consumed more calories 60-70 years ago, but with more people performing manual labour/walking to work or school, obesity wasn't a problem.
    Or, the energy balance hypothesis of fat growth is incorrect.
    You're right, the basic laws of thermo dynamics could be wrong.
    That more energy has gone in than is being expended or excreted is not in dispute. But that isn't an explanation of the process by which the body grows body fat. It is no more than saying we have 12 users logged into PB because more logged on than logged off.

• Options
    Has WWIII started yet?
  • Options

Yeah he certainly seemed to act as though he could wing it despite his dismal renegotiation, and it doesn't surprise me that some of those around him were warning him not to rush it. In the end the public simply didn't believe him, which is a damning verdict on a PM that had won a general election only a year before.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

The only way to reverse the vote would be to hold another one as per the dicktat of the EU if they don't agree with a Nations democracy. Just isn't going to happen
    Is that because, naming no names, some people only acquire the courage of their convictions after proof that the majority agree with them?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Not for the first time the King of the North and the Sage of the South are in full accord.

(Now about Mrs May.....)

Hah, I did a Populus poll at lunchtime, one of the questions was I was satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the unelected PM Mrs May was doing her job,.

This was my response.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/787311343250571264
    why?
    Theresa May is a bit too nanny-statist for my liking, but she's a pretty mainstream Conservative, I'd say.
    I very much like her politics. We had plenty of nanny-statism on sugar tax, social policy and heavy flirting with minimum alcohol pricing during the Cameron years.
    Ministers have watered down the UK’s long-awaited childhood obesity strategy, dropping proposed curbs on junk food television advertisements and focusing instead on the importance of school sport in moves seen as a victory for the food industry over health campaigners.

https://www.ft.com/content/b945afac-6499-11e6-8310-ecf0bddad227

Now I happen to think we need to do more on childhood obesity (probably starting with parental education) but to criticise May for on one hand 'nanny statism' then on the other 'watering down guidelines' seems a bit confused....
    It would be interesting to see a few chars on this: obesity rates over time, average calorie intake over time, and average activity per day over time.

I'm not sure the story should be all about the food industry.
    My understanding is that on average, people consumed more calories 60-70 years ago, but with more people performing manual labour/walking to work or school, obesity wasn't a problem.
    Or, the energy balance hypothesis of fat growth is incorrect.
    You're right, the basic laws of thermo dynamics could be wrong.
    That more energy has gone in than is being expended or excreted is not in dispute. But that isn't an explanation of the process by which the body grows body fat. It is no more than saying we have 12 users logged into PB because more logged on than logged off.

Entropy ain't what it used to be....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

Translation - with any luck those die-hard remoaners who sadly still occupy our corridors of power will manage to spook the bovine hordes into thinking their flatscreens are at risk if we ever leave. A really loathsome hope; I do congratulate you.
  • Options

Has WWIII started yet?

Russian fleet sailing through the channel and sabre rattling generally by Putin does increase the aggro
  • Options
    glw said:

Yeah he certainly seemed to act as though he could wing it despite his dismal renegotiation, and it doesn't surprise me that some of those around him were warning him not to rush it. In the end the public simply didn't believe him, which is a damning verdict on a PM that had won a general election only a year before.

Without wanting to break confidences, a few PBers will confirm this, but in March of this year, I had conversations with people on the Remain and Leave campaign teams, all sides off the record said to me, if Remain led on the economic question, then Remain would win.

Cameron, like a lot of people thought it was the economy, stupid.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

I'm not convinced. Everything could be such a mess with a couple of years or so that there is a popular demand for a change, referendum or not. Who knows? Politics is always more fluid than one thinks.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

I'm not convinced. Everything could be such a mess with a couple of years or so that there is a popular demand for a change, referendum or not. Who knows? Politics is always more fluid than one thinks.
    As A50 will have been served there is no way back
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    We all know Boris was on a knife edge between Remain and Leave. Not sure why this should be news?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We all know Boris was on a knife edge between Remain and Leave. Not sure why this should be news?

It's not
  • Options
    Terrible headline you've used and your message, makes it look like you haven't even read the article quoted.

