Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Comedy Central’s answer to the Vote Leave Brexit bus

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Varadkar might block British aircraft from Irish skies....but Iran continues to allow American aircraft to overfly it....

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2018/08/15/1803456/official-flight-of-american-airplanes-over-iran-s-sky-legal
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Varadkar might block British aircraft from Irish skies....but Iran continues to allow American aircraft to overfly it....

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2018/08/15/1803456/official-flight-of-american-airplanes-over-iran-s-sky-legal

But will Trump allow Iranian planes to fly to, for example, Canada?
  • Options
    You know I keep on saying Tim Montgomerie is a complete and utter end of a bell, here's more evidence

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1029765048506437632
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1029767203065929728

Almost like he's never heard of Charlie Hebdo
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

PM Jezza will be too disorganised and obsessed with his hobbyhorses to do any real harm.

John McDonnell won't, though.
    Still has to get things past his MPs, and John is quite the apparatchik, and will do well.
    It wouldn't be hard to get the damaging stuff through. Pretty much the only things they'll all be able to agree on are wasteful spending, damaging tax increases, and dangerous increases in the deficit. Everyone will have their pet projects to be funded. A few disastrous nationalisations should also be fairly easy, at least to start with (before the effects of the markets taking fright start showing through in the real economy).
    The Will of the People must be heard!

Sounds like Brexit.

Brexit, the gateway drug to a Corbyn Premiership?

I feel a thread in the making.
    Yes, I fear so*.

The worst argument of all is that 'Brexit is damaging, so Corbyn won't be much worse'. That is bonkers, because the effects will be cumulative, not alternatives. In fact Brexit makes Corbyn much more dangerous, as we won't have the constraints of EU rules.

* The drug effect, not the thread coming on!
    But on the plus side England are 2-0 up in the Test series and looking for a whitewash. Which is much more significant really.
    A while ago here, there was a question about what this country had to be proud about.

Somewhere whch invented cricket can be very proud. A very complex game.
    But if we claim cricket do we not need to apologise for golf?
    No, because that was the Scots. Golf, Ramsay MacDonald, Gordon Brown......
    One nation OKC. And there is the balancing factor of Burns, Logie Baird, Telford, Maxwell and Fleming. We just don't do politics very well.
    Burns, Telford, Maxwell indeed. Not so sure about the legacy of Logie Baird. (LOL!) And where would Fleming’s discovery have been without Florey and Chain?

I once, when reviewing patients for their understanding of their medicines, met someone who, having a FC B.Sc from Imperial, had been taken out of military service in 1941 or so to work with Chain. Always used that as an example to students NOT to underestimate OAP’s.
    That must have been fascinating.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited August 2018

I'm confused - wasn't it and Islamic terrorists with Skorpion submachine guns that killed the Charlie Hebdo employees ?

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

You know I keep on saying Tim Montgomerie is a complete and utter end of a bell, here's more evidence

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1029765048506437632
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1029767203065929728

Poor ickle sensitive Owen. How dare anyone make fun of him?

And bullets/hatred killed the Charlie Hebdo employees. Not a cartoon.
  • Options
    Less than a week and Ashley's already fecked House of Fraser.

Thank God for Selfridges and all those shops on Spinningfields.

House of Fraser pulls plug on website after warehouse dispute

Retailer’s warehouse operator has stopped processing orders in dispute over payment.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/15/house-fraser-pulls-plug-website-customer-complaints-warehouse-dispute-payments?CMP=share_btn_tw

Mike Ashley is the pineapple on my shopping pizza.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

PM Jezza will be too disorganised and obsessed with his hobbyhorses to do any real harm.

Still has to get things past his MPs, and John is quite the apparatchik, and will do well.

Yes, I fear so*.

The worst argument of all is that 'Brexit is damaging, so Corbyn won't be much worse'. That is bonkers, because the effects will be cumulative, not alternatives. In fact Brexit makes Corbyn much more dangerous, as we won't have the constraints of EU rules.

A while ago here, there was a question about what this country had to be proud about.

