Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In terms of leadership chances Jeremy Hunt emerges as the winn

1235»

Comments

• Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Jeremy Hunt is plausible. Plausibility is a good characteristic for a leader. Jeremy Corbyn lacks it.

I guess the passport colour change symbolises to Brexiteers what they regain and to Remainers what they lose. So it matters at that level. To me it just symbolises the utter mediocrity of Brexit. If you are doing change, do it properly. A modernist take on the Union flag maybe. Or a galloping moose as in the (burgundy colour) Finnish passports:

https://twitter.com/SoVeryFinnish/status/745323758282485764

Frontiers irritate me, so I see the British passport as a useful document. A EU passport is at least as good and I really don't care what it says on the front as long as it does the job.

Post Brexit UK citizens will still have visa free travel for tourism purposes to over 170 nations - the only ones we don't are places you probably wouldn't want to visit anyway.

You can go to Canada and New Zealand for up to 6 months - and we are the only nation bar Australia with a reciprocal health care agreement with the Kiwis.

It's not so bad - and there is a big wide world outside the EU. Places which are the future and not the past. Live a little and expand your horizons as you might say,

As for freedom of movement - there are 65 million Brits but barely a million or two have moved to the EU and many of them are retirees. Few move for permanent work.

UK citizens more restricted access to the world than the current one
    Specifically, where?

Which countries have announced that UK passport holders will need visas after Brexit?

We will need visas to live and work in 26 European countries post-Brexit.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

What's this about Bradford.

Racial division within Bradford is 'horrible state of affairs', warns scrutiny committee chairman

BRADFORD is “heading towards disaster” and the Council has allowed racial hatred and the perception of fear to “become a real problem”, the chairman of a scrutiny committee has warned.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/15788106.Racial_division_within_Bradford_is__horrible_state_of_affairs___warns_scrutiny_committee_chairman/?ref=mr&lp=3

Those are my local pubs that were attacked.

I feel for you. I can only imagine how angry you feel.

You’ve got to love the cognitive dissonance in that article. A Labour councillor notes that community relations were much better 25 years ago. It’s blindingly obvious what has changed in that time, but no-one in the article will point it out.

Dont worry, the magic fairy dust of Brexit will cure Bradford of its ills.
    Some ills can’t be cured, only managed.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Jeremy Hunt is plausible. Plausibility is a good characteristic for a leader. Jeremy Corbyn lacks it.

I guess the passport colour change symbolises to Brexiteers what they regain and to Remainers what they lose. So it matters at that level. To me it just symbolises the utter mediocrity of Brexit. If you are doing change, do it properly. A modernist take on the Union flag maybe. Or a galloping moose as in the (burgundy colour) Finnish passports:

Frontiers irritate me, so I see the British passport as a useful document. A EU passport is at least as good and I really don't care what it says on the front as long as it does the job.

Post Brexit UK citizens will still have visa free travel for tourism purposes to over 170 nations - the only ones we don't are places you probably wouldn't want to visit anyway.

You can go to Canada and New Zealand for up to 6 months - and we are the only nation bar Australia with a reciprocal health care agreement with the Kiwis.

It's not so bad - and there is a big wide world outside the EU. Places which are the future and not the past. Live a little and expand your horizons as you might say,

As for freedom of movement - there are 65 million Brits but barely a million or two have moved to the EU and many of them are retirees. Few move for permanent work.

Specifically, where?

Which countries have announced that UK passport holders will need visas after Brexit?

But not to travel.......
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

So to sum up, our blue passport - which is not the same colour as the old one - will give UK citizens more restricted access to the world than the current one.

Visa-free access will remain the same worldwide. Tourist and business trips to the EU will be totally unaffected.

The right to permanent residency in an EU country will simply be qualified by things like a job offer, plus continuous residency for 5 years, or sufficient funds to support yourself in retirement. Just like everywhere else.

Storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, ha, I know that feeling.

At the final race I baulked at the lovely odds on Bottas (forget what they were, not enormous but fairly long) and then backed Ricciardo for the race in a bet that would've come off had he not been the only driver whose car suffered a reliability failure.

Rather summed up the season.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited December 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

Racial division within Bradford is 'horrible state of affairs', warns scrutiny committee chairman

BRADFORD is “heading towards disaster” and the Council has allowed racial hatred and the perception of fear to “become a real problem”, the chairman of a scrutiny committee has warned.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/15788106.Racial_division_within_Bradford_is__horrible_state_of_affairs___warns_scrutiny_committee_chairman/?ref=mr&lp=3

You’ve got to love the cognitive dissonance in that article. A Labour councillor notes that community relations were much better 25 years ago. It’s blindingly obvious what has changed in that time, but no-one in the article will point it out.

What gets me angry is the open border loons,we have real problems here and now in my area we have the poorest of the poor coming from Eastern Europe who have they own way of living.