When I make a momentous decision I try and do a cost/benefit analysis of arguing for the decision, arguing against it and then seeing which argument is best. This is clearly what he has done here.

That Boris thought so deeply about this is something to be commended not ashamed of. I don't say this often but you should be completely ashamed of being so petty TSE.
  • Options

Terrible headline you've used and your message, makes it look like you haven't even read the article quoted.

When I make a momentous decision I try and do a cost/benefit analysis of arguing for the decision, arguing against it and then seeing which argument is best. This is clearly what he has done here.

That Boris thought so deeply about this is something to be commended not ashamed of. I don't say this often but you should be completely ashamed of being so petty TSE.

TSE = TINO

*runs and hides*
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Trump's accusation that Clinton was drugged up during the second debate and his call for them both to be drug tested before the third debate are quite clever.

She surely can't say yes. Then he would just demand something else.

And at the debate, he's likely to accuse her directly of being drugged up, there and then, pointing out that she refused to be tested. "You're crazy, Donald." "Why are you blinking so much, Hillary?"

Many Trumpers believe crazy stuff about Clinton. I don't know how open the "middle" are to being led to such beliefs. Drug accusations could be the wedge. Clinton may be put into a position where it's difficult to win: too energetic, she's "on drugs"; too laid back, she's physically not up to it. It needs to be observed that it's unlikely she would be attacked in this kind of physical way if she were male.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It's not
    Why release this "news" now, four months AFTER the Referendum?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It's not
    Why release this "news" now, four months AFTER the Referendum?
    Because the journo has a book out.
  • Options

Politics is often about perceptions, not facts, the perceptions on Boris have just been reinforced.

You don't think when he next advocates hard Brexit, his comments are going to quoted back at him? It's going to damage him.

I was right on why people should keep on laying Boris in the previous race, perhaps I'll be right again.
  • Options
    Yeah but Wikileaks is more important than that.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828

You don't think when he next advocates hard Brexit, his comments are going to quoted back at him?

I guess that could explain why Gove knifed him? ;)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

Translation - with any luck those die-hard remoaners who sadly still occupy our corridors of power will manage to spook the bovine hordes into thinking their flatscreens are at risk if we ever leave. A really loathsome hope; I do congratulate you.
    Translation of the translation - too late, they fell for it, we win for ever and ever, ha ha ha ha.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

How do we know. No country has ever used it. These international agreements have a habit of being flexible.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You don't think when he next advocates hard Brexit, his comments are going to quoted back at him?

Article says Boris wanted to punch Gove when Gove tried to apologise for knifing him.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What is Gove?
    Baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me
    No more
  • Options

Politics is often about perceptions, not facts, the perceptions on Boris have just been reinforced.

You don't think when he next advocates hard Brexit, his comments are going to quoted back at him? It's going to damage him.

I was right on why people should keep on laying Boris in the previous race, perhaps I'll be right again.
    No I don't think so, since there's a reason he didn't publish those words and besides it isn't like Boris doesn't have a "colourful" back catalogue of words to be quoted back at him already.

The idea it is somehow shameful to try to think through both sides of the debate is terrible.
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

How do we know. No country has ever used it. These international agreements have a habit of being flexible.
    Well I suppose whatever will be, will be and the one thing I do accept is that no one, absolutely no one, knows how this process will evolve including the EU
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Trump's accusation that Clinton was drugged up during the second debate and his call for them both to be drug tested before the third debate are quite clever.

Do you really think so?

I'm sure it will play well with his core supporters, but do these crazy conspiracy theories really impress the world at large?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think a lot of us were on a knife edge about it and genuinely wrestled with the pros and cons. Whoever wrote this up on here demeans themselves and this site.
  • Options

No I don't think so, since there's a reason he didn't publish those words and besides it isn't like Boris doesn't have a "colourful" back catalogue of words to be quoted back at him already.

The idea it is somehow shameful to try to think through both sides of the debate is terrible.
    Iff Brexit does turn out be an economic mistake, who do you think voters will blame? Themselves or the politicians that persuaded them that Brexit was a good idea?
  • Options

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

A little harsh I think. I am more interested in what might happen than being right about these things. As a betting site we speculate on the future.

