Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amber Rudd resigns

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amber Rudd resigns

Amber Rudd has resigned

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    One more vote in the HoC against the government's Brexit policy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Rudd may have gone over the potential misleading of Parliament but for the average voter the fact the government has targets for deporting illegal migrants is probably a good thing in their view
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,173
    Nice tip TSE, as the actress said to the bishop.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Not before time. Either she lied, or was utterly ignorant of what was going on in her Department.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

It just gets better
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Fsake
  • Options
    sorry to see her go BUT

I did place my £50 on her going on friday pm with Shadsy... albeit not quite 33-1....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Next leader, Javid. Was 60 a few days ago, now 20 on BF.
  • Options
    May left very exposed. And on such a quiet week with no major divisive votes...
  • Options
    Roger said:

It just gets better
    Unless May puts a definite Remain vote in as Home Sec.

Greening? :lol:
  • Options

Local elections are on Thursday, if the Tories do a better than expected that will quickly shore her up
  • Options
    I wrote earlier that Rudd would survive. Obviously what I meant to say was that she would not survive, and it is fake news and social media spin that I had indicated otherwise.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    No surprise I have to say.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Next leader, Javid. Was 60 a few days ago, now 20 on BF.

Javid has a Yougov approval rating of -36%, not great but miles better than Hunt or Gove's approval rating of -63% and -67% respectively and slightly better than that for Mogg and Boris
    https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Sajid_Javid
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

That depends who replaces her.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Rudd may have gone over the potential misleading of Parliament but for the average voter the fact the government has targets for deporting illegal migrants is probably a good thing in their view

But I doubt the public are happy about deporting legal ones. Even xenophobic Brexiteers
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2018
    checking my ladbrokes account, I now find not only have I backed Tracey Crouch as next Tory leader but also Messrs Davis, Stewart and Mercer too.... the latter 2 at some serious odds.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Oh, for a touch of Trumpian steel in our jelly-spined, so-called Conservative Government!
  • Options
    Who's most likely to replace her?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

But I doubt the public are happy about deporting legal ones. Even xenophobic Brexiteers
    I doubt even 10% of the public are aware of the news about deportation targets. This is a classic Westminster Bubble story - which isn't to say I don't think Rudd should have gone. She mislead Parliament.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

The target was for illegal immigrants
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Oh, for a touch of Trumpian steel in our jelly-spined, so-called Conservative Government!

You want to put tariffs on Tories?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    HYUFD said:

Local elections are on Thursday, if the Tories do a better than expected that will quickly shore her up
    You were one of those telling us yesterday morning Rudd was safe.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    You'd have thought the one lesson TMay might have learned in politics is 'Never fire your home secretary under any circumstances, no matter how many mistakes she makes'.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Hip Hip Hooray. Now time for her disgraceful business career to be fully exposed too.
  • Options
    Was this in fact a sacking rather than resignation in all but name?
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

In public opinion terms she was, neither Tory nor Labour voters blamed her for the Windrush affair, if she has gone it is purely on the impression of misleading Parliament, her approval ratings were actually still above most of her fellow Cabinet Ministers
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

May's response to her letter should tell us that
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Who thought Amber would be out the Cabinet before Boris (I wouldn't trust him to drive me home) Johnson? :D
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Elliot said:

Sounds like you are now moving the goalposts from your original "low skilled workers would be mainly locked out" claim.

I'm talking more about the views of the general public. They are far more sceptical of immigration than you are. I would also imagine that retail workers, with their much greater exposure to the broader public, add to a feel of "there are a lot of immigrants here" more than other sectors.

I would also add that most shops in the US have American accents serving you. Even in New York you regularly hear them. Certainly in Chicago or DC. That's not true in London.

As another Leave voter, I've been fairly consistent throughout as what I want: that is I want us out of "political" Europe, but I want the closest possible relationship absent that.

I believe that any bureaucracy associated with work permits will act as a tariff. Paperwork is like that: it may not be explicit, but there is a cost with filling in forms and the like. And so as any future relationship we have with the EU will include a degree of paperwork, it will increase the costs of coming here. That will predominantly affect low skill, low wage workers. Now, we can disagree about the amount it will affect flows (I suspect it will have a surprisingly large affect.)

But if this did not have the desired affect, it's very easy to adjust it. We could start with a £50 fee to register a worker. And if that still led to excessive levels of immigration, you could change it: perhaps to £500 or £1,000.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,823

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

This government is an absolute fucking shambles.

