Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB gets within 10% of its GE17 Lewisham vote it’ll be a vi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB gets within 10% of its GE17 Lewisham vote it’ll be a vindication for Corbyn’s Brexit approach

At the General Election the strongly anti-Brexit LAB MP, Heidi Alexander, came out with a share of 67.9% and a margin of 44.8% over the second place Conservatives in Lewisham East. The question, on which Ladbrokes have a market, is how the party will do on votes in the by-election two weeks on Thursday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First :smiley:
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    I doubt a safe by-election of no consquence will mean much of anything at all.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Are there any odds on next country to leave the euro/Italy to leave?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I didn't know Heidi was strongly anti-Brexit, and I doubt the voters of Lewisham did either. I'm on the 60-70 and 70+ bands at longer odds than those shown here as per TSE's tip.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    OGH said:

...and would be backing it if I wasn’t in Spain where I’m barred from accessing my Ladbrokes account.

So much for the single market, eh?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Pulpstar said:

I didn't know Heidi was strongly anti-Brexit, and I doubt the voters of Lewisham did either. I'm on the 60-70 and 70+ bands at longer odds than those shown here as per TSE's tip.

Bar the shadow Chancellor, Labour Leader, Kate Hoey and John Cryer isn't every London Labour MP strongly opposed to Brexit - even if many go along with the party line of accepting the result but delivering a BINO.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    FPT - on assisted dying.

A mistake to assume that it is only the religious lobby which is against this.

There is nothing stopping anyone taking their own life. What is at issue is when a person is unable to do so and needs someone else to put an end to their life.

In those circumstances it is not just about the rights of the person suffering but about the obligations that a society would be placing on others to, let's be blunt, kill someone. Now people, including doctors, have been "mercy" killing for years and a very few people have ever been charged let alone convicted. Given the recent CPS guidelines I would be surprised if this were to change.

But once you create a right to be killed by others, you create an obligation on a third party, you have to define the circumstances in which that obligation can be carried out & when it can't, you have to deal with actual & potential conflicts of interest - should someone who benefits financially from the death of the person concerned ever be involved in the decision, for instance?, you have to deal with those who make money out of such a business & you have to deal with subtle & not so subtle pressure on those who are suffering to take the easy way out / save others' money. These are not easy questions & there are good reasons why all civilised societies have had a taboo about the deliberate taking of a life, particularly of the most vulnerable.

So it trivialises the issue to turn it into some priest stopping someone ending their own life & that's all there is to it.

I don't know what the answer is. I have had people in my own family suffer in such a way. If I were to end up in such a position I would refuse to have pointless medical interventions & simply seek palliative care & if that meant that strong drugs hastened my end so much the better. Living wills may be one answer.

This is a difficult & delicate topic. Those who for all sorts of compassionate reasons think that assisted dying should be made legal need to accept that it crosses a boundary which can lead to all sorts of unforeseen consequences, some of which will not be desirable & which may make matters worse for some. A compassionate society is one which looks properly after the weakest & most vulnerable, not one which places cost above other factors and sees only the strong and sentient as worthy. We do not need to look far into our own history to know what happens when such views take hold.

I am a great supporter of the hospice movement & have raised money for it. It is one charitable endeavour which needs far more support than it gets.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

There is nothing stopping anyone taking their own life. What is at issue is when a person is unable to do so and needs someone else to put an end to their life.

In those circumstances it is not just about the rights of the person suffering but about the obligations that a society would be placing on others to, let's be blunt, kill someone. Now people, including doctors, have been "mercy" killing for years and a very few people have ever been charged let alone convicted. Given the recent CPS guidelines I would be surprised if this were to change.

But once you create a right to be killed by others, you create an obligation on a third party, you have to define the circumstances in which that obligation can be carried out & when it can't, you have to deal with actual & potential conflicts of interest - should someone who benefits financially from the death of the person concerned ever be involved in the decision, for instance?, you have to deal with those who make money out of such a business & you have to deal with subtle & not so subtle pressure on those who are suffering to take the easy way out / save others' money. These are not easy questions & there are good reasons why all civilised societies have had a taboo about the deliberate taking of a life, particularly of the most vulnerable.

So it trivialises the issue to turn it into some priest stopping someone ending their own life & that's all there is to it.

