Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Not long to go until those end of year political bets are reso

2»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

I hold media/Obama/Hillary's pandering to BLM responsible for the latter

http://nypost.com/2016/12/30/number-of-cops-killed-in-line-of-duty-this-year-spikes-drastically/

"Ambushes in Dallas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and other shootings around the country led to a sharp increase in the number of police killed in the line of duty this year.

From Jan. 1 through Wednesday, 135 officers lost their lives. Some died in traffic accidents, but nearly half were shot to death. That’s a 56 percent increase in shooting deaths over the previous year.

Of the 64 who were fatally shot, 21 were killed in ambush attacks often fueled by anger over police use of force involving minorities...

How many unarmed blacks were killed, you right-wing zealot ?
    Oh, sorry, you were referring to people killed by police I think.

That figure looks to be down on 2015:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
    Are you saying that the killings of unarmed blacks [ or, any people ] by the police is OK ?
    Are you saying that armed black people ambushing uniformed officers is ok?
    No, but denying the underlying worsening of race relations due to racist police actions does not help.

BLM doesn't mean other lives do not, and of course the main taker of Black Lives via murder is other Blacks. America is a very sick society.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Just supposing it was true for a moment that Russia had interfered in the US elections by hacking one of the political parties and releasing e-mails and other documents that caused them embarrassment. If that were the case would Obama's response not be the most pathetic response in modern times? Expel 35 diplomats. I mean, really, such an act would be amount to a declaration of war and his response is to expel 35 diplomats and shut down 2 "intelligence centres" (excuse me??)?

Putin is right to find this response so derisory as to not to require a response. Obama has finished as he has ruled, fine words and no action worth a damn. Within months of Trump Obamacare will have been reformed (not necessarily for the better of course) and it will be like the last 8 years never even happened. I cannot think of a President in recent times who has achieved so little. It's sad. He's a clever and articulate man but my lord, has he underperformed in office.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

http://nypost.com/2016/12/30/number-of-cops-killed-in-line-of-duty-this-year-spikes-drastically/

"Ambushes in Dallas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and other shootings around the country led to a sharp increase in the number of police killed in the line of duty this year.

From Jan. 1 through Wednesday, 135 officers lost their lives. Some died in traffic accidents, but nearly half were shot to death. That’s a 56 percent increase in shooting deaths over the previous year.

Of the 64 who were fatally shot, 21 were killed in ambush attacks often fueled by anger over police use of force involving minorities...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
    Are you saying that the killings of unarmed blacks [ or, any people ] by the police is OK ?
    No, but denying the underlying worsening of race relations due to racist police actions does not help.

BLM doesn't mean other lives do not, and of course the main taker of Black Lives via murder is other Blacks. America is a very sick society.
    I wasn't denying it. It's curious, from all the news reports I thought that it had become a bigger problem recently when in fact the number killed has gone down by a third.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited December 2016
    Speedy.

Ironically, the UK leaving the EU makes Germany even stronger, I read some statistics somewhere and it identified the German economy accounting for 17% of the EU's GDP at the moment. Once the UK leaves the EU, the German economy will account for 25% of the EU economy. However demographics are predicted to clip the German population down whilst the UK experience significant growth in population but this will not be until most people who comment on PB are long dead.

So, Brexit again proves to be counter to UK interests in that it makes Germany more dominate over our nearest continent.
  • Options

Speedy.

Ironically, the UK leaving the EU makes Germany even stronger, I read some statistics somewhere and it identified the German economy accounting for 17% of the EU's GDP at the moment. Once the UK leaves the EU, the German economy will account for 25% of the EU economy. However demographics are predicted to clip the German population down whilst the UK experience significant growth in population but this will not be until most people who comment on PB are long dead.

So, Brexit again proves to be counter to UK interests in that it makes Germany more dominate over our nearest continent.

"More dominate"? Really?

What will hopefully happen is that the rest of the EU (75%) will have to recognise that there are alternatives to German domination either inside the Euro or out of it and start to act as a bloc to offset Germany's control of the ECB with more expansive policies that so many of them require. The UK's departure will shake up the EU in interesting ways, hopefully for the better for them and for us.
  • Options

Speedy said:

In anticipation of Trump's alliance with Russia, in a trip down history Thatcher was planning an alliance with the Soviets against Germany:
    https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/814850338742304768

Thatcher was right, Germany is dominating Europe now and we desperately need allies against them.

