Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s a fallacy to presume that 60% of those who’ll actually vo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s a fallacy to presume that 60% of those who’ll actually vote in the Copeland by-election will have backed

if("undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper)window.datawrapper={};window.datawrapper["KBuvc"]={},window.datawrapper["KBuvc"].embedDeltas={"100":971.8,"200":735.8,"300":663.8,"400":644.8,"500":599.8,"600":599.8,"700":599.8,"800":572.8,"900":553.8,"1000":553.8},window.datawrapper["KBuvc"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-KBuvc"),window.datawrapper["KBuvc"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["KBuvc"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["KBuvc"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])if("KBuvc"==b)window.datawrapper["KBuvc"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px"});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    For the first time since the referendum, there's a seriously contested by-election in which there is some point in voting Labour. Will Labour voters take the opportunity to do so?
  • Options
    2nd, like Labour
  • Options
    Ah differential turnout.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    welshowl said:

@rcs1000

Re Apple Tax. Sure, I was being lazy and your knowledge of the detail is greater than mine, but the point I was clumsily making was that, in my view, harmonised tax rates are just the sort of thing that the EU will move onto. If you're big enough and ugly enough in EU terms (Germany, France for sure, and probably Italy, Spain, Poland) you might be able to kick up enough fuss to deflect it a bit (though I despaired we ourselves as the UK really had that much influence if I'm honest). If you're Portgual, or say the Czech Republic, let alone Ireland, Latvia, Cyprus (or Scotland) you are in all likelihood going to get steamrollered. Liverpool can shout all it likes about tax rates but with half a dozen MP's (1% or so) it's totally powerless on its own.

There's certainly a desire by the French, and some others, to 'ban' tax competition. During the height of the Eurozone crisis, when Ireland was bust, they attempted to blackmail Ireland into changing its tax policy as a quid quo pro for rescue.

The Irish government refused, and said they would rather go bust and crash out the Eurozone than change their tax policy.

For this reason, I doubt the treaties will be changed any time soon. Low corporate tax rates are such a crucial part of the success of Ireland, Malta and others, that none of these countries will cut their own throats. Instead, what's happened is that the French, Italians, etc are all cutting their own corporate tax rates. As the gap naturally narrows, the pressure for change diminishes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    This is a good point, and could help Labour a bit.
  • Options
    LibDems heading down on BF
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Can't quite get my head around what the unit on y axis is really telling us...

But I think the overall point is true.

Is the general consensus on here that this is by-election is a good test of Corbyn?

And if he comes through it well... Will that shift some convictions that he is unlectable... Or at least that he is an inevitable electoral disaster?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    I think Copeland may have recorded the lowest Alliance share of the vote in England in 1987, although I'll have to check it. They got 9.1% that year.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    rkrkrk said:

Can't quite get my head around what the unit on y axis is really telling us...

But I think the overall point is true.

Is the general consensus on here that this is by-election is a good test of Corbyn?

And if he comes through it well... Will that shift some convictions that he is unlectable... Or at least that he is an inevitable electoral disaster?

I doubt it will shift views. Labour's vote has held up in by-elections before, albeit in safe seats where people wondered if people would not turnout for them under corbyn while still winning, but at the end of the day governments very very rarely have gains at by-elections, so even if in the present circumstances many might think or hope the Tories will win, due to the Corbyn factor, and it would disappoint, I doubt it will be seen as proof Corbyn will not be an electoral disaster.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think Copeland may have recorded the lowest Alliance share of the vote in England in 1987, although I'll have to check it. They got 9.1% that year.

Nailed on LibDem gain, you reckon?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    FPT:
    Fishing said:

@Mr Meeks

"a very important by-election"

That's an oxymoron. By-elections may be many things. They are fun, good betting opportunities and fascinating for political junkies. But important? Not really, especially one in mid-term, which only political obsessives will remember a year later.

Not saying that this will happen this time, but is it not the case that the Eastbourne by election was a contributory factor to the end of Thatcher? A bad defeat for Corbyn might not necessarily spell the end for him, but it might be the confirmation that Labour moderates have been looking for to make them consider their options.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Surely Labour will pick a pro-nuclear candidate?

That will clear one hurdle, but will Corbyn then dare to visit? You can imagine the press conference ... "Mr Corbyn, what is you view on Sellafield?"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    I hope that this by-election isn't fought as a rerun of the Brexit referendum. A contest between Labour and Tory, focusing on a range of issues including the ecenomy, health and education (and of course nuclear power in that neck of the woods), would be much more refreshing, and a better pointer to 2020.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Have I missed the part of the thread headehwhere OGH provides any evidence whatsoever for his claim?

