Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Doctors dispute: Betting opens on whether Hunt will sur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Doctors dispute: Betting opens on whether Hunt will survive

As the Junior Doctor furore continues, bookmakers William Hill have opened a market on whether Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt will still be in his role on January 1, 2017.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    As Alistair Meeks told us what might be coming.
    Another Osborne omnishambles may be about to start.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dd977e7e-d0b2-11e5-92a1-c5e23ef99c77.html#axzz3zn2T9GtY

• Options
    Google has confirmed that it will be updating its 'right to be forgotten' so that any hidden content under the ruling is removed from all versions of its search engine in countries where it has been approved.
  • Options
    The Jeremy Hunt not to be Health Secretary bet does not appear to be available on the Hills website. Whether it is more than a PR stunt and they actually laid a tenner to someone on Twitter is not known.
  • Options
    I thought that the Govt's PR handling of this has been inept. For example, they let the BMA get away with disputing the advantages to patient safety from having more doctors working at weekends. The lesson from the miners strike was that a Govt needed to have built up stocks to defeat the strikes. Has anything been done to shore up the NHS? Such as front loading the recruitment of additional doctors or changing work patterns to reduce demand? Nothing that I can see.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited February 2016
    Watford take me back to 30's

Here's a question for the general public -

'Does it matter who provides healthcare in the UK, if it remains free at the point of delivery?' (Assuming equivalent healthcare outcomes, cost and taxpayer value).

Or lets phrase it should we Privatise the NHS

On Topic Watfordtakemeback to 30's is in a massive minority

BJO in touch with the Public
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I'm in favour of both "saving our NHS" and Jeremy Hunt's "plans" for the Docs. And no I don't think those positions are mutually contradictory.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Did we not get told this morning that there was going to be a "major" cabinet reshuffle after the referendum? If so, there is every likelihood that Hunt will be moved, probably to something more significant, whether he "wins" this or not.

Evens is fairly tempting. Gove showed this leadership does not have unlimited willpower in bruising disputes with vested interests.
  • Options
    On topic: The value is probably the 8-11 but I'm swerving it.
  • Options
    8/11 looks pretty big to me. Though eventually he will be moved a la Gove.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Did we not get told this morning that there was going to be a "major" cabinet reshuffle after the referendum? If so, there is every likelihood that Hunt will be moved, probably to something more significant, whether he "wins" this or not.

Evens is fairly tempting. Gove showed this leadership does not have unlimited willpower in bruising disputes with vested interests.

Ooh didn't know about that. Evens might be the move then. But I think it's probably a 5-6 the pair sort of bet.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well the reshuffle is the risk, but I think Hunt needs to own this process (and related changes) until at least late 2017. I'd expect a new leader to move (promote?) Hunt.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm in favour of both "saving our NHS" and Jeremy Hunt's "plans" for the Docs. And no I don't think those positions are mutually contradictory.

Hunt's aspiration is good: everyone can agree we want better healthcare. His implementation was at best inept and at worst deliberately provocative.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited February 2016
    @JamieRoss7: In exciting news I hear BBC Scotland's #Holyrood16 leaders debates will include Patrick Harvie and the one and only Mr David Coburn.

So UKIP can debate directly with UKIP in kilts...
  • Options
    That 28/1 is surely value.

Hunt may well back Leave.
    If Leave wins, Cameron is likely to resign and in such an election, leading Leavers will be very well placed.
    If Hunt can resolve the dispute on something like the government's terms, he'll do his reputation with members and MPs no end of good.

Three 'if's there but not all are necessary (a Leaver may still be in a good position if Remain wins), and I'd make the combination more than a 3.5% shot.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Incidentally, on those stats, the swing has been towards the Govt since Jan.

Strongly support + tend to support in Jan: 66% - in Feb: 66%
    Tend to oppose + strongly oppose in Jan: 15% - in Feb: 22%

• Options

I thought that the Govt's PR handling of this has been inept. For example, they let the BMA get away with disputing the advantages to patient safety from having more doctors working at weekends. The lesson from the miners strike was that a Govt needed to have built up stocks to defeat the strikes. Has anything been done to shore up the NHS? Such as front loading the recruitment of additional doctors or changing work patterns to reduce demand? Nothing that I can see.

