Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for the no deal Blame Game

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    Here's tae the SNP, wha's like 'em, etc.
    Well, if MP# wish to revoke, they need to make their views clear.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

For the first time I think it's actually going to be a No Deal on Friday isn't it?

This is August 1914. Not many actually want war/no deal, but everyone is too entrenched and stubborn to compromise to avoid it.

Mark Francois looked delighted about it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216

For the first time I think it's actually going to be a No Deal on Friday isn't it?

This is August 1914. Not many actually want war/no deal, but everyone is too entrenched and stubborn to compromise to avoid it.

Is no deal will be fine the modern day equivalent to it'll all be over by Christmas?
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

Weird people even think to argue against this. https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1108674754800701445

Well count me down as one of those weird people. Allowing people to vote without implementing what they decided is not democratic. The vote must be implemented first, then if people want to call another vote to rejoin then that would be perfectly democratic.
    Why is it not democratic? That is a claim that needs justifying rather than just making. If I ask for tea then change my mind and say, actually, coffee, what is the point in making me drink the tea first before I get the coffee?
    Technically it was an advisory referendum so therefore no need to implement it but when the government who called the referendum promise, in government literature, said specifically that what the people decide will be implemented, then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the result will be implemented, and to claim that disregarding the first result in the hope of getting the right result second time is somehow more democratic than implementing the first result first is misleading at best.

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most productive governments of my lifetime have come on the back of bad times and possibly mistakes. The winter of discontent yielded Thatcher, the dysfunctionality of the Major years yielded the boom around the Millennium and the successful early Blair years, the 2008 financialne who thinks the deal is awful and No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.
    I cannot see that any basic democratic principle is being infringed. The deomcratic obligation was to pay due attention to the result and to give Leave a reasonable amount of time to demonstrate that the result was capable of enactment. We have done all that.
    Technically you are correct but I'm not concerned about technicalities. I'm concerned about what people will do if it is proven that their democratic voice counts for nothing. How do you expect people to react when the ballot box ceases to be a viable way of expressing one's opinion?
    With a great big "Meh."
    A society is as strong as its institutions. It’s not a free hit ignoring the democratic will. It has consequences for the nation, when you weaken those institutions you weaken the nation.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

I still can't actually believe that so many Remainers are playing his game. There's a deal there, has been for months, I was certain - certain - that Remainers would accept such a soft Brexit transition deal to avoid risk of no deal.

I was wrong.
  • Options

Most people involved think they can win total victory over their opponents.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

eek said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

TudorRose said:

eek said:

TudorRose said:

eek said:

PM Farsge takes us out no deal, no referendum, no negotiation

PM Farage would come up against the limits of state power just as May has. It's not possible to 'no deal' without the two year Article 50 period.
    Incorrect. There is no need for a two year period. It is only there if negotiation is required
    That's not true under EU law. The only way to bring forward the exit date is via a negotiated agreement. 'No Deal' by definition is the absence of an agreement and only happens after the two years.
    Well, technically but PM Farage says 'we are leaving with no deal and until you agree an immediate date I will veto everything etc etc'
    The idea that the Brexit Party will win election seats is unlikely - it's not like the Tories won't be standing as a leave party...
    .... which won't stand up if we've just revoked (which was the premise of the original post).
    Won't it were Boris to be the leader?
    If we've revoked under May then the remaining six members of the Tory party can unanimously elect Grieve as leader.
    True but remember this is a game of avoiding the blame. May's deal is dead as a Dodo (in fact I suspect resurrecting the Dodo is more likely) which leaves No Deal or revoke as the options left.

Given those options which one has more recovery options...
    Both make a fair few people very upset but one damages real lives whereas the other leaves things be.
    Yep - if the Tories think Revoke is bad, wait until they see the result of No Deal is 1 year down the line...
    Similar to us crashing out of the ERM?
    Not again. The problem with these "remainers crying wolf" type arguments is that they fail to take into account what happened at the end of that particular fable.

