Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr Johnson’s fate might have been sealed when CON MPs decided

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr Johnson’s fate might have been sealed when CON MPs decided to stick with the woman who lost the CON majority at GE2017

TMay June 9th 2017

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    First, I suppose.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Second like Corbyn.
  • Options
    What a shame that the incumbent and leading rival are both crap. Especially when there are many better alternatives like Javid or Gove.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,295
    What a remarkable smile that is. Reeks of .....something.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Theresa May will stay while things could get worse if she is replaced. Or she might step down at a time of her own choosing.

If she wants to thwart one particular candidate, that might be at a moment of a passing cloud. Who might she want to thwart?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    DavidL said:

The pic of TMay is a screen grab from the day after the general election.
  • Options

Theresa May will stay while things could get worse if she is replaced. Or she might step down at a time of her own choosing.

If she wants to thwart one particular candidate, that might be at a moment of a passing cloud. Who might she want to thwart?

I think the list is quite long. She doesn’t seem to have many friends in her party or her cabinet. But there is almost certainly one name at the top.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    Just read either, or better yet, both of the recent Shipman books. Boris can't fake sincerity or disguise his utter lack of interest in anyone other than his good self. He reeks of self-interest and would cheerfully throw anyone under a bus if it served his goal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Maybe not one of her better days then, in fairness. But there is no happiness, no humour, no sincerity, just deep regret with more than a hint of hurt.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Just read either, or better yet, both of the recent Shipman books. Boris can't fake sincerity or disguise his utter lack of interest in anyone other than his good self. He reeks of self-interest and would cheerfully throw anyone under a bus if it served his goal.

He knows the utility of a bus, that is for sure.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Maybe not one of her better days then, in fairness. But there is no happiness, no humour, no sincerity, just deep regret with more than a hint of hurt.
    I'm afraid her expression puts me in mind of some victims of mild strokes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Individual frames from a video can be used to show anything you want.
  • Options
    FPT

Anna has 7 apples. Bryony has 4 apples. Cathy has 5 apples.

Who has the most apples? Don't all shout at once.

I think the trouble here is that the word "most" can be used in different ways that are equally correct.

At the 2017 General Election the Conservatives won the most seats but didn't win most of the seats. I think that works?
    Yes that's how it works. "The most" means more than any other while simply "most of" means more than half. The Tories at the last election won the most votes and the most seats. They did not win most of the votes or most of the seats.

Waiting for Mr Clipp to apologise for dropping the word "the" from my post and accusing me falsely of making a mistake when I didn't. Not holding my breath though. It takes a big man to admit when they made a mistake.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Catching up, very interesting threat from Nick Palmer on Cultural Leftism.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    kle4 said:

It was, wasn't it? The whole header was good too, mind.
  • Options

FPT

I think the trouble here is that the word "most" can be used in different ways that are equally correct.

At the 2017 General Election the Conservatives won the most seats but didn't win most of the seats. I think that works?
    Yes that's how it works. "The most" means more than any other while simply "most of" means more than half. The Tories at the last election won the most votes and the most seats. They did not win most of the votes or most of the seats.

Waiting for Mr Clipp to apologise for dropping the word "the" from my post and accusing me falsely of making a mistake when I didn't. Not holding my breath though. It takes a big man to admit when they made a mistake.
    I would have more sympathy for this observation were it not from a poster who still obdurately refuses to acknowledge that the claim that Turkey was joining the EU was a xenophobic lie.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    May is a far better choice than Boris to conduct the Brexit negotiations.

Whether May is a better choice than Boris to beat Corbyn at the next general election is less clear cut
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kle4 said:

You mean the one which failed to mention anti-semitism while suggesting Labour was in line with modern culture. Rather you than me. I found it nauseating.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Whether May is a better choice than Boris to beat Corbyn at the next general election is less clear cut

It is pretty much inconceivable, major ill health apart, that anyone else could finalise the Brexit negotiations now. For good or ill the party made its choice by default. The priority now is to get it done.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Individual frames from a video can be used to show anything you want.
    Look at Ed Miliband and a bacon sandwich for evidence of that.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

What a shame that the incumbent and leading rival are both crap. Especially when there are many better alternatives like Javid or Gove.