Timing. Any subsequent strikes are going to be in spring & summer.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2016
    German labour minister says the country will need to spend HALF A BILLION euros to integrate just ten per cent of its migrant arrivals into the job market...

BA (Germany's job agency ) boss Detlef Scheele said in an interview with the Sueddeutsche Zeitung: 'We should not have too many expectations.'

He added that if things went really well, in the first year of arrival maybe ten per cent of the refugees might end up with a job, and in five years it might be half.

He estimated that after 15 years, it could be around 70 per cent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3442119/German-labour-minister-says-country-need-spend-HALF-BILLION-euros-integrate-just-ten-cent-migrant-arrivals-job-market.html
  • Options

Absolutely - this has been on the back burner over Winter JIC.

The time to challenge a politically motivated and self interested health care union is spring and summer.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

'Does it matter who provides healthcare in the UK, if it remains free at the point of delivery?' (Assuming equivalent healthcare outcomes, cost and taxpayer value).

It's a service not a religion.

Public/Private's good for me as long as it provides what it promises. And I doubt I'm in the minority.

Howls in touch with himself.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2016

That 28/1 is surely value.

Hunt may well back Leave.
    If Leave wins, Cameron is likely to resign and in such an election, leading Leavers will be very well placed.
    If Hunt can resolve the dispute on something like the government's terms, he'll do his reputation with members and MPs no end of good.

Three 'if's there but not all are necessary (a Leaver may still be in a good position if Remain wins), and I'd make the combination more than a 3.5% shot.

Crashed in from 66/1 before the strike :-)

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/06/29/why-you-should-be-backing-jeremy-hunt-as-next-pm/
  • Options

German labour minister says the country will need to spend HALF A BILLION euros to integrate just ten per cent of its migrant arrivals into the job market...

BA (Germany's job agency ) boss Detlef Scheele said in an interview with the Sueddeutsche Zeitung: 'We should not have too many expectations.'

He added that if things went really well, in the first year of arrival maybe ten per cent of the refugees might end up with a job, and in five years it might be half.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3442119/German-labour-minister-says-country-need-spend-HALF-BILLION-euros-integrate-just-ten-cent-migrant-arrivals-job-market.html

HALF A BILLION

Doesn't sound that much to be honest.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

HALF A BILLION

Doesn't sound that much to be honest.
    For 10%.... i.e. the most skilled.
  • Options
    Graduates in England and Wales who fail to repay their student loan in time could be prosecuted, ministers warn.

The government says it will take stronger measures to pursue people - including those living overseas - who are believed to be avoiding repayment.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-35549236

Good luck with that...
  • Options
    edited February 2016

It is slightly more difficult to cold store doctors than tonnes of coal at power stations although a small experiment might be merited.

I have been reflecting on the figures BJO was quoting this morning. Something like 2/3 of doctors employed by the NHS are senior doctors (consultants etc.) Can anyone think of any other organisation that is so top heavy?

To take lawyers as an example I would estimate maybe 1/5 to 1/10 make partner, most of them only salaried.
  • Options
    BJO care to comment that contrary to the headline, the momentum of public sentiment appears to be swinging clearly behind the Govt.
  • Options
    William Hill ‏@sharpeangle

Customer in Oban betting shop stakes £3000 at odds of 8/1 on Marco Rubio to be next US President. He's now 7/1 jt 3rd fav. #MarcoRubio2016
  • Options
    watford30 said:

It's a service not a religion.

Public/Private's good for me as long as it provides what it promises. And I doubt I'm in the minority.

Howls in touch with himself.
    Watfordbackto30s read this thread the Public agree with me on the strike and who is responsible and not you
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Customer in Oban betting shop stakes £3000 at odds of 8/1 on Marco Rubio to be next US President. He's now 7/1 jt 3rd fav. #MarcoRubio2016

That is ballsy.....
  • Options
    The polling suggests that Hunt is finding it hard to take public opinion with him.