The problem we remainers have is that counterfactuals don't make the news, the press never turns up when the plane lands safely, but I've seen enough evidence to convince me that the cumulative small effects of a no-deal scenario would be an absolute disaster. The only way I can"prove" that is to let it happen. Which clearly I don't want.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

Reading the thread there are many well intentioned ideas how to resolve the issue including revoke, as a second referendum is now all but impossible with the EU elections in May and our need to pass legislation to participate which is unlikely between now and the 11th April

The only realistic choices are TM deal - no deal - revoke and all in a week

Our mps have to make a decision and stick to it

We run out of time on the 22nd May altogether

I think we run out of time next week if TM's deal is not passed. The EU will not extend unless they have that guarantee.
    They have an emergency head of state meeting penciled in for next Thursday and that is the crisis meeting for everyone, as no deal happens next day

I expect them to agree a transition period to no deal at that time
    How would you expect that to work? Are we still members and subject to the Treaties (in which case, to all intents and purposes, it becomes a faffing extension during which we can still revoke or, probably, come up with Unicorns Plus). I thought everyone had been very clear that a transition period only applies to Deal - this is the first suggestion I've seen otherwise.. apart from Davis getting it arse-about-face in some Q&A.

(And if we're not actual members, then I suspect there are a lot of laws which aren't in place for any sort of special third country status).
    I expect we would be out and emergency measures agreed for a one to two year period to mitigate the damage across Europe
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

Weird people even think to argue against this. https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1108674754800701445

Well count me down as one of those weird people. Allowing people to vote without implementing what they decided is not democratic. The vote must be implemented first, then if people want to call another vote to rejoin then that would be perfectlmocratic.
    Why is it not democratic? That is a claim that needs justifying rather than just making. If I ask for tea then change my mind and say, actually, coffee, what is the point in making me drink the tea first before I get the coffee?
    Technically it was an advisory referendum so therefore no need to implement it but when the government who called the referendum promise, in government literature, said specifically that what the people decide will be implemented, then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the result will be implemented, and to claim that disregarding the first result in the hope of getting the right result second time is somehow more democratic than implementing the first result first is misleading at best.

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most productive governments of my lifetime have come on the back of bad times and possibly mistakes. The winter of discontent yielded Thatcher, the dysfunctionality of the Major years yielded the boom around the Millennium and the successful early Blair years, the 2008 financial crisis yielded a highly competent coalition government.

It really worries me how many people are happy to ditch basic democratic principles because they don't like a decision the people have made, and expect that by doing so, that precedent will not be used against them in the future and there will be no long term effect of such a decision. And I say this as someone who thinks the deal is awful and No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.
    I cannot see that any basic democratic principle is being infringed. The deomcratic obligation was to pay due attention to the result and to give Leave a reasonable amount of time to demonstrate that the result was capable of enactment. We have done all that.
    Technically you are correct but I'm not concerned about technicalities. I'm concerned about what people will do if it is proven that their democratic voice counts for nothing. How do you expect people to react when the ballot box ceases to be a viable way of expressing one's opinion?
    Plunging us through three years of political crisis is hardly nothing
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

Well count me down as one of those weird people. Allowing people to vote without implementing what they decided is not democratic. The vote must be implemented first, then if people want to call another vote to rejoin then that would be perfectly democratic.

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most productive governments of my lifetime have come on the back of bad times and possibly mistakes. The winter of discontent yielded Thatcher, the dysfunctionality of the Major years yielded the boom around the Millennium and the successful early Blair years, the 2008 financialne who thinks the deal is awful and No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.
    With a great big "Meh."
    A society is as strong as its institutions. It’s not a free hit ignoring the democratic will. It has consequences for the nation, when you weaken those institutions you weaken the nation.
    Obviously right. We are looking for the least bad solution, not a good solution.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Thompson, reminds me a little of many (including me) being of the view, for years/months, that Remain would easily win about 60/40.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

I certainly hope so. Although any other outcome that leaves May humiliated and broken is also just fine.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    I actually don't understand the stance of Labour in all of this. They are sleepwalking into No Deal and about to take the blame for it. The mind boggles.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most d No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.
    It will be perfectly valid as the ballot box will be used to ASK THE SAME PEOPLE.