If Germany was a threat*, then perhaps vacating the field to them in June was not wise.

*Germany is not. This is not 1939 or 1914, Germany is a free-market democracy with the rule of law and a dynamic capitalist economy. We should copy them rather than be afraid of them.
    We didn't vacate the field in June, as far as the EU leadership is concerned we were never committed to that field and vacated it when we didn't join the Euro. Why you still don't understand that is beyond me, even if we remained a non-Euro member could never lead the union.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Taking the figures from the Officer Down Memorial Page
    https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2016
    yes, 62 is a large increase from 39 last year but not from 59 in 2010 or 68 in 2011, so maybe this is just natural variation. If not, then Obama must have done a fine job getting the numbers down in the intervening years.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    DavidL,

That is just delusional on your part. It is like saying that Scotland, NI and Wales will try and control the UK. It just is not going to work and in the EU it is Germany and France who will control things with other allies such as Austria, Benelux and Denmark. The UK is on the path to diminished power in Europe and Germany is once again in the ascendant. This is what Brexit fundamentally means and it is something we have to get used to along with higher prices in the shops. I for one did my weekly shop today and noticed that some significant price increases had occurred.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458

DavidL,

That is just delusional on your part. It is like saying that Scotland, NI and Wales will try and control the UK. It just is not going to work and in the EU it is Germany and France who will control things with other allies such as Austria, Benelux and Denmark. The UK is on the path to diminished power in Europe and Germany is once again in the ascendant. This is what Brexit fundamentally means and it is something we have to get used to along with higher prices in the shops. I for one did my weekly shop today and noticed that some significant price increases had occurred.

Shop somewhere else then. It's a free market.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2016
    London 2016

Like Sadiq says, terrorism is part and parcel of living in a big city

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/814927794648051716
  • Options
    Rubbish. England is approximately 85% of the UK which is why it dominates. Germany is at most 25% of the EU which is why it will not.

And inflation is still under its target of 2%.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

DavidL,

What products were the increases for? Genuinely interested,
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    DavidL said:

Speedy.

"More dominate"? Really?

What will hopefully happen is that the rest of the EU (75%) will have to recognise that there are alternatives to German domination either inside the Euro or out of it and start to act as a bloc to offset Germany's control of the ECB with more expansive policies that so many of them require. The UK's departure will shake up the EU in interesting ways, hopefully for the better for them and for us.
    I did an article in (oh god thinks for a minute) 2013(?) about the most significant trading partners of each of the then-EU28. Germany has land or water borders with approx thirteen countries, and is the most significant trading partner of (from memory) eleven of them. It has achieved local hegemony and it is difficult to see UK withdrawal from the European theatre as decreasing German domination.
  • Options

DavidL,

Unfortunately, all parts of the British free market are affected. And given the fall of GBP and progressively more difficult access to non-UK markets, shopping in other markets is less available.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Speedy.

"More dominate"? Really?

I did an article in (oh god thinks for a minute) 2013(?) about the most significant trading partners of each of the then-EU28. Germany has land or water borders with approx thirteen countries, and is the most significant trading partner of (from memory) eleven of them. It has achieved local hegemony and it is difficult to see UK withdrawal from the European theatre as decreasing German domination.
    Germany has literally moved to the centre of the EU as a result of eastern expansion.

Still, Finland, Greece and Italy are all showing 40-46% Leave in the latest ORB euromonitor. ORB said we were 46% five days before we voted out.
  • Options

We didn't vacate the field in June, as far as the EU leadership is concerned we were never committed to that field and vacated it when we didn't join the Euro. Why you still don't understand that is beyond me, even if we remained a non-Euro member could never lead the union.

There is a difference between carping from the sidelines and leaving the stadium
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Speedy.

"More dominate"? Really?

Nature abhors a vacuum. Whilst the UK was a part of the game the others could delude themselves that there was a balance of interests. Now they have to face reality. We have seen signs of a Latin bloc developing already to offset the Germanic bloc. The Germanic bloc has generally been supported by the UK rather than opposed. We have persuaded ourselves it was in our interests and more "market orientated". Things will change. Let's watch how. From a safe distance.
  • Options
    It's Sir Andrew Murray, Sir Mo Farrah, and Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill
  • Options

However demographics are predicted to clip the German population down whilst the UK experience significant growth in population

Those projections were computed before Merkel's admittance of mass migrants and before the UK Brexit vote. I think it's safe to say we can pop them in the bin now.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited December 2016
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Speedy.

