Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Jeremy Hunt might be onto a loser in his fight with the

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

A surprisingly simplistic thread. Do we think the public blame politicians for the much poorer health outcomes at weekends? Do we think the public will blame politician for trying to do something to remedy those poor outcomes?

Do we think the public will blame politicians for their top down re-organisation of the NHS that created the CCGs that have got us in this mess?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited November 2015

FPT Whomever said this originally, CLAPS

''Labour do seem to project the notion that, as long as they give Labour their votes, Muslims can pretty much do what they want - and Labour will let them get on with it. From cousin marriages to FGM to hate preaching to corrupt election practices to industrial-scale rape of the young, Labour has been woefully quiet. ''
    T'was I...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Omnium said:

My own personal views on this list are;

Doctors - they don't know
    Teachers - they especially don't know
    Scientists - they don't know, and should keep quiet
    Judges - they officially don't know
    Clergy - they think they know but they don't
    TV news - always the first not to know
    Police - they should find out
    Man in the street - they like not to know
    Civil servants - knowing is no part of the remit
    Pollsters - they know they don't know
    NHS managers - they don't care that they don't know
    Trade Union types - they celebrate the fact that they don't know
    Business leaders - they're keen to keep quiet about not knowing
    Bankers - they know, but for a percentage they'll look the other way
    Journos - being the first to not know is the key
    Estate agents - shoot on sight
    Ministers - being seen to not know is the only peril
    Politicians - don't know, but will tell you they do

A good list.

Shouldn't there be another question in the poll?

What I read on the Internet
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited November 2015

@Omnium - Very good!

So who actually knows? :D

Edit - bankers? Who'd have thunk it.
  • Options
    Well Jezza is certainly doing his best today to live up to the hyperbole of some of the Daily Mail stories about him.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I spend time elsewhere discussing TV shows - one thread poster is very comprehensive in her argument = to the point where she answers most of the possible points she raises.

Posing a well argued singular POV succinctly offers the best thread header. It offers a debating starting point, that doesn't attempt to negate all others.

antifrank said:

Blimey, antifrank, you've taken SeanT's chiding to heart.

Actually, I'd drafted this before the other one went up. Mike has shortened it further (and made it better). I do try to take heed of constructive criticism.
    I do like short posts to the point or just posting a chart where the message is very clear.
  • Options
    RobD said:

@Omnium - Very good!

PB Tories.

Is why we're always right and have nothing more to learn.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2015
    RobD said:

@Omnium - Very good!

Dan Hodges :D
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2015
    MailOnline reporter bought an IDENTICAL Syrian passport that ISIS bomber used to sneak into Europe before Paris attacks

A MailOnline reporter was able to buy a Syrian passport, identity card and driving licence from a fraudster in a Turkish border town in September this year.

The passport book was genuine, stolen from Syria when blank. The forger added the reporter's picture and gave him the identity of a Syrian man from Aleppo who was killed last year.

The other papers – the identity card and the driving licence – supported the false identity and gave credibility to a claim for asylum in Europe.

The documents were bought for $2,000 and were ready in just four days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3320356/Fake-Syrian-passport-used-MailOnline-shocking-frailty-migrant-registration-used-suspected-Paris-terrorist-travel-Europe.html
  • Options
    Alistair said:

A surprisingly simplistic thread. Do we think the public blame politicians for the much poorer health outcomes at weekends? Do we think the public will blame politician for trying to do something to remedy those poor outcomes?

Do we think the public will blame politicians for their top down re-organisation of the NHS that created the CCGs that have got us in this mess?
    Well they didn't in May....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Incidentally, I have a theory that Corbyn will be overwhelmed by indecision on all important issues. Events, not his curious views, will overwhelm him, and, if they're not careful, Labour too.

Probably a thread header in it.

I have been thinking about exactly this point in the last few days. Jeremy Corbyn doesn't seem to be a quick thinker in an age that requires ever quicker reactions and he is anxious to be true to himself. So he looks to come out with forms of words that he can live with but which satisfy no one.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I've had PMs on here in the past but no longer appear to have access to it, can anybody help please? TIA
  • Options

RobD said:

@Omnium - Very good!

PB Tories.

How the bloody hell did I miss that opportunity? I'll never live it down :(
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,999
    @nick I've signed up for your forum. Your party looks an interesting one, though the road ahead will most likely be long and winding !
  • Options
    Mr. Nick, you may also wish to consider the triangle of Oxfordshire [I think] where the majority of F1 teams are based. Not only are the F1 teams there, there are thousands employed in supplying components. A strong tech party could perhaps get a fairer hearing there than elsewhere. [The teams are all close enough that an engineer moving from one to another can often avoid moving house or his/her kids to a new school].

I'd agree on party structure. Labour is wide open to entryism, as we've seen, and the Lib Dems' tuition fees woe was caused by a pledge Clegg never wanted and which was forced upon him by a vote of members.