Somewhere whch invented cricket can be very proud. A very complex game.
    But if we claim cricket do we not need to apologise for golf?
    No, because that was the Scots. Golf, Ramsay MacDonald, Gordon Brown......
    One nation OKC. And there is the balancing factor of Burns, Logie Baird, Telford, Maxwell and Fleming. We just don't do politics very well.
    Burns, Telford, Maxwell indeed. Not so sure about the legacy of Logie Baird. (LOL!) And where would Fleming’s discovery have been without Florey and Chain?

I once, when reviewing patients for their understanding of their medicines, met someone who, having a FC B.Sc from Imperial, had been taken out of military service in 1941 or so to work with Chain. Always used that as an example to students NOT to underestimate OAP’s.
    That must have been fascinating.
    It was. What was as interesting is that he said that at the time he was cross about it. He WANTED to go to fight the Nazi’s.
    There's Scots (ahem) evidence that many of the brightest and best of the 1921 Lothian Birth Cohort died in WWII.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Ireland would h\ave to acquire an airforce first
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

I've had a bit of think for a while in light of the investigation into Boris. I'm going to stay a member of the party and still actively campaign. I have cancelled my monthly standing order and I'm now down to just the £25 per year. This Conservative party no longer represents anything I'm in favour of.

Lewis received 100+ complaints. Do you think they should have been ignored? Doesn't working in financial services encourage the view that all complaints should be investigated?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

I've had a bit of think for a while in light of the investigation into Boris. I'm going to stay a member of the party and still actively campaign. I have cancelled my monthly standing order and I'm now down to just the £25 per year. This Conservative party no longer represents anything I'm in favour of.

Lewis received 100+ complaints. Do you think they should have been ignored? Doesn't working in financial services encourage the view that all complaints should be investigated?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It wouldn't be hard to get the damaging stuff through. Pretty much the only things they'll all be able to agree on are wasteful spending, damaging tax increases, and dangerous increases in the deficit. Everyone will have their pet projects to be funded. A few disastrous nationalisations should also be fairly easy, at least to start with (before the effects of the markets taking fright start showing through in the real economy).

Yes, it may be that we've reached one of those times when voters want snake-oil. That doesn't mean that sensible people have to join in.
    Sounds like Brexit.

People want to have cake and eat it.

Corbyn became super popular in Labour prior to the referendum. While their poll ratings struggled, at the first GE test they rebounded spectacularly, and given he was super popular in Labour pre-Brexit, perhaps his followers who always said that would happen were correct and therefore it has little to do with Brexit.
    Brexit has damaged the Tory raison d'être.

Corbyn is just following the Leave playbook.

An economic fantasy that won't survive first contact with reality and blaming the ills on others.

When it all goes wrong it'll be blamed on the establishment, despite the establishment warning this is what would happen when you peddle an economic fantasy.
    the establishment put the country in the shit in the first place hence the result

the voters chanted "youre shit and you know you are" and since then weve been looking for a different establishment
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This is what happens when a political party folds itself into a cult.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

But will Trump allow Iranian planes to fly to, for example, Canada?
    They wouldn't need to overfly the US to get to Canada - but the furthest west Iran Air gets is Heathrow....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Scott_P said:
    Wrong sort of Tories ?
    Don't they need to be in for a year to vote ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong sort of Tories ?
    Only three months, to the end of the voting period.

Anna and her friends better kick of a leadership contest ASAP!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong sort of Tories ?
    Three months.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    I'm mildly perturbed. One of our great political parties has turned into a bona fide cult, and the other appears to be contemplating following suit.

PS The water butt looks awesome.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I'm mildly perturbed. One of our great political parties has turned into a bona fide cult, and the other appears to be contemplating following suit.

PS The water butt looks awesome.

Boasting about your own butt? I hadn't realised pb was that sort of website.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    I remember when Brexit supporting Tories used to point and laugh at Labour for allowing entryists to elect a leader at odds with the majority of its parliamentary party...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Did the investigation need to be announced? Just because you are investigating something doesn't mean you need to pour oil unto the fire by announcing it...
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

I remember when Brexit supporting Tories used to point and laugh at Labour for allowing entryists to elect a leader at odds with the majority of its parliamentary party...