Bradford has a chance after Bradford riots of people coming together but nothing happened, only more immigration and white flight.
  • Options
    The court of session in Edinburgh has said a legal action can go ahead to establish whether the UK can unilaterally stop the Brexit process if British voters decide the final deal is unacceptable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/legal-action-uk-stop-brexit-go-ahead
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Anorak said:

Nick has lots of fans on here because he minds his p's and q's, but i'm afraid i'm not one of them.

He's certainly intelligent but there's something highly disingenuous about the man, and he uses his politeness and false sincerity as a weapon.

I can't think of a single reason that you'd choose to write that that doesn't paint you as a very unpleasant person.

Just unnecessary.
    Thanks, Anorak. It was an oddly gratuitous comment, but in the end I'm not too bothered about anonymous posters having a pop at me. Life, it's too short, eh?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

On topic, the Hunt bandwagon continues to roll:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/944170181483552768

I will be amused if she picks her former campaign manager, Grayling, rather than Hunt who is openly campaigning for the job and knowing May I think she might
    I remember a few weeks ago you said you were almost certain she'd make David Davis her Deputy if Green went.

Not sticking to that?
    I'm glad I can finally agree with HYUFD on something. The idea of Hunt either winning a Tory leadership election or a general election is laughable. Probably a good safe pair of hands for deputy PM role though.
    Glad we are agreed on Hunt's leadership prospects, as I have said this is the 2015 'Kendall for Labour leader' bandwagon now applied to the Tories
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Specifically, where?

Prior to 1972 I worked in Germany and went on holiday to Belgium, Italy, France and Spain - all without a visa.

• Options

nielh said:

Remainer Hunt wont get elected by the brexit voting conservative membership.
    The hype is not justified.

Plenty of Conservative members on here [from both sides of the referendum fence] have averred that Remain/Leave will not be their principal concern. Now, we aren't entirely representative of the wider party, but you need only look at YouGov's May/Johnson polling from last time to realise that all but the most unreconciled Remainers will have a decent chance if they appeal in other ways.
    The trick will be to retain all those new 2017 voters, whilst pulling in a few more middle-class voters, including those with young families, between 35-45, to spike Corbyn's path.

Brexit needs to be behind us, with an optimistic vision painted of a global Britain in the 2030s for that, and go heavy on the prosperity and economics.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

Quite a few of the Spanish, Greek, Austrian and Portuguese that I work with have told me that they feel less at home here post Brexit.

Surely that was a feature not a bug though? Making the country less welcoming to immigrants was substantially the point of Brexit.
    Of course it was. The EU nationals I know are sick with worry that they are eventually going to be asked to leave and feel that London is surrounded by people who want to see them go.
    And yet, none of these people exist.

I work with lots of EU nationals in London. Not one has ever said anything of the sort. This is a fantasy of British Remainers.

No doubt if you initiate conversation with them about how terrible Brexit is, they might humour you, but no-one has ever volunteered any concerns to me. Not once.

And, no, they don't know I voted Leave.
    I also know a fair few EU nationals here, mostly London professionals and spouses of friends and neighbours. None of them I've spoken to on the topic seem petrified of being sent home, but practically all of them are upset about Brexit.
    Funny how its always the remainiest of Remainers who find this.

I work in London, have an EU national wife, EU national friends, work with many EU nationals and most of my social circle voted Remain. All but two, in fact.

I live and breathe in the same world you guys do.

None have I found.
    I think the answer is obvious, they are being nice to you. To say that most people don't realise you voted leave might be a bit delusional given your insults about the "remainiest of Remainers" (a group I doubt I belong to btw). Fair play to you however as it probably isn't easy being a committed leaver in a London young professional environment at the moment. I never comment on Sunil Prasanan's infantile remarks for the same reason, he must have a very hard time in precarious academia as a vocal youngish Leaver.
    Don't patronise me. I may let out all my politics on here, but am ultra-professional in my work and with my clients.

Hardly anyone has a clue how I voted in the EU referendum, and I don't bring it up.

I do watch and observe.
    No more patronising than claiming that anyone who deviates from the holy grail of the Leave manifesto is the "remainiest of Remainers". I'm a Remainer but reasonably content that we look to be heading for a Norway Brexit, plus a meaningless fudge on free movement. If you don't bring up the issue of the EU referendum how do you know that "most of my social circle voted Remain"?
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Specifically, where?

But not to travel.......

I never said otherwise. But we’ll be able to secure less with our blue passports. Don’t be so touchy!

• Options

RoyalBlue said:

What gets me angry is the open border loons,we have real problems here and now in my area we have the poorest of the poor coming from Eastern Europe who have they own way of living.

Bradford has a chance after Bradford riots of people coming together but nothing happened, only more immigration and white flight.
    Quite how people expect integration to happen when the host society has fled is a mystery.