However, the Conservatives do have an easier time of regicide, within the rules (hence Hague's quote, of it being an absolute monarchy moderated by regicide), so I think that's something you should also include, otherwise you run the risk of a Faragian personality cult.
  • Options

I've had PMs on here in the past but no longer appear to have access to it, can anybody help please? TIA

Click on your name and your inbox shall appear at the top of the page
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    @Omnium

Winning punters know what they don't know and avoid betting on it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: French president Francois Hollande says he wants new UN Security Council resolution to help 'destroy Daesh'

Where does Jez stand on this "hypothetical question" ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

@Omnium - Very good!

PB Tories.

How the bloody hell did I miss that opportunity? I'll never live it down :(
    You didn't miss it. You were merely providing me with the opportunity for the rimshot
  • Options

MailOnline reporter bought an IDENTICAL Syrian passport that ISIS bomber used to sneak into Europe before Paris attacks

A MailOnline reporter was able to buy a Syrian passport, identity card and driving licence from a fraudster in a Turkish border town in September this year.

The passport book was genuine, stolen from Syria when blank. The forger added the reporter's picture and gave him the identity of a Syrian man from Aleppo who was killed last year.

The other papers – the identity card and the driving licence – supported the false identity and gave credibility to a claim for asylum in Europe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3320356/Fake-Syrian-passport-used-MailOnline-shocking-frailty-migrant-registration-used-suspected-Paris-terrorist-travel-Europe.html

Looks like they aren't employing the services of a certain Monsieur LeClerc!
  • Options
    philiph said:

Hunt wins in any case.

The Drs will be damaged by strikes.
    The public would like better weekend outcomes and seven day NHS

The battle may be won by Drs, but the long term position they have will be diminished. Thus Hunt wins (it may be a pyrrhic victory).

I think what the public would want is to have as good a treatment and outcome on sat and sun as the rest of the week. It is possible today to run outpatients clinics on weekends, I've been to them, but if you are taken ill on Sunday you might hope for the same treatment as on a Monday.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Would Alistair Campbell allowed questions on live TV on manhole covers being put to a Labour leader?
  • Options
    France "is at war" after Friday's attacks on Paris, President Francois Hollande has told a rare joint sitting of both houses of parliament.

He said France was committed to "not just containing, but destroying" the so-called Islamic State (IS) group.

He said he would meet the presidents of the US and Russia in the coming days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34836439
  • Options
    nicknick Posts: 14
    Pulpstar said:

@nick I've signed up for your forum. Your party looks an interesting one, though the road ahead will most likely be long and winding !

Thanks Pulpstar. The forum's been a bit quiet recently, so I'm trying to breath some new life into it. Feel free to start comment threads (and message the step_admin user if you need any help).
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Would Alistair Campbell allowed questions on live TV on manhole covers being put to a Labour leader?

He would have begged for it if it stopped a Labour leader saying he might never authorise force
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2015
    I wonder what Corbyn thinks of Hollande's language on the Paris attacks. Maybe a bit "aggressive" for him.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Thanks TSE, I was reminded of something I'd been sent earlier in the year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901459/jesuisCharlie-world-s-cartoonists-react-Paris-massacre-poignant-drawings.html

Incidentally whatever happened to Marf?
  • Options
    I spent 5 weekends trapped in my local DGH because there were no consultants available to tell me if the life threatening condition my GP thought I'd experienced, was true.

That's 20 days of my life spent inc A&E waiting despite Friday night urgent faxes saying I was about to drop dead, days of being bored stiff in bed then discharged on a Tuesday morning when the roster caught up with me.

Nothing happened over the weekend. Nothing bar being tested for my blood pressure. A total waste of time for everyone involved.

The issue I really don't understand here is that the main reason for the disparity of outcomes for patients treated at weekends is largely due to the absence of consultants. In simple terms, it's the time when the junior doctors are in control. They're already working weekends (as the 'I'm in work, Jeremy' campaign on Twitter sought to point out). If you want a better service at weekends you need to get the consultants in, not fiddle around with junior doctors' contracts.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    antifrank said:

Mortimer said:

Incidentally, I have a theory that Corbyn will be overwhelmed by indecision on all important issues. Events, not his curious views, will overwhelm him, and, if they're not careful, Labour too.

I have been thinking about exactly this point in the last few days. Jeremy Corbyn doesn't seem to be a quick thinker in an age that requires ever quicker reactions and he is anxious to be true to himself. So he looks to come out with forms of words that he can live with but which satisfy no one.
    Glad to hear I'm not alone with my musings.

As a Tory activist, although I found it frankly hilarious that Labour elected him in the first place, the way in which he motivated people on the left of the spectrum had begun to worry me slightly.

But so far he has proved to be not only going against majority public opinion on most issues, but just not up to the pretty straightforward job of responding to events and, where necessary, holding the government to account.

Would be interested if you think his strong activist/weak Parliamentary support base dynamic means:

a) the growth of a third party - perhaps even a splinter party from Labour itself
    b) the dominance of the Tories whilst he stays in post
    c) his overthrow

are more likely....

I'm thinking the order goes something like

b, a, c

at the moment....