Who according to Yougov would see the Tories poll a significantly lower voteshare against Corbyn Labour under their leadership than under May or Boris
  • Options
    For some reason India are out to 1.16 to win this match, and they’re about to take a new ball. That’s silly value.
  • Options

FPT

I would have more sympathy for this observation were it not from a poster who still obdurately refuses to acknowledge that the claim that Turkey was joining the EU was a xenophobic lie.
    https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/582164115260641280
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

For some reason India are out to 1.16 to win this match, and they’re about to take a new ball. That’s silly value.

I agree although India are just starting to look a bowler light. If the game is still going they are going to be stiff tomorrow.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    Boris's fate was sealed in 2017 when he didn't stand.

He may yet be PM in 2018/19/20 IF

1. he can convince enough of his his fellow MPs that he has a personal credo that isn't just "I'm Boris - enough said" AND

2. he can come up with a convincing reason why he was not a fit and proper candidate in 2017 - but is now AND

3. enough of those MPs believe he has the vim and vigour to deliver - and won't just be bored and an idle delegator AND

4. enough of those MPs are prepared to take a leap of faith and put him forward to the membership AND

5. enough of the membership are convinced of their ability to sell Boris's personal credo on the doorstep

So far we have had very little from him that would satisfy any of those five points. It's still not impossible - because frankly he is the only personality in front line Tory politics who could pull it off (and the only one with much personality). But he starts from a very, very long way back - and appears to have spent the summer not having heard the starting pistol (a short provocative piece on burqas notwithstanding).

Unlike many on here, I have not been entirely persuaded against Boris. But he has a lot of work to do to get me to vote for him. (Of course, depending on the choice, I may end up voting against his opponent. But I would like a positive reason to vote. Or to stop me from just abstaining altogether.)
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    John_M said:

Which is why he is fundamentally unsuited for high office, along with a general impression of complete incompetence when he held the role of FS for what was thankfully for the nation a relatively short period. He desperately wants to be seen as Churchill, when in reality he is more Coco The Clown. Quite sad really
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Who according to Yougov would see the Tories poll a significantly lower voteshare against Corbyn Labour under their leadership than under May or Boris
    Because a large amount of the population don't know who they are. Boris has the advantage of a highly recognisable appearance
  • Options
    felix said:

kle4 said:

You mean the one which failed to mention anti-semitism while suggesting Labour was in line with modern culture. Rather you than me. I found it nauseating.
    Nicely put.
  • Options

John_M said:

Which is why he is fundamentally unsuited for high office, along with a general impression of complete incompetence when he held the role of FS for what was thankfully for the nation a relatively short period. He desperately wants to be seen as Churchill, when in reality he is more Coco The Clown. Quite sad really
    We agree on that. Mrs May gave him enough rope to hang himself.
  • Options
    That is ridiculous. Umpires call on both outside the line and hitting the stumps. What happened to the benefit of the doubt going to the batsman?

Superb innings by Buttler but that is a harsh dismissal. Bairstow not so much.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

That is ridiculous. Umpires call on both outside the line and hitting the stumps. What happened to the benefit of the doubt going to the batsman?

He didn’t look like he wanted to be out there.

Odds 1.03 now, for everyone who put their mortgage on India at 1.16 10 mins ago.
  • Options
    Real chance of this finishing tonight now.
  • Options

felix said:

kle4 said:

Nicely put.
    Yes, a loss of credibility in extremis on that point. He also failed to mention that he did rather well out of the capitalist system through (unusually for a Labour politician) having a moderately successful pre-politics career in the pharmaceutical industry. I wonder whether he benefits from a good capitalist's pension to supplement his ex-MP's pension?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    DavidL said:

John_M said:

He'll find it has other uses when the PCP throw him under one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

While Stoke and Woakes are still there, there's hope of play tomorrow.

When they're out, that's all folks.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Doethur, this is serious, not a time for jokes.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

It is a review system, not a decision system. The umpire is mandated to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman. DRS is mandated to give the benefit of the doubt to the umpire.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

While Stoke and Woakes are still there, there's hope of play tomorrow.

When they're out, that's all folks.
    Well one of them is. This could finish tonight.
  • Options
    Woakes out.

Meanwhile at Scarborough, after scoring a double century, Moeen Ali has taken the first four Yorkshire wickets.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

John_M said:

He'll find it has other uses when the PCP throw him under one.
    Perhaps enough of them will "lend him their vote to ensure all wings of he party have their say". Problem is, no-one knows what wing of the party Boris really does represent as he is a lying maipulative little shit
  • Options

DavidL said:

It is a review system, not a decision system. The umpire is mandated to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman. DRS is mandated to give the benefit of the doubt to the umpire.
    That’s a good way of putting it.