The only by-election where the referendum was a large issue resulted in the Remain candidate significantly under-performing the local Remain vote, whilst the Leave candidate significantly out-performed the local Leave vote. And yet you've used that same result to claim the yellow peril (and labour if they're daft enough to draft a remainer) will out-perform the Remain vote this time.

Non sequitor I'm afraid.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited December 2016
    @rcs1000

Good for the Irish for calling the bluff. Balls of steel in that situation.

Still in my view the likely direction of EU travel is towards harmonising where they can. "Ever closer union" and all that. It has a perfect logic of course, if the end goal is a full union, and it's a perfectly respectable thing for folk to campaign for and openly convince others. I personally don't want that, and I think the EU would do itself a service if it was more open about such aims rather than giving the appearance of doing it all round the back door.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Have I missed the part of the thread headehwhere OGH provides any evidence whatsoever for his claim?

The only by-election where the referendum was a large issue resulted in the Remain candidate significantly under-performing the local Remain vote, whilst the Leave candidate significantly out-performed the local Leave vote. And yet you've used that same result to claim the yellow peril (and labour if they're daft enough to draft a remainer) will out-perform the Remain vote this time.

Non sequitor I'm afraid.

The graph atop the thread header?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Is the argument here essentially that by some miracle the lib dems will actually have a chance of taking the seat? I can see it being a straight out fight between lab and cons.
  • Options
    Thank goodness. Identifying practical antonyms is important business that often gets overlooked.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited December 2016

maaarsh said:

Non sequitor I'm afraid.

The graph atop the thread header?
    What's that got to do with the claim about Leave turnout?!

If you look at the stats, Maarsh is right. Remain won far more easily than the Lib Dems in Richmond, so the claim that Leavers turned out more in the ref, and the inference that Remain parties will outperform the Ref result, is not backed up by reality.
  • Options

Is the argument here essentially that by some miracle the lib dems will actually have a chance of taking the seat? I can see it being a straight out fight between lab and cons.

No, Mike's argument is that the Lib Dems are positioning themselves as the voice of the 48%, whereas Labour seem inclined to piss off both the 48% and the 52%.

If the Lib Dems do well, Mike's not unreasonable expectation is that will take votes from Labour and hand the seat to the Tories.

As I said last night, the Tories could win this seat by standing still.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    The last three by-elections have given Leave candidates higher vote shares than Leave got in the Referendum. But, Leave/Remain is not the only factor in each by-election.
  • Options

Presume more that they may, only may, be able to have an impact on the result, despite small percentage, given the closeness between the contenders and the contention the LDs are more likely to get an increase (particularly from their low position) than the others.
  • Options
    TSE - I'm struggling to see any connection between the graph and the conclusion.

In Richmond the Lib Dems had great growth in vote share, boosting that chart, but if they're the voice of the 48%, then the performance was terrible for Remain which should have been hitting 70% in Richmond.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Surely Labour will pick a pro-nuclear candidate?

That will clear one hurdle, but will Corbyn then dare to visit? You can imagine the press conference ... "Mr Corbyn, what is you view on Sellafield?"

Well Corbyn is in favour of nuclear submarines with out nuclear weapons, perhaps he's in favour of nuclear plants that don't use nuclear material
  • Options
    It's strange that some people - Leavers in particular - are still obsessed with the Leave/Remain distinction. There was loads of talk yesterday of the Labour/Tories having to choose a Leaver etc. etc. Why? Brexit is now a fait accompli, and the political distinction between those who voted in or out about as relevant as that between Cavaliers and Roundheads. Some people just need to let go.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

TSE - I'm struggling to see any connection between the graph and the conclusion.

In Richmond the Lib Dems had great growth in vote share, boosting that chart, but if they're the voice of the 48%, then the performance was terrible for Remain which should have been hitting 70% in Richmond.

I'll ask Mike to explain his conclusions, he'll do a better job than me.
  • Options

It's strange that some people - Leavers in particular - are still obsessed with the Leave/Remain distinction. There was loads of talk yesterday of the Labour/Tories having to choose a Leaver etc. etc. Why? Brexit is now a fait accompli, and the political distinction between those who voted in or out about as relevant as that between Cavaliers and Roundheads. Some people just need to let go.

Some remainers still hope to stop Brexit and some leavers are still paranoid the former will succeed - until we are more fully onthe path expect the 'need' to pick a particularlt type of candidate to continue.
  • Options
    Stark_Dawning - I wasn't aware that OGH was a Leaver?