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Alistair said:

Do we think the public, beyond the usual politically motivated, care in the slightest about arguments of 'top down reorganisations', or have any real awareness of them?

People notice the service they receive.

Current NHS satisfaction levels are close to at an all time high at a time when some are trying to tell everyone it's like down town Baghdad out there.

The government should simply abolish most statistics (and the vast army of bureaucrats and bean counters associated with them) and draw conclusions purely from public satisfaction levels with service levels.

Were you seen quickly?
    Were you happy with your treatment?
    Was your problem resolved?

And so on.

It is a service. It is there to serve the people, not provide political types with numbers to play games with.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    nick said:

Mr. Nick, agree on the need for technology, science and maths to be at the heart of education and the economy. There's also, as you indicate, a lot of room for a new party to make great headway in the current political climate.

Thanks, I'm glad you think so :smile:

Your problems will likely be more on the political rather than the policy side. UKIP have been serially incompetent at General Elections, going for a wide and shallow approach. I'd advise you to focus on a very small number of seats and try to win them rather than spread yourselves thin and wide, and get more votes but no seats.

I've been thinking the same thing. The Lib Dems approach of concentrating on the south west seemed to work for them. Perhaps university towns would be good candidates. Places with science/tech hubs too. I keep thinking of Cambridge.

You also need to decide on leadership structure, and your social approach. If you put together a liberal approach towards civil liberties and free speech with a focus on technology and science, that would be quite appealing.

Regarding civil liberties and free speech, I think this is what we've done. Our site says: We would rather live in a forward looking, free society of well educated, free thinkers than a surveillance state where hateful religious dogma goes unchallenged.

Regarding leadership structure (and the party's constitution generally), we have not done anything yet. I've noticed that the Greens, UKIP and now Labour have all had issues caused by their organisational structure. I'm tempted to borrow heavily from the Tories who historically seem to have evolved something that's very good at getting power. Do you have any ideas on this front?
    Thanks for your post - very interesting, although I don't see the future situation being as bleak as that paper outlines.

A few points:

1) Although I'm rabidly against electronic voting for elections (see discussions passim), any party such as yours should perhaps consider a flatter leadership structure, with fast, reactive discussions, information dissemination and policy setting over t'Internet.

2) The issue you might have with tech and science cities such as Cambridge is that they can be left-wing and/or liberal. Knowing a few friends of mine who could be classed as scientists, there leftist views probably means more to them than their love of science and technology.

3) As an agnostic, I'm not sure the 'hateful religious dogma' but works. I'm all for a secular state, but I also know that many people practice religion in ways which cause no problems. I'd tone that line down.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: French president Francois Hollande says he wants new UN Security Council resolution to help 'destroy Daesh'

Where does Jez stand on this "hypothetical question" ?

I always think Daesh sounds like something out of Deep Space Nine.
  • Options
    @weddady: F Hollande proposes to strip citizenship from convicted terrorists even if born French if person has another citizenship #ParisAttacks
  • Options
    My Little Pony politics 0_o
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Jeremy Corbyn refuses to say if he would ever back military action against extremists, told me repeatedly that's a 'hypothetical question'

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Alistair said:

It is unclear to me how the replacement of PCTs with CCGs has caused the problem of a lack of medical staff at weekends. A problem which from personal experience goes back many years. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

As for the current dispute with the Junior Doctors over changing their terms and conditions, this looks remarkably like an old fashioned trade dispute straight out of the 1970s. Management wish, for whatever reason, to change work practices and the union kick up a fuss refuse but actually just wants lots more money for its members. Even the language being deployed is so redolent of that used by the trade unions at British Leyland, and other now defunct concerns.
  • Options
    The big question here isn't really what Jezza doesn't do, or Cameron wants to do, it is what will Obama do...not exactly known for decisive action when it comes to foreign policy. His red lines on Assad and all that.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    @RN, philliph, robd

It rather begs the question as to who you trust.
  • Options
    We haven't had enough about Scottish independence recently. Here's a trenchant attack on the SNP's handling of the politics of the independence debate:

http://rattle.scot/snp-independence-is-dead-start-again-or-shut-up

What makes it interesting is the identity of its author, who was Alex Salmond's former head of policy.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Jeremy Hunt believes that what he is doing is for the long term benefit of patients. He should say so frequently. The BMA is acting like an old style union.
  • Options

Mr. Nick, you may also wish to consider the triangle of Oxfordshire [I think] where the majority of F1 teams are based. Not only are the F1 teams there, there are thousands employed in supplying components. A strong tech party could perhaps get a fairer hearing there than elsewhere. [The teams are all close enough that an engineer moving from one to another can often avoid moving house or his/her kids to a new school].

Thanks, I'll remember that.

I'd agree on party structure. Labour is wide open to entryism, as we've seen, and the Lib Dems' tuition fees woe was caused by a pledge Clegg never wanted and which was forced upon him by a vote of members.

