Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The helter-skelter world of WH2020 Democratic nomination betti

Comments

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,899

Students say they don't understand university offer-making. This must change

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/feb/17/students-say-they-dont-understand-university-offer-making-this-must-change

If Boris / Big Dom want to level the playing field, post-exam entry is the easiest and fairest policy to push.

How would that work in practice? You apply after you get your A Level results?
    Yes. This has been floated a number of times before, including by Gove / Big Dom, but many universities hate it as it messes with their summer vacations.

Basically you adjust when A-Levels are taken to be earlier in the year, then get results back to kids early summer and they then apply.
    And very few other countries do that. The way we do it is the norm.
    Do you have the figures to back that up?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SirNorfolk had it absoltely right.

It was impossible to picture QI with Stephen Fry... until it wasn't.

MOTD should get rid of Lineker and watch as viewing figures plummet... maybe 10%?

Considering the Beeb doesn't bother to charge its viewers or raise ad revenue from its viewers etc what difference does it make whether the viewing figures go up or down?

If the Beeb is producing MOTD because its "culturally significant" or something like that despite the fact that all highlights are available for free on YouTube anyway then what difference does it make how many viewers its getting? How is it less culturally significant just because it has a different presenter?
    I am not sure what MOTD USP is these days. Highlights are available for free hours before (and full game if you subscribe to Sky) , the analysis provided isn't particularly insightful i.e. it isn't TIFO football, StatsBomb or even Gary Neville.

Long gone are the days when it was THE only place you could see footage of a match.
    Indeed, and it’s only a matter of time until the 3pm blackout rule goes away too, as the war against the internet is only going to end in the internet winning.
    Tifo football had an article about just how much money EPL could make out of cutting out Sky etc. In their opinion they would probably only try it out in a few foreign markets as you need to localize your commentary, provide magazine shows etc to fill the channel, but they missing out (even if it required partnering with Amazon for the tech).

And if they ran an EPL "Goal-Zone" service akin to the Red-Zone, they would absolutely coin it in, and could also cover themselves against claims of killing attendance as you don't get to see the whole match.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

The current assumptions are:
    (1) that the draconian steps taken in China are working as shown by the 4 day trend in the reducing number of diagnosed cases.
    (2) that the death rate outside China suggests 1% mortality way well prove to be pessimistic.
    (3) that this will calm down in the summer months in the same way as SARS did.
    (4) At the current rate of spread outside China we are likely to have a vaccine before this gets too serious.
    (5) The Chinese economy has the capacity to bounce back very strongly once the panic is over.

Some or all of these assumptions may prove to be optimistic. I agree that it is surprising that it is not getting more attention.

Assumptions 2 - 4 are based on very little evidence, as it simply hasn't been loose for long enough outside of China to give us much in the way of hard data. We'll have a far better idea in two to three weeks' time.
    What's for sure is that Japan is starting to think that the infection is outside of their control now...
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-seized-with-anxiety-over-homegrown-outbreak
    This is nothing like SARS, which was far easier to identify and contain.
    Having a vaccine available in quantity might take up to eighteen months.

According to our pension fund managers the view in London seems to be that this is a Q1 story. I increasingly have my doubts.
    If you believe pension fund managers, you'll believe anyone. They are masters at sounding plausible and informed.
    16% capital growth last year on moderate/low risk. #justsaying
    Benchmark?
    They have different bench marks for fixed income and equity but both are based on tracker performance of the relevant indices and both are comfortably exceeded in recent times.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/feb/17/students-say-they-dont-understand-university-offer-making-this-must-change

If Boris / Big Dom want to level the playing field, post-exam entry is the easiest and fairest policy to push.

If some students don’t understand the offer making system then I would politely suggest that perhaps university is not the correct route for them.

More seriously, what are their teachers telling them? It is no more complicated than some PR voting systems.
    Post exam entry would be great for schools as they wouldn’t be our responsibility any more. I’m not sure that would help disadvantaged students, although that might be offset by the elimination of state schools tendency to under predict grades compared to the fee paying sector.
    Choosing which Uni's to apply to is dependent upon more than academic grounds. Going back 60 years my sister had the choice of London or Nottingham. Nottingham was the choice, because, as my mother said, she'd have to live away from home and learn to cope with world.
    Both my sons did what I did; went to the first place which accepted them. Granddaughter One is currently applying to do a taught PhD and her choice is likely to be made on ease of travel from where she and her beloved are living.
    I’ve seen a lot of students decide based on the quality of the night life they were expecting.
    Newcastle should be everyone’s first choice then.
  • Options

If some students don’t understand the offer making system then I would politely suggest that perhaps university is not the correct route for them.

More seriously, what are their teachers telling them? It is no more complicated than some PR voting systems.
    Post exam entry would be great for schools as they wouldn’t be our responsibility any more. I’m not sure that would help disadvantaged students, although that might be offset by the elimination of state schools tendency to under predict grades compared to the fee paying sector.
    Choosing which Uni's to apply to is dependent upon more than academic grounds. Going back 60 years my sister had the choice of London or Nottingham. Nottingham was the choice, because, as my mother said, she'd have to live away from home and learn to cope with world.
    Both my sons did what I did; went to the first place which accepted them. Granddaughter One is currently applying to do a taught PhD and her choice is likely to be made on ease of travel from where she and her beloved are living.
    I’ve seen a lot of students decide based on the quality of the night life they were expecting.
    Not that your biased or anything ;-)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,899
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

fpt for Morris

It's potentially transformative, and almost all of the changes will be negative.