It is considered polite to discuss a thread header you know, at least for the first few posts.
  • Options
    Every which way of election analysis points to around 10-11% for the Lib Dems. Assuming 5-6% for the remainder (BNP, Loonies, Green say 3 or 4%) how do we distribute the remaining 84% ?

If Con go back 10 that is 26%, Lab back 6 yields 36%. UKIP back 4 yields 11%.

Clearly all those can't happen.

That gives

Lab 36%
    Con 26%
    UKIP 11%
    LD 11%
    Green 3%
    Others 2%

Say

Which sums through to 89%

UKIP started out on roughly the same % here as Sleaford, and only went back 2 there.

So perhaps we can see the same here - UKIP 13%. 11% would be a decent increase in actual votes for the Lib Dems and so I can't push them up any more.

That means Lab/Con need to sum to 61% whereas it heads to 52% at the moment.

A completely different method of analysis from Hykeham (% vote retention) leads to Tories 40%, Lab 30%.

Splitting the difference on the Lab gives 33%, splitting to the Tories gives 33%. Perhaps UKIP will field a better candidate though (Ayling was dire), and even head forward. UKIP +2% to 17% maybe - they went forward in Oldham but the Tory vote collapsed... The Tories start much stronger here.

Now we're at:

Lab ??%
    Con ??%
    UKIP 17%
    LD 11%
    Green 3%
    Others 2%

A good candidate might be able to stop the rot for Labour

Con 33.5; Lab 33.5
    UKIP 17
    LD 11
    Green 3
    Others 2

^_~
  • Options
    welshowl said:

@rcs1000

Good for the Irish for calling the bluff. Balls of steel in that situation.

Still in my view the likely direction of EU travel is towards harmonising where they can. "Ever closer union" and all that. It has a perfect logic of course, if the end goal is a full union, and it's a perfectly respectable thing for folk to campaign for and openly convince others. I personally don't want that, and I think the EU would do itself a service if it was more open about such aims rather than giving the appearance of doing it all round the back door.

I don't disagree, and the fact that the EU is - in the longer run - moving towards being a single country is one of the key reasons why I voted Leave.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Is that a polite way of saying you don't understand either? :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Really? I, someone who voted Leave, said yesterday that the terms were redundant, as we are all leaving. This thread was written by a staunch Europhile who, apart from missing the word Leave (presumably) out of the title, wrote it using the words you mention in capitals on more than one occassion.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    @TSE

Please god no. No more effing stupid internet lingo please.

I have yet to hear a single person vocalise the phrase virtue signalling. I doubt I will ever hear 'vice signalling' away from the weirdo world of internet forums either. Ditto SJW, handwaving, and the utterly moronic 'waycist'.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I think in an alternative universe where the Labour mainstream were good at politics this by election would have been crucial to Corbyn. What they should have done when he was elected was support him fully and publicly. My guess is that Labour would be polling a couple of points ahead of where they are now, but not looking like they will win in 2020. If they lost this by election it would then be fair to conclude that nice guy as he is, Corbyn is not the answer to the party's real problems and it is time to look for someone who is.

The trouble is that as it stands it is impossible to work out why Labour is doing so badly. Is it the disloyalty of the plotters? Is it failing to get its message over? Does it need to change its message? Would things be fine with another leader?

If 2016 has taught us anything it is that nobody knows anything. As it stands it isn't impossible that Corbyn is the only factor that is keeping the Labour vote up even as high as it is. Given that activists in all parties are prone to believe what they want to believe if they possibly can, I don't see any result from this by election shifting their support for him. I don't think they are right, but what do I know?
  • Options
    @Kle4

Or people could just endeavour to speak English instead?
  • Options
    You're right it won't be 60% it will be more as the elderly etc (who back Leave) will be the ones who turnout in a low turnout election.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The last three by-elections have given Leave candidates higher vote shares than Leave got in the Referendum. But, Leave/Remain is not the only factor in each by-election.

A good point and one we should keep in the forefront of our minds. Brexit was an issue in Richmond because the Lib Dems made it one and they were able to do so there in no small part because the normal party line-up wasn't present and because the issue Zac wanted to campaign on made no sense given that there was no pro-LHR3 candidate. Copeland will be different.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2016
    The bar chart shows us:

LibDems had a dire 2015 election and as is predictable are recovering.
    Tory are still in power and as is predictable suffer vote loss in by elections.
    UKIP are in turmoil and as expected are seeing a reduced vote.
    Labour are unelectable and as expected are shedding voters in all directions.

The unknown in this by election is how the debate will have moved on from 'Remainers' vs 'Leavers'

We will be in a different situation where those labels will have become historic and irrelevant.