However, the Conservatives do have an easier time of regicide, within the rules (hence Hague's quote, of it being an absolute monarchy moderated by regicide), so I think that's something you should also include, otherwise you run the risk of a Faragian personality cult.

Yes, it seems tricky to get the balance right. If the party's MPs think the current leader is damaging their chances, it's in the party's interests to get rid of him. As long as this isn't done too easily this seems much better than a leader who's impossible to remove.
  • Options
    Oh God

MP David Nuttall Says Giving 16- And 17-Year-Olds Voting Rights Will Make Them Sex Abuse Targets

http://bit.ly/1MxldqT
  • Options

My Little Pony politics 0_o

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Jeremy Corbyn refuses to say if he would ever back military action against extremists, told me repeatedly that's a 'hypothetical question'

It's ok. He's a hypothetical Prime Minister.
  • Options

I hope you are not suggesting that the same people who run F1 should get involved on real politics!!?

My own view is this idea is a non starter and possibly even bogus. Take a look at the scientists who stretch the truth to justify their global warming grants and their plots against people who disagree with them. Why should I assume technocrats and scientists and educationalists know better or are intrinsically better suited to government.
    Plus the basic premise of large job losses due to technology seems somewhat self servingly fanciful.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    antifrank said:

Mortimer said:

Not so much that he isn't a quick thinker. He shows no evidence of the prior calculation needed of a Leader of the Opposition. In fact, the leader of a parish council. He may be staying true to himself, but to put out a statement that appears to treat equally all the dead of the Paris Friday 13th Massacres - victims and killers - is just not consistent with somebody who has thought out the political consequences of his actions.

Questioning the legality of vaporising Jihadi John probably puts him in 1% of the population. The 1% that includes the profoundly misguided, the pathetically naive, traitors and supporters of IS. That Rainbow Alliance ain't going to get him many Labour MPs elected.
  • Options
    Is Jezza a Talking Heads fan when it comes to buying his jackets?

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1920x1920/a_c/Byrne3_1.jpg
    dr_spyn said:

Cue for I was misquoted.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/666261434498736129

I would love to know how Jezza thinks that the unity of The Syrian people will prevail. Given the depth of the religious, secular, & political differences in the country I'm damned if I understand how this bloody mess will be ended by talks. I have my doubts that Cameron has much idea about who could be let alone should be ruling in Damascus. But Corbyn needs to start leaving his comfort zone behind.

• Options
    antifrank said:

We haven't had enough about Scottish independence recently. Here's a trenchant attack on the SNP's handling of the politics of the independence debate:

http://rattle.scot/snp-independence-is-dead-start-again-or-shut-up

What makes it interesting is the identity of its author, who was Alex Salmond's former head of policy.

It is a fascinating piece. Predictably the zoomers have responded by complaining about 'the Vow'...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,386

That does not surprise me at all. And the finding of that Syrian passport was more than just a little bit convenient. ISIS apparently don't like the fact that sane people have been allowed to run away from their psychopathic insanity and find sanctuary elsewhere. I think we are being played here.
  • Options
    Mr. Flightpath, one might argue the political shenanigans in F1 display rather more competence than those in Westminster :p
  • Options
    Dave Allen is sorely missed. Would he ever get a BBC show these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXenjpefNU
    AndyJS said:

Odd that clergy/priests are still so trusted when hardly anyone uses their services these days.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Oh God

MP David Nuttall Says Giving 16- And 17-Year-Olds Voting Rights Will Make Them Sex Abuse Targets

http://bit.ly/1MxldqT

Actually his point was sound if poorly expressed. Once they have adult rights they ain't children. Oops - something the liberal left forgot to think of.
  • Options
    Teresa May is so professional and committed and deserves wide scale support as she does everything possible to keep us safe. It is at the present time one of the most, if not the most, important position in government today
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

dr_spyn said:

Cue for I was misquoted.

(snip)
    I would love to know how Jezza thinks that the unity of The Syrian people will prevail. Given the depth of the religious, secular, & political differences in the country I'm damned if I understand how this bloody mess will be ended by talks. I have my doubts that Cameron has much idea about who could be let alone should be ruling in Damascus. But Corbyn needs to start leaving his comfort zone behind.

Considering the conflict started in a civil war, the will of the 'Syrian people' - even if many of the fighters are foreign forces for AlN and ISIS - is probably hard to reconcile.

Yesterday Hilary Benn was calling for peace talks. If that's Labour's position, it'll be interesting to know who they expect to take part in the talks, considering that two of the major combatannts - al Nusra and ISIS - are probably not people who are willing to talk. Or if they are, their demands might well be untenable.

For the others: the Syrian regime, the remnants of the FSA, the Kurds, and the other disparate groups - it might be possible to have talks. But that leaves a fast number of combatants and territory outside the talks.
    Al Nusra and ISIS are terrorist organisations. They don't get to talk, they get to die, then the other combatants talk.

As to the will of the Syrian people, they have been polled, and Assad got a thumping majority.
    You mean the elections in 2012, during the civil war? Or the presidential election in 2014, which many see as being illegitimate? Neither of which took place in large parts of the 'state' Ones where hundreds of thousands of the refugees outside the country were barred from voting?

