Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Trump does win it will make a mockery of the “rule” that th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Trump does win it will make a mockery of the “rule” that the one with the best ratings takes the crown

"undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper&&(window.datawrapper={}),window.datawrapper["cLgfA"]={},window.datawrapper["cLgfA"].embedDeltas={"100":752.8,"200":653.8,"300":626.8,"400":599.8,"500":599.8,"600":599.8,"700":572.8,"800":572.8,"900":572.8,"1000":572.8},window.datawrapper["cLgfA"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-cLgfA"),window.datawrapper["cLgfA"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["cLgfA"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["cLgfA"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])"cLgfA"==b&&(window.datawrapper["cLgfA"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px")});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    First like Clinton and Jack's Arse
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Second, like the GOP if they keep nominating crazy racists like Trump
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited November 2016
    2nd like Donald
    3rd like the American people, presented with such a stupid choice.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    4th like Gary Johnson in Utah
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Has there ever been an election where both candidates were so universally disliked?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    Whateverth, like Bernie Sanders write-in.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited November 2016
    8th, like Mitt Romney.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Has there ever been an election where both candidates were so universally disliked?

Labour Leadership election?
  • Options
    Historically, Clinton's ratings are quite dire.

She's lucky the GOP chose the one candidate who is even worse than Clinton.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    619 said:
    He's good at this inadvertent voter suppression isn't he...
  • Options
    619 said:
    'Diaper Don' has certainly inherited his dad's charm.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Labour Leadership election?
    Yes, Owen thingy was a bit shit wasn't he.
  • Options
    The @BullCityVA poll watcher twitter isn't a great sign for the Democrats in North Carolina imo.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MaxPB said:

Yes, Owen thingy was a bit shit wasn't he.

Who?
  • Options

619 said:
    'Diaper Don' has certainly inherited his dad's charm.
    Just realised, if we followed Ann Coulter's logic, Don Junior, and the rest of the Trump kids wouldn't have a vote in this election.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Isn't it quite close, though? This bars seem around 4 points or fewer apart.
  • Options

Just realised, if we followed Ann Coulter's logic, Don Junior, and the rest of the Trump kids wouldn't have a vote in this election.

Neither would Trump apparently
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in transparent news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37909299
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Amusing
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not universally disliked - both are liked by their core supporters. Actually quite a few of those who dislike both might not be swing voters and moderates but Sanderistas or Ted Cruz 'true conservative' types.

• Options
    So - is Votecastr tech not working, or are the results inconvenient to their agenda ?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Votecastr looks to be a bust.

It's supposed to be running the live war room, there's nothing there.
  • Options
    It's tragic to see such big red lines. Though I guess not surprising. How did this end up the battle in a system of primaries? Surely one party should have found a decent candidate?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So - is Votecastr tech not working, or are the results inconvenient to their agenda ?

Could be either or both. Still absolutely bollocks though. What a waste of time.

Old media 1 - 0 New media
  • Options
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

The @BullCityVA poll watcher twitter isn't a great sign for the Democrats in North Carolina imo.

Blimey, sounds a bit systematic.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

The Vice feed claims to be going live in 8 minutes
  • Options
    Trump, Clinton holding steady at 4-1, 1-4.

You could probably take either side of that and cash in in the coming hours.
  • Options
  • Options
    619 said:
    The top stallion looks to have good strong lines I think.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Blimey, sounds a bit systematic.
    Well I could do with North Carolina going republican, but the suppression sounds bad.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    On topic, we need to keep in mind that this is an electoral college system, I'm not sure national favourability figures mean a lot when in reality it's a handful of states that will decide the outcome.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Chillax. All of the north-eastern hipsters who went to Duke and stayed in Durham will finish their organic latte,cycle to the polling station, vote Sanders, er Clinton, and then retire for a glass or two of craft beer and a bite to eat at Bull City Burger & Brewery on East Parrish Street.

That's the demographic that is swinging NC blue.
  • Options
    619 said:

Roger stone of the trump train

Trump's goose sounds cooked to me in NV.
  • Options
    Quite a bit of writing in Bernie Sanders going on. Not sure how much of it's in swing states.
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=wrote in&src=typd
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Amusing
    It's the people with *more* than four grandparents born in the US I'm interest in...