Sorry to shout but many anti-second reffers act as though a completely different set of people will be asked. The Dutch, say, or that recently-discovered tribe in Papua New Guinea. Whereas it will be the very same British people. How on earth can that be undemocratic?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Scott_P said:
    Hope they'd be as flippant about Sindy being reversed if it all just proves too difficult.
    If nothing else Brexit has shown what a Scottish independence referendum victory will actually be like, except it will be this times 10, or maybe a 100.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    MaxPB said:

I actually don't understand the stance of Labour in all of this. They are sleepwalking into No Deal and about to take the blame for it. The mind boggles.

Its what Corbyn wants, and he think he won't get the blame for it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I wonder what gave his guy away? Has he never watched The Wire?

Drugs kingpin who partied in clubs, drove speedboats, supercars and a hoverboard and supplied £2m of cocaine to the South East is jailed for 15 years

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6834007/Drugs-kingpin-jailed-15-years-supplying-2m-cocaine.html
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most productive governments of my lifetime have come on the back of bad times and possibly mistakes. The winter of discontent yielded Thatcher, the dysfunctionality of the Major years yielded the boom around the Millennium and the successful early Blair years, the 2008 financial crisis yielded a highly competent coalition government.

It really worries me how many people are happy to ditch basic democratic principles because they don't like a decision the people have made, and expect that by doing so, that precedent will not be used against them in the future and there will be no long term effect of such a decision. And I say this as someone who thinks the deal is awful and No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.
    The so-called 'deal' is a pile of shite. I'd rather like a referendum to ratify it - or not, proving my point - but it appears that this won't happen.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

With a great big "Meh."
    You will no doubt be able to speedily point out the posts you made making the same point when the judiciary were attacked by Leavers as enemies of the people, and when Leavers attacked the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Governor of the Bank of England, the BBC, the House of Lords, the Speaker and every other institution that raised points that were inconvenient to Leavers at one point or another.
  • Options
    Mr. glw, ironically, if the SNP had won that then Scotland would be out of the EU and we'd be in it.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2019
    MaxPB said:

They will spin it as May's crap deal, if only the Tories had listened to our much much better deal. That is why even now Jezza is still pushing this line of short delay to totally renegotiate the whole thing.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I still can't actually believe that so many Remainers are playing his game. There's a deal there, has been for months, I was certain - certain - that Remainers would accept such a soft Brexit transition deal to avoid risk of no deal.

I was wrong.
    The overwhelming majority of the HoC are either May dealers (250 odd) or even softer Brexiteers (Lucy Powell and some others) or remainers, so the ERG wing's desire for a no deal ought to be dead in the water by now..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Will they still think that and act that way right to us going over the cliff?

Unlike the Italian Job we can't just wrap up the credits at 10.59pm next Friday leaving this never resolved.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    My simile between some premiership footballers and MPs is stronger than I thought. On one side, footballers earning a £100,000 a week stop playing for a manager because he's not nice enough to them, never mind the fans who pay their wages. And now we have MPs who will vote against a deal to spite the PM who's not nice enough to them, never mind the country.

One lot are seen as spoilt children, the other lot retain some sympathy because they wear the right shirt on match day. Who is the most childish? A tricky one.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Pulpstar said:

I was wrong.
    I was too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited March 2019

Scott_P said:
    Hope they'd be as flippant about Sindy being reversed if it all just proves too difficult.
    Even taking into account that we're in a 'weirdly unified in purpose SNP' rather than 'SNP civil war' media cycle, there's zero chance in the event of indy of the SNP being anywhere close to the level of the fissiparous, self immolating, incompetent Tory party.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, aye.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    Caz was always one of my favourites from the Blair/Brown years. :D
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Unlike the Italian Job we can't just wrap up the credits at 10.59pm next Friday leaving this never resolved.
    People who want no deal will be delighted. Many Remainers will also be delighted, because they think that if we're eating grass for a few months, it will bring us to our senses.
  • Options
    The EU communique tonight may well be a big moment