We will be post Article 50 so the debate will be far more focused on the issues, terms and media coverage of the negotiations. There will no longer be any point in identification as 'Remainer' or 'Leaver'

This election will be the first of a new period where leaving the EU is tangible as the process will be started and the clock ticking.

The question will be do the electorate buy into the LibDem second referendum on the terms idea or the proposition of the Labour, UKIP or Tory party?

It is a new canvas for our politicians to paint for us. Who will have the artwork that we are most attracted to?
  • Options
    FPT the death penalty in Japan, the most disturbing thing is that you're never given a date for your execution. Every night, you go to bed in the knowledge that you may be hanged in the morning (or may never be). That must be an immense psychological burden.

I've often thought that death would be preferable to life without parole in some of the US maximum security prisons. Spending every waking hour in a small concrete sound-proofed cell, with artificial light, where you will never see the outside world again, must be hell.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

@Kle4

Or people could just endeavour to speak English instead?

??
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited December 2016

maaarsh said:

Nah, it's more to avoid confusion given last night people got very excited thinking Mike was predicting a Lib Dem gain in the previous thread when he did no such thing.

In the past some posters seemed to struggle that Mike and I are two different people with differing opinions and interpretations of things.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    It's also a fallacy to think that voters in the by-election will view it through the same Leave/Remain prism that the referendum was fought on. People have had their say and in most cases moved on. If the LDs do badly here it will be because they are weak in West Cumberland, not for any reasons specifically connected to the referendum.

What 60% leave does give us, though, is an indication of the temper of the constituency, and a suggestion that the owls-for-immigrants-transgender-rights-for-Palestine agenda of the leadership might not reflect the mood of Whitehaven's labour voters.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I'm thinking it'll be a close fight between Tory vs Labour - expect a Labour win.

Corbyn is safe IMO, a loss would be blamed on the previous MP conduct /criticism of leadership

Assuming the CLP pick a local pro nuclear Leaver...

Pick a Remain CND sort and it's all to play for
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    The result of Copeland won't matter one jot to Corbyn. Three quarters of his own MPs think he's a loony tune (they are correct), so why would a mere by-election bother him? He'll sail merrily on with his demented supporters, who'll keep telling him he's Britain's saviour. The only thing that will shift the barnacle off the bottom of Labour's rusting bulkhead is the grim reaper.
  • Options
    @Kle4

Rather than coining dimwit buzz phrases like 'virtue signalling' and 'vice signalling' which mean nothing – absolutely nothing – to the 95% of people who don't spend their lives among the nerds of internet forums.

SJW, handwaving and the moron detector 'waycist' (thanks to TSE for the moron detector bit) fall into the same category.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I think the graph is understandable but based on too few numbers to be meaningful. To win the by-election the Liberals need to increase their vote share percentage by several hundred percent (I can mangle stats too).

OGH is suggesting they should increase their vote share, which is almost certain, but he's not suggesting they will win.

Apologies if I've misunderstand.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I think the graph is understandable but based on too few numbers to be meaningful. To win the by-election the Liberals need to increase their vote share percentage by several hundred percent (I can mangle stats too).

OGH is suggesting they should increase their vote share, which is almost certain, but he's not suggesting they will win.

Indeed, you are correct in your understandings.
  • Options

I think in an alternative universe where the Labour mainstream were good at politics this by election would have been crucial to Corbyn. What they should have done when he was elected was support him fully and publicly. My guess is that Labour would be polling a couple of points ahead of where they are now, but not looking like they will win in 2020. If they lost this by election it would then be fair to conclude that nice guy as he is, Corbyn is not the answer to the party's real problems and it is time to look for someone who is.

The trouble is that as it stands it is impossible to work out why Labour is doing so badly. Is it the disloyalty of the plotters? Is it failing to get its message over? Does it need to change its message? Would things be fine with another leader?

If 2016 has taught us anything it is that nobody knows anything. As it stands it isn't impossible that Corbyn is the only factor that is keeping the Labour vote up even as high as it is. Given that activists in all parties are prone to believe what they want to believe if they possibly can, I don't see any result from this by election shifting their support for him. I don't think they are right, but what do I know?

"As it stands it isn't impossible that Corbyn is the only factor that is keeping the Labour vote up even as high as it is"

It is impossible. Check his approval ratings: they're amongst the worst of any leader of the opposition, ever. There may well be other reasons that Labour's massively under-performing where an opposition should be at this stage if it has aspirations of government or simply of just making gains next time - indeed, there are other reasons, including those you note - but Corbyn is chief among them, not least because his leadership is so tied up with policy and with an unruly PLP.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Nah, it's more to avoid confusion given last night people got very excited thinking Mike was predicting a Lib Dem gain in the previous thread when he did no such thing.

