Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab’s resignation sparks off huge movements on the TMay exit,

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab’s resignation sparks off huge movements on the TMay exit, next GE date & next CON leader betting markets

Follow @MSmithsonPB // < ![CDATA[ // < ![CDATA[ xfunction(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(https://politicalwire.com/2018/04/15/stormy-daniels-will-be-at-cohens-court-hearing/!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); // ]]>

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Shame.
  • Options
    Damn the Leavers to hell.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    May desperately needs Javid, Gove and Hunt to come out and clearly support her very quickly. Hard to see her seeing out the next 24 hours if they don't.
  • Options

Or geography class, at least.....

Will be interesting to see May’s response....and if she replaces him...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995

I fear voicing my views of them would rapidly lead to a ban.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    2018 has reappeared for next GE!
  • Options
    So, Dominic Raab has put his career before his country - having only just learned where his country is.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    The deal that Theresa May and Olly Robbins have cooked up is what happens when you task vegans with making a meat pie.

• Options
    FPT

Roger said:

If Brexit destroys the cancer of British Euroscepticism then the referendum will have been worth it.
    That's quite profound.
    It won't we'll still be in this cycle in 10 years whatever happens.
    Not if No Deal is the shit show I expect it to be.

Remember how the Winter of Discontent screwed Labour, just imagine having to deal with deaths caused by No Deal.

You’ll be like appeasers in 1945 saying we were right to appease Herr Hitler.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995

The deal that Theresa May and Olly Robbins have cooked up is what happens when you task vegans with making a meat pie.

You're a leaver. You argued for leave.

You own this, and you own the consequences.
  • Options
    This is the result of hard brexiteers and hard remainers failing to compromise.

I suspect a second referendum is becoming odds on

I doubt TM can survive this
  • Options

I feel very comfortable about what I tweeted about the Buccaneers on Monday:
    https://twitter.com/SpaJw/status/1062404068881113093

• Options

Or geography class, at least.....

Will be interesting to see May’s response....and if she replaces him...
    Gove makes sense on many levels.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

May desperately needs Javid, Gove and Hunt to come out and clearly support her very quickly. Hard to see her seeing out the next 24 hours if they don't.

Ironically, the PM might have been thrown a lifeline on the 1922 front if 48 backbenchers pause from their letter-writing to see if she will go anyway.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    My Year of exit date market position is an absolute and utter mess.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I wake up, and what do I find?

I have no words. What a depressing time to be British.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Can someone explain to me why the hasn't government been preparing for no deal along with the negotiations with the EU on a deal?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The only surprising thing about this is that anyone is surprised.

Raab is Davis' minion. Resigning is what these guys do.

• Options
    Who knew the Tories could implode over Europe....

daily episode 2,567,456

it's SO boring.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Don't worry there are no Leavers here. They're still out celebrating the battle of Waterloo
  • Options
    DOMINIC Raab has unveiled plans to throw petrol bombs at your house and then petrol bomb the fire engine as soon as it arrives.

Raab said he could not ‘in good conscience’ stand by while your house was free of flames and then allow firemen to restrict its ability to burn to the ground.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/dominic-raab-to-petrol-bomb-your-house-then-petrol-bomb-the-fire-brigade-20181115179461
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    DanSmith said:

I think all three are tainted with her now so it won't help.

I've thought for a long while that Mike's wrong about Theresa. Or, rather, he's spot on about her ability to stick in power but wrong because all the while her core support has been eroding. It was only a matter of time before the thing blew up in her face.

We now need a leader with the balls to stand up to Brussels. Either that or we stay in the EU and reform it from within. What we simply cannot have is this awful deal that is worse than being in the EU.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Can someone explain to me why the hasn't government been preparing for no deal along with the negotiations with the EU on a deal?

We have and we are
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Nothing has changed.

(I am brexit horny again)
  • Options
    The fundamental fact in all this is that May does not have the votes in the HoC. She needs to make a bold offer to someone.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    If there was a vonc in a May taking place right this second, I think she'd survive. But I have a feeling that situation could get more fluid imminently. There are plenty of Tory MPs beyond the ERG who probably shudder at the thought of her being utterly unmovable for a year.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

DanSmith said:

I think all three are tainted with her now so it won't help.