I don't know what the answer is. I have had people in my own family suffer in such a way. If I were to end up in such a position I would refuse to have pointless medical interventions & simply seek palliative care & if that meant that strong drugs hastened my end so much the better. Living wills may be one answer.

This is a difficult & delicate topic. Those who for all sorts of compassionate reasons think that assisted dying should be made legal need to accept that it crosses a boundary which can lead to all sorts of unforeseen consequences, some of which will not be desirable & which may make matters worse for some. A compassionate society is one which looks properly after the weakest & most vulnerable, not one which places cost above other factors and sees only the strong and sentient as worthy. We do not need to look far into our own history to know what happens when such views take hold.

I am a great supporter of the hospice movement & have raised money for it. It is one charitable endeavour which needs far more support than it gets.

+1

I still think that future societies will be appalled that we ever legalised abortion.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Memo to Starbucks in the United States:

https://twitter.com/DegenRolf/status/1001442853002805251
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited May 2018
    The Lib Dems were decimated in Labour-inclined areas of South London during the coalition years. They have only a handful of Council seats in Southwark and none at all in Lambeth, Lewisham or Greenwich. In Lewisham they got 12% of the vote on May 3rd - Labour got more than 60%.

It's very hard to see a close result, let alone a by-election upset, on these numbers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    I am really struggling to get excited about this bye-election. I don't see it changing anything.

Let's suppose the Labour vote goes down by 20%. So what? Still an ultra safe seat.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

Did you win on Witney and Richmond Park?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    AndyJS said:

And we've had that lass from NHS Birmingham doing the rounds today, to tedious effect.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

AndyJS said:

And we've had that lass from NHS Birmingham doing the rounds today, to tedious effect.
    the one who is married to the former head of the NHS and who cant control budgets ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550282/Wife-scandal-hit-NHS-chief-overpaid-hospital-staff-1-3m-634-overpayments-handed-Birmingham-Childrens-Hospital.html
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    If I were canvassing in Lewisham (and I might be) my pitch on the door step won't be send a message to Corbyn. It will be "Labour is bound to win here. So you can safely vote libdem to give the Tories a kick in the teeth by relegating them to third place"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

The "slippery slope" argument is not always a good one, but I think it is here.

Wherever you draw the line on assisted dying, there will always be hard cases on the other side of it. So, there will always be pressure to water down the limitations, until you reach the position of Belgium, where euthanasia is available for children.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

Fudge. You don't create any obligations.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's just like 2012 all over again, having to keep a check on this page:

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBTPGR10:IND
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

I don't know what the answer is. I ha have raised money for it. It is one charitable endeavour which needs far more support than it gets.

Wherever you draw the line on assisted dying, there will always be hard cases on the other side of it. So, there will always be pressure to water down the limitations, until you reach the position of Belgium, where euthanasia is available for children.
    I suspect the issue is less one of hard cases as once it is in familiarity breeds contempt. It becomes a default and as a couple of generations of doctors move on the safeguards get observed in the round but not in practice. I suspect that's why we have the highest abortion rate in W Europe.

For the record I'm for assisted dying but have reservations on how it will pan out in practice.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

Or you get to the position where, whatever the law says, the reality is different. As is the case with abortion law in the UK where, in effect, there is abortion on demand, even though that is not strictly the law. The proposed Irish law is more honest in that respect. One irony of it is that it means that a woman could get an abortion because she does not want to have a girl baby, a sadly ironic consequence of a movement motivated by feminism.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

Yes you do. If I have a legal right to help to end my life, that right is meaningless unless someone else has the obligation to assist me.

There is a difference between saying that the state will not (generally) prosecute someone who helps a person who wants to die to do so and creating a legal right for someone to get a doctor or other health professional to end their life. Rights and obligations go together.
  • Options
    Indigo1Indigo1 Posts: 47
    edited May 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Yes you do. If I have a legal right to help to end my life, that right is meaningless unless someone else has the obligation to assist me.

There is a difference between saying that the state will not (generally) prosecute someone who helps a person who wants to die to do so and creating a legal right for someone to get a doctor or other health professional to end their life. Rights and obligations go together.

