Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Odds on Osborne as Cameron’s successor tighten as he takes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Odds on Osborne as Cameron’s successor tighten as he takes an even greater grip on his party in the reshuffle

Ladbrokes: Next Tory leader selected odds
12/1 Osborne (cut from 16)
33/1 Esther McVey (cut from 50)
33/1 Afriyie
http://t.co/Wp8AiqMFLH

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Be interesting if Browne was expressing opposition to bombing Syria.

Why Dave wants to indulge George I've no idea.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2013
    Twigg was useless anyway. For the reasons Plato mentioned in the previous thread

Byrne was always the first likely casuality but he gave a good conference speech

If true, I am surprised Murphy accepted International Development.

I don't think anyone care about Ivan Lewis
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    If Ed Miliband has indeed demoted Jim Murphy, that will go down like a bag of sick in Scotland. Together with Douglas Alexander he is seen as one of the most able and intelligent Labour politicians. Obviously I hope to live long enough to see him lose his seat back to the Tories but he is a very good speaker though clearly by his accent very very Glaswegian.

Incidentally I didn't know Norman Baker is an Aberdonian.
  • Options
    George Eustice at Fisheries
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,355
    tim said:

The tighter the grip the more Osborne likes it.
    Not sure it's good for the party though to have the man who cost them 5% with his election campaign and 5% with his Omnishambles taking over the party.

you're living in the past tim. GO is presiding over a recovery.

Ideal and faultless it is not, but it is a recovery.
  • Options
    Is there any obvious pattern to the LibDem changes? Will Tim Farron or Nick Clegg be the happier man this evening?
  • Options
    Alistair Burt sacked
  • Options
    Just watched the news footage. Alistair Carmichael nearly shook Nick Clegg's hand (and arm) out of its socket.
  • Options
    Has David Cameron announced Jeremy Corbyn's government job yet or indeed that of Peter Tatchell?
  • Options
    fpt:

meanwhile in other news:

good day to bury threats of legal action.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2013
    Tristam Hunt is in Ed's office....
  • Options
    Maria Eagle replaces Mary Creagh at DEFRA.

I need to go to play tennis..so addio for now...
  • Options
    Dugher replaces Jon Trickett at Cabinet Office.

So it looks like Dougie will get Campaign Co-Ordinator
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Night of the red knives for Labour.

Night of the living dead for Lib Dems.

• Options
    Twigg's departure means PM Redward will appoint a lefty to run education. Back to dumbing down and bad for the country's future.
  • Options

Dugher replaces Jon Trickett at Cabinet Office.

So it looks like Dougie will get Campaign Co-Ordinator

3rd time lucky for Dougie ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

If Ed Miliband has indeed demoted Jim Murphy, that will go down like a bag of sick in Scotland. Together with Douglas Alexander he is seen as one of the most able and intelligent Labour politicians. Obviously I hope to live long enough to see him lose his seat back to the Tories but he is a very good speaker though clearly by his accent very very Glaswegian.

Incidentally I didn't know Norman Baker is an Aberdonian.

Dead right about Jim Murphy - one of the few really talented people on the LAB team now demoted.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Twigg's departure means PM Redward will appoint a lefty to run education. Back to dumbing down and bad for the country's future.

Burnham to Education ?

Wonder how Jamie Oliver will react to plans to make school lunches a half pint of plant water out of a vase ?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FPT Plato;

lighten up, It's nothing personal.

You've adopted one of history's greatest philosophers as your moniker, yet you seem oblivious to logical inconsitencies.

When Edmund pointed that out, I found that amusing, so I commented.

If you had a more appropriate username I wouldn't have bothered.
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

Not sure it's good for the party though to have the man who cost them 5% with his election campaign and 5% with his Omnishambles taking over the party.

Osborne is poison for the Tories, most of their setbacks in the last four years are directly attributable to his decisions
    He's been clumsy but he inherited a difficult brief. Stimulate recovery, keep the electorate with him and yet reassure the markets that he was serious about deficit reduction in order to keep debt service levels manageable.

Your counterfactual suggests someone else would have handled this perfectly. There's precious little evidence that any other Cons would have done this, and plenty that anyone on your team would made it far far worse.