In the past some posters seemed to struggle that Mike and I are two different people with differing opinions and interpretations of things.

CD13 said:

Indeed, you are correct in your understandings.
    Eh?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm thinking it'll be a close fight between Tory vs Labour - expect a Labour win.

Corbyn is safe IMO, a loss would be blamed on the previous MP conduct /criticism of leadership

Assuming the CLP pick a local pro nuclear Leaver...

Pick a Remain CND sort and it's all to play for

Agree with this.

Labour can decide whether they want to win this or not.

The LDs can point to any increase and claim improvement. No real incentive to over invest.

Conservatives, if they lose, can shrug and point out that Governments don't win by-elections from the Opposition. Plus, if they win, it could destabilise Corbyn. No real incentive to over invest.

Labour has to choose how they play this. The wrong candidate could lose this (I expect this to be a very local campaign).

I would say that normally Labour would be keen to ensure a win. But Corbyn's Labour gives off a vibe of not really caring about electoral success.

Edit: Leave v Remain won't be particularly salient in this election.
  • Options
    CD13 - no, his specific conclusion is that Remain voters will turn out more than Leave voters, which is backed by nothing in that chart or any recent by-election (quite the opposite if we are to stick with the Lib Dem position of forever grouping people through this particular issue)
  • Options
    Jason said:

The result of Copeland won't matter one jot to Corbyn. Three quarters of his own MPs think he's a loony tune (they are correct), so why would a mere by-election bother him? He'll sail merrily on with his demented supporters, who'll keep telling him he's Britain's saviour. The only thing that will shift the barnacle off the bottom of Labour's rusting bulkhead is the grim reaper.

People like NickP will be instructive. He voted for him twice; in 2015 because he felt Labour needed a change and in 2016 because he didn't think the case against Corbyn proven (if I recall correctly). Those are not unequivocal endorsements. It'd be interesting to know his thoughts now. I've not seen him post for a little while and wonder whether that of itself might be a telling sign as to a shift in his opinion of Corbyn, given his consistent loyalty to Labour's leader of the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Further thinking out loud

What happens if the Lib Dems do well, really well - perhaps 11% is not the ceiling here. Say maybe 17% even, UKIP ~ 17% too

That leaves 61% for Con + Lab

The biggest Con/Lab swing so far of the three elections was 2.2% to Con in Sleaford. That was more leavy, and Labour turnout would be extremely unmotivated there.

Lab 31%, Con 30% here maybe.

This would fit almost all the narratives:

A swing to Con - a very good result for the Lib Dems, a poor result for UKIP (Just 3rd, not heading backwards in terms of vote %), Labour winning but down to a historically low vote %.

Tories poised to collect (If no boundary reviews) at the GE - like Eastleigh.

& With that reasoning I've backed £20 of Labour @ 2.58 to rebalance slightly.

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    UKIP 17.5%
    Lib Dem 16.5%
    Green 3%
    Others 2%

• Options
    Mike
    I think the thread title is missing a final word ('Leave')
  • Options
    It's also a mistake to see 60% of the people who voted in Copeland in June as "Brexiteers" and 40% as "Remainers" as if it is their defining political characteristic.

Sure, Brexit is the "big" issue in UK politics at the moment, but there are lots of people who vote on the basis of the NHS, or the top rate of tax, or local bus services in their town etc. Those people haven't suddenly gone away. It is often forgotten that the vast majority of people who voted in June haven't been squawking about it incessantly on political websites and Twitter ever since - often, it just isn't that big an issue on their personal agenda.

So Labour will target large numbers of people who feel left behind and ignored by the Government who happened to vote Leave, while the Tories will similarly target plenty of people who would prefer May as PM than Corbyn, notwithstanding that they voted to Remain.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited December 2016
    Given that this by-election probably won't take place for another 4-5 months, the value bet at the moment surely has to be Labour at current prices.

Their vote seems more resilient oop North than polls suggest it should be.

There has been less wall to wall negativity in the media over the past couple of months or so since JC has been re-elected, as a at least some kind of temporary truce appears to have been called by the PLP. This may start being reflected in the polls, the one last week which showed Labour recovering to GE 2015 was quickly called an outlier by many on here and it might well have been, but it is is also just possible that it could be the first signs of a reaction to the scaling down of hostilities against Corbyn recently by the PLP and also in the media.