No extension without deal signed

No extension for further negotiations

An extension for a GE or referendum only if we take part in the EU elections in May and limited to 31st Dec 2019

That would be interesting
  • Options
    edited March 2019

notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most productive governments of my lifetime have come onncialne who thinks the deal is awful and No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.
    With a great big "Meh."
    You will no doubt be able to speedily point out the posts you made making the same point when the judiciary were attacked by Leavers as enemies of the people, and when Leavers attacked the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Governor of the Bank of England, the BBC, the House of Lords, the Speaker and every other institution that raised points that were inconvenient to Leavers at one point or another.
    All those things are right, they all attack the institutions and they all chip away at them. Revoking Brexit (rather then just having a second referendum) is to not chip away. But to smash it to pieces with a gigantic mallet.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    CD13 said:

My simile between some premiership footballers and MPs is stronger than I thought. On one side, footballers earning a £100,000 a week stop playing for a manager because he's not nice enough to them, never mind the fans who pay their wages. And now we have MPs who will vote against a deal to spite the PM who's not nice enough to them, never mind the country.

One lot are seen as spoilt children, the other lot retain some sympathy because they wear the right shirt on match day. Who is the most childish? A tricky one.

MPs like footballers (because clubs consider them an asset) are far too hard to sack, and so they get away with behaviour that would result in most of us being fired.
  • Options
    MP should, and only should vote on what is provided in front of them, witht he best judgement of what is best.

If they're not doing that, and we have a no-deal, which the vast majority of them don't want, and the public don't want, then it will be failure of both government and parliment.

Thats very very very serious, as how can the public have faith in any MP, and any party if this happens.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It has long been my view that if the people make a mistake, then that mistake must be delivered fully. The strongest and most productive governments of my lifetime have come onncialne who thinks the deal is awful and No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.

With a great big "Meh."
    All those things are right, they all attack the institutions and they all chip away at them. Revoking Brexit (rather then just having a second referendum) is to not chip away. But to smash it to pieces with a gigantic mallet.
    I see. So things that don’t bother you are ok and things that do bother you are not ok.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Remarkably, it seems that the one group that will not get the blame is the EU27. Whatever happens now our politicians have ensured that they will own it. I am pretty sure that was not supposed to be the plan!

That might not be true in their own countries, of course.
  • Options
    I don't understand why May said what she did last night? She could have made a similar message but phrased it a bit differently and come across completely different.

She should have simply said that the time for negotiations and indecision is over so Parliament needs to make a decision. She has written to the EU to request an extension to Article 50 and they have said they will give one if Parliament backs the deal. So her deal will be put one last time on Friday (22nd) and if it passes then we will leave with a deal, if it doesn't pass then the government will immediately invoke Operation Yellowhammer and spend the final 7 days preparing for no deal. She urges Parliament to choose a deal over no deal.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

So how’s that building of a consensus for Brexit going?

It's close as to whether the revoke petition becomes the most signed (on the official online platform) by 9am.
    a revoke can costs two tricks IIRC.. an unwelcome outcome
    At the moment we're in seven spades redoubled with a void in the suit and partner has just put down Jxx.
    This is what happens when you use the blackwood convention. It always ends in tears.
    That’s why Sliding Gerber is much more effective at getting to a palatable outcome
    I'll have to have a look at that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,898

I referred to this a few weeks ago as "railway timetable theory". There is a semiserious theory that once the troops had mobilised ww1 became unstoppable because they had to catch the right trains to get to the front.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

Remarkably, it seems that the one group that will not get the blame is the EU27. Whatever happens now our politicians have ensured that they will own it. I am pretty sure that was not supposed to be the plan!