Verdict: B+/A-

Not the worst in the world; certainly not poison. He's admittedly not everyone's cup of tea and a posho to boot but still, as we all agree on PB, that's nothing to hold against him.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

man splashing out on credit card claims he's rich.

recovery is when you're earning more money than you're spending.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Given how many Blairites have been knifed today - I assume Mr McCluskey must be delighted.

EdM is dancing to his tune in word and deed.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

Burnham to Education ?

Wonder how Jamie Oliver will react to plans to make school lunches a half pint of plant water out of a vase ?

LOL
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 10m

A close ally of @jimmurphymp describes his demotion as "surprising, to say the least".

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    The Shadow Cabinet reshuffle reminds me of the Stalinist purges of the 1930s.

Will a series of show trials now follow the 3:00 am knock on the door? Will the Blairites all be declared "Enemies of the People"?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    It looks like Dave has been chillaxing while Osborne reshapes the middle ranks of the cabinet.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

Osborne is poison for the Tories, most of their setbacks in the last four years are directly attributable to his decisions
    He's been clumsy but he inherited a difficult brief. Stimulate recovery, keep the electorate with him and yet reassure the markets that he was serious about deficit reduction in order to keep debt service levels manageable.

Your counterfactual suggests someone else would have handled this perfectly. There's precious little evidence that any other Cons would have done this, and plenty that anyone on your team would made it far far worse.

Not the worst in the world; certainly not poison. He's admittedly not everyone's cup of tea and a posho to boot but still, as we all agree on PB, that's nothing to hold against him.
    he's a useless tit.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Blairite cull indeed.

Ed has emerged strong enough after the conference to be able to do this.

Murphy`s demotion is surprising.Possibly due to his continued talk of a second resolution for armed action against Syria.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

he's a useless tit.
    ha yes well I know he's not your favourite but my point still stands.

Who would have done so much better and what would that have been?

tim's view I get - the house-building, infrastructure "investment" but he couldn't do that until the markets settled down and worked him out a bit.
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT Plato;

lighten up, It's nothing personal.

You've adopted one of history's greatest philosophers as your moniker, yet you seem oblivious to logical inconsitencies.

When Edmund pointed that out, I found that amusing, so I commented.

If you had a more appropriate username I wouldn't have bothered.

No actually - I don't use other's name in vain. So please don't do it to me. And trying to retrofit your comment by using my PB account name as an excuse is really feeble justification.

I've never done it to you so please extend the same courtesy to me.

• Options
    SMukesh said:

Blairite cull indeed.

Murphy`s demotion is surprising.Possibly due to his continued talk of a second resolution for armed action against Syria.

Is the more obvious answer not that Len told him to ditch the Blairites ?

Continues the sharp lurch to the left under Ed.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

It looks like Dave has been chillaxing while Osborne reshapes the middle ranks of the cabinet.

It looks like Ed has been chillaxing while McCluskey reshapes the middle ranks of the Shadow cabinet!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

Blairite cull indeed.

I agree with lurch to the left.There`ll be clear water between the two main parties at the next election.

Incase you didn`t notice,the Unions are not happy with Ed`s reforms on affliation fees.
  • Options
    Harry Cole @MrHarryCole
    Getting strong indication Soubry has got a job at Defence.

Anything that gets her out of finger wagging at Health suits me.
  • Options
    Harry Cole tweeting Sourby to defence (keeps her away from cigarettes I suppose)

• Options
    EdM got the rules changed so that he decides who is in the shadow cabinet and not the PLP.

Ed is stamping his authority on the party.

Strong, strong, strong!

It looks like Ed has been chillaxing while McCluskey reshapes the middle ranks of the Shadow cabinet!
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

Blairite cull indeed.

Incase you didn`t notice,the Unions are not happy with Ed`s reforms on affliation fees.
    Is this cull of centre ground types the payback ?

• Options
    Hills entered the Dunfermline by-election market this morning and has clearly been taking LAB bets as their price has shortened already.