Yes, but Labour are even worse! Corbyn finds it hard to even get a front bench together.
    It is a pretty remarkable set of options. The government has had a torrid time of it for months, barring one good month for them, but it is still relevant Corbyn's time as LOTO has been so dramatic mostly because of internal party ructions. What are people to do?

It might be my imagination, but it feels like when the options are objectively pretty bad, for either side of the political spectrum at the same time, the political debate becomes that much nastier, since it has to come down to partisan emotion, since it is harder for Tories/Labour to defend/promote their sides on the basis of their actual qualities, so it becomes a slanging match about how awful the other lot are. To a higher degree than usual.
    Agreed - very perceptive.
    Well, I think that's a pretty good sign I should call it a night, I won't manage two perceptive thoughts in one session.

Good night all.

The initial take - the resignation of a Cabinet Minister, holding one of the Great Offices of State no less, cannot be interpreted as anything but a moment of intense weakness for the government. May is even more deeply exposed than a regular PM would be, given she was the holder before Rudd. The story that prompted this was still in the news and causing trouble. And there is the constant difficulty of Brexit in the background. So this is a potentially significant moment for the government's image, direction and popularity.

However, I am unclear on how outraged people are by the intentions of the policy in question. Certainly many of the most outraged are outraged by its intention. There does seem to be a conflation between the incompetence of the political leadership and operation of the policy, and the policy itself. But if the general public are more concerned about the incompetence, then the government can mitigate the damage it takes if it is lucky and/or effective.

But it won't be easy.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

I reckon Alastair made a good case for McVey and Lidington.

I think Karen Bradley might be a contender.
  • Options
    Anna Soubry welcomes her friemd Amber to the back benches

Brexit in BINO beckons
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    AndyJS said:

TM has been replacing "like with like" - So look for a female Remainer.

Justine Greening might not be out of the question...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No, May only reluctantly accepted the resignation.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

Javid would be the right appointment for a number of reasons. But will it happen? May has made some 'unusual' choices thus far. So it might be Boris for all we can tell!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Sounds like you are now moving the goalposts from your original "low skilled workers would be mainly locked out" claim.

I'm talking more about the views of the general public. They are far more sceptical of immigration than you are. I would also imagine that retail workers, with their much greater exposure to the broader public, add to a feel of "there are a lot of immigrants here" more than other sectors.

I would also add that most shops in the US have American accents serving you. Even in New York you regularly hear them. Certainly in Chicago or DC. That's not true in London.

As another Leave voter, I've been fairly consistent throughout as what I want: that is I want us out of "political" Europe, but I want the closest possible relationship absent that.
    The 'closest possible relationship' implies that a 'political' Europe is in our interests, in which case the logic for being outside it collapses, particularly given that the UK is not an island but has a 300 mile land border with the EU27.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think it might be.

Tomorrow's session in the Commons would have been brutal for the government.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Lord Falconer has resigned.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

I believe that any bureaucracy associated with work permits will act as a tariff. Paperwork is like that: it may not be explicit, but there is a cost with filling in forms and the like. And so as any future relationship we have with the EU will include a degree of paperwork, it will increase the costs of coming here. That will predominantly affect low skill, low wage workers. Now, we can disagree about the amount it will affect flows (I suspect it will have a surprisingly large affect.)

But if this did not have the desired affect, it's very easy to adjust it. We could start with a £50 fee to register a worker. And if that still led to excessive levels of immigration, you could change it: perhaps to £500 or £1,000.
    I wonder what has the larger wage cost discrepancy between British workers and Poles/Romanians: high skill workers or low skill ones.
  • Options

Anna Soubry welcomes her friemd Amber to the back benches

Brexit in BINO beckons

No it doesn't, there is no way we are leaving free movement in place, there is a chance we stay in the Customs Unions but the Single Market is definitely out
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Diane Abbott managing what Yvette Cooper never did in 4 years as Shadow Home Sec.

Abbott is truly one of the political titans of her generation!
  • Options

Did you see it?

I've hardly mentioned it.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    AndyJS said:
    His tweet on Friday was a joke. Rightly got flack for that.

Javid should be the next Home Secretary.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Diane Abbott managing what Yvette Cooper never did in 4 years as Shadow Home Sec.

I'm feeling even more confident about my 100/1 tip on Diane Abbott being Corbyn's successor.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yes, because when a Cabinet Minister resigns it is always solely because of their opposite number. Come on, even as a joke it lacks plausibility to label Abbott so.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

Javid would be the right appointment for a number of reasons. But will it happen? May has made some 'unusual' choices thus far. So it might be Boris for all we can tell!
    How about James Cleverly. He ran the fire brigade in London - a Home Office function - and has lots of police related experience from his time on the GLA. A black veteran representing an Essex seat?