On the plus side, it codes almost 10 times more to be a Tory entryist, so maybe fewer will do it?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Emotional and tired England scrum half might be unavailable for internationals. https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1029778626219331584
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong sort of Tories ?
    Three months.
    Ah, so we have finally arrived at the explanation for why the Tory Rebels (Brexiteer faction) could be so condemnatory of May's efforts but did not act to remove this apparently terrible person - they want time to get in some entryists.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

The MPs are the backstop against either of these two wreckers getting into power.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Scott_P said:
    "This is serious. A leadership contest would be grossly irresponsible."

But a second referendum...? That would be just fine, eh, luv?

Democracy. Great - if you're a Remainer.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

They won't care. They too want as hardline a Leaver as possible and they're as delighted to get kipper entryists as the Corbynites were to get defectors from the ultra-hard left parties.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2018
    MaxPB said:

You think it's appropriate for an ex Foreign Secretary and possible party leader to ridicule women for how they choose to dress?

Where's your inner hippy. Wouldn't you prefer that people could live and let live?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes, it may be that we've reached one of those times when voters want snake-oil. That doesn't mean that sensible people have to join in.
    Sounds like Brexit.

Corbyn became super popular in Labour prior to the referendum. While their poll ratings struggled, at the first GE test they rebounded spectacularly, and given he was super popular in Labour pre-Brexit, perhaps his followers who always said that would happen were correct and therefore it has little to do with Brexit.

An economic fantasy that won't survive first contact with reality and blaming the ills on others.

When it all goes wrong it'll be blamed on the establishment, despite the establishment warning this is what would happen when you peddle an economic fantasy.
    the establishment put the country in the shit in the first place hence the result

the voters chanted "youre shit and you know you are" and since then weve been looking for a different establishment
    Oh dear, the naivety. Which old Etonian would you like to be running the "New Establishment"? The one that looks like a Nazi, or the one that looks like coco The Clown?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The MPs are the backstop against either of these two wreckers getting into power.
    They can hold out for a while but it looks as if there are too many extremist MPs for the Parliamentary majority to keep out the barbarians when the contest eventually comes.
  • Options

Dr. Foxy, Boris is unfit to be PM. He's vainglorious and self-regarding to a psychologically unhealthy level.

He's still better than Corbyn.

Of course, if Boris were leading the blues and the reds had someone who wasn't a self-declared friend of Hamas as leader then my vote might be going the other way.

No; it's an unpleasant choice, but I would rather have someone who sees society's problems and has a commitment to tackle them, even if some his solutions are wrong, than have someone who sees nothing beyond his own notoriety and next career move.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As were Labour MPs with Corbyn. In the case of Boris, or someone JRM aligned who they know strike a chord with a significant section of the base, will they dare stop them getting to the final two so they can be put to the members? Although I think Boris has enough numbers to get there anyway, I think AlastairMeeks was right the other day about the necessary kind of scenario where he wouldn't.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2018

Scott_P said:
    "This is serious. A leadership contest would be grossly irresponsible."

But a second referendum...? That would be just fine, eh, luv?

Democracy. Great - if you're a Remainer.
    I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if you called her "luv" in her presence.
  • Options
    What Dan van man's house looks like when actually covered roof to floor in flags (@Anazina you might feel overly oppressed by this)

https://goo.gl/images/sp3PCe
  • Options

IanB2 said:

They can hold out for a while but it looks as if there are too many extremist MPs for the Parliamentary majority to keep out the barbarians when the contest eventually comes.
    Assuming the barbarians are able to unite around a single candidate. Uniting the frothy-mouthed hasn't proved easy in the past.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dr. Foxy, Boris is unfit to be PM. He's vainglorious and self-regarding to a psychologically unhealthy level.

He's still better than Corbyn.

Of course, if Boris were leading the blues and the reds had someone who wasn't a self-declared friend of Hamas as leader then my vote might be going the other way.

No; it's an unpleasant choice, but I would rather have someone who sees society's problems and has a commitment to tackle them, even if some his solutions are wrong, than have someone who sees nothing beyond his own notoriety and next career move.
    Hmm, that's an interesting dilemma. I think it would depend on how wrong those solutions were - commitment to tackle problems possibly matters not if the solutions are genuinely truly terrible, and if the other option is only going to be mildly crappy.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

You think it's appropriate for an ex Foreign Secretary and possible party leader to ridicule women for how they choose to dress?