Best prices - Dunfermline by-election

Lab 4/9 BetVictor
    SNP 9/4 Hills
    LD 33/1 Ladbrokes, Paddy Power
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1
  • Options

Can you not do some original thinking rather than attempt to ape someone else blindly?

Especially as it`s far off the mark.

When the shadow Education secretary and Work and Pensions secretary lose their jobs,it`s not a middle level cull.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2013
    I asked on the previous thread some while back if the culling of 2 of the Blairites was true and it now seems that it is plus a demotion. SkyNews is leading with that over the Govt reshuffle. So it would be more appropriate to have a thread OGH, focused just on Labour. Their reshuffle is far far more significant. Meanwhile our tim on here seems perfectly happy with the actions of Red Ed and clearly endorses this new slide leftwards because tim is only pointing out the mistakes of Cameron and Osborne. Their strategic "mistakes" will only harm Osborne's chances in taking over from Cameron, but they will have no effect on the GE. Red Ed's moves are more likely to impact the GE outcome.
  • Options
    If its true Anna Soubry is moving to defence, where goes NPXMP? A higher profile for La Soubry will suit we PB Tories but not the "Tories for NPXMP"
  • Options
    Quite. I really liked Jim Murphy - shame he was a bit of a Skeletor Scot but very good on the telly and a formidable opponent.

Mark Wallace @wallaceme
    Jim Murphy demoted to Shadow DFID is good news for the govt. One of Labour's hardest hitters, sent to the corner of the ring to hold towels.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Topping

he's a useless tit.

tim's view I get - the house-building, infrastructure "investment" but he couldn't do that until the markets settled down and worked him out a bit.

He has reformed very little in the real economy, he welched out of this in 2011 and spent his political capital instead on taxing pasties. There has been no major bank reform to address the oligopoly on the high st and commercial finance, there have be no serious intitaives to rebalance the economy, there has been no bonfire of legislation. He totally misread the Euro crisis, his forced measures on housing and lending came two years too late. The polls speak for his 2012 budget.

As for "market confidence " £350 bn of gilts bought by the BoE is not market confidence it's straight from the Comecon handbook of printing money. Tories who thought Brown and Balls were economic idiots now want to compliment Osborne for implementing the same policies more slowly. He has wasted a Parliament and is not up to the job of reforming the economy.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

Blairite cull indeed.

Why is that the more obvious answer. Murphy made a fool of himself over Falkirk, Twigg has been useless against Gove and EdM isn't a Blairite himself. He hardly needs McCluskey to tell him to reshuffle. And if Red Len really was running the show, do you really think Miliband would be having this special conference to change union affiliation???
  • Options

If its true Anna Soubry is moving to defence, where goes NPXMP? A higher profile for La Soubry will suit we PB Tories but not the "Tories for NPXMP"

NPXMP will be very happy that Soubry is not focusing solely on getting re-elected. A lamb to the slaughter.
  • Options
    Grant Shapps has just called the Shadow Cabinet reshuffle the "Len McCluskey reshuffle" asserting that Ed Miliband has sacked/demoted the Blairites who McCluskey called on him to sack.

Goodness I wonder what the Daily Mail, Telegraph and other headlines will be tomorrow? Possible reference to "Red Ed moving to the left" perchance?
  • Options
    Given that Clegg has made Norman Baker a Minister at the Home Office - we must be grateful that Lembit is no longer an MP - God knows which job he'd get in this reshuffle.

Minister for Asteroids?
  • Options

NPXMP will be very happy that Soubry is not focusing solely on getting re-elected. A lamb to the slaughter.
    I wonder if the "incumbency" factor is different for ministers, junior ministers or backbenchers ?

• Options
    Plato said:

Quite. I really liked Jim Murphy - shame he was a bit of a Skeletor Scot but very good on the telly and a formidable opponent.

Mark Wallace @wallaceme
    Jim Murphy demoted to Shadow DFID is good news for the govt. One of Labour's hardest hitters, sent to the corner of the ring to hold towels.

Murphy is a victim of the Falkirk mess. But only got himself to blame I'm afraid. Delighted to see him demoted, as he is one of very few SLab MPs with half a brain. Without him in the frontline the No side is considerably weakened.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Be fascinated to see who gets labour's education brief, to take on gove
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Whilst it's tempting to blame Len for the cull of the moderates, I really can't see much evidence that Ed needs much encouragement to do it once he could.