That might not be true in their own countries, of course.
    In Denmark the only criticism of the government is being slow to prepare for no deal but even that is muted - this is seen as the UK going nuts and every single Dane I know is bemused and sad about the UK leaving but I haven't seen any criticism of EU behaviour.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Quite amazing - it looks like 300 odd remain MPs are going to end up following the ERG's wishes, and risk taking us into no-deal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

It's close as to whether the revoke petition becomes the most signed (on the official online platform) by 9am.
    At the moment we're in seven spades redoubled with a void in the suit and partner has just put down Jxx.
    This is what happens when you use the blackwood convention. It always ends in tears.
    That’s why Sliding Gerber is much more effective at getting to a palatable outcome
    Blackwood and Gerber should be about keeping you out of bad slams not getting you into good ones.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,898
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

People who want no deal will be delighted. Many Remainers will also be delighted, because they think that if we're eating grass for a few months, it will bring us to our senses.
    I can assure you that I will not be delighted by no-deal. I will be repulsed.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    Scott_P said:
    I think it is perfectly reasonable to not reward demagoguery. If MPs voted for her deal now, it would be a lesson to all future PMs that the way to scare MPs is to go full on speaking for the "volk".
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I referred to this a few weeks ago as "railway timetable theory". There is a semiserious theory that once the troops had mobilised ww1 became unstoppable because they had to catch the right trains to get to the front.
    *cough*

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/07/25/brace-yourselves-for-the-impending-train-wreck-of-the-brexit-negotiations/
  • Options

The EU communique tonight may well be a big moment

No extension without deal signed

No extension for further negotiations

An extension for a GE or referendum only if we take part in the EU elections in May and limited to 31st Dec 2019

That would be interesting

As this is likely to be the final meeting between May and old duffers in the EU I wonder whether we'll have fireworks tonight?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Blackwood and Gerber should be about keeping you out of bad slams not getting you into good ones.
    I'm not sure bridge analogies are appropriate here. Right now Brexit is more like playing snap with a toddler.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I won't be delighted. I expect the scare stories are overblown, but I think No Deal will cause hardship for some people, quite unnecessarily.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

MaxPB said:

Exactly
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Which is why the one-third should have the cojones to resign. Even someone as tin-eared as May would have difficulty "keeping buggering on" if her Chancellor, inter alia, resigned.

But putting trust in Philip Hammond's dynamism is a fool's errand.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Ministers being told what to say by Spin Doctors is hardly a new development?

And this government is nowhere near as ruthless at it as Bad Al was.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Quite amazing - it looks like 300 odd remain MPs are going to end up following the ERG's wishes, and risk taking us into no-deal.

There's a fundamental breakdown of parliment if this happens, and it will have huge ramifications and fallout.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Technically it was an advisory referendum so therefore no need to implement it but when the government who called the referendum promise, in government literature, said specifically that what the people decide will be implemented, then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the result will be implemented, and to claim that disregarding the first result in the hope of getting the right result second time is somehow moreand No Deal a reckless risk, at least in the short term. The long term implications of revoke, however, I believe to be much much worse.

I cannot see that any basic We have done all that.
    With a great big "Meh."
    You will no doubt be able to speedily point out the posts you made making the same point when the judiciary were attacked by Leavers as enemies of er.
    I see. So things that don’t bother you are ok and things that do bother you are not ok.
    In the event of a revoke of article 50 there will be great vengeance and furious anger on those who have facilitated it, unlike anything we have witnessed in this country for the last 350 years.

Some things just undermine trust, in an accumulative way, such as governments reneging on manifesto commitments, even a second referendum resulting in a different result. All go towards this. But on such a divisive issue as this, to have a referendum and then to wilfully ignore and revoke the result is unprecedented.

Reference was made a few posts down to the SINDY referendum. If in an alternative universe the Scots had voted to leave the UK, and the UK government just decided that it no longer should carry out the will of the Scots people.