Where's your inner hippy. Wouldn't you prefer that people could live and let live?
    Conservative candidates for local elections have been deselected for less than what Coco The Clown wrote. The same rules and expectations should apply equally to this arrogant charlatan. If it means lots of swivel eyed right-wingers leave the party and join their more natural home in the BNP or UKIP so much the better. The Conservative Party used to be a sensible right of centre organisation for grown ups, what a disaster for the country that it is no more.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

As were Labour MPs with Corbyn. In the case of Boris, or someone JRM aligned who they know strike a chord with a significant section of the base, will they dare stop them getting to the final two so they can be put to the members? Although I think Boris has enough numbers to get there anyway, I think AlastairMeeks was right the other day about the necessary kind of scenario where he wouldn't.
    The two processes work differently, as we all know. And Tories won't be 'lending' their votes to candidates to widen the field - more likely in order to narrow it.

The question is whether there are already enough nutters to get one of their candidates through. Boris has been lacking conspicuous support amongst Tory MPs of late, and his primadonna behaviour hasn't exactly been aimed at winning over any that are wavering on the fence...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

The two processes work differently, as we all know. And Tories won't be 'lending' their votes to candidates to widen the field - more likely in order to narrow it.

I wasn't suggesting they would lend support in the same manner. But if they end up with, say, Hunt and Javid as the final two, the membership, or a section of it, seems like it would flip its lid over that, and I'd speculate some of the MPs would think it is a good idea if the final two includes a hard leaver, or someone acceptable to them.
  • Options
    Rather than moaning Anna Soubry should be doing everything possible to increase the membership to prevent a Boris takeover
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

What Dan van man's house looks like when actually covered roof to floor in flags (@Anazina you might feel overly oppressed by this)

Depressed. His poor neighbour’s attempts to restore some sort of homepride by putting out a few pot plants is like taking a peashooter to a gunfight. What a bellend.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Look what has been done to Corbyn. Imagine that done to Boris. That is why he won't reach the final two and might not even stand.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Look what has been done to Corbyn. Imagine that done to Boris. That is why he won't reach the final two and might not even stand.
    Alastair had an interesting thread discussing some of the permutations of a putative leadership election. It's not impossible for Boris to end up on the ballot. It partly depends on how many candidates put their name forward in the first round.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Depressed. His poor neighbour’s attempts to restore some sort of homepride by putting out a few pot plants is like taking a peashooter to a gunfight. What a bellend.
    Emily's joining in too

https://goo.gl/images/FhGPtQ
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Alastair had an interesting thread discussing some of the permutations of a putative leadership election. It's not impossible for Boris to end up on the ballot. It partly depends on how many candidates put their name forward in the first round.
    Yes I saw AM's thread and understand the sums but I believe MPs will be too worried about Boris's vulnerability to a tsunami of criticism like what has hit Corbyn. And if they are not then his rival leadership candidates will soon remind them.
  • Options

Retailer’s warehouse operator has stopped processing orders in dispute over payment.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/15/house-fraser-pulls-plug-website-customer-complaints-warehouse-dispute-payments?CMP=share_btn_tw

My local branch was like a ghost town this afternoon, with a number of concessions already having left, no doubt unwilling to have their brand trashed by association with Ashley.

• Options
    edited August 2018

John_M said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes I saw AM's thread and understand the sums but I believe MPs will be too worried about Boris's vulnerability to a tsunami of criticism like what has hit Corbyn. And if they are not then his rival leadership candidates will soon remind them.
    They'd do better to come up with a thoughtful, attractive and coherent manifesto. Bar my lapse into sin in '97/'01, I'm a lifelong Tory voter (since '79) and I see nothing but muddle and confusion. I couldn't vote for Corbyn, but I'm not interested in prolonging an intellectually bankrupt government, irrespective of who they choose as the figurehead.
  • Options

Leave the poor s*d alone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Current Conservative MP’s?

Hmmmm
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

My local branch was like a ghost town this afternoon, with a number of concessions already having left, no doubt unwilling to have their brand trashed by association with Ashley.