Or ones pre-2012, when there was essentially a one-party state?

Of all the arguments you use wrt Assad, the 'democracy' one is perhaps the silliest.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I think Antifrank is being a little disingenuous with his statistics, veering well into 'damned lies' territory.

The question asked is about trust in general, and we all answer in context We trust doctors to tell us the truth when we speak to them, and for most of us, that is when we are seeking their advice on our medical condition. Not when we are asking them if they are working too long or getting paid too little.

I'd like to see a straight question asked: how much do you trust doctors when they speak about their pay vs how much do you trust Jeremy Hunt talking about doctors' pay. I would expect doctors to still win that head to head, but by nowhere near the 90/19 split above.

Ask the question 'does the NHS wage bill need to be brought under control?' and it will be even less favorable to doctors.
  • Options
    And of course if we didn't have Teresa May Andy Burnham would ride to the rescue, God help us
  • Options

Teresa May is so professional and committed and deserves wide scale support as she does everything possible to keep us safe. It is at the present time one of the most, if not the most, important position in government today

Teresa May is a porn star.

Theresa May is the Home Secretary.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That does not surprise me at all. And the finding of that Syrian passport was more than just a little bit convenient. ISIS apparently don't like the fact that sane people have been allowed to run away from their psychopathic insanity and find sanctuary elsewhere. I think we are being played here.
    Even at the risk of having to buy a tin foil hat, I have to ask, in what way do you think we are being played and by whom?
  • Options
    Welcome to PB, Mr @nick
    nick said:

Hi everyone. I've been regularly lurking on this forum for years, but thought I'd create an account so I could tell you about something I've been working on for much of this year. I hope you don't mind if it's a bit off topic.

Over half the UK population is now non-religious and a similar number thinks religion does more harm than good. I think that number has probably increased as a result of the terrible attacks in Paris.

At the same time technology and automation is on the verge of making huge swathes (35% according to a recent study) of the population unemployed. Many people will clearly need to reskill and yet none of the political parties appear to have grasped that reskilling huge numbers of people is going to be a huge challenge.

With Labour veering to the left and the Lib Dems still reeling from the election, I think there is currently an opportunity for a new kind of political party which promotes a scientific and rational worldview. I call this the Science, Technology & Education Party (or "STEP"), and while we're not registered yet we aim to become so soon. We have a website here along with a forum and Twitter account.

So what do you guys think? It's obviously ambitious, but I think there are people out there that this will resonate with. We're looking for key people right now, and I'm hoping some of them might be reading this. If you're interested please come and join us on the forum.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    I see France going all out against ISIS now. While good ole Jeremy is going about talking absolute rubbish. Its clear he would never use military force, and his political judgement and timing has been downright awful. The blokes beginning to make my blood boil. Labour need to get rid. And fast.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Cue for I was misquoted.

(snip)

Considering the conflict started in a civil war, the will of the 'Syrian people' - even if many of the fighters are foreign forces for AlN and ISIS - is probably hard to reconcile.

Yesterday Hilary Benn was calling for peace talks. If that's Labour's position, it'll be interesting to know who they expect to take part in the talks, considering that two of the major combatannts - al Nusra and ISIS - are probably not people who are willing to talk. Or if they are, their demands might well be untenable.

For the others: the Syrian regime, the remnants of the FSA, the Kurds, and the other disparate groups - it might be possible to have talks. But that leaves a fast number of combatants and territory outside the talks.
    Al Nusra and ISIS are terrorist organisations. They don't get to talk, they get to die, then the other combatants talk.

As to the will of the Syrian people, they have been polled, and Assad got a thumping majority.

Yes: "Assad captures another seven-year term after winning almost 90% of the vote, with polling only held in government-held areas"
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    May and Burnham trotting out the 'nothing to do with islam' line...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    As expected, Hollande is no left wing patsy.

But as expected, Jezza is.
  • Options
    At last! As a long term lurker and very occasional commenter on this site, this is exactly the way I think things should go. Evidence based decisions free of tiresome and blinkered left-right-religious slanted preconceived positions. Almost assured my vote. Bring it on.
    nick said:

Hi everyone. I've been regularly lurking on this forum for years, but thought I'd create an account so I could tell you about something I've been working on for much of this year. I hope you don't mind if it's a bit off topic.

Over half the UK population is now non-religious and a similar number thinks religion does more harm than good. I think that number has probably increased as a result of the terrible attacks in Paris.

At the same time technology and automation is on the verge of making huge swathes (35% according to a recent study) of the population unemployed. Many people will clearly need to reskill and yet none of the political parties appear to have grasped that reskilling huge numbers of people is going to be a huge challenge.

With Labour veering to the left and the Lib Dems still reeling from the election, I think there is currently an opportunity for a new kind of political party which promotes a scientific and rational worldview. I call this the Science, Technology & Education Party (or "STEP"), and while we're not registered yet we aim to become so soon. We have a website here along with a forum and Twitter account.

