Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Optionally Rewarding – The Dark Side of Sha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Optionally Rewarding – The Dark Side of Share Options

Look in any company report, and you’ll see pages of details about executive compensation. And the biggest part of this is – however dressed up – share options.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    First....as in out the door...for the app developer responsible for the Tory conference app.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    FPT:

An excellent piece for me from the always readable Simon Jenkins:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/28/take-control-brussels-london-whitehall-centralised

It's disappointing the LDs are so obsessed with stopping Brexit they aren't running with this which is frankly a damning indictment of our over-centralised State.
  • Options
    An aside: I've heard that Youtube doesn't like short videos any more, and prefers them to be at least 10 minutes long.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

An aside: I've heard that Youtube doesn't like short videos any more, and prefers them to be at least 10 minutes long.

That is my understanding, it changed a few months ago. Give it another few months and it will probably change again.
  • Options
    If not careful this could fall apart for Europe in the golf...Christmas might not be cancelled after all!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    FPT:

If I was writing the PM's speech I would include two big ticket items:

1. £3000 worth of travel costs relief at basic rate, something only those who work benefit from. Loads of companies have travel loan programmes, it wouldn't be difficult to offer basic rate relief.

2. Mortgage interest relief at the basic rate for first time buyers for the first 5 years of a mortgage.

Fuck the deficit, there's no votes in fiscal continence at the moment. We need to win in 2022, even if it means a little bit less tax take.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    This app thing. Feel sorry for whatever minion is getting ripped to shreds right now.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

1. £3000 worth of travel costs relief at basic rate, something only those who work benefit from. Loads of companies have travel loan programmes, it wouldn't be difficult to offer basic rate relief.

2. Mortgage interest relief at the basic rate for first time buyers for the first 5 years of a mortgage.

Fuck the deficit, there's no votes in fiscal continence at the moment. We need to win in 2022, even if it means a little bit less tax take.

I am not sure as a retail offer they cut through like jezzas stuff like free uni for you/ your kids, £500 “bung” (paid for by your company).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    FPT

Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Is it prudent for her to have tweeted what she just did?
    If she logged into the app, clicked on Boris Johnson as a conference registrant and his email and phone number were listed on the app I don't see its her fault?
    That’s not what it sounds like, people were talking about being able to log in and post a message as someone else.

I’m guessing that they’ve done something really stupid like set the username and password as the email address, then asked people to change the password the first time they log in. So if you know the email address of someone who’s not used the app yet, you can log in as them and view their own profile.
    One has to ask why did they need to have personal details in the app at all. In fact, is there really a need for an app.

There does seem an obsession for having to make an app for everything these days, most of which is trash.
    I’ll guess that the contact details are there to allow delegates to send each other ‘virtual’ business cards during the conference via the app, or similar functionality. Collecting details is useful for the organiser’s post-Conference reporting, to allow followup and feedback.

The app itself is very useful for the conference organiser, it allows them to see who attends each event and room, see who meets with each other, allows functionality like voting buttons in the meetings, social media integration etc. For the delegate, it provides them a schedule, notifies of changes of time and venue, allows delegates to message each other and exchange details etc.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

Hammond might flounce, though....

So sign me up!
  • Options

Youtube pays out to creators based on a formula that includes time watched as well as number of video views. This encourages longer videos to maximise revenue.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, indeed.

And don't put anything remotely violent or naughty in titles. Because the Almighty Algorithm will smite thee. And smote shalt thee be.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

FPT:

I am not sure as a retail offer they cut through like jezzas stuff like free uni for you/ your kids, £500 “bung” (paid for by your company).
    I think it speaks to people who loathe the railway companies and resent paying so much for such shitty service.

The other obviously speaks to first time buyers and everyone struggling to get on the housing ladder.

Specific policies targeted at people who can be convinced to stick with us or vote for us if we make their lives just a little bit easier/better. It's not about giving everything away and pretending that we can afford to nationalise the railways and give away free travel or whatever Labour are saying, it's a realistic offer that people will believe can be delivered.
  • Options
    Also, both of those policies will help us shake the image that we don't care about working people and only exist to get the votes of old people.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

Reverse the fiscal drag that’s pulled more and more people into the 40% rate.