Article 50 should have been instigated by then and we will probably be in the early stages of our negotiations with the EU and as in all negotiations, neither side is likely to be giving much ground in the early stages, so there is likely to be a lot of frustration that perhaps the government are not making much positive progress towards a less bumpy Brexit.

The election is likely to come a few weeks after the March budget and it is unlikely to provide too much cheer. Inflation is also likely to be creeping up a little.

All in all, this far out, I would say it is a toss-up which, depending upon events and the candidates chosen, could go either way. For that reason, at this stage, the value has to be with Labour in the betting markets.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT the death penalty in Japan, the most disturbing thing is that you're never given a date for your execution. Every night, you go to bed in the knowledge that you may be hanged in the morning (or may never be). That must be an immense psychological burden.

I've often thought that death would be preferable to life without parole in some of the US maximum security prisons. Spending every waking hour in a small concrete sound-proofed cell, with artificial light, where you will never see the outside world again, must be hell.

Super Max is inhumane - and some deserve it.
  • Options
    @BudG For sure at current prices, the 7-4 Labour is the best bet there is. Hills won't let me on this now.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

What happens if the Lib Dems do well, really well - perhaps 11% is not the ceiling here. Say maybe 17% even, UKIP ~ 17% too

The biggest Con/Lab swing so far of the three elections was 2.2% to Con in Sleaford. That was more leavy, and Labour turnout would be extremely unmotivated there.

A swing to Con - a very good result for the Lib Dems, a poor result for UKIP (Just 3rd, not heading backwards in terms of vote %), Labour winning but down to a historically low vote %.

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    UKIP 17.5%
    Lib Dem 16.5%
    Green 3%
    Others 2%

I still think the result is subject to the current political debate at the time of the campaign and election.

We are not static, unless 2017 is going to be the antithesis of 2016, so expect the unexpected. The magnification of a single issue (or two) will have an effect, the debate will move on quickly. I don't anticipate having many 'typical' elections in 2017 which can be predicted by past electoral behaviour.
  • Options
    Mr Maarsh,

"CD13 - no, his specific conclusion is that Remain voters will turn out more than Leave voters,"

I'd say that it wasn't a conclusion. "The signs are" may be a little presumptuous, but it may be correct.

Tim's big idea is to connect with the hard-core Remainers. It may work, but it's not a prequel to "Go back and prepare for government." It's a stabilising position, and possibly a way to need more than two taxis.

I suspect Ms Plato et al are correct. It hinges on the Labour candidate. Go on, Jezza, go for broke and make it really interesting.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Pulpstar said:

Lab 31%
    Con 30%
    UKIP 17.5%
    Lib Dem 16.5%
    Green 3%
    Others 2%

Good analysis. If, as you say, it's really too close to call between Lab and Con, then the value is with Labour as they're longer priced.

I guess we'll all get a better idea once we see the candidates in the new year, if Labour find a sensible candidate (shop steward from Sellafield?) then it's going to be a great fight.

My prediction is that Con take the seat by the narrowest of margins, on a reduced vote share and lower turnout.

PS. Didn't get on the 5/4 in the end last night, so opening the book with Lab at 6/4 this morning.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sean_F said:

The whole rehabilitation vs retribution argument in the US is unusual in that it's shifted from, broadly, rehab to retribution. If you look at Eastern Pen. in Philadelphia or the NY System exemplified by Sing Sing then the aim was positive change. Whether it worked is open to question and it was certainly (although not always intentionally) brutal but the underlying principle was rehab. Now it's punish and gang warfare with prisoners eventually released with no support. That may create electoral success but query whether it's the better societal approach.
  • Options
    BudG said:

Given that this by-election probably won't take place for another 4-5 months, the value bet at the moment surely has to be Labour at current prices.

There has been less wall to wall negativity in the media over the past couple of months or so since JC has been re-elected, as a at least some kind of temporary truce appears to have been called by the PLP. This may start being reflected in the polls, the one last week which showed Labour recovering to GE 2015 was quickly called an outlier by many on here and it might well have been, but it is is also just possible that it could be the first signs of a reaction to the scaling down of hostilities against Corbyn recently by the PLP and also in the media.

Article 50 should have been instigated by then and we will probably be in the early stages of our negotiations with the EU and as in all negotiations, neither side is likely to be giving much ground in the early stages, so there is likely to be a lot of frustration that perhaps the government are not making much positive progress towards a less bumpy Brexit.

The election is likely to come a few weeks after the March budget and it is unlikely to provide too much cheer. Inflation is also likely to be creeping up a little.