Maybe a big promotion but he actually has some knowledge of the issues that the HO deals with.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not his fault. The algorithm is simply programmed that way.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Wasn't it under cross-examination by Yvette at that select committee meeting that it all started to unravel for Amber?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Er, no, it was Yvette who exploded the bomb by asking, in committee, about the regional targets.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Did you see it?

I was in a meeting when it was posted I think >.>

Obviously I dropped a ton on her staying till Tuesday too

And a reheated 11 day old news story finally does for her ffsake
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

I think Lidington is a strong bet, too. And Bradley.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Well hopefully Monticello, Siberian Pacific Resources and Kensington Resources to name but a few will mean a bit more to the average person in time.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    David Herdson said on Saturdays thread Amber Rudd was safe for now.
  • Options
    Hammond to the Home Office, Lord Osborne to the Treasury?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Lord Falconer has resigned.

Fake news. He went yesterday.
  • Options
    Sajid Javid is now the 2/1 favourite to be Home Secretary.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    edited April 2018
    For all Verstappen fans, this clip of his being overtaken by Maldonado back in 2015 is rather funny...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcjE3F6oN8
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Or, he may be proved right. His message was: be careful what you wish for...
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    In the last few weeks he’s another one who has been ridiculous. Even in his years at the Telegraph, I may not have agreed with all of what he said but I still thought he was worth a read.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

The days of political predictions meaning anything are long, long gone.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Did you see it?

I was in a meeting when it was posted I think >.>

Obviously I dropped a ton on her staying till Tuesday too

And a reheated 11 day old news story finally does for her ffsake
    I feel your pain.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

Mourdount?
  • Options
    Surely, a reshuffle means Rory finally makes Cabinet?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

That was Saturday. That memo may not have been new (apparently) but it rose in attention and changed the dynamics. Rudd's remaining in place as a shield made sense, but things were clearly going to get so hot the shield was going to evaporate, so it was time for it to be discarded. The fire may well now hit May, so watch out for the political equivalent of diving into a lake to put out the flames (eg a big u-turn, or deliberate raising of another huge issue to distract)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Note to No 10: can we get Kwasi Kwarteng in the cabinet, please?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Yes, because when a Cabinet Minister resigns it is always solely because of their opposite number. Come on, even as a joke it lacks plausibility to label Abbott so.
    Whoever was leaking to the guardian , must be the main reason she resigned.

Hard to understand what she stated to parliament , makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Danny565 said:

I'm feeling even more confident about my 100/1 tip on Diane Abbott being Corbyn's successor.
    I'm not even (completely) joking.

She said in December 2016 that Labour would catch up with the Tories in the polls within 12 months. Commentators scoffed, but she turned out to be right, showing her great political predictive skills.

Then her car-crash interview on police cuts got a lot of negative publicity in the short run, but it also made the public aware that Labour wanted to increase police numbers - which paid dividends later on in the campaign after the terrorist attacks. Brilliant Machiavellian strategic skills from Diane there.

Now she's shown her skills at the day-to-day opposition work, by harrying the government into the most senior scandal-related resignation in years.

People can mock her all they want, but Di always has the last laugh!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    Who's going to make the HoC statement tomorrow? Will they ask Rudd's predecessor maybe?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

I wonder what has the larger wage cost discrepancy between British workers and Poles/Romanians: high skill workers or low skill ones.
    Well, don't forget that a fixed fee for an employer is a much higher % of cost for a low skilled worker than a high skilled one.

I'm the CFO of a mid sized tech company - c. 1,200 workers worldwide, with the biggest concentration being London and Estonia (both about 25% of the workforce each).

The thing I'm most worried about is secondment visas: we regularly have people from Estonian teams come to the UK for six to nine months, and vice-versa. These aren't people looking to emigrate, but to learn from working on another team. We need to make sure there is an easy process for enabling this kind of thing.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    I’m surprised that Rudd’s gone.
    I think she’s a bungler, but she seemed one of the better talents in Cabinet. I didn’t detect any antipathy toward her from the public - pity if anything. It feels like May has hung her out to dry.

Yet May must realise she is now very exposed. Apart from anything else, Rudd was a loyal counterweight to Johnson et al.

Bring back Damian Green?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Whoever was leaking to the guardian , must be the main reason she resigned.