"More dominate"? Really?

Nature abhors a vacuum. Whilst the UK was a part of the game the others could delude themselves that there was a balance of interests. Now they have to face reality. We have seen signs of a Latin bloc developing already to offset the Germanic bloc. The Germanic bloc has generally been supported by the UK rather than opposed. We have persuaded ourselves it was in our interests and more "market orientated". Things will change. Let's watch how. From a safe distance.
    Quite dramatic, David. It's a trading bloc with competing self-interests. In several areas there have been moves towards further union. You are describing it as though the EU is a game of Risk.

We are or soon will be outside it. All well and good. No need to make such a dramatic song and dance about it; makes you sound like one of those who wishes failure upon it.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson to receive an OGH
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    viewcode said:

There is a difference between carping from the sidelines and leaving the stadium
    The EU isn't the stadium. It's a six-a-side pitch at the council sports centre where flabby has-beens with receding hair go to play.

A mere 12% of the global economy after we leave (it was 30% in 1980) and is projected to have just a single nation that will be in the world's eight largest economies in 2030.

It's a shrinking market for us in terms of share and nominal sales.

It's old. It's dated. It's last century. A Betamax solution in a Netflix world.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Blue_rog said:

RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

If a link between trump and the Russians hacking the Democratic election campaign can be proved, would that be treason and grounds for impeachment ?

Presidents are impeached by Congress, so that looks unlikely in the near term.
    Really? Are you suggesting that as the Republicans have a majority in Congress that they would traduce the American people and refuse to impeach if there are clear grounds?
    There wont be clear grounds.
    The same was said of Nixon and I suspect he was considerably more cunning than Trump.
  • Options

JohnO's Dukedom lost in the post?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

PlatoSaid said:

yes, 62 is a large increase from 39 last year but not from 59 in 2010 or 68 in 2011, so maybe this is just natural variation. If not, then Obama must have done a fine job getting the numbers down in the intervening years.
    Statistics versus Plato's moral certainty...

Tough call.

• Options
    EU member states = 27 (or 28 inc. UK)
    Non-EU member states = 166* (or 165* excl. UK)

(* UN member States)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yup, and my GCMG.

I really want a GCMG, I begged Dave when he was compiling his resignations honours.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

Statistics versus Plato's moral certainty...

Tough call.

Never mind the truth when there are #Platofacts
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's a fair point, but I don't see the one outweighing the other. As for the other countries "delud[ing] themselves that there was a balance of interests" I'm not sure that's the case. There's a bit in John Major's autobiography about how the smaller nations would wait to see what Germany would say in council, then enthusiastically agree. There are scenarios under which the Eurozone or EU will collapse, but they all involve the larger countries: due to German size and the desire to protect themselves from the Russians, I don't think the peripheral countries will act as a counterweight.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Speedy.

"More dominate"? Really?

Quite dramatic, David. It's a trading bloc with competing self-interests. In several areas there have been moves towards further union. You are describing it as though the EU is a game of Risk.

We are or soon will be outside it. All well and good. No need to make such a dramatic song and dance about it; makes you sound like one of those who wishes failure upon it.
    Quite the contrary, Mr Topping, I wish them well. We need a growing EU as a successful trading partner. Most of the Eurozone has been in recession for a lot of the last 10 years. They have been so because of German orientated monetary policies. This really cannot continue.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Speedy.

"More dominate"? Really?

What will hopefully happen is that the rest of the EU (75%) will have to recognise thatmany of them require. The UK's departure will shake up the EU in interesting ways, hopefully for the better for them and for us.

Quite the contrary, Mr Topping, I wish them well. We need a growing EU as a successful trading partner. Most of the Eurozone has been in recession for a lot of the last 10 years. They have been so because of German orientated monetary policies. This really cannot continue.
    Delighted to hear. Huzzah for the EU.

Just out of interest, "we need a growing EU as a successful trading partner ".