This is only going to get worse until we halt the flow, and even then, it will be painful for decades to come.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Freedom of movement is liberty. Frontiers restrict that liberty. Taking control means jobsworths controlling what we can do and where we can go. There seems to be a fundamentally different starting point between you and me on this.

The British passport is a useful document in getting me through those barriers. I have no interest in it beyond that.

If the EU is the past then so are we. But it's not about history it's about geography and making the best of where we are.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Grayling to Deputy Prime Minister/First Secretary of State would be good provided that there is a replacement transport Secretary.

Almost anyone would be better than him.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    HHemmelig said:

RoyalBlue said:

nielh said:

As a Brexit voting and campaigning Tory Party member, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

We will be much more concerned about the potential backlash from being Minister for Health in rallying Labour, and how it affects our chances of victory, than how he campaigned during the referendum whose result he has accepted.
    I think your last point is a good one, however much would depend upon who he is up against in the membership vote. I can't see a Rees-Mogg character not trying to win votes on a principled Brexiteer ticket.
    I think there will be a backlash over regulatory allignment. Hunt is not going to benefit from this.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

Quite a few of the Spanish, Greek, Austrian and Portuguese that I work with have told me that they feel less at home here post Brexit.

Surely that was a feature not a bug though? Making the country less welcoming to immigrants was substantially the point of Brexit.
    Of course it was. The EU nationals I know are sick with worry that they are eventually going to be asked to leave and feel that London is surrounded by people who want to see them go.
    And yet, none of these people exist.

I work with lots of EU nationals in London. Not one has ever said anything of the sort. This is a fantasy of British Remainers.

No doubt if you initiate conversation with them about how terrible Brexit is, they might humour you, but no-one has ever volunteered any concerns to me. Not once.

And, no, they don't know I voted Leave.
    I also know a fair few EU nationals here, mostly London professionals and spouses of friends and neighbours. None of them I've spoken to on the topic seem petrified of being sent home, but practically all of them are upset about Brexit.
    Funny how its always the remainiest of Remainers who find this.

I work in London, have an EU national wife, EU national friends, work with many EU nationals and most of my social circle voted Remain. All but two, in fact.

I live and breathe in the same world you guys do.

None have I found.
    I .
    Don't patronise me. I may let out all my politics on here, but am ultra-professional in my work and with my clients.

Hardly anyone has a clue how I voted in the EU referendum, and I don't bring it up.

I do watch and observe.
    No more patronising than claiming that anyone who deviates from the holy grail of the Leave manifesto is the "remainiest of Remainers". I'm a Remainer but reasonably content that we look to be heading for a Norway Brexit, plus a meaningless fudge on free movement. If you don't bring up the issue of the EU referendum how do you know that "most of my social circle voted Remain"?
    The clue is the difference between "social circle" and "professional environment" and "work colleagues".

And, I let most of my (close) friends - all white British, and middle-class - rant-away on WhatsApp with only an occasional comment for me. Because I find it interesting.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Anorak said:

Nick has lots of fans on here because he minds his p's and q's, but i'm afraid i'm not one of them.

He's certainly intelligent but there's something highly disingenuous about the man, and he uses his politeness and false sincerity as a weapon.

I can't think of a single reason that you'd choose to write that that doesn't paint you as a very unpleasant person.

Just unnecessary.
    Thanks, Anorak. It was an oddly gratuitous comment, but in the end I'm not too bothered about anonymous posters having a pop at me. Life, it's too short, eh?
    It sure is Nick.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.
    I'm not having a pop at you or not.

I'm just saying I'm not one of your fans, and that I find you disingenuous and that you use your politeness as a weapon.

I see right through you.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Specifically, where?

All those job opportunities in countries with high unemployment or miserable wages our young people will miss out on! What a loss.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

So to sum up, our blue passport - which is not the same colour as the old one - will give UK citizens more restricted access to the world than the current one.

Visa-free access will remain the same worldwide. Tourist and business trips to the EU will be totally unaffected.

The right to permanent residency in an EU country will simply be qualified by things like a job offer, plus continuous residency for 5 years, or sufficient funds to support yourself in retirement. Just like everywhere else.

Storm in a teacup.
    You have no way of knowing that exactly the same visa-free access will remain worldwide. Some of those 170 nations may well require British citizens to apply for a visa, on the basis of no longer being an EU member state. Or they may demand concessions from us in order for us to keep our visa-free status. Basically nothing is clear on that yet and much will depend on the deal we finally sign up to.
  • Options

nielh said:

Plenty of Conservative members on here [from both sides of the referendum fence] have averred that Remain/Leave will not be their principal concern. Now, we aren't entirely representative of the wider party, but you need only look at YouGov's May/Johnson polling from last time to realise that all but the most unreconciled Remainers will have a decent chance if they appeal in other ways.
    Fair enough. I suspect he is popular with the remain leaning part of the conservative party.
  • Options

calum said:
    A bold, eye-catching initiative with which the PM can be personally associated...
    'A day like today is not a day for soundbites.