So what do you guys think? It's obviously ambitious, but I think there are people out there that this will resonate with. We're looking for key people right now, and I'm hoping some of them might be reading this. If you're interested please come and join us on the forum.

• Options
    :smiley:
    Omnium said:

My own personal views on this list are;

Doctors - they don't know
    Teachers - they especially don't know
    Scientists - they don't know, and should keep quiet
    Judges - they officially don't know
    Clergy - they think they know but they don't
    TV news - always the first not to know
    Police - they should find out
    Man in the street - they like not to know
    Civil servants - knowing is no part of the remit
    Pollsters - they know they don't know
    NHS managers - they don't care that they don't know
    Trade Union types - they celebrate the fact that they don't know
    Business leaders - they're keen to keep quiet about not knowing
    Bankers - they know, but for a percentage they'll look the other way
    Journos - being the first to not know is the key
    Estate agents - shoot on sight
    Ministers - being seen to not know is the only peril
    Politicians - don't know, but will tell you they do

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    @LauraK:

Corbyn also said he'd be unhappy about shoot to kill policy on British streets - priority has to be finding political solution for Syria
    3:53 PM - 16 Nov 2015

36 36 Retweets

Wow!!!!! Alice in Labourland!!!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

In France, there is no God, there is no King, there is only 'Country'.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Even at the risk of having to buy a tin foil hat, I have to ask, in what way do you think we are being played and by whom?
    I think that we were supposed to find that passport and make the lives of Syrian refugees far more difficult as a result. It will probably work too. Just because these people are savages it does not mean they are stupid. Indeed they have made excellent use of social media and the internet generally.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2015

Dave Allen is sorely missed. Would he ever get a BBC show these days?

AndyJS said:

Odd that clergy/priests are still so trusted when hardly anyone uses their services these days.

Nope. Not allowed to smoke in a studio now.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    felix said:

@LauraK:

Corbyn also said he'd be unhappy about shoot to kill policy on British streets - priority has to be finding political solution for Syria

36 36 Retweets

So Jeremy, would our police maybe be allowed to inflict a nasty Chinese Burn on an ISIS gunman with suicide belts, grenades and an AK47, working his way up Oxford Street? Or maybe give them a dead-leg? Would they be able to deploy the ultimate deterrent - the use of harsh words?

Edit: can we still say Chinese Burn? Maybe now an Oriental Abrasion?
  • Options

In fairness a certain type of Tory is going to find the overlap between a female authoritarian/disciplinarian Home Secretary and a porn star quite large!
  • Options

I'm not sure I'd want to confuse the two.
  • Options
    :love:
    Scott_P said:

@weddady: F Hollande proposes to strip citizenship from convicted terrorists even if born French if person has another citizenship #ParisAttacks

• Options

nick said:

You also need to decide on leadership structure, and your social approach. If you put together a liberal approach towards civil liberties and free speech with a focus on technology and science, that would be quite appealing.

Regarding civil liberties and free speech, I think this is what we've done. Our site says: We would rather live in a forward looking, free society of well educated, free thinkers than a surveillance state where hateful religious dogma goes unchallenged.

Regarding leadership structure (and the party's constitution generally), we have not done anything yet. I've noticed that the Greens, UKIP and now Labour have all had issues caused by their organisational structure. I'm tempted to borrow heavily from the Tories who historically seem to have evolved something that's very good at getting power. Do you have any ideas on this front?
    Thanks for your post - very interesting, although I don't see the future situation being as bleak as that paper outlines.

A few points:

1) Although I'm rabidly against electronic voting for elections (see discussions passim), any party such as yours should perhaps consider a flatter leadership structure, with fast, reactive discussions, information dissemination and policy setting over t'Internet.

Yes, the website and forum should clearly play an important role in the running of the party. I wonder if there's something I can adapt or whether we need to roll our own.

2) The issue you might have with tech and science cities such as Cambridge is that they can be left-wing and/or liberal. Knowing a few friends of mine who could be classed as scientists, there leftist views probably means more to them than their love of science and technology.

I have a tech background and know lots of people from the same background and a few scientists. Many of them are left wing, but there are also many who are socially liberal and economically centrist. This latter group would be a good match I think.

3) As an agnostic, I'm not sure the 'hateful religious dogma' but works. I'm all for a secular state, but I also know that many people practice religion in ways which cause no problems. I'd tone that line down.

Originally I thought the same, and was less critical of religion on the site. At the moment though, when I'm trying to attract core members, I think it's appropriate, especially with current events being as they are.
  • Options

I see France going all out against ISIS now. While good ole Jeremy is going about talking absolute rubbish. Its clear he would never use military force, and his political judgement and timing has been downright awful. The blokes beginning to make my blood boil. Labour need to get rid. And fast.