What do you think the outcome would be?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Exactly
    :+1:

He and his inner circle think it will be seen as Tory No Deal chaotic exit and the empty shelves will guarantee him the keys to No.10.

Cynical beyond words, who knows if they are right.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

MaxPB said:

Well he will not.
    Oppositions do not as in 1992.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    148grss said:

Scott_P said:
    I think it is perfectly reasonable to not reward demagoguery. If MPs voted for her deal now, it would be a lesson to all future PMs that the way to scare MPs is to go full on speaking for the "volk".
    She doesn't even speak for the volk, seeing as 50%* of us don't want any of this crap.

* and rising.
  • Options

viewcode said:

*cough*

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/07/25/brace-yourselves-for-the-impending-train-wreck-of-the-brexit-negotiations/
    Although, the government and the EU did reach agreement in the end. Parliament however, cannot.
  • Options

Andrew said:

There's a fundamental breakdown of parliment if this happens, and it will have huge ramifications and fallout.
    Any option from here (Except May's deal passing) is a fundamental failure of parliament.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

With a great big "Meh."
    You will no doubt be able to speedily point out the posts you made making the same point when the judiciary were attacked by Leavers as enemies of er.
    In the event of a revoke of article 50 there will be great vengeance and furious anger on those who have facilitated it, unlike anything we have witnessed in this country for the last 350 years.

Some things just undermine trust, in an accumulative way, such as governments reneging on manifesto commitments, even a second referendum resulting in a different result. All go towards this. But on such a divisive issue as this, to have a referendum and then to wilfully ignore and revoke the result is unprecedented.

Reference was made a few posts down to the SINDY referendum. If in an alternative universe the Scots had voted to leave the UK, and the UK government just decided that it no longer should carry out the will of the Scots people.

What do you think the outcome would be?
    I think the striking inconsistency that Leavers show, having spent the last three years seeking to dismantle every aspect of civic life that might offer the least impediment to their malign fantasy, and now worrying about this, amounts to stinking hypocrisy.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    viewcode said:

A J P Taylor, wasn't it? More than _semi_ serious, I think.
  • Options

148grss said:

Scott_P said:
    She doesn't even speak for the volk, seeing as 50%* of us don't want any of this crap.

* and rising.
    That's the point. No one can claim to speak for the people. The entire "will of the people" nonsense is fash 101. She should not be rewarded for that.
  • Options
    From Umberto Eco on Ur-Fascism

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

13. Ur-Fascism is based upon a selective populism, a qualitative populism, one might say. In a democracy, the citizens have individual rights, but the citizens in their entirety have a political impact only from a quantitative point of view—one follows the decisions of the majority. For Ur-Fascism, however, individuals as individuals have no rights, and the People is conceived as a quality, a monolithic entity expressing the Common Will. Since no large quantity of human beings can have a common will, the Leader pretends to be their interpreter. Having lost their power of delegation, citizens do not act; they are only called on to play the role of the People. Thus the People is only a theatrical fiction. To have a good instance of qualitative populism we no longer need the Piazza Venezia in Rome or the Nuremberg Stadium. There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.

Because of its qualitative populism Ur-Fascism must be against “rotten” parliamentary governments. One of the first sentences uttered by Mussolini in the Italian parliament was “I could have transformed this deaf and gloomy place into a bivouac for my maniples”—“maniples” being a subdivision of the traditional Roman legion. As a matter of fact, he immediately found better housing for his maniples, but a little later he liquidated the parliament. Wherever a politician casts doubt on the legitimacy of a parliament because it no longer represents the Voice of the People, we can smell Ur-Fascism.