My two pence worth is that the negotiations will be an utter mess, little will be agreed for months and months, the EU will drag its feet, the British have no clear idea where we want to get to, different parts of UK government will be arguing for different outcomes, the economic clouds will darken ( the rubbish about how wonderfully well we are doing post-Brexit is just that, rubbish - all these things have a time lag) and so on.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Someone wake me up when we have left, I am so sick of hearing about Brexit. And I was a remainer.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think a lot of us were on a knife edge about it and genuinely wrestled with the pros and cons.
    To the extent of writing a paean to EU membership, and then two days later declaring for Leave?

Why do people bend over backwards to make excuses for dishonest politicians?
  • Options

Iff Brexit does turn out be an economic mistake, who do you think voters will blame? Themselves or the politicians that persuaded them that Brexit was a good idea?
    The latter obviously. Arise Osborne from backbench obscurity.
  • Options

Nothing in this article changes any of that. From the moment Boris won the campaign that was true, hence the silly phrase going around of "you Brexit you own it". That Boris thought through the risks of leaving is a good sign not a bad one.

Are you seriously suggesting it would be better if Boris had gung ho signed up for the Leave campaign without even thinking about what the risks, dangers or consequences of Leaving could be at all?
  • Options
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

I think a lot of us were on a knife edge about it and genuinely wrestled with the pros and cons.
    To the extent of writing a paean to EU membership, and then two days later declaring for Leave?

Read the article in full, that's not what happened.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Someone wake me up when we have left, I am so sick of hearing about Brexit. And I was a remainer.

See you in a decade then :-)
  • Options
    Disgraceful, grammar schools really do screw the poor.

Just 2.6% of grammar pupils are from poor backgrounds, new figures show

‘Shamefully’ dire record fuels criticism of May’s schools selection plans

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/15/very-small-percentage-of-grammar-school-pupils-from-poorer-families-new-statistics-show?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

The politicians who implemented it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited October 2016

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

A little harsh I think. I am more interested in what might happen than being right about these things. As a betting site we speculate on the future.

My two pence worth is that the negotiations will be an utter mess, little will be agreed for months and months, the EU will drag its feet, the British have no clear idea where we want to get to, different parts of UK government will be arguing for different outcomes, the economic clouds will darken ( the rubbish about how wonderfully well we are doing post-Brexit is just that, rubbish - all these things have a time lag) and so on.
    One of the feel good factors about leaving will occur later this year if Nissan confirm the production of it's new car from their Sunderland factory as was indicated earlier this week with the CEO meeting with TM.

Also ING have announced it is relocating it's HQ to the City.

Both these if confirmed confound some of the many negatives we hear from the remainers
  • Options

Good point.
  • Options

You mean people like the Foreign Secretary?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

GIN1138 said:

I think a lot of us were on a knife edge about it and genuinely wrestled with the pros and cons. Whoever wrote this up on here demeans themselves and this site.
    That can only be TSE, who is a rabid Remainer. The trouble with Boris is that he thinks too much.
  • Options

Good point.
    Which is why Boris is For Sec and Fox is Trade numpty person.
  • Options

glw said:

A young man at my gym, who I had assumed was a student, turns out to be a civil servant. I asked him about the referendum and he said that Cameron et al were supremely confident, & thought it was in the bag until it was too late. Apparently they hadn't even considered defeat.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Chris said:

Dromedary said:

Do you really think so?

I'm sure it will play well with his core supporters, but do these crazy conspiracy theories really impress the world at large?
    That's the question I asked: will it play with the "middle" during the debate? It may play quite well if he gets his delivery and timing and body language right - remember his TV background. It's not even at the crazy edge of crazy: a lot of journalists and politicians take illegal drugs.

Why is saying she's on drugs a "conspiracy theory"? I'm trying to fathom your definition. Is it "a statement that a politician is hiding something that would ruin them if it came out, when they obviously aren't and it's crazy to think they are"?
  • Options

glw said:

A young man at my gym, who I had assumed was a student, turns out to be a civil servant. I asked him about the referendum and he said that Cameron et al were supremely confident, & thought it was in the bag until it was too late. Apparently they hadn't even considered defeat.
    Welcome to political betting - your last sentence is exactly my opinion
  • Options

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

If I've got it wrong in any way, by all means explain.
  • Options

glw said:

Seems to fit with what we know so far. Cameron and co really thought it was a sure-fire winner: that most people would not vote against their own (perceived) economic interests. They needed to get out more.