Reverse benefit-in-kind treatment of employer-provided healthcare

Work to integrate income tax and NI, specifically so that idle rich pay more on index-linked final salary pensions.

Allow councils to increase local taxes for social care, aim to reduce central support for local government.

And most importantly, run a balanced budget and shout about it from the rooftops. Go hard on those in bright red who will borrow even more from your grandchildren to pay for today’s largesse.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    stodge said:

FPT:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/28/take-control-brussels-london-whitehall-centralised

It's disappointing the LDs are so obsessed with stopping Brexit they aren't running with this which is frankly a damning indictment of our over-centralised State.

I am hoping that post Brexit, we LDs can start to speak of other things.

I am going on the OCT 20 march though.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I've heard that shorter videos simply don't get shown to people, again via the dread algorithm. That then naturally decreases views.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited September 2018
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

FPT:

I am hoping that post Brexit, we LDs can start to speak of other things.
    Why can you not do it now? It isn't as though Brexit issues will not be paramount for a long time, so you may as well start at least thinking about other things at the same time.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    What is it about the Tories and their conference? We had letters falling off a display during the PM’s speech last year, and now this?

Is it really so difficult? Perhaps, in accordance with Conservatice principles, the Party should contract out conferences to someone who know’s what they’re doing. Looking at random, these guys look like they’d do a better job:

https://cleaningshow.co.uk

Or perhaps these chaps (and chapettes):

http://www.btaloos.co.uk/?page_id=305

Give us strength, O Lord.
  • Options
    Going to be 10-6 going into the singles.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    App was made by Australian firm Crown Comms apparently. Can’t trust those ex-convicts with anything (obviously joking)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

App was made by Australian firm Crown Comms apparently. Can’t trust those ex-convicts with anything (obviously joking)

Yes, that's completely unfair. Can't trust them with a cricket ball, that's fair enough. But anything? That's harsh
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    edited September 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

What is it about the Tories and their conference? We had letters falling off a display during the PM’s speech last year, and now this?

Is it really so difficult? Perhaps, in accordance with Conservatice principles, the Party should contract out conferences to someone who know’s what they’re doing. Looking at random, these guys look like they’d do a better job:

Clearly the app industry should be nationalised. :)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Jonathan said:

This app thing. Feel sorry for whatever minion is getting ripped to shreds right now.

One’s meant to blame first, reflect later but mistakes happen. Nobody died.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

Everywhere, politicians are realising that fiscal rectitude doesn't pay anyome. The long-term consequences of deficit spending are always the same: inflation.

The forty year bond bear market has begun. Owning 50 year bonds with low yields will be an excellent way to lose money.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

RoyalBlue said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Edit: don’t you mean the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760
    RoyalBlue said:

Would it be wicked to point out that this year's conference of the Royal Statistical Society was shortlisted for "Best Conference by an In-House Conference Organiser" by ABPCO?

Why yes. Yes, it would... :)

http://www.conference-news.co.uk/news/abpco-reveals-shortlist-excellence-awards-2018

• Options
    MaxPB said:

So having engaged the EU in a war of bureaucracy, you now wish to open a second front with Labour to see who can piss public money up the wall the fastest.

I'll give you this, @MaxPB : you're certainly ambitious. A lesser man would not wish to fight on the ground of their enemy's choosing... :)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

Work to integrate income tax and NI, specifically so that idle rich pay more on index-linked final salary pensions.

Allow councils to increase local taxes for social care, aim to reduce central support for local government.

And most importantly, run a balanced budget and shout about it from the rooftops. Go hard on those in bright red who will borrow even more from your grandchildren to pay for today’s largesse.
    ...is the correct answer, and will not get you elected.

There are no votes in fiscal rectitude. See Corbyn, Trump, and Five Star in Italy.