The idea of DRS is to stop the ‘howlers’ made by an ump who gets one look in real time, not to endlessly go over every decision.
  • Options

Woakes out.

Meanwhile at Scarborough, after scoring a double century, Moeen Ali has taken the first four Yorkshire wickets.

What’s he doing next week?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

It is pretty much inconceivable, major ill health apart, that anyone else could finalise the Brexit negotiations now. For good or ill the party made its choice by default. The priority now is to get it done.
    Yes and she will do so
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Because a large amount of the population don't know who they are. Boris has the advantage of a highly recognisable appearance
    Javid is now Home Secretary, one of the 3 big offices of state and Gove is still in the Cabinet while Boris has left it. They cannot rely on the name recognition argument much longer and certainly not in a leadership campaign where they will have plenty of publicity
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Some politicians look better viewed from a distance.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

But only relatively better, Mr Thompson. Nothing there to get the pulse beating.

It`s like comparing May with Corbyn.
  • Options
    'Is Boris Islamophobic?'

Huge difference in view of Leavers and Remainers

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1031896199492644864
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, this is serious, not a time for jokes.

Was that about Boris or about cricket?
  • Options
    Corbyn refuses six times to say whether or not Britain is better off outside the EU

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1031943630590763010
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

Basically Michael Holding wants the stumps to be smaller for LBW.

And Buttler wasn't playing a shot so where his pad was when the ball hit him doesn't matter.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    Great news team!

EU residents will not be turfed out.

Says our Brexit secretary.

Huzzah!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Clearest sign yet that Corbyn will not be around for much longer... At 1:04 in that interview "The Prime Minister delivering Brexit, if it's us, will be ensuring that..."

Which I interpret as, "if Labour are negotiating Brexit the PM will not be me".
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    HYUFD said:
    Struggling to see the link to the, er, link.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Great news team!

Huzzah!

Save the "great news" for the EU saying likewise....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn refuses six times to say whether or not Britain is better off outside the EU

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1031943630590763010

It is more than a refusal. It is an absolute inability to articulate anything other than his prepared line over and over and over again.

It is his Howard moment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At the risk of being a broken record, the next Tory leader must be comfortable in their own skin, perform well on TV and sell sunlit uplands or they will lose the election. Gove no. Javid maybe. Boris probably.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Great news team!

Huzzah!

It's great isn't it that this needs to be said.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Great news team!

Huzzah!

Quite. One side seems to be happy to use people as pawns in the negotiations.
  • Options

FPT

The EU lists Turkey under "joining the EU" on their own website. Why is the EU promoting a xenophobic lie? https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en#joining-the-eu

You make out like all that happens to be joining the EU is the date you join but to quote "Becoming a member of the EU is a complex procedure which does not happen overnight."

Turkey is in the middle of the Joining the EU procedure listed there and is listed as nation under it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Struggling to see the link to the, er, link.
    Scroll down, it is about third comment piece
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

HYUFD said:

At the risk of being a broken record, the next Tory leader must be comfortable in their own skin, perform well on TV and sell sunlit uplands or they will lose the election. Gove no. Javid maybe. Boris probably.
    Nothing about being a good, effective PM capable of leading Britain through a difficult period. Just a telegenic salesman with an ego.
  • Options

FPT

The EU lists Turkey under "joining the EU" on their own website. Why is the EU promoting a xenophobic lie? https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en#joining-the-eu

You make out like all that happens to be joining the EU is the date you join but to quote "Becoming a member of the EU is a complex procedure which does not happen overnight."

Turkey is in the middle of the Joining the EU procedure listed there and is listed as nation under it.
    Websites don't necessarily reflect ground truth, whodathunk it? Turkey became a candidate country in 2005. Since then, it's completed one of the 35 elements of the accession criteria. After the coup attempt, accession talks were suspended.

So, I think in a bureaucratic, technical sense, Turkey is a candidate country, but in the same way that I'm a candidate to be Michelle Pfeiffer's next husband.

If there were no more Erdogan, and the remaining elements of the accession criteria were met and the North Cyprus question were settled and the French and Austrian referendums on the matter were in favour and no one else vetoed their accession, then hey presto! the leaflet is correct.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Nothing about being a good, effective PM capable of leading Britain through a difficult period. Just a telegenic salesman with an ego.
    You know what? I'd be very motivated to vote for a party with sensible, costed, coherent policies on, oh I don't know, housing, health and social care and maybe even taxation reform. If some party were to make those proposals I wouldn't care if they were led by Kermit the frog.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    edited August 2018
    I bore for Brexit, but it's worth taking stock from time to time of where we are. This is a good summary of the state of play.