How would you describe it to date?
  • Options

Not Andy Murray, please -- no-one should be knighted while they are still playing.
  • Options
    To Is am
    I can only feel that the leavers feel threatened by Farron. Not sure why, he's only the leader of a third party after all. Maybe Farron is touching a few raw nerves in the leave camp. I'm watching a George Gently re-run at the moment on Drama. Lots of racism depicted from the late 60s, Enoch et al. It did remind me a little of the referendum campaign. I am getting annoyed with the Leavers who keep saying they aren't racist. Maybe they aren't but there probably are enough to sway the vote who were racist. 2 words....fellow travellers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    viewcode said:

DavidL,

Unfortunately, all parts of the British free market are affected. And given the fall of GBP and progressively more difficult access to non-UK markets, shopping in other markets is less available.
    Assumptions...

It's quite possible that in a few years' time, agricultural imports will be cheaper; the one-off hit to sterling is permanent (as much as currency movements can be); tariffs could be both up and down in a few years, depending on the source of goods.
    GDP, in five years' time... who the heck knows.

If you're SeanT, it doesn't matter; if you're a pensioner, probably bad news; if you're young, could go either way.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    RobD said:

That's it. Better check at the Walton Post Office tomorrow. I hope No 10 sent it by recorded mail.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    edited December 2016

Not Andy Murray, please -- no-one should be knighted while they are still playing.
    All three are confirmed.

It really is Sir Andy Murray, Sir Mo Farah, and Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill.

For me, all three deserve their honours.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

It has been a serious drag on our growth since 2007. Prior to that it was pretty helpful. German policies of running a large surplus and a public sector surplus have aggravated the problems others in the EU have faced.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

I wasn't denying it. It's curious, from all the news reports I thought that it had become a bigger problem recently when in fact the number killed has gone down by a third.
    It's almost like a high profile, concerted campaign of awareness raising has had an effect
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

It has been a serious drag on our growth since 2007. Prior to that it was pretty helpful. German policies of running a large surplus and a public sector surplus have aggravated the problems others in the EU have faced.
    No more BMWs for us then in the brave new world ahead. That'll learn 'em.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Just supposing it was true for a moment that Russia had interfered in the US elections by hacking one of the political parties and releasing e-mails and other documents that caused them embarrassment. If that were the case would Obama's response not be the most pathetic response in modern times? Expel 35 diplomats. I mean, really, such an act would be amount to a declaration of war and his response is to expel 35 diplomats and shut down 2 "intelligence centres" (excuse me??)?

Putin is right to find this response so derisory as to not to require a response. Obama has finished as he has ruled, fine words and no action worth a damn. Within months of Trump Obamacare will have been reformed (not necessarily for the better of course) and it will be like the last 8 years never even happened. I cannot think of a President in recent times who has achieved so little. It's sad. He's a clever and articulate man but my lord, has he underperformed in office.

He's had almost zero time with both houses under democratic control. Due to the delay in Al Fraken being seated (6 moths) and I'll health of other Dem Senators there was only a filibuster proof senate majority for 70 odd days in the first two years. And after that the Reps simply filibustered everything in the Senate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

The impact of a hard Brexit on Britain and the rest of Europe could mean it becomes “mission impossible” for Theresa May, the head of the German motor industry association has warned.

In comments that will frustrate Downing Street, Matthias Wissmann suggested that the effects of the UK leaving the European Union’s single market were so great that Britain should be made to stay inside it. That would probably mean that Britain would have to continue paying into the EU’s budget and accept freedom of movement rules that have been ruled out by Mrs May.

Mr Wissmann, president of the VDA, said that the UK’s exit from the single market and customs union would have “massive negative effects” for Britain and the remaining EU countries. He said that there was “deep reciprocal dependency” between the car industries in Germany and the UK, with German cars accounting for half of all new cars registered in Britain, which imports 86% of its vehicles.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britain-could-be-forced-to-stay-in-single-market-ghd5n7656
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Looking back at the Presidential election night broadcasts, it seems as if the American media was refusing to accept the evidence in front of them - States that slipped into Republican hands (Florida, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Wisconsin, Georgia) were just not called for long periods after it became apparant which way the wind was blowing.