Ha, just shittin' ya, EVERY day is a day for soundbites!'
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.
    Dr Palmer, having been democratically elected, voted to give away powers to the EU and thus put them beyond direct democratic control, despite having been elected on a manifesto which promised a public vote first.

Frankly, Casino is being generous.
    Thanks, RoyalBlue.

What I find unpleasant is going from toadying Blairite careerist, and pro-Iraq war advocate, to out-and-proud Corbynite eurocommunist, without missing a step, at all stages proclaiming to be entirely sincere, and consistently playing down any significance of the argument either which way in the hope of winning over as many to it as possible, without actually being sincere. I find it manipulative and dishonest. And the "politeness" doesn't make up for that.

I can't respect someone like that. I'd far rather have someone who cut the crap and occasionally swore at me, but who I knew was the real deal.

That's why I (genuinely) really like Labour posters like Jonathan, BJO and Southam, but I can't stand Nick Palmer.
  • Options

The court of session in Edinburgh has said a legal action can go ahead to establish whether the UK can unilaterally stop the Brexit process if British voters decide the final deal is unacceptable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/legal-action-uk-stop-brexit-go-ahead

I’m not a lawyer, but reading the article it sounds like all that’s happened is that a petition will go to the UK government to ask the ECJ. The UK government will decline to ask, and that will be that.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Storm in a teacup.
    You have no way of knowing that exactly the same visa-free access will remain worldwide. Some of those 170 nations may well require British citizens to apply for a visa, on the basis of no longer being an EU member state. Or they may demand concessions from us in order for us to keep our visa-free status. Basically nothing is clear on that yet and much will depend on the deal we finally sign up to.
    I think that's nonsense.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Storm in a teacup.
    Brexit is based on unfounded optimism and gut instinct. Hopefully it will work out ok.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Not good TYke , my wife's originally from Keighley , even in the 80s , it was self imposed apartheid , schools , housing areas .White flight to Skipton.There was a terrible event there yesterday.https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/woman-stabbed-to-death-in-aldi-worked-at-the-skipton-supermarket-1-8923335
    The pubs that were racially attacked in my view and it happens every year but the police will do nothing incase they cause a riot.

When someone gets hurt then we might see action.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Quite how people expect integration to happen when the host society has fled is a mystery.

This is only going to get worse until we halt the flow, and even then, it will be painful for decades to come.
    Spot on.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.
    Dr Palmer, having been democratically elected, voted to give away powers to the EU and thus put them beyond direct democratic control, despite having been elected on a manifesto which promised a public vote first.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

What I find unpleasant is going from toadying Blairite careerist, and pro-Iraq war advocate, to out-and-proud Corbynite eurocommunist, without missing a step, at all stages proclaiming to be entirely sincere, and consistently playing down any significance of the argument either which way in the hope of winning over as many to it as possible, without actually being sincere. I find it manipulative and dishonest. And the "politeness" doesn't make up for that.

I can't respect someone like that. I'd far rather have someone who cut the crap and occasionally swore at me, but who I knew was the real deal.

That's why I (genuinely) really like Labour posters like Jonathan, BJO and Southam, but I can't stand Nick Palmer.
    Rubbish. What kind of country would we be if our politicians were never allowed to change their minds based on experience of past mistakes? We would have a government made up of Bill Cashes and Dennis Skinners.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I’m not a lawyer, but reading the article it sounds like all that’s happened is that a petition will go to the UK government to ask the ECJ. The UK government will decline to ask, and that will be that.

What am I missing?
    I'm not a lawyer either, but it does look a very odd case. Essentially they seem to be asking for a judicial review of an opinion which ministers may have expressed about the likely outcome of a hypothetical case at the ECJ. Clearly the legal question of whether Article 50 is unilaterally revocable is potentially very important, but it's not clear to me why the UK government is being challenged on it.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Storm in a teacup.
    If that was the case surely EU citizens would have equal visa-free access across the world? The don't. Visa free access has nothing to do with EU membership and everything to do with destination countries wanting our tourist £s and our propensity to return home after our visit.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

What am I missing?
    I'm not a lawyer either, but it does look a very odd case. Essentially they seem to be asking for a judicial review of an opinion which ministers may have expressed about the likely outcome of a hypothetical case at the ECJ. Clearly the legal question of whether Article 50 is unilaterally revocable is potentially very important, but it's not clear to me why the UK government is being challenged on it.
    Hopefully @TheScreamingEagles can educate us!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    I see PB is already filled to the gunwales with festive spirit! ;)
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

You are allowed to change your mind in politics as Nick did in supporting Corbyn in 2015 after being a new labour MP. It shows independence of thought and maturity.
    It seems you are aggrieved with his voting for the Lisbon treaty, but as you pointed out earlier, the 2016 referendum effectively reversed that.
    Why are you so angry? Makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,443
    edited December 2017

RoyalBlue said:

What am I missing?
    It looks like a fishing exercise to get to see

1) If the government have discussed revoking Article 50

2) The legal advice therein

Edit - Or extending Article 50.