Luckily government doesn't simply consist of doing what the opinion polls suggest (the Burnham approach). Otherwise we'd have hanging and British Rail.
  • Options

I've got Rubio barely onside but nothing more. Bit of a crackers bet that.
  • Options

The mismatch between the stakes mentioned in William Hill PR releases and the amounts they actually seem to lay whenever anyone wants to place a bet is a never-ceasing wonder.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

BJO care to comment that contrary to the headline, the momentum of public sentiment appears to be swinging clearly behind the Govt.

The government has gone from absolutely hammered to very badly beaten in the battlefield of public opinion. Its a start, I suppose.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Stop any passerby in the street..any street..anywhere and ask..Do you think the NHS should provide a full seven day a week service...and the answer would be yes..
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PS anyone interested in the 28/1 about Hunt would surely be better off taking the 40/1 Next Prime Minister offered by Skybet & Boylesports.
  • Options

The mismatch between the stakes mentioned in William Hill PR releases and the amounts they actually seem to lay whenever anyone wants to place a bet is a never-ceasing wonder.
    I'm sure Hills will let you have as much as you like on Rubio POTUS at 7-1.
  • Options

Not really. Rubio is 11.0 on Betfair and 8/1 was not top price. Next President is a massive market unlike most of the ones we here play on.

Plus they are probably full of liabilities on Trump & Sanders.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Like this one :-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11571601/Pensioner-places-30000-bet-on-Conservative-majority-at-general-election.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Mortimer said:

That is ballsy.....
    We know where Cromwell lives then.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Of course todays poll in the Mirror has

Who is more to blame for the doctors' strike?
    Jeremy Hunt - 92%
    Junior doctors - 5%
    Both - 3%

I voted Both just to be contrary!!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

How quaint going into a betting shop to place a big wager.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt will not be moved until the end of the dispute with the doctors, and then not until a decent interval has elapsed. I'd therefore rather back the 8/11 than the evens with William Hill. I wouldn't bet the farm either way, mind.
  • Options

Best way to get on.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Stop any passerby in the street..any street..anywhere and ask..Do you think the NHS should provide a full seven day a week service...and the answer would be yes..

And if you ask them, "should we do that by making the weekday service worse" they'll say no.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You Green on all likely winners?

I am still Red on Trump but small stakes Green on rest.
  • Options
    Nearly a fifth of all courts and tribunals in England and Wales are to close, the government has announced.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35552199
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

The government has gone from absolutely hammered to very badly beaten in the battlefield of public opinion. Its a start, I suppose.
    The swing is the thing Mr L - it is encouraging.

And given more people will want a full 7 day NHS service, it is enough for a Govt win.
  • Options
    Hunt should "do a Gove" and get the reforms through then move on and let somebody else deal with the reconciliation.

To go before the reforms are through should not happen.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited February 2016

Bookies offer too many markets in a desperate bid to be seen to be open all hours on everything... the ridiculous flipside of this is that they don't have any confidence in their odds and so refuse to lay a bet

Interesting article today

https://www.gamblinginsider.com/in-depth/1765/betting-account-restrictions-winners-unwelcome
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Of course todays poll in the Mirror has

Who is more to blame for the doctors' strike?
    Jeremy Hunt - 92%
    Junior doctors - 5%
    Both - 3%

I voted Both just to be contrary!!
    I've already replied to that poll, it is in the mirror, it should be lent no credence.

Care to comment that momentum seems to be swinging behind the Govt?

• Options
    Whilst being conscious that refugees are not exactly flavour of the month at the moment this is quite funny and uncannily similar to actual letters refusing claims by the Home Office:
    https://www.freemovement.org.uk/jesus-is-refused-asylum/
  • Options
    The new top gear lineup could have been worse....

https://twitter.com/RutledgeWood/status/695252469727784960
  • Options
    OT the courts closures might prove controversial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35552199
    More than 97% of citizens would still be able to reach their required court "by car within an hour" after the closures, [the minister said]

What about by bus or train? How big are court car parks and are they free?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You Green on all likely winners?