What is wrong with Ashley?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

Would you want him to be in charge of your workplace?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    AndyJS said:
    Excluding foreign residents and people from Australia and Singapore.
  • Options

I renewed my house insurance last October. One of the incentives as a £50 House of Fraser voucher. Tried to spend it a few weeks ago and all their terminals were down. Now......
  • Options

This is the man that started with one shop and now has multiple shops creating employment for lots of generically young people. He also rewards them with profit share, in 2017 he shared 43mil with the employees which was 21K each.
    He messed up by using a slave labour employment agency that used posted workers from the EU. If Ashley has fixed the issues, then I blame the agency not Ashley and he was also very honest at the select committee meeting, the civil service should take note.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Hmmmm
    Five minutes of common sense or years of misery; it's their choice.
  • Options

Awful employer.

Sports Direct staff 'not treated as humans', says MPs' report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36855374

Sports Direct workers paid less than minimum wage yet to get back pay

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/28/sports-direct-workers-yet-to-receive-backpay-transline-mps-told

Ambulances were called to Sports Direct International’s headquarters more than 80 times in two years, according to a report.

From January 2013 to December 2014, 76 ambulances or paramedic cars were sent to the postcode for Sports Direct’s distribution centre, according to a Freedom of Information request by the BBC. Another seven ambulance calls were cancelled, the BBC said.

“Life-threatening” conditions made up 36 of the calls for staff at the sports retailer’s offices at Shirebrook, Derbyshire, the request, made by the BBC’s Inside Out team, showed. Symptoms included chest pains, breathing problems, convulsions and strokes, the request to to East Midlands Ambulance Service found.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/05/ambulances-called-to-sports-direct-hq-more-than-80-times-in-two-years
  • Options

Awful employer.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/28/sports-direct-workers-yet-to-receive-backpay-transline-mps-told

Ambulances were called to Sports Direct International’s headquarters more than 80 times in two years, according to a report.

From January 2013 to December 2014, 76 ambulances or paramedic cars were sent to the postcode for Sports Direct’s distribution centre, according to a Freedom of Information request by the BBC. Another seven ambulance calls were cancelled, the BBC said.

“Life-threatening” conditions made up 36 of the calls for staff at the sports retailer’s offices at Shirebrook, Derbyshire, the request, made by the BBC’s Inside Out team, showed. Symptoms included chest pains, breathing problems, convulsions and strokes, the request to to East Midlands Ambulance Service found.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/05/ambulances-called-to-sports-direct-hq-more-than-80-times-in-two-years
    I believe they were managed and employed by the employment agency in an outsourcing deal.
    I also note no charges for not paying the minimum wage, why?
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

That would be easier on all of them in the long term, but I'm not convinced - MPs, like most of us, take the short term easy option, and I worry enough genuinely back him and enough others prepared to give him a shot because of the barracking that would ensue if no hard leaver makes it to the final two, to get him through. Boris not standing would make him a total laughing stock, given how blatantly he has pitched for the job and caused trouble even while in the Cabinet, but we shall see if he cops out again.
  • Options

Awful employer.

He also had no employee pension scheme in place until he was forced to. I know someone who is extremely happy to be retiring but who will be dependent on a private pension from now on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    AndyJS said:
    I suspect that will be in contravention of their FTAs. We may be about to see an ISDS tribunal overturn the law
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

AndyJS said:
    With whom NZ has FTAs...

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

IanB2 said:

Hmmmm
    Suspect neither of them have the support of enough MPs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

That would be easier on all of them in the long term, but I'm not convinced - MPs, like most of us, take the short term easy option, and I worry enough genuinely back him and enough others prepared to give him a shot because of the barracking that would ensue if no hard leaver makes it to the final two, to get him through. Boris not standing would make him a total laughing stock, given how blatantly he has pitched for the job and caused trouble even while in the Cabinet, but we shall see if he cops out again.
    Johnson is a blonde David Milliband. I think a swing and a miss would be devastating to his amour propre. He might find more consolation as the eternal King across the water.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