I've thought for a long while that Mike's wrong about Theresa. Or, rather, he's spot on about her ability to stick in power but wrong because all the while her core support has been eroding. It was only a matter of time before the thing blew up in her face.

We now need a leader with the balls to stand up to Brussels. Either that or we stay in the EU and reform it from within. What we simply cannot have is this awful deal that is worse than being in the EU.
    We need to stay in the EU and reform ourselves.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

We have and we are
    Then why are people talking about absolute chaos and deaths in the event of no deal?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The fundamental fact in all this is that May does not have the votes in the HoC. She needs to make a bold offer to someone.

A full, open and honest offer to Nick Clegg.

Practically, there are only two parties she can make an offer to: Labour and the SNP. What could she possibly offer them?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Xenon said:

Because May has known for a number of months now that she would get a deal, so why should she take no deal seriously?
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, I wonder about that too.

Suppose the deal either doesn't make it to the Commons or is defeated there. What would MPs do? Vote for a second referendum or go along with No Deal?

I suspect the former may be more likely.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    So, knowing they don’t have votes to defeat May in a confidence vote, the ERG has been waiting for this point. Raab goes along with draft agreement until it is announced, let’s it be agreed by Cabinet, and then resigns with a letter designed to put maximum pressure on May to resign... we now find out how tough she is.

With others, predicted from the outset that Brexit was inherently chaotic and couldn’t be done (safely). Was wavering on that view last night. Now not so much.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour aren't playing ball, so it'll have to be the people.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

So, Dominic Raab has put his career before his country - having only just learned where his country is.

I doubt it

he;s just ended up looking a prat
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Mr. NorthWales, I wonder about that too.

Suppose the deal either doesn't make it to the Commons or is defeated there. What would MPs do? Vote for a second referendum or go along with No Deal?

I suspect the former may be more likely.

I can smell a second referendum. :smile:
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Fenster said:

May to give a statement at 10.30am.

Odds on resigning?
    If she resigns and the No2 takes her place as a stop gap until a successor is elected, is the stop gap considered next PM for betting markets?
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Because Leavers said No Deal was Project Fear because, inter alia, we held all the aces and it should be the easiest trade deal in history.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

We have and we are
    Then why are people talking about absolute chaos and deaths in the event of no deal?
    Because there is a limit to what you can do?

You can prepare for your house burning down, doesn't stop it being a shit day
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr5tFJ1WkAEfnBe.jpg

Don't blame me, I voted for chaos with Ed Miliband. :(
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Jonathan said:

Practically, there are only two parties she can make an offer to: Labour and the SNP. What could she possibly offer them?
    A referendum or an election.

The SNP an IndyRef to opt-out of the deal.
    Labour a 1 Mar General Election.

or

A second referendum. Deal, No Deal or No Brexit.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DanSmith said:

Xenon said:

Because May has known for a number of months now that she would get a deal, so why should she take no deal seriously?
    Getting a deal and getting the deal through Parliament are two entirely different things. That's why No Deal needs to be taken seriously.

As I have previously observed, the UK appears to be in the wonderful position of neither being able to leave or remain in the EU.
  • Options
    Lord Bridges of Headley New entry for next PM at 1000-1 !
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Last week I cam out with the ''To lose one Johnson...' line.

It would be remiss of me not to repeat it, but replacing 'Johnson' with 'Brexit Secretary'.

This government is an utter shambles.

• Options
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ed too.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FPT:

Having discovered that Britain is an island close to France, Dominic Raab has now worked out that he has spent the last few months working ion a deal that essentially keeps the UK in the Customs Union and Single Market for the forseeable future. If he were to become PM he will need ot speed up his ability to learn and absorb information.

Post of the day so far. :lol:
    I agree. Southam for POTY!!! :D:D
    Strikes me this whole exercise has been a process of explaining to Brexiteers that we pooled some sovereignty with EU in order that we didn't have take rules from the huge trading block next door to us without any say.