If Ed is marching to Len's tune, it's because they've got the same taste in music.
  • Options
    It looks like it when every Blairite is up before the firing squad or demoted to Outer DfiD.

In word and deed - its a lurch to the McCluskey end of politics. No centre ground for EdM here.

Grant Shapps has just called the Shadow Cabinet reshuffle the "Len McCluskey reshuffle" asserting that Ed Miliband has sacked/demoted the Blairites who McCluskey called on him to sack.

Goodness I wonder what the Daily Mail, Telegraph and other headlines will be tomorrow? Possible reference to "Red Ed moving to the left" perchance?

• Options
    SMukesh said:

TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

Blairite cull indeed.

I agree with lurch to the left.There`ll be clear water between the two main parties at the next election.

That would be the Union fight he's quietly kicked in to the long grass ?
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

The dire election campaign and the Omnishambles budget were not related to any "difficult brief" nor have his disastrous appointments, they have been a result of incompetence and arrogance, and he's tightening his grip on the Tories.

Cameron has just promoted some women, any women, it's what Sam wanted him to do, he told us that, meantime Osbornes tentacles are all over the Tory Party and you will regret that.
    for GE2010 GO may have been a nasty poster boy but I'm happy we haven't got to the point where people are dropped because of the image they project.

Omnishambles was half schoolboy in a sweetshop, half sheer terror. It was a hell of a budget to be your first. And omnishambles is receding in the public consciousness.

We are seeing daily how corrosive was the feud between Blair & Brown and I think one of the coalition's strong points is that Cam & GO, for better or worse, are firm friends. GO may very well want to be PM but, like all rightwingers, knows how to follow orders.

As for the women, yes it took its time but they are there now. As are ministers who don't come from traditional posho territory.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited October 2013
    taffys said:

Be fascinated to see who gets labour's education brief, to take on gove

Tristram Hunt, apparently

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'Burnham to Education ?'

Gove wouldn't believe his luck.
  • Options
    Gauntlet gets laid down..

Tory education news ‏@toryeducation

Let's hope the calibre of opposition improves around here...
  • Options
    No centre ground for EdM here.

Well, its proving popular so far, if the polls are to be believed....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @tim - So let's analyse those disastrous appointments in full, shall we? First, Greg Hands, already a whip to Deputy Chief Whip. Who out there knows or cares?

We move on to Matt Hancock who gets a promotion but basically in situ. Now you may not much like Matt, who I grant is a bit too full of himself, but he's pretty good at kicking the goolies out of your mob....which is why you can't stand him. Excellent.

And then other instance of 'pure poison' Sajid Javid whom you detest for seemingly no explicable reason.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 4m

Shadow Education Sec is defo @TristramHuntMP, apparently...
  • Options
    The Blairites look an increasingly ludicrous presence within the Labour Party. It's hard to see any future for them. It must be said that people like Flint, who were once considered Blairites are now very much in the Ed fold.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Is that Tristram I Think Unqualified Teachers Are A Disgrace But I Did It Hunt?

Oh....

"A Labour education spokesman who has condemned government plans to allow more unqualified teachers into the classroom has boasted of taking lessons himself.

Former TV historian Tristram Hunt revealed he ‘teaches in schools’ including delivering a lesson on the Spanish Armada to primary-age pupils.

But he faced charges of hypocrisy because the Labour party policy is for only qualified teachers to be allowed into the classroom.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343918/Labour-frontbencher-opposed-unqualified-teachers-boasts-taking-lessons-TV-historian.html#ixzz2h31es7MC

• Options
    JohnO said:

@tim - So let's analyse those disastrous appointments in full, shall we? First, Greg Hands, already a whip to Deputy Chief Whip. Who out there knows or cares?

We move on to Matt Hancock who gets a promotion but basically in situ. Now you may not much like Matt, who I grant is a bit too full of himself, but he's pretty good at kicking the goolies out of your mob....which is why you can't stand him. Excellent.