It could break China. There is a strong rumour now that the flu was man made in a lab in Wuhan and accidentally got out (this is not conspiracy theory rubbish, it is being taken seriously).

How will the Chinese people react if this is confirmed?

The economic and political repercussions around the world will be momentous (setting aside the potential for civil disorder, riots, health system breakdowns in poorer countries).

I believe we have been lulled into a false complacency by the "slow" spread of the disease outside China, and the apparent slowing in China.

1. It isn't slow. If you look at a graph the rest of the world is almost exactly following the early pattern IN China. So if this continues we can expect the world to experience what China is experiencing now. A total lockdown of entire cities/regions (if we want to contain it), martial law to enforce quarantine, rising death toll.

2. There could be many thousands already infected, mildly, who have not been tested. So it may have already spread much wider than we think. eg Indonesia is reporting zero cases. How likely is that to be true? Not very

3. The death rate could be less than we fear, but it could also be worse, esp when it hits poor disorganised countries, and their health systems crack

4. Fuck.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1229385857892831233?s=20

I think 2 is the key. Indeed, I think the way it's spreading across Japan suggests that there are many people with only very mild symptoms, or who are perhaps completely asymptomatic.

This is both a positive and a negative. It suggests it will be extremely hard to stop via traditional containment, as many more people have the virus than we think. On the other hand, it suggests that fatality rates are probably dramatically lower than the 1-3% reported so far.
    On the other hand, the virus may be mutating. Marvellous
    Viruses mutate all the time. The surprise would be if it didn't mutate.
  • Options

I know that Durham is normally a second choice...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020
    FFS, the eco-fascists tw@ts are back at it again..

Watch as Extinction Rebellion destroy prized Trinity College lawn in mass protest

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/watch-extinction-rebellion-destroy-prized-17761408

But its ok, the plod are going to do something...oh wait...no they aren't.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/extinction-rebellion-trinity-lawn-arrests-17761864
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,456
    kinabalu said:

Research has found that stimulation of the brain centres responsible for fear and disgust causes a marked (temporary!) shift towards right-wing political positions. E.g. showing someone a video of wriggling maggots will lead them to express harsher views on border control. If coronavirus is the main story of 2020, then the right should benefit.

On the other hand, so might the candidate proposing a free universal healthcare system...

I thought the Right was about "aspiration" not fear of maggots?
    Right wing in this case in a law and order sense. I don't think you can shift someone to becoming a free marketeer in thsi way. Although the human brain is such a peculiar thing that there almost certainly is a way of subliminally encouraging libertarianism.

'Behave' by Robert Sapolsky is very interesting in this respect (and many others).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behave-Biology-Humans-Best-Worst/dp/1594205078
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,001
    edited February 2020

I know that Durham is normally a second choice...
    Nowt wrong with King's College Durham..

As for Durham itself when I compare it with 20 years ago the sheer number of students at the university does seem to be destroying the city.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,016
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

(1) that the draconian steps taken in China are working as shown by the 4 day trend in the reducing number of diagnosed cases.
    (2) that the death rate outside China suggests 1% mortality way well prove to be pessimistic.
    (4) At the current rate of spread outside China we are likely to have a vaccine before this gets too serious.
    (5) The Chinese economy has the capacity to bounce back very strongly once the panic is over.

Some or all of these assumptions may prove to be optimistic. I agree that it is surprising that it is not getting more attention.

Assumptions 2 - 4 are based on very little evidence, as it simply hasn't been loose for long enough outside of China to give us much in the way of hard data. We'll have a far better idea in two to three weeks' time.
    What's for sure is that Japan is starting to think that the infection is outside of their control now...
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-seized-with-anxiety-over-homegrown-outbreak

According to our pension fund managers the view in London seems to be that this is a Q1 story. I increasingly have my doubts.
    If you believe pension fund managers, you'll believe anyone. They are masters at sounding plausible and informed.
    Benchmark?
    They have different bench marks for fixed income and equity but both are based on tracker performance of the relevant indices and both are comfortably exceeded in recent times.
    Tracker performances! Your fund managers are very lucky. They get a 0.5% a year headstart relative to how it used tobe in my day, when you were expected to beat the index on an after fees basis by 1.5-2.0% per year.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Sandpit said:

MOTD should get rid of Lineker and watch as viewing figures plummet... maybe 10%?

Considering the Beeb doesn't bother to charge its viewers or raise ad revenue from its viewers etc what difference does it make whether the viewing figures go up or down?

If the Beeb is producing MOTD because its "culturally significant" or something like that despite the fact that all highlights are available for free on YouTube anyway then what difference does it make how many viewers its getting? How is it less culturally significant just because it has a different presenter?
    I am not sure what MOTD USP is these days. Highlights are available for free hours before (and full game if you subscribe to Sky) , the analysis provided isn't particularly insightful i.e. it isn't TIFO football, StatsBomb or even Gary Neville.

Long gone are the days when it was THE only place you could see footage of a match.
    Indeed, and it’s only a matter of time until the 3pm blackout rule goes away too, as the war against the internet is only going to end in the internet winning.
    Tifo football had an article about just how much money EPL could make out of cutting out Sky etc. In their opinion they would probably only try it out in a few foreign markets as you need to localize your commentary, provide magazine shows etc to fill the channel, but they missing out (even if it required partnering with Amazon for the tech).