I think a considerable number of Presidents fail her test.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    The polls have got it right. It is the voters that are wrong.
  • Options
    Easiest way to remember all U.S. states and their capitals! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wkBaBKD0A
  • Options
    Vice News / Votecastr stream going live on the hour. Allegedly.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwGlqrP1-E
  • Options
    John K Stahl ‏@JohnKStahlUSA 15h15 hours ago
    We need to turnout Catholics, NRA members, Independents, Military, Cops and the base. HRC is going down. #tcot #ccot #gop #maga

Rofl, if NRA members aren't the base, who is :D
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Quite a bit of writing in Bernie Sanders going on. Not sure how much of it's in swing states.

Will he beat Mitt Romney ?

Seeing as it happened in New Hampshire midnight voting, I'd say blowhards on both sides will be writing in Romney/Sanders. They won't care if they're in a swing state.
  • Options

I wrote in Bernie Sanders for the PCC elections. Does that count?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Will he beat Mitt Romney ?

Seeing as it happened in New Hampshire midnight voting, I'd say blowhards on both sides will be writing in Romney/Sanders. They won't care if they're in a swing state.
    I think so. Might end up behind Evan McMullin, though.
  • Options
    619 said:
    'A vote for Trump is worth a thimbleful of frozen horse jizz' has a certain ring to it.
  • Options

I wrote in Bernie Sanders for the PCC elections. Does that count?
    Maybe not.
  • Options
    Vice is live
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/EllieAnnMusic/status/795977373036453888

Hillary racking up the votes in Boston !
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Amusing
    It's the people with *more* than four grandparents born in the US I'm interest in...

The Bushs are in, Reagan is out.
  • Options

If this were to happen the place this would hurt Clinton is in the rust belt. Everywhere else the Bernie bros are concentrated in fairly safe states.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Meanwhile, in transparent news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37909299

The High Court has opened a can of worms with its ruling.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've stood on those steps
  • Options
    FFS Votecastr are going to have a live interview with Jill Stein. DON'T GIVE HER PUBLICITY.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not very helpful really.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FFS Votecastr are going to have a live interview with Jill Stein. DON'T GIVE HER PUBLICITY.

Lol - ye she is the real enemy.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

I reckon the first 20 odd must be ineligible by the times they lived in.
  • Options
    Dave Chapelle also getting some traction.

Does this stuff get tabulated? It might make an interesting market...
  • Options
    Turnout anecdote #2:

Benedick ‏@BenedickUSA 1h1 hour ago
    Suburban Pittsburgh, PA: Elderly veteran Poll volunteer said early turnout like nothing he's ever seen.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    Votecastr: "We've created an organisation comparable to what a campaign might have".

This is such a load of old cock it's laughable.

Mind you, they're probably up to something. I wonder what it is.
  • Options
    ***** Betting Post *****

A few days sgo, I suggested a modest flutter on Florida at 25/1 to win Ladbrokes' intriguing "Clinton Firewall Finder" market, where one has to work down a list of States and identify the first one which will be won by Hillary.
    That 25/1 shot has since shortened to just 5/1, which is fine and dandy insofar as things go, but as I see things, the major possible obstacle appears to be Ohio, two places up the list from Florida which the redoubtable JackW has identified this morning as a Hillary win and I consider therefore that it's worth at least a "saver" or possibly a bet in its own right to be the winner of this market, where the odds are currently 8/1.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    10,000 per state is a decent number. Shame it was by landline.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Votecastr: "We've created an organisation comparable to what a campaign might have".

This is such a load of old cock it's laughable.

Mind you, they're probably up to something. I wonder what it is.

Perhaps they mean Trump campaign...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    This Votecastr programme looks like bollocks. They're not actually talking to anyone as they vote, they're only in eight states (not including NC). If their guy has to speak for 10 minutes and can't explain what he's actually doing then I can't see this is helpful.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

This Votecastr programme looks like bollocks. They're not actually talking to anyone as they vote, they're only in eight states (not including NC). If their guy has to speak for 10 minutes and can't explain what he's actually doing then I can't see this is helpful.

From what I can gather. 10,000 person survey per state. Poll watchers report turnout and demographics which are aggregated vs their survey.

So it might well be a good source for turnout data for those betting on that market but otherwise I'm not being that impressed at the moment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

Suburban Pittsburgh, PA: Elderly veteran Poll volunteer said early turnout like nothing he's ever seen.

Turnout anecdotes are normally bollocks but I'm happy with my buy on it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

On topic, we need to keep in mind that this is an electoral college system, I'm not sure national favourability figures mean a lot when in reality it's a handful of states that will decide the outcome.

For all its faults UNS works well in the UK.