He conceded he wasn't the right person for the job last time, and it is hard to see that the task ahead makes him any more suitable. The only difference is that some time has elapsed since Gove's stinging criticism, and that assumes he doesn't say it all again. It will be interesting to see how Boris deals with this; his normal approach of trying to laugh everything off will quickly run out of road.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    With whom NZ has FTAs...
    It has more FTAs than that so that's not the only factor.

https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/trade/free-trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements-in-force/
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Hmmmm
    Suspect neither of them have the support of enough MPs.
    The other risk is that in trying to gather such support, Boris makes all sorts of unsuitable job offers to unsuitable people (as indeed he tried last time, even if he fluffed it and promised the same job multiple times). This would increase the risk of a Boris administration still further.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    I suspect that will be in contravention of their FTAs. We may be about to see an ISDS tribunal overturn the law
    Who would the relevant court be ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Foreign residents not foreigners. Big difference!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

He conceded he wasn't the right person for the job last time, and it is hard to see that the task ahead makes him any more suitable. The only difference is that some time has elapsed since Gove's stinging criticism, and that assumes he doesn't say it all again. It will be interesting to see how Boris deals with this; his normal approach of trying to laugh everything off will quickly run out of road.
    You'd think so, since I'd agree that if he was not right before why would he be now, but I think he'll in part say it is because he was confident Brexit would be dealt with correctly last time, and it wasn't so he must reluctantly pick up the sword.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like Brexit.

Yes, I fear so*.

Indeed.

Leavers want to fuck business, just like Corbyn.

Corbynites talk about taking an economic hit for long term gain, just like Leavers.

I've got the headline sorted, Brexiteers and Corbynites, two cheeks of the same arse.
    The problem is that Remain is the bit that slides out through the middle.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like Brexit.

Yes, I fear so*.

Indeed.

Corbynites talk about taking an economic hit for long term gain, just like Leavers.

I've got the headline sorted, Brexiteers and Corbynites, two cheeks of the same arse.
    You're confusing it with Chequers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like Brexit.

Populists sell snake oil, but it's not as if either the Iraq War or the GFC reflect credit on non-populist politicians.
  • Options
    Gordon is Labour.... Old Labour..... through and through. If he thinks he can help he will try. 2010 was a personal disaster for him, nit just a political one.
  • Options
    I know you'll all be shocked to know that Chris Grayling shows another sector he is as useful as a marzipan dildo

Road haulage firms have accused Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, of failing to put in place any credible contingency plans for a 'no-deal' Brexit scenario, as well as "knowing nothing" about their industry.

Speaking to the Telegraph, industry leaders said they were left astonished in recent meetings with Mr Grayling where he appeared to be unaware that British lorry drivers would not be able to carry goods on the continent if the UK crashes out of the bloc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/15/chris-grayling-has-no-credible-plan-no-deal-brexit-road-hauliers/
  • Options

I renewed my house insurance last October. One of the incentives as a £50 House of Fraser voucher. Tried to spend it a few weeks ago and all their terminals were down. Now......
    I have just sent mine back to Head Office as instructed by HoF staff. It will supposedly be replaced although I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Good afternoon, everyone.

I suspect this won't make a difference. Without watching the video, one suspects arch-Remainers will titter at the mockery of the heretics, arch-Leavers will think it's just ContinuityFear, and most people in between will never see it.

Mr. Root, the Newcastle rape gang sent down a while back got sod all coverage compared to the Westminster village journalists wetting themselves over the shock of Julia Hartley-Brewer's knee being touched 20 years ago.

And they wonder why trust in the media is declining.

On topic, I very much agree with Mr Dancer's assessment of this video.

I wouldn't worry about it "catching on" - it speaks only to the converted. It's an attempt to stretch out a ten second gag into a two minute short and it lacks the punch of, say, Cassetteboy's Cameron rap, which again only speaks to the converted but is genuinely funny.