All in all, this far out, I would say it is a toss-up which, depending upon events and the candidates chosen, could go either way. For that reason, at this stage, the value has to be with Labour in the betting markets.

How can Labour put off the writ until May?
  • Options
    @Jason

Yes, I am now of the view that nothing at all will dislodge Corbyn. He could lose three seats at by-elections and would still cling on - McDonnell won't let him leave as to do so would end the far-left project at the top of the party. No far leftie will ever get the requisite nominations again.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @Platosaid

I think he is to cease his term as MP at the end of January.

+ 3 months = end of April, so 4th May is logical

And belated happy birthday for a couple of days ago.
  • Options

"As it stands it isn't impossible that Corbyn is the only factor that is keeping the Labour vote up even as high as it is"

It is impossible. Check his approval ratings: they're amongst the worst of any leader of the opposition, ever. There may well be other reasons that Labour's massively under-performing where an opposition should be at this stage if it has aspirations of government or simply of just making gains next time - indeed, there are other reasons, including those you note - but Corbyn is chief among them, not least because his leadership is so tied up with policy and with an unruly PLP.
    Shhhh! The problem Labour have is that the MPs aren't standing behind the leader, and disunited parties lose votes. If it weren't for Corbyn then their polling would be even lower. If they're going to make progress then everyone in the PLP need to stand behind Corbyn and present a united message to the British people.
    ;)
  • Options
    @Plato@Matt

The US criminal justice system does seem to be horribly vindictive. Brutalisation and rape of prisoners are part of the punishment.
  • Options
    One other aspect to this by election, given the location of the seat and because of the events in Thanet South and elsewhere the Tories won't be throwing the kitchen sink at this seat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@BudG For sure at current prices, the 7-4 Labour is the best bet there is. Hills won't let me on this now.

Agreed. IMO, Con and Lab ought to be pretty much equal-priced. On a 100% book, I'd make it something like:

Con 6/5
    Lab 6/5
    LD 20/1 (lost deposit 2015, no matter how well they're doing now)
    UKIP 100/1 (no activists, internal chaos, poor FPTP track record)
    Oth 28/1 (in case the local mayor fancies a run).
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

BudG said:

They might just about get away with it, if the outgoing MP doesn't take the Chiltern Hundreds until the end of Jan then the writ could be moved at the end of March for the by-election on Star Wars Day.

Wouldn't take much to throw a spanner in the works though, as the writ can be moved by any MP, at any time after the resignation of the incumbent. Maybe the Greens or UKIP might do so in this case, forcing the by-election for early March?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    edited December 2016
    As a concept alone, surely this has to rate as the worst article ever written: a fawning Piers Morgan on his best buddy Donald Trump:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/its-weird-when-your-friend-becomes-leader-of-the-free-world/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    A little bit of thinking aloud on candidates and the new progressive/remain alliance.

If Labour pick a pro-nuclear candidate then I can see no way in which the greens or Lib Dems could stand aside and let labour hoover up the whole 40% of the "progressive" vote (which could be enough to see them over the line).

On the other side if the Tories pick a soft-Brexit candidate then I don't see how UKIP could soft pedal.

The choice of candidates is incredibly important here, will be interesting to see the choices.
  • Options
    Does Emily Thornberry have a sister?

Would make the perfect Labour candidate - if we want to lose the seat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@Plato@Matt

The US criminal justice system does seem to be horribly vindictive. Brutalisation and rape of prisoners are part of the punishment.

I watch a lot of US true crime documentary and it seems as a system to sway from bizarrely lenient to totally OTT.

One series well worth catching is I Survived on CBS Reality. The crimes are appalling and the victim miraculously lived. The sentences run from almost a relative wrist slap to hundreds of years or death penalty.

If I'd experienced the victim's suffering, I'd be livid at the lenient ones.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    One of the issues here is what will be the quality of the candidates that will be attracted?

If the Parliament runs it full course until 2020 the incumbent will become unemployed at that time as the seat will vanish in the boundary review. A three year appointment.

Hardly the place for a young thrusting ambitious candidate. Reputationally you may stand to loose more than you gain if the election does not provide you with a good result.

It may be a seat for a few of the tired old time serving uninspiring dull boring candidates that boost turnout to a maximum of 40%
  • Options
    a nice little hold for the Conservatives in Cranleigh West. Its the first time for a while that I have seen the swing go from LDs to Cons.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Jason said:

People have to stop analysing Corbyn as if he were a normal LotO. He doesn't give a shit about by or any other type of elections. It's all about the extramural movement he's building outside parliament. By their Facebook shares shall ye know them.