I am still Red on Trump but small stakes Green on rest.
    Check your vanilla inbox. Red Bush.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

And given more people will want a full 7 day NHS service, it is enough for a Govt win.
    Not really since the Junior Drs put forward a perfectly good cost neutral solution to 7 day services that the employers agreed but Hunt vetoed.

What happens next is crucial Hunt has played his final card if the Doctors Trump it by refusing to change Contracts and the patients suffer.

Hunt is a busted flush.
  • Options

Hunt should "do a Gove" and get the reforms through then move on and let somebody else deal with the reconciliation.

Hunt is health secretary, so the expression is "do a Lansley".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is slightly more difficult to cold store doctors than tonnes of coal at power stations although a small experiment might be merited.
    Ha ha.
    Seriously
    Front loading the recruitment of additional doctors.
    Changing work patterns to reduce demand.
    Charging Local Authorities £1,000 a day for every day after 7 days that a person ready to be released from hospital is still there.
    Introducing a £20 fine on all who miss an appointment.
    Setting up contracts with private providors to take on more work.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
  • Options
    isam said:

Bookies offer too many markets in a desperate bid to be seen to be open all hours on everything... the ridiculous flipside of this is that they don't have any confidence in their odds and so refuse to lay a bet

https://www.gamblinginsider.com/in-depth/1765/betting-account-restrictions-winners-unwelcome
    The other flipside is that casual punters have never had it so good - a total mug would struggle to lose 5% (betting singles) with the firms offering BOG and 103% books on the Prem. In the past they'd have been losing 10%+ with tax on top.
  • Options
    Alistair..so you think a five day a week service is ok..I think it is too..as long as people do not fall seriously ill on a Friday night..or a Saturday and Sunday
  • Options
    αἴκα!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

May have indulged a little too much in the locally produced tipple.
  • Options

Hunt is health secretary, so the expression is "do a Lansley".
    Did Lansley finish get his reforms through like Gove did? I didn't think so from memory.
  • Options

More than 97% of citizens would still be able to reach their required court "by car within an hour" after the closures, [the minister said]

I am going to sound like a proper cold hearted Tory here.

But it is possible to avoid the need to visit a court.

Totally

For one's entire life.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Mortimer said:

That is ballsy.....
    Courageous, is the word I'd use.
  • Options
    BJO It would be the Docs who would refuse to treat patients..not Hunt..he could point to the empty spaces in the hospitals where the docs should be...
  • Options
    isam said:

I presume you are aware that DFS is now available in the UK, with particular focus on EPL. Are you looking to transfer much of your action to that?
  • Options

isam said:

The other flipside is that casual punters have never had it so good - a total mug would struggle to lose 5% (betting singles) with the firms offering BOG and 103% books on the Prem. In the past they'd have been losing 10%+ with tax on top.
    Bookmakers are making so much from FOBTs nowadays that they can afford to be trigger-happy on blocking punters who might be sharks but probably mugs who got lucky or are following Pricewise.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    What about if you are a witness?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT @ David Herdson:

No one can impose a contract on anyone. If in my consulting business a client 'imposes' conditions that are unbearable, I walk away from the contract. If it is unpalatable but bearable, I suck it up unless I have better options.

The option to walk - or find better work elsewhere - is also available to junior doctors, and I truly hope some of them exercise it. For at least some, the well is so poisoned they should - for their own good as well as that of the NHS - no longer work in the NHS.

I say this not out of any animus towards the doctors. But we all have to live in the world as it is, and we can't pretend for ever that the world is different for the NHS.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

isam said:

Well according to the article I linked to, casual punters aren't having that good... and total mugs don't bet singles on rock solid markets as you well know!

My mates are mostly total mugs and all they bet on are correct score/player to score/accas etc as advertised on the Ladbrokes life
  • Options
    I seem to recall from watching the Big Short that Deutsche were up to the necks in the sub-prime CDO carry-on.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    ...I didn't see anything officer...
  • Options

Alistair..so you think a five day a week service is ok..I think it is too..as long as people do not fall seriously ill on a Friday night..or a Saturday and Sunday

Or god forbid a Bank Holiday weekend.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

That is ballsy.....