So don't make it a right, make it an acceptable option. If you want to buy a kilo of apples, you may do so, if someone is willing to sell to you, without imposing the duty on anyone to sell you a fruit of your choice. Surely a middle way is to allow closely regulated organisations such as Dignitas to emerge to fulfil a need, which might be funded by payment, or run as a charitable institution. If they are unhappy to help you end your life, other providers will be available, if none of them want to do it, maybe your case is such that a doctor would be unlikely to approve your request anyway.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

Bar the shadow Chancellor, Labour Leader, Kate Hoey and John Cryer isn't every London Labour MP strongly opposed to Brexit - even if many go along with the party line of accepting the result but delivering a BINO.
    Hoey only added 3.5% onto the Labour score in 2017. Staggeringly bad when you consider how remain the constituency was.

Every other constituency around this point is either
    a) A Lib Dem/Tory marginal (+ Brighton)
    b) A place where Labour is very weak (Often coincides with A)
    c) A constituency with a large Jewish population (Well Finchley)
    d) Clegg's Tories heading home to hand Labour victory in Sheffield Hallam.

The closest normal Lab/Con constituency is Battersea

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1001458627985670144
  • Options
    Good for Tusk. His background as a nationally-elected politician shows.
  • Options
    The Tory correlation is much stronger, which one could take to imply that generally people generally vote FOR the Tories, or AGAINST the Tories.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Tory correlation is much stronger, which one could take to imply that generally people generally vote FOR the Tories, or AGAINST the Tories.

Indeed. Except in Scotland.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Has the point been reached where it's impermissible to draw attention to external economic realities?

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Indeed. Except in Scotland.
    Yep :

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1001460989244727296
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Indeed it does. I also think he recognises why the EU is losing popularity at such a fast pace and it will eventually start losing more countries as a result.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

Nor do I think a right to conscientious objection gets around that.

I may consider that in principle there are circumstances in which I would assist someone to end their own life, but disagree with the particular decision that I'm being asked to assist with.
  • Options
    A timely reminder. Not that the EU institutions themselves are going to be the ones openly critisising the Italian electorate - they’ve plenty of stooges in Italy to do that job for them, starting with the President.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2018
    Some sense....banning the media from reporting this was totally wrong (and pointless in the modern age).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5782667/EDL-founder-Tommy-Robinson-jailed-13-months.html
  • Options

Has the point been reached where it's impermissible to draw attention to external economic realities?

I think there would (quite rightly) be uproar if Corbyn was blocked from becoming PM if he had the confidence of the house, even if the blockers had our economic interests at heart.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Of course not. But the EU isn't addressing its internal economic realities either (the Target2 imbalances &c.) At some point countries will have to leave the Euro or commit to a complete political union (which I don't think their electorates want).

That said, I sympathise with the Italian President's logic: this shouldn't be done by stealth. Though I think he is probably making a political mistake.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Glenn, not for the first time, Tusk shows more perceptiveness than some of his fellow EU leaders.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    A bit of a sideshow in Lewisham but it could be the ABSOLUTE deathknell for UKIP if they are beaten by Waters.
    If they can't do that feat in the wake of the recent Tommy Robinson jailing then I guess UKIP is destined to live on as the zombie far right party of choice.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Does that apply to British voters too?

The fact he needs to make this comment tells us all we need to know about the mindset in Brussels.
  • Options

The fact he needs to make this comment tells us all we need to know about the mindset in Brussels.
    Also true. The EU feels that voters need to be taught a lesson if they vote against the interests of the EU. That much has been clear for a very long time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,061
    MaxPB said:

Also true. The EU feels that voters need to be taught a lesson if they vote against the interests of the EU. That much has been clear for a very long time.
    Can you define 'the EU' in this context? Which interests exactly do you mean?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1001446571874144257

I thought th me DUP’s position on this was clear? If this area is within the competence of the assembly, May should leave it to them.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Anyone who works for, has worked for or supports them.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

snip

You have fundamentally misunderstood the issue.

No-one is talking about someone having a legal right to help end their life and demanding it of their doctor or friend. "You must kill me or you will be prosecuted". Ridiculous!

We are talking about someone having the legal right to help someone else end their life (subject to myriad safeguards). There is no obligation. Rights and obligations do not always go together. That is a clique that is often trotted out and it is rubbish.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2018
    When the BBC report on these things they always make it sound like the individuals merely misplaced the required paperwork on their way to France....