The Momentum videos of the 2017 election campaign remain the gold standard for me. The one with the nurse and the banker really hit home, while I've done well out of the last few years it really made me stop and think about all the people who haven't. Good ads have empathy, and this had it in spades.

https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesMomentum/videos/457075104637882/

Their one with the definitely-not-Branson talking about the railways was brilliant too, and hard to argue against.

https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesMomentum/videos/458423314503061/

Those are videos to worry about, because they give staunch Tories like me pause for thought.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

Gordon is Labour.... Old Labour..... through and through. If he thinks he can help he will try. 2010 was a personal disaster for him, nit just a political one.
    I totally agree. It shows how bad things are for Labour that Gordon has decided to comment. He has been very quiet otherwise.
  • Options

I know you'll all be shocked to know that Chris Grayling shows another sector he is as useful as a marzipan dildo

Road haulage firms have accused Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, of failing to put in place any credible contingency plans for a 'no-deal' Brexit scenario, as well as "knowing nothing" about their industry.

Speaking to the Telegraph, industry leaders said they were left astonished in recent meetings with Mr Grayling where he appeared to be unaware that British lorry drivers would not be able to carry goods on the continent if the UK crashes out of the bloc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/15/chris-grayling-has-no-credible-plan-no-deal-brexit-road-hauliers/

sheesh

he almost sounds as shit as Osborne
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like Brexit.

Yes, I fear so*.

Indeed.

Superb :lol:
  • Options

Grayling is inept and should have been booted out of cabinet ages ago
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like Brexit.

Populists sell snake oil, but it's not as if either the Iraq War or the GFC reflect credit on non-populist politicians.
    imo

realistically we will over time get a new establishment. it will come largely from the places the current establishment comes from

but it will have different views and be more conscious of delivering red meat to the voters
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

sheesh

No no, that won't do at all.

The correct swivel-eyed response is that of course there'll be a deal that allows our road haulage industry to carry on sending stuff to the furriners. They need us more than we need them, remember?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

AndyJS said:
    I am pretty sure the NZ second home ban is aimed at Chinese.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

AndyJS said:
    Foreign residents not foreigners. Big difference!
    Well permanent NZ residents and NZ citizens to be exact. Non resident NZ citizens can buy.

But non resident citizens of Singapore Under their trade deal with NZ and Australia are exempt from the ban. And other nationals can still buy new build flats if they are a non resident but not land or houses.

Maybe when Mrs May agrees our NZ trade deal she might get an exemption for UK nationals too!
  • Options

sheesh

No no, that won't do at all.

The correct swivel-eyed response is that of course there'll be a deal that allows our road haulage industry to carry on sending stuff to the furriners. They need us more than we need them, remember?
    oh dear

swivel eyed

the cry of the unthinking remainer

I genuinely hope you have a nice evening, Im having a G+T.

why not try one yourself ?
  • Options
    Completely O/T, I've just read the funniest last words.

John Amery was sentenced to death for treason after the war. As he was led to execution, he exclaimed "Ah, Mr. Pierrepoint, I've always wanted to meet you, although not, as I'm sure you'll understand, under present circumstances."

Understandably, Pierrepoint described him as "the bravest man I've ever hanged."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited August 2018
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like Brexit.

I was never in much doubt that Iraq and Brexit would end up as huge political messes, for essentially the same reason. The motivations for the actions weren't necessarily bad but a false prospectus totally oversold to convince a substantially sceptical public is never a recipe for success.
  • Options
    How many British Pakistani child rape gangs are there? I've lost count, and have a horrible feeling we're only scratching the surface so far.

Is there a number where someone will admit it's a British Pakistani problem rather than a child rape problem?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited August 2018
    Sean_F said:

John Amery was sentenced to death for treason after the war. As he was led to execution, he exclaimed "Ah, Mr. Pierrepoint, I've always wanted to meet you, although not, as I'm sure you'll understand, under present circumstances."

Understandably, Pierrepoint described him as "the bravest man I've ever hanged."

John was executed in the hiatus between his father and brother serving as MPs. They collectively served from 1911-1992, with the exceptions of 1945-50 and 1966-69.
  • Options

Grayling is the epitome of the donkey with the blue rosette!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Sean_F said:

I think he also had the distinction of being arrested by Alan Whicker.
  • Options
    Donald Trump has revoked the security clearance of ex-CIA chief John Brennan, denying the US president's critic of any access to sensitive information.
  • Options

Grayling is the epitome of the donkey with the blue rosette!
    The donkey doesn't normally get given a job in the cabinet though.
This discussion has been closed.