Osborne it seems had the good sense to warn the idea of a Referendum was crazy.
  • Options

glw said:

Seems to fit with what we know so far. Cameron and co really thought it was a sure-fire winner: that most people would not vote against their own (perceived) economic interests. They needed to get out more.

Osborne it seems had the good sense to warn the idea of a Referendum was crazy.
    History will decide whether it was crazy or inspired
  • Options

Good point.
    And Gove is what exactly? And May was Leave was she? Vote Leave doesn't exist anymore, it is the government that will either succeed or fail and if it fails then May will not be able to say "well I thought we should have Remained anyway".
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/15/very-small-percentage-of-grammar-school-pupils-from-poorer-families-new-statistics-show?CMP=share_btn_tw

How about Public Schools? How many "poor" pupils?
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Why is saying she's on drugs a "conspiracy theory"? I'm trying to fathom your definition.

Let's just say that in the absence of a shred of evidence for the claim, I'll classify it with all the other drivel that Trump has been coming out with, such as Obama not having been born in the USA (which if I understand correctly he has retracted).
  • Options

Good point.
    And Gove is what exactly? And May was Leave was she? Vote Leave doesn't exist anymore, it is the government that will either succeed or fail and if it fails then May will not be able to say "well I thought we should have Remained anyway".
    Possibly. Or she might undertake a 'night of the long knives' and sack half the cabinet who have "let her down" on this issue and bring in new talent.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

You claim he wrote a "paean to EU membership" and implied he is a "dishonest politician". The article says "He had already penned one piece arguing the case for "out", then wrote the "remain" article as a way of clarifying his thoughts, before composing a final article backing Brexit for publication."

"The book dispels the myth that Johnson's case for "remain" was better than his argument to "leave". In fact the article was dashed off quickly and seems to be an attempt by Johnson to convince himself the case for staying in was weak."

Some "paean". Some "dishonesty". It is in fact standard rigorous procedure to test both hypothesis before coming to a conclusion. *rolleyes*
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

It's private schools that screw the poor.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

glw said:

Without wanting to break confidences, a few PBers will confirm this, but in March of this year, I had conversations with people on the Remain and Leave campaign teams, all sides off the record said to me, if Remain led on the economic question, then Remain would win.

Cameron, like a lot of people thought it was the economy, stupid.
    And nobody considered when the immigration numbers were coming out, relative to the date of the Referendum? Amateur doesn't begin to get close....
  • Options

Good point.
    Possibly. Or she might undertake a 'night of the long knives' and sack half the cabinet who have "let her down" on this issue and bring in new talent.
    Yes but if she does it will be because they have "let her down" in the job, not because they did so in the referendum. It is the implementation not the convincing that matters.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Evidence?
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    What a silly silly thread,

This used to be a serious site.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Evidence?
    They can't afford them.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

ING have not moved their HQ to London, they have moved several dozen currency trading related jobs to London as part of a global restructuring in which 7000 people are being made redundant. Its a level of desperation that this move is being made such a big deal of.

"The Netherlands’ biggest financial firm said currency, derivatives and interest rate traders will move from Brussels to London, along with some foreign exchange options, rates and fixed income staff from Amsterdam. Up to 60 people are thought to be affected by this plan"
  • Options

How about Public Schools? How many "poor" pupils?
    I did read that bursaries and grants meant that around 4% of fee paying school students were from poor/disadvantaged backgrounds.

I'll have to dig it out.

Wasn't sure if it was for the whole sector, or from a study of a region.
  • Options
    Night all.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited October 2016

AndyJS said:

Evidence?
    They can't afford them.
    But apart from a minor tax exemption, the poor aren't paying for private schools as they are with grammar schools.

Edit: And parents who are sending their kids to fee paying schools are doing the poor a favour, and making sure the government doesn't pay to educate their kids.

That money is spent on the poor kids.
  • Options

Or Europe - the already loathed institution.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

TSE mate

Let it go.