Key passage :
    Almost all Conservative MPs would reject the EU's backstop proposal, so signing up to the Withdrawal Agreement as it currently exists is not an option for May.

It basically comes down to whether Tory and DUP MPs are prepared to accept chaos instead of signing up to the NI backstop or whether they will take the chaos first and THEN sign up.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Andrew Neil

Verified account

@afneil
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    ABC news of America reporting that Trump lawyer Michael Cohen has entered into a plea bargain with the Feds.

Tick tock???
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Great news team!

Huzzah!

Should you care to look back you will see that unlike the weasel Leavers who wanted to unilaterally guarantee EU nationals' rights, I from the start realised that there must be an agreement on both.

We are in a negotiation and it is one item on the agenda.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I bore for Brexit, but it's worth taking stock from time to time of where we are. This is a good summary of the state of play.

Key passage :
    Almost all Conservative MPs would reject the EU's backstop proposal, so signing up to the Withdrawal Agreement as it currently exists is not an option for May.

It basically comes down to whether Tory and DUP MPs are prepared to accept chaos instead of signing up to the NI backstop or whether they will take the chaos first and THEN sign up.

Or whether the EU accepts this is a bridge too far and agrees something else.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2018
    John_M said:

FPT

Websites don't necessarily reflect ground truth, whodathunk it? Turkey became a candidate country in 2005. Since then, it's completed one of the 35 elements of the accession criteria. After the coup attempt, accession talks were suspended.

So, I think in a bureaucratic, technical sense, Turkey is a candidate country, but in the same way that I'm a candidate to be Michelle Pfeiffer's next husband.

If there were no more Erdogan, and the remaining elements of the accession criteria were met and the North Cyprus question were settled and the French and Austrian referendums on the matter were in favour and no one else vetoed their accession, then hey presto! the leaflet is correct.
    Joining is a process not an event. Hey presto on your scenario and they'd have then joined not be joining.

The coup and suspension came AFTER the referendum.

Calling using the exact words the EU uses on it's OWN website a xenophobic lie and dismissing it as just a website is a stretch don't you think?
  • Options

John_M said:

FPT

Joining is a process not an event. Hey presto on your scenario and they'd have then joined not be joining.

Calling using the exact words the EU uses on it's OWN website a xenophobic lie and dismissing it as just a website is a stretch don't you think?
    Alastair is just that crazy old guy who comes and sits next to you on the bus and rants about space aliens. Don't pay him no never mind. Think of him like those WWI invalids with shell shock. There are a few of them around...Adonis, Grayling, Maugham etc.
  • Options

Andrew Neil

Verified account

@afneil
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    ABC news of America reporting that Trump lawyer Michael Cohen has entered into a plea bargain with the Feds.

Tick tock???

Aren't lawyers supposed to maintain client confidentiality.

If Cohen breaks that confidentiality then he becomes dishonourable and discredits his evidence. Also the plea bagain itself puts doubt on the evidence provided in the bargain exchange eg make up something to bargain with.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

That's the celebrity culture we live in. Better to be on Love Island than go to Uni.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Great news team!

Huzzah!

Should you care to look back you will see that unlike the weasel Leavers who wanted to unilaterally guarantee EU nationals' rights, I from the start realised that there must be an agreement on both.

We are in a negotiation and it is one item on the agenda.
    Two years ago I’d have agreed with you, that it was a negotiation item. Now that it’s quite clear that the EU side have no intention of negotiating in good faith and are quite prepared to screw their own economy as long as we also suffer, it’s time to make it clear that we are the adults in the room.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Woakes out.

What’s he doing next week?
    Solving Brexit.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    John_M said:

FPT

And luckily the Greeks luuurve the Turks, so that won't be a veto problem either.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

That's the celebrity culture we live in. Better to be on Love Island than go to Uni.
    Boris went to Oxford and is a classicist, it is not that, just charisma normally wins general elections
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Re comments about Corbyn leaving or being replaced. McDonnell, is arguably worse. He wants to seize the means of production as he told the brothers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

FF43 said:

Key passage :

We agreed the backstop in December.

Is it now part of the Leaver negotiating strategy to build successful talks on the back of going back on our word? What masterful strategists they are!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Re comments about Corbyn leaving or being replaced. McDonnell, is arguably worse. He wants to seize the means of production as he told the brothers.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Yeah but while Corbyn has this (utterly false) affable, lovable, peace-loving persona, much beloved by his followers, McDonnell has the appeal of gangrene.