Something which Theresa May herself discussed this week.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Yorkcity said:

Not good TYke , my wife's originally from Keighley , even in the 80s , it was self imposed apartheid , schools , housing areas .White flight to Skipton.There was a terrible event there yesterday.https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/woman-stabbed-to-death-in-aldi-worked-at-the-skipton-supermarket-1-8923335
    The pubs that were racially attacked in my view and it happens every year but the police will do nothing incase they cause a riot.

It’s not race at all; it’s religious hatred. Our own institutions are complicit. The idea that the police shouldn’t protect property and enforce the law because it may cause a riot is reprehensible, and a total betrayal of the victims.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

If that was the case surely EU citizens would have equal visa-free access across the world? The don't. Visa free access has nothing to do with EU membership and everything to do with destination countries wanting our tourist £s and our propensity to return home after our visit.

Political decisions are not always driven by economic considerations. As Brexiters should know. Tourist £s may not be decisive here.

• Options
    HHemmelig said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

Rubbish. What kind of country would we be if our politicians were never allowed to change their minds based on experience of past mistakes? We would have a government made up of Bill Cashes and Dennis Skinners.
    He's 'changed his mind' now, because he sees a chance of getting the far-Left Government he's always dreamed of, and is not currently seeking elected office, but is continuing to play it down and twist it like he did with Blair, Iraq and the Lisbon treaty whilst in Government.

Weasel.

I put him in the same category as John Bercow.
  • Options
    nielh said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

You are allowed to change your mind in politics as Nick did in supporting Corbyn in 2015 after being a new labour MP. It shows independence of thought and maturity.
    It seems you are aggrieved with his voting for the Lisbon treaty, but as you pointed out earlier, the 2016 referendum effectively reversed that.
    He betrayed the confidence of the voters, and agreed to a transfer of power that, at the time, appeared irreversible. That we subsequently had the EU referendum is completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

I will be amused if she picks her former campaign manager, Grayling, rather than Hunt who is openly campaigning for the job and knowing May I think she might
    I remember a few weeks ago you said you were almost certain she'd make David Davis her Deputy if Green went.

Not sticking to that?
    @HYUFD is absolutely certain about everything he posts
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,195

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

A post that would have been best left unwritten. Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Specifically, where?

All those job opportunities in countries with high unemployment or miserable wages our young people will miss out on! What a loss.

Yep - for the many young people who take summer jobs in Spain, Portugal, Greece and Cyprus it will be; and for those hoping to study for a year or two. Same for the older folk hoping to retire to the south. But I would not imagine for a moment that bothers you.

• Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

The truth is the truth, Christmas or otherwise.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Segregation by faith in education compounds the problem, I think.
    (CofE schools tend to be mixed; Catholic and Islamic schools not so much.)

A selection from the Wikipedia list of Bradford schools makes the point, as does a cursory examination of their admissions policies...

The Sacred Heart RC Primary School, Ben Rhydding
    St Anthony's RC Primary School, Clayton
    St Anthony's RC Primary School, Windhill
    St James Church Primary School
    St Joseph's RC Primary School
    St John the Evangelist RC Primary School
    St Mary's CE primary school, Riddlesden
    St Matthew's RC Primary School
    St Matthew's CE Primary School
    St Oswald's CE Primary Academy
    St Walburga's RC Primary School

Islamic Tarbiyah Preparatory School
    Jaamiatul Imaam Muhammad Zakaria
    Darul Uloom Dawatul Imaan
    Al Mumin Schools
    Al-Markaz Academy
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

Yorkcity said:

It’s not race at all; it’s religious hatred. Our own institutions are complicit. The idea that the police shouldn’t protect property and enforce the law because it may cause a riot is reprehensible, and a total betrayal of the victims.
    Probably abit of both on religious hatred and racism,when you get called "white bastard" on a number occasions then religious hatred disappears.
  • Options

Extending Article 50 is not an issue, because everyone agrees that it can be extended according to the provisions laid out in the treaty (unanimous agreement).

On the revocation question, presumably the government's response will be 'That's an interesting hypothetical question, but since we have no intention of trying to revoke it there is nothing to challenge.' (suitably dressed up in expensive legalese, of course).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    edited December 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

nielh said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

He betrayed the confidence of the voters, and agreed to a transfer of power that, at the time, appeared irreversible. That we subsequently had the EU referendum is completely irrelevant.
    What utter bollocks this is. The transfer of power was clearly never "irreversible".