And if they ran an EPL "Goal-Zone" service akin to the Red-Zone, they would absolutely coin it in, and could also cover themselves against claims of killing attendance as you don't get to see the whole match.
    Goal zone would be tough to do though, the pace of American Football is much slower - you have 40 seconds of play clock to get to first and 15, the ball being in the final third of a PL pitch ?
    That changes in seconds.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Goal zone would be tough to do though, the pace of American Football is much slower - you have 40 seconds of play clock to get to first and 15, the ball being in the final third of a PL pitch ?
    That changes in seconds.
    Not impossible, if you use a short delay, thus you know if an attack is going to produce a chance. The technology is already there to automatically clip video based upon resultant actions (without any human interaction), it is already used to package up highlights. I believe you can advance this kind of system to interweave the footage on a short delay.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Hold that thought because a lot of the lobbying for Big Tech to control what is on their platforms is not motivated by concern for small children or the prevention of terrorism as people are led to believe but is to make life more lucrative for copyright owners.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,912
    edited February 2020

Sandpit said:

It’s something that F1 are trying out, a £10 a month subscription in a few markets including the USA. After a few teething problems and technical gremlins last year, it will be interesting to see how it does this year.

I imagine that a lot of other sports are following this business model closely, it only needs a few million worldwide subscribers to bring in serious amounts of revenue. IIRC the Prem League makes around £1bn from overseas rights, that’s equivalent to 10m people paying £100 a season (minus a few million for production and distribution, which is currently done by the TV companies themselves). Get that 10m people up to 50m and they’ll make more revenue overseas than they do in the U.K.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,257

I chose on location - central London.

Incredible, looking back, barely 18 and transported from Yorkshire mining town to South Kensington, own room, no fees, grant enough to live on and get pissed every single day. Even the odd meal too.

#thosewerethedays
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

It’s something that F1 are trying out, a £10 a month subscription in a few markets including the USA. After a few teething problems and technical gremlins last year, it will be interesting to see how it does this year.

I imagine that a lot of other sports are following this business model closely, it only needs a few million worldwide subscribers to bring in serious amounts of revenue. IIRC the Prem League makes around £1bn from overseas rights, that’s equivalent to 10m people paying £100 a season (minus a few million for production and distribution, which is currently done by the TV companies themselves). Get that 10m people up to 50m and they’ll make more revenue overseas than they do in the U.K.

The only big thing the EPL has, the rights to the entire back catalogue of games. Already the likes of UFC have fight pass, which is obviously the current fights but also you can go back and watch anything from the past.

With a bit of creativity, I can imagine people quite enjoying say a personalized highlight reel of goals of the season (for their team) or a players best momemts over their career. This is all entirety do-able with technology which can auto-clip video highlights, extract goals etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Benchmark?
    Tracker performances! Your fund managers are very lucky. They get a 0.5% a year headstart relative to how it used tobe in my day, when you were expected to beat the index on an after fees basis by 1.5-2.0% per year.
    Their performance is after fees. If gilts would only stop falling we would have a slight embarrassment of riches.
  • Options

On Newcastle - things may have changed, but twenty and twenty five years ago it really didn't have much more in the way of night life than any other city of its size. But what it did have was a population who believed it was the best night out in the world. And that alone is enough to make it a good night out.

Looking back to the mid 90s, I chose the closest university which was in a different TV region. So it felt like going away, but really wasn't.

This seemed a very common approach. From my school in Stockport, the biggest destinations by some way were Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham, followed by Birmingham. Of the Oxbridge bunch, who were a bit sui generis, almost all went to Oxford. Very few people ended up more than about three hours away. But even fewer stayed in the North West. It just wasn't really done.
    And while I don't regret where I went or how life panned out, really as an 18 year old I'd have been much better off emotionally staying in Greater Manchester.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, and then there's blocking an ambulance.

https://twitter.com/MattBirdLabour/status/1229054763775483907

Maybe someone should tell the rozzers one of the anarchists tweeted a transphobic poem.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Incredible, looking back, barely 18 and transported from Yorkshire mining town to South Kensington, own room, no fees, grant enough to live on and get pissed every single day. Even the odd meal too.

#thosewerethedays
    Student self-catering = spag bol
    Sophisticated student cooking = spag bol and a bottle of wine
    Michelin-starred student cooking = call the spag bol lasagne
  • Options

The USP is this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPiZc2pkrb8

da da da der da da da da da da der da da da da - da da da ....... etc

da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da DA
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I was just poking fun at my old profession.

The reality is that as a PM you get hired for two reasons: (1) you produce decent investment returns, and (2) you can talk plausibly about pretty much anything going on in the world economy, and can relate it to how incredibly well positioned the fund is.

My only advice for anyone investing money is this: most portfolio managers have a style bias. They may not know it themselves, but they will prefer tech stocks, or oil stocks, or growth stock, or emerging market exposed stocks, or whatever. When their style is in favour, they'll perform well. When their style goes out of favour, they'll perform poorly. The number of PMs who can spin on a sixpence, and hate social media stocks one meeting and love them the next is pretty small. And the number of investment committees that realise that the ability to change one's mind is an asset and not a liability is close to zero.
    I would agree with this. Our PM really likes America (and, I suspect even Donald Trump) and technology based stocks and has very little time for Europe. That's worked out very well over the last couple of years (Mastercard, Amazon and Microsoft in particular) but it won't always be the case.