UK 50 year government bonds yield 3.5%. Do you feel lucky?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

“Aim to reduce central support for local government” that has most certainly being a success. We need a radical approach on local taxation. If local police and crime commissioners want to increase th precept to pay for more police, good for them, go for it. There might (probably will be) quite a lot of support for the, they are elected positions. Remove the cap on the increase, same for councils with social care responsibilities. The precedent has already been set for hypothciated council tax increases for social care. Remove the cap on that also.
  • Options

That is my understanding, it changed a few months ago. Give it another few months and it will probably change again.
    I guess I'd better hum Jerusalem for two minutes at the end of every video to get them up to the required length.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I guess I'd better hum Jerusalem for two minutes at the end of every video to get them up to the required length.
    It would be better than some leading YouTube’s filler content....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think they don't have to have any content, they just have to be ten minutes (+1 second?) long. You can have a seven-minute video with a three-minute blank screen added on

Speaking seriously, there are guidelines on youtube and google on how to maximise your clickage.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Ah, a challenge! You could try going all McDonnell and farming out the leadership to a social cooperative of members in Tunbridge Wells. Worth a try!
  • Options
    notme said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

“Aim to reduce central support for local government” that has most certainly being a success. We need a radical approach on local taxation. If local police and crime commissioners want to increase th precept to pay for more police, good for them, go for it. There might (probably will be) quite a lot of support for the, they are elected positions. Remove the cap on the increase, same for councils with social care responsibilities. The precedent has already been set for hypothciated council tax increases for social care. Remove the cap on that also.
    The problems with reducing support for local councils have been seen in the US with municipalities and cities. Their long-term costs (pensions for former employees, care for the elderly etc.) keep rising. This forces them to reduce spending on education, and to push up property taxes. This results in young people at the beginnings of their careers heading out to places where education is better funded and property taxes lower - worsening the issue.

It's the demographic problem in a microcosm, and it's going to result in a raft of municipalities in the US going bust.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I think they don't have to have any content, they just have to be ten minutes (+1 second?) long. You can have a seven-minute video with a three-minute blank screen added on

Speaking seriously, there are guidelines on youtube and google on how to maximise your clickage.
    I suspect you're right, by the way. I've not have anywhere near the normal number of clicks (so far) for this video despite it being - I think - pretty good.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Still turkey twizzlers for Christmas dinner?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

There are no votes in fiscal rectitude. See Corbyn, Trump, and Five Star in Italy.

There are hopefully more votes in fiscal rectitude than in rectal fistitude. :)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Ah, a challenge! You could try going all McDonnell and farming out the leadership to a social cooperative of members in Tunbridge Wells. Worth a try!
    And on that farm he had some fat cats?
  • Options

Still turkey twizzlers for Christmas dinner?
    Yeah, and if lucky washed down with rolla-cola.
  • Options

I’m doing some work with one of their competitors at the moment. Should be a good Q4!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’m doing some work with one of their competitors at the moment. Should be a good Q4!
    Definitely not turkey twizzlers for your chrimbo lunch....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

I know you’re overseas but it’s before the watershed here!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, that's completely unfair. Can't trust them with a cricket ball, that's fair enough. But anything? That's harsh
    Well they also behind one of the worse corporate takeovers in recent history, Homebase!!!!
  • Options
    matt said:

Jonathan said:

This is a piece of software thst appears to have been knocked up and chucked into a production environment with no release procedure, sign off on acceptance tests - there actually isn’t any excuse for such a basic error - it indicates a dev environment where nobody actually knows how to support each other to avoid these obvious potential problems
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Anyone want Boris's number

Shambles
  • Options

Why? I mean why Australian? Are there no British app-makers or was Lynton Crosby asked for a recommendation and if so, how sure are we there will be no snap election?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

This is a piece of software thst appears to have been knocked up and chucked into a production environment with no release procedure, sign off on acceptance tests - there actually isn’t any excuse for such a basic error - it indicates a dev environment where nobody actually knows how to support each other to avoid these obvious potential problems
    That’s the modern way - work fast and break things, as a famous CEO said not so long ago.