This is what May tried to do last night.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    6 by-elections today. Labour defences in Basildon, Kensington, Newcastle under Lyme, and Southend, LD defence in Durham, and Ind (former UKIP) in Thurrock. So unusually no Con defences.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    148grss said:

From Umberto Eco on Ur-Fascism

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

13. Ur-Fascism is based upon a selective populism, a qualitative populism, one might say. In a democracy, the citizens have individual rights, but the citizens in their entirety have a political impact only from a quantitative point of view—one follows the decisions of the majority. For Ur-Fascism, however, individuals as individuals have no rights, and the People is conceived as a quality, a monolithic entity expressing the Common Will. Since no large quantity of human beings can have a common will, the Leader pretends to be their interpreter. Having lost their power of delegation, citizens do not act; they are only called on to play the role of the People. Thus the People is only a theatrical fiction. To have a good instance of qualitative populism we no longer need the Piazza Venezia in Rome or the Nuremberg Stadium. There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.

Because of its qualitative populism Ur-Fascism must be against “rotten” parliamentary governments. One of the first sentences uttered by Mussolini in the Italian parliament was “I could have transformed this deaf and gloomy place into a bivouac for my maniples”—“maniples” being a subdivision of the traditional Roman legion. As a matter of fact, he immediately found better housing for his maniples, but a little later he liquidated the parliament. Wherever a politician casts doubt on the legitimacy of a parliament because it no longer represents the Voice of the People, we can smell Ur-Fascism.

This is what May tried to do last night.

And what leavers are doing today.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, the only surprising thing about notes on lines to take for ministers being interviewed is that some journalists are apparently surprised by it.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Clearly we need a pb bridge evening at some point.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I won't be delighted. I expect the scare stories are overblown, but I think No Deal will cause hardship for some people, quite unnecessarily.
    We just don't know what will happen, do we? That's why Theresa May's behaviour is so absolutely irresponsible.

Our modern, high-tech society is oh-so efficient, but oh-so fragile. There's only one way of finding out just how much of our infrastructure will stop working if we leave with No Deal in eight days' time. It looks as though our government is going to answer that question for us.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    Yes, Theresa's clearly in a massive huff and her attitude to parliament is 'You've pissed on my deal so No Deal it is. Suck it up.'
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2019
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Scott_P said:

* and rising.
    That's the point. No one can claim to speak for the people. The entire "will of the people" nonsense is fash 101. She should not be rewarded for that.
    Thatcher and Blair never much cared for the 57% who didn't vote for them. The majority of voters hated much of what Thatcher did - and did she care as she did what she thought was right for the country.

No one speaks for the people - just the people who originally voted for them. But we did have two recent national votes - one in which 85% of voters backed parties pledging to leave the EU and another in which voters decided by 52 to 48 per cent to leave the EU. But apparently polls - most of which got both elections badly wrong - online petitions and marches now out rank those votes of 35 odd million people?

If the majority of pollsters had got it right remain would have won by up to 10% (as populus predicted on 23 June 2016) and Mrs May would now have a 100 seat plus majority. And none of the issues we face today would be happening.

Shame we have to have actual elections isn't it.....
  • Options
    Labour's triangluation is still a wonder to behold !
  • Options
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Scott_P said:

* and rising.
    Thatcher and Blair never much cared for the 57% who didn't vote for them. The majority of voters hated much of what Thatcher did - and did she care as she did what she thought was right for the country.

No one speaks for the people - just the people who originally voted for them. But we did have two recent national votes - one in which 85% of voters backed parties pledging to leave the EU and another in which voters decided by 52 to 48 per cent to leave the EU. But apparently polls - most of which got both elections badly wrong - online petitions and marches now out rank those votes of 35 odd million people?

If the majority of pollsters had got it right remain would have won by up to 10% (as populus predicted on 23 June 2016) and Mrs May would now have a 100 seat plus majority. And none of the issues we face today would be happening.

Shame we have to have actual elections isn't it.....
    As a Remain voter, I think the best thing to do is Leave. Softly. That is what a 52% / 48% vote for leave suggests, as does the Tories losing their majority. The government, until this week, has not sincerely tried to engage the other parties. That is necessary in a hung parliament. This backwards thinking that Hunt came out with this morning, that a hung parliament means MPs should defer even MORE to the government line, is totally stupid.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Pulpstar said:
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.