What swings it one way nationally in the USA will do the same in FOP.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Woodrow Wilson and Reagan are both out, for example.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Not many people have *more* than 4 grandparents - There may be one or two in a few decades due to gene splicing etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

From what I can gather. 10,000 person survey per state. Poll watchers report turnout and demographics which are aggregated vs their survey.

So it might well be a good source for turnout data for those betting on that market but otherwise I'm not being that impressed at the moment.
    They said the interviews had been done in advance.

Now, after 12 minutes on the air they're taking a 35-minute 'break' according to the clock on the screen.

Looks like typical new media hype-driven balloney, with apps and internets.

Will check back in a few hours to see what they're actually *doing*
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Anecdote #n - My american co-worker just admitted that his postal vote was a write-in Romney vote. (He's from NJ originally so reckons it ain't going to make a difference and despite being a solid Republican couldn't bring himself to vote Trump)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,461
    edited November 2016

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Interesting. Obama too.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    Can’t believe we’re still discussing a Trump win at this late stage of the game?

Anyhows, good luck to all PB punters, hope your winnings are big and your losses affordable.
  • Options
    Who holds the record for most votes cast for them in a Presidential Election? Who is the John Major of US Presidential politics?

I suspect Hillary will break the record today.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

So is JFK, I think. His mother's parents were Irish émigrés I think.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MaxPB said:

Blair and Howard in 2005?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Not many people have *more* than 4 grandparents - There may be one or two in a few decades due to gene splicing etc.
    Depends if you count step-grandparents etc.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    According to this, Votecastr will have representatives at 100 precincts. Nate Cohn doesn't like them.
  • Options

Who holds the record for most votes cast for them in a Presidential Election? Who is the John Major of US Presidential politics?

Barack Obama, 69 million in 2008
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

weejonnie said:

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Depends if you count step-grandparents etc.
    I don't think it was intended to include step-grandparents given the intention of the tweet.
  • Options

Obama in 08 had 69m
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

In UK terms, that must be "brisk" rather than "steady".
  • Options

BO in 2008 - 69,498,516
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

What % turnout are you hoping for?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    this will be well received, I am sure...
    https://twitter.com/frasernelson/status/795995434972049408
  • Options

I would be surprised since neither HRC nor DJT are enthusuastically supported by mainstream party members. Some will vote Sanders, some Romney, some won't vote.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,461
    edited November 2016
    Good day to bury bad news.

Operation Midland riddled with police errors, report finds

Inquiry finds Met officers misled judge to obtain search warrants during investigation into VIP paedophile ring claims

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/08/operation-midland-riddled-with-met-police-errors-report-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Hillary's grandfather was born in County Durham. His dad worked down the pit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

this will be well received, I am sure...
    https://twitter.com/frasernelson/status/795995434972049408

Will go down a storm with our Leaver friends on here.
  • Options

Inquiry finds Met officers misled judge to obtain search warrants during investigation into VIP paedophile ring claims

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/08/operation-midland-riddled-with-met-police-errors-report-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is willfully misleading a judge not perjury?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Obama in 08 had 69m
    Hillary should break 70 million today.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's all sorts of things.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

What % turnout are you hoping for?
    58-62 for me (Betfair band) zeroed other side of it, bust on the top band and lower than 54.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I think it comes under, perverting the course of justice.
  • Options
    Excellent Hispanic, African-American, Asian, millennial, women, educated, LGBT, legal immigrant turnout today in Shaw. Close race here in DC

Rofl
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

According to this, Votecastr will have representatives at 100 precincts. Nate Cohn doesn't like them.

Could be useful in terms of pushing out Hillary's odds though?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It is a great many things.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ToryJim said:

Obama in 08 had 69m
    Hillary should break 70 million today.
    The horrendous thought is that 70 million is what? 25% or 30% of the entire Amercian voting population. No doubt the resident Corbynistas here will scream she doesn't have a mandate.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Scott_P said:

Amusing

Which ones?

Hillary's grandfather was born in County Durham. His dad worked down the pit.
    When Britain sends its people......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Jobabob said:

i thought it only went live at 11am eastern
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    About Votecastr and it's turnout projections

The VoteCastr model makes no effort to adjust for this. It will treat turnout as if it’s uniform throughout the day: If 10 percent of the day has passed, it will expect 10 percent of the vote to be counted. This can cause considerable variance in the estimates as the hours go by.

DANGER, DNAGER, DANGER.
This discussion has been closed.