All good for betters of course - but someone should have a look at it.
  • Options

twitter.com/Mark_J_Perry/status/814540714205921280

I wonder what caused the bump in the 70s?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Don't be ridiculous. We will remain one of their larger customers.
  • Options
    On topic

I think I have £2 on Enda Kenny still be Irish PM tomorrow night :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

twitter.com/Mark_J_Perry/status/814540714205921280

I wonder what caused the bump in the 70s?
    Violent political militancy and IIRC there was some blowback from the revelations of Serpico
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

So what will change about their trade surplus when we leave? That was your point. Or do you think that without the UK's support Germany will falter?

But that doesn't play into the narrative of the UK being bullied by the nasty old EU.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We are a smaller market for BMW than China. Or the USA. Or the rest of the EU. Or Germany.

Apart from that...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Impeachment is for misconduct *in office*; Trump hasn't been in office yet. That rules out impeachment for now. Separately, there is an offence of treason, but it only applies to waging war against the US or aiding their enemies in war. For now he is in the clear.

Not true.

You can be impeached for crimes committed before taking federal/executive office.

cf Spiro Agnew who asked the House to begin impeachment investigations into him for allegations relating to his time as Governor of Maryland.

There's other examples, for example Federal Judges impeached for crimes before they joined the federal bench.

The term high crimes and misdemeanours is purposely vague, of course it relies on the House and Senate not to use it as a political weapon but exclusively for high crimes and misdemeanours.
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/06/could-trump-or-clinton-face-impeachment-as-president/

for both views. Prof Schickler agrees with me it has to be while in office, Prof Gerhardt disagrees but suggests that if you commit your misdemeanors and then get elected by voters who are on notice of them, that wipes the slate clean.
  • Options
    In the end, Obama was quite an unexceptional President.

High hopes of course unmet. But four or eight years of more would hardly be a catastrophe, in current circumstances...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

The impact of a hard Brexit on Britain and the rest of Europe could mean it becomes “mission impossible” for Theresa May, the head of the German motor industry association has warned.

In comments that will frustrate Downing Street, Matthias Wissmann suggested that the effects of the UK leaving the European Union’s single market were so great that Britain should be made to stay inside it. That would probably mean that Britain would have to continue paying into the EU’s budget and accept freedom of movement rules that have been ruled out by Mrs May.

Mr Wissmann, president of the VDA, said that the UK’s exit from the single market and customs union would have “massive negative effects” for Britain and the remaining EU countries. He said that there was “deep reciprocal dependency” between the car industries in Germany and the UK, with German cars accounting for half of all new cars registered in Britain, which imports 86% of its vehicles.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britain-could-be-forced-to-stay-in-single-market-ghd5n7656
    Small print:

"with German cars accounting for half of all new cars registered in Britain, which imports 86% of its vehicles"

That is why he is so desperate to avoid British tariffs on German cars.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

Small print:

"with German cars accounting for half of all new cars registered in Britain, which imports 86% of its vehicles"

86% imported vehicles suggests a low price elasticity of demand.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

And the leavers are cheering higher prices for 2 out of every 5 cars sold in the UK?

I didn't see that on your bus...
  • Options
    The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away: Alan Williams, who was the Fab Four's first manager, has died aged 86

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4077232/The-Man-Gave-Beatles-Away-Alan-Williams-Fab-Four-s-manager-died-aged-86.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

We are a smaller market for BMW than China. Or the USA. Or the rest of the EU. Or Germany.

Apart from that...
    So third largest then. Not bad really for such a pathetic lost little country is it?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2016
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

He's had almost zero time with both houses under democratic control. Due to the delay in Al Fraken being seated (6 moths) and I'll health of other Dem Senators there was only a filibuster proof senate majority for 70 odd days in the first two years. And after that the Reps simply filibustered everything in the Senate.
    It is also true that Obama has spent more hours playing golf than any other president including Eisenhower.
    Not only that, I also read that his family holidays and travel have cost over $80million over the cause of eight years.

In all a worse president than even Carter, as was foretold by some of us on PB.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Apart from that...
    So third largest then. Not bad really for such a pathetic lost little country is it?
    So no change on their surplus?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Counting not a strong suit amongst the Leave crowd then...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Two words.....Monty Hall...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2016

Speedy said:

In anticipation of Trump's alliance with Russia, in a trip down history Thatcher was planning an alliance with the Soviets against Germany:
    https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/814850338742304768

Thatcher was right, Germany is dominating Europe now and we desperately need allies against them.