Doesn't mean they know much about viruses though.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,028

I just have to say the media orgy over Scholfield and Caroline Flack is out of control.

Thousands of ordinary folks are fighting against the weather, flooded properties, and closed businesses, the virus is causing serious worries to many people and is in danger of devastating the worlds economies and yet we have to listen to second rate celebrities going on about the wicked way of the press and media, even resurrecting hacked off, when in truth no one makes them go on social media and controlling social media is now virtually impossible

I am not saying both Scholfield and Caroline Flack are not stories but that they do not merit the wall to wall coverage. All suicides are sad and some of our children's peers have sadly committed suicide over the years and long before social media but moderation in all things please

Depends what coverage you're watching I suppose. Most coverage I've seen regarding Flack has been coverage talking about mental health issues, support groups that are available like the Samaritans, symptoms, how to cope etc - giving advice and support to people that have issues rather than paying overly much attention to Flack herself.

I don't see that as a bad thing. If the coverage you're seeing is just about Flack herself then switch over to something less trashy.
    It is well over the top on both of them by a country mile. You wouldhave to avoid all MSM not to be bombarded with it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

#thosewerethedays
    Where did you go? I am coming to an open day at UCL with my youngest on 19th June.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436
    edited February 2020

I'd be a bit wary of that as I vaguely recall evidence that students living at home and commuting are more likely to drop out, though I guess even if true, that things may be different for PhDs.
  • Options

It is getting quite exciting in Nevada
    twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1229203926655868929?s=20

Boobs for Bernie?
  • Options

It is getting quite exciting in Nevada
    ttps://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1229203926655868929?s=20

What happens in Vegas..
  • Options
    Better than the speeches, that's for sure.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I just have to say the media orgy over Scholfield and Caroline Flack is out of control.

Thousands of ordinary folks are fighting against the weather, flooded properties, and closed businesses, the virus is causing serious worries to many people and is in danger of devastating the worlds economies and yet we have to listen to second rate celebrities going on about the wicked way of the press and media, even resurrecting hacked off, when in truth no one makes them go on social media and controlling social media is now virtually impossible

I am not saying both Scholfield and Caroline Flack are not stories but that they do not merit the wall to wall coverage. All suicides are sad and some of our children's peers have sadly committed suicide over the years and long before social media but moderation in all things please

Depends what coverage you're watching I suppose. Most coverage I've seen regarding Flack has been coverage talking about mental health issues, support groups that are available like the Samaritans, symptoms, how to cope etc - giving advice and support to people that have issues rather than paying overly much attention to Flack herself.

I don't see that as a bad thing. If the coverage you're seeing is just about Flack herself then switch over to something less trashy.
    It is well over the top on both of them by a country mile. You wouldhave to avoid all MSM not to be bombarded with it.
    I got a little of Schofield on R5. Bewildering. Other than that... Maybe I am not as up with the zeitgeist as I thought.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Seems the young ladies are anti the milk industry...and are against the fact he supported emergency financial support for dairy farmers, because of the falling price of milk.

I think a lot of his disciples are going to be rather confused by some of this stances on things if he becomes president.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,013

I'd be a bit wary of that as I vaguely recall evidence that students living at home and commuting are more likely to drop out, though I guess even if true, that things may be different for PhDs.
    She did her first degree 250 miles from home, and she's so motivated that I don't see it as a problem.
    Grandson 2 is 'considering his options' and, IMHO regrettably he's within easy reach of London. However, last I heard Cardiff was uppermost in his mind.
    Personally, although it was EVER such a long time ago I went 300 miles from home and it was one of the best things I ever did.
  • Options
    Six months ago I was assured that the nominee would almost certainly be one of Joe Biden, Beto O'Rourke, Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders.

It might yet be, of course, but such certainty looks ill-judged now.
  • Options

An adviser in the prime minister's office is on record as saying he thinks black people are on average born mentally inferior to white people - and not only does the man stay in Number 10 having not repudiated his published view, but the spokesman for a prime minister who has called black people "piccaninnies" (a word used in the Eurosceptic Enoch Powell's famous "blood" speech) refuses to say whether the prime himself minister agrees. Something is going very seriously wrong in this country. The balloon is up.

Fun times. But everyone knew what Johnson was when they voted for him. He has not ever attempted to hide his racism. He has been very open about it for a number of years.

• Options

I think it would be fair to say that Glen O'Hara isn't exactly a fan of the current government, and not much more of a fan of the alternatives:

https://publicpolicypast.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-crookedness-of-crooked.html

Hard to disagree with him, to be fair.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,013
    edited February 2020

An adviser in the prime minister's office is on record as saying he thinks black people are on average born mentally inferior to white people - and not only does the man stay in Number 10 having not repudiated his published view, but the spokesman for a prime minister who has called black people "piccaninnies" (a word used in the Eurosceptic Enoch Powell's famous "blood" speech) refuses to say whether the prime himself minister agrees. Something is going very seriously wrong in this country. The balloon is up.

I'm listening to 'How to Argue with a Racist, a BBC Sounds podcast, and the speaker makes the point that not only are there more genetic differences between African 'nations' than there are between European ones, but that, of course, all our ancestors were in Africa up to around 100,000 years ago.
  • Options

FFS, the eco-fascists tw@ts are back at it again..