Today there are hundreds of thousands of young men in France who - like Mr Gassama - arrived after a long and dangerous journey, have no proper papers and survive (just about) by working in the black economy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44291810
  • Options
    What happens if there's nothing left to Brexit from ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    edited May 2018
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I thought th me DUP’s position on this was clear? If this area is within the competence of the assembly, May should leave it to them.
    What is this assembly of which you speak? The assembly that is not actually functioning? It's a view.

• Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

The assembly that is not actually functioning? It's a view.

Perhaps it should be seen as an incentive to get it functioning then!
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

What is this assembly of which you speak? The assembly that is not actually functioning? It's a view.

Don’t all sides want power to be returned to the assembly?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Given your deep interest in the matter perhaps you could refer me to the Labour candidate's manifesto in the recent West Tyrone by-election
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/elashton/status/1001470261953253376
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

And there’s a billion reasons on the table for the politicians of NI to reopen the Assembly.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

posh English bird wants to play colonial mem sahib

that'll end well
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Some people are so impatient. The decision would be far more legitimate if it wasn’t forced upon them.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

In theory perhaps. In practice I think the DUP rather enjoys holding the UK government to ransom. A much more powerful position than its role in the NI assembly.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited May 2018
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

The key concern I have with this argument (which is otherwise bluntly unanswerable and Corbyn was even more than usually unwise to try and slide past it) is that it gives Foster yet another reason to hang on to the DUP leadership, when what's really needed to unclog matters is her resignation.

If her supporters get it fixed into her head that she resigns = abortion is legalised they'll be even more determined not to let her quit.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

In theory perhaps. In practice I think the DUP rather enjoys holding the UK government to ransom. A much more powerful position than its role in the NI assembly.
    They can do that with or without the assembly!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,988

Of course not. But the EU isn't addressing its internal economic realities either (the Target2 imbalances &c.) At some point countries will have to leave the Euro or commit to a complete political union (which I don't think their electorates want).

That said, I sympathise with the Italian President's logic: this shouldn't be done by stealth. Though I think he is probably making a political mistake.
    Target 2 imbalances are the consequence of capital fight, not because Germany is running a surplus and the periphery a deficit.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718

MaxPB said:

Look, it's been clear for a long time, Max says so.
    He should know as he also knows how the EU feels.
  • Options

Yes very interesting... They may be trouble ahead.

Wait, it's already here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Some people are so impatient. The decision would be far more legitimate if it wasn’t forced upon them.
    all that will happen is the local politicos will do their usual blame the brits instead of facing up to their own responsibilities. If NI is to return to normalised politics it's poiliticians cant continually be let off the hook for not doing the job their electors asked them to.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Not forever, agreed. But 16 months' suspension is nowhere near long enough to start legislating for substantial social change over the wishes of the area's representatives (if not the area's electorate). That way lies permanent resentment and potential rebellion, along the lines of Roe v Wade. I write as someone who supported the result in the Republic last week.

The NI electorate will of course have their say via their future choice of representatives.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

It wouldn't be up to MPs anyway, NI devolved legislation when the assembly is suspended is made by Orders-In-Council. But it will be very easy to point the finger at the PM for any disagreeable measures as seen from under a bowler hat.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's ironic to see neo-colonialists arguing that we should force the backward natives of Ulster to accept abortion whether they like it or not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

The frequent use of Irish referendums combined with their PR-STV method of elections to the Dail means that it is IMHO just about the most democratic country in the world. And so 'progressive' changes there are accepted even though the country is obviously very catholic.

Maybe we should have started with a smaller referendum, say on the Lisbon Treaty rather than going the whole hog with a forced in/out of the EU question :) ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I agree with that assessment. If Westminster tried interferring with say devolved areas of Holyrood, there would be rightly be huge uproar.

It's perfectly possible to be pro-abortion rights, yet want any change to be done in the right way, and May should make this clear.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

No-one is talking about someone having a legal right to help end their life and demanding it of their doctor or friend. "You must kill me or you will be prosecuted". Ridiculous!

We are talking about someone having the legal right to help someone else end their life (subject to myriad safeguards). There is no obligation. Rights and obligations do not always go together. That is a clique that is often trotted out and it is rubbish.