Trust me on this,

Trust me

ING have not moved their HQ to London, they have moved several dozen currency trading related jobs to London as part of a global restructuring in which 7000 people are being made redundant. Its a level of desperation that this move is being made such a big deal of.

"The Netherlands’ biggest financial firm said currency, derivatives and interest rate traders will move from Brussels to London, along with some foreign exchange options, rates and fixed income staff from Amsterdam. Up to 60 people are thought to be affected by this plan"
    60 traders is not upto 60 people. Support staff will follow too, though that figure has yet to be determined.

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/brexit-cheer-as-ing-traders-move-to-london-a3369236.html
  • Options
    edited October 2016

AndyJS said:

Evidence?
    They can't afford them.
    But apart from a minor tax exemption, the poor aren't paying for private schools as they are with grammar schools.

Edit: And parents who are sending their kids to fee paying schools are doing the poor a favour, and making sure the government doesn't pay to educate their kids.

I have no problem at all with fee paying schools.

But I do recognise how tin-earred it sounds to say to the poor that they cannot have the sort of aspiration that the elites can. The key to grammar schools is the aspirational factor.

This will never be disproved by 'useful' figures based on a now very small subset of the old grammar set up which happen to be in very wealthy areas.

Edit: Osbornite policy was often tin-earred - it alienated in it's smug superiority in a way Mayism doesn't at the moment....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Evidence?
    They can't afford them.

Are the poor paying taxes? I thought Osborne ensured they'd been taken out of tax.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

You claim he wrote a "paean to EU membership" and implied he is a "dishonest politician". The article says "He had already penned one piece arguing the case for "out", then wrote the "remain" article as a way of clarifying his thoughts, before composing a final article backing Brexit for publication."

"The book dispels the myth that Johnson's case for "remain" was better than his argument to "leave". In fact the article was dashed off quickly and seems to be an attempt by Johnson to convince himself the case for staying in was weak."

Some "paean". Some "dishonesty". It is in fact standard rigorous procedure to test both hypothesis before coming to a conclusion. *rolleyes*
    Just let me check that I understand your defence correctly.

You're saying that he didn't write a paean to EU membership because - although he did write an article praising EU membership to the skies, he didn't believe a word of it. And you're saying that he isn't a dishonest politician because - although he did write an article praising EU membership to the skies, he didn't believe a word of it.

I must admit I come from a scientific rather than a political background. But from that perspective, testing hypotheses is quite a different thing from writing articles chock-full of rubbish you don't believe, and circulating them to a wide audience.
  • Options
    Damn you Boris, I need more time to revise my morning thread.

Instead you're all getting a 100/1 tip thread in the morning
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Just let me check that I understand your defence correctly.

You're saying that he didn't write a paean to EU membership because - although he did write an article praising EU membership to the skies, he didn't believe a word of it. And you're saying that he isn't a dishonest politician because - although he did write an article praising EU membership to the skies, he didn't believe a word of it.

I must admit I come from a scientific rather than a political background. But from that perspective, testing hypotheses is quite a different thing from writing articles chock-full of rubbish you don't believe, and circulating them to a wide audience.
    Except he didn't "circulate them to a wide audience", he sent one article only to publication which was his finished piece. His original Brexit piece as revised following doing his own opposition piece.

Have you never tested a competing hypothesis or played devil's advocate? Are you a liar if you do either? He is a writer and did the literary equivalent.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Evidence?
    They can't afford them.

I have no problem at all with fee paying schools.

But I do recognise how tin-earred it sounds to say to the poor that they cannot have the sort of aspiration that the elites can. The key to grammar schools is the aspirational factor.

This will never be disproved by 'useful' figures based on a now very small subset of the old grammar set up which happen to be in very wealthy areas.

Edit: Osbornite policy was often tin-earred - it alienated in it's smug superiority in a way Mayism doesn't at the moment....
    I'm with Team Gove, the best thing you can for the poor and the aspiring classes is to improve the state sector schools.

Gove showed it is possible.

At conference you'd be surprised how many people said May's grammar school policies was tin eared, as they seemed to consistently ignore questions about what happens to the kids that don't get into the new grammar schools.
This discussion has been closed.