Watch as Extinction Rebellion destroy prized Trinity College lawn in mass protest

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/watch-extinction-rebellion-destroy-prized-17761408

But its ok, the plod are going to do something...oh wait...no they aren't.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/extinction-rebellion-trinity-lawn-arrests-17761864

Shame about the lawn - and what is your view on use of fossil fuels, the removal of solar panel icentives and the pending end of electric car subsidies?
  • Options
    Interesting from Hong Kong on coronavirus:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/listen-facts-rumours-colin-cohen/?trackingId=PFH9y8pCPg/w8TXGmdjNWQ==

This is probably a bit too bullish, but talk of thre place closing down and everyone being in a blind panic is somewhat overdone. Our office there is still open, though peop ehave the option to work from home. Some do and some don't. Life is quieter, it seems, but is going on. Maybe that is a mistake, though.
  • Options

What's this about Schofield? Thought he was very much still with us.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Six months ago I was assured that the nominee would almost certainly be one of Joe Biden, Beto O'Rourke, Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders.

The market seems to have decided it won't be Elizabeth Warren. Given she's third in the notoriously hard to poll state of Nevada, and hasn't crumbled in national polling (She may also be suffering some differential non response bias) £9 at 80.0 looks a nice opportunity to level her up to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Sandpit said:

The only big thing the EPL has, the rights to the entire back catalogue of games. Already the likes of UFC have fight pass, which is obviously the current fights but also you can go back and watch anything from the past.

With a bit of creativity, I can imagine people quite enjoying say a personalized highlight reel of goals of the season (for their team) or a players best momemts over their career. This is all entirety do-able with technology which can auto-clip video highlights, extract goals etc.
    That’s a really good point about the back catalogue. Imagine being able to watch any PL match from the past 20 years at the click of a button, or replay the last half hour of the last day of the season, as everyone reacts to who wins the title (not this year, obviously!) and who is getting relegated. A huge amount of sport only ever gets watched once, live, yet there must be a long tail of demand among fans for things to watch in the summer and to replay key moments of a season.

Yes, AI should be really good at pulling together a highlights package from data, tell it to assemble video from shots on target, corners, cards, penalties, free kicks in opponents half etc. Instant highlights reel.
  • Options
    Ms. Henrietta, aye. Their tactics are despicable. And, if they want anything other than media attention, utterly counter-productive.

A smart person would co-ordinate a grassroots flood assistance scheme to help those on the ground. A cretin would dig up some grass and block ambulances.

People convinced of their own righteousness are often the most wretched.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Maybe someone should tell the rozzers one of the anarchists tweeted a transphobic poem.

They are not 'anarchists'

Extinction rebellion are by inclination Authoritarian,
  • Options
    Mr. Rich, self-absorbed disruption of other people's lives has an anarchic flavour.

You're right about them wanting to impose their religion on every heathen in the land, though.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The USP is this -

In recent years, ITV's coverage of sport has got increasingly competent while the BBC is getting increasingly like how ITV used to be. And Sky of course continues to be competent and well-informed, if a little boringly quirk-free. But the one thing BBC sport continues to have over its rivals is that its theme tunes are miles and miles and miles and miles better.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

It almost certainly is going to be one of those.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    BigRich said:

How to make friends and influence people, blocking emergency services from getting to people in need. Muppets.

Whatever happened to that water cannon that Boris Johnson bought when he was mayor of London?
  • Options

God you are boring in this. So you hate the BBC. Get a life.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

It almost certainly is going to be one of those.
    I take it you're laying the snot out of Klobuchar, Warren, Buttigieg, Bloomberg (I am :p) and Clinton (Definitely correct) then ?
  • Options

That si sick , they should have ran the morons over
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

The USP is this -

In recent years, ITV's coverage of sport has got increasingly competent while the BBC is getting increasingly like how ITV used to be. And Sky of course continues to be competent and well-informed, if a little boringly quirk-free. But the one thing BBC sport continues to have over its rivals is that its theme tunes are miles and miles and miles and miles better.
    Very true.

This one’s been around since the ‘80s, absolute classic association between a sport and a piece of music.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ChxX3tR4mD0
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Abolish interviews, personal statements and all that biased, time-consuming, labour-intensive, and subjective malarkey and then randomly assign applicants who pass the exams to places. It would take a few seconds on the Met Office's new computer from the last thread.

Yes. And in same spirit -

Get rid of grades for A levels. Just mark out of 100 and add them up.

So, entry requirement not 3 As in XYZ but (say) 250 aggregate points in XYZ with not less than 65 in any.

50 places available? Take the top 50 aggregate qualifying scores - after knocking off 25 points for private school applicants.

Simple. Clear. Cheap. Future proofed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What's this about Schofield? Thought he was very much still with us.
    He was all over the news for days all because the cowardly rat decided after being married for 27 years that he was homosexual. The outpourings about his bravery was pathetic.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Mr. Rich, self-absorbed disruption of other people's lives has an anarchic flavour.

You're right about them wanting to impose their religion on every heathen in the land, though.

Mr Dancer,

XR are very annoying people who's own actions undermine there own arguments.

however bringing disruption to other peoples lives maybe chaotic but is not anarchic.