Which definition of courageous are you using? Along the lines of "that's an interesting proposal"?
  • Options

isam said:

All the TV commercials seem to be about getting people to back big ACCAs. Those must be nice enough to lay, especially in football with your average punter... and no chance of "related stable contingency" as you can sometimes get in the horses.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    Good point - but how many people does that really impact nowadays?
  • Options

There's money in Oban clearly.
  • Options

isam said:

I presume you are aware that DFS is now available in the UK, with particular focus on EPL. Are you looking to transfer much of your action to that?
    What does a sofa company that always has a sale on have to do with betting?

;)
  • Options
    More like a lecture in the crucial differences between apples and oranges. Greek banks went down because the Greek State had no money to prop them up. Germany really doesn't have that problem.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    Or a lawyer?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    Or a lawyer?
    You can afford to drive a car to work.
  • Options

Good point.
    That said I heard on radio this AM (R4) that the profile of use of the A&E was changing and there was a greater incidence of use in the summer than several years ago. The NHS has less quiet periods.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Not kind, next you will be asking him about his hourly Ed Miliband forecasts.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    Not entirely by one's own actions without the intervention of luck. There are many frivolous cases brought against innocent businesses, service providers and consultants which are out of one's own control to avoid.

In Philadelphia, there is an industry of customers having 'falls' in restaurants. We had one within the first week of opening. Thankfully, we had installed video cameras covering all the public areas (obviously not bathrooms), and that case went away pronto. And then we had a cook steal the night's take. Again court on camera. I suppose I could have avoided these court appearances by not having a business, but I don't think that is a recommended course of action.

And then there is jury duty and serving as a witness if so required (as in when someone rear-ended me at high speed).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

I seem to recall from watching the Big Short that Deutsche were up to the necks in the sub-prime CDO carry-on.
    If Deutsche Bank goes down, it will go down in the same way RBS did, only with the German taxpayer bailing it out rather than the UK one.

I'd also point out one other thing that suggests outright bankruptcy is unlikely. When RBS went into the subprime / GFC / Eurozone crisis, it had core tier one capital of (what) 3.5%. Deutsche Bank's core tier one is 13.2%, that's four times as much.

That doesn't mean it won't go bust (all things are possible), but it does mean it has an awful lot more equity to burn through before it needs the state to step in than RBS did.
  • Options

To be fair, if I was advising William Hill, I'd be more than happy for them to lay that bet.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

And if you ask them, "should we do that by making the weekday service worse" they'll say no.
    Would it be worse? Why? If the service were 7 days then arguably there would be less pressure on the current 5.
    And if you ask them, "would you like to continue to be given inferior treatment on weekends?" what would the answer be?

A problem the NHS has is that it allows families to continue to ignore their responsibilities to sick relatives and thus is struggles to discharge people who no longer require hospital treatment.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Huge science news - gravitational waves detected:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35524440
  • Options
    MTimT said:

FPT @ David Herdson:

No one can impose a contract on anyone. If in my consulting business a client 'imposes' conditions that are unbearable, I walk away from the contract. If it is unpalatable but bearable, I suck it up unless I have better options.

The option to walk - or find better work elsewhere - is also available to junior doctors, and I truly hope some of them exercise it. For at least some, the well is so poisoned they should - for their own good as well as that of the NHS - no longer work in the NHS.

I say this not out of any animus towards the doctors. But we all have to live in the world as it is, and we can't pretend for ever that the world is different for the NHS.

You can't impose a contract on a person in that they do indeed have the option to walk away, but you can impose new terms and conditions on a workforce as a condition of employment.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Mortimer said:

Totally

For one's entire life.
    Not entirely by one's own actions without the intervention of luck. There are many frivolous cases brought against innocent businesses, service providers and consultants which are out of one's own control to avoid.

In Philadelphia, there is an industry of customers having 'falls' in restaurants. We had one within the first week of opening. Thankfully, we had installed video cameras covering all the public areas (obviously not bathrooms), and that case went away pronto. And then we had a cook steal the night's take. Again court on camera. I suppose I could have avoided these court appearances by not having a business, but I don't think that is a recommended course of action.