They must be spectacularly thick if it takes a hammer this big to ram it through their skulls....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

or

she would and could never offer an opt out (and break up the union) to the SNP. NO way No how.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Been like that since June 24th 2016.
  • Options

I mean, I'm pretty sure there are vegan chefs who do a fine job making meat dishes
  • Options

I feel very comfortable about what I tweeted about the Buccaneers on Monday:
    https://twitter.com/SpaJw/status/1062404068881113093

I've just given it a like!
  • Options
    philiph said:

Fenster said:

Odds on resigning?
    If she resigns and the No2 takes her place as a stop gap until a successor is elected, is the stop gap considered next PM for betting markets?
    The markets are generally formulated to exclude caretakers.
  • Options
    McVey gone
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    MC Vey gone.
  • Options

FPT:

Having discovered that Britain is an island close to France, Dominic Raab has now worked out that he has spent the last few months working ion a deal that essentially keeps the UK in the Customs Union and Single Market for the forseeable future. If he were to become PM he will need ot speed up his ability to learn and absorb information.

Strikes me this whole exercise has been a process of explaining to Brexiteers that we pooled some sovereignty with EU in order that we didn't have take rules from the huge trading block next door to us without any say.

They must be spectacularly thick if it takes a hammer this big to ram it through their skulls....

They are thick beyond imagination. But they are totally shielded from the consequences of their stupidity and mendaciousness.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Yes, "Strong and stable" must be one of the least successful slogans in recfent times, both in terms of impressing voters and in terms of what actually happened...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    McVey resigned
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

or

I thought of that, but I don't think the SNP would take Indyref2 now, they want to do it in a couple of years when the Brexit backlash is at its nastiest in Scotland.

But yes: if May made an agreement to form a grand coalition with Corbyn that lasts until the day after the deal is voted through Parliament followed by an immediate dissolution and early Jan election?

Corbyn would go for that.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    McVey Gone!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Government Tories have such a tin ear.

She
    does
    not
    have
    the
    votes.

That is why she is weak. She has to deal with someone. It might now be too late.
  • Options
    The moment DWP people reported she hadn't turned up for work we knew the jig was up.
  • Options

FPT:

They are thick beyond imagination. But they are totally shielded from the consequences of their stupidity and mendaciousness.

I agree, thick as shit
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Anybody going to be watching May in the HoC soon?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited November 2018

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

or

I thought of that, but I don't think the SNP would take Indyref2 now, they want to do it in a couple of years when the Brexit backlash is at its nastiest in Scotland.

But yes: if May made an agreement to form a grand coalition with Corbyn that lasts until the day after the deal is voted through Parliament followed by an immediate dissolution and early Jan election?

She would be out of office the day she suggested it
  • Options
    Shit Corbs is going to be PM soon isn't he.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Nothing has changed.

(I am brexit horny again)

Following the Brexit saga is completely riveting, much better than any fictional drama. It will form the basis for theses, books and political debates for generations. As a manual of how not to do politics, government and statecraft it could not be bettered.

Pity the country though.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

RoyalBlue said:

Been like that since June 24th 2016.
    Sometimes to cheer myself up I like to go back and read the thread from election night 2015. Simple times.
  • Options
    Esther McVey goes. No real surprise as she had a storm with TM yesterday.
    I'd expect Penny Mordaunt to follow.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited November 2018
    Cyclefree said:

If I were the EU and wanted to give May the biggest amount of help without wanting to be seen to be actually helping, I’d be trying to get an EU leader or two or even the full 27 to be saying something along the lines of we’re not extending Article 50.

That puts paid to the whole “oh if we vote this deal down we can ask the nice EU for a bit more time so that we can do some more interminable negotiations and get the magic bean deal that’s just out there!”

I agree. The EU must be fed up to the back teeth with Britain. They should simply say that this is the deal - take it or leave it - so that our self-indulgent politicians realise that the choice is this or No Deal. Those who think that a different government will be able to get some better deal are delusional. If anything the EU may skew the deal even more in its favour. But I rather suspect that they want an end to this interminable saga, made worse by the failure of so many Brexiteers to live in the real world.

Raab - a man who apparently didn't realise the importance of the Dover-Calais route is, frankly, no loss.

The Brexiteers are a big problem. But it's the lack of support from continuity remainers and the 'a new negotiation will work out fine don't worry' crowd that prevents this deal from getting through. The Brexiteers we knew would be against. These neo Brexiteers as I shall call them(for they adopt the same tactics of bland assumption it will work out) think the EU will vastly change position under pm boris/Corbyn. I bet not even the EU saying otherwise would convince them.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I imagine it's always a depressing time to be an anachronism
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    OchEye said:

McVey Gone!

On the hour.