Anarchic would be leaving people alone do do there own thing, at least according to my understanding of the word. I of course can not speak to how others perceive or miss-perceive the word.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,338
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/listen-facts-rumours-colin-cohen/?trackingId=PFH9y8pCPg/w8TXGmdjNWQ==

This is probably a bit too bullish, but talk of thre place closing down and everyone being in a blind panic is somewhat overdone. Our office there is still open, though peop ehave the option to work from home. Some do and some don't. Life is quieter, it seems, but is going on. Maybe that is a mistake, though.

Well, here's a sober analysis saying we really SHOULD take this seriously.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-02-12/yes-coronavirus-is-more-troubling-than-the-flu

It also makes the point that yes, fatality rates may be over-estimated, but they might also be UNDER-estimated. As the disease persists for a long time in unexpected ways. 71,000 people are now reported to have the virus, only 11,000 have "recovered".

And here's some alleged Wuhan doctors saying that sufferers can be RE-infected, and the second time around it is much more deadly.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876197

This would explain why that young, healthy, whistle-blowing doctor suddenly died.
    Bloody hell thanks. Jeez we really need to focus on this.

Do I have this correctly that fatality rates could be:

a) over-estimated; or
    b) under-estimated?

I think we all need to enter a period of reflection properly to digest this.
  • Options

Interesting quote in the medical link in that piece:

"So far this epidemic has infected 71,309 people and caused 1,775 deaths. In comparison so far in the USA this winter influenza has infected 22-31 million people and resulted in between 12,000 and 30,000 deaths."

A useful sense of perspective.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,691
    TOPPING said:

eadric said:

Well, here's a sober analysis saying we really SHOULD take this seriously.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-02-12/yes-coronavirus-is-more-troubling-than-the-flu

It also makes the point that yes, fatality rates may be over-estimated, but they might also be UNDER-estimated. As the disease persists for a long time in unexpected ways. 71,000 people are now reported to have the virus, only 11,000 have "recovered".

And here's some alleged Wuhan doctors saying that sufferers can be RE-infected, and the second time around it is much more deadly.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876197

This would explain why that young, healthy, whistle-blowing doctor suddenly died.
    Bloody hell thanks. Jeez we really need to focus on this.

Do I have this correctly that fatality rates could be:

a) over-estimated; or
    b) under-estimated?

I think we all need to enter a period of reflection properly to digest this.
    The Taiwan news "exclusive" is a rehash of a questionable story from a couple of weeks previously. The reinfection idea is both unlikely, and without any real evidence to support it in this case.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,338
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

"So far this epidemic has infected 71,309 people and caused 1,775 deaths. In comparison so far in the USA this winter influenza has infected 22-31 million people and resulted in between 12,000 and 30,000 deaths."

Flu is not going to infect 40-70% of the world, tho.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/harvard-professor-sounds-alarm-on-likely-coronavirus-pandemic-40-to-70-of-world-could-be-infected-this-year/

Harvard Professor or Hong Kong banker? Take yer pick.
    I'd sell at 40%.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,864

Research has found that stimulation of the brain centres responsible for fear and disgust causes a marked (temporary!) shift towards right-wing political positions. E.g. showing someone a video of wriggling maggots will lead them to express harsher views on border control.

Somebody once semi-seriously suggested that right-wing people had tapeworms: it would explain the visceral nature of politics. I don't believe it, but it is interesting... :)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I was just poking fun at my old profession.

The reality is that as a PM you get hired for two reasons: (1) you produce decent investment returns, and (2) you can talk plausibly about pretty much anything going on in the world economy, and can relate it to how incredibly well positioned the fund is.

My only advice for anyone investing money is this: most portfolio managers have a style bias. They may not know it themselves, but they will prefer tech stocks, or oil stocks, or growth stock, or emerging market exposed stocks, or whatever. When their style is in favour, they'll perform well. When their style goes out of favour, they'll perform poorly. The number of PMs who can spin on a sixpence, and hate social media stocks one meeting and love them the next is pretty small. And the number of investment committees that realise that the ability to change one's mind is an asset and not a liability is close to zero.

Yes. Faced with the choice between 2 Fund Managers both of whom are respected and have been around for a while.

Garry has had 3 good years in a row. Barry has had 3 mediocre years in a row.

I'm going with Baz.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,864

You are correct. One consistent complaint I make about modern-day politics is that it reflects the concerns of the comfortably-off metropolitan classes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,303

When I went they made a provisional offer depending on the A level results.
    If you got the resukts you were in, otherwise there was clearing.
    That is still the basic system. Some universities are making “unconditional“ offers on the condition that students accept them as their first and only choice rather than their reserve. This simplified things all round, but has a side effect of producing students who don’t do any work for a term...
    What kind of universities do that? Oxbridge? Russel Group? Former polys?
    In my day - admittedly decades back now - that used to be the case at Durham. If you put it first choice and were heading for good grades, you got in. Put Oxbridge first and Durham second or third, and they were a lot less keen. I guess it’s understandable that a uni with a good reputation like Durham was reluctant to end up stuffed with Oxbridge rejects like Exeter, but still.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I see someone has polled who will win Kansas in the general election. Thank goodness they didn't waste our time with a poll of the Democrat primary in Nevada or South Carolina.
  • Options
    When I went to an outdoor Democratic Party rally in Las Vegas back in 2016, there were also plenty of females taking centre stage, but none of them including Hilary Clinton went topless.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

The market seems to have decided it won't be Elizabeth Warren. Given she's third in the notoriously hard to poll state of Nevada, and hasn't crumbled in national polling (She may also be suffering some differential non response bias) £9 at 80.0 looks a nice opportunity to level her up to me.
    My Girl!