And then there is jury duty and serving as a witness if so required (as in when someone rear-ended me at high speed).
    Actually that last point about jury duty is a very good one. I take back my cold hearted Toryness.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If Deutsche Bank goes down, it will go down in the same way RBS did, only with the German taxpayer bailing it out rather than the UK one.

I'd also point out one other thing that suggests outright bankruptcy is unlikely. When RBS went into the subprime / GFC / Eurozone crisis, it had core tier one capital of (what) 3.5%. Deutsche Bank's core tier one is 13.2%, that's four times as much.

That doesn't mean it won't go bust (all things are possible), but it does mean it has an awful lot more equity to burn through before it needs the state to step in than RBS did.
    @hunchman would be pointing out to you that the underlying assumption there is that the gilts etc that tier 1 is made up of is actually worth something. Of course if its not Deutsche Bank is the least of our problems.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    isam said:

isam said:

Well according to the article I linked to, casual punters aren't having that good... and total mugs don't bet singles on rock solid markets as you well know!

My mates are mostly total mugs and all they bet on are correct score/player to score/accas etc as advertised on the Ladbrokes life
    Well much easier to go wrong at bigger prices obviously - but even then just comparing across one or two bookies would help immensely. And the accas still benefit from the 103% stuff (and some companies have good bonuses on them too).

The restrictions obviously get shrewdies' backs up but the prices (or even the markets) wouldn't be there in the first place if they had to be laid to £500 for everyone.

As an aside, I once did some consultancy with the Greek national betting company - they were targeting 40% gross win on their football coupon. Everything was priced to 120% and minimum fourfolds!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

That is ballsy.....
    'Very brave, minister'

Possibly all about reception, but your comments do seem to have far more dry wit since your avatar became rather more Russian!
  • Options

isam said:

Do you pay in installments over 4 years and end up with a shit looking lounge?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

All the TV commercials seem to be about getting people to back big ACCAs. Those must be nice enough to lay, especially in football with your average punter... and no chance of "related stable contingency" as you can sometimes get in the horses.
    Yes, but the below eats into the margin quite considerably!

Bet Type Bonus
    Trebles 5% bonus
    4-folds 10% bonus
    5-folds 10% bonus
    6-folds 20% Bonus
    7-folds 30% bonus
    8-folds 40% bonus
    9-folds 50% bonus
    10-folds 60% bonus
    11-folds 70% bonus
    12-folds 80% bonus
    13-folds 90% bonus
    14-folds and upwards 100% bonus

http://extra.bet365.com/promotions/en/soccer/soccer-accumulator-bonus
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    We knew this anyway but we now have absolute 100% confirmation that the Boundary Review will now go ahead on the basis of 600 MPs.

See the Government Response to the Political and Constitutional Reform Committee’s Eighth Report of Session 2014-15 (just published):

"What next on the redrawing of parliamentary constituency boundaries?"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/499661/53993_Cm_9203_Print_Ready.pdf
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

There's money in Oban clearly.
    Less than there was....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

isam said:

isam said:

Well much easier to go wrong at bigger prices obviously - but even then just comparing across one or two bookies would help immensely. And the accas still benefit from the 103% stuff (and some companies have good bonuses on them too).

The restrictions obviously get shrewdies' backs up but the prices wouldn't be there if they had to be laid to £500 for everyone.

As an aside, I once did some consultancy with the Greek national betting company - they were targeting 40% gross win on their football coupon. Everything was priced to 120% and minimum fourfolds!
    What you are saying is almost "if mug punters bet like shrewdies they'd be ok"! V few people bother having more than one account (if any) and even fewer use oddschecker

I am past caring now to be honest, I accept my lot and get on with it. I no longer look at a winner that I would have backed big and get the hump

The Greek Govt have got nothing on the HKJC monopoly... taking best price is a criminal offence there
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''If Deutsche Bank goes down, it will go down in the same way RBS did, only with the German taxpayer bailing it out rather than the UK one.''

Its not clear to me what is really threatening DB's viability. I read the term 'litigation' bandied around a lot, surely the regulators can't be fining their way into a financial crisis?
This discussion has been closed.