Corbyn as PM would be 24 carat comedy gold so I would like it happen on that basis though I fear it won't.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

@Plato@Matt

I watch a lot of US true crime documentary and it seems as a system to sway from bizarrely lenient to totally OTT.

One series well worth catching is I Survived on CBS Reality. The crimes are appalling and the victim miraculously lived. The sentences run from almost a relative wrist slap to hundreds of years or death penalty.

They also have horrible compensation rules for wrongle imprisoned people. The recent case where they offered a guy who had been in prison for 15 years $200 was ridiculous. His initial compensation claim was refused because the state parole board just refused to hear it and there is no process of appeal other than starting court proceedings and hoping a lawyer will take up the case on a no win, no fee basis.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    "Labour Sources": There's a dozen more where Jamie Reed came from.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/21/labour-mp-jamie-reed-quits-sparking-copeland-by-election/

A by-election a month throughout 2017 would be brilliant!
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    I checked timings of trains from London to Ravenglass, as an example station in the constituency. Mostly it is a change at Lancaster/Preston and another at Barrow.
    Most journeys are over the 5 hour mark but some journeys are routed via Carlise for additional scenic interest.

Probably better to drive.

It looks difficult to attract helpers from across the country.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

@Plato@Matt

They also have horrible compensation rules for wrongle imprisoned people. The recent case where they offered a guy who had been in prison for 15 years $200 was ridiculous. His initial compensation claim was refused because the state parole board just refused to hear it and there is no process of appeal other than starting court proceedings and hoping a lawyer will take up the case on a no win, no fee basis.
    And it's very coercive too. We'll let you out only if you don't claim or take a plea deal of ten years or risk life in Super Max.

It's not my idea of justice
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

"Labour Sources": There's a dozen more where Jamie Reed came from.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/21/labour-mp-jamie-reed-quits-sparking-copeland-by-election/

A by-election a month throughout 2017 would be brilliant!

I think a slipping away of the moderates could be a risk for labour. Of course thats exactly what corbyn wants .
  • Options
    Just taken a £100's worth of Betfair's 2.66 on Labour. I can't see why Labour aren't favourites here.

Having said that, my recent record on by-elections has been dire!
  • Options
    I have just discovered that betting on "weather events" (e.g. a white Christmas) is illegal in the US.

Perhaps they think the local pastor might be able to influence the result.
  • Options
    23% of Democrats polled would be 'excited' by another Clinton run in 2020.

Blimey. Have they learnt nothing this season?
  • Options
    NolteNc
    Donald Trump's favorability is now in positive territory : 52-48.

Weird how that's not making any news.

https://t.co/pscuxv8Aif
  • Options

I have just discovered that betting on "weather events" (e.g. a white Christmas) is illegal in the US.

Perhaps they think the local pastor might be able to influence the result.

Never knew that, but then again they don't allow bets on their own elections either!
  • Options
    @Sandpit Betting in the USA is illegal, but buying "shares" in events at prices between 0 and 100% isn't. Neither is playing fantasy NFL for errm 'cash prizes'...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

@Plato@Matt

The bare statistics are more significant. The US has the highest incarceration rate in the world; they imprison around four times as many pro rata as we do.
    Over 3,200 are serving life without parole for nonviolent offenses - of whom 80 percent are in for drug-related convictions....
    Sean's mate from last night ought to take a few Republican congressmen out for dinner.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    PlatoSaid said:

NolteNc
    Donald Trump's favorability is now in positive territory : 52-48.

Weird how that's not making any news.

https://t.co/pscuxv8Aif

You can clearly persuade 52% of anything until they have to experience the consequences.
    :-)

• Options
    @Pulpstar

The US fantasy football betting scheme is on the verge of collapse.

And we know that the odds see all wrong on the share-style ones = if it looks to good to be true...
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    But no swing at Cranleigh West yesterday and that with Labour nor standing and UKIP intervening.
  • Options

Perhaps by 'another Clinton', they mean 'one of the clan who isn't Hillary'?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

@Sandpit Betting in the USA is illegal, but buying "shares" in events at prices between 0 and 100% isn't. Neither is playing fantasy NFL for errm 'cash prizes'...

Yes, the "Fantasy Sports" industry in the US is massive, is basically gambling by another name and totally dominated by professionals with spreadsheets - which the regular casual punters are slowly working out.

The "Shares in events" markets I've never really understood, but I'm in a place where all the bookies' websites are blocked yet BF Exchange is somehow different enough to be okay.
  • Options

Chelsea 2020?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Chelsea 2020?
    Roger Clinton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Clinton_Jr.
This discussion has been closed.