I'm glad to see Hollande gets it. This could be incredibly damaging for Labour. They are already seen as being on the wrong side of public opinion in 3 key areas - austerity, immigration and welfare. They can hardly afford to add a 4th to the list - national security

The Reagan ad from the 80s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_in_the_woods shows how being seen as weak on national security can be very damaging indeed
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

Which might be why the Frogs have been thumped in every war they have fought for the last two hundred and odd years (and a not a few before that).
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Economically Holland's socialism was exposed as useless from the start of his term. But there has been little difference in French interventionist foreign policy from one government to the next.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

But we could be overthinking this - it might also be an opportunity for them to smuggle far more of their fighters into Europe and accelerate (their presumed goal of) the islamification of Europe.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    Not exactly the weirdest thing a politician has said today, though, Mike....
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

Which might be why the Frogs have been thumped in every war they have fought for the last two hundred and odd years (and a not a few before that).
    The most recent conflict against a similiar opponent to IS (Northern Mali) was a victory for the French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_involving_France_in_modern_history
  • Options

DavidL said:

But we could be overthinking this - it might also be an opportunity for them to smuggle far more of their fighters into Europe and accelerate (their presumed goal of) the islamification of Europe.
    Or both. It is clear that there is indeed an opportunity for them to smuggle terrorists in. But why do so when there are enough of the home grown variety? To have hundreds of thousands of Muslims ill-treated by the west, however, is opportunity for them to convince the simple minded that we don't care and they do.

It just seemed too convenient for their agenda to me. Doesn't mean it is not true of course.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Nick, interesting. But how would you differentiate yourselves from the other parties? I doubt any of them would suggest that they are not evidence-based (scientific and rational) in their policy-making.

Would you see such a party being defined by others as centre-right or centre-left?

As I see it, there are two problems for a would be 'scientific' party:

1. The problem with evidence-based approaches is that you have to continually change and adapt your approach as new evidence comes in. I think the public will have a hard time understanding what such a party stands for.

2. Any one set of evidence can be read has supporting many different theses or political dogmas (e.g. the UK's economic performance under austerity has both been claimed to have worked - we are doing better than Europe - and to have damaged the economy - we should have done better without it). How can you determine the 'truly scientific' policy prescription when you'll never have perfect data that everyone agrees should be interpreted the same way?
  • Options
    Probably the most sensible thing written about what we should do in teh aftermath of the Paris outrage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/11997908/We-cant-stop-terrorist-attacks.-The-only-sane-response-is-to-accept-that-they-will-happen.html

I commend it to you.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Or both. It is clear that there is indeed an opportunity for them to smuggle terrorists in. But why do so when there are enough of the home grown variety? To have hundreds of thousands of Muslims ill-treated by the west, however, is opportunity for them to convince the simple minded that we don't care and they do.

It just seemed too convenient for their agenda to me. Doesn't mean it is not true of course.
    Sneaking terrorists into Europe will be their goal. I doubt they're too bothered about discrediting or discouraging refugees, since the arrival of the latter is only adding to any potential chaos.
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: I'm told Tim Farron twice told Chris Rennard to resign from Lib Dem Fed Exec; 2nd time with a deadline of 9pm last Friday. Rennard refused
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

We do know though that French soldiers can be the best when they choose to be.

Part of what makes me proud to be English is that my ancestors have held their heads high amongst such 'enemies' as the French and the Scots.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,541
    edited November 2015

dr_spyn said:

Cue for I was misquoted.

(snip)

You mean the elections in 2012, during the civil war? Or the presidential election in 2014, which many see as being illegitimate? Neither of which took place in large parts of the 'state' Ones where hundreds of thousands of the refugees outside the country were barred from voting?

Or ones pre-2012, when there was essentially a one-party state?

Of all the arguments you use wrt Assad, the 'democracy' one is perhaps the silliest.
    Yes, the 'ones' pre 2012 - not sure what being a 'one party state' has to do with it. I've heard some accusations against Yougov before, but being puppets of the Assad regime is not one of them.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jan/17/syrians-support-assad-western-propaganda

55% as Presedential candidate is pretty resounding I'd say, leaving as it does 45% to be divided amongst everyone else.

It it's so silly, why be so insistent against Assad standing? Not only has he (according to the US) 'gassed his own people', he's also only the leader of a minority Alawite sect, ruling the dissatisfied majority by fear. So why not see him utterly electorally humiliated? Unless he actually commands a majority amongst Sunnis too. Unless Syrian's support their President, and want to keep Syria, rather than become a Muslim Balkans?

• Options
    Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

We do know though that French soldiers can be the best when they choose to be.

Part of what makes me proud to be English is that my ancestors have held their heads high amongst such 'enemies' as the French and the Scots.
    The French may have been good, but we were better.

That's my dose of jingoism for the day! :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In fairness a certain type of Tory is going to find the overlap between a female authoritarian/disciplinarian Home Secretary and a porn star quite large!
    I'm shocked by that.