I do wonder how we ever managed to have a referendum at all since we had given all our sovereignty away to the nasty old EU!
  • Options

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Surely the question should not "more/less" but "sufficient/insufficient"?

The new passport will be sufficent for most travel; the voters chose to trade off more rights to take back control
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

I hope they do act before that happens .As I keep saying it's a different world in Keighley / Bradford compared to York.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Specifically, where?

Yep - for the many young people who take summer jobs in Spain, Portugal, Greece and Cyprus it will be; and for those hoping to study for a year or two. Same for the older folk hoping to retire to the south. But I would not imagine for a moment that bothers you.

If countries wish to offer those things to British young people or pensioners, I have no issue with it. I just don’t have the presumption that you do that such things shouldn’t be for those countries to decide, just as it will be up to us in reverse.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Specifically, where?

You already know the Post-Brexit visa regime?

Impressive!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not sticking to that?
    I think being Brexit Secretary is now too big a job to combine with Deputy PM although he has an outside chance, I think Grayling a better bet, he is ultra loyal to May having been her leadership campaign manager in June 2016 and experienced and having briefly met both Grayling and Hunt I personally found the former more impressive and knowledgeable than the latter.

Grayling of course has also always been a Brexiteer unlike Hunt' s recent conversion from Remain and Grayling is not openly campaigning for the job as Hunt seems to be.
    I've met them both.

Hunt was charming but glib.

Grayling was engaged, but careless with his choice of words.

Hunt's failings are less important for such a senior role
  • Options
    Charles said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

The new passport will be sufficent for most travel; the voters chose to trade off more rights to take back control

Absolutely. The elite will get more control. Individual citizens will have fewer options. But that is what we voted for.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    What I don't really get is why anyone would want us to be in the EU, and not want it to integrate further and further. Why do some apparently committed europhiles reject the EU's unequivocally declared destiny?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Charles said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Absolutely. The elite will get more control. Individual citizens will have fewer options. But that is what we voted for.

Blue passport. Somebody please save us from these morons.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I'm trying to work out what my target price for Jeremy Hunt is before laying off. Does 8 sound about right?

I won't mention that I backed him for next Prime Minister at 140. That would be gauche.

Hideously so.

Jeremy Hunt 280 £3.98 £1,110.42
    Ref: 105995629578 Matched: 17:56 30-Oct-17
    Jeremy Hunt 300 £0.02 £5.98
    Ref: 104754227688 Matched: 19:21 08-Oct-17
    A whole 4 pounds? I do not bet at such stratospheric stakes!
  • Options
    Given symbols don't matter she'd be fine for the Jack to fly from Scottish public buildings then?
  • Options

What I don't really get is why anyone would want us to be in the EU, and not want it to integrate further and further. Why do some apparently committed europhiles reject the EU's unequivocally declared destiny?

In order to have our cake and eat it. It's highly regrettable that we decided to leave just at the time when we'd pretty much got exactly what we want (with the one important exception of curbs on FoM).
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

nielh said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

What utter bollocks this is. The transfer of power was clearly never "irreversible".

I do wonder how we ever managed to have a referendum at all since we had given all our sovereignty away to the nasty old EU!
    It was clearly irreversible whilst remaining in the EU.

And like others on here you clearly have a serious problem with understanding the meaning of the word sovereignty.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm trying to work out what my target price for Jeremy Hunt is before laying off. Does 8 sound about right?

I won't mention that I backed him for next Prime Minister at 140. That would be gauche.

Hideously so.

Sadly that's all there was! Such is Betfair. Overall JH is about a £4.5k winner at present, so not in TSE's league: like others I'm looking to trade some of it back.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

It is one thing being generally offensive to the likes of Corbyn, but being directly offensive to a fellow poster, outside the realms of tit-for-tat banter, is out of oder
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

In order to have our cake and eat it. It's highly regrettable that we decided to leave just at the time when we'd pretty much got exactly what we want (with the one important exception of curbs on FoM).
    We had the EU's word on that. The EU is quite free with words. See EU Constitution <=> Lisbon Treaty.
  • Options

Extending Article 50 is not an issue, because everyone agrees that it can be extended according to the provisions laid out in the treaty (unanimous agreement).

On the revocation question, presumably the government's response will be 'That's an interesting hypothetical question, but since we have no intention of trying to revoke it there is nothing to challenge.' (suitably dressed up in expensive legalese, of course).
    It might be to do with the length of extending Article 50.

I've seen some discussion that Article 50 can only be extended up until June 5th 2019.

Any later, and then would the UK need to hold European Parliament Elections and send MEPs for the next Parliament is a tricky matter, a pain the EU really don't want.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

I hope they do act before that happens .As I keep saying it's a different world in Keighley / Bradford compared to York.
    Nothing will be done. Look how Wes Streeting (who is gay) prostrates himself before pro-Palestinian groups, when homosexual acts are illegal in Gaza, where gay men are subject to extra-judicial killings. Labour will not attack a key component of its electoral coalition.