I feel the big Liz needs a hugely strong showing in Nevada to stay on the track.

She must be furious that Sanders has basically escaped the scrutiny that she got when she was favourite.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

The USP is this -

Very true.

This one’s been around since the ‘80s, absolute classic association between a sport and a piece of music.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ChxX3tR4mD0
    The greatest ever. Pity so many of the programs that followed were a let down.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Benchmark?
    The vast majority of managed funds are beating trackers recently simply because the biggest stocks have underperformed the market and are disproportionately held by trackers. It is not a good sign that managed funds are better than trackers, will outperform trackers in the long run or that your managers have any special talent.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/harvard-professor-sounds-alarm-on-likely-coronavirus-pandemic-40-to-70-of-world-could-be-infected-this-year/

The quotation comes from a medical doctor in HK that the banker links to. The professor is using a very simple model and arithmetic for which we don't have any useful inputs. He may be right of course but we just don't know.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,001
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

The quotation comes from a medical doctor in HK that the banker links to. The professor is using a very simple model and arithmetic for which we don't have any useful inputs. He may be right of course but we just don't know.
    Flu may not infect 40-70% of the world.

Covid19 isn't however a flu virus it's a Coronavirus like the common cold.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Oh yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Im_FnXiCHg

The Beeb is part of the glue which binds us, young and old, black and white, gay and straight, ignorami and cognescenti, together.

We lose it at our peril.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He was all over the news for days all because the cowardly rat decided after being married for 27 years that he was homosexual. The outpourings about his bravery was pathetic.

Ah that one. OK. Wonder what was deemed the most brave - the coming out or the being married for 27 years? :smile:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

How to make friends and influence people, blocking emergency services from getting to people in need. Muppets.

Whatever happened to that water cannon that Boris Johnson bought when he was mayor of London?
    Water Cannon - now there's Authoritarian!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well the perspective is the difference between a mortality rate of 2% and 0.1%
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306

When I went they made a provisional offer depending on the A level results.
    If you got the resukts you were in, otherwise there was clearing.
    That is still the basic system. Some universities are making “unconditional“ offers on the condition that students accept them as their first and only choice rather than their reserve. This simplified things all round, but has a side effect of producing students who don’t do any work for a term...
    What kind of universities do that? Oxbridge? Russel Group? Former polys?
    Mostly the last.

30 odd years ago Oxford had fourth term entry where you took three entrance papers and had a interview: if they liked you you got a two E offer.

They don’t do that any more.
    Actually in my experience it’s mostly research universities. This does include Russell Group, but by far the worst offenders are Lancaster.

I suspect it’s different in the Humanities from science.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kinabalu said:

The Beeb is part of the glue which binds us, young and old, black and white, gay and straight, ignorami and cognescenti, together.

We lose it at our peril.

Past its sell-by date, glue just goes off and becomes viscous.

(I think the grammar Stasi will be calling at your home shortly for ignorami. Flee for you life while you can).
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    On the subject of universities more generally - I have noticed no difference in the quality of the teaching between my undergraduate redbrick and my current ex-poly. If anything, in my experience, the ex-poly is better.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The USP is this -

There's a large element of sentimentality to theme tunes, especially to ones we associate with our childhood.

When I was at uni (2000-2003) I used to go every Thursday to a nightclub with an 80s theme. It would at one point play the theme tune to the The A-Team and Jim'll Fix It* and that always got an excited reaction more than any song.

Where I used to work there was a Sandwich van that went around at lunchtimes that like an ice-cream truck would play a song when it arrived. It was the song that Channel 4 used to use for their Cricket coverage.

Long after we've forgotten lyrics to a song from our childhood we can probably all remember our favourite theme tunes from when we were young. If I hear the theme tune to He-Man, or Captain Planet, or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, or Cheers or other stuff from then it will still now make me smile. And so too will hearing the themetune to MOTD or Grandstand or other stuff we grew up with.

Doesn't mean we need to keep broadcasting or watching Grandstand or MOTD etc anymore now. As has been recognised for one of them.

* You wouldn't do that nowadays!
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

Sure. The Hong Kong piece does read like a bit of hopeful whistling in the dark, but I can't blame Hong Kongers for that.

I guess the scary thing about CoronaV is how little we know, and how the predictions vary so wildly, so you get a Harvard Professor actively EXPECTING a huge global pandemic, and then you've got Trump saying the virus will be "killed by summer heat" (and he could be right!)

As you've noted before, the place to watch is Japan, over the next few weeks. If they can't contain it then I see no reason why it won't go everywhere (with a fatality rate we cannot yet determine).

They are certainly taking it seriously, cancelling imperial events and so on. The Olympics must be in peril, if it continues.
    They cancelled the Tokyo marathon today. If this continues for another couple of months the Olympics are gone.
  • Options

Past its sell-by date, glue just goes off and becomes viscous.

(I think the grammar Stasi will be calling at your home shortly for ignorami. Flee for you life while you can).

OK, good point. The "ties" (that bind) then. Also a Springsteen song, which is always nice to work in.

Ignorami?