Well maybe I have misunderstood. From what I have seen on the news, it is always people who are in a distressing situation who want to be helped by others to bring their suffering to an end. The various court cases have been people asking for an assurance that their loved one not be prosecuted for helping them. That is what has led to the recent CPS guidelines, though there is no absolute guarantee that someone might not be prosecuted if the evidence were there to suggest that this was not about help but something more sinister

Beyond such cases I have not seen people saying that they want to go round generally helping others to end their lives. In the UK anyway.

There is Dignitas, of course. Do they make a profit from what they do?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Target 2 imbalances are the consequence of capital fight, not because Germany is running a surplus and the periphery a deficit.
    It's both, isn't it? With the latter leading to the former (which has become the more important driver).
  • Options
    I note the Irish had referendums on Joining, Maastricht, single European act, Amsterdam, Nice (Twice), Lisbon and the European fiscal compact !

8 referendums on various aspects of Europe.
  • Options

It's ironic to see neo-colonialists arguing that we should force the backward natives of Ulster to accept abortion whether they like it or not.

I think their case for it is made by opinion polling, which in its way is even more troubling.
  • Options
    Indigo1 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

It wouldn't be up to MPs anyway, NI devolved legislation when the assembly is suspended is made by Orders-In-Council. But it will be very easy to point the finger at the PM for any disagreeable measures as seen from under a bowler hat.
    It can't be done by an act? Or can it be done by both? I thought there was a Labour MP trying to amend a current bill to introduce the change.
  • Options
    Indigo1 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

The DUP is simply the whipping boy for Labour and Remainers, but don't kid yourself the nationalist community is all pro abortion. The SDLP is split on the issue and will probably go matter of conscience and if Mick Fealty on Slugger OToole is correct SF policy in NI is still officially anti despite being pro in RoI.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Price, my thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

Well maybe I have misunderstood. From what I have seen on the news, it is always people who are in a distressing situation who want to be helped by others to bring their suffering to an end. The various court cases have been people asking for an assurance that their loved one not be prosecuted for helping them. That is what has led to the recent CPS guidelines, though there is no absolute guarantee that someone might not be prosecuted if the evidence were there to suggest that this was not about help but something more sinister

Beyond such cases I have not seen people saying that they want to go round generally helping others to end their lives. In the UK anyway.

Technically, they are Non-profit, but their finances are a bit impenetrable:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/7851615/Dignitas-founder-is-millionaire.html
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2018
    Pulpstar said:

I note the Irish had referendums on Joining, Maastricht, single European act, Amsterdam, Nice (Twice), Lisbon and the European fiscal compact !

Many senior politicians, including I think George Osborne, were worried that the first chance the Brits got to vote on the EU, they'd vote against it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Many senior politicians, including I think George Osborne, were worried that the first chance the Brits got to vote on the EU, they'd vote against it.
    I think that's pretty obvious in retrospect, given that we voted against the whole shooting match.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Though it does seem as if NI politicians are out of step with their voters:

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1000433763611041792?s=19
  • Options

This particular colony has handed its decision-making back to the empire. Social policy can't go by default because Northern Ireland's politicians have abrogated their responsibilities. If they were incentivised to see some downsides of disengaging from real world politics, that would do no harm at all.
  • Options

This particular colony has handed its decision-making back to the empire. Social policy can't go by default because Northern Ireland's politicians have abrogated their responsibilities. If they were incentivised to see some downsides of disengaging from real world politics, that would do no harm at all.
    stop paying the MLAs
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Does the population of NI want to have a referendum on abortion ?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited May 2018
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Well partly because the Irish has had eight (!) consultations since 1972 to our zero. Oh that we had been as wise as the Irish in getting consent of the governed at each step along the road. Now I’m sure the huge dollops of net cash year after year decade after decade have helped Irish sentiment too, but there might’ve been more acceptance of the EU if we’d been bloody consulted along the way.