I thought all Tories were virtuous innocents like me.
  • Options

Mr. Flightpath, one might argue the political shenanigans in F1 display rather more competence than those in Westminster :p

You could indeed argue that. But I would not count on winning. :-)
    I suggest that the overwhelming say that a few of the strong have at the expense of the many minnows in F1 is not a good advert for their kind of politics. F1 needs its own Monopolies Commission.
  • Options

My own view is this idea is a non starter and possibly even bogus. Take a look at the scientists who stretch the truth to justify their global warming grants and their plots against people who disagree with them. Why should I assume technocrats and scientists and educationalists know better or are intrinsically better suited to government.

We are not a technocratic party - I don't think that it's desirable to have experts planning everything (didn't the Soviet Union try that?). We are economically liberal and a fan of markets. Here's a quote from the site:
    We think our right to private property is based on the work we put into it; we should be able to do what we like with what we own as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else; and our property can be disposed of, given away or sold as we choose. Thus, society should be based on voluntary transactions entered into independently of government. However there is a role for the state to regulate the economy to protect against monopolies and collusion, and ensure as much competition as possible.

The ability to mobilise knowledge in a decentralised fashion is a virtue of market economies. The best thing the state can do is facilitate this by ensuring that companies provide consumers with sufficient information to compare the market. In the modern information age we should resist calls to attempt to plan the economy from the top-down using big data gathered through surveillance. It is far better to allow individuals to use their own knowledge and the wealth of information available on the internet and other sources to make informed choices in a bottom-up manner.

Plus the basic premise of large job losses due to technology seems somewhat self servingly fanciful.

Okay, here's Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, saying the same thing. A lot of people who work in technology think this is coming. Self-driving cars are obviously going to cause problems for those who drive a vehicle for a living, and artificial intelligence is getting amazingly good these days. What will it be like in 10 years time?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

The most recent conflict against a similiar opponent to IS (Northern Mali) was a victory for the French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_involving_France_in_modern_history
    Sorry, beating the snot out of some poorly trained band of camel herders and nomads doesn't really count as a war and it was wars not police actions that I was talking about.
  • Options

felix said:

@LauraK:

36 36 Retweets

So Jeremy, would our police maybe be allowed to inflict a nasty Chinese Burn on an ISIS gunman with suicide belts, grenades and an AK47, working his way up Oxford Street? Or maybe give them a dead-leg? Would they be able to deploy the ultimate deterrent - the use of harsh words?

Edit: can we still say Chinese Burn? Maybe now an Oriental Abrasion?
    Jeremy Corbyn would probably object to Oriental Abrasion.

An involuntary circumferentially-inconsistent dermal rotation?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Watford30

'Sneaking terrorists into Europe will be their goal. I doubt they're too bothered about discrediting or discouraging refugees, since the arrival of the latter is only adding to any potential chaos.'

If only 1% of the 'refugees' are ISIS then that's another 10,000 terrorists in Europe.
    As the daily TV pictures show around 70% of the 'refugees' are young men.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Hollande wants a mandate to "destroy ISIS" from the UN Security Council.

Given that the USA and Russia are already bombing them, that leaves China and the UK as permanent sitting members.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Probably the most sensible thing written about what we should do in teh aftermath of the Paris outrage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/11997908/We-cant-stop-terrorist-attacks.-The-only-sane-response-is-to-accept-that-they-will-happen.html

I commend it to you.

Always my line when yet another knee-jerk reduction of civil liberties is proposed in the name of security.

There is a price to the freedoms we enjoy, and it is x number of deaths and injuries per year.
  • Options
    Err... if Corbyn doesn't beleive in a shoot to kill policy for the police, then does he think police should have guns full stop?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    nick said:

We are not a technocratic party - I don't think that it's desirable to have experts planning everything (didn't the Soviet Union try that?). We are economically liberal and a fan of markets. Here's a quote from the site:
    We think our right to private property is based on the work we put into it; we should be able to do what we like with what we own as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else; and our property can be disposed of, given away or sold as we choose. Thus, society should be based on voluntary transactions entered into independently of government. However there is a role for the state to regulate the economy to protect against monopolies and collusion, and ensure as much competition as possible.

The ability to mobilise knowledge in a decentralised fashion is a virtue of market economies. The best thing the state can do is facilitate this by ensuring that companies provide consumers with sufficient information to compare the market. In the modern information age we should resist calls to attempt to plan the economy from the top-down using big data gathered through surveillance. It is far better to allow individuals to use their own knowledge and the wealth of information available on the internet and other sources to make informed choices in a bottom-up manner.

Okay, here's Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, saying the same thing. A lot of people who work in technology think this is coming. Self-driving cars are obviously going to cause problems for those who drive a vehicle for a living, and artificial intelligence is getting amazingly good these days. What will it be like in 10 years time?

There will be fewer ridiculously expensive GP's in work.
  • Options

Et tu, Hatté?

twitter.com/HarrietHarman/status/666282435852812288

She's clearly a Tory.
  • Options
    @thomasknox: Let me get this right. If ISIS attacked us the way they attacked France, prime minister Jeremy Corbyn would NOT retaliate. Is that correct?

@DPJHodges: Even for Corbyn, this is utterly unbelievable. Watch. https://t.co/C44u8G5eX9
This discussion has been closed.