And then other instance of 'pure poison' Sajid Javid whom you detest for seemingly no explicable reason.

Doesn't he just dislike him for coming fron an Asian background, I mean aren't all BMEs obliged to vote Labour ? ( Labour passed a law or something )
  • Options
    Burnham keeps his job - lol.
  • Options

Hills entered the Dunfermline by-election market this morning and has clearly been taking LAB bets as their price has shortened already.

Lab 4/9 BetVictor
    SNP 9/4 Hills
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1

If Labour doesn't take Dunfermline at a stroll then the Scottish LibDems is not the only Scottish party with things to worry about for GE2015. Dunfermline was Gordon Brown/Rachel Squires territory and even though it is the Holyrood seat, given the SNP has been in Government for 6 1/2 years and the LibDems are not going to repeat the 2007 surprise in Dunfermline West anything other than an easy Labour win must be a shock.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ROFL the fight against privilege goes on.....

• Options
    edited October 2013
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

he's a useless tit.

The great advantage of being Chancellor of the Exchequer is that the performance of the economy can easily be measured both against that of prior governments and those of the UK's main competitors.

On almost all objective and independent measures, the economy under Osborne has performed better than under Brown and Darling and, currently, it is performing better than almost all its main European and OECD competitors.

Whether you like or loathe Osborne as a man, there is no doubting his performance on a measure of the facts.
  • Options
    BBC
    Andy Burnham to stay as shadow health secretary.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Blairite cull?

Hunt = tethered goat

• Options
    TGOHF said:

I think you'll find that's Ed being strong.
  • Options
    If Ed Miliband has allowed me to speak about Tristram Hunt's background, I would have pointed out he was privately educated before Cambridge. Of course its of no consequence because Ed has decreed we can't talk about backgrounds any more.

Gift for Gove.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    TGOHF said:

Made my day. The dart board remains in place and the bullseye just gets bigger.

I assume its because EdM fears Burnham's supporters who'd rather have Andy as leader so he's keeping him in the hope the Tories kill him off instead.

All very amusing.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    TGOHF

'Shadow Education Sec is defo @TristramHuntMP, apparently...'

A public school fop,surely not?
  • Options
    ROFL the fight against privilege goes on.....

Just the sort of person the tory educationalists have been attacking for wanting to block ordinary people getting the education they received.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Blairite cull?

Maybe Red Ed is a big fan of Tristram writings on the famous Marxist Friedrich Engels...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    I had a feeling this whole litigation against Hunt thing was a ruse by Burnham to hang on to his job - Looks like it's payed off, LOL.
  • Options
    ''The dart board remains in place and the bullseye just gets bigger.''

Champers all round!
  • Options

BBC
    Andy Burnham to stay as shadow health secretary.

Did Andy threaten to sue Ed for unfair dismissal?

• Options
    john_zims said:

TGOHF

'Shadow Education Sec is defo @TristramHuntMP, apparently...'

A public school fop,surely not?

Европейский комиссар @MoodySlayerUK
    Labour #reshuffle. Tristram Julian William Hunt (£16K pa public school and president of Cambridge Footlights) appointed Shadow Education Sec

But he was parachuted into Stoke as their MP having no connection with the place at all. No change there then.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    GIN1138 said:

I had a feeling this whole litigation against Hunt thing was a ruse by Burnham to hang on to his job - Looks like it's payed off, LOL.

Surprised there was even speculation - as soon as Ed didn't disown the legal rubbish instantly Burnham was unsackable until the current brouhaha calms down.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I assume Balls is safe then..
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

he's a useless tit.

The great advantage of being Chancellor of the Exchequer is that the performance of the economy can easily be measured both against that of prior governments and those of the UK's main competitors.

On almost all objective and independent measures, the economy under Osborne has performed better than under Brown and Darling and, currently, it is performing better than almost all its main European and OECD competitors.

Whether you like or loathe Osborne as a man, there is no doubting his performance on a measure of the facts.
    ROFLMAO, yes Avery and historically we have performed better than East Germany too. There was a time when Conservatives use to set their sights a bit higher than Brown the man who bankrupted the UK economy. Have we surpassed his all time high of GDP yet or are we still faliling around after 3 years of Osborne. Read your own post again and weep in shame Mr Pole.