No, I'm solid on this. It's a deliberate bespoke and special word that I've invented. It gets over the idea of a lumpen mass of ignoramuses. The Ignorami.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Well the perspective is the difference between a mortality rate of 2% and 0.1%
    But the 2% is almost certainly too high. We simply don’t know how many minor cases there have been that have been self medicated or even asymptotic.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

Water Cannon - now there's Authoritarian!
    It’s less authoritarian than having the army use the muppets for target practice!

I’m usually a libertarian kind of guy, but draw the line when people block the road for ambulances.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    This is really interesting insight into America's infrastructure...

America’s infrastructure is in desperate need of more than $4 trillion in upgrades and improvements. President Trump campaigned heavily on overhauling the country's crumbling infrastructure and promised to invest big to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdvJSGc14xA
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

Sure. The Hong Kong piece does read like a bit of hopeful whistling in the dark, but I can't blame Hong Kongers for that.

I guess the scary thing about CoronaV is how little we know, and how the predictions vary so wildly, so you get a Harvard Professor actively EXPECTING a huge global pandemic, and then you've got Trump saying the virus will be "killed by summer heat" (and he could be right!)

As you've noted before, the place to watch is Japan, over the next few weeks. If they can't contain it then I see no reason why it won't go everywhere (with a fatality rate we cannot yet determine).

They are certainly taking it seriously, cancelling imperial events and so on. The Olympics must be in peril, if it continues.
    They cancelled the Tokyo marathon today. If this continues for another couple of months the Olympics are gone.
    Yes. So sad. But just abut the worst thing you could do, in the middle of an epidemic, is hold The Olympic Games, inviting thousands of athletes and millions of tourists from all over the world, so they can catch the bug and take it home.

The organisers must be living in dread. Massive blow to the Japanese economy, too. Dangerous times....
    Which is already in a fairly deep recession.
  • Options
  • Options
    @FrancisUrquhart I wonder, and I’m being lazy by not Googling, but was America’s existing infrastructure built with public or private money?
  • Options

On the subject of universities more generally - I have noticed no difference in the quality of the teaching between my undergraduate redbrick and my current ex-poly. If anything, in my experience, the ex-poly is better.

That doesn’t surprise me. In ex polys, staff are hired because they can teach and that is the main focus of their role. If they don’t get it right, they’re out.

In a Russell Group, they are hired to research and teaching is a nuisance activity they sometimes do to show off how brilliant they are. If they can’t farm it out to PhD students on £10 an hour, that is.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,648

kinabalu said:

#thosewerethedays
    Student self-catering = spag bol
    Sophisticated student cooking = spag bol and a bottle of wine
    Michelin-starred student cooking = call the spag bol lasagne
    Student wine drinking: We would choose the bottle with the best price to alcohol content ratio. Usually German. Sometimes consumed directly from the bottle.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

@FrancisUrquhart I wonder, and I’m being lazy by not Googling, but was America’s existing infrastructure built with public or private money?

I don't know the ratio, but the full gamut of public, private and public / private.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

A mixture. Depends a bit on when and where it was built.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Oh yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Im_FnXiCHg

We lose it at our peril.
    But it doesn't. The old watched MOTD and Grandstand etc and they liked it, they remember it fondly.

Time has already moved on. This tune still makes me smile but the PJ Masks tune means more to my daughters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHMxFGqhIs

The young don't watch the BBC that much. So how can it bind us, if we don't watch it? The binds have been broken already. You wishing and trying to force the Beeb on the young won't change us or magically make us abandon better service providers for antiquated shit ones.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Owned by Adonis? Bloody hell. That’s almost as embarrassing as being owned by Burley.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,039
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

That doesn’t surprise me. In ex polys, staff are hired because they can teach and that is the main focus of their role. If they don’t get it right, they’re out.

In a Russell Group, they are hired to research and teaching is a nuisance activity they sometimes do to show off how brilliant they are. If they can’t farm it out to PhD students on £10 an hour, that is.
    If you have got into a Russell Group university you should really be able to research and teach yourself, you are paying for seminars and lectures from experts in their field not to be spoon fed
  • Options

There's a large element of sentimentality to theme tunes, especially to ones we associate with our childhood.

When I was at uni (2000-2003) I used to go every Thursday to a nightclub with an 80s theme. It would at one point play the theme tune to the The A-Team and Jim'll Fix It* and that always got an excited reaction more than any song.

Where I used to work there was a Sandwich van that went around at lunchtimes that like an ice-cream truck would play a song when it arrived. It was the song that Channel 4 used to use for their Cricket coverage.

Long after we've forgotten lyrics to a song from our childhood we can probably all remember our favourite theme tunes from when we were young. If I hear the theme tune to He-Man, or Captain Planet, or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, or Cheers or other stuff from then it will still now make me smile. And so too will hearing the themetune to MOTD or Grandstand or other stuff we grew up with.

Doesn't mean we need to keep broadcasting or watching Grandstand or MOTD etc anymore now. As has been recognised for one of them.

* You wouldn't do that nowadays!

Yes you're right. It's all nostalgia. Much of it pleasant but with exceptions such as one you mention. Good tune though -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCP_xu18k8
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Aren't Netflix bringing back He-man? Not sure how well that will go down with the woke brigade.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I can't help feeling that if Buttigieg and Klobuchar don't come to an understanding soon it will be too late for both of them.
This discussion has been closed.