O/T I see Oerttinger’s petrol on the fire comments are being widely reported on Italian sites. What a plonker. He’s just written 5 Star’s slogan for the (presumed) upcoming elections. All they need is a bus.
  • Options

stop paying the MLAs
    Hell yes. That should have happened months ago.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It might be a good way to open a debate about what kind of future NI wants to have without it being as consequential as a border poll.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

It might be a good way to open a debate about what kind of future NI wants to have without it being as consequential as a border poll.
    Perhaps some sort of devolved assembly could sort out these regional religious matters - I believe the Scotch council has recently brought in some puritan inspired taxes and tariffs for example.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT - on assisted dying.

Dignitas is a not-for-profit members society.

http://www.dignitas.ch/?lang=en

"I have not seen people saying that they want to go round generally helping others to end their lives"
    . Nor have I. They would be a bit sinister I think.

The usual case is someone with a terminal illness living in pain who wants to die and needs help to die but their relative or doctor feels threatened with prosecution if they help. There is a case reported just a few hours ago on the bbc website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-44285111

The danger is if it becomes generally accepted that there will be no prosecutions yet there is no legal provision of the necessary safeguards. We may already be at that stage.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

If the MLAs are evading their responsibilities then the power to make the big decisions should go down and not up.

Let N.I. vote.
  • Options

That argument would have some force if this were an urgent decision in response to developing events, but it isn't. Moreover the empire isn't taking control of lots of other issues: everything which is not an immediately unavoidable decision is being left until the natives have sorted themselves out. It is therefore impossible to reach any conclusion other than that this is a neo-colonialist attempt to impose values on the benighted natives (in their own interests, of course).
  • Options

stop paying the MLAs
    Hell yes. That should have happened months ago.
    It was proposed but hasn't gone through from what I can make out
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That suggests that a vote on the issue would be pretty close.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    If Westminster wants to meddle they can call a referendum. The idea that Parliament should introduce a major social reform over the heads of NI’s elected representatives to its devolved institutions is absurd. The NI Assembly is only dormant because of Sinn Fein’s totally unreasonable request to give official status to a language spoken fluently by 1 in every 400 people in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Foxy said:

Why use the word 'liberalised' rather than 'changed'?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Perhaps some sort of devolved assembly could sort out these regional religious matters - I believe the Scotch council has recently brought in some puritan inspired taxes and tariffs for example.
    we are obviously grateful to Wee Mrs McTurnip who has offered to abort all the paddies we send to Scotland, though clearly the bill will have to go to England.

Since NI has a protestant minority sub 35 this obviously will impact one community more than the other. No doubt the SNP will give it a zany topical name like No More Catholics.
  • Options
    Anyone who still holds betting slips on Gavin Williamson as next leader/PM should see the entries at 15:27 and 16:03 here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/may/29/failing-to-prepare-for-no-deal-brexit-would-be-incompetent-and-weak-says-rees-mogg-politics-live

(I did try to warn y'all...)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

we are obviously grateful to Wee Mrs McTurnip who has offered to abort all the paddies we send to Scotland, though clearly the bill will have to go to England.

Since NI has a protestant minority sub 35 this obviously will impact one community more than the other. No doubt the SNP will give it a zany topical name like No More Catholics.
    The case for English independence is strong (and I'm not talking about footing the bill). The kind of sectarian bigotry and neo-imperialistic hubris displayed by unionists has played a big part in leading us to Brexit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indigo1 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

It can't be done by an act? Or can it be done by both? I thought there was a Labour MP trying to amend a current bill to introduce the change.
    To paraphrase RHon Mr James Hacker MP, an Enabling Act can enable anything, but mostly it enables you to lose the next election.

The current process is by order-in-council, I am sure that process can be changed by primary legislation, but at what cost.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The case for English independence is strong (and I'm not talking about footing the bill). The kind of sectarian bigotry and neo-imperialistic hubris displayed by unionists has played a big part in leading us to Brexit.
    yeah Billy Boy

not biting
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited May 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

The NI Assembly is only dormant because of Sinn Fein’s totally unreasonable request to give official status to a language spoken fluently by 1 in every 400 people in Northern Ireland.

Hmmmm...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38301428

This is the further problem for May, far more than some posturing by Labour and Sinn Fein over abortion. She can't even put pressure on Foster to go as she relies on her for a majority, but at the same time Stormont won't be reconvened while she might be in a position of power.

I am 90% sure a majority Tory government would have had devolution back up and running by now.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    AndyJS said:
    Is implicit bias a thing?
This discussion has been closed.