If Germany was a threat*, then perhaps vacating the field to them in June was not wise.

*Germany is not. This is not 1939 or 1914, Germany is a free-market democracy with the rule of law and a dynamic capitalist economy. We should copy them rather than be afraid of them.
    Britain's natural rival is whoever dominates the continent.
    The UK has never looked if that country was a democracy, a monarchy or a dictatorship.

In 1914 Germany was a quazi-democracy ruled by the nephew of the King, and we still went to war with them.

In this case Britain's and Germany's economic and political interests collide, it doesn't matter if they are a democracy or not if you have opposing interests, the national interest comes first.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    SeanT said:

This is brilliant, and cheering, and startling

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/2016-is-the-fuetch?bftw&utm_term=.faVmGNKyO8#.xj11XZlweB

Technology is transforming everything, and usually very much for the better.

Some of the old fashioned Mother/Father Nature stuff is rather good too. For instance one can walk, say, ten miles on a couple of thousand calories from last year's sunshine.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

lol. How are are they gonna MAKE us stay inside it?

They really don't understand the psychology of Britons.
    Cameron left politics because he knew that he had set his country up for the humiliation to end all humiliations by allowing it to vote for something that cannot be delivered.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    3 months more than for putting a bacon sarnie outside a mosque though
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Third: https://www.statista.com/statistics/267252/key-automobile-markets-of-bmw-group/

How's your arithmetic?
  • Options

I can count to 3. Apparently others are struggling...

I understand there are some primitive tribes where the numbering scheme consists entirely of 1, 2, many.

I didn't realise they were posting here.
  • Options
    @Speedy

Cousin of the King! (and so was our ally Russia)
  • Options
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-germany-economy-uncertainties-idUKKBN14G14O?il=0

Eric Schweitzer, the leader of the DIHK (German Chambers of Commerce), saw considerable risks for Germany related to Brexit as well as Trump's election.

"I fear there is something deceptive about the relatively good economic situation right now," he said. "The Brexit vote could still hit the EU economy and especially the German economy. Donald Trump's critical comments on free trade in his campaign are causing a lot of uncertainty at German companies."
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

To Is am
    I can only feel that the leavers feel threatened by Farron. Not sure why, he's only the leader of a third party after all. Maybe Farron is touching a few raw nerves in the leave camp. I'm watching a George Gently re-run at the moment on Drama. Lots of racism depicted from the late 60s, Enoch et al. It did remind me a little of the referendum campaign. I am getting annoyed with the Leavers who keep saying they aren't racist. Maybe they aren't but there probably are enough to sway the vote who were racist. 2 words....fellow travellers.

Welcome, but what a silly post. I am not a Leaver, but if Leavers are being unjustifiably accused of crimes of which they are not guilty they are entitled to protest their innocence as loud and long as they like, even at the risk of Mr Pseudonymous on the interweb "getting annoyed" about it.

33% of Asians, 25% of blacks and 30% of muslims voted to leave (Ashcroft poll 24/6). I bet you didn't know that. Were they mainly racists, do you think?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I can count to 3. Apparently others are struggling...

I understand there are some primitive tribes where the numbering scheme consists entirely of 1, 2, many.

I didn't realise they were posting here.
    Not sure you have a leg to stand on, mr no clue about simple probability....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

How's your arithmetic?

How may markets appear above the UK in that chart?

Here's a clue. It's more than 2...

And the EU (which does not appear as an aggregated figure on that chart would also appear above it.

So, tell us again how 10% is the 3rd largest customer?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

In the end I would vote for a Fascist party, rather than allow this hateful shit to continue

Indeed I've thought this might be a good quiz for pb-ers

If you had a hypothetical choice, between voting for a hard right, Fascist or Front National type party, or your country becoming majority Muslim, which would you choose?

Those are the alternatives, pb-ers:

Muslim or Le Pen.

Farage or Shariah

Unquestionably, I would vote Farage. I would almost certainly vote Le Pen or Wilders. Indeed I would probably vote for Mussolini, in preference to Britain becoming majority Muslim.