Software companies, especially the smaller ones, love to have dev guys and customers working together, fixing stuff on the fly to make their product “dynamic” and “flexible”. Who cares about QA, just let the customers find the bugs. Nothing can seriously go wrong, can it...?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Shambles

Don’t you mean app-solute shambles*....I will get my coat.

* won’t be shocked if sun or mirror headline tomorrow
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    The Conservatives really aren't very good at IT. Or conferences.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Mostly disagree.

I know you’re overseas but it’s before the watershed here!
    Sorry, couldn’t resist. Hope no-one was eating their dinner...
  • Options
    edited September 2018

No politicial parties are....nhs IT scheme etc etc etc

It is why I don't want them anywhere near social media registers, back doors in security software, and every other idiotic scheme they have proposed over the past few years.
  • Options
    Opportunity

To find out the personal information of everone who is a delegate
  • Options

Shambles

I think most of us had his number years ago, actually...
  • Options

There will a be a CIO vacancy probably by next week, if anyone wants it?

(Thinks about it for a few seconds...)

No thanks. I’ll also bet they pay way under market rate, when they should be paying way over given the profile.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I suspect you're right, by the way. I've not have anywhere near the normal number of clicks (so far) for this video despite it being - I think - pretty good.
    Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJEtCvb2Kw
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

That’s the modern way - work fast and break things, as a famous CEO said not so long ago.

Software companies, especially the smaller ones, love to have dev guys and customers working together, fixing stuff on the fly to make their product “dynamic” and “flexible”. Who cares about QA, just let the customers find the bugs. Nothing can seriously go wrong, can it...?
    The funny bit is that management hear phrases like "agile development", and assume they mean fast.
  • Options

Shambles

It shows a certain lack of comms sense, certainly.

I must admire the brilliance of your pun though. It was apps-olutely on the money.
  • Options
    OPPORTUNITY

O TITY
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    notme said:

The problem with reducing the central financial support to local Government is that it has been done in conjunction with a) passing responsibility for areas such as Public Health to local Government without funding and b) not anticipating or failing to appreciate the rise in the demand and cost of the core activities of the provision of care for vulnerable children and adults.

The other aspect of this is geographical - a well-run county like East Sussex is suffering because of its own demographics. There are simply too many elderly people requiring care and that usually doesn't mean a place in a care home but domiciliary care which costs a lot to provide. The answer to the care crisis lies as much in the funding of this domiciliary care as in residential or specialist dementia care.

The other absurd aspect of this is how Government money is dispensed - it is either doled out to every Council using formulae devised by central Government or it is subject to a bureaucratic bidding process. Too much Officer time is spent preparing on bids for central Government funding and if those bids are unsuccessful that is time wasted.

The funding of local Government needs to be wholly removed from central Government involvement but at the same time the responsibility for deciding where the money is spent should lie with accountable local Councillors.

• Options
    Imagine if Facebook had developed this app...not only would all attendees details have been exposed but probably all of their friends and friends of friends as well...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

kingbongo said:

matt said:

Jonathan said:

The funny bit is that management hear phrases like "agile development", and assume they mean fast.
    Agile can be made to work in certain scenarios, providing the teams are well organised and everyone is up to speed. Most likely those criteria are not met, and an ongoing mess/crisis is the result.

I wouldn’t recommend it for anything involving customer data though, or anything subject to GDPR, PCI DSS or putting on aeroplanes, trains, power stations, political conferences, that sort of thing...
  • Options

Shambles

Politicians need their hands holding on IT by an app-propriate adult.....
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Good. Labour getting found out on Brexit.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Made me laugh even more than the #ToryCtapApp

https://twitter.com/evertonfc2/status/1045910730246107136

#Kavanaughnovote
  • Options
    Ooh, another six point lead. Fingers crossed for this time next week...
  • Options
    Labour have spent the past few days looking like quarrelsome and not very bright primary school children. It is not surprising their polling is underwhelming.