The Conservatives are afraid of what those who would never support them will say, even though many minorities feel even more strongly about this issue than white Brits.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,443
    edited December 2017

Alistair said:

Hideously so.

Sadly that's all there was! Such is Betfair. Overall JH is about a £4.5k winner at present, so not in TSE's league: like others I'm looking to trade some of it back.
    Perhaps you can get HYUFD to offer you the same terms as he gave me on Hunt beating Boris or JRM in the final two.
  • Options

Well I'd be one of those who "want us to be in the EU, and not want it to integrate further" but whether I could explain in a way that made sense to you, I doubt.

Some of the reasons are: I like the freedoms the current EU offers (travel, trade, right to residency etc.), I like the social standards it enforces, I think it's good for the economy. At the same time I don't think we need a European super-state, local differences should be allowed and celebrated, it's a massive bureacracy, the lack of a common language makes a single state impractical imho (althpough give it 100 years and English will be the de facto common language).

Of course, as long as we are a member we can always veto further integration, so it was never a danger really. :smile:
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Betfair's Catalonian odds at 10am yesterday !

" Potentially a bit of value in the Betfair Catalonian market - most recent polling points to the Cs having a good chance of getting the most seats. JxCat also seem to be staging a late surge - results due at 10pm. ERC 2/5 - Cs 7/4 - JxCat 8/1 "
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2017

It might be to do with the length of extending Article 50.

I've seen some discussion that Article 50 can only be extended up until June 5th 2019.

Any later, and then would the UK need to hold European Parliament Elections and send MEPs for the next Parliament is a tricky matter, a pain the EU really don't want.

It may well be a pain for them, but that doesn't mean that there is a legal impediment, if all 28 countries agree. I agree that in practice it's unlikely that they'd extend it past June 5th (and therefore it won't be extended at all).

Edit: Thanks for reminding me, just invested some more in the ludicrously generous 'UK to leave the EU by the 29/03/2019?' market.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

It is one thing being generally offensive to the likes of Corbyn, but being directly offensive to a fellow poster, outside the realms of tit-for-tat banter, is out of oder
    Dr Palmer is not just a ‘fellow poster’. He voted to give away powers which were not his to give away.

What’s banterous about that?
  • Options
    At root this isn’t about the money, of course. When it became clear that the money is not a factor, the row moved to the heart of the matter, that is the culture war and intense upper middle class left loathing of the other Britain. The passport decision is a symbol, for ultra-Remainers, of the horrors of Brexit Britain. Attack blue passport people and you send a message of ultra liberal virtue about class and social attitudes: I am, it signals, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, post-nation state, modern, international, European ‎and superior. Blue passport people, in contrast, are ghastly. Sneering about death and the supposed trauma of Britain having blue passports seems unlikely to ever win round Brexiteers, but knock yourselves out. It’s been a tough year for the Stop Brexit crowd, because a deal seems to be happening, and they now cling to these rows.

https://reaction.life/im-dreaming-blue-passport/
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

Not at all, I'm glad I wrote it and got it off my chest.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Just been looking over the ONS data from today. I think by the time all of the data has been revised we will look at economic growth of 1.7-1.9% for the year. Nothing outstanding, but also not the huge disaster that has been so heavily trailed in the UK media. Growth in that region would be a solid result and put the UK squarely in the middle of the pack internationally.
  • Options
    new thread
  • Options

Well I'd be one of those who "want us to be in the EU, and not want it to integrate further" but whether I could explain in a way that made sense to you, I doubt.

Some of the reasons are: I like the freedoms the current EU offers (travel, trade, right to residency etc.), I like the social standards it enforces, I think it's good for the economy. At the same time I don't think we need a European super-state, local differences should be allowed and celebrated, it's a massive bureacracy, the lack of a common language makes a single state impractical imho (althpough give it 100 years and English will be the de facto common language).

Of course, as long as we are a member we can always veto further integration, so it was never a danger really. :smile:
    This all makes sense, apart from the last sentence. We might formally retain veto power, but if almost everyone else is ploughing ahead with initiatives under the ‘enhanced cooperation’ procedure, we would be totally marginalised. It’s the same with the Tories not being in the EPP.