What do other pb-ers think?
    I think this is a completely false choice. We are better than that. Despite appalling decisions like this.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

In the end I would vote for a Fascist party, rather than allow this hateful shit to continue

If you had a hypothetical choice, between voting for a hard right, Fascist or Front National type party, or your country becoming majority Muslim, which would you choose?

Muslim or Le Pen.

Farage or Shariah

Unquestionably, I would vote Farage. I would almost certainly vote Le Pen or Wilders. Indeed I would probably vote for Mussolini, in preference to Britain becoming majority Muslim.

I have to do a double check when I read it...I presumed it was 15 YEARS....but apparently not.
  • Options

This is not a question of probability. It's a question of arithmetic.

How many make 3?

Apparently beyond some.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How many make 3?

Apparently beyond some.
    Simple probability was beyond you, so I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on when poking fun at people when it comes to maths.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

lol. How are are they gonna MAKE us stay inside it?

They really don't understand the psychology of Britons.
    Cameron left politics because he knew that he had set his country up for the humiliation to end all humiliations by allowing it to vote for something that cannot be delivered.
    He backed a loser and the electorate gave him the middle finger. His position was untenable.

There is nothing more to it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

How's your arithmetic?

How may markets appear above the UK in that chart?

Here's a clue. It's more than 2...

And the EU (which does not appear as an aggregated figure on that chart would also appear above it.

So, tell us again how 10% is the 3rd largest customer?
    One of the three is Germany itself. It is not an export market. And more than 10% of all BMWs sold in the UK. You think that they are going to want tariffs on those if they can possibly stop it?
  • Options

Simple probability was beyond you, so I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on when poking fun at people when it comes to maths.

I am not poking fun at people when it comes to maths. I am talking about arithmetic.

Can you count to 3?

Maybe English is the problem?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

How many make 3?

Apparently beyond some.
    On inspection three countries appear above the U.K. on the chart linked to by David.

How post-truth is this going to get?!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,425
    Scott_P said:

Speedy said:

And the leavers are cheering higher prices for 2 out of every 5 cars sold in the UK?

I didn't see that on your bus...
    Given the failure of the German car companies to embrace the coming electric car revolution, things will really change in the next few years.... And no, a couple of models aren't proof that they are.

The problem (as the German government see it) that the car companies are refusing to invest in the production plants - north of 50% of the value of an electric car is in the battery/drive train. The car companies are hoping that it will all go away - and if it doesn't they will buy from China. It's going to be the Kodak story all over again.

Especially since there isn't enough capacity on the planet to supply them. Guess who will own the majority of Li battery production in the world in a couple of years?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of the three is Germany itself. It is not an export market.

True, but you didn't say export
    DavidL said:

One of their larger customers. Not the largest, or the 2nd largest, or in fact the 3rd largest
    DavidL said:

And more than 10% of all BMWs sold in the UK. You think that they are going to want tariffs on those if they can possibly stop it?

No, I don't think they want tariffs, but as ever that is not the real problem. The integrated International supply chain for car parts within the customs union would be crippled if we left. That's what they are worried about.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Muslim or Le Pen.

Farage or Shariah

I think this is a completely false choice. We are better than that. Despite appalling decisions like this.
    Oh FFS. It's an hypothesis.

It's a choice, unlikely to be realised but not impossible. Yes it is stark and horrible. But it is a choice. And we are pb, and we are adults. So you CHOOSE.

Anyone who doesn't have the balls to choose is a ballet loving gimp.

CHOOSE
    Even the women's legs and obvious flexibility doesn't attract me to ballet. Our challenge is to keep what we value and fight for it. The rule of law, liberal tolerance, freedom of expression, equality and respect for difference. We have taken these principles for granted and we don't do enough to enforce them through our society tolerating the abuse and debasement of women and other minorities. We need to do better, not waste time on false choices.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

How many make 3?

Apparently beyond some.
    On inspection three countries appear above the U.K. on the chart linked to by David.

One of them is Germany. We are the BMW's third largest export market. This is just silly.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Delete duplicate post.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

How many make 3?

Apparently beyond some.

One of them is Germany. We are the BMW's third largest export market. This is just silly.
    Oh, export.

Going to bed now v happy to reassemble soon.

Bon Nuit.
  • Options
    Goddamn it, "The Winter Soldier" is a brilliant film...
This discussion has been closed.