However, it is now the Tories' turn, and I will not be taking any polling seriously until their own efforts in this regard have filtered through.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Full FBI investigation incoming, if anything is off with Brett this should find it.
  • Options
    That cartoon is searing.
  • Options

Good. Labour getting found out on Brexit.
    Labour's position on Brexit is fine for opposition, but they're going to be found out come election time. To be honest their best bet is to have the whole process moved onward come GE2022 as farf as possible so they can do a eurosceptic version of the whole Hague "Lisbon is unreversible" schtick.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    rcs1000 said:

Everywhere, politicians are realising that fiscal rectitude doesn't pay anyome. The long-term consequences of deficit spending are always the same: inflation.

Japan:
    National debt: 233% of GDP
    Inflation: 1.3%/annum.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ooh, another six point lead. Fingers crossed for this time next week...
    Its not another its the one from Wednesday last week
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Japan:
    National debt: 233% of GDP
    Inflation: 1.3%/annum.
    Peter Pham analyses Japan's debt here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterpham/2017/12/11/when-will-japans-debt-crisis-implode/#75fba4b4c6d9

TLDR at the moment, it is OK because of globally low interest rates. Big crunch point in ~ 2040.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Full FBI investigation incoming, if anything is off with Brett this should find it.
    Full 7 day max investigation. Even if things are off it may not be possible to ever find proof let alone in 7 days.
  • Options
    QT audience were very down on Labour’s Brexit ambiguities this week.

Maybe Remainers are beginning to be seen as the problem, Leavers as the solution?

And, just for @currystar - the economy is absolutely stonking!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Greens just 11% behind the CDU/CSU in new poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Forsa poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 28%
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 17% (+1)
    SPD-S&D: 16% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 15%
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 9%

Field work: 24-28/09/18
    Sample size: 2,501"
  • Options
    HELLO

Its the one that was released last Wednesday
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Greens just 11% behind the CDU/CSU in new poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Forsa poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 28%
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 17% (+1)
    SPD-S&D: 16% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 15%
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 9%

Field work: 24-28/09/18
    Sample size: 2,501"

More important is surely Greens are the opposition in that poll? Which is reassuring there was an assumption that opposition might coalesce with the AfD but it seems to have found a healthier outlet.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
  • Options

HELLO

Its the one that was released last Wednesday
    Rattled, BJO?

Turns out the public don’t like a Lefty love in after all?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Maybe Remainers are beginning to be seen as the problem, Leavers as the solution?

Its almost as if leavers think that they are seeking to set aside the vote and remainers think Labour is no longer to be trusted. Weird.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Pulpstar said:

Full 7 day max investigation. Even if things are off it may not be possible to ever find proof let alone in 7 days.
    If the FBI were even able to determine a date and venue for this party, it would be helpful.
  • Options

HELLO

MCFLY

• Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Its almost as if leavers think that they are seeking to set aside the vote and remainers think Labour is no longer to be trusted. Weird.
    ;)

I’ve just read the most boring interview yet with a possible Tory leadership candidate.

Please god no, don’t choose Liddington.
  • Options
    App-gate and a crap May conference speech, plus some infighting and some twattish Tories found swigging Champers should soon put an end to the 6-point lead.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Scope is limited.
  • Options

App-gate and a crap May conference speech, plus some infighting and some twattish Tories found swigging Champers should soon put an end to the 6-point lead.

I doubt the app fiasco will move the dial, to be honest. It’s a bubble story.

A bad speech would, though.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

;)

I’ve just read the most boring interview yet with a possible Tory leadership candidate.

Please god no, don’t choose Liddington.
    Liddington is surely only there so that Hammond looks like he has got a sense of humour and is really frivolous.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I was sort of joking. Actually, what will probably happen, is it really pisses off journos and then they are super grumpy and that isn't a good thing if you want some positive PR.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

If the FBI were even able to determine a date and venue for this party, it would be helpful.
    Who was there would be good too.
  • Options

This discussion has been closed.