Sadly, I don’t think the status quo was ever sustainable in the long term.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/1984/jun/27/past.eu

The burgundy passports were agreed at the Fontainebleau summit where Maggie negotiated the budget rebate. Another part of Thatcher's legacy being trashed by Brexit.
  • Options

Charles said:

brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

Quite right. Brexit is a transfer of power to the UK elites. PM Boris will be able to exclude citizens of the world from entering Britain on a whim, but I will be stripped of my right to work in France. We have voted for a kind of servitude.
  • Options

That's a very fair position that many British people would share, albeit I don't agree with your final sentence.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

At root this isn’t about the money, of course. When it became clear that the money is not a factor, the row moved to the heart of the matter, that is the culture war and intense upper middle class left loathing of the other Britain. The passport decision is a symbol, for ultra-Remainers, of the horrors of Brexit Britain. Attack blue passport people and you send a message of ultra liberal virtue about class and social attitudes: I am, it signals, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, post-nation state, modern, international, European ‎and superior. Blue passport people, in contrast, are ghastly. Sneering about death and the supposed trauma of Britain having blue passports seems unlikely to ever win round Brexiteers, but knock yourselves out. It’s been a tough year for the Stop Brexit crowd, because a deal seems to be happening, and they now cling to these rows.

https://reaction.life/im-dreaming-blue-passport/

Quite enjoyed this article. When I got to the part that said "I am, it signals, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, post-nation state, modern, international, European..." I thought: 'sounds great - what's not to like about that?' :wink:

I personally don't give a flying fig about the colour of anyone's passport - if you asked me last week what colour it was I'd have had to go and look to tell you. Amusing that it was our great late lamented leader Margaret Thatcher who brought in the EU coloured ones though!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anorak said:

Just unnecessary.

Thanks, RoyalBlue.

Dr Palmer is not just a ‘fellow poster’. He voted to give away powers which were not his to give away.

What’s banterous about that?
    And you voted to curtail my free movement across the EU, I hold you and your fellow Brexiteers personally accountable, but I am not being rude to you about what I consider to be your error!
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

Brom said:

Not you in particular, more the Guardian comments section (and maybe Scott P in fairness).

What makes you think I am angry?

It's the funniest thing for days. It is ironic that the current purple matches the faces of Brexiteers excited by this sort of stuff more closely than the Excursion Bus blue that the Sun seem to be punting today
    I’m very disappointed they won’t be black. It won’t match my jackboots.
    Ah! A Daily Heil reader....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,780
    I appreciate that many people have a view of NickPalmer, and I assume you will continue to do so. But as I have frequently pointed out that I prefer to discuss betting and election prediction to politics and personalities, so I have a soft spot for the gamblers and analysts. When I started betting in this here burgh I didn't know what the overround was, and "SPIN" meant "to rotate around an axis". Some people took time to explain stuff to me, and one of them was NickPalmer. He was quite pleased when I pointed out that SPIN's odds on Melenchon in France 2012 were ridiculously good value, and may even have placed a bet as a result. So I don't hold the hatred in my heart that @RoyalBlue and - to my surprise - @Casino_Royale do.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I appreciate that many people have a view of NickPalmer, and I assume you will continue to do so. But as I have frequently pointed out that I prefer to discuss betting and election prediction to politics and personalities, so I have a soft spot for the gamblers and analysts. When I started betting in this here burgh I didn't know what the overround was, and "SPIN" meant "to rotate around an axis". Some people took time to explain stuff to me, and one of them was NickPalmer. He was quite pleased when I pointed out that SPIN's odds on Melenchon in France 2012 were ridiculously good value, and may even have placed a bet as a result. So I don't hold the hatred in my heart that @RoyalBlue and - to my surprise - @Casino_Royale do.

There is no hatred. I just think politicians should be called out if they vote for constitutional change without explicit popular consent despite promising to do so in their manifesto.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,780
    @Casino_Royale

If memory serves you've had some bad times recently, and GE17 was not an optimal outcome for you betting-wise (although not as bad as it could have been, thank goodness). Abuse from you is unusual but has happened before, when you were having a tough time. You OK?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

There is no hatred in my heart , neither am I being abusive. I am just sharing my honest opinion.

I do hate his view that the UK should be abolished - if you want to draw blood with me, that's the way to do it - because I am extremely patriotic.
  • Options

*raises an eyebrow*

"I don't care about the colour of passports" say people who keep talking about the colour of passports...

Symbols matter. The symbolism here is of a government pandering to reactionary cretins. Not a good look.
    While driving around this last week I've been keeping a look out for all those unharvested fields you talked about.

I've not managed to see any yet in southern Yorkshire, northern Nottinghamshire or north-western Lincolnshire.

But then I wouldn't expect to given that employment in the agricultural sector is at a twenty year high.

Perhaps you could give details as to where they are.
    It being December, I'm doubtful that harvesting pressures are particularly intense right now.
    So no link to a BBC report on unharvested fields ?

Perhaps because there isn't any ?

Though it would be fun to see such a report:

Reporter - "So your crops are going unharvested ?"
    Farmer - "The locals wont do the work"
    Reporter - "So why have the farms over there and over there had their crops harvested ?"
    Farmer - Angry grumble
    Reporter - "What are your wage rates ? We've heard you don't pay the going rate"
    Farmer - "Get orf my land"
This discussion has been closed.