Hard to understand what she stated to parliament , makes no sense to me.
    That this memo was apparently not new, and yet she still made statements which contradicted it...mind boggling. She's not been good at damage control.

But now good night for real.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

That was Saturday. That memo may not have been new (apparently) but it rose in attention and changed the dynamics. Rudd's remaining in place as a shield made sense, but things were clearly going to get so hot the shield was going to evaporate, so it was time for it to be discarded. The fire may well now hit May, so watch out for the political equivalent of diving into a lake to put out the flames (eg a big u-turn, or deliberate raising of another huge issue to distract)
    Might they send the police in , to find the leaker at the Home Office ?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

The sickening sound of a barrel being scraped.
  • Options

Who's going to make the HoC statement tomorrow? Will they ask Rudd's predecessor maybe?

Naughty...
  • Options

I should think Lord Osborne to the Tower is more likely while May remains PM
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Can't win them all.
  • Options

About Immigration? The immigration minister, I'd suspect. Caroline Nokes.
  • Options
    Does this prove that May, despite appearances, is a genius to have survived six years at Home.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I don't think that will cut it somehow.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not even (completely) joking.

She said in December 2016 that Labour would catch up with the Tories in the polls within 12 months. Commentators scoffed, but she turned out to be right, showing her great political predictive skills.

Then her car-crash interview on police cuts got a lot of negative publicity in the short run, but it also made the public aware that Labour wanted to increase police numbers - which paid dividends later on in the campaign after the terrorist attacks. Brilliant Machiavellian strategic skills from Diane there.

Now she's shown her skills at the day-to-day opposition work, by harrying the government into the most senior scandal-related resignation in years.

People can mock her all they want, but Di always has the last laugh!
    Yvette did the work.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Richard Nabavi said it'd be all forgotten in a few days...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I don't think that will cut it somehow.
    When there is a vacancy, it would usually be the relevant minister of state who steps in.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yorkcity said:

Richard Nabavi said it'd be all forgotten in a few days...
    And Charlie Falconer said he was going nowhere.

Ignore all these third-rate Mystic Megs, would be my advice.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Sajid Javid.

The sickening sound of a barrel being scraped.
    You can find some great stuff at the bottom of a barrel.

If you're lucky.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Except Nokes is in trouble herself at the moment.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/94759/tories-probe-minister-caroline-nokes-over
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Chortle.
  • Options

I agree . 66-1 on him
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I’m surprised that Rudd’s gone.
    I think she’s a bungler, but she seemed one of the better talents in Cabinet. I didn’t detect any antipathy toward her from the public - pity if anything. It feels like May has hung her out to dry.

Yet May must realise she is now very exposed. Apart from anything else, Rudd was a loyal counterweight to Johnson et al.

Bring back Damian Green?

I don't think May has hung her out to dry so much as stood back while she too the blame for May's policy decisions. But the hammer blow seems to have been self-inflicted by Rudd in the end.

Will Rudd's loyalty to May survive intact?
  • Options

I agree . 66-1 on him
    As?

Home?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Except Nokes is in trouble herself at the moment.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/94759/tories-probe-minister-caroline-nokes-over
    Saw this in the paper earlier. Sounds like there is little to investigate. Check with the council; job done....
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Danny565 said:

It was Cooper's questioning during the Select Committee which led to all this.

My guess at new Home Secretary would be Greg Clark. May has run out of allies so is left with promoting the safest pair of hands available. I don't think she'd want one of Osborne's allies like Javid in such a high position.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying this is going to be the 5th reshuffle since the election...

One in June 2017 immediately after the election
    One after Priti Patel quit
    One a week later after Michael Fallon quit
    Then the botched one in January when people refused to move jobs.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    As we are making off-the-wall predictions, how about David Davis to the Home Office: he was Shadow HS until he resigned, and no, I can't see it either. Javid for the reasons TSE gave and his Telegraph article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/28/sajid-javids-windrush-fury-could-have-mum-dad/

Javid also led on antisemitism and is preparing the Windrush anniversary celebrations.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Sharon or Ozzy ?
  • Options

I agree . 66-1 on him
    As?

Home?
    Nah.. Tory leader... Along with crouch. Dd or mercer.. Heck of a portfolio that.
  • Options
    You have to feel sorry for all those sent out to defend her on this mornings political shows.

Jo Johnson is the most boring politician I have seen in a long while.

When he was on Preston , they could not wait to get him off air.
This discussion has been closed.