• Options
    So the Honourable Dr Tristram Hunt, product of UCS, part of the Eton Group of Independent Schools is to be Red Ed's solution to Michael Gove walking all over the Labour Party and its union masters. Tee hee hee.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hunt went to a £16k pa school and was President of Cambridge Footlights ?

Just the man to tackle sink schools ...

He's also a TV presenter - that makes him eminently qualified. He knows its Grim Up North.
  • Options
    So Jeremy Browne >

Norman Baker <

Do we think Cleggs on drugs?
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

I think you'll find that's Ed being strong.
    I think you'll find that Labour has built a 32% lead on health in the marginals.

Andy Burnham a man so stupid he's for ever learning the same lessons over and over. Ed chickens out of sacking pillock, that's all we need to know.
  • Options
    I had to tweet that!

So the Honourable Dr Tristram Hunt, product of UCS, part of the Eton Group of Independent Schools is to be Red Ed's solution to Michael Gove walking all over the Labour Party and its union masters. Tee hee hee.

• Options
    Have you seen the Labour lead on education among swing voters that Gove has built?

Why was twigg replaced on such an important brief then????

Nice try.....
  • Options
    Quick question for the PB commentariat: Is everyone who went to public school a fop?
  • Options
    So what happens to Burnham's legal action now ?
  • Options
    Tristram's not been an MP for long, so experience may be a question. However it's good to see people of real intellectual calibre on the front bench of politics. About time someone exposed Gove for what he is.
  • Options

Lab 4/9 BetVictor
    SNP 9/4 Hills
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1

If Labour doesn't take Dunfermline at a stroll then the Scottish LibDems is not the only Scottish party with things to worry about for GE2015. Dunfermline was Gordon Brown/Rachel Squires territory and even though it is the Holyrood seat, given the SNP has been in Government for 6 1/2 years and the LibDems are not going to repeat the 2007 surprise in Dunfermline West anything other than an easy Labour win must be a shock.
    Agreed. It would be utterly astonishing if Labour didn't win, and win comfortably, on 24 October. The SNP would be value at 7/1 (the current 9/4 is miles too short). The Lib Dems would be value at 200/1, which in itself is astonishing given this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4695270.stm
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Quick question for the PB commentariat: Is everyone who went to public school a fop?

No - just the white Tories.

• Options
    Adrian Hilton @Adrian_Hilton
    "By any standards, the Education Secretary is good news for history" (@TristramHuntMP in @spectator April 2012)
  • Options
    tim said:

@Topping

Omnishambles was half schoolboy in a sweetshop, half sheer terror. It was a hell of a budget to be your first.

It was his third, and he screwed it up through arrogance,incompetence and poncing around in the USA while he should have been working on it.
    And knocked 5% off Tory polling which they haven't got back.

Fine, it was his third. I seem to remember the Cons couldn't announce that the day following Friday would be Saturday without somehow c*cking it up and having to "clarify". But we've moved on. The 5% wasn't set in stone; there are some crazy fools out there who think parity might occur before too long. In any case you are around 4-7%.

You're out of date on your criticism - you're probably the only person out there still referring to omnishambles.

It was a gamble (by GO) but guess what - it's working.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Patrick said:

Yes. And a toff, chinless wonder and braying fool. Or so I've been told on PB.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Plato

What is this garbage you oft-repeat about "using my name in vain". You are not God. This is a discussion forum FFS. Expect to be named or do one.

• Options
    Adrian Hilton @Adrian_Hilton
    "(Gove's) English Baccalaureate is already producing a marked upturn" (@TristramHuntMP in @spectator April 2012)

I can see this running for quite a while...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    TGOHF said:

So what happens to Burnham's legal action now ?

It will be ever so quietly dropped of course. ;)

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Two LibDems, Stephen Williams and Dan Rogerson appointed as PUSSies at CLG and DEFRA. The former seems decent but wet...know nothing about the latter.

Who will be the new Housing Minister?
This discussion has been closed.