What time exactly did Raab resign?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

or

It's looking like she's going to be out of office today anyway. She's got nothing left to lose. ROLL THOSE DICE.
  • Options
    Either we have a second ref, the Tories are fucked. Or a no deal Brexit, fucked again.

Fucked, fucked, fucked.
  • Options
    Tracey Crouch for DWP
  • Options

He might be already: it is hard to keep up with all the breaking news.
  • Options
    Well if my party delivers, either by design or accident, No Deal I think I’ll have to quit.

Sad.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

OchEye said:

McVey Gone!

On the hour.

9am, on the hour.

Yes, it's going to be one an hour until May's corpse stops twitching.
  • Options
    Deal or stay in referendum is the way to go. "This is best deal we could negotiate. No deal cannot be countenanced by a responsible government. Now full picture is available the people should decide." That will get through Parliament.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Don't blame me, I voted for Ed too.

I'm even more sainted, I voted for the peoples republic of bercow party
  • Options
    I genuinely don't get why these people didn't resign last night. If they couldn't support it no need to take stock of media or party reaction or likelihood of passing and it's not like it is one last favour to May to give her one night of fake unity. Why the delay?
  • Options

Tracey Crouch for DWP

Link ?
  • Options

Early 2019 I think.
  • Options

Tracey Crouch for DWP

Link ?
    I mean I'm launching her campaign. Not an appointment!!
  • Options

Yes, "Strong and stable" must be one of the least successful slogans in recfent times, both in terms of impressing voters and in terms of what actually happened...
    The contrast with "long term economic plan" is interesting. LTEP is obviously much clunkier and less pithy... but it's also basically impossible to parody, and you can actually slip it into a sentence without it sounding forced and unnatural
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

or

It's looking like she's going to be out of office today anyway. She's got nothing left to lose. ROLL THOSE DICE.
    She is not going to make a suicidal offer to labour, though how long she stays in office is another question
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Well if my party delivers, either by design or accident, No Deal I think I’ll have to quit.

Sad.

I think if a Brexiteer takes charge and goes for that - Grieve, Soubry, Clarke will seriously consider VONCing the Gov't. Wolloston, Jo Johnson might even VONC his own brother !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Either we have a second ref, the Tories are fucked. Or a no deal Brexit, fucked again.

Fucked, fucked, fucked.

There is still the option I've suggested before: kick it into the long grass. Extend A50 and set up a royal commission.
  • Options

He might be already: it is hard to keep up with all the breaking news.
    Not if enough MPs block dissolution and propose second referendum.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

or

She's out of office soon anyway, so what?
  • Options

Deal or stay in referendum is the way to go. "This is best deal we could negotiate. No deal cannot be countenanced by a responsible government. Now full picture is available the people should decide." That will get through Parliament.

Frankly now, i'm not sure it would. Labour wouldn't go for it, and the ERG wouldn't go for it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Pro_Rata said:

OchEye said:

McVey Gone!

On the hour.

9am, on the hour.

Yes, it's going to be one an hour until May's corpse stops twitching.
    NI Minister 8am
    Raab 9am
    McVey 10am

Graham Brady statement today??
  • Options
    Betfair May year out market now redder than a Babboon's arse.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2018

The moment DWP people reported she hadn't turned up for work we knew the jig was up.

Are they allowed to sanction her for not turning up to work?

Whatever you say about Esther she has a large flowery signature.
  • Options
    Oy Vey!
  • Options

philiph said:

Fenster said:

Odds on resigning?
    The markets are generally formulated to exclude caretakers.
    There's no such thing as a caretaker PM. Either you're appointed to the job or not.

Technically, there's no requirement to have a PM - there are periods in the 18th century when the country went months without one, and under Churchill and Macmillan, the government operated for weeks without an effective one - so it'd be possible for someone to head the govt on a temporary basis from a different office, but a PM appointed is a PM.
  • Options

Tracey Crouch for DWP

Link ?
    I mean I'm launching her campaign. Not an appointment!!
    May I offer my support...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I genuinely don't get why these people didn't resign last night. If they couldn't support it no need to take stock of media or party reaction or likelihood of passing and it's not like it is one last favour to May to give her one night of fake unity. Why the delay?

Yes you do rather get the impression that they were waiting for the newspapers' reactions.

Dominic Raab decided last night apparently and refused to board the plane waiting to take him to shake hands with Barnier. That's pure May-Robbins connivery.
This discussion has been closed.