He might be a worse prospect for the country, but he'd fail to energise the base in the same way and - IMHO - would see Labour on sub-30%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Boris went to Oxford and is a classicist, it is not that, just charisma normally wins general elections
    Boris does seem to be lucky in love though.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

FPT

Alastair is just that crazy old guy who comes and sits next to you on the bus and rants about space aliens. Don't pay him no never mind. Think of him like those WWI invalids with shell shock. There are a few of them around...Adonis, Grayling, Maugham etc.
    No. Just a guy who despises those who continue to propagate xenophobic lies and those who seek to benefit from them.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It was, wasn't it? The whole header was good too, mind.
    Simple mistake or telling mistake? :)
  • Options

FF43 said:

Key passage :

Why would they do that? Right or wrong they seem to believe we will always bend first, and little more than whispers that rarely materialise indicates otherwise.
  • Options

Clearest sign yet that Corbyn will not be around for much longer... At 1:04 in that interview "The Prime Minister delivering Brexit, if it's us, will be ensuring that..."

Which I interpret as, "if Labour are negotiating Brexit the PM will not be me".
    Might just be he's thought of himself as an outsider for so long his default language places himself outside the leadership.
  • Options

FPT

It’s going to take a long long time before you get to be a big man.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fianna-fáil-and-sdlp-in-negotiations-over-merger-1.3602403

Has this been discussed?
    Another step towards normalising a united Ireland?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fianna-fáil-and-sdlp-in-negotiations-over-merger-1.3602403

Has this been discussed?

No, it makes zero difference as a majority of Catholic SDLP voters already back a united Ireland as do FF at least in theory (they are after all De Valera's Party) and the SDLP have 0 MPs anyway and given Stormont is still suspended effectively no representatives beyond a few Councillors.

It is mainly to keep some SDLP MEPs post Brexit it seems
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

Has this been discussed?

No, it makes zero difference as a majority of Catholic SDLP voters already back a united Ireland as do FF at least in theory (they are after all De Valera's Party) and the SDLP have 0 MPs anyway and given Stormont is still suspended effectively no representatives beyond a few Councillors
    Cheers. Interesting to read about it in that context. What about the possibility of the UK Labour Party running Westminster candidates in NI?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Has this been discussed?

No, it makes zero difference as a majority of Catholic SDLP voters already back a united Ireland as do FF at least in theory (they are after all De Valera's Party) and the SDLP have 0 MPs anyway and given Stormont is still suspended effectively no representatives beyond a few Councillors
    Cheers. Interesting to read about it in that context. What about the possibility of the UK Labour Party running Westminster candidates in NI?
    Unlikely, certainly under Corbyn, in any case it is the SF and DUP show at the moment with other parties not getting a look in in NI
  • Options
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Key passage :

We agreed the backstop in December.

Is it now part of the Leaver negotiating strategy to build successful talks on the back of going back on our word? What masterful strategists they are!

We did but we didn't agree the detail of the backstop and their detail is different to ours and not what was agreed.

What was agreed in December was a backstop that would apply to the whole of the UK including NI and that there would be no barriers between NI and GB unless NI agreed to them (ironically that is Article 50 of the agreement from December). They now want the backstop to be NI only and not apply to GB. The DUP would have vetoed that last December and quite rightly too. It is the EU that is backsliding.
  • Options

FPT

Or you. Those exact words are on the EU's own website but you're not big enough to accept that. How dare leavers use the EU's own words!?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

FPT

What does that even mean?

It’s OK Mr Meeks. We already know you think that it’s acceptable for the British government to tell Turkey one thing, and expect the electorate to accept a nod and a wink that something else is the case. Cameron would have won the referendum if he’d vetoed Turkish entry or at least promised a referendum while the Tories are in power.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

FPT

What does that even mean?

It’s OK Mr Meeks. We already know you think that it’s acceptable for the British government to tell Turkey one thing, and expect the electorate to accept a nod and a wink that something else is the case. Cameron would have won the referendum if he’d vetoed Turkish entry or at least promised a referendum while the Tories are in power.
    Interesting both of you focus on the lie aspect (newsflash Turkey isn’t joining the EU) and neither of you think about the xenophobic bit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Have they tried asking a Mr. Largo of Nassau?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

FPT

Jesus.
This discussion has been closed.